• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagram

I completely forgot about Bismarck so I queued for it. I immediately remembered why I forgot about it. What a boring fight. Ravana was the complete opposite. Loved it.

Yeah but it requires too much to get into.

Finding 3 randoms that won't leave a group they have no investment in whenever they want doesn't sound appealing or worth it to me when the barrier for entry to things like Extreme Trials is incredibly small in comparison.

Basically any content that almost practically requires you to have friends is something I won't do.

Maybe if the year was 2004 I wouldn't have a problem with it but it's an automatic pass to me now.

Funny you say that.... I love palace of the dead's deeper floors. They provide an insane challenge. I created a mini palace of the dead static 2 weeks ago. I even let someone in with lower than 90/90 on both aether arm and armour and we got to floor 187 and wiped. 2nd week? floor 184 and wipe. 3rd week? We disbanded because 2 people were never showing up. I bet the chimera is what really frustrated them and I can understand getting all the way there and dying to those chimeras as they do catch people off guard. The mechanic is switched around with the ram's voice and the dragon's voice. Basically, people always fuck up and think ram's voice is dragon's voice because of the same name. Instead, ram is to go out and dragon's voice is to get under. Ram is a super fast cast and dragon is longer. if 2 chimera's aggro you it's an instant wipe obviously. Soooo people weren't paying attention to mechanics... got frustrated and rage quit. I tried to find another group on my server with a friend and nobody has joined my party. The deeper floors of palace especially 180-190 and 190-200 provide insane challenge and strategy unlike stupid raid groups for alex which are faceroll easy until somebody keeps wiping the group.

My frustrations aside... I wholeheartedly agree 100% with you that the content requirements for deep palace are insanely stupid. This is an mmo.... if raids have matchmaking why the hell doesn't deep palace? Right now I'm busy playing Persona 5 cause FFXIV is boring as hell with nothing to do but yeah I really wanted to finish palace. Unfortunately, it's too punishing to even bother because people get impatient and start raging hard when they fuck up a mechanic.

I guess palace just isn't that popular sadly.

Foxxsoxx

Finally got to Heavensward content. Currently at the sea of clouds and damn the visuals improved a bit from 2.0 areas. So much more effort seems to have gone into this area compared to any other zone I've seen so far.

Also the 100 quests pre HW were totally redeemed. That ending was mint.

I always thought Palace of the Dead was a boring, samey, not-unpredictable-enough slog; it's a fine idea inspired by other games, but executed in a way that has never captured my attention. I was momentarily excited when they stated the later expanded floors would become steadily more punishing the deeper you dive, but those requirements just to go past Floor 100 just killed that desire for me.

So I'm currently treating the prospect of a new Stormblood Deep Dungeon with as much anticipation as I am for Eureka. That is to say, I'm not expecting much.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yep. HM PotD was pretty cool, 151-199 hit the right spot with that "midcore" light party content and sure enough, the inane requirement to start from 51 and proceed with the same group (a 12-14 hours commitment!) is pretty damn stupid.
And it was probably something silly like being afraid people would band to farm potsherds off floors 101-110 or something.

And it absolutely needs more mechanics. Extra tough enemies you can kill for a chance at better stuff, some simple puzzles, anything at all. Right now it's basically just one mechanic - kill enough mobs on the floor against the timer.

But hey I'm wearing my glass pumpkin earring with pride ever since I got it.

Shahed

Finally got to Heavensward content. Currently at the sea of clouds and damn the visuals improved a bit from 2.0 areas. So much more effort seems to have gone into this area compared to any other zone I've seen so far.

Also the 100 quests pre HW were totally redeemed. That ending was mint.
Wait till you complete Heavensward through to at least end of 3.3. Heavensward story is so much better than ARR, and I actually fond it better than most FF games going back generations.

I've never gone past 100 in a full group; I'll extoll the virtues of the flexible party size because that's a key part of what makes PotD good to me. You can get pretty far solo on the right job and working out how to do so can be decent solo fun, and you can clear the whole thing with one other person. The size of the party morphs the challenges a little--fewer people body pulling or stomping on luring traps, but also no backup when stuff goes south, and on the later floors the instance timer becomes the biggest enemy as you try to figure out where you can rush to still make it through in time. I'm pretty sure 180 Behemoth's meteor spam is harder to heal in a full group although maybe having actual DPS means you don't ever see more than the first cast. Pomander usage is considerably more important, you'll have to do a little more strategizing, etc.

I do still think they should let people random queue in and then hate each other forever when they keep wiping later, but the existing setup is incredibly flexible and the whole thing is definitely tuned to be beatable without a full party.

Funny you say that.... I love palace of the dead's deeper floors. They provide an insane challenge. I created a mini palace of the dead static 2 weeks ago. I even let someone in with lower than 90/90 on both aether arm and armour and we got to floor 187 and wiped. 2nd week? floor 184 and wipe. 3rd week? We disbanded because 2 people were never showing up. I bet the chimera is what really frustrated them and I can understand getting all the way there and dying to those chimeras as they do catch people off guard. The mechanic is switched around with the ram's voice and the dragon's voice. Basically, people always fuck up and think ram's voice is dragon's voice because of the same name. Instead, ram is to go out and dragon's voice is to get under. Ram is a super fast cast and dragon is longer. if 2 chimera's aggro you it's an instant wipe obviously. Soooo people weren't paying attention to mechanics... got frustrated and rage quit. I tried to find another group on my server with a friend and nobody has joined my party. The deeper floors of palace especially 180-190 and 190-200 provide insane challenge and strategy unlike stupid raid groups for alex which are faceroll easy until somebody keeps wiping the group.

My frustrations aside... I wholeheartedly agree 100% with you that the content requirements for deep palace are insanely stupid. This is an mmo.... if raids have matchmaking why the hell doesn't deep palace? Right now I'm busy playing Persona 5 cause FFXIV is boring as hell with nothing to do but yeah I really wanted to finish palace. Unfortunately, it's too punishing to even bother because people get impatient and start raging hard when they fuck up a mechanic.

I might try soloing it one day if I can sort out my sleep schedule.

I also have some EX trials I need to clear at least once like Seph/FSoF/Zurvan.

aka_bueno

How playable is this with a gamepad? I need a new MMO and it's between this or ESO. ESO so far feels great with a controller, like it was designed around it (probably was?). Is FFXIV designed for controllers as well, or is it more like the controls feel shoehorned on a gamepad?

Are some of the classes/jobs best avoided entirely if I'm gonna be using a gamepad? Will I be gimped on gamepad to the point that I shouldn't even bother lol?

Edzi

How playable is this with a gamepad? I need a new MMO and it's between this or ESO. ESO so far feels great with a controller, like it was designed around it (probably was?). Is FFXIV designed for controllers as well, or is it more like the controls feel shoehorned on a gamepad?

Are some of the classes/jobs best avoided entirely if I'm gonna be using a gamepad? Will I be gimped on gamepad to the point that I shouldn't even bother lol?

Completely playable with a gamepad from my experience, though I haven't reached the end game meta yet. Still in HW content.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

FFXIV is designed for controllers. You'll be fine.

BlackJace

Bruh these queue times for 2.0 endgame content are depressing. It's a shame, I feel like raids need a roulette with bonuses for new players or something.

Bruh these queue times for 2.0 endgame content are depressing. It's a shame, I feel like raids need a roulette with bonuses for new players or something.

Tuesday afternoon/evening is my go-to time to jump into queues for anything due to Wondrous Tails. Traffic tapers off after that, but tends to trend upwards on the weekend. Afternoons and evenings in general are always more busy than daytime. American time zones.

What are you queuing for? How long are you waiting?

edit: Maybe take up fishing?

Yeah, the Party Finder is a great resource for doing endgame stuff. Look to see if anyone already has a listing for what you want to do, or just create a listing for it yourself.

iammeiam

That's not possible unfortunately. I think floor 150+ is impossible to solo as certain classes but yeah I've not heard of anyone finishing it solo. I mean you can try for sure as SCH or something but it's gonna be boring xD.

I think some jobs cap out around 130; highest I've seen is SCH in the late 170s

But I'm gonna disagree on the boring. Solo run to 100 for the title is a good way to get acquainted with a new job, and is less boring than running in a full group. Takes more time, but requires more engagement.

Basically I think only doing PotD in 4-mans risks missing one of its best features. It's the only non-nerfed non-echo can't-outgear challenge in the game (Aquapolis had no echo and cant be outgeared but is trivial to do so doesn't quite compete), and it offers some problem solving opportunities. It's not going to be the best gaming experience ever, but it's probably set to be some of HW's longest-lived content.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MNK is pretty busy you have to monitor like 6 buffs/debuffs x_x

BlackJace

Tuesday afternoon/evening is my go-to time to jump into queues for anything due to Wondrous Tails. Traffic tapers off after that, but tends to trend upwards on the weekend. Afternoons and evenings in general are always more busy than daytime. American time zones.

What are you queuing for? How long are you waiting?

edit: Maybe take up fishing?

Just advertise it in PF with bonus, folks will do it.

Yeah, the Party Finder is a great resource for doing endgame stuff. Look to see if anyone already has a listing for what you want to do, or just create a listing for it yourself.

Thanks for the advice, I just finished Labyrinth of the Ancients after a long ass wait. I'll look into the PF for future stuff (like Coil, I'm really interested to try that).

Inbachi

Neo Member
Alright so I think I'll go ahead and purchase the full version this weekend. I'm right around 90 hours into the trial and I'm still liking the game. Mostly I just really need retainers as my inventory is full of crafting materials. XD

I wish I had went for the standalone trial vs the Steam version due to the more frequent sales mentioned above but oh well. I thought I read that the trial is a different client than the full game on Steam though. Is that true? Do I have to completely re-download the game when I purchase the full version? I just assumed that if/when I bought the game it would just "activate" my already downloaded trial.

Thanks for the advice, I just finished Labyrinth of the Ancients after a long ass wait. I'll look into the PF for future stuff (like Coil, I'm really interested to try that).

If you're going for Coil, definitely use Party Finder. If you just want to see the dungeons, but don't care about difficulty, use the "unsynced" feature in Duty Finder. (Open duty finder > click the gear icon in the top right > undersized party) This will effectively turn off the gear syncing feature that is usually in place when you queue up for a dungeon. Which means you'll be tackling Coil - endgame 2.0 content - with people who are kitted out in endgame 3.0 gear. To be clear: Use Party Finder to get the party together, but you still use Duty Finder to actually launch the dungeon. This way you don't have to sit in queue since you already have a team together.

iammeiam

So what's the quickest way to take a class to Lv15 these days with a full armoury bonus?

I have no idea if this is quickest but this is the same lazy method I've used forever with level 1 classes:

Equip all your EXP Bonus Gear
Find a friend with a level 50+ Healer. WHM is my personal favorite but AST is fine too. SCH's lack of spammable Regen means they'd have to actively cast the whole time which is eh.
Teleport to Aleport with your friend. DO NOT BE IN THE SAME PARTY
Go to that little hill outside
Have friend Regen you, then you run around attacking everything. As long as you hit them, you've tagged them. Regen will make threat immediately transition to your buddy, who then actually kills everything.

As long as you tag the mobs, and you're not in a party with the level 60 that does the killing, you get full kill EXP credit. Just do laps for a short period of time, with friend refreshing the Regen, and the XP will get you to 15 pretty quickly. You can then just jon swap and repeat with anything else you want to get to 15. You can move south of Fallguard and do the same thing there for a little bit higher-level mobs once you can survive a single hit from them (Regen should top you off after the first attack), but generally when it's annoying enough to be time to move you're high enough leveled to do something else instead.

Squishy3

If you're queuing for Coil don't bother. It's too difficult to reliably clear with a random party. Hell, I wouldn't trust most people to clear it synced now.

dabig2

Yeah, if you're doing any Crystal Tower stuff, make sure to do it on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. There's a weekly quest that resets on Tuesday that allows you to get an aether oil for 1 of the anima weapon steps in lieu of spending a lot of lore on one. To get this oil you have to run all 3 raids there. Unlike the HW raids, people tend not to do the post ARR stuff for fun or gear, so you have to time it to when you expect people to queue into that, which is usually right after the weekly reset.

Unlike CT, I don't think there's any endgame content important to the Coils; so yeah, as said above, just do Party Finder for all of those. People know by now to never do those synced anyways.

B.K.

What happens when I remove materia from a piece of gear? Is the materia returned to me or is it destroyed in the removal?

B.K.

Did Square Enix nerf the chest drop rate in Heavensward leves? I just went through almost 45 allowances and only got two chests. My luck in the game is pretty bad, but it can't be THAT bad.

Thanks for all the above replies to my question.

Does anyone know if I do the free trial can I still buy the game on Amazon and use that code to activate my free trial character? Or would I have to start over?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Thanks for all the above replies to my question.

Does anyone know if I do the free trial can I still buy the game on Amazon and use that code to activate my free trial character? Or would I have to start over?
You can continue using your Free Trial character once you buy the game! It would be kinda silly to have to start over again once you buy the full game but I can see why you wanted to make sure and ask first.

dabig2

Did Square Enix nerf the chest drop rate in Heavensward leves? I just went through almost 45 allowances and only got two chests. My luck in the game is pretty bad, but it can't be THAT bad.

I was 3 for 3 the other day in HW temple leaves. Got 15 vilekins in mere minutes :D Quit while I was ahead. So nah, I think it's just the RNG at work, and by work I mean working to screw you over.

Stuart444

So, I did more Zurvan today (once a week me and four to six other people have been getting together to practice it).

Tonight the tank that normally comes was busy so I ended up tanking it and I much preferred it than DPSing it (I also felt I did better tanking it instead).

We got past broken seal 1 for the first time and were able to get past it several times successfully but people kept forgetting that he would use a move afterwards and usually got hit by it. We also got past broken seal 2 once but two healers died, no summoner, wipe.

After some people left and we had to regroup (me and four others were premade), we tried again and after one wipe I finally realized (thanks to one of the new people who just joined) that I had my animated broniac (sp?) weapon on instead of my shire weapon. Needlessly to say, I facepalmed. No wonder I couldn't triple fell cleave without losing aggro even with that ninja shade skill on.

With my shire wep it was a lot easier, still didn't clear it though. But I think we have the mechanics down, just need to keep practicing. But I think we can do it.

You can continue using your Free Trial character once you buy the game! It would be kinda silly to have to start over again once you buy the full game but I can see why you wanted to make sure and ask first.

Yea you never know! I definitely thought it would be fine.

Last question before I take the dive. -- Controller or KB/Mouse?

I played a lot of Final Fantasy XI on the controller and remember not liking it on M/KB much

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Yea you never know! I definitely thought it would be fine.

Last question before I take the dive. -- Controller or KB/Mouse?

I played a lot of Final Fantasy XI on the controller and remember not liking it on M/KB much
Just make sure you don't download the trial from Steam. That one is locked to the steam version of the full game and will require it to continue playing the same character.

I use a controller on pc but the game fully supports both so it's up to you.

Valor

MNK is pretty busy you have to monitor like 6 buffs/debuffs x_x

Not really. Rotation is relatively braindead since it's timed out pretty well for the most part. The only things to watch for is Touch of Death and using Fracture to not clip a Demolish tick. Dragon Kick/Twin Snakes/Demolish all come up like clockwork, and keeping GL3 is more dependent on the fight rather than finding a way to go 14 seconds without refreshing it during uptime. At first maybe it seems overwhelming but once you get used to it you can set your watch to it that's how rote the pattern is.

To me it feels like SMN is the busiest job. Keeping up with pet actions and shifting in and out of trance and all that is pretty overwhelming to me. I'm sure it's just as basic once you get it down but for now it's all pretty much like John Madden whenever I try to dps on it.

random question - i have the digital download version of xiv on ps4 and i am looking to get the disc of heavensward, can someone explain to me how that will work? will i need to use the disk each time? will i have two games installed on my playstation?

Cmagus

Our group made it to floor 170 last night in Palace of the Dead but wiped on the snake boss, feels bad but it was a lot of fun. The later areas look amazing and I really like the open concept it feels better than corridors

Honestly I think part of the problem is that when you die you go all the way back to 50.most people I know who attempted it gave up because of that simply because those floors are a hassle. They really need to add a checkpoint at 100. Our group is gonna attempt it again but if we wipe we will probably just move on ot at least I will seeing as we ran for two days just to get there.

Leunam

random question - i have the digital download version of xiv on ps4 and i am looking to get the disc of heavensward, can someone explain to me how that will work? will i need to use the disk each time? will i have two games installed on my playstation?

You'll install Heavensward but you won't need the disk to play.

Re-subbed yesterday and I unlocked Palace of the Dead. I'm trying to level my new Astrologian job in order for it to catch up to my level 56 Ninja so I have more options when tackling HW story content. Which is the fastest way to level up for my currently level 32 Astrologian? PotD, Fates, dungeons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom