• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The omst trouble I've ever had with targeting in this game is trying to snap to that damned armored pauldron in a11s. Even by putting myself in between CC and EDD I would still somehow always snap to the boss before it would let me cycle to the pauldron.
For pauldron I put the camera vertically above my character facing away from Cruise Chaser so there's no chance at going back to the boss.

SOLDIER

Go into key binds and make one 'target nearest'; that will help the immediate issue.

Tab target cycling in this game is wacky and not great, but usable once you adjust to it. Tab will cycle through the screen starting from your target, going to the right. So if you have two guys in front of you, and then an unaggro'd pack visible in the upper right corner, and you're hitting the right-most close dude, tab targeting will cycle through the entire far away pack before it goes to the left side. Like this shamelessly stolen reddit pic:

It's dumb but you get used to adjusting the camera to account for it; you can also cancel your current target and then hit 'target nearest' to cycle if the thing you're attacking is going to die in the next second or two. I think remapping tab to target nearest and then making shift+tab the cycling option is semi-common, but I'm a controller scrub by choice.

Oh yes, I do use tab cycling (mapped to middle mouse), and it's every bit as cumbersome as that picture indicates.

I was still hoping for an automatic targeting of an enemy after you kill one, because those 3-5 seconds of your character standing around with an unsheathed weapon while you choose your next foe is pretty annoying. It's baffling why FFXI had this feature and FFXIV doesn't.

But to change gears, what's the current best way to make money? Seems Materia has plummeted in market value, so I need another way to make a steady income.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm going to come back to the PC version of this. I don't own Heavensward (I'm only level 23 or 24, so I never saw a reason to buy it). Is there a discount or way to get it cheaper? Or something that includes game time?

jWILL253

Banned
I'm going to come back to the PC version of this. I don't own Heavensward (I'm only level 23 or 24, so I never saw a reason to buy it). Is there a discount or way to get it cheaper? Or something that includes game time?

You can buy the standard bundle (ARR+HW) for $30.

My suggestion: Farm Palace of the Dead (PotD) floors 51-100 like a dozen times. Focus on getting Tomestones of Lore, which will help you upgrade all your gear to i230 and Tomestones of Scripture, which gives you i260 gear (all available from 1 of the girls in Idyllshire).

So why PotD? Playing PotD at level 60 gives you the ability to earn Lores and Scripts (and Poetics) and also gives you the opportunity to get an i255 weapon. For instance, running floors 51-100 of PotD 5 times means 1700 Lore and 850 Scripts/Poetics. That's 2 accessories at i260 and several other pieces of gear you can upgrade to i230. As you do this, you'll be powering up your PotD armor/arm every time you open a silver chest. Get both arm/armor to +90 to get your i255. Or just get both to +30 to get an i235 weapon if you want to start on real dungeons to break up the PotD grind (5 runs is a minimum of 10 hours).

After you start upgrading your gear, then start tackling the lvl 60 dungeons. You probably have access to ARF which gives 150 Lore per run. The reason I start out suggesting PotD is because you want decent gear to run through these dungeons a little better. And PotD doesn't care about your gear since it only cares about your PotD specific arm/armor rating. So farming PotD initially to upgrade a few pieces of gear is a decent idea, especially if you don't know where to start and if you're self-conscious about doing lvl 60 dungeons while under-leveled compared to everyone else.

Ah thanks! I'll definitely do this. The new bard relic weapon looks amazing and I just got BRD to level 60 last night. So I think that will be my secondary goal.

Squishy3

It'll assuredly go on sale again, but alternatively you can just wait and buy Stormblood when it comes out and that comes with Heavensward, and you only need to be level 50 and have finished the last story dungeon of A Realm Reborn (The Praetorium) to try Samurai and Red Mage out.

Heavensward really wouldn't offer much of anything to someone who isn't level 50, and there's a bunch of story they added in patches after the base game came out before you can even progress into Heavensward. So if you don't think you'll be level 50 before Stormblood comes out, just wait until Stormblood comes out. You'll save $10-$20. (10 is the sale price of HW.) The benefit to having it as soon as you hit level 50 is you can do the daily leveling roulette while progressing through the patch quests and get a headstart on 50-60.

iammeiam

I was still hoping for an automatic targeting of an enemy after you kill one, because those 3-5 seconds of your character standing around with an unsheathed weapon while you choose your next foe is pretty annoying. It's baffling why FFXI had this feature and FFXIV doesn't.

If you have a button mapped to target nearest, you should be able to hit that and immediately target something. If you're a caster job and trying to cancel mid-cast it's kind of awkward, but you can always deselect, then mash target next. You can also set it to auto-target whatever's hitting you if you have no target selected. Grabbing just any target to keep attacks up is pretty quick, it's mostly the precision selecting a specific mob out of the group can get annoying.

There are a few situations where auto-targeting can be detrimental due to how auto-attacks work (especially now that you can be turned away from a mob and still auto-attack it.) Most of the best examples I can think of offhand are a little dated at this point, but the general mechanic concept is still sound. There were mobs in T6 you emphatically did not ever want to hit, and there was a combination of mechanics that meant a mob would attack you during a time where you had to stop all actions or get one-shot. We've also seen stuff like mobs spawning that will tether forever to the first thing that damages them, and you don't want to accidentally pick up a thing you're not supposed to pick up.

But to change gears, what's the current best way to make money? Seems Materia has plummeted in market value, so I need another way to make a steady income.

Check the prices of some of the FCoB glamour gear and various orchestrion scrolls on your server MB. Since the Dreadwyrm glamour gear never made it into PotD it's held value, and if you can buddy up and farm FCoB floors unsynched you can make decent profit off the glamour market still. Monk chests were still going for 1m and selling multiples per week, last time I checked for whatever reason, and the pant aetherstones were also $$. And for whatever reason, T12 Orchestrion rolls always hover in the 500k-1m price range on my server. Most of the market for actual useful stuff has collapsed, but the glamour/housing market has been pretty resilient overall. Aquapolis can be good too; free up a bunch of inv space, grab as few friends as possible that you can comfortably clear with, and collect a mess of crafting staples that aren't high ticket items each but will add up. And if you get some of the glamour mats, even better. Late floor PotD also has some decent glamour drops, and the mount, but getting back there is a time and effort thing.

If people start doing dedicated crafter gearing to prep for expansion (it seems late to do this, but people are weird) there may be a run on Fieldcraft IIIs again; anything over 40k means you can easily turn a decent profit by desynthing shoes from the vendor in Ul'dah. And occasionally the undyed wool cloth market loses its goddamned mind and suddenly it rains money for a week until everyone wises up.

If you have ARR already and don't plan to try to rush to cap before the expansion launches, you can always wait. The new expansion will include HW in it for free; no sub time, but it does mean you can just buy that. You won't be able to access HW until SB launches if you go that route, but you've got a decent amount of game to get through in the meantime and no pressing reason to grab HW before you need it.

The only way to get more game time is to buy ARR on a new platform, but since the expansions are also platform-specific that's not going to save you money.

Squishy3

So about that "unable to download patch files" on PC...

Any idea how to fix this?
from the title post:

Hey, just to let you know that it would probably help some other poor souls if you added to the OP the solution to the patch download error on PS4. I had to switch my DNS server to one from Japan; specifically, this address: 221.186.113.106.

I was able to replicate its success a second time after I tried Google's DNS to speed up the download (which kept giving me failures still), so it should be reliable.

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I live in Canada.

cheers

So I'm picking up the collection pack when it comes out in June. I used to play on Leviathan back in the day, and was wondering what did I miss and how changing worlds works for existing characters?

dramatis

I read online that there's no real difference or benefit to choosing a GC other than lore and what color you like, so I decided to pay attention to each speech and make my own conclusions.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Maelstrom, but what do you guys think?
You don't quite have to take things so seriously. Otherwise later on in story you might blow a gasket.

What you should understand is that the GC HQ may become a place you visit frequently, so technical performance might be a drag. Within the game itself, if you are poor and teleport fees might be a problem, you might also have to consider whether you should pick someplace that you can teleport to with less expenditure.

Sylas

Hoping they give a discount when the new expansion comes out or something. Everyone's on Ultros right?

They aren't going to be giving a discount for server transfers--I wouldn't hold off. The likely reality is that they're going to have to re-implement the auto-kick tool to keep the queue times for servers down/prevent area crashes. Expansion launches are when the populations boom to ridiculous numbers.

They aren't going to be giving a discount for server transfers--I wouldn't hold off. The likely reality is that they're going to have to re-implement the auto-kick tool to keep the queue times for servers down/prevent area crashes. Expansion launches are when the populations boom to ridiculous numbers.

Good point, will have to move over before the expansion hits to stay ahead of the crowd.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So about that "unable to download patch files" on PC...

Any idea how to fix this?
If the method posted above does not work, you can also try using a vpn to get around it.

Also a head up if you're in NA, they're relocating the NA servers to a different datacenter in about an hour from now so the NA servers will be down till Wednesday morning.
So, I bought XIV last week, and I got ARR+HW with Stormblood preordered. Took me three days to get it installed via Steam (note to self: buy a powerline adapter). Anyways, I created a Hyur pugilist, and I'm currently sitting at Lv. 23. I ended up on an EU server called Chaos (because the NA servers are apparently impossible to get into during peak hours, which are apparently right when I get off from work in the evening). I just got invited to join a Grand Company.

I read online that there's no real difference or benefit to choosing a GC other than lore and what color you like, so I decided to pay attention to each speech and make my own conclusions.
I love that you're putting that much thought into it. I went the pick a color route, chose IF, and stuck with them once I realized my choice was also the convenient choice cause their HQ is right next to the city teleport. Your lore reasons sound valid though so if you can put up with the choppy frame rate you should go Maelstrom, worst case scenario you can always switch GC later on. Also be aware you interact and help all 3 GCs and your personal GC just serves as a place where you can dump old gear you don't need anymore and buy cool GC themed outfits from.

dabig2

So for the anima weapon crystal sands/umbrite stage, do you really get 2 crystal sands for each set of items you turn in? I'll officially begin that quest after I do the upcoming weekly CT quest for my last aether oil. So in the last few weeks, I've been farming the hell out of umbrites and crystal sand materials in preparation. Currently I have 70 umbrites and I've already moved on to buying singing clusters with my leftover lore for the next next step.

But anyways, let's say I have 24 vilekins. Does that mean I get 48 crystal sands from that? I also have 65 each of those inks/mists you can buy with poetics. So that's 65/5 = 13 * 2 = 26 crystal sands from that too?

Cause if so, damn. I've been so worried about crystal sands, but apparently I can right now trade for over 100 sands, since I also have a bunch of elemental IV materia (thank you, PotD accursed hoard) and beastmen tribe tokens in addition to the aforementioned vilekins and poetics materials.

Foxxsoxx

The level 52 an 54 bard abilities made playing this class infinitely more enjoyable although there is a strange lag now when I cast it takes like half a second for the second cast ability bar to progress which feels pretty wonky.

Shame I won't be able to play tomorrow, it's my day off.

Anyway I made it to the moggles at the sea of clouds and stopped right after getting there. Good day!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It's mostly everyone's​ day off if you play on the Aether / Primal / Elemental / Gaia / Mana / Chaos Data Center Worlds thanks to the server moving so no FFXIV for us until the servers go back up on Wednesday assuming nothing goes wrong.

Squishy3

The level 52 an 54 bard abilities made playing this class infinitely more enjoyable although there is a strange lag now when I cast it takes like half a second for the second cast ability bar to progress which feels pretty wonky.

Anyway I made it to the moggles at the sea of clouds and stopped right after getting there. Good day!
It's to allow for slide casting, it's built more as a latency buffer but you can use it to activate GCDs early and slidecast.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Almost forgot the servers go down tonight for the move. Had to hustle through that last dungeon. =S

Any word on whether the Alex gear will get some craftable replicas in the future? I quite like a couple of the tank chest pieces, but would like them more if they were dye-able.

Squishy3

Almost forgot the servers go down tonight for the move. Had to hustle through that last dungeon. =S

Any word on whether the Alex gear will get some craftable replicas in the future? I quite like a couple of the tank chest pieces, but would like them more if they were dye-able.
No, because they're already dyeable by clearing Alexander Savage.

Ken

They patched the Savage versions to be dyeable I think and also I'm sure we'll see crafted versions of them in SB.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
clearing Alexander Savage.

laugh.gif

Squishy3

They patched the Savage versions to be dyeable I think and also I'm sure we'll see crafted versions of them in SB.
I think it'd be pretty dumb to do it again when we've already got the dyeable versions. There'd be no reason for them to exist since running Savage for the gear unsynced will already be an incentive to do it come Stormblood launch.

Our group made it to floor 170 last night in Palace of the Dead but wiped on the snake boss, feels bad but it was a lot of fun. The later areas look amazing and I really like the open concept it feels better than corridors
Honestly I think part of the problem is that when you die you go all the way back to 50.most people I know who attempted it gave up because of that simply because those floors are a hassle. They really need to add a checkpoint at 100. Our group is gonna attempt it again but if we wipe we will probably just move on ot at least I will seeing as we ran for two days just to get there.

Late response but yeah the 170 boss is all on the tank. If he screws up and lets the snake in the water it's more than likely a wipe. I remember wiping there in my first group full of randoms and I lost my soul when I saw the WAR leaving it in the water. I agree with you though! We certainly do need a checkpoint at least at 100 because running the lower floors mindlessly at 99 aether is boring even if we are speed running. It takes a lot longer than you'd hope and that's the main problem... dont even't get me started on people playing deep dungeon to level. IMO, we should all be on our best class in deep dungeon because low dps can sometimes be a huge problem especially on much later floors. The gorillas, sand worms, and chimeras are the more lethal targets but others still hit really hard. During my groups... people used rage whenever they felt most in danger and well we ran out of rage on later floors so it was nearly hopeless. POTD is brilliant when it comes to strategizing but you need a really good group.

As a UK player on a US data centre, I'm suuuuuper curious about how brutal the ping increase is going to be. Anyone else in the same position? I'm in a good FC but it'd be nice to go to a server where the peak times will be in the evening rather than 2am or whatever so I'm strongly considering moving and getting a shiny new FC going for the other EU players in our community, since there are quite a few.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
If the method posted above does not work, you can also try using a vpn to get around it.

Also a head up if you're in NA, they're relocating the NA servers to a different datacenter in about an hour from now so the NA servers will be down till Wednesday morning.

I'm actually not sure how to change my DNS. I've tried to look it up, but it isn't super helpful.

Also, how do I use a VPN to download and patch?

One other thing I've read to do is download the demo from Steam and use that? I tried that last night, but I don't know what files to move around.

febLey

Do you guys think it's possible to complete the main story from 2.1 - 3.5 until the release of Stormblood?

My girlfriend and I we have just completed the main story from ARR and a few missions further and I'd like to participate at the launch of Stormblood.
Small Update, we started on friday in the middle of 2.2 and only played the main quest.
We're now at the beginning of 2.55. I think we can do it.

dramatis

Small Update, we started on friday in the middle of 2.2 and only played the main quest.
We're now at the beginning of 2.55. I think we can do it.
You'll be fine. There's a chunk of HW that is kind of bloaty, but the rest of it is relatively bloat-free. The HW patches are quite short and direct, so there won't be problems with main story there.

Killthee

I'm actually not sure how to change my DNS. I've tried to look it up, but it isn't super helpful.

Also, how do I use a VPN to download and patch?

One other thing I've read to do is download the demo from Steam and use that? I tried that last night, but I don't know what files to move around.
W7 DNS instructions: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using#change_your_dns_servers_settings

W8 and 10: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-in-windows-2626242

You'll need to download software to use a vpn if you're not using the latest version of windows 10 and will need to look around for a free server or pay a few bucks for one (such as this one) so try changing your dns first.

I assume you probably download the whole thing from Steam then move the whole folder over. The files on Steams servers haven't been updated since launch though, so you'll still need to deal with the game launcher and SEs servers if you download the game this way.

Vestal

So I haven't played FFXIV since 3.2.. Is it worth jumping in now in lieu of Stormblood or should I wait till a few weeks before it and complete out the story quests leading up to StormBlood?

What I mean is, from a gearing perspective is it worth the time investment now leading up to the Xpac as opposed to starting up in early June.

Thanks

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
W7 DNS instructions: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using#change_your_dns_servers_settings

W8 and 10: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-in-windows-2626242

You'll need to download software to use a vpn if you're not using the latest version of windows 10 and will need to look around for a free server or pay a few bucks for one (such as this one) so try changing your dns first.

I assume you probably download the whole thing from Steam then move the whole folder over. The files on Steams servers haven't been updated since launch though, so you'll still need to deal with the game launcher and SEs servers if you download the game this way.

Thanks. A few quick questions...

1) It appears as though my network drivers use IPv4 and v6. Do I need to turn off v6 for this to work?

2) I have a browser with built in VPN. Is that different than a service?

3) For the Steam stuff, do I just plop the contents into the game folder and let it find what I need/don't need?

Squishy3

So I haven't played FFXIV since 3.2.. Is it worth jumping in now in lieu of Stormblood or should I wait till a few weeks before it and complete out the story quests leading up to StormBlood?

What I mean is, from a gearing perspective is it worth the time investment now leading up to the Xpac as opposed to starting up in early June.

Thanks
Did you get a set of Lore gear when playing during 3.2? If so, then you've got very little gearing up to do any of the content they added. 230 is all that's required for the final dungeon, and 235 for the final 24 man raid and trial.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
oHrz06B_d.jpg

Two whole days without FFXIV huh? That's cool this gives me plenty of time to play some other game from my backlog...

7SP6os9_d.jpg

NOPE can't do it! I need to be in the mood to play other games and right now I'm in the mood to play FFXIV.

Killthee

Thanks. A few quick questions...

1) It appears as though my network drivers use IPv4 and v6. Do I need to turn off v6 for this to work?

2) I have a browser with built in VPN. Is that different than a service?

3) For the Steam stuff, do I just plop the contents into the game folder and let it find what I need/don't need?
1) edit the IPv4 dns address. Shouldn't need to touch IPv6 options.

2) I think if your browser has a built in vpn it only applies to stuff you view inside your browser so it won't help with a download handled outside the browser. Here's a free one though that I've seen pop up on ffxiv patch error Reddit threads: http://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_us
You download it, click the blue "Protect Network" button, wait for it to connect, then launch the ffxiv launcher and download the file giving you issues. You can disconnect after the file has downloaded and reconnect if another file gives you issues. Free option auto picks the closest server to you and doesn't let you select any other so this might not work if the SE server also has a busted connection to their free server.

3) that's what I would try, but like I said the steam version is really outdated so you'll still need to download more files when you launch the game and willl likely still get the update error. Best bet is to change your dns server or try vpn.

Stuart444

As a UK player on a US data centre, I'm suuuuuper curious about how brutal the ping increase is going to be. Anyone else in the same position? I'm in a good FC but it'd be nice to go to a server where the peak times will be in the evening rather than 2am or whatever so I'm strongly considering moving and getting a shiny new FC going for the other EU players in our community, since there are quite a few.

Worried about it as well since I like being in the GAF FC plus I have friends from another FC on the same Data Center,

Got a note of the current ping and will compare it to the new location when it's up and we know what the ip address is. If the ping gets too bad then :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
1) edit the IPv4 dns address. Shouldn't need to touch IPv6 options.

2) I think if your browser has a built in vpn it only applies to stuff you view inside your browser so it won't help with a download handled outside the browser. Here's a free one though that I've seen pop up on ffxiv patch error Reddit threads: http://www.cyberghostvpn.com/en_us
You download it, click the blue "Protect Network" button, wait for it to connect, then launch the ffxiv launcher and download the file giving you issues. You can disconnect after the file has downloaded and reconnect if another file gives you issues. Free option auto picks the closest server to you and doesn't let you select any other so this might not work if the SE server also has a busted connection to their free server.

3) that's what I would try, but like I said the steam version is really outdated so you'll still need to download more files when you launch the game and willl likely still get the update error. Best bet is to change your dns server or try vpn.

You're awesome - thanks!

iammeiam

I'm going to be pretty bummed if the servers don't move any more westward at all; I don't need west coast, just not the flipping opposite side of the country would be good for me.

I am enjoying watching East Coast people freak out at "MY PING MIGHT GO OVER 100 OH GOD MY PARSES"

NOPE can't do it! I need to be in the mood to play other games and right now I'm in the mood to play FFXIV.

Everyone who likes story-driven games with a good soundtrack should go play Rakuen. It's short, you can finish before main is over, and then spend the rest of the time an emotional mess.

I'm going to be pretty bummed if the servers don't move any more westward at all; I don't need west coast, just not the flipping opposite side of the country would be good for me.

I am enjoying watching East Coast people freak out at "MY PING MIGHT GO OVER 100 OH GOD MY PARSES"
Well with people in reddit somehow believing new servers are in Sacramento, fan you blame them?

I was freaking out a bit but then I realized that Level 3 was such a disease that it's quite likely I'll have better routing in fucking Sacramento.

iammeiam

Well with people in reddit somehow believing new servers are in Sacramento, fan you blame them?

I was freaking out a bit but then I realized that Level 3 was such a disease that it's quite likely I'll have better routing in fucking Sacramento.

I can; I'm not going to deny that ping has an impact, but watching somebody literally freak out that an over-100ms ping might render them unable to raid is hilarious because that is not how this game works.

Like, yes it sucks that ping is getting worse for some people. Somewhere in the midwest would probably be the 'fairest' to everyone involved, but watching people lose their shit over ping times I've been lucky to get ( and will still continue to not see if the servers stay on the east coast) on a good day won't stop being funny any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom