• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

Damn, after having done a lot of miscellaneous Alexander Savage, I've found Zurvan to be quite a bit easier than some of the encounters there, needless to say I'd be willing to help out if you're on Primal and wouldn't mind taking someone from Leviathan. :p

Hey, yeah we're on Primal (We are a team of two that always does things like this together), Jade Arcana if you've ever seen me about on DF or PF lol.

We've spent quite a bit of time on this particularly due to some of our own issues like having trouble knowing where to stand (when I was doing it as DPS and my partner was doing it as DPS, we had to choose a healer to stand with since the healers knew where to go).

Since switching to Healer (her) and Tank (me), it's a lot easier since the healer can stand with anyone and the tank just goes up north lol. Also spent quite a bit of time dealing with tethers because it's hard to see who you are tethered with when everyone is bunched up but we have since figured out how to deal with that mostly (like as tank, someone will go to one of the markers around Zurvan so I don't even need to look lol).

Anyway, thanks for the offer but even if we did it with you, we'd still be working at it with our other friends until they clear at least. Still, ty for offering <3.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
random question - i have the digital download version of xiv on ps4 and i am looking to get the disc of heavensward, can someone explain to me how that will work? will i need to use the disk each time? will i have two games installed on my playstation?
AFAIK, you just have to register the code that comes with the disc and launch the base game to upgrade it to HW. Don't bother using the actual disc, you don't need it.

Foxxsoxx

I really hope they don't mess up the launch of Stormblood and make it super restrictive to get into.

I am really liking this game but it really shows how little this game gets covered because if the huge barriers of entry.

I was trying to find reviews for Heavensward on Youtube and there were like 3 or 4 actual reviews. There are more but they're awful low quality player reviews. It just blows my mind because the game is good but gets hardly any exposure outside of forums.

Nakazato

Dose anyone have a Crossbar for MNK looking for Suggestions. Going to be leveling that *cough getting sam gear as fast as possible cough*

its lvl 50 right now so any suggestions would be appreciated

Thorgal

Dose anyone have a Crossbar for MNK looking for Suggestions. Going to be leveling that *cough getting sam gear as fast as possible cough*

its lvl 50 right now so any suggestions would be appreciated

Heres mine :

hotbar 1

ffxiv_14052017_002134eykp4.jpg

hotbar 2

only thing missing in this pic is B4B which i put underneath form shift usually .

Probably a dumb question.

I have a new keyboard that can save hardware macros with exact delays. (.5 sec etc..)

Is it a violation of the TOS for me to use those while playing?

Note: they will not be used while afk, only while playing.

I'm thinking for Mudras.

I know macros for NIN are a DPS drop, that is not my concern, I just want to know if I'll get banned for using it.

I really hope they don't mess up the launch of Stormblood and make it super restrictive to get into.

I am really liking this game but it really shows how little this game gets covered because if the huge barriers of entry.

I was trying to find reviews for Heavensward on Youtube and there were like 3 or 4 actual reviews. There are more but they're awful low quality player reviews. It just blows my mind because the game is good but gets hardly any exposure outside of forums.

FFXIV could definitely use some more content creators.

Squishy3

FFXIV could definitely use some more content creators.
It looks like they're going on another Youtube sponsoring spree for Stormblood, so that should at least get some more people checking it out.

I also wonder if them inviting people like MrHappy to try Stormblood will just be dropping people into a map with FATEs enabled and getting to try out the new job skills or Samurai and Red Mage. I'd find it hard to believe they'd show off any new dungeons or anything.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just tried Diadem.

Been looking at normal timers like a chump for weeks...

It looks like they're going on another Youtube sponsoring spree for Stormblood, so that should at least get some more people checking it out.

I also wonder if them inviting people like MrHappy to try Stormblood will just be dropping people into a map with FATEs enabled and getting to try out the new job skills or Samurai and Red Mage. I'd find it hard to believe they'd show off any new dungeons or anything.

Yeah I saw he mentioend that on one of his latest videos.

I think some people got a closer look at Heavensward some weeks before launch and I think they just ran around the Sea of Clouds or something IIRC. I remember seeing some stuff on the Sea of Clouds when new info came out so I could be conflating two different things though.

iammeiam

Yeah I saw he mentioend that on one of his latest videos.

I think some people got a closer look at Heavensward some weeks before launch and I think they just ran around the Sea of Clouds or something IIRC. I remember seeing some stuff on the Sea of Clouds when new info came out so I could be conflating two different things though.

They did a livestream of a couple of dev people running around Sea of Clouds on DRK and AST and, IIRC, that was the same one that had Yoshida running around Foundation and making a big deal out of camera angles to avoid omgspoilers and introduced us all to flying fat Chocobo. I think that was the same stream that did the video of job action animations, so I'm hoping that thing is the next LL.

There was also a press preview at a French chateau where some of the press got hands-on time with the new jobs, too, but the new jobs weren't anywhere near finished at the time. IIRC ammunition for MCH didn't even function during the preview. I don't think we got hands-on reports of the combat changes for the old jobs before E3 and the people taking stealth pictures of the flare/holy nerf tooltips

So if they rehash the expac launch press cycle we should get one big stream for us, one press preview that will reveal some things and mislead us about others, and then furious weeks of speculation before the start of early access.

They did a livestream of a couple of dev people running around Sea of Clouds on DRK and AST and, IIRC, that was the same one that had Yoshida running around Foundation and making a big deal out of camera angles to avoid omgspoilers and introduced us all to flying fat Chocobo. I think that was the same stream that did the video of job action animations, so I'm hoping that thing is the next LL.

There was also a press preview at a French chateau where some of the press got hands-on time with the new jobs, too, but the new jobs weren't anywhere near finished at the time. IIRC ammunition for MCH didn't even function during the preview. I don't think we got hands-on reports of the combat changes for the old jobs before E3 and the people taking stealth pictures of the flare/holy nerf tooltips

So if they rehash the expac launch press cycle we should get one big stream for us, one press preview that will reveal some things and mislead us about others, and then furious weeks of speculation before the start of early access.

Yeah the flare/holy thing was what I was thinking of.

I get the impression that they are in a better position this time in terms of how finished things are so hopefully the upcoming info is more substantial than what we got leading up to Heavensward.

Squishy3

They did a livestream of a couple of dev people running around Sea of Clouds on DRK and AST and, IIRC, that was the same one that had Yoshida running around Foundation and making a big deal out of camera angles to avoid omgspoilers and introduced us all to flying fat Chocobo.
I'm pretty sure when they actually showed off the flying fat chocobo on a stream YoshiP was in Azys Lla, lol.

There's actually some sort of Stormblood battle track in the last live letter when they give YoshiP the cake. https://youtu.be/7xwlrCNtC9E?t=9086

I guess don't click if you don't want muzak spoilers.

I'm pretty sure when they actually showed off the flying fat chocobo on a stream YoshiP was in Azys Lla, lol.

There's actually some sort of Stormblood battle track in the last live letter when they give YoshiP the cake. https://youtu.be/7xwlrCNtC9E?t=9086

I guess don't click if you don't want muzak spoilers.

Yeah I caught that before. I assume it's going to be the end of dungeon SB boss theme. I was referring more to the normal battle theme that plays on the field. FFXIV has a wide variety in its music so I think something like this should be possible.

You can also hear what I assume is the leitmotif for Stormblood in there too, same one that's in the trailer (when Samurailander looks up towards the sky after one shotting the Garleans).

Just resubbed. My item level when I stopped playing was around 200. Now I'm seeing 270+ items and I'm overwhelmed already. Idyllshire looks so different. And I'm seeing people with some really cool shiny new weapons that I can only assume are whatever stage of relic weapon that are a pain in the ass to grind.

Redx508

Gala

I hope it's not a stupid question, but I'm hitting level 50 with my Warrior today and I will unlock Frontline then. Can I grind the marks for the Garo event in level 50 frontline or are they only available in level 60 frontline?
I have never done PvP in FFXIV before, but I reallly want the set

dramatis

I hope it's not a stupid question, but I'm hitting level 50 with my Warrior today and I will unlock Frontline then. Can I grind the marks for the Garo event in level 50 frontline or are they only available in level 60 frontline?
I have never done PvP in FFXIV before, but I reallly want the set
All pvp activities reward the same kind of currency, so yes you can buy them, but you won't be able to equip them until you reach level 60.

Gala

All pvp activities reward the same kind of currency, so yes you can buy them, but you won't be able to equip them until you reach level 60.

Thanks for the quick answer. Gonna grind them for the glamour only. Making my ferocious little rodent even more vicious.

dabig2

Just resubbed. My item level when I stopped playing was around 200. Now I'm seeing 270+ items and I'm overwhelmed already. Idyllshire looks so different. And I'm seeing people with some really cool shiny new weapons that I can only assume are whatever stage of relic weapon that are a pain in the ass to grind.

My suggestion: Farm Palace of the Dead (PotD) floors 51-100 like a dozen times. Focus on getting Tomestones of Lore, which will help you upgrade all your gear to i230 and Tomestones of Scripture, which gives you i260 gear (all available from 1 of the girls in Idyllshire).

So why PotD? Playing PotD at level 60 gives you the ability to earn Lores and Scripts (and Poetics) and also gives you the opportunity to get an i255 weapon. For instance, running floors 51-100 of PotD 5 times means 1700 Lore and 850 Scripts/Poetics. That's 2 accessories at i260 and several other pieces of gear you can upgrade to i230. As you do this, you'll be powering up your PotD armor/arm every time you open a silver chest. Get both arm/armor to +90 to get your i255. Or just get both to +30 to get an i235 weapon if you want to start on real dungeons to break up the PotD grind (5 runs is a minimum of 10 hours).

After you start upgrading your gear, then start tackling the lvl 60 dungeons. You probably have access to ARF which gives 150 Lore per run. The reason I start out suggesting PotD is because you want decent gear to run through these dungeons a little better. And PotD doesn't care about your gear since it only cares about your PotD specific arm/armor rating. So farming PotD initially to upgrade a few pieces of gear is a decent idea, especially if you don't know where to start and if you're self-conscious about doing lvl 60 dungeons while under-leveled compared to everyone else.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Thanks for the quick answer. Gonna grind them for the glamour only. Making my ferocious little rodent even more vicious.
Wouldnt be surprised if queue times are shit for lv 50 Frontlines. I'd grind to 60 for 8v8 Feast.

Eolz

Hey!
I have Heavensward on both and PS4, didn't play that much (time issues, both work and other games), but really liked the game when I did. I mostly just play story/quests/random instances, not big guild quests/dungeons.

Is it worth preordering Stormblood? The benchmark did well on my laptop, and I got a good deal on GMG.
And where can I find the cheapest or best (60 days is fine for example) deal for subscriptions? I have an EU account.

SOLDIER

So I've been wondering about this since day one of this game's launch, but every time I've asked someone in my FC they say it can't be done.

Is there a way to configure it so that when I kill a targeted enemy, I automatically target the nearest aggroed enemy (either when I'm fighting solo or in a party)? It's always been a pain to have to manually target the next mob in a sea of enemies during dungeons: having my character automatically target each enemy until they're all dead wold save me a ton of hassle.

I really can't believe it's not an option in this game, because FFXI did this by default. Can it be done?

dramatis

So I've been wondering about this since day one of this game's launch, but every time I've asked someone in my FC they say it can't be done.

Is there a way to configure it so that when I kill a targeted enemy, I automatically target the nearest aggroed enemy (either when I'm fighting solo or in a party)? It's always been a pain to have to manually target the next mob in a sea of enemies during dungeons: having my character automatically target each enemy until they're all dead wold save me a ton of hassle.

I really can't believe it's not an option in this game, because FFXI did this by default. Can it be done?
If you're willing to macro every single attack ability you have, sure. Probably won't work with auto-attack however.

/battletarget (or /bt)
/autolock

etc.

You'll have to look up macros and experiment to see what you actually want to do.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You don't want to macro all of your abilities by the way. You lose the ability to queue actions when you macro skills/spells. Meaning you can't press a macro near the end of a global cooldown and have it automatically start casting that once the global cooldown is up.

SOLDIER

Doesn't just pressing left or right on the dpad get you the next closest enemy?

Yes, but I primarily play on PC.

Can't believe that isn't an option, in addition to letting you put custom markers on the mini-map. There's more than a few unlisted locations I wish I could add my own notes to (like fishing spots, Beastmen quest NPCs, etc).

aceface

Yes, but I primarily play on PC.

Can't believe that isn't an option, in addition to letting you put custom markers on the mini-map. There's more than a few unlisted locations I wish I could add my own notes to (like fishing spots, Beastmen quest NPCs, etc).

Hm. I don't use keyboard, but "next target" or whatever is a command in main commands. The icon is a left or right arrow. Maybe put that on a key and give it a try.

Edit: or try some of these text commands?
/targetenemy Target
/battletarget Target
/assist Target
/facetarget Target
/nexttarget Target
/previoustarget Target
/targetlasttarget Target
/targetlastenemy

iammeiam

Go into key binds and make one 'target nearest'; that will help the immediate issue.

Tab target cycling in this game is wacky and not great, but usable once you adjust to it. Tab will cycle through the screen starting from your target, going to the right. So if you have two guys in front of you, and then an unaggro'd pack visible in the upper right corner, and you're hitting the right-most close dude, tab targeting will cycle through the entire far away pack before it goes to the left side. Like this shamelessly stolen reddit pic:

It's dumb but you get used to adjusting the camera to account for it; you can also cancel your current target and then hit 'target nearest' to cycle if the thing you're attacking is going to die in the next second or two. I think remapping tab to target nearest and then making shift+tab the cycling option is semi-common, but I'm a controller scrub by choice.

The omst trouble I've ever had with targeting in this game is trying to snap to that damned armored pauldron in a11s. Even by putting myself in between CC and EDD I would still somehow always snap to the boss before it would let me cycle to the pauldron.

jWILL253

Banned
So, I bought XIV last week, and I got ARR+HW with Stormblood preordered. Took me three days to get it installed via Steam (note to self: buy a powerline adapter). Anyways, I created a Hyur pugilist, and I'm currently sitting at Lv. 23. I ended up on an EU server called Chaos (because the NA servers are apparently impossible to get into during peak hours, which are apparently right when I get off from work in the evening). I just got invited to join a Grand Company.

I read online that there's no real difference or benefit to choosing a GC other than lore and what color you like, so I decided to pay attention to each speech and make my own conclusions.

Grandia - Twin Adder: This is basically a conclave of hippies, who don't want to engage in any kind of conflict unless they have to. Problem is, they got two beast clans to deal with along with the larger Garlean threat. Idk if I want to fight for a GC that is reluctant to defend itself. I like the design of the area, tho.

Ul'dah - Immortal Flames: Simply put: America. All about money & power

Due to my race and starting class, this is the city I started in, and am the most familiar with. I know all the areas, I have attuned every single aetheryte in the Thanalan region & the city proper, and I've already dealt with Ifrit. But I can't stand traveling through the city, and I cannot stand all the racism. Almost every mission of relative import mentioned the ongoing immigration problem the region has, and as a minority who lives in America, I don't care for the tone in which some NPC's speak of foreigners. There was one mainline mission in particular, where I had to dress like an immigrant and pretend to be seeking employ. And every NPC dogged me.

Raubahn is a badass speaker & leader, though, and the IF headquarters is apparently right next Ul'dah's aetheryte plaza. I'd have an easier time with IF than I would with the others due to my familiarity of the land, but that racism don't fly with me. I also don't want to be defending NPC's that are always looking for backdoor ways to line their pockets. And that might be the case for all the regions, but Ul'dah is the only city that embraces that as a way of life in the region.

Limsa Lominsa - Maelstrom: My favorite of the bunch. Unique location, the leader isn't half bad, and the idea of protecting the unbridled freedom & reckless nature of a city of pirates speaks to my inner edgelord, lol. And their color scheme is badass.

I only have one problem with them, but it's a major one: the shitty water effects cut my framerate in half whenever I'm in the city. Which is crazy, because GTAV has much better water effects, and I can maintain a stable framerate on my PC.

I'm definitely leaning towards the Maelstrom, but what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom