• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

I'm just worried about it going over 200ms. Or over 215ms (the max they say the game is designed to work on though I doubt they test it that high considering your many things I doubt you can dodge at that ping unless you have perfect reactions)

But we'll see what happens soon enough

iammeiam

The concerns for Euro players I totally get and am 100% on-board with, FWIW.I'm not sure there's a good solve there, as people playing from the Pacific Ocean side currently have that problem.

Like I said, I'd be totally fine with them dropping the servers dead center; it's more the level of panic I'm seeing from a few people I know on the east coast is wildly disproportionate with what an over-100 ping will actually do.

Stuart444

The concerns for Euro players I totally get and am 100% on-board with, FWIW.I'm not sure there's a good solve there, as people playing from the Pacific Ocean side currently have that problem.

Like I said, I'd be totally fine with them dropping the servers dead center; it's more the level of panic I'm seeing from a few people I know on the east coast is wildly disproportionate with what an over-100 ping will actually do.

Yeah, over 100 isn't a big deal honestly. My ping is between 100 and 112 when I tested it before the server's went offline.

Omni

I'm playing from Australia and was dealing with 250+ ping before.

Really concerned about this data-centre move. I don't exactly have much room for my ping to get worse without it really screwing me over

Being forced to transfer data-centres would really suck. No only leaving my friends and stuff, but also giving up my house and ~65 million gil.

Vestal

Did you get a set of Lore gear when playing during 3.2? If so, then you've got very little gearing up to do any of the content they added. 230 is all that's required for the final dungeon, and 235 for the final 24 man raid and trial.

Looks like the last gear I got is 200 and 210... How much time should I set aside to get up to 235?

Thanks

I'm on the same boat as EU players. My ping was already kinda high - 160ish - which made playing stuff like NIN pretty much impossible before the last set of mudra changes and anything with double weaves was really annoying, I'm worried my ping might go upwards to the point I can't really play busier jobs without clipping everything anymore - which won't really be a problem since I'm planning to heal this time around but still.

iammeiam

I've been running WTFast for a while, and usually sit around 115. Once it hits 130-140 my double weaves go wonky and my opener goes to hell, so I totally get the risk, but the freaking about 100 is shrug. The thing I think to keep in mind is that if this is a seismic change in ping times, the ripple effect will be pretty huge.

I'm playing from Australia and was dealing with 250+ ping before.

Really concerned about this data-centre move. I don't exactly have much room for my ping to get worse without it really screwing me over

Being forced to transfer data-centres would really suck. No only leaving my friends and stuff, but also giving up my house and ~65 million gil.

See, if the servers move West Coast, you're in the group that benefits. Montreal is basically twice as far from Australia as California, I think. There's advantage in having a server location that's primarily English-speaking closer, I think, since a lot of AU players land on JP servers I think.

Stuart444

I can't really play busier jobs without clipping everything anymore - which won't really be a problem since I'm planning to heal this time around but still.

I have a CNJ that I've started but not played much on the Japanese servers which is like 260ms at the minimum and there is a noticable delay when using cure.

I'm not saying the ping will get that high but healing with a high ping I can only imagine would get people killed.

I have a CNJ that I've started but not played much on the Japanese servers which is like 260ms at the minimum and there is a noticable delay when using cure.

I'm not saying the ping will get that high but healing with a high ping I can only imagine would get people killed.
Well 260ms is closer to unplayable lol

Going by my Sacramento tests I'd expect my ping to go torwards 190ish, which is basically what I used to play in back in ARR when I played as a SCH so it won't be too bad.

Stuart444

Well 260ms is closer to unplayable lol

Going by my Sacramento tests I'd expect my ping to go torwards 190ish, which is basically what I used to play in back in ARR when I raided as a healer so it won't be too bad.

Heh. Fair enough. I'm just worried as well about people like me who have poor reactions as well. I work hard to overcome that so having a higher ping fuck me over would be annoying.

But I hope I'm worrying over nothing

Squishy3

Looks like the last gear I got is 200 and 210... How much time should I set aside to get up to 235?

Thanks
Not too long, there are a couple of options available to you:

You can queue up for the PVP Frontlines roulette, this will earn you Lore and Scripture (230 and 260 respectively), as well as provide wolf marks which you can use to buy item level 235 Garo crossover gear from the Disreuptable Priest at the Wolves Den Pier. This gear is class-locked, so do make sure you're buying the gear for the class you're actually on.

You can farm the Aetherochemical Research Facility for 150 Lore per run, as well as unlock any optional level 60 dungeons you've not done yet which will all provide a lore tomestone bonus upon your first time completion.

You can run Weeping City of Mhach (ilvl 205 requirement) for a chance at item level 230 drops and a good amount of Lore/Scripture per run. I would recommend checking a guide before going in here though as there's one fight that's kinda tricky.

Eventually what'll hold you back is your weapon, of which you have a few options to go for:

You can do Palace of the Dead and work your way up to 30/30 aetherpool weapon/armor, which you can then turn into a NPC for an item level 235 weapon, and later get an item level 255 weapon by getting to 60/60 weapon/armor.

Get 1000 lore to buy ten Rowena's Tokens (Lore) and 4 drops from Alexander 8 (Midan Gear to trade in for a tomestone) to trade in for an item level 230 weapon.

The previously mentioned Disreputable Priest, who sells a 235 weapon for 4,000 wolf marks. This is probably the fastest and easiest to obtain level 60 weapon currently in the game.

XenoRaven

Man, Weeping City of Mhach was great the first time through. I'm​ really enjoying Palace of the Dead as well.

I'm glad I resubbed.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I can; I'm not going to deny that ping has an impact, but watching somebody literally freak out that an over-100ms ping might render them unable to raid is hilarious because that is not how this game works.

Like, yes it sucks that ping is getting worse for some people. Somewhere in the midwest would probably be the 'fairest' to everyone involved, but watching people lose their shit over ping times I've been lucky to get ( and will still continue to not see if the servers stay on the east coast) on a good day won't stop being funny any time soon.

Over 100 is pretty bad though. There's evidence that higher ping does lower DPS even while gameplay still feels relatively smooth and above 150ms double weaving without clipping is no longer possible (which is why the devs' statement that the game is designed for 200-200ms ping is hilariously detached from reality). I'm surprised people are expecting over 100 while on the continent though, is US Internet really THAT bad? I get 136 to Montreal with WTFast and I'm halfway across the world!

Squishy3

I don't get why they're being so coy about the new server location. It's not like people won't trace it the minute they're live.
Probably just for cybersecurity reasons, if I had to guess. It'd be pretty shitty to get targeted when doing live tests on the new architecture. Even if they just provided the state someone would hypothetically be able to narrow down the provider of the farm.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
you guys remember that book someone on reddit was making for yoshi's birthday.

Yoshi-P Community Project Update: He got it!
Found our page.

aqdPMYy.jpg

Squishy3

Are the servers supposed to be better than before after this transfer? Or is it a cost cutting measure? Or something else?
We've no idea what the actual changes will be other than making this move is what's allowing them to increase the inventory. They said they'd maxed out the expansion of their farm in the previous location.

My wife and I bought the game this weekend. Starting playing Sunday evening, and of course there has to be a 48hr maintenance. Perfect timing by us.

In the 5hrs we did play though, we had a ton of fun.

NeoCross

Almost level 40 now on my AST and I'm loving the class so much. Getting to play yu-gi-oh while healing and dpsing feels so good BlessRNG

I used to get almost the same ping to Montreal (110 ms) that I would get to Tokyo (130 ms). I mean I only spent a few hours fucking around on Tonberry but I literally didn't notice any latency difference between Tonberry and Ultros.

The situation has always been absolute bullshit for the West Coast and if Squenix continues to keep the servers on the East Coast I think a lot of people will be pissed and they rightfully should be. The West Coast has been getting shit on by Squenix having the servers in Montreal from day 1.

so june 20th is pretty close.. is there any more info floating around besides new jobs, areas and swimming really? i haven't seen anything about the battle system or any changes to jobs, etc. on my google searches

MST but Montreal isn't much better than East Coast so I'm hoping they stick it in the Midwest somewhere. Kasnas, Iowa, North Texas...somewhere close enough that anyone out west doesn't feel like they're being punished again.

so june 20th is pretty close.. is there any more info floating around besides new jobs, areas and swimming really? i haven't seen anything about the battle system or any changes to jobs, etc. on my google searches

Yoshi-P will be going into the battle system adjustments in the upcoming Live Letter on May 22nd.

aceface

If this solves level 3 shittiness I'm all for it. I've never had an issue but I've had enough raid nights messed up by connections going to hell after 9pm eastern.

Hey guys, I'm considering jumping back into the game sometime this month in anticipation for the new expansion. I pretty much completed the story at the start of Heavensward but quit before any patches came out, did they introduce any catch-up mechanics in later patches or am I kinda screwed if I try to get back into things at this point?

Also, did they do something about fate grinding or is that still the thing to do to level second jobs?

Omni

Hey guys, I'm considering jumping back into the game sometime this month in anticipation for the new expansion. I pretty much completed the story at the start of Heavensward but quit before any patches came out, did they introduce any catch-up mechanics in later patches or am I kinda screwed if I try to get back into things at this point?

Also, did they do something about fate grinding or is that still the thing to do to level second jobs?
If you completed HW, you really don't have that much to do. Okay, there's a fair bit. But now would be the perfect time. In my opinion you could quite comfortably be caught up by 4.0

As for levelling second jobs, Palace of the Dead is definitely the best way to do it. Actually rather fun too. One of the best things they've added in 3.x.

Squishy3

They added something called Palace of the Dead which is now the fastest way to level jobs, as it's role-agnostic so it has short queue times, starts you at level 1 and is essentially a 100 floor randomized dungeon.

For catchup mechanics, if you were to resub right now and not when Stormblood comes out, refer to this:

You can queue up for the PVP Frontlines roulette, this will earn you Lore and Scripture (230 and 260 respectively), as well as provide wolf marks which you can use to buy item level 235 Garo crossover gear from the Disreuptable Priest at the Wolves Den Pier. This gear is class-locked, so do make sure you're buying the gear for the class you're actually on.

You can farm the Aetherochemical Research Facility for 150 Lore per run, as well as unlock any optional level 60 dungeons you've not done yet which will all provide a lore tomestone bonus upon your first time completion.

You can run Weeping City of Mhach (ilvl 205 requirement) for a chance at item level 230 drops and a good amount of Lore/Scripture per run. I would recommend checking a guide before going in here though as there's one fight that's kinda tricky.

Eventually what'll hold you back is your weapon, of which you have a few options to go for:

You can do Palace of the Dead and work your way up to 30/30 aetherpool weapon/armor, which you can then turn into a NPC for an item level 235 weapon, and later get an item level 255 weapon by getting to 60/60 weapon/armor.

Get 1000 lore to buy ten Rowena's Tokens (Lore) and 4 drops from Alexander 8 (Midan Gear to trade in for a tomestone) to trade in for an item level 230 weapon.

The previously mentioned Disreputable Priest, who sells a 235 weapon for 4,000 wolf marks. This is probably the fastest and easiest to obtain level 60 weapon currently in the game.

If you want to not do any gearing up whatsoever, wait until Stormblood comes out and the 3.1+ MSQ will probably be updated to give gear rewards that let you continue into the expansion like the ARR quests were.

Excellent, especially the Palace of the Dead thing sounds like a big improvement!

I'll jump back in once I finish some of the other games I'm playing at the moment, cheers! :D

febLey

The ending of 2.55 is just wow. The Story keeps getting better and better.
I feel like they didn't have the money for an interesting story when the game relaunched, but as the game became more successful they pumped more money into it.

I'm very eager to see where Heavensward goes story-wise.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I guess their recipe for a successful MMO is to involve the player character as little as possible in their uh

story-oriented MMO.

Seriously was there a single shot of WoL doing anything in that trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom