• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My latest Squadron recruit....

rciKdhz.png

ViciousDS

Banned
What server is very active for PS4 base? I want to start but don't want to really use mumble or anything external to chat with folks. Would love to find a server with Ps4 link shells galore

Celcius

°Temp. member
I need to go up a level (to 36) in order to do the next story quest, but the only remaining monster on my level 4 hunter's log (lv 42 mirror knight) is too strong for me to kill right now. I guess I'll try to do some fates and find some quests around my level...

TimeKillr

Hey guys, so I'm wanting to get back into an MMO for the moment (I suddenly have more free time than I used to since my GF is now in school or working every single week night) so I was thinking of hopping back into this. I only played it briefly at launch, so I'm not too knowledgeable about the game.

Now I know that I typically prefer playing tanks in MMOs. I'm assuming the two basic tanking classes are Gladiator and Marauder, but just from looking at their abilities and such it's not very clear what kind of playstyles they use. I'm using to tanking using various classes in WoW (I mained a DK, but I also played a Warrior, a Paladin and a Druid) so I'm just curious as to how these guys play in this game.

Once I'm installed and all patched up I'll look for one of you to get into the FC in-game, but I already did my Guildworks application, so I'm good to go for that.

Qvoth

I need to go up a level (to 36) in order to do the next story quest, but the only remaining monster on my level 4 hunter's log (lv 42 mirror knight) is too strong for me to kill right now. I guess I'll try to do some fates and find some quests around my level...

i remember only grinding for exp when at level 49 because i ran out of quests
do your story dungeons that's closest to your level, and always do side quests if there's no fate parties going around
too bad yokai event has ended, so there's probably a lot less people doing fates now

Are you doing the leveling roulette in the Duty Finder daily? That should give you some nice experience. After you've done that, you can keep running the highest level dungeon you've unlocked. When you're not queuing you should do levequests in addition to fates. And make sure you're eating food; the 3% exp bonus is helpful.

Qvoth

deep dungeon actually is a decent leveling method
because you don't have to do job quests to get job skills, you can test out classes and skills too
think i leveled my sch/smn from 50 to 60 in perhaps around 4-5 runs from floor 1 to 50 (definitely less than 10 runs total), but this is before 3.4 patch, so it should be faster now? i think they buffed DD exp with 3.4

DD = PotD? I've been leveling my MCH there and it's insane exp. I went from level 30->45, gaining about half a level a floor.

Celcius

°Temp. member
i remember only grinding for exp when at level 49 because i ran out of quests
do your story dungeons that's closest to your level, and always do side quests if there's no fate parties going around
too bad yokai event has ended, so there's probably a lot less people doing fates now

Are you doing the leveling roulette in the Duty Finder daily? That should give you some nice experience. After you've done that, you can keep running the highest level dungeon you've unlocked. When you're not queuing you should do levequests in addition to fates. And make sure you're eating food; the 3% exp bonus is helpful.

Good info, thanks guys. I teamed up with Quote to kill those Mirror Knights and got to level 36.

Whew, that feeling when you accidentally fall off a huge cliff and survive with only 1 hp remaining @_@

I'm happy staying as a hyur. I recently used a fantasia to change my hair style; I went from short hair to shoulder-length hair. I don't like how the au ra look, so I'm not optimistic about what the next race will look like.
Wat

You could have just used the hair stylist lol

SkyOdin

Hey guys, so I'm wanting to get back into an MMO for the moment (I suddenly have more free time than I used to since my GF is now in school or working every single week night) so I was thinking of hopping back into this. I only played it briefly at launch, so I'm not too knowledgeable about the game.

Now I know that I typically prefer playing tanks in MMOs. I'm assuming the two basic tanking classes are Gladiator and Marauder, but just from looking at their abilities and such it's not very clear what kind of playstyles they use. I'm using to tanking using various classes in WoW (I mained a DK, but I also played a Warrior, a Paladin and a Druid) so I'm just curious as to how these guys play in this game.

Once I'm installed and all patched up I'll look for one of you to get into the FC in-game, but I already did my Guildworks application, so I'm good to go for that.

FFXIV has three different tanks:

Gladiator->Paladin
The Paladin is a very simple and straightforward tank. It has a very simple set of attack combos, but a wide variety of potent defensive cooldowns. Since a large part of its defense comes from blocking attacks with a shield (and from abilities that improve shield block rate), it is better than the other tanks at mitigating physical damage, but is weaker than the other tanks at dealing with magic damage. However, the Paladin also has some unique tricks, such as a powerful healing spell, a barrier that can be given to the whole party, and the ability to Cover an ally to take all physical damage in their place. The biggest drawback of the Paladin is that it lacks AoE damage capabilites, since it main AoE taunt does no damage. It's greatest strength is that it is the only tank with the ability to become totally invincible for a short period of time (the equivalent moves the other tanks get are more limited or have big drawbacks).

Marauder -> Warrior
Compared to the Paladin, the Warrior has a much more complicated basic attack routine, since it actually has to keep up a damage buff and has a Rage mechanic where you get additional stacks with successful combos. When the Warrior's rage caps out, it can expend that rage to use an attack that does a large chunk of damage, heal the user, and give a potent short-term defensive buff. The Warrior has a massive hitpoint pool, receiving extra hp from every heal. It also has an extensive number of self-heals. As such, in the right circumstances, it is possible for a skilled Warrior player to solo the boss of a 24-man raid. Warriors also have great damage-dealing and AoE damage ability. It is a well-rounded tank with strong damage capability, but is more technically complicated with less reliable defensive options. You need to carefully manage its rage stacks to get it to work correctly.

Dark Knight
This tanking job can be unlocked when you reach level 50 and get to the expansion content. It is a greatsword-wielding tank with an emphasis on magic defense and mp management. The class involves carefully managing your mp to maintain a powerful attack-power buff that constantly drains your mp. You have various ways to burn mp to boost defense or attack power, but also have various methods to regain mp. The Dark Knight also has good AoE and DoT options and has a fair number of reliable defensive cooldowns. However, it has the riskiest of the absolute defense options of the three tanks, since an incorrect use can kill you.

I really like Palace of the Dead. Unfortunately, I've run through 21-30 three times and have seen a combined five blue chests, four of which were duds or bombs. :(

20/19 currently, solo monk. As long as I don't get trapped between mines, mimics, and normal enemies, I should be able to manage, if only barely, at 20/19.

I really like Palace of the Dead. Unfortunately, I've run through 21-30 three times and have seen a combined five blue chests, four of which were duds or bombs. :(

20/19 currently, solo monk. As long as I don't get trapped between mines, mimics, and normal enemies, I should be able to manage, if only barely, at 20/19.
I'd recommend match party instead of solo, it's so much faster.

Qvoth

there's no practical reason for soloing it
dps queue for DD is pretty quick since 4 dps parties can still enter
just enter it with a matched party

I'm plowing through 7th Astral content to get to Heavensward and am really enjoying it.

However, I'm playing as a Dragoon and I feel like I'm not doing it right in regards to my hotbar setup (PS4). I've been looking at online guides and everything seems really complicated with insane combo setups utilizing cooldowns and whatnot. I messed around with it for about an hour last night and it just overwhelms me.

That being said, I've made it this far and rarely die, so there's that. But, I'd still like a decent setup. Doesn't have to be anything crazy like what I'm seeing online but I definitely want to be playing better and more effectively. Does anyone have any simpler setup suggestions that won't confuse the heck out of me?

On a side note, how is Heavensward and on? Really eager to get to it and some of the new stuff beyond that.

I'm plowing through 7th Astral content to get to Heavensward and am really enjoying it.

However, I'm playing as a Dragoon and I feel like I'm not doing it right in regards to my hotbar setup (PS4). I've been looking at online guides and everything seems really complicated with insane combo setups utilizing cooldowns and whatnot. I messed around with it for about an hour last night and it just overwhelms me.

That being said, I've made it this far and rarely die, so there's that. But, I'd still like a decent setup. Doesn't have to be anything crazy like what I'm seeing online but I definitely want to be playing better and more effectively. Does anyone have any simpler setup suggestions that won't confuse the heck out of me?

Here's what I do as a Dragoon. On the left side of the hotbar I have my basic global cooldown rotation: Heavy Thrust-Impulse Drive-Disembowel-Chaos Thrust in one group and Phlebotomize-True Thrust-Vorpal Thrust-Full Thrust in the other. On the right side I have cross class skills - Internal Release, Second Wind, Foresight - and Invigorate in one group, and my AoE skills - Ring of Thorns, Doom Spike, Dragonfire Dive - and Elusive Jump in the other group. Other skills, such as the jumping attacks, Blood for Blood, and Life Surge, are in my cross bar. It's a system I developed after some research and experimentation, and it works well for me. Once you get into the Heavensward job quests you'll need to add Blood of the Dragon into the mix, but you don't have to worry about that yet.

On a side note, how is Heavensward and on? Really eager to get to it and some of the new stuff beyond that.

It's great stuff, a marked improvement from basic ARR all around.

SkyOdin

Dragoon is built around a basic order of priorities that gives shape to a relatively straightforward rotation. However, there are some big differences between the level 50 rotation and the level 60 rotation, thanks to some new moves that were added in Heavensward.

The basic premise is this: your first priority is to have your Heavy Thrust damage buff up. Your second priority is to have your Disembowel debuff up. After that, you want to make sure your DoTs are up (one of these fits in naturally after the Disembowel). If all of those are up, then you can use your basic attack combo.

For level 50, you want to open up with Heavy Thrust, then Phlebotomize (the DoT with the same duration as Heavy Thrust). After that, you use your Impulse Thrust -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust combo to add in your debuff and second DoT. Then, you perform your main attack combo that ends with Full Thrust. After that, Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize need to be refreshed. So, the basic flow is that you use two full three-hit combos for every time you refresh Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize. Which of the two combo chains you use simply depends on how much time is remaining on your Disembowel/Chaos Thrust combos. I suggest that you focus on getting that basic rotation down before worrying too much about the various cooldowns. Those are easy to weave in once you have the main combo mastered.

I'm on a PC, so I don't know how to help with exact hotbar set-ups for a controller. However, what I would do is make sure to have the eight basic attacks of the Dragoon available on your most easily accessible bar. Stuff such as the jumps and cooldowns need to be visible to you, but they don't need to be as accessible. You AoE moves can easily be put in a second hotbar, since you rarely need to use both AoEs and your main combo at the same time. You are either in single-target mode or AoE mode, and switching between those modes is a good time to switch hotbars. You will probably want a second copy of Heavy Thrust on your AoE hotbar, so you don't have to switch to keep that up.

At level 60, you will be using a rather different attack rotation than at level 50. It is mostly the same, except you have to add in a fourth hit to the three-hit combos. It actually simplifies the rotation somewhat, since it becomes essentially a 10-hit attack rotation (with an element of randomness that adds a wrinkle to it).

Creating a hotbar isn't something I really know how to help with though, since it is a very personal thing. You just need to find a set-up that you are comfortable with.

As for Heavensward itself, the story is amazing. The leveling experience is a huge step up from A Realm Reborn.

Thorgal

What server is very active for PS4 base? I want to start but don't want to really use mumble or anything external to chat with folks. Would love to find a server with Ps4 link shells galore

PC and console players play on the same servers together so just looking for ps4 players FC is pretty meaningless since no side is better (in terms of gameplay at least.)

Now if you are asking for what the best servers are in terms of population will depend on whether you live in the EU or in NA or Asia.

Squishy3

Dragoon is built around a basic order of priorities that gives shape to a relatively straightforward rotation. However, there are some big differences between the level 50 rotation and the level 60 rotation, thanks to some new moves that were added in Heavensward.

The basic premise is this: your first priority is to have your Heavy Thrust damage buff up. Your second priority is to have your Disembowel debuff up. After that, you want to make sure your DoTs are up (one of these fits in naturally after the Disembowel). If all of those are up, then you can use your basic attack combo.

For level 50, you want to open up with Heavy Thrust, then Phlebotomize (the DoT with the same duration as Heavy Thrust). After that, you use your Impulse Thrust -> Disembowel -> Chaos Thrust combo to add in your debuff and second DoT. Then, you perform your main attack combo that ends with Full Thrust. After that, Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize need to be refreshed. So, the basic flow is that you use two full three-hit combos for every time you refresh Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize. Which of the two combo chains you use simply depends on how much time is remaining on your Disembowel/Chaos Thrust combos. I suggest that you focus on getting that basic rotation down before worrying too much about the various cooldowns. Those are easy to weave in once you have the main combo mastered.

I'm on a PC, so I don't know how to help with exact hotbar set-ups for a controller. However, what I would do is make sure to have the eight basic attacks of the Dragoon available on your most easily accessible bar. Stuff such as the jumps and cooldowns need to be visible to you, but they don't need to be as accessible. You AoE moves can easily be put in a second hotbar, since you rarely need to use both AoEs and your main combo at the same time. You are either in single-target mode or AoE mode, and switching between those modes is a good time to switch hotbars. You will probably want a second copy of Heavy Thrust on your AoE hotbar, so you don't have to switch to keep that up.

At level 60, you will be using a rather different attack rotation than at level 50. It is mostly the same, except you have to add in a fourth hit to the three-hit combos. It actually simplifies the rotation somewhat, since it becomes essentially a 10-hit attack rotation (with an element of randomness that adds a wrinkle to it).

Creating a hotbar isn't something I really know how to help with though, since it is a very personal thing. You just need to find a set-up that you are comfortable with.

As for Heavensward itself, the story is amazing. The leveling experience is a huge step up from A Realm Reborn.

Don't do phlebotomize before the impulse drive combo

level 50 rotation basically follows as

heavy thrust+blood for blood -> impulse drive +internal release+leg sweep-> disembowel+power surge -> chaos thrust+jump -> phlebotomize+dragonfire dive -> true thrust+spineshatter dive-> vorpal thrust+lifesurge -> full thrust then reapply heavy thrust then do the true thrust combo again, after which you'll do the impulse drive combo again to reapply disembowl and chaos thrust then go reapply heavy thrust as it will be just about to wear off

the reason you do phlebotomize after the impulse drive combo is so it's buffed by disembowel, whereas if you do phlebotomize after heavy thrust the only buff it will have is blood for blood.
additionally, the jumps are paced such that they go on cooldown relatively early (leading to them coming back up sooner) and you can't double weave a jump with any other off global cooldown abilities due to the animation locks

this rotation is a good beginner guide of how rotations work at "endgame" (as level 50 is no longer end-game) and will also allow you to easily incorporate the new abilities earned in Heavensward into your rotation as the actual rotation does not change, except for you no longer do the true thrust combo after reapplying heavy thrust, you start with the impulse drive combo and continue as normal.

Whew. Alright, really appreciate the replies. It's a bit to take in but I'll comb through what you all have said and try and learn it all. Thanks! It's at least more clear and a bit less complex than other things I've seen.

Whew. Alright, really appreciate the replies. It's a bit to take in but I'll comb through what you all have said and try and learn it all. Thanks! It's at least more clear and a bit less complex than other things I've seen.
What level are you? My DRG is only level 42, but I felt overwhelmed too. What I did was just attempt small parts of rotation guides to understand why they're better than just hitting random stuff, then adding and adding. It's also a lot more overwhelming when you don't have all the abilities because you don't have any attachment to how they work yet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
PC and console players play on the same servers together so just looking for ps4 players FC is pretty meaningless since no side is better (in terms of gameplay at least.)

Now if you are asking for what the best servers are in terms of population will depend on whether you live in the EU or in NA or Asia.
I wrote the same reply, but then realized that the poster probably wants to communicate with the FC members using the PS4 Chat, not outside tools like Mumble or Discord.

What level are you? My DRG is only level 42, but I felt overwhelmed too. What I did was just attempt small parts of rotation guides to understand why they're better than just hitting random stuff, then adding and adding. It's also a lot more overwhelming when you don't have all the abilities because you don't have any attachment to how they work yet.

Yeah this is my problem, I don't really get a lot of the "lingo" the vets have so some things just go over my head lol.

And I'm lv. 52.

Yeah this is my problem, I don't really get a lot of the "lingo" the vets have so some things just go over my head lol.

And I'm lv. 52.
I personally wouldn't worry too much about it till you're level 60. For now, just familiarize yourself with what you currently have and how they can be used. Pay attention to things that don't have a global cooldown and always have them on cooldown, if heavy thrust and your dots are not up, get them up, if it's a long fight and you can get a full combo in, do that, if its a short add fight, then use your abilities that are not so combo driven and have more damage up front.

Omni

After trying to tank Sophia ex today I realised that it really bothers me that Grit is on the global cooldown.

It's not the same with Defiance and Deliverance, right? What's the reasoning behind this?

I personally wouldn't worry too much about it till you're level 60. For now, just familiarize yourself with what you currently have and how they can be used. Pay attention to things that don't have a global cooldown and always have them on cooldown, if heavy thrust and your dots are not up, get them up, if it's a long fight and you can get a full combo in, do that, if its a short add fight, then use your abilities that are not so combo driven and have more damage up front.

Pretty much just experimenting with the tips provided and paying more attention to what each skill actually does as the context should help make it more clear. I was hoping for something simpler, like no more than 12 actions but that doesn't seem like it'll cut it :p

I could switch to a simpler class but ehhh already went through an allagan tomestone grind for the ironworks lancer gear.

Squishy3

Pretty much just experimenting with the tips provided and paying more attention to what each skill actually does as the context should help make it more clear. I was hoping for something simpler, like no more than 12 actions but that doesn't seem like it'll cut it :p

I could switch to a simpler class but ehhh already went through an allagan tomestone grind for the ironworks lancer gear.
Dragoon's honestly one of the simpler classes. You basically go from left to right on your keyboard while weaving in the OGCD abilities like Blood for Blood and Internal Release between your normal abilities.

Thankfully, XIV is nothing like WoW for example where you're mashing one ability as filler while waiting for something to proc so you can do that. That's basically what protection warrior is in WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom