• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Went 3/3 Jackpot on Mini-Cactpot

77zftHY.png

iammeiam

lololol. I wonder if the live letter will be fans only too

How's that going to stop someone from restreaming?

You can start streams, but they can figure out who you are and one would assume terminate your account's access to content. The forensic watermarking used isn't something you'll be able to hide and restream.

Reencoding a live show for each end-user? /doubt.
Whitepaper available to soothe your doubts about watermarking livestreams.

lololol. I wonder if the live letter will be fans only too

You can start streams, but they can figure out who you are and one would assume terminate your account's access to content. The forensic watermarking used isn't something you'll be able to hide and restream.

Whitepaper available to soothe your doubts about watermarking livestreams.

How would something like having a camera in front of your monitor set up to stream as opposed to just re-streaming the stream itself on your computer affect this?

Ken

How would something like having a camera in front of your monitor set up to stream as opposed to just re-streaming the stream itself on your computer affect this?

i think watching someone's camera watch someone's monitor displaying a stream is probably unappealing enough to not worry about those cases

Frumix

Suffering From Success

From my understanding, it's basically something akin to a QR code. Rather than just being an overlay with your ID or whatever, the information is encoded as a graphic that can then be subsequently decoded by the reading program. So within a certain margin of visual degradation, it would still be readable, depending on how it was designed. It is then overlaid onto the video feed (client-side or stream server side), either constantly or in short bursts, in a color difference that's subtle enough that your eye wouldn't pick it up, but a program will. Video compression technologies are already based on the idea that you can remove and then estimate a certain amount of visual information with enough precision to not create visible degradation (basically, human eye is very sensitive to brightness differences, and much less sensitive to differences in certain colors). I'm not sure whether this particular technology requires a sequence of frames (in which case screengrabs are unidentifiable) or just one frame but it doesn't really matter, as the only way to circumvent it would be to either visually degrade the video feed enough for the embed to be unreadable, which cannot be done without also making it more or less unwatchable without knowing the patterns they use, or to play frames out of order, which is also unwatchable. The only question I have is how they figured out the processing power to serve individual streams with individual embeds but I guess they did or this whole thing wouldn't really work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: am I discussing digital content piracy on GAF, wrong move I guess

From my understanding, it's basically something akin to a QR code. Rather than just being an overlay with your ID or whatever, the information is encoded as a graphic that can then be subsequently decoded by the reading program. So within a certain margin of visual degradation, it would still be readable, depending on how it was designed. It is then overlaid onto the video feed (client-side or stream server side), either constantly or in short bursts, in a color difference that's subtle enough that your eye wouldn't pick it up, but a program will. Video compression technologies are already based on the idea that you can remove and then estimate a certain amount of visual information with enough precision to not create visible degradation (basically, human eye is very sensitive to brightness differences, and much less sensitive to differences in certain colors). I'm not sure whether this particular technology requires a sequence of frames (in which case screengrabs are unidentifiable) or just one frame but it doesn't really matter, as the only way to circumvent it would be to either visually degrade the video feed enough for the embed to be unreadable, which cannot be done without also making it more or less unwatchable without knowing the patterns they use, or to play frames out of order, which is also unwatchable. The only question I have is how they figured out the processing power to serve individual streams with individual embeds but I guess they did or this whole thing wouldn't really work. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: am I discussing digital content piracy on GAF, wrong move I guess
It's most likely a layer that is created on the users computer over the video rather being something embedded from the source directly. The layer is generated off a unique key for each user, and creates a unique layer to play over the video. I've seen this used in training videos and materials.

As far as what the water marking is, it could be as simple as your user name moving on the screen and changing colors in a way that can be translated into your key.

Edit: just saw the actual watermark, interesting.

Squishy3

i'm sure someone streaming on some obscure site like cybergame won't get shut down but anything posted on reddit or anywhere remotely public will get shut down.

i've got no qualms paying for the LA fanfest stream and i really want the lulu minion but i hope someone is at least translating the tokyo one, be it via text or tweets or whatever

I just realized if you have to pay 30 bucks to watch each stream that's 90 bucks in total.

How come they are charging and so much when everything else lets you watch event streams for free?

Village

New computer just came in the mail

Aright how much Final Fantasy did I miss in a month. How many people died? Is the game dead yet?

iammeiam

Another thing worth noting from the live stream FAQ:

If I pick the Abes Attire and then Fantasia from a male character to a female character, will I be able to exchange it for the High Summoner's Attire?
No, this will not be possible.

There's no reason to not have it work like the Lightning/Snow stuff aside from... Well.

New computer just came in the mail

Aright how much Final Fantasy did I miss in a month. How many people died? Is the game dead yet?

It's the second week of the new patch so decently into the honeymoon period. Game is saved, patch of the forever, godking YoshiP can do no wrong, etc.

iammeiam

Yeah, but since there's just 2 outfits the outfit token for the 3rd stream is useless.

On the bright side, if you buy 3 streams, and you know somebody who only wants to buy 1 stream, you can give them your extra code so they can get both outfits!

But yeah comparing this whole thing to the 2014 livestream setup is just sad. There's also that I kind of suspect NA will have the least actual information in its stream, since it comes first.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
On the bright side, if you buy 3 streams, and you know somebody who only wants to buy 1 stream, you can give them your extra code so they can get both outfits!

But yeah comparing this whole thing to the 2014 livestream setup is just sad. There's also that I kind of suspect NA will have the least actual information in its stream, since it comes first.
But then you lose out on the 3rd minion.

Notice Regarding In-Game Item Delivery

· Items are planned to be distributed via Mog Letter starting from October 16, 2016 at 12:01 a.m. (PT).
· At this time, you will receive a Mog Letter containing the Wind-up Rikku minion and “Dream of the Fayth” token items.
· You will be able to exchange the “Dream of the Fayth” token items for either the Abes’ attire or High Summoner attire after the conclusion of the Fan Festival in Europe. Be sure to hold onto them!

http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=75552&ret=main&id=14461&la=1

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Who on earth would want a glamour of Tidus' horrid outfit?
assholes like myself
I also don't have a female character and none of the dragon options are interesting. Also I'm paying 30 dollars so if I cant glamour yuna's outfit I need something to glamour after the glamour rework. Is the tidus out fit only available for DPS characters?

Squishy3

... i went into raid finder for sophia ex and hadn't seen past like 40% prior (only went in a couple times)

and we made it to 50% the first try with LOADS OF MISTAKES and then cleared on the 2nd try and like almost nobody made any mistakes. raid finder would be better if it had something like wow's "do you wish to requeue with this same group"

Ken

i did raidfinder soph and got to 37% second pull and then the tank got huffy and puffy and forced us to vote kick him or he afk

Demoskinos

So I got AST to 60 earlier today and figured "Hey lets run midas and get some gear real quick" Fucking hell. People cannot CANNOT figure out A7.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
when i click raid finder i only see options for creator savage though? where's the sophia ex option?
Did you unlock it? After you turn in the quest for normal, the quest giver gives you an item that you have to take back to the node in azys lla to unlock it. Containment bay whatever the hell it is then gets added to RF.

I just finished up the new MSQ content. I didn't expect this short storyline ending to be so impactful.

Also,
if you want to get rid of a really power item, in this case two, maybe don't throw them off a bridge and never expect to see them again?

Qvoth

Also,
if you want to get rid of a really power item, in this case two, maybe don't throw them off a bridge and never expect to see them again?

yeah that was stupid as hell
at least it wasn't the empire that found them though, so that's a twist in my view

Kenai

Oh man

why on earth did I assume they wouldn't be as consumer unfriendly as possible about this

It's a science

I just finished up the new MSQ content. I didn't expect this short storyline ending to be so impactful.

Also,

they even threw them off the same side of the bridge! i was like uuugggghhhh at that whole scene, the "closure" was totally ruined

Squishy3

nothing like joining a learning/clear party teaching a lot of people from 0 how to do the fight and then when you hit 5% enrage with like 10 deaths and need to back out because there isn't enough time everybody starts experiencing crippling lag upon reentering and you can't clear it despite having been right there

So I know they said there would be no free streaming for fanfest but I hope they at least stream the live letter. That's bullshit to charge $30 just to watch one thing. I don't give a shit about the two concerts by people I don't know or the panels on lore and stuff. I just want to know what content is coming to the game I enjoy.

They've never charged for the live letter before, it'd be pretty shitty to start now.

Ken

even if there isn't, print screen + text is sufficient too. maybe even better to sift through the fluff

There's probably going to be unofficial restreams if you know where to look

Yeah uh, about that.

They are using Cleeng to broadcast the streams.

https://cleeng.com/blog/company/pre...-grabbing-stream-ripping-september-27th-2014/

Addressing the $21 billion TVOD and SVOD market (Source: PWC – State of Media Forecast 2018), Cleeng Tattoo goes farther than any other available solution on the market by offering more than just a stand-alone security option by also combining all of the elements of a complete and powerful video e-commerce platform, complete with user credentials, payment information, and access control.

The watermark is very subtly tattoo-ed in the video stream, and remains readable even after manipulation or editing of the stream. Cleeng Tattoo patent pending technology guarantees ZERO-Loss in video definition, and is compatible with most video formats – MPEG 2, AVC (MPEG-4 Part 10 and H.264), HEVC (MPEG-H Part 2 and H.265) among others. It preserves a rewarding experience for the viewers on any type of device, including PC, Mac, Tablets, Smartphones, SmartTV and Chromecast in SD, HD, or even the future 4K resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom