• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
l8d0iP1.jpg

rgnRiey.jpg

kFqJIwn.jpg

The stuff of nightmares.

Dragoon's honestly one of the simpler classes. You basically go from left to right on your keyboard while weaving in the OGCD abilities like Blood for Blood and Internal Release between your normal abilities.

I'm sure it's easier on keyboard, playing on PS4 though. It's really not a hard setup, I'm just trying to find a solid rotation and set it up to where I just go in circles around the face buttons and dpad.

Ogawa-san

After trying to tank Sophia ex today I realised that it really bothers me that Grit is on the global cooldown.

It's not the same with Defiance and Deliverance, right? What's the reasoning behind this?
People aren't joking when they say WAR is the best designed job in the game.

Oath/Grit being on GCD makes me think it was pure luck...

After trying to tank Sophia ex today I realised that it really bothers me that Grit is on the global cooldown.

It's not the same with Defiance and Deliverance, right? What's the reasoning behind this?

It use to be worse. Changing stance use to break combos.

I assume the oGCD is how they want to keep WAR special. It's all about managing stances and switching to take a hit with inner beast then go back, or vice versa with fell cleave. Unlike war, the other 2 classes have a damage boost in sword oath and dark side that they probably dont want you to abuse by being able to switch without some sort of cost between big hits.

As for Sophia, do not worry about switching after or when you should be provoking and being late on the follow up agro hit. Just prep your agro combo, voke and finish it. You should easily hold it from the other tank and all you are getting hit by is autos. Switch after you establish.

Man, everyone else I know has the hair from Palace of the Dead but me. I've gotten 2 full weapons and opened 60+ sacks but nothing. RNGesus hates me apparently.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

The primary reason for why WAR gets to freely switch stances between globals is that... well, Defiance doesn't actually grant you any defense. You're no more or less tankier in any stance as a warrior, and switching to Defiance doesn't even automatically grant you any HP. Therefore there's no real benefit to just pressing Defiance until you actually start to get healed or producing aggro. Grit and Shield Oath are fundamentally different in that they actually provide the tank with mitigation. If they were free and off the global, you could use them as makeshift defensive cooldowns.

Man, everyone else I know has the hair from Palace of the Dead but me. I've gotten 2 full weapons and opened 60+ sacks but nothing. RNGesus hates me apparently.

's okay. On my last PotD run last night, trying to get upgrades, I only got oneupgrade, 12 sacks...and 12 fireworks out of them.

Can I keep my aether levels if I join a party, or does that reset?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
's okay. On my last PotD run last night, trying to get upgrades, I only got oneupgrade, 12 sacks...and 12 fireworks out of them.

Can I keep my aether levels if I join a party, or does that reset?
You keep them across all classes/save slots (even if you reset data) until you exchange 30/30 for a weapon at a NPC iirc.

ViciousDS

Banned
PC and console players play on the same servers together so just looking for ps4 players FC is pretty meaningless since no side is better (in terms of gameplay at least.)

Now if you are asking for what the best servers are in terms of population will depend on whether you live in the EU or in NA or Asia.

Well that answer to that would probably be Gilgamesh for NA.....that servers population is insane from what I hear

That'sall that was keeping me from doing it in a group, other than the whole "don't want to impose by asking" thing. Thanks.
You mean like asking for others to go with you? The NPC does make it sound like you need to go in with a premade party with friends, but if you join a matched session without anyone in your party it will just throw you into duty finder for 3 others. Every 10 floors you'll get a new set of people.

TimeKillr

FFXIV has three different tanks:

Gladiator->Paladin
The Paladin is a very simple and straightforward tank. It has a very simple set of attack combos, but a wide variety of potent defensive cooldowns. Since a large part of its defense comes from blocking attacks with a shield (and from abilities that improve shield block rate), it is better than the other tanks at mitigating physical damage, but is weaker than the other tanks at dealing with magic damage. However, the Paladin also has some unique tricks, such as a powerful healing spell, a barrier that can be given to the whole party, and the ability to Cover an ally to take all physical damage in their place. The biggest drawback of the Paladin is that it lacks AoE damage capabilites, since it main AoE taunt does no damage. It's greatest strength is that it is the only tank with the ability to become totally invincible for a short period of time (the equivalent moves the other tanks get are more limited or have big drawbacks).

Marauder -> Warrior
Compared to the Paladin, the Warrior has a much more complicated basic attack routine, since it actually has to keep up a damage buff and has a Rage mechanic where you get additional stacks with successful combos. When the Warrior's rage caps out, it can expend that rage to use an attack that does a large chunk of damage, heal the user, and give a potent short-term defensive buff. The Warrior has a massive hitpoint pool, receiving extra hp from every heal. It also has an extensive number of self-heals. As such, in the right circumstances, it is possible for a skilled Warrior player to solo the boss of a 24-man raid. Warriors also have great damage-dealing and AoE damage ability. It is a well-rounded tank with strong damage capability, but is more technically complicated with less reliable defensive options. You need to carefully manage its rage stacks to get it to work correctly.

Dark Knight
This tanking job can be unlocked when you reach level 50 and get to the expansion content. It is a greatsword-wielding tank with an emphasis on magic defense and mp management. The class involves carefully managing your mp to maintain a powerful attack-power buff that constantly drains your mp. You have various ways to burn mp to boost defense or attack power, but also have various methods to regain mp. The Dark Knight also has good AoE and DoT options and has a fair number of reliable defensive cooldowns. However, it has the riskiest of the absolute defense options of the three tanks, since an incorrect use can kill you.

Alright, thanks! I'm not worried about complexity so I think I'll stick with the Warrior.

You mean like asking for others to go with you? The NPC does make it sound like you need to go in with a premade party with friends, but if you join a matched session without anyone in your party it will just throw you into duty finder for 3 others. Every 10 floors you'll get a new set of people.
That's what it looked like to me, but I like challenges and roguelites.

PoTD is some of my favorite content.

IvorB

Did Weeping City for the first time yesterday. The fights were a lot more up-close-and-person than I expected and I liked it. The Ozma fight is pure class.

Feels good getting all of Alexander done in less than an hour for the week and getting all the drops I wanted, except for the minion.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I have equally bad luck. Got Pugalist up to 30 from running 1-10 over and over and unlocked Monk. No hair yet. Not even any good V materia.

TalonJH

For whatever reason, I thought I could do everything on the list in Wonderous Tails and not just the 9/9. Screwed up that book.

Thorgal

3.4 MSQ spoilers :
now that we have seen Urianger without a hood , can we all agree that he is the second sexiest Elezen next to Estinien ? :p

Amirnol

I just started playing again, haven't logged in for 2 years! I have a lvl50 SMN and I am pretty overwhelmed right now, haha. I could use some advice on my spell rotations, or if anyone knows of a good guide out there on the internet?

Also in terms of quests, I basically finished the story of 2.0 and quit almost right after, so I am waaay behind in terms of reaching the expansion content. I went back to Revenant's Toll and the camp is way changed now, I see lots of quests here. Will doing these eventually lead me to the continuation of the story and ultimately the beginning of the expansion content?

Thanks!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing again, haven't logged in for 2 years! I have a lvl50 SMN and I am pretty overwhelmed right now, haha. I could use some advice on my spell rotations, or if anyone knows of a good guide out there on the internet?

Also in terms of quests, I basically finished the story of 2.0 and quit almost right after, so I am waaay behind in terms of reaching the expansion content. I went back to Revenant's Toll and the camp is way changed now, I see lots of quests here. Will doing these eventually lead me to the continuation of the story and ultimately the beginning of the expansion content?

Thanks!

If you finished the story in 2.0, I think the next main story quest is back in (groan) the Waking Sands- Mor Dhona should have a bunch of quests for 50 dungeons/raids but if you want HW stuff it's not a priority right now.

Also I think most of the current guides are for 60 smns; I'm sure someone around here remembers the 50 rotation, but for levelling purposes, the three dots and using fester/bane is probably good enough?

wamberz1

About 5 days in now and I'm really enjoying this game. It's funny because I actually gave it a go a couple years ago, before heavensward, and absolutely hated it. But now I'm realizing that it was because I was treating the pre-end game like a tedious grind, skipping through cutscenes, just grinding constantly so I could get to end game. Now I realize that If I let myself get absorbed into the world and it's story it's a far more enjoyable experience.

And man, the music in this game. One of the reasons I got back into it was because I spoiled myself on the final "boss" of heavensward
(thordan)
Just for shits to see what I was missing out on and MAN the theme song blew me away! I listened to a couple more trial themes and decided I had to experience it for myself.

Overall I'm really glad I gave it a second go and enjoying the hell out of it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Scene was too awkward for me 2/10
I thought I would have been at least given more options like
accuse the butler
to break the awkwardness but It was a pretty standard scene and I just had to pull through. It kinda reminded me of a scene in Persona 4 too.

I liked how the Warrior of Light was subtly giving the side eye to that butler pouring the drinks. We've had too many bad experiences with strangers and wine lol.

Squishy3

I was distracted the entire time through that scene because my armor was clipping up and through the table.

fanfest hopes and dreams: i hope koji fox is forced to sing rise against his will

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I thought it was like an EVO stream thing where you could watch but in shitty SD resolution. But also if I'm wrong, I can see why they would lock the stream behind a paywall because you are buying the
buying a service that expires in a year
stream.

Killthee

I thought it was like an EVO stream thing where you could watch but in shitty SD resolution. But also if I'm wrong, I can see why they would lock the stream behind a paywall because you are buying the
buying a service that expires in a year
stream.
It was like that last time around iirc. This time it looks like they've dumped twitch for it and are using some ppv service called cleeng.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It was like that last time around iirc. This time it looks like they've dumped twitch for it and are using some ppv service called cleeng.
I should do more extensive research of the stream before i pay $30.
I'm sure there will be someone who will just stream the FF stream but downsampled.

But either way, you get 3 sets of free items for paying 30 dollars!

Killthee

I should do more extensive research of the stream before i pay $30.
I'm sure there will be someone who will just stream the FF stream but downsampled.

But either way, you get 3 sets of free items for paying 30 dollars!
Its 2 items, you only get 1 outfit not both.

Oh and apparently cleeng watermarks their streams...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom