• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahed

Odin is The Official EU raiding server , right ?

thinking of making an alt there and making some new friends ( and fyi ,no this has nothing to do with the FC leader stuff above )
I'm on Odin and Raiding seems pretty strong. Not that I raid anymore but PF is always active and I know a lot of people who are on A12s

The PvP WHM coat looks pretty cool once you dye it.

xDxsNl4.jpg

NyeBLIE.jpg

NcW3Uj8.jpg

A lot of that PvP stuff is really cheap now so it's good for cheap cool looking glamour options.

on the down side, i think in about a month or so a lot of people are going to complain that this time it's too easy
As long as there's only two difficulties to raids, this needs to be the main one. Maybe tune the DPS checks up a tad in the next raid considering job difficulty being looked at but yeah, let people whine, I want to clear content before a catch up patch not after. I'm seeing PUG parties constantly which is way more healthy for the game than a bunch of people that usually give nothing back to the raiding community besides guides taking an extra week or two to beat these fights.
This better be worth it
it will not
The Rikku minion though

Shahed

I leveled gathering professions together, FSH was the first one to get to 60. Mostly thanks to every day's GC provision taking at least half an hour to get done, but still...

Netflix, a controller so you can do it without looking at the screen, a hook/cast macro to make the whole process a one-button thing, and a bunch of GC surviving manuals for extra exp, that will get you there. Honestly, it was less painful than the other two professions since they have you running all over the place.
Tried it out and this fishing macro is a godsend! One button press on vibrate and I can do whatever else in the mean time

I love my FC. Getting used to endgame tank life as a fresh 60(ilvl 218) and it is nice to have people patient with you while you get used to it and don't feel pressure from them.

Debating on purchasing the live stream, but I only want to watch it for expansion and new job reveal, and live letter. Not interested in much else. Seems to be a bit steep for a purchase, maybe I should just wait for the eventual reddit explosion.

The Tidus gear, I get the feeling it's going to be all one piece and not individual like Cid's gear, that would be a letdown.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Debating on purchasing the live stream, but I only want to watch it for expansion and new job reveal, and live letter. Not interested in much else. Seems to be a bit steep for a purchase, maybe I should just wait for the eventual reddit explosion.

The Tidus gear, I get the feeling it's going to be all one piece and not individual like Cid's gear, that would be a letdown.

You can't even get Dream of the Fayth gear until after the last Fanfest in February. Yoshida communism in action. Where was it when they planned maid costume promotions, huh?!

Chille

You can't even get Dream of the Fayth gear until after the last Fanfest in February. Yoshida communism in action. Where was it when they planned maid costume promotions, huh?!

It's the same as last fanfest, couldn't get moogle suit till after last fanfest

aceface

Probably gonna buy the stream even though I'll only be able to make it home for about the last 15 minutes of the keynote. Buh.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Probably gonna buy the stream even though I'll only be able to make it home for about the last 15 minutes of the keynote. Buh.
You have rights to the hd stream that's good for one year after the event started. So you can rewatch and think its live.
except for the omnipresent watermark.

Squishy3

As long as there's only two difficulties to raids, this needs to be the main one. Maybe tune the DPS checks up a tad in the next raid considering job difficulty being looked at but yeah, let people whine, I want to clear content before a catch up patch not after. I'm seeing PUG parties constantly which is way more healthy for the game than a bunch of people that usually give nothing back to the raiding community besides guides taking an extra week or two to beat these fights.
Honestly I think this is a good cycle because ideally what the playerbase should take away from it is getting new people confident about raiding again, and hopefully whatever the raid in 4.0 is has this same sort of curve to it.

A12->Sophia EX->A9S is a very natural progression of difficulty, unlike 3.2 where you have people who can clear Sephirot EX but can't clear Hummelfaust.

I wonder if you guys could help at all...I bought the complete collection on ps4 on the 6th using my wallet top up I've been saving.

Now i wanted to download it but psn store is saying I need to purchase the game I already bought.

I checked to restore liscenses as usually it's still not coming up even though my transaction history says I purchased the game.

Anyone had this before on ps4 version?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I haven't got to the post-game yet (just lv 42) but when people say they cleared a9, a11, etc.. are these post game dungeons?

Absolutely cannot seem to understand how to do Dragoon efficiently. I've looked up countless guides, watched countless videos and I can't wrap my head around how I'm supposed to be doing it. So many abbreviations that I don't get (I get a few now!) but at this point it's become more aggravating than fun. And I keep getting called out about it during fights which only adds to the annoyance.

Are there any simpler classes that are easier to understand, or is it pretty much the same with everything? I don't want to stop playing, but I'm definitely about to throw in the towel.

Ken

Absolutely cannot seem to understand how to do Dragoon efficiently. I've looked up countless guides, watched countless videos and I can't wrap my head around how I'm supposed to be doing it. So many abbreviations that I don't get (I get a few now!) but at this point it's become more aggravating than fun. And I keep getting called out about it during fights which only adds to the annoyance.

Are there any simpler classes that are easier to understand, or is it pretty much the same with everything? I don't want to stop playing, but I'm definitely about to throw in the towel.

NIN or MNK if you want to stay melee.

NIN or MNK if you want to stay melee.

I heard Monk at least was harder lol. I think that's the thing, there are so many varying opinions and personal experiences that there's no one true way to go about stuff... which is good, I can appreciate complexity to an extent, but in this case I just get a thousand different answers to things I look up online. And it doesn't help that most guides assume that everyone knows what every little abbreviation and whatnot means. Like I didn't know what GCD was, I do now but I still don't quite understand it.

I thought I had a decent setup going until I fought Odin last night. I don't really want to DROP Dragoon though as I'm becoming more and more familiar with my actions and even the icons. I am sucking bad though.

Ken

I heard Monk at least was harder lol. I think that's the thing, there are so many varying opinions and personal experiences that there's no one true way to go about stuff... which is good, I can appreciate complexity to an extent, but in this case I just get a thousand different answers to things I look up online. And it doesn't help that most guides assume that everyone knows what every little abbreviation and whatnot means. Like I didn't know what GCD was, I do now but I still don't quite understand it.

I thought I had a decent setup going until I fought Odin last night.

You could always go back and try to learn the basics and then try DRG again, since things like GCD still apply to MNK and NIN (and all jobs really).

Anyways, I personally find trying to upkeep timer mechanics like Blood of the Dragon a giant pain, and find Huton and Greased Lightning less infuriating. They also have less animation lock than Dragoon jumps.

MNK is the simplest of the current melee jobs. You have the least buttons, never need to double weave anything, its basically all about being able to keep GL3 and knowing the fights

You could always go back and try to learn the basics and then try DRG again, since the basics of GCD still apply to MNK and NIN (and all jobs really).

Yeah. I think I'm just going to have to pony up and figure it all out. Just super overwhelmed by it. Played for the longest time without even realizing I was doing anything wrong though, and rarely actually started losing/dying until just about a week ago.

MNK is the simplest of the current melee jobs. You have the least buttons, never need to double weave anything, its basically all about being able to keep GL3 and knowing the fights

If I can't work out Dragoon, I'll definitely keep this in mind. Also heard Bard was very simple and is easier on a controller.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I'm a dragoon, it's a great class. If people in your party start complaining about how you play just tell them to mind their business lol. What level are you and what were their complaints?

True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust is a great bread and butter combo.
When approaching an enemy, I love to Jump -> Spineshatter Dive -> (then the blue attack that causes slow)
Then I like to put Phlebotomize on them and do Impulse Drive -> Disembowel. Meanwhile, I also like to make sure that Keen Flurry and Power Surge have been activated. If the enemy I'm fighting isn't doing a ton of damage to me then I use Blood for Blood.

I'm a dragoon, it's a great class. If people in your party start complaining about how you play just tell them to mind their business lol. What level are you and what were their complaints?

True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust is a great bread and butter combo.
When approaching an enemy, I love to Jump -> Spineshatter Dive -> (then the blue attack that causes slow)
Then I like to put Phlebotomize on them and do Impulse Drive -> Disembowel. Meanwhile, I also like to make sure that Keen Flurry and Power Surge have been activated. If the enemy I'm fighting isn't doing a ton of damage to me then I use Blood for Blood.

See, this is fucking straightforward. It's unbelievable how hard it is to find something this simplified.

HT TTR GCD ----> VT TT PH ID TTT FOTR ROTK ROTS AOTC GDC E3 2011

Is about all I find online. So thanks for that. I'm level 52 right now. The complaints were just "the Dragoon sucks" and things like that lol, and some telling me to do combos that I was already doing.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/12655609/ Here's my current character build if anyone has any gear/weapon suggestions. Story wise I'm up to
where Moenbryda died :(
So, not even quite to Heavensward yet.

Leunam

Out of the three melee, I found Dragoon to be the easiest. It's my secondary when I just want to putz about, Monk is my main.

If a boss has a lot of downtime it can be tricky maintaining Blood of the Dragon up in the meantime but besides that it's not so bad.

On longer encounters I start with the Chaos Thrust combo followed by whatever the 4th hit is with BotD up then followed by Phlebotomize. The timers line up to where you'll have 22 to 24 seconds on Phlebotomize, Chaos Thrust, Disembowel, and Blood of the Dragon. Two things happen here. First, you use Geirskogul immediately after Phlebotomize and you'll have plenty of time to refresh it when you do your Full Thrust combo. Second, all those timers are fairly close to one another, so when you refresh Chaos Thrust you should immediately refresh Phlebotomize. You also want to use Jump paired with Power Surge when you can. They have a 30 and 60 second timer respectively so you can use them together when they're up easily. I save Life Surge for the 4th hit of each BotD combo if I can get the positional bonus. Otherwise I hold it briefly for Full Thrust if I can't. Feint is a lot of TP for not a whole lot of use, I ignore it personally. Leg Sweep, Spineshatter Dive and Dragonfire Dive are used on cooldown. Lastly, I use Geirskogul if I have 20-22 seconds left on BotD, any less and I risk losing the buff due to downtime or AoE.

Once you get used to all that you can look into the opener for boss fights. And again, out of the three melee, I found it the easiest, even with double weaving abilities.

Oh I see you're only at level 52. In that case you can ignore whatever abilities I wrote up there that you don't have. It's even easier that way.

I don't even have some of those skills yet :p

I did read about cross-class skills but I'm not sure if they're absolutely mandatory that I get 'em. I am poring over what setup you just wrote about though and appreciate it.

When I'm doing the rotation, is there a certain rhythm to activating things? I have it set up currently to where I start with R2 and the face buttons, expire those, R2 and d-pad actions, L2/face, L2/pad. Maybe I'm activating certain skills at incorrect intervals.

I disagree. I find it's more involved than ninja because each of your 6 combo moves rotate between 2 different positionals that significantly impact dps (which if you aren't hitting, you are playing monk wrong) coupled with 2 dots and 2 buff/debuffs that are on different timers and must be kept up on top of keeping up GL3 and knowing the fight takes a certain level of time to build up muscle memory.

Ninja on the other hand is ezpz. Armor break means rarely having to think about huton and aside from that, 2 end of combo positionals and one major dot.

It's great. Especially since most 8 man content there is almost always a WAR to keep the slash debuff on which is one less thing to think about. Also, dope animations.

That all said, monks elixer field is still the best new move of the expansion.

Leunam

I've got my hotbar mostly set up with level 60 abilities in mind. But I'll try and share what I have later.

My main combo abilities are on the right side face buttons. If I have to move I can still jam L2 or R2 and a right side button to attack on the move instead of a D-pad button which can be a little awkward.

See, this is fucking straightforward. It's unbelievable how hard it is to find something this simplified.

HT TTR GCD ----> VT TT PH ID TTT FOTR ROTK ROTS AOTC GDC E3 2011

Is about all I find online. So thanks for that. I'm level 52 right now. The complaints were just "the Dragoon sucks" and things like that lol, and some telling me to do combos that I was already doing.
It's not that hard to find though. Here's a basic image guide, there's more nuances than this but this is good enough to start

I don't even have some of those skills yet :p

I did read about cross-class skills but I'm not sure if they're absolutely mandatory that I get 'em. I am poring over what setup you just wrote about though and appreciate it.

You'll want to pick up Internal Release from Pugilist level 12. It's a skill I'm constantly using in both level 50 and level 60 Dragoon rotations.

Picking up Internal Release when I was going through pre-Heavensward content helped me move from someone other players were complaining about in dungeons to someone able to put out the dps people wanted.

You'll want to pick up Internal Release from Pugilist level 12. It's a skill I'm constantly using in both level 50 and level 60 Dragoon rotations.

Picking up Internal Release when I was going through pre-Heavensward content helped me move from someone other players were complaining about in dungeons to someone able to put out the dps people wanted.

Rock. Will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom