• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TeC6PUufsNFza.gif
Welcome to the most bloated job in the game. May your hotbars weep.

aceface

Absolutely cannot seem to understand how to do Dragoon efficiently. I've looked up countless guides, watched countless videos and I can't wrap my head around how I'm supposed to be doing it. So many abbreviations that I don't get (I get a few now!) but at this point it's become more aggravating than fun. And I keep getting called out about it during fights which only adds to the annoyance.

Are there any simpler classes that are easier to understand, or is it pretty much the same with everything? I don't want to stop playing, but I'm definitely about to throw in the towel.

Dps rotations make my head hurt too so I became a healer. To me it seems much more straightforward (as long as you don't let anyone die people will rarely complain, if you're contributing dps you're basically treated like god's gift to mmos in DF groups) and more fun. Maybe give that a try? I dabble with smn and while it's fun to blow up groups of mobs in dungeons I don't think I could do it at a high level.

Dps rotations make my head hurt too so I became a healer. To me it seems much more straightforward (as long as you don't let anyone die people will rarely complain, if you're contributing dps you're basically treated like god's gift to mmos in DF groups) and more fun. Maybe give that a try? I dabble with smn and while it's fun to blow up groups of mobs in dungeons I don't think I could do it at a high level.

I've considered this as well as Bard. I feel like if I could just get it all to click that it would be rewarding and even badass. I've just already put a lot of time into the class and I don't really want to start from scratch as it's such an extended ordeal. I'll stick with it a bit more and see what happens. I just want to be having fun; it's my first MMO tbh and I have had a lot of fun with it up until the post-game content where all of a sudden I've discovered I'm terrible at it haha.

I didn't think I was because I had been faring very well until this point.

That's the level 50 rotation, it's obsolete these days. Try this instead

I've seen this and it just confuses the hell out of me. But I'll keep it open and study it a bit more and try to wrap my head around it as I'm sippin coffee.

Another thing is that I don't have Blood of the Dragon yet, as well as the cross-class skills, so I can't utilize this setup to its fullest.

I don't even have some of those skills yet :p

I did read about cross-class skills but I'm not sure if they're absolutely mandatory that I get 'em. I am poring over what setup you just wrote about though and appreciate it.

When I'm doing the rotation, is there a certain rhythm to activating things? I have it set up currently to where I start with R2 and the face buttons, expire those, R2 and d-pad actions, L2/face, L2/pad. Maybe I'm activating certain skills at incorrect intervals.

It might help to understand why they tell you to do things in a particular order.

IIRC the really basic rotation if you're level fifty is;

1. Heavy Thrust (You use this first because it gives you +15% damage)

2. Impulse Drive - Armor reduction/Damage over time combo starter
3. Disembowel (This reduces piercing defense by 10% which is the damage type used by Dragoons/Bards/Machinists)
4. Chaos Thrust (This puts a damage over time effect on the enemy which will naturally be buffed by your Heavy Thrust (15%) and Disembowel (10%).

5. Phlebotomize - A damage over time effect that will be buffed by Heavy Thrust and Disembowel if you've followed so far.

6. True Thrust - Damage combo starter
7. Vorpal Thrust - More damage
8. Full Thrust - Even more damage

Basically you want to keep up these four effects (Heavy Thrust buff, Disembowel debuff, Chaos Thrust DoT, and Phlebotomize DoT) then use Full Thrust combo for straight damage until it's time to apply the buffs/debuffs again.

This combo to start will apply all of these. Once they are applied you can get in two Full Thrust combos unless you had to move away from your target for some reason.

There's the matter of oGCDs (off the global cooldown abilities) but I think learning this basic combo is a decent place to start.

I don't know anything about the level 60 Dragoon rotation though so someone else will have to help you with that.

Thanks! Yeah, I've actually been doing it similar to that. It was just a lot to learn right off the bat and some things are starting to make more sense. I know which buffs to keep up, the starting combo and the thrust combos. But then there's the stuff I don't have yet, figuring out how to map it all on the Dualshock and making sure I'm getting the timing right.

I feel like it'd be a very rewarding class to master. It's already fun to do even being shit at it.

I thought I read dot damage is not effected by specific damage debuffs like dragon kick or disembowl because the actual dot tick after the initial potency attack is simply physical, and not specifically any type. Is that still the case?

Thanks! Yeah, I've actually been doing it similar to that. It was just a lot to learn right off the bat and some things are starting to make more sense. I know which buffs to keep up, the starting combo and the thrust combos. But then there's the stuff I don't have yet, figuring out how to map it all on the Dualshock and making sure I'm getting the timing right.

I feel like it'd be a very rewarding class to master. It's already fun to do even being shit at it.

There are training dummies at the Wolves Den Pier if you want to practice. Their hp just refills as soon as it hits 0.

I thought I read dot damage is not effected by specific damage debuffs like dragon kick or disembowl because the actual dot tick after the initial potency attack is simply physical, and not specifically any type. Is that still the case?
The DoT per se isn't affected but the initial hit is and the DRG DoTs pack a punch.

There are training dummies at the Wolves Den Pier if you want to practice. Their hp just refills as soon as it hits 0.

So basically what you just wrote out, and then anything else available in-between (such as Dragonfire, Spineshatter, etc). I'll try it out. I had been pretty much doing that though there's some things here that I can alter my current to.

I'm a dragoon, it's a great class. If people in your party start complaining about how you play just tell them to mind their business lol. What level are you and what were their complaints?

True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust is a great bread and butter combo.
When approaching an enemy, I love to Jump -> Spineshatter Dive -> (then the blue attack that causes slow)
Then I like to put Phlebotomize on them and do Impulse Drive -> Disembowel. Meanwhile, I also like to make sure that Keen Flurry and Power Surge have been activated. If the enemy I'm fighting isn't doing a ton of damage to me then I use Blood for Blood.
Not trying to flame you, but this is far from optimal rotation at anything you'll be in a party for. I advise you new Dragoons to take the time to read the DRG guide on the official forums. If you take any sort of pride in your in game performance and don't want to fall into the "loldragoon" stereotype please take the time and give it a read.

Edit: also if you're on pc look into parsing yourself during parties, it will open your eyes to how well/bad you are performing compared to others. It really can be an eye opening experience when another dps is doing twice your damage or whatever. Great motivation to get better. If you give a fuck in the first place.

I heard Monk at least was harder lol. I think that's the thing, there are so many varying opinions and personal experiences that there's no one true way to go about stuff... which is good, I can appreciate complexity to an extent, but in this case I just get a thousand different answers to things I look up online. And it doesn't help that most guides assume that everyone knows what every little abbreviation and whatnot means. Like I didn't know what GCD was, I do now but I still don't quite understand it.

I thought I had a decent setup going until I fought Odin last night. I don't really want to DROP Dragoon though as I'm becoming more and more familiar with my actions and even the icons. I am sucking bad though.
Odin is a tough fight, I wouldn't take it personally. It's not required so I would skip it completely (and I still haven't killed him as a healer) until you're more comfortable and have a good party.

Stuart444

EDIT: This became way bigger than I planned, :(

I'm a level 60 Dragoon and I find it a lot of fun.

To keep things simple, just remember this:

- Keep Heavy Thrust up (every hit with this down is damage lost)
- Keep Chaos Thrust on the enemy
- Keep Phlebotomize on the enemy
- Use your thrust combo once the above is satisfied

Besides this, (excluding HW skills which I've left out) just weave your off GCD skills inbetween them. Once you figure out the timing for what you can fit between these GCD skills, (generally one or two oGCDs) it should all be a lot easier.

I would recommend getting Internal Release and Second Wind from Pugilist, Second Wind is useful if you get hit by something and the healer is too busy focusing on the tank.

To finish this, I'll get you what my opening usually is on bosses (might not be the best but it works for me and does a nice bit of damage):

Heavy Thrust - > Impulse Drive - > Blood for Blood + Internal Release - > Disembowel - > Leg Sweep (assuming I don't need to save my stun for later) - > Chaos Thrust - > Phlebotomize - > True Thrust - > Spineshatter Dive - > Vorpal Thrust - > Power Surge + Life Surge - > Full Thrust - > Dragonfire Dive

Usually by then, I need to refresh Heavy Thrust and then just keep the Chaos and Phlebotomize effects on the enemy.

It might look confusing but I'd say find a training dummy and then practice parts of it until you get the hang of it.

Also on trash pulls, I don't tend to care about doing my full combo and just use whatever (Chaos, Thrust Combos and Jumps etc). And with that, I'll leave it there as this is probably a bit much information as it is.

TL;DR Practice the GCD parts of the combo and then learn to weave your off GCDs into it and find what works for you. As long as you are pulling your weight, no one can complain and if they do screw them.

EDIT: This became way bigger than I planned, :(

Just knocked out the Pugilist skills, now I'm back to Dragoon. Really appreciate the post, it honestly doesn't seem that bad. I'll take it one thing at a time and try it on a dummy and compare it to the numbers I'm doing now. Thanks!

Stuart444

Just knocked out the Pugilist skills, now I'm back to Dragoon. Really appreciate the post, it honestly doesn't seem that bad. I'll take it one thing at a time and try it on a dummy and compare it to the numbers I'm doing now. Thanks!

No problem. Like I said it works for me. Just remember to prioritise mechanics over your DPS. To many don't and end up taking lots of dmg or dying because of it. (I am guilty of this sometimes as well I admit)

DRG is a fun job though. Just takes some time to get used to it when you have all your skills and stuff.

Dragoon was a lot of fun. Besides having to focus my mind on the rotation, I have to mind the positioning for certain skills (from the side or behind). There's also avoiding the aoes and looking at my dps meter. Playing a dragoon was quite exhausting. But then again, I haven't played any other DPS class/job especially for endgame activities.

I'm leveling as a GLD/PLD nowadays, and it's such a revelation for me. Every duty finder is instantaneous. However, tanking is generally boring compared to dps-ing as a dragoon.

However, tanking is generally boring compared to dps-ing as a dragoon.

Especially since you picked GLD/PLD of the three. It's why I went the WAR route.

Also, to the user worrying about DRG, as that's my main job, I highly recommend studying the rotation (the image by our very own Eve on the previous page is a good, concise diagram) and go practicing on a dummy in game. As mentioned, work on your GCD first, then when you have that comfortably memorized, start weaving in those buffs in to the rotation. It's how I did it and if you keep at it enough it'll become second nature.

No problem. Like I said it works for me. Just remember to prioritise mechanics over your DPS. To many don't and end up taking lots of dmg or dying because of it. (I am guilty of this sometimes as well I admit)

I just ran through a few rounds with the dummy, my full thrust was doing 1200+, before it was around 1050 I think? So an improvement which I'll take for now. It also seemed like I was able to do actions more quickly rather than waiting as much, so there's that.

A lot of Dragoons here. I too am a DRG main. I will say that the most useful tip for any new Dragoon is to know your jumps. Know which ones move you and which keep you in place. Nothing kills Dragoons more than a poorly timed jump. Pretty sure that's why Dragoons have such a bad reputation.

Also use elusive jump, that is the ultimate "Oh shit" reaction move that has saved me countless times.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I wonder if you guys could help at all...I bought the complete collection on ps4 on the 6th using my wallet top up I've been saving.

Now i wanted to download it but psn store is saying I need to purchase the game I already bought.

I checked to restore liscenses as usually it's still not coming up even though my transaction history says I purchased the game.

Anyone had this before on ps4 version?
So the icon on your game library is just linking you back to the store to purchase the game? If it's on your transaction history it should be available from the library. Weird.

Maybe try downloading the trial version and restoring licenses afterwards.

Ogawa-san

Got my monk to 52, I think I finally found a main dps job. I thought the positionals would get old but they're actually half the fun.

The downside of spending so much time on a monk is that it made me deathly aware of them when tanking. Just moving out of AoE makes me feel bad.

IvorB

I'm a dragoon, it's a great class. If people in your party start complaining about how you play just tell them to mind their business lol. What level are you and what were their complaints?

True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust is a great bread and butter combo.
When approaching an enemy, I love to Jump -> Spineshatter Dive -> (then the blue attack that causes slow)
Then I like to put Phlebotomize on them and do Impulse Drive -> Disembowel. Meanwhile, I also like to make sure that Keen Flurry and Power Surge have been activated. If the enemy I'm fighting isn't doing a ton of damage to me then I use Blood for Blood.

I see people jumping towards an enemy and it always seems a waste to me since you will have no buffs (not even Heavy Thrust) on the jumps. I think it might be better to save your initial jumps until you've had a chance to get set up properly.

I've considered this as well as Bard. I feel like if I could just get it all to click that it would be rewarding and even badass. I've just already put a lot of time into the class and I don't really want to start from scratch as it's such an extended ordeal. I'll stick with it a bit more and see what happens. I just want to be having fun; it's my first MMO tbh and I have had a lot of fun with it up until the post-game content where all of a sudden I've discovered I'm terrible at it haha.

I didn't think I was because I had been faring very well until this point.

I've seen this and it just confuses the hell out of me. But I'll keep it open and study it a bit more and try to wrap my head around it as I'm sippin coffee.

Another thing is that I don't have Blood of the Dragon yet, as well as the cross-class skills, so I can't utilize this setup to its fullest.

Dragoon gets really complex with Blood of the Dragon. Give bard a spin if you are struggling as it's pretty straightforward.

Shahed

Looking at guides before you learn everything might get overwhelming. The way to look at this is to use a priority system. Apply your buffs, your debuffs and any DoT's on the enemy. When and if those are sufficiently maintained, then do your most powerful attack. This applies to pretty much every role not just Dragoon.

For example Heavy Thrust is your damage buff. Use that first and use it again as it is about to run out. Try not to let it drop off

Next is your debuff which is Disembowel for 10% less piercing resistance. So it's Impulse Drive > Disembowel > Chaos Thrust combo.

Now time for you Damage over time effects. Conveniently you already used Chaos Thrust as part of the debuff. So just use Phlebotomize.

Now you've placed your buff, debuff and DoT's. Not do your most damaging attacks like the True > Vorpal > Full Thrust combo.

You carry this on until the above buff, debuff, DoT effects need refreshing. At your level you can use one Chaos Thrust combo for every 2 Full Thrust combos. With Heavy Thrust and Phlebotomize woven in between as necessary.

As for the extra off GCD abilities, generally use them as they are available, but try and time that for while Blood for Blood is active for more damage. Also use Life Surge before Full Thrust for a guaranteed Critical on your most powerful attack.

If you can maintain the above you'll generally be more powerful (assuming equal gear) then the majority of players. The hard part comes with maintaining all those effects when needing to deal with mechanics or to dodge something. That's where the priority system comes in. If you are forced out of your normal order, use the most important moves first such as Heavy Thrust. If you are going to have to move away from an enemy or boss for a while, use something like Phlebotomize early so it can carry on doing damage while you do something else. Also I k ow someone mentioned it earlier, but the blue slow attack Feint? Except for very very rare situational uses, it's not something you should ever bother with.

I see people jumping towards an enemy and it always seems a waste to me since you will have no buffs (not even Heavy Thrust) on the jumps. I think it might be better to save your initial jumps until you've had a chance to get set up properly.

I pretty much only jump to take advantage of the movement options - using Jump to get in damage when a boss is surrounded by an AoE circle or using Spineshatter Dive to quickly move to a boss who has moved a long distance away.

IvorB

I pretty much only jump to take advantage of the movement options - using Jump to get in damage when a boss is surrounded by an AoE circle or using Spineshatter Dive to quickly move to a boss who has moved a long distance away.

They are high potency attacks though and I think some have buffs that affect them specifically. I'm not really an expert DRG but I think trying to use them whenever they are up is the way to go.

They are high potency attacks though and I think some have buffs that affect them specifically. I'm not really an expert DRG but I think trying to use them whenever they are up is the way to go.
Not really. It highly depends on the fight. More often than not you want to hold on to certain OGCDs for a multitude of reasons, specially movement ones.

IvorB

Not really. It highly depends on the fight. More often than not you want to hold on to certain OGCDs for a multitude of reasons, specially movement ones.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I'm convinced about that to be honest. The longer you sit on them, the fewer of them you will have.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hmmm... I'm not sure I'm convinced about that to be honest. The longer you sit on them, the fewer of them you will have.

Sometimes minimizing downtime is worth more than getting one extra spineshatter in. Depends on the fight of course. In Refurbisher you wouldn't hold anything back because the room is five steps by five steps big, but in Alexander Prime you may wanna try and get from your end of the room to the boss as fast as possible and keep GCDs rolling.

/ac "Shukuchi" <t>
{Please check it}

Having more casts of them won't help you if you use Spineshatter on something that shouldn't be stunned or if you need to AoE and Dragonfire is on CD or if you need to do a mechanic on the other side of the arena and lose uptime/BoTD because you had no jumps avaiable or if you need to burst something down by yourself but you can't because you just used your jumps 10 seconds ago, and so on.

As a rule yeah, you want to use them whenever they're up but you need to adapt your casts and CD timings to the situations of a fight.

Got my monk to 52, I think I finally found a main dps job. I thought the positionals would get old but they're actually half the fun.

The downside of spending so much time on a monk is that it made me deathly aware of them when tanking. Just moving out of AoE makes me feel bad.

Well MNKs can always reposition themselves if the enemy moves, or adjust our moveset accordingly, it's the beauty of MNK that it has a flow that can adapt to changes.

Just don't be that tank who moves the enemy around all over the place.

IvorB

Sometimes minimizing downtime is worth more than getting one extra spineshatter in. Depends on the fight of course. In Refurbisher you wouldn't hold anything back because the room is five steps by five steps big, but in Alexander Prime you may wanna try and get from your end of the room to the boss as fast as possible and keep GCDs rolling.

/ac "Shukuchi" <t>
{Please check it}

Having more casts of them won't help you if you use Spineshatter on something that shouldn't be stunned or if you need to AoE and Dragonfire is on CD or if you need to do a mechanic on the other side of the arena and lose uptime/BoTD because you had no jumps avaiable or if you need to burst something down by yourself but you can't because you just used your jumps 10 seconds ago, and so on.

As a rule yeah, you want to use them whenever they're up but you need to adapt your casts and CD timings to the situations of a fight.

Okay fair enough. I guess if you know what's coming you would plan things accordingly. I was picturing someone just sitting on their jumps in case they need to move at some point.

Shahed

Okay fair enough. I guess if you know what's coming you would plan things accordingly. I was picturing someone just sitting on their jumps in case they need to move at some point.
Yeah you wouldn't just sit on your jumps. Generally use them as they come unless Blood for Blood is almost up. But gap closers can be incredibly useful to minimise downtime. Sure you might use a Spineshatter, Dragonfire or Shoulder Tackle without buffs, but if it means not wasting a GCD or two moving to the boss it's worth it.

See, this is fucking straightforward. It's unbelievable how hard it is to find something this simplified.

HT TTR GCD ----> VT TT PH ID TTT FOTR ROTK ROTS AOTC GDC E3 2011

I took some notes (and made a decoder ring) from Dervy's rotation that others have posted. You could always try this a thousand times against a training dummy until you feel comfortable with it:

H -> [BL+BFB] -> ID -> [DRAC-POT] -> DI -> [IR + BOTD] -> CT -> [PS+ LEGS] -> 4TH -> [GK] -> P -> [JUMP] -> TT -> [DFD] -> VP -> [LIFES] -> FT -> [SPD] -> 4TH -> Repeat

The opener in that isn't really the most "Optimal". Again, it was created in mind for players to learn how to Geirskogul and BotD.
If you wanted a proper opener, you'd want this:
H -> [BL+BFB] -> ID -> [IR+BOTD] -> DI -> [DRAC-POT] -> CT -> [PS+ LEGS] -> 4TH -> [JUMP] -> P -> [SSD] -> TT -> [DFD] -> VP -> [LIFES + GK] -> FT -> 4TH -> Repeat

H = Heavy Thrust
BL = Battle Litany
BFB = Blood for Blood
ID = Impulse Drive
DRAC-POT = Draconian Potion of Strength
DI = Disembowel
IR = Internal Release
BOTD = Blood of the Dragon
CT = Chaos Thrust
PS = Power Surge
LEGS = Leg Sweep
4TH = 4th Tier Combo (Fang and Claw or Wheeling Thurst depnending on which one is active)
GK = Geirskogul
P = Phlebotomize
JUMP = Jump
TT=True Thrust
DFD=Dragonfire Dive
VP=Vorpal Thrust
LIFES=Life Surge
FT=Full Thrust
SPD=Spineshatter Dive

Dungeons are very worth it. Once you get The Great Gubal Library unlocked you'll level 59 to 60 quick as hell because that place gives out a ton of exp.

Meaning current level dungeons aren't worth it? Also should I spam a specific section of palace or go until the end every time?

It's around 10% of a level for the first 10 floors, and it's almost impossible to screw up palace, unlike dungeons, with their scary mechanics and skill requirement. Like using tab to change your target in order to keep hate as a tank! Or using aetherflow as a Summoner so you can Bane or Fester targets!

It's ALMOST five key presses, and that's just too much to ask.

Kaname

It's around 10% of a level for the first 10 floors, and it's almost impossible to screw up palace, unlike dungeons, with their scary mechanics and skill requirement. Like using tab to change your target in order to keep hate as a tank! Or using aetherflow as a Summoner so you can Bane or Fester targets!

It's ALMOST five key presses, and that's just too much to ask.

Yeah I guess, plus seems like queues are way faster for palace anyway. Been sitting here for 15 minutes with no pop for Vault.

Ogawa-san

PotD leveling doubles as being pretty profitable. I've been using it extensively to bring my 3 remaning jobs to 60 (all dps, all sub 30 before I started), after 200 hoards found I'm almost not poor anymore. Four hairstyles, glamour that people pay (or paid, the market is gone already) more than they should, a bunch of V materias and then the potsherds you can trade for some more, all while leveling and getting some free 235 weapons.

41-50 still makes me nervous, though. At launch it was about people possibly wiping the group on purpose at 49, now it's about people just trying to get it done asap and screwing it up. Just this week I had to repeat it three times before a kill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom