• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

For some reason I keep thinking weaponless because of the teaser trailer, but monk-like dude was also weaponless so I guess it doesn't mean anything.
They need to pretend the monk weapons don't exist in the CG.

CFftc7p.jpg

Ogawa-san

After too many hours inside PotD, doing those stupid moogles' chores and afkrafting over 500 collectables...

1dmDoNz.png

...and I still can't pick a main dps job.

I should just go bard.

wamberz1

Beat the game, wooooo.

Really enjoyed the last few encounters, though the pressure to skip the cutscenes was annoying so I just watched them in my room afterwards. Last few bosses were really cool.

This might be one of the few games that says "but the adventure had only just begun!" and actually means it. I tele'd over to Mor Dhona afterword and CHRIST that's a lot of blue quests.

on to heavensward I guess, I really wanna try out DRK and MCH

Teknoman

What ever happened to the "Enforcer" job or whatever the older ones were on that list ages ago? I think it was right before Dalamud crashing, or is that all out the window now? I'd think not, since back then I think there were also story board sequences that showed some dragons attacking Ishgard.

rubius01

What ever happened to the "Enforcer" job or whatever the older ones were on that list ages ago? I think it was right before Dalamud crashing, or is that all out the window now? I'd think not, since back then I think there were also story board sequences that showed some dragons attacking Ishgard.

Its probably in the same place as the gunner job based in limsa

Guess Who

Banned

There were quite a few unused classes in the 1.x files that never turned up. Arcanist eventually released, Bard became an Archer job, and Musketeer probably mutated into Machinist, but none of the others have been released or announced, and most of the new classes we've gotten (ROG/NIN, DRK, AST, probably RDM) weren't in the 1.x files.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Beat the game, wooooo.

Really enjoyed the last few encounters, though the pressure to skip the cutscenes was annoying so I just watched them in my room afterwards. Last few bosses were really cool.

This might be one of the few games that says "but the adventure had only just begun!" and actually means it. I tele'd over to Mor Dhona afterword and CHRIST that's a lot of blue quests.

Congrats!

Amirnol

Beat the game, wooooo.

I started playing recently after finishing 2.0 when the game first came out, and man, I am sorry to tell you that you have literally 40 hours of content until Heavensward. That's just the story quest, nothing else. It's really a bummer and I hope they rethink that approach for the next expansion. There are some awesome fights in there and a couple new dungeons that are great, but the amount of nonsense fetch quest crap in between is staggering. I just want to encourage you to get through it because Heavensward is legitimately GREAT, it's so worth it.

On that note, I beat 3.0 last night and really loved this expansion overall. The new environments are great and feel so Final Fantasy. The music is top notch, the story so much better than Realm Reborn, and the last boss in particular was so amazing!

I also can't believe how much content there is after finishing the Heavensward quest. About how much more content (in terms of hours played) do I have left? I won't be grinding any raids, just experiencing the story and all dungeons/primals at least beaten once.

Moaradin

Doing the 2.0 patch stuff before heavensward can be a slog, since there was a lot of busywork back then. They didn't find their groove until around 2.4-2.5

Though I don't know how they'll do it this time. The Heavensward post game story has been just as good, if not better than the expansion stuff. It would be a real shame if you missed any of it going into the next expansion.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I started playing recently after finishing 2.0 when the game first came out, and man, I am sorry to tell you that you have literally 40 hours of content until Heavensward. That's just the story quest, nothing else. It's really a bummer and I hope they rethink that approach for the next expansion. There are some awesome fights in there and a couple new dungeons that are great, but the amount of nonsense fetch quest crap in between is staggering. I just want to encourage you to get through it because Heavensward is legitimately GREAT, it's so worth it.

On that note, I beat 3.0 last night and really loved this expansion overall. The new environments are great and feel so Final Fantasy. The music is top notch, the story so much better than Realm Reborn, and the last boss in particular was so amazing!

I also can't believe how much content there is after finishing the Heavensward quest. About how much more content (in terms of hours played) do I have left? I won't be grinding any raids, just experiencing the story and all dungeons/primals at least beaten once.
There's currently about 36 post HW msq (ARR had 100), 2 trials outside MSQ, 8 dungeons, 2 24 man raids, and 12 8 man raids.

After too many hours inside PotD, doing those stupid moogles' chores and afkrafting over 500 collectables...

1dmDoNz.png

...and I still can't pick a main dps job.

I should just go bard.

You have a worse case of altitis than me.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Stormblood is because I get to take one job to 70 and focus on that for a long while hopefully instead of being stuck deciding which max level job I have that I should play.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So about GC Squadrons

Can you fish for specific NPCs? Like for example if I want the Miqo'te GLA, I do DoH challenge log and hope RNG rolls her for me? Or are there some extra conditions?
Are there any specific race/class compositions you should be aiming for or are bonuses completely random?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So about GC Squadrons

Can you fish for specific NPCs? Like for example if I want the Miqo'te GLA, I do DoH challenge log and hope RNG rolls her for me? Or are there some extra conditions?
Are there any specific race/class compositions you should be aiming for or are bonuses completely random?
Yeah you can try fishing for them once you know where they come from. The pool of recruits is pretty big though and you can get the same recruit application right after dismissing it so it might just be better to settle for any miqote and then use the defense book to respec it. If you fish though, pop the buff that increases the chance of getting a recruit to minimize the chance of not getting anybody.

Affinities and chemistry are random, but since you can't respec race I'd suggest you try to get at least 1 recruit from each race. It's also a good idea to not have multiples of the same class so you have more options when trying to meet the min reqs for a mission. Sometimes you're short by a few points and that's when having a diverse squad helps since there's slight variances between classes in the same role (gladiator has slightly more tactical than marauder, while marauder has slightly more physical to compensate for his lower tactical).

Squishy3

qhon i didn't stand in lava are you proud

still didn't clear because of people not getting in the mini puddle for the second double scrapline

okay i did stand in it once by accident but not during double acid rain and i didn't die

You have a worse case of altitis than me.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to Stormblood is because I get to take one job to 70 and focus on that for a long while hopefully instead of being stuck deciding which max level job I have that I should play.

It will last maybe 6 months before everything is 70.

I'm working on getting everything to 60 now, too.

Holy shit, Paladin is SUFFERING. Every time I play it, I just want to fall asleep. But I must get to 60.

Then loldrg, lolbrd, lolwhm, SMN/SCH, MCH, AST.

Then crafting forever. Forever.

Ken

qhon i didn't stand in lava are you proud

still didn't clear because of people not getting in the mini puddle for the second double scrapline

okay i did stand in it once by accident but not during double acid rain and i didn't die

ur bad

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Cleared a12 again and got enough gears for the gloves. Going to do some more alexander runs to see if I can get the jewelery next week. My fc's first run was hell but our second run went better.

Doing the 2.0 patch stuff before heavensward can be a slog, since there was a lot of busywork back then. They didn't find their groove until around 2.4-2.5

Though I don't know how they'll do it this time. The Heavensward post game story has been just as good, if not better than the expansion stuff. It would be a real shame if you missed any of it going into the next expansion.

Yeah, those first couple patches are a bit of a pain but at least the story starts to pick up again after a while. I'd suggest mixing it in with the *large* number of new dungeons you just unlocked that you'll want anyway to get 50 roulette.

No idea how they'll approach it for HW but at least all the patch content in 3.x has been really solid story-wise. Hell, you basically need through to 3.3 to actually finish the HW plot so wouldn't be surprised if they reject people to do that, and then it rolls on towards Stormblood. It's a really tricky situation and they're sure to piss some folks off whatever they do (always the case in an MMO I guess). But I can't really see an alternative to making people play earlier content that doesn't leave them hopelessly confused regarding the game, the story and how to play their class. Maybe fix some of the 2.X stuff to streamline entry to HW at least.

I tried Sophia Ex for the first time tonight and we got her down to ~40%. There's so much going on in that fight but it's a lot of fun.

All this new content is heavy on healers and it's stressing me out!

Ogawa-san

Totally LTTP, but I finally found a Sophia practice party and man it's fun. I should had joined the zeitgeist, everyone's farming by now.

Gonna try and see if raid finder really works for practice but without callouts over voice chat it's probably going to be pure chaos.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yeah you can try fishing for them once you know where they come from. The pool of recruits is pretty big though and you can get the same recruit application right after dismissing it so it might just be better to settle for any miqote and then use the defense book to respec it. If you fish though, pop the buff that increases the chance of getting a recruit to minimize the chance of not getting anybody.

Affinities and chemistry are random, but since you can't respec race I'd suggest you try to get at least 1 recruit from each race. It's also a good idea to not have multiples of the same class so you have more options when trying to meet the min reqs for a mission. Sometimes you're short by a few points and that's when having a diverse squad helps since there's slight variances between classes in the same role (gladiator has slightly more tactical than marauder, while marauder has slightly more physical to compensate for his lower tactical).

Gorgeous. I wanna build team Au Ra and a Diversity Squad.
Kumokiri already joined the cause.

EDIT: WT rewards this week... lmao

Thorgal

POTD dropped the hairstyle today . think i am gonna rock this for a while .

ffxiv_25102016_162547uvqry.jpg

ffxiv_25102016_163534ydqbs.jpg

and lastly , a bit of fun with the Gpose options .

ffxiv_25102016_163239crpyj.jpg

Check your emails if you signed up for the waiting list for the Encyclopedia Eorzea. I just got an email with an unique link to purchase it. Just got my order in! Couldn't add any additional items to the order though.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for signing up for the ENCYCLOPAEDIA EORZEA - THE WORLD OF FINAL FANTASY XIV waiting list.
We’re pleased to let you know that we will begin accepting orders for the second printing of the book from users who have signed up for the waiting list!
Due to signing up to be notified for the next shipment, you will have the chance to make a purchase from the available units in the second printing batch. Please understand that this email does not guarantee that you will be able to purchase a book from the second printing quantity.
This will be limited to the users on the wait list for 48 HOURS starting on Tuesday, October 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM PDT. After that time, the remaining quantity will be available for purchase from the website until gone. Users will be able to purchase one book per order. After the second printing allotment has run out, sales will cease once more.
Please note that the second printing of the ENCYCLOPAEDIA EORZEA is currently being manufactured and is scheduled to begin shipping at the end of November.

Jeels

Check your emails if you signed up for the waiting list for the Encyclopedia Eorzea. I just got an email with an unique link to purchase it. Just got my order in! Couldn't add any additional items to the order though.

Was just about to post it! Link was super convenient since it adds it to your cart and everything haha. Bummer about late November shipping though. That probably means I won't have it until December.

And they still don't have those red fan fest/jp WAR shirts up yet. :( I tried to use one of those sites that let you buy something off jp stores and ship it to you, but its even sold out on the JP SE store.

The lorebook remains incredible...answers a few queries and I'm only like 25 pages in.

Also thank you for tanking tips the other day! I haven't done much (been busy) but doing even Satasha was quite fun, esp when the other dps realized I was a first timer Tank. I try to pull what I feel both comfortable with and that the team/healer can cope with. If that means it takes a little longer I don't mind >_>

Frumix

Suffering From Success
A10S and A11S are ridiculous. You think you figured your cooldown timing then next time you come in the group does 10% more DPS than before, crucial mechanics just don't occur and now timing is all wrong again.

Omni

A10S and A11S are ridiculous. You think you figured your cooldown timing then next time you come in the group does 10% more DPS than before, crucial mechanics just don't occur and now timing is all wrong again.
Same thing in Sophia when I was learning. Made it so much harder to figure out what was next when you're skipping mechanics left and right. Frustrating xD

On the topic of A11s, we got to 50 something percent yesterday. Our second or third time in there. So solid progress! Should be able to clear maybe in a week or two. Bit longer than I would have hoped buuuut

Bouniter

Couldn't sleep so thought I would spend some time reading up on Ninja rotations and openers...

This was a bad idea and now my head hurts.

On the bright side the skills I currently have available I was pretty much using in the correct way (only lvl 44), tough with the latency of playing on a American server from the UK it looks like I may have to consider Shuriken over Raiton.

Qvoth

a question about the last phase pillars of a11s
if you get the yellow marker aoes, is it alright for them to hit just the outer "shield" of the pillars if they don't reach the "bulbs" in the middle?

a question about the last phase pillars of a11s
if you get the yellow marker aoes, is it alright for them to hit just the outer "shield" of the pillars if they don't reach the "bulbs" in the middle?
Haven't gotten that far in the fight yet but pretty sure you can't hit the energy fields.

garath

I'm 5 days into the trial and have both pugilist and rogue to 16. Looks like I'm about out of trial content. Have to make a decision to buy or not.

Been enjoying it enough as a solo game I think I may just do it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like greenman gaming has it on sale for $27 anymore. Only choice is to order a physical disk from Amazon for $27. For some reason all the digital downloads of the bundle are $60 when the boxed is $27. It's mind boggling. Anything I'm missing?

Qvoth

keep in mind you're still very far away from catching up to the latest content
you'll very often be stuck waiting for dungeon queues for quite a long while, especially contents that nobody does anymore
just keep that in mind before deciding on buying the game

Bouniter

I'm 5 days into the trial and have both pugilist and rogue to 16. Looks like I'm about out of trial content. Have to make a decision to buy or not.

Been enjoying it enough as a solo game I think I may just do it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like greenman gaming has it on sale for $27 anymore. Only choice is to order a physical disk from Amazon for $27. For some reason all the digital downloads of the bundle are $60 when the boxed is $27. It's mind boggling. Anything I'm missing?

Huh? I have some good news for you the trial now lets you go all the way up to level 35 so you should still have plenty of content left.

Having not long finished the free trial myself I would highly recommended taking the rogue all the way to 35 if you are enjoying the class, as it has by far the best and most engaging story of all the guild quests.

Plenty of Main line story quests to do as you can do those all the way up to level 35 as well.

After that if you still have time left give a tank and a healer class a go they are also a lot of fun.

Edit: Also if you do decide to go for it and would like a reference code for some bonus items please let me know.

dramatis

You know, it's a bit strange they didn't have a crossover event with World of Final Fantasy. I guess devs are too busy working on Stormblood?

rubius01

You know, it's a bit strange they didn't have a crossover event with World of Final Fantasy. I guess devs are too busy working on Stormblood?

I'm not surprised that they didn't do anything for World of Final Fantasy. To me, for the masses, SE didn't really market it as much. They'll do something for FFXV for sure though.

plus we all know that crossover budget went to developing the piassa house that we are going to get

dramatis

I'm not surprised that they didn't do anything for World of Final Fantasy. To me, for the masses, SE didn't really market it as much. They'll do something for FFXV for sure though.

plus we all know that crossover budget went to developing the piassa house that we are going to get
You remember what I said in game, right?

They should turn the FF15 car into a cardboard car costume like this.

All the lalas would wear it.

garath

Huh? I have some good news for you the trial now lets you go all the way up to level 35 so you should still have plenty of content left.

Having not long finished the free trial myself I would highly recommended taking the rogue all the way to 35 if you are enjoying the class, as it has by far the best and most engaging story of all the guild quests.

Plenty of Main line story quests to do as you can do those all the way up to level 35 as well.

After that if you still have time left give a tank and a healer class a go they are also a lot of fun.

Edit: Also if you do decide to go for it and would like a reference code for some bonus items please let me know.

Ah thanks!!

The official FAQ still seems to say level 20. Or at least I think I was looking at the official FAQ. Still plenty of restrictions around grouping and market use, etc. I went ahead and bought the game from Amazon. Should get here in a day or two.

Basically changing class is as easy as accepting a new job right? Or best to create a new char?

For being so kind answering a newbies questions I'm more than happy to use a ref code if it lets me plug it in during the account upgrade. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom