• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Adventures in newbie land. I convinced my friend to give the trial a shot so I could have someone to play with and he ended up liking it too. So after upgrading to real accounts, yesterday was the first time we got together. We just happened to both be on the tam Tara deepcraft dungeon point of the main quest.

Unfortunately duty finder was failing us. I have no idea how to read that thing. We waited for like 10 min until a couple of high level guys saw us and took pity. They joined and we managed to do the dungeon.

I suspect the lower level duty finders are going to be a little rough? We literally started new jobs immediately after. Instead of two dps, I went tank with maurader and he is going healer. I suspect even if someone was looking in duty finder at such a low level, the chances of finding a tank and healer to match our double dps was slim. Maybe we'll have a better shot as tank and healer.

Later I went on in the main quest to find the very next step is another instanced dungeon -_-

I didn't even bother loading up duty finder as I didn't know how long the dungeon is. I'll tackle it tonight.

If you guys are rolling a tank and healer, you should have near instant queues (or at least much shorter ones) for instances in the Duty Finder. Double DPS is indeed a hard life in the Duty Finder.

Heartfyre

Adventures in newbie land. I convinced my friend to give the trial a shot so I could have someone to play with and he ended up liking it too. So after upgrading to real accounts, yesterday was the first time we got together. We just happened to both be on the tam Tara deepcraft dungeon point of the main quest.

Unfortunately duty finder was failing us. I have no idea how to read that thing. We waited for like 10 min until a couple of high level guys saw us and took pity. They joined and we managed to do the dungeon.

I suspect the lower level duty finders are going to be a little rough? We literally started new jobs immediately after. Instead of two dps, I went tank with maurader and he is going healer. I suspect even if someone was looking in duty finder at such a low level, the chances of finding a tank and healer to match our double dps was slim. Maybe we'll have a better shot as tank and healer.

Later I went on in the main quest to find the very next step is another instanced dungeon -_-

I didn't even bother loading up duty finder as I didn't know how long the dungeon is. I'll tackle it tonight.

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but I have to ask: are you certain you're using the Duty Finder and not the Party Finder? Certain aspects of your post make me think you're using the latter; namely, you say that "a couple of high-level guys saw us and took pity". That shouldn't happen in the Duty Finder, as other players are matched together to form parties automatically.

Just to be absolutely sure, this is the Duty Finder:

DutyFinder_zps24868b41.jpg~original

And this is the Party Finder:

It can definitely take more than 10 minutes if you're running the Duty Finder as a DPS, though. It's a matter of supply-and-demand of tanks and healers -- fewer of those classes run the Levelling Roulette, where players are drawn from for <Level 50 dungeons and instances. I'd still recommend you endure the wait as DPS classes, though, since it's the best way to see the game for the first time. The battle mechanics for dealing with certain bosses become quite complicated for tanks and, to a certain extent, healers that it's best to see how other players do their roles from the relatively static role requirements of a DPS for the initial run. Totally up to your preferences, of course, but you'll inevitably run into some players that will be impatient and irate if you're not commanding the battle and demonstrating your knowledge of it from the outset. I've personally found it very satisfying to tank while carrying the experience of the game with me, but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much the first time. In a certain sense, the narrative sort of makes more sense? when you're a DPS. Certainly feels more appropriate to take on enemies single-handedly outside of groups, which you still do with some frequency.

Village

I can finally take pictures that look halfway decent!

YhhvWvd.jpg

Anywho, I started the anima grind I guess? Maybe its the step afterward to get that higher level weapon, the DRK one is called Blade of tyrant or something, but... this doesn't seem that hard? It just seems like.. playing the game, and buying the materials, and then just trading them into the lady. I feel like I dreaded this moment for so long, and put this off, and finally decided, "fuck it I want a nothung" but... This seems.... a lot less bad that I feel like its been put to me.

Heartfyre

YhhvWvd.jpg

Anywho, I started the anima grind I guess? Maybe its the step afterward to get that higher level weapon, the DRK one is called Blade of tyrant or something, but... this doesn't seem that hard? It just seems like.. playing the game, and buying the materials, and then just trading them into the lady. I feel like I dreaded this moment for so long, and put this off, and finally decided, "fuck it I want a nothung" but... This seems.... a lot less bad that I feel like its been put to me.

Give it time.

But really, you're right. It's not challenging, but merely a grind, and that's the point. If you want the best weapons, you're charging into Creator Savage. If you want to run A12N for seven weeks, you get a nice upgrade. If you want to take on Sophia Extreme ten times, enjoy the new weapon.

But there are players who don't want to run the high-end stuff, preferring to gather Scripture and play normal level dungeons. The anima is a way for those players to get a high-end weapon upgrade that continues to be relevant for content in the next patch. It's just another way to upgrade a character to suit a different playstyle.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

YhhvWvd.jpg

It's never hard, just a huge chore to complete. Old steps are nerfed in subsequent patches though so what you're running through is probably a bit more lenient than what it was when it was new. The closer you get to the current step, the more tedious the grind becomes. Right now the current step requires something like 20,000 lore tomes to complete and it'll probably stay the same tomorrow when the new step gets added.

Its not hard because its nerfed and it only doesn't look like a grind if you're not trying to get the weapon while its relevant.

Village

It's never hard, just a huge chore to complete. Old steps are nerfed in subsequent patches though so what you're running through is probably a bit more lenient than what it was when it was new. The closer you get to the current step, the more tedious the grind becomes. Right now the current step requires something like 20,000 lore tomes to complete and it'll probably stay the same tomorrow when the new step gets added.

Eh I dunno, I like... playing the game so its like.

" how do you buy these items"

" Play the game"

"....aight"

Its not hard because its nerfed and it only doesn't look like a grind if you're not trying to get the weapon while its relevant.

I feel like there is some bitterness behind this post.

garath

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but I have to ask: are you certain you're using the Duty Finder and not the Party Finder? Certain aspects of your post make me think you're using the latter; namely, you say that "a couple of high-level guys saw us and took pity". That shouldn't happen in the Duty Finder, as other players are matched together to form parties automatically.

Just to be absolutely sure, this is the Duty Finder:

And this is the Party Finder:

It can definitely take more than 10 minutes if you're running the Duty Finder as a DPS, though. It's a matter of supply-and-demand of tanks and healers -- fewer of those classes run the Levelling Roulette, where players are drawn from for <Level 50 dungeons and instances. I'd still recommend you endure the wait as DPS classes, though, since it's the best way to see the game for the first time. The battle mechanics for dealing with certain bosses become quite complicated for tanks and, to a certain extent, healers that it's best to see how other players do their roles from the relatively static role requirements of a DPS for the initial run. Totally up to your preferences, of course, but you'll inevitably run into some players that will be impatient and irate if you're not commanding the battle and demonstrating your knowledge of it from the outset. I've personally found it very satisfying to tank while carrying the experience of the game with me, but I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much the first time. In a certain sense, the narrative sort of makes more sense? when you're a DPS. Certainly feels more appropriate to take on enemies single-handedly outside of groups, which you still do with some frequency.

It's a good question. The high level players in question were outside the dungeon with us for some reason. I think one of them said he had to get a part for a spear. So they saw us standing around for 10min doing nothing and asked.

I think solo as a single dps I can show some patience but entering duty finder as two dps for these lower level things will be a challenge. I like tanking anyways. I've played that role in older games (much older lol). But duly noted on the impatient people. I can absolutely see that happening.

iammeiam

Eh I dunno, I like... playing the game so its like.

" how do you buy these items"

" Play the game"

"....aight"

I feel like there is some bitterness behind this post.

Relic is at this point multiple years of "grind your face off with X for iLevel"; the i210 step in Heavensward was particularly egregious in the amount of grind/old content you had to put out for a relatively minimal upgrade (for some jobs, it was still a downgrade from the Thordan weapon.) This was particularly bad since it hit at a time where people were sort of really eager for something new, and the relic was just "go do old stuff for a really large amount of time".

I guess the best way to put it is that relic quest line is basically barely-disguised filler with weapon iLevel as a carrot; the more times you've already done the things it's asking you to go do, the more eyeroll-inducing it is when they call the relic "new content" and then it just ends up being "go run ARR content a bunch". It's one of the most treadmill-y parts of the game, and after a few years it can kind of lose its shine.

So it's popular with some people, unpopular with some people, really unpopular with some people. As of 3.4, weapon availability is probably at one of the best balance points in the game's history (250 crafted, 255 Sophia, 260 from A10S or 7 A12N clears, 270/275 from raid, and you could basically take anyone with an HQ crafted weapon into anything in the game) so it's kind of an everyone wins situation.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
You know, I made some friends listen to Seph's Theme from ff14 who have never heard it before and they told me it's Powerman 5000. Coincidence? I think not.
There's playing the game and then there's grinding your heart out for a month to raise a weapon's ilvl by 10. You'd feel bitter too.
Not gonna lie, this is exactly how I felt when I realized how mundane working on anima weapons were.

Sorian

Banned
There's playing the game and then there's grinding your heart out for a month to raise a weapon's ilvl by 10. You'd feel bitter too.

If you grind your heart out for a month then you suck at efficiency. Nothing in either relic step has taken more than a week.

IvorB

It's a good question. The high level players in question were outside the dungeon with us for some reason. I think one of them said he had to get a part for a spear. So they saw us standing around for 10min doing nothing and asked.

I think solo as a single dps I can show some patience but entering duty finder as two dps for these lower level things will be a challenge. I like tanking anyways. I've played that role in older games (much older lol). But duly noted on the impatient people. I can absolutely see that happening.

You do know you don't have to wait by the dungeon for your time to come up right? You can go and do other things in the meantime.

Relic is at this point multiple years of "grind your face off with X for iLevel"; the i210 step in Heavensward was particularly egregious in the amount of grind/old content you had to put out for a relatively minimal upgrade (for some jobs, it was still a downgrade from the Thordan weapon.) This was particularly bad since it hit at a time where people were sort of really eager for something new, and the relic was just "go do old stuff for a really large amount of time".

I guess the best way to put it is that relic quest line is basically barely-disguised filler with weapon iLevel as a carrot; the more times you've already done the things it's asking you to go do, the more eyeroll-inducing it is when they call the relic "new content" and then it just ends up being "go run ARR content a bunch". It's one of the most treadmill-y parts of the game, and after a few years it can kind of lose its shine.

So it's popular with some people, unpopular with some people, really unpopular with some people. As of 3.4, weapon availability is probably at one of the best balance points in the game's history (250 crafted, 255 Sophia, 260 from A10S or 7 A12N clears, 270/275 from raid, and you could basically take anyone with an HQ crafted weapon into anything in the game) so it's kind of an everyone wins situation.

That 20/20/20/20 step was really, really bad. It really soured me on the game when it came out because I had actually enjoyed the previous relic process in ARR but that was taking the piss.

wamberz1

MOENBRYDA NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ;_; ;_; ;_;
RIP best character, her reign was short but glorious...
So I finished the patch content and I'm up to heavensward.
Wow, I was not expecting this level of story from post launch non-expansion content at all. It was pretty good and hyped me up like crazy for heavensward.

- The music jumped in quality. Titans theme was great but the rest were meh, I feel like every single boss song I heard in post launch was utterly superb. Shiva's theme made my jaw hit the floor.

- I
saw the crystal braves heel turn coming a mountain range away, but it didn't make it any less ruthless. Was legit surprised the wailer guy was one of them.

- Doing a pug for the
ascian
boss fight made me want to tear my hair out.

- Does
Midgardsormr
ever say ANYTHING that's not ambiguous as fuck? Dudes the king of that shit.

-
Alphinaud's
english voice change has me shook. Not sure If I'll ever get used to it.

Now I'm gonna go either MCH or DRK... both seem really fun. I'll have to give both a shot.

Sorian

Banned
What? Unidentified step was only possible in a week if you played literally 24/7

Unidentified stuff could be bought with tomes and seals so going to disagree with you completely. It took me a week and a half and that's because I got lazy and just waited for my last few to be free ones from beast tribes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
YJwuTm5.png

Not pictured: every weapon, of course.

At what point should I just give up on that mount drop and wait for the NPC vendor in 3.65?

Before Sophia I thought it was crazy that mounts cost 99 totems. "Who'd kill a boss that many times?!"

I've done Sophia 40 times. Not seen a single bird drop... rate is awful.

Cmagus

YJwuTm5.png

Not pictured: every weapon, of course.

At what point should I just give up on that mount drop and wait for the NPC vendor in 3.65?

Before Sophia I thought it was crazy that mounts cost 99 totems. "Who'd kill a boss that many times?!"

The drops rates on the birds are still insane. I'm sitting at 78 Hive totems now for Ravana and I'm so sick of that fight lol. I also had 40+ before but threw them away just before they introduced the whole 99 totems thing and I'm still kicking my self for that.. I'm at about 29 on Sophia but yeah I'll probably wait for nerfs to farm them out.

garath

You do know you don't have to wait by the dungeon for your time to come up right? You can go and do other things in the meantime.

You know, I suspected but did not know for sure. Can I open the duty finder and get in queue from anywhere too or does that have to be a click on a dungeon?

Good info. Thanks!

IvorB

You know, I suspected but did not know for sure. Can I open the duty finder and get in queue from anywhere too or does that have to be a click on a dungeon?

Good info. Thanks!

Ha ha. No wonder you were complaining about the wait. You guys can just queue for the dungeon and then go do FATEs, quests or whatever until it pops.

Ogawa-san

I've seen 4 in close to 140 kills. I can't roll any higher than 65 so I'm still riding a chocobo.

But at least I'm not the guy that I've seen rolling a 98... and losing. I'd have quit the game and gone for a very long walk afterwards.

Good info. Thanks!

You can enter any dungeon/trial/any instance in the game via the Duty Finder alone from anywhere in the game, then run around doing whatever until it pops and you get in. You can even change class, but you have to return to the class you signed up as before you can accept. While queuing you'll either see how many others are registered so far and their roles (e.g. 1 tank and 1 dps, still waiting on 1 healer, 1 dps (unlikely, but an example)) or if it's a busy roulette it just shows you your place in the queue as a number.

I've only done Ravana EX once, the bird dropped and I got it. I am a terrible person. A terrible person with a bird.

Heartfyre

I've only done Ravana EX once, the bird dropped and I got it. I am a terrible person. A terrible person with a bird.

Same happened with me and Titan's pony.

Unfortunately, that led to the desire to get the rest of the ponies, so I consider that event more of a curse than a blessing.

Sorian

Banned
I've seen 4 in close to 140 kills. I can't roll any higher than 65 so I'm still riding a chocobo.

But at least I'm not the guy that I've seen rolling a 98... and losing. I'd have quit the game and gone for a very long walk afterwards.

Back in the day when Leviathan was relevant I lost that pony with a 98. And thus pony farming was dead to me and I still don't care to this day.

3/6 birds though.

Hikami

Finally gave the game a try with the free trial. Really enjoyed it and already ordered the game.

Now I just have to make up my mind if I want to start with a tank or dps class..

Zhao_Yun

150 euros.... wow fuck me

I was going to go and see friends, but I'm really not sure anymore.
I can go see at least 3 different concerts/shows for that money.

Yeah, it's really hard to justify getting a ticket for that price...
Will probably bite the bullet though since some of my friends are actually flying over from the UK to go to the fanfest and it would be nice to meet up after playing together for such a long time. At least I am already in Germany and won't have to buy a plane ticket as well...

So, I still can't do the level 40 squadron mission. Can anyone give me tips on maybe who I should cut?

Vzaw7Mi.png

I'm guessing I need another Conjurer in the mix?

The current reqs for the 40 squadron mission are 315/325/340

Pop in all your info here and it'll tell you if it's possible for you to do or not with your current lineup.

http://ffxivsquadron.com/
Yeah, that's what i've been using and no sign of being able to complete it anytime soon.

You pretty much have to get all the stats at or above the requirements or he's going to say you're not ready. least that's what he told me. I was over on two, and under by less than 10 on one and he still said "we 're not ready for this". Moment I got that 3rd one at the threshold he's all "it's bound to succeed"

I never saw one of the middle comments "sure the risks are worth the rewards?" or "this will be challenging but we're up to it"
Yup, I haven't even attempted it because I know 3/3 is a requirement on this particular mission.

I guess I'll workshop some ideal teams in ffxivsquadron.com

Edit: Hm, looks like once everyone is 50, if I replace my Rogue with a Pugilist then all is good. I think the reqs will change tomorrow, hopefully to something more favorable.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, I still can't do the level 40 squadron mission. Can anyone give me tips on maybe who I should cut?

Vzaw7Mi.png

I'm guessing I need another Conjurer in the mix?

The current reqs for the 40 squadron mission are 315/325/340

You pretty much have to get all the stats at or above the requirements or he's going to say you're not ready. least that's what he told me. I was over on two, and under by less than 10 on one and he still said "we 're not ready for this". Moment I got that 3rd one at the threshold he's all "it's bound to succeed"

I never saw one of the middle comments "sure the risks are worth the rewards?" or "this will be challenging but we're up to it"

Ogawa-san

I'm actually curious about the next relic step. I mean, we've had the obligatory ones already: FATE spamming, dungeon spamming (lite), currency dump, dungeon currency dump...

What could be next, all of them together again with books redux?

They could surprise us all and make it a freebie for once. You talk to Ardashir, he apologizes profusely for wasting so so, much of your time and money with a perpetually outdated weapon, and gives you a 270 one for all your troubles.

Everyone ready for the next 150 floors of Palace of the Dead?
The best part about having all 60 jobs is that I can do PotD on any job without feeling I'm wasting exp, so now I only do it as a healer. Those full dps groups... Never. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom