• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

So am I understanding right that to do floors 101+ you have to be in a fixed group and stay in that fixed group all the way until your attempt ends? WTF?

The only way to get into 101+ is have a save file clear of floor 100 in a fixed group with no wipes. You then use that file for all 10 sets of challenge floors.

The only way to get that is to start in a fixed group at floor 51. If the group wipes between 51 and 100, you need to start over from 51 to have a 'clean' file to access 101.

You're free to leave after 10 floors like always, so you can tackle all the floors back-to-back or one set of 10 a day or whatever you want, but you can only reenter with the same fixed party you had before.

If you wipe after floor 101, your save is no longer valid and you need to restart the process from floor 51. So basically you're not changing up your group from 51 on unless you wipe and have to restart.

IvorB

The only way to get into 101+ is have a save file clear of floor 100 in a fixed group with no wipes. You then use that file for all 10 sets of challenge floors.

The only way to get that is to start in a fixed group at floor 51. If the group wipes between 51 and 100, you need to start over from 51 to have a 'clean' file to access 101.

You're free to leave after 10 floors like always, so you can tackle all the floors back-to-back or one set of 10 a day or whatever you want, but you can only reenter with the same fixed party you had before.

If you wipe after floor 101, your save is no longer valid and you need to restart the process from floor 51. So basically you're not changing up your group from 51 on unless you wipe and have to restart.

That truly, epically sucks. What were they thinking? So basically if you don't have a fixed group to play with there's no way you can play any of that. Why can't they allow people who have a save file clear up to a certain floor to match make/PF with each other?

Ken

is this the frontline GC restriction of PotD

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Or you could put up a party finder, find some people, talk out a schedule and do it.
Or even make or join a linkshell for the purpose to clear this content.
Basically, you know, just like playing an MMO.

Although I do agree that the 51-100 prerequisite is overdoing it.
There's no reason you have to slog through faceroll part just to attempt the hard mode again, and 10 hours is quite a commitment. Should just let us start from 101.
But you know, high stakes makes going through more impactful. When you reach bottom floors and you see that
Level 5 Death
being cast on 10 hours of your progress, you know shit just got real.

IvorB

Or you could put up a party finder, find some people, talk out a schedule and do it.
Or even make or join a linkshell for the purpose to clear this content.
Basically, you know, just like playing an MMO.

Although I do agree that the 51-100 prerequisite is overdoing it.
There's no reason you have to slog through faceroll part just to attempt the hard mode again, and 10 hours is quite a commitment. Should just let us start from 101.
But you know, high stakes makes going through more impactful. When you reach bottom floors and you see that
Level 5 Death
being cast on 10 hours of your progress, you know shit just got real.

I don't have a problem with joining a party-finder but it's the fact that it has to be the same four people all the way. So if you join a group and clear to maybe 120 then you have to stop you're basically stuck until you can assemble the four strangers you met on PF again at the same time. Realistically, how far can someone get like that because now you're basically talking about making a schedule and that's a static?

As I said above why can't they let people that have reached a particular floor freely group with each other? That's how I imaged they would do it. That's where stuff like a linkshell would become useful because now even if you have access to a whole linkshell full of people it doesn't help because you need those same four people every time to progress.

Also wait until you get really, really far then there's one guy who doesn't pitch up anymore and that's all of you back to the beginning. It's crazy.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Also wait until you get really, really far then there's one guy who doesn't pitch up anymore and that's all of you back to the beginning. It's crazy.

I guess them's the breaks? I'm slowly turning into that guy who enjoys MMOs for networking rather than for just casually queuing for whatever from the menu and getting my loot pinatas. Eh.

iammeiam

I have a really hard time reconciling PotD post-100 with how raiding works in this game. You can swap people into and out of groups for raiding as frequently as you want--statics evolved as a player concept for loot distribution and reliable people, but the game never forced it. You've always been able to take subs, swap people, sequence break if somebody missed a day, whatever. They introduced the one chest thing to make grouping up for raids easier and more flexible a couple years ago, and with Creator just flat out made it runnable with randoms day 1. That didn't destroy the community concept of MMOs or eliminate the existence of statics, it just gave people choices.

People asked for Savage dungeons for something challenging in smaller groups that you could just pick up and go do when you had a few people around, without the meta gameplay stuff people had set up to push it towards a scheduled thing you had to be there for.

PotD post-100 as a response to that is silly--it's no longer the players enforcing statics, it's the game. It's a 9 hour commitment, it's only people on your server because the backend is permanently frozen five years in the past, the penalty for failure is a loss of all progress, and if you're just really into the challenge you still have to slog through a bunch of boring stuff each time because they had to make something about it unappealing to everyone for fairness. If you have multiple configurations of people you want to run with? tough, pick one or two groups and that is it because of the save slot limitation.

I'm in a really weird spot with this. I think I know a way I can make it personally work out, for me; I like the look of what I've seen in the later floors, and this is the sort of variety the game sorely needed. Overall this probably works out to a net positive, for me. But the implementation of grouping is questionable at best and pretty wildly out-of-line with the game's approach to content lately, and if Heavensward has shown me anything it's that things that work for me are super unpopular with a lot of people.

aceface

Man they went full rougelike go back to level 1 (well, 51) when you die on this eh? On the one hand I want to say "well people wanted challenging content" and I see what they are trying to do but it seems like just going back to lv 100 would have been a good compromise.

Well to make an analogy with raiding though, maybe right now we are in the "hardcore statics are the only ones clearing" stage, and later on they will add the nerfs- being able to go back to lv 100 and then maybe being able to make permanent saves every 10 floors.

Man they went full rougelike go back to level 1 (well, 51) when you die on this eh? On the one hand I want to say "well people wanted challenging content" and I see what they are trying to do but it seems like just going back to lv 100 would have been a good compromise.

Well to make an analogy with raiding though, maybe right now we are in the "hardcore statics are the only ones clearing" stage, and later on they will add the nerfs- being able to go back to lv 100 and then maybe being able to make permanent saves every 10 floors.

If the backlash is big enough I could see them getting rid of the restrictions.

Right now it's inaccessible to people without static groups. Make a PF, maybe get a group. One or more people leave at some point during and don't come back because they have no reason to not stick people they don't even know or have any meaningful connection to.

Ogawa-san

"I hate PotD groups without a healer, so I'll queue as SCH."

Every group I've been from 51-100 had two healers, even three once. Bonus points when it's another SCH.

I mean, they don't have to enforce a comp, but some semblance of matchmaking would be awesome.

Edit: and I just learned that you should NOT go through floors in Cleric Stance. If the next one blocks abilities, you can't turn it off.

Qvoth

someone on reddit mentioned the night pegasus drops from the new gold sacks from floors 150+
said will post proof later or something so i'm thinking probably true

someone on reddit mentioned the night pegasus drops from the new gold sacks from floors 150+
said will post proof later or something so i'm thinking probably true

I'd be willing to believe it.

Unfortunately, I don't have anyone to run with on Ultros. I'd be willing to run with you guys.

Currently +75 arm/+67 armor.

Qara Kha on Ultros, but not logged in, currently. I'd apply for the GAF FC but I have a house to tend to while my own FC is...mostly absent.

Man A9S seemed even more simple than the videos described, cleared it second time in. I'm sure the other turns will make me eat my words

Qvoth

9s and 10s is quite easy
the difficulty jump from 10s to 11s is insane though
still stuck on 11s last phase :<

edit:
1934a00b3f8144dfb5df6ff80393d532.png
there it is

Rainy

Banned
Been playing the game for a few weeks and I'm a level 23 THM currently. Gotta admit I'm really loving it. Grabbed me in a way I didn't expect it to.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Already seeing people with the new relic around, guess I shouldn't be that shocked.

All I want out of POTD is Wind up Edda

It's really not that hard of a stage. If you were caped on Lore before update and you did the weekly and daily quest, then you're already halfway there.

dramatis

So i stumbled upon this book, dont tell me its the "how i saved FFXIV" book!!!
It is a "How FF14 was rebooted" book. While Yoshida is listed as the author, it's apparently a compilation of the columns he wrote for Famitsu when explaining the takeover and development process after Tanaka departed, I suppose. The columns have been edited for the book, and there's additional material from other FF14 dev team members.

Cmagus

Already seeing people with the new relic around, guess I shouldn't be that shocked.

All I want out of POTD is Wind up Edda
I've gotten two already but I sold them both for 2.6 mil a piece. I need to try to push into 100+ tonight for POTD or at least far enough to get some of those orchestrion rolls.

Raijinken

Kagari, there is a minion tied to season 3 of feast for those that make the top 10 on the rankings. When am I gonna run into you during PVP?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Evening EST static is currently looking for a tank (of any job, but proficiency in multiple ones is a huge boon). We cleared A12S but if you're behind that can be worked with. We're on Excalibur, but I figure it's worth a shot asking here. Running times are 8-12 PM EST.

Thorgal

allagan coil pieces have nosedived on mb now they are dropped in potd .

Head piece went from 1 million on monday to barely 50 k today .

Ogawa-san

Yeah, I got four pieces yesterday myself and I've only done 51-100 twice. None I'd use myself but neither are worth selling at this point, so I might just desynth.

It's great to get those sweet looking pieces on the cheap, but I feel they should've been rarer drops for the work that it is to craft them.

IvorB

I guess them's the breaks? I'm slowly turning into that guy who enjoys MMOs for networking rather than for just casually queuing for whatever from the menu and getting my loot pinatas. Eh.

I get the idea of that but the way this is set up is just so impractical based on the reality of today. It looks like you're in a static (based on your post below) so maybe you would see things differently if you had to actually do what you're describing in this case without the support of your fixed group. It's people without that that are screwed by this.

"I hate PotD groups without a healer, so I'll queue as SCH."

Every group I've been from 51-100 had two healers, even three once. Bonus points when it's another SCH.

I mean, they don't have to enforce a comp, but some semblance of matchmaking would be awesome.

Edit: and I just learned that you should NOT go through floors in Cleric Stance. If the next one blocks abilities, you can't turn it off.

No healer groups is when my sh*tty Physic spell gets a time to shine. :)

The idea of PotD is to queue as Warrior and treat everyone else like FATE NPCs, because you might as well be soloing everything for all the wandering off and into every trap ever they do. >.>

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I get the idea of that but the way this is set up is just so impractical based on the reality of today. It looks like you're in a static (based on your post below) so maybe you would see things differently if you had to actually do what you're describing in this case without the support of your fixed group. It's people without that that are screwed by this.

No healer groups is when my sh*tty Physic spell gets a time to shine. :)

I do have a save file with randoms from a linkshell. It's a slow progress but when we're all on we go to clear 20 floors or so.

Qvoth

just saw the floor 200 spoilers lol
even the reward is stupid
guess i'll just do it for night pegasus and abigail barding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom