• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

What accuracy do I need on Bard for say uhhh... A9s? I wish there were in-game values that I can look at instead of going into an instance and realise I'm missing every single iron-jaws and sidewinder

D:<
The Stone Sky Sea dummies actually have accuracy factored into when you're doing them now I think. Remember that being in the patch notes.

Croyles

What accuracy do I need on Bard for say uhhh... A9s? I wish there were in-game values that I can look at instead of going into an instance and realise I'm missing every single iron-jaws and sidewinder

D:<
Frontal accuracy is 700 which is what you want because there will be times you hit things from the front.

Zuly

Did all of the Coil raids back to back with pugs and FC members and got the watch all the cutscenes. It was pretty fun.

On a side note, I had someone tell me that my gear was wrong as I didn't need accuracy materia because I'm a healer.

Nohar

Did all of the Coil raids back to back with pugs and FC members and got the watch all the cutscenes. It was pretty fun.

On a side note, I had someone tell me that my gear was wrong as I didn't need accuracy materia because I'm a healer.

*eye twitching*

Someone who never experienced HL content I gather.

Zuly

*eye twitching*

Someone who never experienced HL content I gather.

I know, right? I still haven't reached anywhere near the cap because I'm waiting to finish upgrading the rest of my gear to reach ilvl260, I only have my smaller Shire left pieces with accuracy melded in them. I still haven't decided what to put on my right side yet. Any ideas? Pie > Det or Pie > Crit for White Mage?

Omni

I know, right? I still haven't reached anywhere near the cap because I'm waiting to finish upgrading the rest of my gear to reach ilvl260, I only have my smaller Shire left pieces with accuracy melded in them. I still haven't decided what to put on my right side yet. Any ideas? Pie > Det or Pie > Crit for White Mage?

I have a couple of Vit Vs on my right side for WHM. Rest accuracy.

The Stone Sky Sea dummies actually have accuracy factored into when you're doing them now I think. Remember that being in the patch notes.

Frontal accuracy is 700 which is what you want because there will be times you hit things from the front.

Taa guys.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The more I try to solo all 100 floors of PotD, the more I realize how bad I am at it (and probably at the game in general). I finally got to the floor 50 boss with my DRG today. My actual dragoon is level ~30, so I had to google lv 60 rotations but managed to not die (so many times) while getting to floor 50. Problems started there - despite using max potions, HP regenerating cooldowns etc., I could only get the boss to ~40-50% HP, while dodging everything that can be dodged by moving/turning around. My gear is around 92/94-96 I have no idea how to tackle that fight. Maybe I should change my class to SMN which I have on 60 or BLM which is my main after all.

New player here with a couple of questions to ask if anyone can spare the time =)

1) Carbuncle looks cute af. I love healing classes in games. I was looking into the Scholar class but saw Carbuncle is replaced by a couple of fairies? Is there any way to keep Carbuncle around as a healing class?

2) The reason I want to play is because a close friend has moved abroad for a few years and we thought this would be a great game to play online together. He will play on PS4, I'll play on PC. I know the crossplay works great, but I was wondering if I could use my Vita to use the PlayStation Party voice chat feature? I can't find anything concrete on whether that would work or not, and I know it's a fairly niche question so not sure finding the answer will be easy. Seems like Vita can't do voice chat when remote play is used, but I'd literally just be keeping the Vita on my desk for voice chat, while playing on PC.

Nohar

New player here with a couple of questions to ask if anyone can spare the time =)

1) Carbuncle looks cute af. I love healing classes in games. I was looking into the Scholar class but saw Carbuncle is replaced by a couple of fairies? Is there any way to keep Carbuncle around as a healing class?

2) The reason I want to play is because a close friend has moved abroad for a few years and we thought this would be a great game to play online together. He will play on PS4, I'll play on PC. I know the crossplay works great, but I was wondering if I could use my Vita to use the PlayStation Party voice chat feature? I can't find anything concrete on whether that would work or not, and I know it's a fairly niche question so not sure finding the answer will be easy. Seems like Vita can't do voice chat when remote play is used, but I'd literally just be keeping the Vita on my desk for voice chat, while playing on PC.

1) No. Once you switch to Scholar, you will summon Fairies (Eos and Selene) instead. Soon, a patch should introduce the possibility to "glamour" summons for the Summoner, but it is unknown if the Scholar will be able to give a specific appearance to their pets.

2) No idea.

aceface

Hate to break this to you, but you're going to lose Carbuncle either way if you become a summoner or a scholar. They did say they were bringing back Carby as a glamour for your summon but I think that's only for summoners. Also, I'm not sure if it was confirmed for 3.5 or not.

For voice chat, why not use discord on your phones or something?

1) No. Once you switch to Scholar, you will summon Fairies (Eos and Selene) instead. Soon, a patch should introduce the possibility to "glamour" summons for the Summoner, but it is unknown if the Scholar will be able to give a specific appearance to their pets.

2) No idea.

Hate to break this to you, but you're going to lose Carbuncle either way if you become a summoner or a scholar. They did say they were bringing back Carby as a glamour for your summon but I think that's only for summoners. Also, I'm not sure if it was confirmed for 3.5 or not.

For voice chat, why not use discord on your phones or something?

Thanks for the replies! Shame about losing Carbuncle. He looks so iconic, while the fairies and summons look kinda... bland. Heck, they even released a plushie of Carbuncle. Though customization options for them in the future sound promising!

Discord could definitely be an option. It was mainly that PS voice chat is something we already use when we play PS4 games, so would be good to stick to that standard if possible. I guess we'll try it out and see =)

Squishy3

Thanks for the replies! Shame about losing Carbuncle. He looks so iconic, while the fairies and summons look kinda... bland. Heck, they even released a plushie of Carbuncle. Though customization options for them in the future sound promising!

Discord could definitely be an option. It was mainly that PS voice chat is something we already use when we play PS4 games, so would be good to stick to that standard if possible. I guess we'll try it out and see =)
I think the fairies look better than the Egis but yeah. The plan is to have carbuncle be the first glamour option for summoners though since he's already in-game.

Mesharey

Check the Party finder regularly. Quite often people are looking for players to fill up their static. You might get lucky. Also ask inside of your FC if some people would be interested in creating one.

Also, having a static is not all sunshine and rainbows either. [snip deleted]
Yeah, I've been in a static for over a year.

Anyway, finally finished A10s in RF! xD
Also, tank feet dropped and I got it. :3

Hikami

Got my Dragoon to 60 today. Apparently my item level wasn't high enough to do the last Heavensward dungeon so I did a bit of palace of the dead. Pretty cool place. Got to floor 50 and converted my aetherpool gear to get the Padjali weapon. That pushed me past the item level requirement.

So I finished the Heavensward story quests. Amazing stuff.

I think I want to level a different job first though before continuing on to the 3.x story stuff. I don't like how DRG plays at 60.

I think the fairies look better than the Egis but yeah. The plan is to have carbuncle be the first glamour option for summoners though since he's already in-game.

Awesome! Maybe the fairies will grow on me, but at least with Summoners getting Carbuncle back there's some hope for Scholar customization in the future too I guess. Or maybe I won't even enjoy healing and play as a Summoner after all!

I got the impression Scholar is the best healing class for DPS on the side as well? I'd like to feel competent at solo play since my friend and I live in different time zones. Coming from ESO where every class can be amazing at DPS might be a bit of an adjustment...

Zuly

Awesome! Maybe the fairies will grow on me, but at least with Summoners getting Carbuncle back there's some hope for Scholar customization in the future too I guess. Or maybe I won't even enjoy healing and play as a Summoner after all!

I got the impression Scholar is the best healing class for DPS on the side as well? I'd like to feel competent at solo play since my friend and I live in different time zones. Coming from ESO where every class can be amazing at DPS might be a bit of an adjustment...

All healers do just fine in the DPS department when it comes to solo play. The Scholar is rather good at DPS in party instances because the fairy can heal while they DPS but the other jobs can output decent DPS as well. I would say damage wise, it's SCH > WHM > AST. SCH is more DoT oriented while WHM is more burst damage with DoTS on the side. AST falls a bit behind but make up for it with overall party damage buffs.

Edit: With that said, nothing feels as good as a healer than Presence of the Mind > Aero III > Holy Spam > Assize, and watching a whole mob of trash get insta bursted down as a White Mage.

aceface

All healers do just fine in the DPS department when it comes to solo play. The Scholar is rather good at DPS in party instances because the fairy can heal while they DPS but the other jobs can output decent DPS as well. I would say damage wise, it's SCH > WHM > AST. SCH is more DoT oriented while WHM is more burst damage with DoTS on the side. AST falls a bit behind but make up for it with overall party damage buffs.

Edit: With that said, nothing feels as good as a healer than Presence of the Mind > Aero III > Holy Spam > Assize, and watching a whole mob of trash get insta bursted down as a White Mage.

I think WHM actually does more raw damage, but in a two healer setup the SCH usually is the designated dps healer because they have better mp regeneration with Aetherflow, their damage skills being dot based are more passive so a SCH can lay down dots then go back to healing if needed, and a lot of times the fairy can take over healing while the SCH goes full on dps.

The good thing about picking SCH as a healing class is that for solo duties and story missions and stuff you can just switch over to SMN to make things die a whole lot quicker.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think WHM actually does more raw damage, but in a two healer setup the SCH usually is the designated dps healer because they have better mp regeneration with Aetherflow, their damage skills being dot based are more passive so a SCH can lay down dots then go back to healing if needed, and a lot of times the fairy can take over healing while the SCH goes full on dps.

The good thing about picking SCH as a healing class is that for solo duties and story missions and stuff you can just switch over to SMN to make things die a whole lot quicker.
Agreed on all points. The WHM is usually the main healer, though the optimal setup is having both healers chipping in damage whenever they can. The total damage between the two healers in this setup usually outstrips the damage done by one main healer doing very little damage and an off-healer doing a lot of damage.

Of course, most groups don't have the synergy/skill between both healers to have them both producing effective damage like this.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Which ine of those would be the best to solo all 100 floors of PotD with? SCH or WHM? I assume that AST might be hard because if the randomness factor (I also never played it, so this statement might be crazy).

Reknoc

Which ine of those would be the best to solo all 100 floors of PotD with? SCH or WHM? I assume that AST might be hard because if the randomness factor (I also never played it, so this statement might be crazy).

An uneducated guess would have me go with SCH for their Fairy. AST might be pretty decent because of their buffs?

Vic_Viper

Hey guys, havent been on in awhile but ive been hearing alot about this Palace of the Dead. Is it out yet and how are people here liking it? Ive heard its a great way to level up quickly with a DPS as opposed to queuing for Raids. Plus theres no level requirement for entry right? Still really want to unlock the Death Knight class but the grind was really putting me off.

Also how is playing a Summoner now solo? I unlocked the Job a long time ago but never went back after getting it and have mainly been playing Paladin and now Ninja.

Can you still buy the Carbuncle Plush from the Square store with the minion code?

Is there any way to download the game without subbing first? Could I download the trial version and then just log in with my real character after subbing?

Baliis

Hey guys, havent been on in awhile but ive been hearing alot about this Palace of the Dead. Is it out yet and how are people here liking it? Ive heard its a great way to level up quickly with a DPS as opposed to queuing for Raids. Plus theres no level requirement for entry right? Still really want to unlock the Death Knight class but the grind was really putting me off.

Also how is playing a Summoner now solo? I unlocked the Job a long time ago but never went back after getting it and have mainly been playing Paladin and now Ninja.

Can you still buy the Carbuncle Plush from the Square store with the minion code?

PotD is fun. Can unlock at level 17 I think and there's no tank/2 DPS/healer req for the group so the queues go pretty fast. I was grinding out levels in DRK last night and was just running 51-60. Most people have like 60+ weapons and armor and you can breeze through it.

You do have to do the main quest all the way up to the heavenward content to unlock DRK though so don't skip out on it just grinding levels.

Vic_Viper

PotD is fun. Can unlock at level 17 I think and there's no tank/2 DPS/healer req for the group so the queues go pretty fast. I was grinding out levels in DRK last night and was just running 51-60. Most people have like 60+ weapons and armor and you can breeze through it.

You do have to do the main quest all the way up to the heavenward content to unlock DRK though so don't skip out on it just grinding levels.

Thanks. Yea where I left off was like inbetween level requirements for missions. I think I was around like 35 and my next quests were like 3 levels higher than what I currently was at and finding anything to do other than the fates was a giant pain in the ass. Forget the name of the area but it was a giant snowy area that has like a 4 stage fate that ends with a fight against this black dragon.

This is where I last left off trying to grind to my next set of quests. Says its called Camp Dragonhead but I dont remember it being called that:

400px-Sightseeing_log75.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Is there any way to download the game without subbing first? Could I download the trial version and then just log in with my real character after subbing?

POTD is pretty quick leveling. I leveled monk up from 30 to 50 by doing floor 51-60 mostly. Two runs gets a little more then a level, and each run only takes about 20 minutes. After 50 it is taking about 3 runs to get a level. Queues are nearly instant.

Vic_Viper

That sounds like exactly what ive been waiting for to level up faster.

Is there a way to download the game client before subbing? Can I download the trial client and just log in with my main account after subbing?

Thorgal

hmm i am still not fast enough to do my war opener fully for lvl 50 content before Berserk wears off .

This is what i am using :

Infuriate < Unchained < OP< Heavy swing <maim < Bloodbath < IR < Berserk < Storms eye < Heavy swing < Skull sunder < Butchers block < Fracture < inner beast < Heavy swing < maim < Storm eye .

I cannot get that last Storms eye off before getting pacified .

If i drop Fracture i can do it but i miss out on the dot .

what should i do : drop it or not ?

Has anyone who ordered the lore book in the second printing received theirs yet? Mines been marked as shipped for a while but I still don't have it. There's no tracking available.

garath

Crap. What happens if I don't finish all 10 levels of PotD? Will I lose all my progress?

I entered it for the first time with only like 15 min to play and only got to the 6th floor. I found one of those items to trade in laterand got my weapon to +5 and ninja to like level 15. :(

Ken

Crap. What happens if I don't finish all 10 levels of PotD? Will I lose all my progress?

I entered it for the first time with only like 15 min to play and only got to the 6th floor. I found one of those items to trade in laterand got my weapon to +5 and ninja to like level 15. :(

Yes

Luminaire

Clearing this round of Savage by going in blind has been a lot of fun. Beat it last week with no guides or videos, just a lot of deaths and experimentation. I do miss A8S's immense difficulty though.

Chille

Why not set up a learning party?

Because I find im cursed with savage, last 3 groups that invited me disbanded before we even got one run. lol

Maybe I shouldn't put the fact I'm the worse monk on ultros in my PFs maybe it needs more leg humping promises.

aceface

Because I find im cursed with savage, last 3 groups that invited me disbanded before we even got one run. lol

Maybe I shouldn't put the fact I'm the worse monk on ultros in my PFs maybe it needs more leg humping promises.

Chille you should join GAF, we were taking people through A9S this past weekend, it was fun!

Omni

I still can't clear A11s with my static. I recorded one of our better runs today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpr1HGkDtI

Anyone able to tell if there's any glaring issues that can help us beat it finally? Mostly that last phase. I know I should DPS more, but I tend to be a bit conservative on the first clear. I tried to push harder on other runs tonight but it didn't help any. That second G-100 or whatever keeps wiping us

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I still can't clear A11s with my static. I recorded one of our better runs today.

Anyone able to tell if there's any glaring issues that can help us beat it finally? Mostly that last phase. I know I should DPS more, but I tend to be a bit conservative on the first clear. I tried to push harder on other runs tonight but it didn't help any. That second G-100 or whatever keeps wiping us

It's really down to improving DPS. WAR, MCH and BLM are major suspects, but it's hard to tell without seeing the logs. Most groups kill it before the second GA-100 so they don't care about preserving towers much, the run in the video could've gone half a minute longer than that if the last tower didn't get clipped at the end. It's kinda hard to give advice on what happens after that because... well, pretty much nobody sees it, the solution is to kill it before that becomes a problem.

Edit: It's actually impossible to find a clear that goes for another rotation, even the slowest clear on FFlogs kills the boss before GA-100, so I think nobody got around to figuring a better tower strategy as it's simpler to just kill the boss.

Kaname

Looking for a new static after killing A12S for 3 weeks sucks :(
I really don't want to go back and do progression but the chances of finding a clear group are so low I want to cry.

iammeiam

Have everyone sit down, review recordings, and go through what they're doing in the fight after towers pop up since that's when the soft enrage timer starts. The one thing I noticed is your MCH drops Wildfire on the boss during Propeller Wind. This is bad, because he jumps for Limit Cut before WF explodes, meaning the entire Wildfire is lost (and he jumps at about 5 seconds left on WF which means a good chance your MCH is losing buffs on other GCDs too.) WF getting lost to an unexpected early phase push would be one thing, but Limit Cut after Propeller Wind is expected and cooldowns should be held accordingly. It might just be a matter of seeing things a few more times, but if you have somebody on voice who can remind people when Limit Cut is coming, it might help.

Learning when Limit Cut happens and making sure nobody blows CDs before one will gain you some damage, which seems to be mostly what you need.

Valor

From a cursory glance it just seems dps is kind of low, which kind of echoes previous sentiments. I'm curious why you're using LB2 during Eternal Darkness, since you could just wait a while longer and get an LB3 off on him instead during the pyretic phase and still get enough LB at the end to get another 3 if your fight is going to last 12ish minutes. In our first clear that was over 12m we got two melee LB3's off. Comparing my group's damage on both lbs you're losing like 50k damage it looks like which could help considerably towards getting the clear.

Gonna echo the MCH stuff said, it's important to know the rotation as the DPS because there are two limit cuts very close together in the last phase that you don't wanna use any big cooldowns around. I wait until both limit cuts are done to wildfire again on that last phase, and being sure to maximize your hypercharge uptime with everyone dpsing the boss will help.

On the plus side healing seems fine, so I really think it comes down to the question of are the dps pulling their weight or not.

ittoryu

I've started to play again recently, but I soon discovered that with my character I had to wai a generation in order to find someone for a dungeon :(
Reading around it seems that it is a common issue, especially with DSP characters. I've switched to healer and I get to wait 5 mins max... but boy I miss my DSP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom