• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

The logic in the level 50 dragoon rotation is:

heavy thrust -> impulse drive disembowel chaos thrust -> phlebotomize -> true thrust vorpal thrust full thrust (always life surge the full thrust if possible) -> heavy thrust -> true thrust vorpal thrust full thrust -> impulse drive disembowel chaos thrust. And you can just sorta wing it on the blood for blood/jumps although you'll always want to pair power surge with the normal jump since it's the highest potency.

The reason it's this way is that after reapplying heavy thrust you have time to do another true thrust combo before disembowel and chaos thrust wear off (allowing your reapplied disembowel to benefit from the piercing debuff) while not clipping the damage over time from chaos thrust.

It'll change come Heavensward but since you're a ways off from there you'll have plenty of time to familiarize yourself with the level 50 rotation and it'll naturally make it easier to adapt to the Heavensward abilities.

Last phase of a11s is pretty tough, honestly. I'm pretty happy with the difficulty spike as I found a9s and 10s pretty easy. I think it only took us a few hours to learn both and clear. But yeah, I only raid in this game now... XV is out next week :D

Pretty much on cooldown.

Dragoons have a reputation for being killed by AoE because of the animation lock from Jump. If you anticipate an AoE coming up that you have to move out of you might want to hold off for a moment or two. Again, it'll come down to practice. Spineshatter and Dragonfire Dive are nice for closing the gap too, but don't rely on them for that, use them on cooldown while keeping in mind any AoE or other mechanics that are coming up. Later on you'll be able to get more stylish with those jumps paired with Elusive Jump. That's half the fun for me.

Lastly, Power Surge is on a one minute cooldown and Jump is on thirty seconds. Always pair these up. Every other Jump will be unbuffed, but there isn't a better use for Power Surge. You can buff Spineshatter Dive, but Jump is higher potency.

The logic in the level 50 dragoon rotation is:

heavy thrust -> impulse drive disembowel chaos thrust -> phlebotomize -> true thrust vorpal thrust full thrust (always life surge the full thrust if possible) -> heavy thrust -> true thrust vorpal thrust full thrust -> impulse drive disembowel chaos thrust. And you can just sorta wing it on the blood for blood/jumps although you'll always want to pair power surge with the normal jump since it's the highest potency.

The reason it's this way is that after reapplying heavy thrust you have time to do another true thrust combo before disembowel and chaos thrust wear off (allowing your reapplied disembowel to benefit from the piercing debuff) while not clipping the damage over time from chaos thrust.

It'll change come Heavensward but since you're a ways off from there you'll have plenty of time to familiarize yourself with the level 50 rotation and it'll naturally make it easier to adapt to the Heavensward abilities.

Thanks!

Omni

Yuck all of the Scripture gear for tanks has so much parry

I don't even wanna buy it. Guess I'll gear a DPS instead o.o

iammeiam

Yuck all of the Scripture gear for tanks has so much parry

I don't even wanna buy it. Guess I'll gear a DPS instead o.o

The hat is good! And a couple of the accessories maybe. And the upgraded DRK sword IIRC is slightly better than the A12S sword.

But yeah, tanks finished up their tome buys super quick this tier since so much of it is bad.

Thorgal

which does beg the question :

If the developers knew beforehand that Parry as a stat sucks (and since they plan to change/replace the parry stat we can be honest : they do know ) why did they decide to plaster it over most of the tank 260 gear ?

now i get it : these weapons are given the stats they have to make them balanced and not ( too) OP for the current and next patch content .

but at the same time ,was there really no option to switch the useless parry stat and replace it with something else ?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm wondering which class I should level up next.
All my battle classes are at least on level 30 and I have BLM, SMN (and SCH, but I barely touched it), and MCH on 60.
I started playing FF14 1.0 as a Monk, so maybe I should get that one to 60? Or experience something different and hit the cap with a healer or a tank.
Decisions, decisions.

Omni

The hat is good! And a couple of the accessories maybe. And the upgraded DRK sword IIRC is slightly better than the A12S sword.

But yeah, tanks finished up their tome buys super quick this tier since so much of it is bad.
Yeah, I bought the uhhh tome chest and hat! The rest seems to be kinda trashy. Can't remember what the accessories are though. Usually leave those for last / savage.

Trying to decide between gearing my SMN and Bard. I like both a lot. SMN lets me output more dps but Bard is just so much more 'involving' and interesting to play when it's single target. Damn you weekly caps!
I'm wondering which class I should level up next.
All my battle classes are at least on level 30 and I have BLM, SMN (and SCH, but I barely touched it), and MCH on 60.
I started playing FF14 1.0 as a Monk, so maybe I should get that one to 60? Or experience something different and hit the cap with a healer or a tank.
Decisions, decisions.
When I was trying to decide which roles to level, I went with DRK, BRD, and WHM. Just so that I had one of each role. Helps a lot for queues and stuff

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When I was trying to decide which roles to level, I went with DRK, BRD, and WHM. Just so that I had one of each role. Helps a lot for queues and stuff
Getting all my classes to 30 definitely showed the huge differences in queues, but on the other hand I'm planning to do mostly PotD, because it's way more fun that any of the 1-50 dungeons I've seen hundreds of times already. Still, might be fun to learn how to heal or tank on a higher level, if only to prepare for the new expansion classes, whatever they turn out to be.
If the RDM rumors are true and they can somehow make it into the jack of all trades it should be (I have no idea how that would work with the current trinity), not being terrible at non-dps playstyle would be a big plus.

dude I can't replay the cutscenes in my bedroom. Only the first one of the final mission. The hell? I skipped so many to keep up with the group. Do I have to hit youtube?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
dude I can't replay the cutscenes in my bedroom. Only the first one of the final mission. The hell? I skipped so many to keep up with the group. Do I have to hit youtube?
As far as I know, the inn room is the only way to replay them in-game, so YT might actually be the only choice.

Hey guys, not sure if anyone can help here. This is a bit of a hail mary, but here it goes. (I tried to post this in a more appropriate thread, but I can't seem to find a dedicated General PC Gaming Gaf thread.)

Basically, I booted up XIV, and noticed massive framerate drops and general unresponsiveness. I never messed with the settings in the game before, but I went in and tired changing things up after the performance issues without any luck.

I haven an NVIDIA GTX 600...or 700. (I'm not sure cause it's a handme-down GPU and there's no freaking model number on the actual card itself.)

I suspected that maybe something in my tower got unhinged (I recently physically moved the location of my PC tower). I opened it up, removed the GPU and reconnected it. Things still didn't get fixed. After booting everything up, I noticed for whatever reason though, my PC seemed to have settings up for a 2nd display even though I'm only using one monitor. Not sure if this would have been the culprit.

I ran dxdiag, checked properties from the Display menu in windows10, and even tried to update my drivers through nvidia's hub. Not sure if these screencaps might help clarify what the issue is.

JhSxgMR.jpg

yXQZJmM.jpg

MKv7eCH.jpg

sl03YPD.jpg

Any input? Sorry for the long, drawn out post.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey guys, not sure if anyone can help here. This is a bit of a hail mary, but here it goes. (I tried to post this in a more appropriate thread, but I can't seem to find a dedicated General PC Gaming Gaf thread.)

Basically, I booted up XIV, and noticed massive framerate drops and general unresponsiveness. I never messed with the settings in the game before, but I went in and tired changing things up after the performance issues without any luck.

I haven an NVIDIA GTX 600...or 700. (I'm not sure cause it's a handme-down GPU and there's no freaking model number on the actual card itself.)

I suspected that maybe something in my tower got unhinged (I recently physically moved the location of my PC tower). I opened it up, removed the GPU and reconnected it. Things still didn't get fixed. After booting everything up, I noticed for whatever reason though, my PC seemed to have settings up for a 2nd display even though I'm only using one monitor. Not sure if this would have been the culprit.

I ran dxdiag, checked properties from the Display menu in windows10, and even tried to update my drivers through nvidia's hub. Not sure if these screencaps might help clarify what the issue is.

Any input? Sorry for the long, drawn out post.
I didn't experience this on my own PC, but my family one had this problem. It started happening after and upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 from what I've heard.

Quick googling showed this. There's also this guide with another method of fixing the failed installation problem.
Here's the official solution.

Hikami

But why is it only offering the first cutscene of the mission? There's a slider to change scenes, but it's greyed out.

You have to finish the next quest I think. I had the same issue where I skipped all the cutscenes to not get left behind in that one dungeon. Had to complete a quest so it'd show up in the inn.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This looks extremely strange. I'm not entirely sure if I'm reading this right, so maybe someone can back me up on this, but it looks like your computer is running your main (and only) monitor on your CPU's integrated graphics, and running your GPU on a nonexistent second monitor.

This might be a stupid question, but is your monitor plugged into your motherboard or your GPU?

Maybe this thread will help.

Nothing. It appears that I am missing a ton of cutscenes, actually. It's super weird that this bug hasn't been fixed. That thread was from two years ago.

You have to finish the next quest I think. I had the same issue where I skipped all the cutscenes to not get left behind in that one dungeon. Had to complete a quest so it'd show up in the inn.

I completed the quest, including the following one. It did not remedy the issue.

Oh well, I'll just watch it on youtube. It's still lame though.

This looks extremely strange. I'm not entirely sure if I'm reading this right, so maybe someone can back me up on this, but it looks like your computer is running your main (and only) monitor on your CPU's integrated graphics, and running your GPU on a nonexistent second monitor.

That's what I was thinking too, but I wasn't sure that would be possible. And even if it was, not sure why it wasn't an issue that manifested before.

This might be a stupid question, but is your monitor plugged into your motherboard or your GPU?

Uh...not sure. I didn't put it all together. Time to open it up and look inside again I guess.

creid

IIRC you have to switch to watch dungeon cutscenes (since the cutscenes happened while you were in the dungeon) instead of quest cutscenes, or something like that.

Hikami

How can you make people understand not to look at Edda when she's casting cold feet?

I keep getting groups that wipe there because they do it anyway after being warned :I

How can you make people understand not to look at Edda when she's casting cold feet?

I keep getting groups that wipe there because they do it anyway after being warned :I

It can be kind of picky what it will count as looking away, so I tend to forgive one or two mistakes. Most of the time I just get parties that don't ask or are just laser focused on burning her down that they try to ignore it.

PotD does get a lot of new players, though, so it's good to keep that in mind.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

You should be able to solo that fight given that your gear is high enough, so finish the fight yourself!

(I feel one of the attacks scales with how much DMG players receive, so the above is only half serious)

Hikami

Managed to clear it finally. Same thing happened in floors 51-60 though lol.. that one enemy that has a similar attack. An archer in the group died like 5 times to it before he finally understood to look away.

aceface

Uh...not sure. I didn't put it all together. Time to open it up and look inside again I guess.

I don't think you'd need to take it apart to figure that out though, it's just if there's more than one hdmi port on the back of the computer, try plugging it into the other one. I think this is definitely something you would have noticed though if you took the computer apart once already.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Is the game kind of dead? Or just Ultros? I can't seem to get into any duty I want to do anymore. I couldn't get into The Weeping City of Mhach yesterday and today I can't get in as well even after an hour. Should I be looking at transferring servers? I'm queuing as WHM, last time I played I could get into anything in 10 minutes or less. Clearing Alex normal seems impossible too.

Is the game kind of dead? Or just Ultros? I can't seem to get into any duty I want to do anymore. I couldn't get into The Weeping City of Mhach yesterday and today I can't get in as well even after an hour. Should I be looking at transferring servers? I'm queuing as WHM, last time I played I could get into anything in 10 minutes or less. Clearing Alex normal seems impossible too.
It's not really the game being dead as much as some content being dead. Most people that wanted to do stuff like Mhach and Alex are already done with it.

aceface

Today is a holiday in the US, there will be a lot less people playing. Transferring servers won't help, duty finder pulls from all the servers in the data center. I suppose you could try a sever in the other data center, but I'm not sure how much that will help.

I've found that queues for the 24 mans are easier to get on the weekend. Usually even when trying during the week for Wondrous Tails, it can take ages to fill up if it fills up at all.

Alex wise, I was lucky and got FC folks to run through it with us - not sure how the queues are during the week with WT though I have seen PFs for them on Tuesdays.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I've found that queues for the 24 mans are easier to get on the weekend. Usually even when trying during the week for Wondrous Tails, it can take ages to fill up if it fills up at all.

Alex wise, I was lucky and got FC folks to run through it with us - not sure how the queues are during the week with WT though I have seen PFs for them on Tuesdays.

Today is a holiday in the US, there will be a lot less people playing. Transferring servers won't help, duty finder pulls from all the servers in the data center. I suppose you could try a sever in the other data center, but I'm not sure how much that will help.

It's not really the game being dead as much as some content being dead. Most people that wanted to do stuff like Mhach and Alex are already done with it.

Thanks everyone I was just over reacting there, sorry. Just excited to catch up on stuff and automatically was comparing everything to last time I was playing. Thanks for the advice

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Soloing PotD is so much better than with any other class I tried it so far (SMN, DRG). It feels like nothing can kill me including bosses and monster room traps. Got to floor 40 today with 0 deaths. I really like DPSing with this class, bummer that it's a tank.

How's the game doing? I quit a long time ago but I'm tempted by the black friday deal on Heavensward. How fun is machinist? I mainly quit because I found the combat to be really boring (I was a warrior), did they change much in that regard?

Squishy3

Thanks everyone I was just over reacting there, sorry. Just excited to catch up on stuff and automatically was comparing everything to last time I was playing. Thanks for the advice
You could always try setting up a PF for Alex since it only needs 8 people and people want bonus for wondrous tail reshuffle points and bonus tomestones

They really should consider adding an Alexander roulette considering how dead the previous turns are, and it's not like it's Coil hard.

Don't open up your PC, the monitor cable is plugged in on the outside.

I don't think you'd need to take it apart to figure that out though, it's just if there's more than one hdmi port on the back of the computer, try plugging it into the other one. I think this is definitely something you would have noticed though if you took the computer apart once already.

Um...yeah, it was on the wrong HDMI output. (Didn't realize gaming GPU's had their own, separate video-out. Or that your CPU's janky, built-in GPU concurrently still runs its own poor performance even when you have a nice graphics card.) Lol I feel like an idiot. Such a simple mistake and solution.

Regardless, thanks guys. (Sorry about highjacking the thread over something so dumb.) Grid looks gorgeous again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom