• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's really down to improving DPS. WAR, MCH and BLM are major suspects, but it's hard to tell without seeing the logs. Most groups kill it before the second GA-100 so they don't care about preserving towers much, the run in the video could've gone half a minute longer than that if the last tower didn't get clipped at the end. It's kinda hard to give advice on what happens after that because... well, pretty much nobody sees it, the solution is to kill it before that becomes a problem.

Edit: It's actually impossible to find a clear that goes for another rotation, even the slowest clear on FFlogs kills the boss before GA-100, so I think nobody got around to figuring a better tower strategy as it's simpler to just kill the boss.
What's the standard strat for final phase? My group is starting to get into that phase now so I'm figuring out what we want to do with the towers.

Right now my plan is to completely baby one of the towers while not really worrying about the other two. Is this viable?

I also heard about sacrificing one of the towers with GA-100. How does that affect the fight and the strategy?

hmm i am still not fast enough to do my war opener fully for lvl 50 content before Berserk wears off .

This is what i am using :

Infuriate < Unchained < OP< Heavy swing <maim < Bloodbath < IR < Berserk < Storms eye < Heavy swing < Skull sunder < Butchers block < Fracture < inner beast < Heavy swing < maim < Storm eye .

I cannot get that last Storms eye off before getting pacified .

If i drop Fracture i can do it but i miss out on the dot .

what should i do : drop it or not ?
What's your skill speed? That's 9 GCDs in berserk, which should be doable unless you're way too low on SS or being slightly slow on some of your GCDs.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What's the standard strat for final phase? My group is starting to get into that phase now so I'm figuring out what we want to do with the towers.

Right now my plan is to completely baby one of the towers while not really worrying about the other two. Is this viable?

I also heard about sacrificing one of the towers with GA-100. How does that affect the fight and the strategy?

I don't know what other groups do but we basically just stay away from the southern tower. Big balls optical sight gives six Super Hawk Blasters and OT just stays in the middle and eats a stack (I also take the following Laser x Sword solo with a holmgang). Killing off a tower early with GA100 or LXS gives the party more leg room since the multifield is a solid object but otherwise doesn't really change much.

From a cursory glance it just seems dps is kind of low, which kind of echoes previous sentiments. I'm curious why you're using LB2 during Eternal Darkness, since you could just wait a while longer and get an LB3 off on him instead during the pyretic phase and still get enough LB at the end to get another 3 if your fight is going to last 12ish minutes. In our first clear that was over 12m we got two melee LB3's off. Comparing my group's damage on both lbs you're losing like 50k damage it looks like which could help considerably towards getting the clear.

They may be trying to skip the first plasma shield.

Akuun

I don't know what other groups do but we basically just stay away from the southern tower. Big balls optical sight gives six Super Hawk Blasters and OT just stays in the middle and eats a stack (I also take the following Laser x Sword solo with a holmgang). Killing off a tower early with GA100 or LXS gives the party more leg room since the multifield is a solid object but otherwise doesn't really change much.

Cool, thanks. So for the other mechanics, you stay away from teh south tower but don't care about clipping/cleaving the other ones?

And why the south one? I was thinking about babying the northeast tower instead so that the melees have less distance to cover when they have to break away to hide from Propeller Wind.

Does Laser X Sword still knock you back even with Holmgang on?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Cool, thanks. So for the other mechanics, you stay away from teh south tower but don't care about clipping/cleaving the other ones?

And why the south one? I was thinking about babying the northeast tower instead so that the melees have less distance to cover when they have to break away to hide from Propeller Wind.

Does Laser X Sword still knock you back even with Holmgang on?

Southern because we do 1-8 around it? It doesn't really matter of course. If no other towers are standing the tank will drag the boss close to it during laser spam.

Holmgang blocks the knockback.

Akuun

Southern because we do 1-8 around it? It doesn't really matter of course. If no other towers are standing the tank will drag the boss close to it during laser spam.

Holmgang blocks the knockback.
Okay, thanks. I was thinking about doing 1-8 around the pillar too, so that lines up with what I had in mind.

And if saccing a pillar to GA-100 doesn't make much difference and just reduces clutter on the map, then I think I will get my group to try that too. Some people in our group have relatively weak raid awareness, so the reduced clutter should help.

Squishy3

I'll grind as many fucking medals as it takes for that stupid outfit
Due to the promiscuous and lore-unfriendly nature of this outfit, we've decided to make the legendary medal drop rate 2% so as not to populate the world with lore-unfriendly costumes. Please be excited.

Thorgal

What's your skill speed? That's 9 GCDs in berserk, which should be doable unless you're way too low on SS or being slightly slow on some of your GCDs.

i realize it is way too low ( SKS ). i misread it at first atnd turns out there was about a 100 distance between my SKS and what was in the guide so no wonder it wouldn't have worked :p

On another note , does anyone here play War on a Controller ?
If yes , What does your Cross hotbar look like ?

Thought the event item was gonna be the car?
What outfit?
I meant if we ever got Cidney's costume for the FFXV event, not that it's a sure thing
Due to the promiscuous and lore-unfriendly nature of this outfit, we've decided to make the legendary medal drop rate 2% so as not to populate the world with lore-unfriendly costumes. Please be excited.
2% Wow, that's like 10 times higher than those fucking yo kai medals

Vitanimus

A quick question about leveling crafting classes - should I try leveling them all somewhat equally so I can be sustainable, or just focus on one class? I'm level 46 in the MSQ but wanna take a break and just relax a bit. I leveled to 16 in CUL, but a lot of the materials are all store bought - unless I level Botanist... but then to have the best equips, I should level Armorer and Leatherworking... but I need Mining materials to do those things.

Alternatively, should I just slog through the last bit of the story on the way to level 50?

A quick question about leveling crafting classes - should I try leveling them all somewhat equally so I can be sustainable, or just focus on one class? I'm level 46 in the MSQ but wanna take a break and just relax a bit. I leveled to 16 in CUL, but a lot of the materials are all store bought - unless I level Botanist... but then to have the best equips, I should level Armorer and Leatherworking... but I need Mining materials to do those things.

Alternatively, should I just slog through the last bit of the story on the way to level 50?

It's either leveling up all the crafting and gathering classes (and ideally leveling up a retainer too) or being prepared to spend a bunch of gil on the market board. (Or if you just want to level up one crafter you can use the Ixal quests, but there's only so many of those you can do a day.)

Omni

Have everyone sit down, review recordings, and go through what they're doing in the fight after towers pop up since that's when the soft enrage timer starts. The one thing I noticed is your MCH drops Wildfire on the boss during Propeller Wind. This is bad, because he jumps for Limit Cut before WF explodes, meaning the entire Wildfire is lost (and he jumps at about 5 seconds left on WF which means a good chance your MCH is losing buffs on other GCDs too.) WF getting lost to an unexpected early phase push would be one thing, but Limit Cut after Propeller Wind is expected and cooldowns should be held accordingly. It might just be a matter of seeing things a few more times, but if you have somebody on voice who can remind people when Limit Cut is coming, it might help.

Learning when Limit Cut happens and making sure nobody blows CDs before one will gain you some damage, which seems to be mostly what you need.

It's really down to improving DPS. WAR, MCH and BLM are major suspects, but it's hard to tell without seeing the logs. Most groups kill it before the second GA-100 so they don't care about preserving towers much, the run in the video could've gone half a minute longer than that if the last tower didn't get clipped at the end. It's kinda hard to give advice on what happens after that because... well, pretty much nobody sees it, the solution is to kill it before that becomes a problem.

Edit: It's actually impossible to find a clear that goes for another rotation, even the slowest clear on FFlogs kills the boss before GA-100, so I think nobody got around to figuring a better tower strategy as it's simpler to just kill the boss.

From a cursory glance it just seems dps is kind of low, which kind of echoes previous sentiments. I'm curious why you're using LB2 during Eternal Darkness, since you could just wait a while longer and get an LB3 off on him instead during the pyretic phase and still get enough LB at the end to get another 3 if your fight is going to last 12ish minutes. In our first clear that was over 12m we got two melee LB3's off. Comparing my group's damage on both lbs you're losing like 50k damage it looks like which could help considerably towards getting the clear.

Gonna echo the MCH stuff said, it's important to know the rotation as the DPS because there are two limit cuts very close together in the last phase that you don't wanna use any big cooldowns around. I wait until both limit cuts are done to wildfire again on that last phase, and being sure to maximize your hypercharge uptime with everyone dpsing the boss will help.

On the plus side healing seems fine, so I really think it comes down to the question of are the dps pulling their weight or not.
Thanks for the input, guys! That LB2 is to skip the first plasma shield to make it easier for us healers apparently (I don't think we really needed the help but). I suggested we just wait for LB3 next time and I think that's the plan. Hopefully the clear happens this week D:

On another note , does anyone here play War on a Controller ?
If yes , What does your Cross hotbar look like ?
Don't mind the glamour, haha. But here!

Basic idea is that most important stuff is on the first hotbar. CDs are on trigger shortcuts and I've got the extra horizontal and vertical bars letting me know when stuff is ready to use. I've tried to keep things as close to my DRK one as possible, which is why it seems a bit muddled.

RS3ABAW.png

EYcuklh.png

KNEXAzV.png

Qvoth

I still can't clear A11s with my static. I recorded one of our better runs today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpr1HGkDtI

Anyone able to tell if there's any glaring issues that can help us beat it finally? Mostly that last phase. I know I should DPS more, but I tend to be a bit conservative on the first clear. I tried to push harder on other runs tonight but it didn't help any. That second G-100 or whatever keeps wiping us

tell your drg to not use litany on lapis lazuli, the dps check isn't that tight actually, right after litany ends is more optimal imo
save lb2 during eternal darkness for lb3 instead, i've experienced a few times in rf where the dps is good, we skipped phases etc but still wipe in last phase because of 2nd ga-100 that breaks the last pillar (jp strats leaves the south pillar standing)
i'm a blm, so i always aim to use my big cooldowns(raging strike, convert) for periods of time where we don't have to move much, so i usually use them at the start, during eternal darkness, and finally after the final add dies on the final phase

for 1-8 numbers blassty charge, i've seen monks that hit the boss when it attacks the odd numbers probably to keep their gl stacks

not sure your team use pots or not

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I really want to learn how to play on the gamepad, but starting from setting up all shortcuts for a lv 60 BLM/SMN feels pretty overwhelming. Can anyone share their tested set of shortcuts (just BLM would be enough).

Jaeyden

Level Botanist and Miner now along with any other crafting class you want. As long as you continue to level your Bot and Min you wont be spending much on the Market Board for your crafts.

Thorgal

Thanks for the input, guys! That LB2 is to skip the first plasma shield to make it easier for us healers apparently (I don't think we really needed the help but). I suggested we just wait for LB3 next time and I think that's the plan. Hopefully the clear happens this week D:

Don't mind the glamour, haha. But here!

Basic idea is that most important stuff is on the first hotbar. CDs are on trigger shortcuts and I've got the extra horizontal and vertical bars letting me know when stuff is ready to use. I've tried to keep things as close to my DRK one as possible, which is why it seems a bit muddled.

RS3ABAW.png

EYcuklh.png

KNEXAzV.png

Ty.

Will give this a shot once I get home.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Hey everyone, I just resubbed and I'm playing catch up. Is there a time where it's possible to get groups together to clear stuff? I'm trying to do Alexander story mode and it seems like getting a group for A7 is impossible on Duty Finder at the moment. Not sure yet about later ones. I haven't tried any of the Heavensward Ex trials but I'm not sure I can be bothered this time.

IvorB

I really want to learn how to play on the gamepad, but starting from setting up all shortcuts for a lv 60 BLM/SMN feels pretty overwhelming. Can anyone share their tested set of shortcuts (just BLM would be enough).

Well you can have mine for what they're worth.

Everything that needs to be monitored (cool downs) and most commonly used at the front:

yE856r2.jpg

Other stuff at the back:

bYQaE8V.jpg

qXw5L9B.jpg

Only issue I have is if you are level-synched down to where you don't have Thunder 3 you but have Thundercloud you will need to watch out for when Thundercloud procs (see the notification on screen) as you won't see the Thunder 1/2 icons highlighted. Otherwise it works pretty well for me.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thank you for these, I'll definitely check out how that setup would work for me.

As for monitoring cooldowns, according to this great guide, it's a good idea to have additional shortcut bars with skills that have cooldowns/procs, to be able to always see their status.

Unrelated, but Palace of the Dead definitely feels like the best "long term" addition to the game for the non-raiding folk in months. I got my MCH from 53 to 60 almost exclusively through there, all while earning quite a bit of cash through drops/matters, my PotD gear to 99/99 which means a high ilv level for my main. The balance of floors 51+ also feels much better than that in the second half of 1-50 - each set is shorter, but maybe that's because there's no need to level up.

IvorB

Thank you for these, I'll definitely check out how that setup would work for me.

As for monitoring cooldowns, according to this great guide, it's a good idea to have additional shortcut bars with skills that have cooldowns/procs, to be able to always see their status.

No worries. I've seen people with those side bars but I don't have a need for them since everything I need to monitor is at the front and I don't want a lot of clutter on my screen. Except the Thunder thing I mention but I generally avoid doing level-synched content on BLM so it's fine.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
What was even the point of adding Diadem-unique fish when they aren't even required for 100% log completion and... aren't really used for anything with one obvious exception?

Oh well guess I'll keep this Eurhinosaur as a pet?

Level 50!

I don't know whether I should continue the MSQ with my lvl 50 dragoon or wait until I buy Heavensward on friday. I could switch to monk in the meantime and level that.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Level 50!

I don't know whether I should continue the MSQ with my lvl 50 dragoon or wait until I buy Heavensward on friday. I could switch to monk in the meantime and level that.
You'd lose a bit of the exp (which you can later easily recoup through PotD), but I strongly recommend finishing the main story part of the main game, since you probably have quite a bit left. If you leave the rest of lv 50 MSQs until you get HW, you probably won't be able to go to new areas for a day or two after getting the expansion.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The general rule is to follow other people and leaving pomanders to others if you're not feeling confident. Try to not stand/walk to close to others, because you're party's luck is bad, it's easy for everyone to die from a trap -> chest trap, at least at the beginning.

Here's my super messy HUD. I thought about going to a controller as well, but I'm too used to keyboard at this point. I use one for gathering, though. I should probably actually use that Stone macro I have, but ehh.

Emote bar is very important.

The general rule is to follow other people and leaving pomanders to others if you're not feeling confident. Try to not stand/walk to close to others, because you're party's luck is bad, it's easy for everyone to die from a trap -> chest trap, at least at the beginning.

Another good tip is to hug the walls if you don't have sight up and are unsure about traps.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Another good tip is to hug the walls if you don't have sight up and are unsure about traps.
That's a really good point. I never realized that the Crisis Core evasion strategy (if you hugged walls, nothing would attack you iirc) would work in PotD, since traps are more likely further from walls.

You'd lose a bit of the exp (which you can later easily recoup through PotD), but I strongly recommend finishing the main story part of the main game, since you probably have quite a bit left. If you leave the rest of lv 50 MSQs until you get HW, you probably won't be able to go to new areas for a day or two after getting the expansion.

Thanks

What's the purpose of the Palace of the Dead? I thought the experience and equipment you acquire in it was not permanent. I checked the guide to which you linked, but it doesn't answer that basic question.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks

What's the purpose of the Palace of the Dead? I thought the experience and equipment you acquire in it was not permanent. I checked the guide to which you linked, but it doesn't answer that basic question.
The FFXIV Wiki article about PotD might be even better than that wiki.

The rewards part lists everything you can get based on the level of the class you're using.
When is the live letter?
Friday, November 25, 2016 at 3:00 a.m. (PST)

Thanks

There are a few reasons.

a.) It will give you EXP for completing a set of floors. It's actually a very good way to level up your lower leveled DPS classes.
b.) It's a good source of materia, including grade 5 materia. If you don't want them, you could always sell them on the MB for a quick and easy bit of gil.
c.) There's also the i235 and i255 weapons, if you want them.

I also just find it fun.

The FFXIV Wiki article about PotD might be even better than that wiki.

The rewards part lists everything you can get based on the level of the class you're using.

Friday, November 25, 2016 at 3:00 a.m. (PST)

There are a few reasons.

a.) It will give you EXP for completing a set of floors. It's actually a very good way to level up your lower leveled DPS classes.
b.) It's a good source of materia, including grade 5 materia. If you don't want them, you could always sell them on the MB for a quick and easy bit of gil.
c.) There's also the i235 and i255 weapons, if you want them.

I also just find it fun.

Thanks!

Also, I've been wanting to ask this: does the game have a remixed track of the volcano dungeon from the original Final Fantasy? I'm talking about this one.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Level 50!

There are a TON of main story quests between level 50 and getting access to Heavensward areas. I would not stop grinding through them.

There are a ton of side quests throughout HW areas to help you get extra experience to get to lol 60. Many of these side quests will also provide gear for 50-60 as well.

There are a TON of main story quests between level 50 and getting access to Heavensward areas. I would not stop grinding through them.

There are a ton of side quests throughout HW areas to help you get extra experience to get to lol 60. Many of these side quests will also provide gear for 50-60 as well.

Alright, thanks.

I just tried the new combo I got by reaching 50 (the three skills executed successively). It seems to be doing the same amount of damage as the previous one (with the level 1, 4 and 26 skills). I presume there's something I am not understanding. How do I effectively use the new combo?

Alright, thanks.

I just tried the new combo I got by reaching 50 (the three skills executed successively). It seems to be doing the same amount of damage as the previous one (with the level 1, 4 and 26 skills). I presume there's something I am not understanding. How do I effectively use the new combo?
You use it after you apply Heavy Thrust to get a piercing debuff and the Chaos Thrust damage over time effect;.

Leunam

Alright, thanks.

Your new combo applies a piercing debuff and a damage over time. The other combo is going to be your main source of damage and you only reapply your new combo as the buff and dot begin to fall off.

And always apply Heavy Thrust when it's about to fall off, you want it up through all three (later four) hits of your combo. You'll get an idea of when you need to refresh those timers the more you practice. I've been focused on my Monk and Summoner, but if I remember right when I was playing Dragoon I could get two rotations out before needing to reapply Chaos Thrust.

Also, Dragoon is slow as molasses compared to Monk and Ninja, you have time between hits to comfortably use two cooldowns to buff yourself.

You use it after you apply Heavy Thrust to get a piercing debuff and the Chaos Thrust damage over time effect;.

Your new combo applies a piercing debuff and a damage over time. The other combo is going to be your main source of damage and you only reapply your new combo as the buff and dot begin to fall off.

And always apply Heavy Thrust when it's about to fall off, you want it up through all three (later four) hits of your combo. You'll get an idea of when you need to refresh those timers the more you practice. I've been focused on my Monk and Summoner, but if I remember right when I was playing Dragoon I could get two rotations out before needing to reapply Chaos Thrust.

Also, Dragoon is slow as molasses compared to Monk and Ninja, you have time between hits to comfortably use two cooldowns to buff yourself.

Thanks!

What about the jump skills from the Dragoon job? Should I use those?

Leunam

Thanks!

What about the jump skills from the Dragoon job? Should I use those?

Pretty much on cooldown.

Dragoons have a reputation for being killed by AoE because of the animation lock from Jump. If you anticipate an AoE coming up that you have to move out of you might want to hold off for a moment or two. Again, it'll come down to practice. Spineshatter and Dragonfire Dive are nice for closing the gap too, but don't rely on them for that, use them on cooldown while keeping in mind any AoE or other mechanics that are coming up. Later on you'll be able to get more stylish with those jumps paired with Elusive Jump. That's half the fun for me.

Lastly, Power Surge is on a one minute cooldown and Jump is on thirty seconds. Always pair these up. Every other Jump will be unbuffed, but there isn't a better use for Power Surge. You can buff Spineshatter Dive, but Jump is higher potency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom