• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Others above have mentioned it can be for useful for obtaining gil (for housing/apartments, expensive items on the marketboard etc) but the best thing about having all crafters up for me is being able to repair your gear on the go.

I've only got them up to 50 (apart from weaver who is at 60 and leatherworker who is at 57) but it's such a useful thing to be able to repair my gear in instances.

How many hours did it take you to get them there?

garath

some ninja glamours courtesy of Eozea Collection :

hl9kqiD.png

oyzagQt.png

JsSfWuh.png

xbKegPj.png

1LWr4l4.png

Whoa. I love 1 and 4. Where do you get these? I have a 33 ninja. Still a newbie.

Edit: ah. Looks like just collecting certain pieces of armor. Guess it's time to do some research

Ogawa-san

Something I wish I knew about crafting before starting my quest to all DoH to 60 is that if you want to make money off it, there's no half-assing. You either go all the way or you don't.

You somehow survive courier leves and Ixali quests sending you all over the world and the daily temptation of a mogglicide for god knows how many weeks and get to 60 (with them all - again, no half-assing). Your first job is to make a set of gear so you have a set of gear that allows you to make the set of gear that allows you to make the set of gear you need to make anything useful, profitable or interesting. And then meld it. Oh, the melding... Eight, maybe nine digits of gil worth of materia, 80% of them lost in the process because there isn't a chance to fail overmelding, there's a chance to succeed.

In between all that you're farming things you need to buy most of those 4 tomes (per profession) with the recipes for - again - anything useful, profitable or interesting. Mostly collectables for scrips, or how you'll discover interesting podcasts and realize the power of crafting macros in the process of saving your sanity.

And of course, you also have DoL professions because it fits into the all-or-nothing thing. Unspoiled nodes, please look forward to them.

Or you can do what I did and get to max level just to settle for having the ability of making your own glamour crystals, melding and repairing your own gear, and gathering your own maps. Considering I've spent most of my time with XIV messing with professions instead of saving the world and glamouring, I'd say it's not quite worth it for these alone.

Thorgal

Whoa. I love 1 and 4. Where do you get these? I have a 33 ninja. Still a newbie.

Edit: ah. Looks like just collecting certain pieces of armor. Guess it's time to do some research

once you reach level 50 you can do a side quest in Mor Dhona that unlocks Glamours .

it is a system that allows you to take a piece of armor and give it the appearance of another armor .

and yes most of those looks are created by mixing and matching different pieces and dye them .

all of these items on the examples i posted are in game so nothing from Mogstation .

A couple of months, maybe a bit longer? This was just taking it slow at first but then ended up wanting to try to get them all to 50 before heavensward came out so asked for help in the free company with getting levequest items made to trade in as well as doing ixal daily quests.

Weaver 50 - 60 took about a month with just moogle daily quests and grand company trade ins. I'd probably have leatherworker up further but taken a little break from beastquests and grand company turn ins since I got moogle up to sworn reputation recently.

I don't think I did many/any collectable trade ins with weaver but I know from doing it on miner that it can give a decent amount of XP too.

This is just what was best for me of course, just work on it slowly as I played.

iammeiam

Something I wish I knew about crafting before starting my quest to all DoH to 60 is that if you want to make money off it, there's no half-assing. You either go all the way or you don't.

As a career lazy person, I kind of disagree. If you want to play in the big markets with the multi-million-gil items and controlling the economy and all then, yeah, go all-in. But if you just want to make enough money to keep you in raid consumables, there are usually a number of smaller but steady markets.

The absolute best moneymaker I've run into has been LTW desynth. Blowing up shoes from the Ul'dah vendor is still the most cost-effective way to get FC3s that I know of, with prices spiking every time hey introduce new recipes that use them, and that just requires getting LTW to 30 and unlocking desynth. It ebbs and flows, but I went from flat broke the first week of 3.4 to a few million up playing the FC3 market.

I make a ridiculous amount of money off Xpots, too, which don't require much in the way of gear at 60. It's probably a testament to how messed up HW consumable crafting is that they're still going for 5-7k. New recipes using old level 50 mats also mean there's usually a few markets available for decent enough profit to keep you going.

If you want to srs crafter it's kind of a nightmare, but there're ways to get money out of the process without going all-in on everything.

And seriously the number of times I've let my accessories break mid-raid, being able to self-repair has been a lifesaver. I could be more responsible but, you know, lazy.

Should note that crafting isn't necessary to play the game or anything. It's if you want to make stuff or get lots of money on the market.

Stuff from quests/dungeons/normal playing give me more than enough gil for teleporting/repair costs and all that maintenance type stuff.

I have a level 9 Armorer and don't feel that I'm missing out on the main story/battle content or anything by not crafting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
You don't need top tier to overmelded gear to make money with crafting. Housing items and other items that aren't four star can make you plenty.

Hey thread, I have a question about jobs.

I just reached lvl 30 on my character, an arcanist, and now I need to decide what job to branch into. On one hand, scholar would fit our friends party's need for a healer, I'll enjoy short queues, and I get to nurture my martyr complex. On the other hand, summoner gets to hurt stuff and summon a tank, which is pretty enticing considering I'm still in the part of the game that is 90% solo content.

The game told me my job level is tied to the base class level. When I get exp as a scholar, it tells me "x arcanist experience earned". Does that mean that when I level as a scholar, I'm actually increasing my arcanist level and thus also indirectly my summoner level? And vice versa? Or is that too good to be true?

Thorgal

I just reached lvl 30 on my character, an arcanist, and now I need to decide what job to branch into. On one hand, scholar would fit our friends party's need for a healer, I'll enjoy short queues, and I get to nurture my martyr complex. On the other hand, summoner gets to hurt stuff and summon a tank, which is pretty enticing considering I'm still in the part of the game that is 90% solo content.

The game told me my job level is tied to the base class level. When I get exp as a scholar, it tells me "x arcanist experience earned". Does that mean that when I level as a scholar, I'm actually increasing my arcanist level and thus also indirectly my summoner level? And vice versa? Or is that too good to be true?

yes , Arcanist will level both summoner and sholar .

It is also the primary reason why SE wants to get rid of classes since balancing those 2 is a nightmare for them .

Reknoc

Nope that's exactly it, you can pretty much switch whenever the mood takes you since a lot of the gear up to 50 for all casters is shared.

Yes, get 60 scholar have 60 summoner for free!

Awesome, thats great to hear!

One more question: I've been putting my attribute points into int so far, but as a scholar I probably want all of them in mind instead. I know I can reset my stats with an item I can buy at the grand company vendor, but if I'm going to flip back and forth that cost is gonna add up. Is there a better way to change my attribute investments?

Thorgal

One more question: I've been putting my attribute points into int so far, but as a scholar I probably want all of them in mind instead. I know I can reset my stats with an item I can buy at the grand company vendor, but if I'm going to flip back and forth that cost is gonna add up. Is there a better way to change my attribute investments?

If you never plan to do hardcore raiding I would just split them and forget about them.

iammeiam

They don't matter that much. Your attribute bonus points at endgame amount to less than half of an accessory, so their actual value is pretty negligible. In general you'll get more out of 30 INT on SMN than you would 30 MND on SCH given that bigger heals don't matter if smaller ones would keep everyone alive, while bigger damage will always push for faster kills. You can switch to mind if you decide you want to full time heal, but if you're splitting your attention no decision will break you.

yaffi

The cost for that item is literally nothing (200! seals).

Should note that crafting isn't necessary to play the game or anything. It's if you want to make stuff or get lots of money on the market.

Stuff from quests/dungeons/normal playing give me more than enough gil for teleporting/repair costs and all that maintenance type stuff.

I have a level 9 Armorer and don't feel that I'm missing out on the main story/battle content or anything by not crafting.

Yeah, I don't think I'll dabble too much with these classes. We'll see. I'm just interested in the combat and the story.

Nohar

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to thank you once again for your help. We are doing better on our runs on Alexander Savage (A9S definitely won't be a problem anymore), though there is still quite a lot of room for improvement (DPS still kinda low), and a few other issues which should be dealt with in the following days (some members are learning to play their job better, and... well, we will see how one of us in particular will improve; I know that our raid leader had a much needed chat with them). We are currently training on A10S, and we hope to down it in less time that A9S. Also got my BiS Necklace (can't equip it sadly without replacing all of my materias because of accuracy issues, gotta change -something- before that, next week should be good... urg, this is actually trickier than I thought)! Logs here.

Now, on A10S: our WAR has trouble tacking back the aggro from our DRK when the boss needs to be swapped (with our DRK getting away to diminish the damage from the tethered attack). What should the tanks do to switch aggro easily? He never had this kind of problem before and is quite annoyed by it. I tried to advise to use Provoke and keeping "Butcher's Block" ready, but it doesn't seem to be enough, and we are rather puzzled as to why he has trouble getting back the aggro. Should our DRK drop tank stance early? What can we do?

hampig

I just bought the game on my PS4, had the game a few years ago for PC. Decided to download the client on both so I can choose which I want to play on depending on my mood.

Both are giving me errors when I'm updating on both. I'm not 100% on what the PC error says, but the PS4 one says this:

Unable To Download Patch Files. [20512][25008][20495]

I've looked around for solutions and found nothing. Does anyone here have any potential solutions? I've tried 3 times now on both platforms and got the errors each time.

Squishy3

I just bought the game on my PS4, had the game a few years ago for PC. Decided to download the client on both so I can choose which I want to play on depending on my mood.

Both are giving me errors when I'm updating on both. I'm not 100% on what the PC error says, but the PS4 one says this:

I've looked around for solutions and found nothing. Does anyone here have any potential solutions? I've tried 3 times now on both platforms and got the errors each time.

General workaround on PC is temporarily use a VPN to login and patch, not sure what you can do for PS4.

Ken

another user had issues and they said this worked for them

Hey, just to let you know that it would probably help some other poor souls if you added to the OP the solution to the patch download error on PS4. I had to switch my DNS server to one from Japan; specifically, this address: 221.186.113.106.

I was able to replicate its success a second time after I tried Google's DNS to speed up the download (which kept giving me failures still), so it should be reliable.

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I live in Canada.

cheers

I've had this exact issue! I switched my DNS address to one from Japan, namely, this one: 221.186.113.106. And it worked. Try it!

Raiding drops nothing for me qq. I think I'm more than capable to do a12s but I'm so casual time wise that I'll settle for a11s clears which ...i have not done due to time. Had to leave my fc static that's now on a12s due to anticipating that work would get super busy during the holiday season and ofc it didn't

https://www.fflogs.com/rankings/character/328361/latest
All in 256 gear qq

I'm sure I can push 95th percentile for bard with just just some upgrades but I'll have to wait like 5 weeks.

Vitanimus

Man, the MSQ run up to the Titan fight is really lame and stretched out. For a good majority of it, I completely forgot why I was running around doing these meagre tasks. Why do I need to run about collecting wine for you to tell me about NPC 2 minutes away, and force me to run back and forth at least 3 times between said characters?

What made it worse was the narrative aspect of it: surprise! We INTENTIONALLY made it as annoying and drab as possible, just so we could test you were REALLY ready to face Titan! How cheap. At least the fight itself is really fun.

I get that it's an MMO, and a FF at that, but I really hope this trend doesn't continue as I advance more into the game, ie dangle interesting plot point --> don't discuss plot point until you've done at least 2.5 hours of fetch quests and other things completely unrelated to said plot point. I can't play this weekend so maybe I'll feel a bit more invigorated to play after I've had a break.

Man, the MSQ run up to the Titan fight is really lame and stretched out. For a good majority of it, I completely forgot why I was running around doing these meagre tasks. Why do I need to run about collecting wine for you to tell me about NPC 2 minutes away, and force me to run back and forth at least 3 times between said characters?

What made it worse was the narrative aspect of it: surprise! We INTENTIONALLY made it as annoying and drab as possible, just so we could test you were REALLY ready to face Titan! How cheap. At least the fight itself is really fun.

I get that it's an MMO, and a FF at that, but I really hope this trend doesn't continue as I advance more into the game, ie dangle interesting plot point --> don't discuss plot point until you've done at least 2.5 hours of fetch quests and other things completely unrelated to said plot point. I can't play this weekend so maybe I'll feel a bit more invigorated to play after I've had a break.

Dude, this is exactly where I am and I also told myself the same thing. I've been on that quest for most of the day.

I really really hope Heavensward improves on that front.

Ha ha. That's by far the worst stretch of the MSQ. Post 2.0 and especially in Heavensward the MSQ was vastly improved so there's little if any running around for dumb stuff and the story and things you do in it are considerably more interesting.

Post titan it gets better...until you hit the end of 2.0 (first credits) until 2.55.

Heavenward though is great and much better

Moaradin

2.3 is when they started finding their groove with that stuff. Heavensward is a treat from beginning to end. The patches as well. Never felt like the MSQ was ever wasting my time.

2.3 is when they started finding their groove with that stuff. Heavensward is a treat from beginning to end. The patches as well. Never felt like the MSQ was ever wasting my time.

I think there are a few points where Alphinaud says something about some menial activity and how he'll handle it instead.

garath

I'm right there too. It's pretty bad. I'm basically forcing myself to play it right now.

Hikami

I just got through all that a few days ago myself. Definitely worth going through it for Heavensward. It starts getting really good the latter half of the story between ARR and HW.

Heavensward itself so far has been great. Huge step up in story quality and gameplay quality. Like it has already been said, MSQs don't feel like they waste my time like some did previously. Then there's the dungeons and trials I've done so far that have left me going "Wow, that was awesome. I want to do it again." when I finished them.

wamberz1

Just beat base heavensward, man that was incredible. the last few dungeons were a blast. Great story all around. That stinger had me going WTF.
The fight against
Thordan
was epic as shit but I wish it had been a bit harder. Feel like i downed them in like 3 minutes.

Whats the best way to get gear from here on out? I've already got my POTD weapon, but does the MSQ continue to give you gear like 2.X MSQ's? Or should I find a dungeon to repeatedly run?

Just beat base heavensward, man that was incredible. the last few dungeons were a blast. Great story all around. That stinger had me going WTF.
The fight against
Thordan
was epic as shit but I wish it had been a bit harder. Feel like i downed them in like 3 minutes.

Whats the best way to get gear from here on out? I've already got my POTD weapon, but does the MSQ continue to give you gear like 2.X MSQ's? Or should I find a dungeon to repeatedly run?

The 3.x MSQ does not give out gear; that was something added to the 2.x MSQ after the release of Heavensward, I believe, to help new players catch up to the expansion faster. Grinding a dungeon for gear drops isn't a good way to spend time either. The easiest way to start gearing up is to exchange the Centurio seals you get for doing elite marks for gear at the Forgotten Knight. That'll let you start tackling level 60 content and amassing tomes of lore that you can exchange at Idyllshire for higher item level gear.

Critical Elk

Neo Member
Now, on A10S: our WAR has trouble tacking back the aggro from our DRK when the boss needs to be swapped (with our DRK getting away to diminish the damage from the tethered attack). What should the tanks do to switch aggro easily? He never had this kind of problem before and is quite annoyed by it. I tried to advise to use Provoke and keeping "Butcher's Block" ready, but it doesn't seem to be enough, and we are rather puzzled as to why he has trouble getting back the aggro. Should our DRK drop tank stance early? What can we do?

The big thing is that the drk needs to completely disengage when the tether goes out, and start running off. You can make it a bit easier if both tanks swap stances a bit before the swap, and the war should definitely be prepriming his combo. The only issue is that the timing on keeping a primed butchers block up can be a little tough, so just repeatedly using heavy swing to keep skull sunder primed should be more than enough to establish a hate lead after provoke.

Omni

Tanked Sophia with randoms earlier today...

How hard is it to stop doing your combo for like 1 second when I'm supposed to take hate for the tank buster? It's always the warriors that do this. The game needs to teach players how to tank swap because it's just silly sometimes. And then they wonder why they get hit by the first autoattack and die. Smh

In one of the latest interviews Yoshida mentioend something about DRK having a bar, so they are getting a new resource maybe with the new skills?

I assumed it was referring to mana. Trying to deal with another resource on top of mana would needlessly complicate the job further, IMO.

How hard is it to stop doing your combo for like 1 second when I'm supposed to take hate for the tank buster? It's always the warriors that do this. The game needs to teach players how to tank swap because it's just silly sometimes. And then they wonder why they get hit by the first autoattack and die. Smh

I assumed it was referring to mana. Trying to deal with another resource on top of mana would needlessly complicate the job further, IMO.

I don't think they would add another bar showing your mana when you already have one by default.

The concept behind the bar thing is to have a visual for important job skills like Blood of the Dragon.

Omni

I don't think they would add another bar showing your mana when you already have one by default.

The concept behind the bar thing is to have a visual for important job skills like Blood of the Dragon.
Oh I know, I know. It's just what I was kinda assuming.

I can only hope they rework the job entirely for 4.0 because there are already so many buttons and skills. The thought of managing even more is just getting into silly territory xD

Talaysen

Sometimes Butcher's Block is too slow to get aggro (it won't take effect until the animation is finished, and Butcher's Block has a notably long animation). If he's having issues doing the swap with it, have him try using Skull Sunder instead. Generally I will hit Heavy Swing some time before the swap and sit there until the Prey marker shows up, then immediately Provoke -> Skull Sunder -> (Brutal Swing if up) -> Butcher's Block. That should be enough. The other tank should not attack at all while the swap is going on or they risk taking aggro back. This part is very important. A tank swap requires coordination on both ends, not just the tank using Provoke and taking over. In A10S, the DRK should be running away from the boss at this time anyway.

If that's not enough, you can also have the other tank make sure to have no DoTs up (Scourge for DRK). This generally isn't necessary and will lower overall DPS but it's a pretty small amount and doing the tank swap correctly is far more important, so if there are still problems, try this as well.

Most of these things apply to tank swaps in general. A10S is one of the more strict tank swaps because it has to be done so quickly, whereas most other fights don't require the swap to happen within the span of a few seconds.

Oh I know, I know. It's just what I was kinda assuming.

I can only hope they rework the job entirely for 4.0 because there are already so many buttons and skills. The thought of managing even more is just getting into silly territory xD

IN the interview Yoshi also says the job difficulty at 70 should be where we are now with the jobs at 60. So whatever they are doing the intent is that with the new skills jobs at 70 should not be more difficult than 60.

Not sure how they are going to do that since adding more options seems to be a natural increase in difficulty or using those options effectively.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see what specific changes they are making.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Hello everyone,

It's definitely a 2-way road and DRK should absolutely consider just stopping attacks for a GCD or two when that happens, but here's a hot tip: Provoke then burn Equilibrium and or Second Wind in Defiance. You don't really need much self-healing in that fight, but aggro generation on that 10k crit heal can be absolutely ridiculous. Other than that, yeah, try to game the timing. Unless you're pushing phases things should always happen at the same time. After Roller it's even easier - the add spawns at exactly one minute after Roller dies and then the final voke happens three minutes after Roller dies. Tell the warrior to look at these timings and be ready instead of trying to be completely reactionary.

How hard is it to stop doing your combo for like 1 second when I'm supposed to take hate for the tank buster? It's always the warriors that do this. The game needs to teach players how to tank swap because it's just silly sometimes. And then they wonder why they get hit by the first autoattack and die. Smh.

They could be putting up inner beast. Timing is tight if they don't know when the next TB is coming up and are only looking for the green aura.

Omni

They could be putting up inner beast. Timing is tight if they don't know when the next TB is coming up and are only looking for the green aura.
Naa it was definitely their main damage combo. I was watching the animation. They dropped defiance which is good but they just kept hitting while I provoked. Just makes it messy

I like the idea of an intermediate training thing that goes over this kinda stuff.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Naa it was definitely their main damage combo. I was watching the animation. They dropped defiance which is good but they just kept hitting while I provoked. Just makes it messy

I like the idea of an intermediate training thing that goes over this kinda stuff.

A lot of warriors don't even know how insignificant (and I mean negligible) the personal dps loss is from opting out of using Butcher's Block all the time and just spamming Eye combo instead unless you need aggro. "Hey, BB is higher potency, right? Let me just use that one!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom