• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I remember them adding that a week or so after I got all my classes to lv 30. Still hurts. :(

Rixa

It's probably just better to start over on a different server. Level 20 isn't much, and nowadays you can get a +30% exp (under lv30) ring if you do all the training missions from the Smith (sprout icon in duty recommendations).

Oh wow, yeah going to switch server & start over. I was Thaumaturge, but could do something else. Not sure if I do DPS or something else.

Being EU peasant I think I go to Cerberus.

garath

Plodding along very slowly. I only generally get about an hour of game time per day as it is. Gotta make the most of it. Highest class is 37 ninja.

MSQ I've beaten Titan but it is still so many fetch type quests. Bogged me down. Decided to focus on PotD for a few levels and enjoying that quite a bit. Progression wise I'm up to 31. Did 1-10 a bunch though. Weapon and armor are only +16. Seems too low for the 31 floor. My 21-30 had a person with +99, one with +40 and one with +25. Guess I need to grind 1-30 some more.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Plodding along very slowly. I only generally get about an hour of game time per day as it is. Gotta make the most of it. Highest class is 37 ninja.

MSQ I've beaten Titan but it is still so many fetch type quests. Bogged me down. Decided to focus on PotD for a few levels and enjoying that quite a bit. Progression wise I'm up to 31. Did 1-10 a bunch though. Weapon and armor are only +16. Seems too low for the 31 floor. My 21-30 had a person with +99, one with +40 and one with +25. Guess I need to grind 1-30 some more.
To be honest if you're grinding with parties, I'd suggest going as far as you can. 1-100 content is super easy for a full party, so don't worry too much about your personal gear level.

I tried going in 51+ with a MNK, first by myself to set up hotkeys on action bards (my real MNK is only lv 30). What's weird is that I can set up all Class/Job actions, but not The Forbidden Chakra. I can't drag it from the action menu, and if I make a macro that would allow me to use it, I get a "invalid action name" error (yes, I checked for typos). Tried googling around but couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. Weird.

I tried going in 51+ with a MNK, first by myself to set up hotkeys on action bards (my real MNK is only lv 30). What's weird is that I can set up all Class/Job actions, but not The Forbidden Chakra. I can't drag it from the action menu, and if I make a macro that would allow me to use it, I get a "invalid action name" error (yes, I checked for typos). Tried googling around but couldn't find anyone else with the same problem. Weird.

Forbidden Chakra isn't meant to be placed in the hotbar on its own. Rather, when you have 5 Chakra stacks charged, it automatically replaces the Meditation icon. Once you use it, the icon goes back to being Meditation until you've recharged.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Forbidden Chakra isn't meant to be placed in the hotbar on its own. Rather, when you have 5 Chakra stacks charged, it automatically replaces the Meditation icon. Once you use it, the icon goes back to being Meditation until you've recharged.
Thanks. Killthee just tweeted me that, so I checked and you're both right.
What a weird choice - I don't think I've seen any other action do that, the TFC entry in the action list doesn't mention that... Very confusing if your first MNK 60 experience is PotD, but I assume it's explained when you actually get the skill during regular progression.

Guess Who

Banned

15/16 is fine for 31. You couldn't even get past +30/+30 until two weeks ago, so people with 40 and 99 are actually way OP for those floors (which is maybe why you feel underpowered in comparison).

wamberz1

Just beat 3.3.
Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit when
Ysayle and Haurchefaunt showed up to help pry the eyes from Estinien
. What a fucking boss battle though, jesus. Pugging it was painful but when I finally did it it felt so, so damn good.

Feels good to play this again.

Question, do Poetic gear no longer exist? Idyllshire has completely changed, wtf.

I only just got to Idyllshire for the first time. Your post got me to look up a video of how Idyllshire used to look. It's very cool how it has built up since launch, just like Revenant's Toll.

Just beat 3.3.
Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit when
Ysayle and Haurchefaunt showed up to help pry the eyes from Estinien
. What a fucking boss battle though, jesus. Pugging it was painful but when I finally did it it felt so, so damn good.

The Final Steps of Faith is difficult, but that makes pushing through to victory very satisfying.

aravuus

Wow you weren't kidding, getting the alt class to level 15 was a piece of cake. Took maybe a couple of hours.

Now I can lay the conjurer class to rest and never play as it again.

wamberz1

Wow you weren't kidding, getting the alt class to level 15 was a piece of cake. Took maybe a couple of hours.

How I felt after getting blood for blood from dragoon lol. Hit 34, was like thank god that's over. Never playing DRG again, not for me.

Reknoc

But if you unlock White Mage you get a horsey. Also there's probably some bullshit CNJ spell that's required as a cross class ability that's somewhere in the mid 30s because of course it is.

I'm really not looking forward to getting ACN to 30 so I can get Eye for an Eye. I've been enjoying these healer queues why would you make me go back to the DPS ghetto game :((((((((

Edit: I'm also still salty about getting Blood for Blood. Which almost has a pretty similar name thinking on it.

garath

To be honest if you're grinding with parties, I'd suggest going as far as you can. 1-100 content is super easy for a full party, so don't worry too much about your personal gear level.

15/16 is fine for 31. You couldn't even get past +30/+30 until two weeks ago, so people with 40 and 99 are actually way OP for those floors (which is maybe why you feel underpowered in comparison).

Ah thanks guys. I'll keep pushing forward with a full party. I'm actually looking forward to breaking level 50. Will be nice to get a solid weapon.

It's funny that I'm way higher level in PotD than my main class. I'm making all sorts of on the fly changes to my hotbars and failing miserably at being efficient about it.

I have no idea how I'm going to manage so many active skills. It's been ages since I've played a MMO and I don't really remember it being this many skills lol. EverQuest 2 was my last serious one.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
But if you unlock White Mage you get a horsey. Also there's probably some bullshit CNJ spell that's required as a cross class ability that's somewhere in the mid 30s because of course it is.

That would be stoneskin, which is an okay utility on PLD and mostly worthless on SCH.

RK9039

I only just got to Idyllshire for the first time. Your post got me to look up a video of how Idyllshire used to look. It's very cool how it has built up since launch, just like Revenant's Toll.

Yeah it's a really cool idea, the world itself changes due to story reasons I'm guessing. It was a pleasant surprise.

Idyll was in complete ruins at first but every patch they spruce up the town a bit, adding new buildings and fixing broken ones. Revenant's Toll worked the same way in 2.X

wow, that's cool. I hope they do that again with the hub of Bloodstorm. I want to experience such a thing.

Squishy3

Yeah it's a really cool idea, the world itself changes due to story reasons I'm guessing. It was a pleasant surprise.
It's not so much story reasons, more that every subsequent content patch brings with it the "passing of time." So the place gets repaired a bit. There's never anything acknowledging the growth of Idyllshire in the MSQ, as far as I can remember. Mor Dhona was a little more intwined into the MSQ of the 2.x series while Idyllshire sorta just exists as a place you sometimes go talk to people in the 3.x patches.

Why is it that whenever a player is not doing his or her job, it's always the fucking Tank. Always. I don't know how hard it is playing with this class but Jesus H Christ, your only task is to aggro enemies.

wamberz1

Why is it that whenever a player is not doing his or her job, it's always the fucking Tank. Always. I don't know how hard it is playing with this class but Jesus H Christ, your only task is to aggro enemies.

A bad tank is FAR more noticeable than a bad dps or even healer. Aggro maintenance can be tough before they get tank stance and even afterward due to dps queueing with ridiculous I-levels. They also have the task of leading the group, which means if they don't know the dungeon it's a bad time. I consider it easily the hardest of the three roles pre-endgame.
But yeah, if a tank doesn't know what they're doing it's rough. I would recommend people do their research first before trying it out.

How much you notice everyone else's skill is really dependent on your role, imo, but bad tanks are certainly the most noticeable. I notice the bad healers because I play WHM and I kinda need to know what the other healer's doing. Mostly just people who are spamming their regens (and stealing aggro) or just overhealing in general.

And then there's this lot:

6kGGBb5.gif

SkyOdin

A bad tank is FAR more noticeable than a bad dps or even healer. Aggro maintenance can be tough before they get tank stance and even afterward due to dps queueing with ridiculous I-levels. They also have the task of leading the group, which means if they don't know the dungeon it's a bad time. I consider it easily the hardest of the three roles pre-endgame.
But yeah, if a tank doesn't know what they're doing it's rough. I would recommend people do their research first before trying it out.

Tanking can be tough to learn because it requires a very different mindset than DPSing. When you are DPSing, you mostly need to know how to execute an attack rotation to perfection. You of course need to learn the intricacies of tough fights to keep it up efficiently and effectively, but other than that it is mostly a matter of getting your attack rotation down perfectly.

Tanking requires mentally tracking how much aggro everyone is generating and making constant adjustments to your actions to compensate. You can't really let yourself get bottled into a single way of doing things, since you are always running into different healers and DPS who do things in different ways. The most basic skill of a tank is developing a general situational awareness that borders on instinct for when you are about to lose aggro. It took me a lot of practice to get the hang of tanking.

Hikami

Bolded is your problem, try playing a tank and you'll see it's usually not the tanks fault for losing aggro.
Playing all three roles in general changes your perspective of things.

The DPS could be hitting other enemies than the tank, pulling aggro from them. The healers could be overhealing for no reason, also pulling aggro from them. The tank could also just be lower leveled while everyone else is synced down and has OP gear that makes them take aggro easier. Tanks also have very few ways to generate enmity at lower levels.

There could be some bad tanks, sure. But it's not always their fault.

I started off as a tank and switched to DPS because of this. It's stressful and everything's apparently your fault.

Omni

Yeah. My tanks are i250 and I've tanked almost every trial and raid in the game. Those early levels are terrible. I won't touch WAR or PLD under 30. No fun at all.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I played DPS classes most of the time and tried tanking up to lv 30 some time ago.
Despite knowing how things work in theory it was very hard, since no matter what I did I could not maintain aggro in some groups. Never criticized a tank after that. That said, I think I've only ran into a few really bad ones.

Moaradin

Tanking before you get the tank stance is rough. Don't know why they make you wait until level 40 before you can do a decent job at holding aggro.

Basically you better get used to marking each enemy and hope the DPS attacks the right one.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Tanking before you get the tank stance is rough. Don't know why they make you wait until level 40 before you can do a decent job at holding aggro.

Basically you better get used to marking each enemy and hope the DPS attacks the right one.

They never do. Just flash more.

SkyOdin

I was lucky when I was first leveling GLD. People still used Sleep/Repose back then. Those helped a ton in the early levels. After the first few months of the game though, everyone started to focus on speed and everyone totally forgot about sleep's existence outside of PvP.

aceface

Picked up the flying head mount with my potsherds tonight, then while doing unsynched trials for my book I got the Nightmare pony and the Ravana bird. Then I got 2 lines for the Dress-up Alisae! It was a good night.

Zuly

I was lucky when I was first leveling GLD. People still used Sleep/Repose back then. Those helped a ton in the early levels. After the first few months of the game though, everyone started to focus on speed and everyone totally forgot about sleep's existence outside of PvP.

I would use Repose when I first started because I heard about how hard is it for tanks to maintain aggro on the first levels, then some Thaumaturge would use Fire II when it's only 3 enemies and the tank would lose aggro on everything.

Hikami

Just had an amazing moment. So glad I had shadowplay on so I could save it.

https://streamable.com/4uzy

Floor 80 boss of PotD, everyone but me dies. If we wipe here, we have to do all those floors again. Heart was pumping and my hands were shaking. Even more panic when I remember it can enrage. Somehow managed to pull it off.

Redx508

Just had an amazing moment. So glad I had shadowplay on so I could save it.

https://streamable.com/4uzy

Floor 80 boss of PotD, everyone but me dies. If we wipe here, we have to do all those floors again. Heart was pumping and my hands were shaking. Even more panic when I remember it can enrage. Somehow managed to pull it off.

WOW! good job

i want to hear the panic in voice chat LOL

Leunam

I've never marked enemies. I just rotate enmity combos on different targets. Maintaining aggro in those situations isn't so bad.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Actually, your tasks are to aggro enemies, position things properly, and take acceptable amounts of damage, given the situation.

The problem is that other people in the party can easily make the tank's job harder, without realizing it's making the tank's job harder. Things like running wide circles away from the tank when you pull aggro, Medica II pre-pull, standing next to the tank, or popping all cooldowns in a trash pull when the tank has only Shield Lobbed one target (which would aggro enemies to you) all fall into this category.

It's easy for a non-tank to go "OMG YOU HAD ONE JOB WHY ARE YOU SO BAD" but from the tank's perspective, you or someone else in the party may be screwing him over. A good tank needs to take extra steps to cover for what effectively amounts to party members being inconsiderate or ignorant, but an average or new tank may not have the knowledge or awareness to take those steps. So therefore they get blamed as "bad" when in fact other people are making their job harder and blaming them for not being able to handle the additional burden.

Omni

If anyone knows a group that needs a main healer for A9-11s clears this week, lemme know. Can RF or something.

Not running with my static this week

aravuus

First ever dungeon done, the one that's part of an early MSQ. Astasha or something.

It was easy but surprisingly a lot of fun. Might try and get into the dungeon stuff more when more of them start opening up. Gotta check out some strategies beforehand though since I'll probably be playing with randos.

wamberz1

First ever dungeon done, the one that's part of an early MSQ. Astasha or something.

It was easy but surprisingly a lot of fun. Might try and get into the dungeon stuff more when more of them start opening up. Gotta check out some strategies beforehand though since I'll probably be playing with randos.
Yeah that's a good idea. Especially when you start unlocking trials. It just saves everyone the time of having to explain the fight to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom