• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is "static burn-out" a thing?

Yes. When you're not making the progress you think you should be making, when nothing quite goes according to plan, discontent rises. People eventually just stop showing up or even leave the game altogether. Same as getting burned out on the game itself.

Vanethyr

Eeeeep!

Just happened to be passing through the Square Enix store when registering my FFXV code and noticed the Encyclopedia Eorzea was back in stock (in Europe at least)! Don't think I've ever jumped on buying a book so fast before, super stoked for tomorrow now :D

That mailing list was totally helpful in telling me it was available again though, thanks for nothing... >.>

I see the Realm Reborn and Heavensward artbooks are back too, hopefully they last long enough until my next payday >.<

The worst is when you can't progress because everyone else keeps screwing up. Statics are a great team effort and I'm still with my 1st static. We're a good group but progression takes too long sometimes and we have stupid wipes. I'm really burnt out on the game but I still raid with them so I have something to do and I know we can clear the whole tier if people get their act together. I have thankfully only had once instance of "static drama" so far but other than that my group is super chill and we're obviously a group that has never raided extensively before. I think progressing last phase in a11s for a supposedly "casual group" is going very well. I feel like we should have cleared long ago but that's life... and well dps dying xD.

Hikami

I've been leveling a Ninja up recently, the job quests are so interesting. Much more than the others jobs I've done.

Eeeeep!

Just happened to be passing through the Square Enix store when registering my FFXV code and noticed the Encyclopedia Eorzea was back in stock (in Europe at least)! Don't think I've ever jumped on buying a book so fast before, super stoked for tomorrow now :D

That mailing list was totally helpful in telling me it was available again though, thanks for nothing... >.>

I see the Realm Reborn and Heavensward artbooks are back too, hopefully they last long enough until my next payday >.<

Someone's been posting excerpts from the lore book on the ffxiv subreddit, like this.
That really got me interested in it, hope I can get my hands on one. Seems to still be on back-order in NA.
WOW! good job

i want to hear the panic in voice chat LOL

lol thanks
I hope I can experience more stuff like that in the game.

Cleared A9S a second time last night and then floundered in A10S for an hour. Most of us going in somewhat blind was a mistake, I think. Seems like a fun fight.

aceface

Anyone receive their Encyclopedia Eorzea recently?

Mine's been marked as shipped for forever.

I'm in the same situation, ordered it in late October and it's been marked as shipped ever since then but it hasn't arrived or actually shipped I don't think. I've never gotten tracking info.

I'd like to do the Crystal Tower raid with some gaffers. Would some of you be interested? It would be my first raid.

Sure, I'd be interested. When did you want to do it?

Hi folks.

Came back after a 2 year break and loving it. Made a new character with a friend on Ultros and am a little confused by the FC application process. There used to be an online form on the website but now it looks like you pretty much just do it in game, is that right?

dramatis

That's not it. I'd like to do it with some gaffers for fun.

How long is the raid?
It's not a question of how long the raid is, we need a schedule because the raid requires 24 people.

Alternatively you can settle for an 8-person GAF party, but Tomo still wants a time to know when to do it.

Hi folks.

Came back after a 2 year break and loving it. Made a new character with a friend on Ultros and am a little confused by the FC application process. There used to be an online form on the website but now it looks like you pretty much just do it in game, is that right?
You do one on the site and one in game.

Game FC is limited to 512 people, eventually we hit full so inactive people start getting kicked. The idea behind the website application is so we know you've been in the FC, and also the website itself can serve as place to find endgame raid members and so on.

Vitanimus

So I just finished 2.0 and stared my Relic quest. Is it the norm to drop 120k on the weapon required to proceed? That's nearly 25% of all the gil I have.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I feel kinda relieved. I guess I really needed a break. Is "static burn-out" a thing?
Absolutely yes. I've run my static for close to 3 years now, and it can be as stressful as a second part-time job sometimes. Trying to manage progression while also juggling the various social dynamics between members is extremely exhausting to do in the long run, to the point when I wanted to quit the game at multiple points. I sometimes lie down before starting a raid night because I know what I'm in for, and after a raid session I'm usually exhausted and don't feel like doing anything.

It's caused by a bunch of things. Part of it is managing expectations between people. All members of a static have varying levels of ambition and dedication to the game. Some just want to show up and play together, and some want to learn to play their job to the best of their ability. They have varying expectations of how fast they want you to progress as a group. It's EXTREMELY important for everyone in the group to be on roughly the same page in terms of these expectations and ambition levels, or else the odd one out will hurt the group in one way or another. One person being too ambitious or one person being too lazy can cause stress and fatigue within the group. And these people will often happen to most groups, because the average raid static is most likely a ragtag team of people playing together, and not some hardcore super pro group that only accepts the best of the best.

The other thing is managing the social interactions and communication within your group. Some people may be more shy than others, some are worse at communicating than others, some may not speak up when they should, and some personalities may rub each other the wrong way. Even if it's not your job to manage those little points of friction within the static (that's usually the raid leader's job), it can still be tiring to spend time in this environment for several hours every week, for months and months on end. I consider my group already pretty good chemistry-wise, but it can still get really fucking exhausting from time to time. For example, sometimes I notice friction developing between two people, and I have to step in and sort things out personally because I know they won't talk to each other directly.

This was at its worst during Midas progression, because the tier was so fucking hard and one or two people were below the skill threshold needed to clear A8S at a reasonable rate. That level of fatigue and stress made some people quit the static and then I had to find replacements, find otu that they aren't working out, find more replacements, re-learn shit, and so on. It really did a number on me.

It's not a question of how long the raid is, we need a schedule because the raid requires 24 people.

Alternatively you can settle for an 8-person GAF party, but Tomo still wants a time to know when to do it.

24? Wow, I thought it was only eight players. How does that work?

The length of the raid would inform when we do it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

You go through the dungeon as an alliance made out of 3 8 person parties and many boss mechanics split you up/require different parties to do different things.

People are separated in 3 parties of 8 - Alliances A, B and C - and you just go along together to deal several bosses in a row. Some bosses require the parties to split up and cooperate so each party can kill their own enemy, others just pile everyone together and people need to do mechanics as usual.

Each 24 man raid is a bit longer than a normal dungeon, usually goes for 20~30 minutes.

Akuun

The Crystal Tower/Void Ark/Weeping City raids are 24-mans, so it's three 8-person parties.

The Coil/Alexander raids are effectively very hard boss fights as an 8-man party, and those are also called raids, so it can be confusing.

I see. That's cool.

Are most of you EST? We could do it at either 14:00 EST or 20:00 EST. If some of you want to join and are in Europe, we can do it at 14:00 EST to accommodate you.

We can do a simple 8-person group. Unless we somehow find 23 other gaffers.

aceface

I see. That's cool.

Are most of you EST? We could do it at either 14:00 EST or 20:00 EST. If some of you want to join and are in Europe, we can do it at 14:00 EST to accommodate you.

We can do a simple 8-person group. Unless we somehow find 23 other gaffers.

I could do it this Friday, but I can't come on until around 21:00 EST. Honestly with so many people off playing FFXV it might be hard to put together a full party but we might be able to swing it. Then, we'd just have to hope that there's 16 other people queuing in the data center.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Quick question for MNKs. In gearing up, what is the general method of materia melds for your gear? Materia you generally use for the right side and left side.

kiyomi

Just picked this up again over the past couple of weeks after a few months break once I hit HW. I'm finally making it through HW but I'm still very very new in relative terms. There are a lot of dungeons that I've never even touched and as I make the transition towards endgame content it'd be great to get a handle on them so I can feel comfortable doing the solo roulette etc. Would the GAF FC be accommodating for someone like me? AKA someone who needs their hand holding as a 57 PLD and who could do with more friends on Ultros, lol.

Quick question for MNKs. In gearing up, what is the general method of materia melds for your gear? Materia you generally use for the right side and left side.
Depends on how much skill speed you're looking for. Crit is king, skill speed should only be prioritized over det if you want to go fast - which isn't really worth it beyond 600 because your TP will go kaput - and only at specific tiers.

Vanethyr

I've been leveling a Ninja up recently, the job quests are so interesting. Much more than the others jobs I've done.

Had a blast leveling my Ninja not long ago too, a large part of it was just me looking forward to getting more handsigns to mess around with though, still have yet to get bored of using them (or of jumping and running around like a Ninja).

Someone's been posting excerpts from the lore book on the ffxiv subreddit, like this.
That really got me interested in it, hope I can get my hands on one. Seems to still be on back-order in NA.

As if I wasn't excited enough about getting that book as it is ^ ^ had a good laugh at the part about Kan-E-Senna and her Moogle dance, hopefully they'll include it at some point!

Can't wait to get my hands on it for some bedtime reading :3

I should really pay more attention to the letters and livestreams, wouldn't even have known about the book's existence had it not been for people talking about it here, but I thought it was too late by that point.

On an unrelated note, I've been reminded of FFXIV a lot while playing XV, and couldn't quite put my finger on it (other than the fact that it's making me want to play XIV more than anything else for some odd reason). However, I did notice these blatant references after finishing a quest in an area that reminds me an awful lot of Mor Dhona:

http://i.imgur.com/V5sY0vy.jpg

(there aren't any spoilers in the screenshot, but I thought I'd avoid embedding it in-case people don't want to see it)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Depends on how much skill speed you're looking for. Crit is king, skill speed should only be prioritized over det if you want to go fast - which isn't really worth it beyond 600 because your TP will go kaput - and only at specific tiers.

Sounds good.

aravuus

Best site/wiki for lore reading? No problems finding sites to explain game mechanics and such, but I'm interested in reading about the world and its history, all the civilizations and gods and so on and so on.

dramatis

Just picked this up again over the past couple of weeks after a few months break once I hit HW. I'm finally making it through HW but I'm still very very new in relative terms. There are a lot of dungeons that I've never even touched and as I make the transition towards endgame content it'd be great to get a handle on them so I can feel comfortable doing the solo roulette etc. Would the GAF FC be accommodating for someone like me? AKA someone who needs their hand holding as a 57 PLD and who could do with more friends on Ultros, lol.
Ask in chat with the words "new player bonus" for some of the level 50 dungeons and you'll probably get somebody to hop onboard.

GAF FC is kind of murky right now because a lot of people are playing FF15. Sometimes people don't pay attention to chat and sometimes they do, so don't get discouraged if nobody responds. You're welcome to the FC regardless of the current level of activity though.

Vanethyr

Oh shit, there's a lore book?

e: you mean this https://store.eu.square-enix.com/eu...opaedia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv ?

God damn that looks cool, just, damn, it's a tiny bit pricy. Gonna need a sample at the very least before I put in 45 euros (plus postage) on a video game lore book

This is the only unboxing video I can see on YouTube, but there are pictures kicking about on Google as well.

Hikami linked an excerpt in a Reddit thread earlier here too.

Akuun

Sounds good.
Oh, and if you intend to go into Alex Savage, I suggest melding Vit into your accessories. The DPS checks in this tier are very lax so you don't really need to max out crit/det, and the added HP from the Vit increases the margin for error, which helps during progression.

Vanethyr

since i know some of you guys are probably playing XV too, the XIV song CDs are at the convenience store in lestallum

Aha, thank you!

I've been looking for them for ages now but didn't want to Google anything. Felt somewhat disappointed every time I'd open up the shop menu in a new area only to find the CDs I wasn't looking for.

Time to blast out 'Torn from the Heavens' after I swing by to pick them up!

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Getting the itch to come back for a bit. Might do that over the Christmas break once my exams are over. Gonna have to get used to playing with a gamepad, as I shattered my arm, so don't have the dexterity to use a keyboard all that well for gaming. =S

I keep getting harassed by a group called "Pvpbank'com Sellgil-a" at Limsa. It's probably a bot. Can I block it somehow? It's very annoying.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I keep getting harassed by a group called "Pvpbank'com Sellgil-a" at Limsa. It's probably a bot. Can I block it somehow? It's very annoying.
Click on it's name in the chat and you'll be able to send a report and/or add it to your blacklist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom