• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright

I have around 1600/2000 of those poetic tomes that can be used to buy high level equipment in Mor Dhona. I think their iLvl was 120. My iLvl is 80. Should I buy them or will I get some for free by doing the MSQ?

You'll get some for free as part of MSQ, but if you have that many poetics you may as well spend some on equipment.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alright

I have around 1600/2000 of those poetic tomes that can be used to buy high level equipment in Mor Dhona. I think their iLvl was 120. My iLvl is 80. Should I buy them or will I get some for free by doing the MSQ?

I don't think you get much in the way of equipment from the MSQ at this point. Some here and there, but you'll be swimming in poetics. I would use those tombs on the 120 gear. Also, when buying that Ironworks 120 gear, remember that you can upgrade each piece to 130 by also buying Carbontwine and trading both items to Drake in North Shroud.

I think Carbontwine is also something that can drop from The Crystal Tower raid, but not 100% on that.

Omni

I was actually able to raid find 9, 10, and 11s clears this week. First two were one shots. Second we wiped... three times. And people were new.

I'm shocked

Hikami

Man, I'm starting to get burned out. My goal was to get another class to 60 and continue the MSQ with it (stopped at the end of 3.0).

Tried out almost every class and I liked Ninja the most, got it to level 56 now. I've been doing a combination of PotD, vanu dailies, and daily roulettes. I guess it's mostly the PotD grind that's burning me out. Queues for DPS are so long though if I do something else for levels.

Guess I just need a break. Maybe I'll actually play the new Pokemon game I bought a while ago lol.

edit: I just realized I have a bunch of level 50 and 60 dungeons to do (still have those roulettes locked)
Will have to deal with the DPS queues but oh well, got a bunch of second chance points incoming for WT.

Squishy3

so... my fc's static killed a9s without seeing double scrap lol.

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/Q23hBXp6CR9JNxYb#fight=7&type=damage-done

I'm the bard and I'm in 257 ilvl with 260 relic. lol A9S being easier than sophia is ...kinda sad. I do agree that the first raid should be easy but easier than a primal that drops lower ilvl stuff? ehhhh
Sophia -> A9S is weird because Sophia's you see more different combinations of mechanics and there's stufff that can easily trip people up like black and white even though it's easy. Plus stuff like being ready for mechanics that may or may not happen depending on DPS, while at most all you do in A9S is kill him faster and faster each week instead of making mechanics not happen at all.

Yeah, Sophia and Refurbisher are the same difficulty, the difference is gearing up makes Refurbisher easier while Sophia gets random and suddenly you wipe because you weren't expecting four Cintamanis in a row or some shit.

I much prefer it that way, I wish SE would kill off most of the phase pushing in this game.

You'll get some for free as part of MSQ, but if you have that many poetics you may as well spend some on equipment.

I don't think you get much in the way of equipment from the MSQ at this point. Some here and there, but you'll be swimming in poetics. I would use those tombs on the 120 gear. Also, when buying that Ironworks 120 gear, remember that you can upgrade each piece to 130 by also buying Carbontwine and trading both items to Drake in North Shroud.

I think Carbontwine is also something that can drop from The Crystal Tower raid, but not 100% on that.

Alright, thanks. I'll do that!

Vanethyr

My Encyclopedia Eorzea just arrived and oh my, people sure weren't kidding about how wonderful it is.

I thought there might have been some hyperbole surrounding it initially, but I think this is genuinely the most beautiful thing in my collection now (possibly dethroning Kurt Hymneth from its current throne).

Looking forward to cosying up in bed with it later ^ ^ flicked through the first few pages and it's pretty engrossing!

Pachimari

My Encyclopedia Eorzea just arrived and oh my, people sure weren't kidding about how wonderful it is.

I thought there might have been some hyperbole surrounding it initially, but I think this is genuinely the most beautiful thing in my collection now (possibly dethroning Kurt Hymneth from its current throne).

Looking forward to cosying up in bed with it later ^ ^ flicked through the first few pages and it's pretty engrossing!

Is there a lot of text and descriptions / lore?

Vanethyr

Is there a lot of text and descriptions / lore?

It certainly has both in abundance. "Encyclopedia" is a fitting name for it given that it's closer to that than an artbook, covering all sorts of topics like the different races and Beast Tribes that make up Eorzea as well as the structures of the cities and lore about the world in general.

Every page looks to be filled with text so I'm sure I'll find more enjoyment in reading this than just browsing Wikipedia pages for lore. I'd say it's definitely worth the asking price!

Oooh if you don't mind me asking did you purchase the first batch or the second? Hoping I can get mine today too!

Vanethyr

Oooh if you don't mind me asking did you purchase the first batch or the second? Hoping I can get mine today too!

I think I'll have missed the first batch, not entirely sure. The only option on the EU store was to join a mailing list when I found out about the book by way of this thread around a month or so ago, but just happened to notice that it was back in stock when I ordered it on Tuesday. So I don't know whether they just had stock left over in the end, or if this is the second print run, sorry :(

Hope you get yours today too! It's delightful :3

so... my fc's static killed a9s without seeing double scrap lol.

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/Q23hBXp6CR9JNxYb#fight=7&type=damage-done

I'm the bard and I'm in 257 ilvl with 260 relic. lol A9S being easier than sophia is ...kinda sad. I do agree that the first raid should be easy but easier than a primal that drops lower ilvl stuff? ehhhh

......Whoa. Anyway, yeah A9S is a huge joke. We one shot it every time now but even when we were learning it we would always get it down to below 30 because OT kept screwing up... Easier than Sophia? Hmmm, I'll agree there as I still see people fall off in Sophia....

Jaeyden

Yeah, I dunno. Sohpy is content you can farm all day long. Alex is not, the loot lockout plus the difficulty of the higher floors makes me feel they did the right thing with it. Brute force a9s out of the way each week and get on to the real team jump roping. Gear progression should have a positive effect on the amount of time teams are staying inside fights. It makes the gear feel like it was worth the effort.

I really like doing dungeons. It's so fun.

At first during the story it is incredibly fun but when you get to endgame you'll notice you are grinding the same dungeons over and over and that gets monotonous at some point. I highly agree that dungeon progression is super fun but you'll hit a wall when you grind for endgame tomes.

studyguy

Been trying to use DRK more often.
Like... why is Living Dead still so garbage fam?

I didn't even know it still had that, 'you have to get hit at least once more post living dead to clear the status.'

Vanethyr

How is this game fkr newcomers is it worth picking up

It's pretty friendly to new players from what I've seen, especially with recent patches adding things like the mentor system and training hall where you can practice different combat roles with NPCs by yourself so you don't have to learn everything by being thrown at the deep end with other players.

You'll also be slowly introduced to different kinds of mechanics and tactics every few levels through instances called Guildhests, which is pretty useful if you aren't very experienced with MMOs.

Other than that, the community's one of the friendliest and most helpful I've ever seen in an MMO, with people willing to help if you just ask for it. New players get marked with a seedling/sproutling icon next to their names for identification too, and are added to a chat channel where veteran players can provide help and answer their questions.

Whether or not it's worth picking up will probably be up to how much you enjoy MMOs or Final Fantasy, but the 14 day trial should help you get an idea of what it's like, or if you'd like to continue playing it (though I wouldn't judge the game too harshly based on the early content, it's a bit of a slow burn and it only gets better once the story really gets going).

Personally I think it's the best modern Final Fantasy game around, and the only MMO I've played in over 10 years where I haven't unsubscribed since the game's launch. Even if you don't decide to take up full-time raiding or anything like that, I still find the story immensely enjoyable and keeps me coming back with every content update.

If you have any other questions about the game, or need a hand getting started, just say since you'll find plenty of helpful people in this thread :)

Hikami

Question

When I reach level 60 for my Dragoon, should I switch to another DPS job, or should I go for another class?

Are you liking Dragoon? When I got my Dragoon to 60, I didn't like how it played with the new skills so I'm leveling another DPS job to replace it.

If you like how DRG plays though then maybe try out a healer or tank.

Vanethyr

Question

When I reach level 60 for my Dragoon, should I switch to another DPS job, or should I go for another class?

It might be worth levelling another role if you feel comfortable enough with healing or tanking just so you've got more options when it comes to group content. I always find it nice being able to switch to my White Mage of Paladin if I want a break from DPSing, or just feel like switching things up a bit for Palace of the Dead or FATEs.

Though depending on your preferences, you could always level some ranged DPS as well if you want the ability to do both in case you get bored of melee.

wamberz1

How is this game fkr newcomers is it worth picking up
It's fantastic at teaching basic MMO mechanics to newcomers, and the community is (for the most part) extremely helpful. As for if it's worth it, you can try the free trial which will let you progress through a big chunk of the game for two weeks and see if you like it.
Question

That's up to you. If you want to start endgame content (Alexander and post release patches), I would recommend getting the recommended cross class skills if you don't have them already by leveling up maurader and pugy, while doing your roulette's to get lore tomes (which are needed for endgame gear).
Or you could try out a new class and level it up. Up to you.

Are you liking Dragoon? When I got my Dragoon to 60, I didn't like how it played with the new skills so I'm leveling another DPS job to replace it.

If you like how DRG plays though then maybe try out a healer or tank.

yeah, I like it so far. But I haven't tried anything else so who knows if I would prefer another job.

It might be worth levelling another role if you feel comfortable enough with healing or tanking just so you've got more options when it comes to group content. I always find it nice being able to switch to my White Mage of Paladin if I want a break from DPSing, or just feel like switching things up a bit for Palace of the Dead or FATEs.

Though depending on your preferences, you could always level some ranged DPS as well if you want the ability to do both in case you get bored of melee.

Alright

It's fantastic at teaching basic MMO mechanics to newcomers, and the community is (for the most part) extremely helpful. As for if it's worth it, you can try the free trial which will let you progress through a big chunk of the game for two weeks and see if you like it.

That's up to you. If you want to start endgame content (Alexander and post release patches), I would recommend getting the recommended cross class skills if you don't have them already by leveling up maurader and pugy, while doing your roulette's to get lore tomes (which are needed for endgame gear).
Or you could try out a new class and level it up. Up to you.

Considering I need the level 26 Marauder skill, I'll probably level Marauder next.

Thanks

Angelina

Banned
It's pretty friendly to new players from what I've seen, especially with recent patches adding things like the mentor system and training hall where you can practice different combat roles with NPCs by yourself so you don't have to learn everything by being thrown at the deep end with other players.

You'll also be slowly introduced to different kinds of mechanics and tactics every few levels through instances called Guildhests, which is pretty useful if you aren't very experienced with MMOs.

Other than that, the community's one of the friendliest and most helpful I've ever seen in an MMO, with people willing to help if you just ask for it. New players get marked with a seedling/sproutling icon next to their names for identification too, and are added to a chat channel where veteran players can provide help and answer their questions.

Whether or not it's worth picking up will probably be up to how much you enjoy MMOs or Final Fantasy, but the 14 day trial should help you get an idea of what it's like, or if you'd like to continue playing it (though I wouldn't judge the game too harshly based on the early content, it's a bit of a slow burn and it only gets better once the story really gets going).

Personally I think it's the best modern Final Fantasy game around, and the only MMO I've played in over 10 years where I haven't unsubscribed since the game's launch. Even if you don't decide to take up full-time raiding or anything like that, I still find the story immensely enjoyable and keeps me coming back with every content update.

If you have any other questions about the game, or need a hand getting started, just say since you'll find plenty of helpful people in this thread :)

Ive never been a person who plays mmos for raiding or pvp. I generally just like a mmo for helping people having fun n enjoying content/ story

Vanethyr

Ive never been a person who plays mmos for raiding or pvp. I generally just like a mmo for helping people having fun n enjoying content/ story

If you want an MMO for enjoyable content and story then look no further ^ ^ you will have to do the occasional dungeon and raid to progress the story, but they're all a breeze now with the matchmaking (this is coming from someone who is incredibly intimidated by raiding, so it's nothing to sweat about).

The game's development team is pretty active too so there's always a content update every few months, which will usually add more chapters and cutscenes to the story in addition to all the other stuff.

Who are the composers for this game? Has it been the same one since 2.0? Also, was Uematsu the only one to compose the original game's soundtrack?

Vanethyr

Yeah this is great too. I think it's a remix of the Aetherochemical Facility track which is also ace.

Ahhhh, so it is! I thought it sounded familiar ^ ^ dismissed it at first thinking I might have just heard it in one of the trailers but that'd explain it...

I've refrained from listening to the Sophia music so far (despite how much people go on about it), hoping to find the courage to bite the bullet and do the fight some day to get the full experience :p

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Who are the composers for this game? Has it been the same one since 2.0? Also, was Uematsu the only one to compose the original game's soundtrack?

Nobuo Uematsu, Ryo Yamazaki and Tsutomu Narita for 1.0's original run and titular theme songs, and from 1.xx to now it's Masayoshi Soken with occasional assistance by the company Film Score, LLC.

Squishy3

Yeah this is great too. I think it's a remix of the Aetherochemical Facility track which is also ace.
Yeah, the 3.4 dungeon final boss theme is like a mix of 3 songs or something.

Heavensward spoilers so don't read if you haven't completed 3.3

Originally it was going to be the Nidhogg theme for Final Steps of Faith, but they opted against using it there and instead used the one we have now.

I'm really excited to see what the new dungeon theme is for 3.5, I wonder if it's going to be a remix of the Praetorium theme.

Omni

Made it to the timegates in A12s today.

I suppose the last bit is the hardest mechanically but that first half with the adds is actually really taxing on heals. Really wasn't expecting things to hit so hard. And people said 11s was the worst. Nooooooope

Qvoth

i do think a11s is mechanically harder, there are a lot of movement involved
been stuck in a12s <10% hp for more than a week, it's getting annoying :<

iammeiam

11 has the mechanics of a Savage fight but is tuned to be fairly forgiving.

12 is mechanically simple (the fight being Frankenstein'd out of primarily rehashed coil mechanics reminds me of Thordan) but hits a lot harder.

11 is also a weekly exercise in weird phase pushing, which means it stays interesting longer.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
11 has the mechanics of a Savage fight but is tuned to be fairly forgiving.

12 is mechanically simple (the fight being Frankenstein'd out of primarily rehashed coil mechanics reminds me of Thordan) but hits a lot harder.

11 is also a weekly exercise in weird phase pushing, which means it stays interesting longer.
That feeling when a phase push makes the fucker shield himself with Limit Cut when your wildfire is less than a second from detonation.

Yay constantly revising cooldown usage.

Nohar

[Nevermind]

Still on A10S. At least we died when the boss was at 15%. We just need to pass the add phase, and it should be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom