• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

The one I bought in late October (and they charged me for then) has said "shipped" ever since then and is nowhere to be found. Buyer beware on the SE store :/
I ordered when they were on backorder and mine's on its way. The key thing is the tracking info showed up in an email and doesn't appear on the order page on the site, so I'd look there.

Kenai

Astro card optimization is simple. Is it balance? No? Royal road or discard it. Almost none of the cards matter including bole.

There are very rare cases where any other card matter.

Also giving a bard the mp card is just doing it wrong.

O never give the skillspeed card to a monk ninja paladin or dragoon. You'll ruin their dps

I dunno, I really like Bole. 20% dmg reduction on the tank is no joke. Arrow on BLM/BRD/MCH is pretty legit, too same with Spear on BRD/MCH or even myself though I'm not a big Spear fan and try to Redraw it away if I can.

You aren't necessarily going to get Balance your next pull...or your next 5 pulls, even. Why keep burning em away when they can get used to notable effect? Spire/Ewer I almost always RR away though, for sure (unless someone just got rezzed up).

Omni

I know it screws over actual chests, but if I enter 12s before clearing 11s, can I still go back and get a page?

I dunno, I really like Bole. 20% dmg reduction on the tank is no joke. Arrow on BLM/BRD/MCH is pretty legit, too same with Spear on BRD/MCH or even myself though I'm not a big Spear fan and try to Redraw it away if I can.

You aren't necessarily going to get Balance your next pull...or your next 5 pulls, even. Why keep burning em away when they can get used to notable effect? Spire/Ewer I almost always RR away though, for sure (unless someone just got rezzed up).

because tanks shouldn't be relying on bole to live through tank busters. None of the fights are designed around that. Holding onto bole for tank busters is not being efficient with your cards.

Yeah you might not get balance, but you sure won't get balance holding onto whatever crap card you have. Mathematically the best way to play astro is to fish for balance. Every top end astro in any high end static does this.

Yeah if you happen to get a spire card and somebody happened to die you could give it to them. But you would of had to draw that spire when somebody happens to die. Even a rarer chance then drawing balance.

Same idea for bole. You could use bole to help mitigate fights ... if you draw it right when something is about to happen.

And as I said before, balance prevents more raid dmg than bole ever will. More dmg to skip mechanics is the way to handle this tier of raiding

A9S: less acid rains, less generators, no alarm adds, no double scrapline
A10S: Less tank busters, less tank swaps, and you can skip the whole add mechanic completely
A11S: Skipping limit cut, Skipping whirlwind, Skipping optical Sights
A12S: Skipping puddles

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/544t31/analysis_of_astro_buffs_in_the_context_of_endgame/

I know it screws over actual chests, but if I enter 12s before clearing 11s, can I still go back and get a page?

no you get nothing; not even a page

Omni

no you get nothing; not even a page
Damn it.

I'm trying to learn A12s so I can "officially" rejoin a static. Until then they've got another healer running with them for weekly clears. So it means I gotta try and pug A9-11s clears or sub or something before they take me in to teach me the fight.

It really isn't easy. I got 9 and 10s today. But 11 is just so hard to find a group for. I'm an i266 AST/WHM which makes it worse; Not many groups seem to wanna trust a random main healer. Or just flat out aren't looking. Much more viable if I were DPS but alas. I'd even be fine with just a page run but you know. What a mess xD

solomon

Just started playing (just hit level 20) and having a good time, but can anyone on Hyperion invite me to a free company :(((( .

ebil

Raiding AST → AOE Balance all day, every day. Unless you get the rare opportunity to use something else or increasing damage for a particular phase makes little difference (like, A12s add phase duration has no bearing on the rest of the fight so you can chill while preparing an AOE Balance for Alex's return)

AST in dungeons → who you'll be getting is random so there's a lot more opportunities here. Bole is great for big pulls, Spire is helpful, Ewer is helpful, Spear is still useless but great RR fodder. Cry a little and Balance yourself when you see you're top DPS anyway.

That's all there is to it. It's a bit boring, frankly.

Pachimari

I'm so damn excited for tomorrow. Because tomorrow is the day I'll be receiving my Encyclopedia Eorzea book!

And I'll have to start up FFXIV again, so I don't get too far behind, but FFXV is taking up all of my time right now.

aceface

I ordered when they were on backorder and mine's on its way. The key thing is the tracking info showed up in an email and doesn't appear on the order page on the site, so I'd look there.

When did you order? I haven't gotten any email updates since I ordered on Oct. 25th.

First time in my life I saw back-to-back tanks pull everything possible in Braflox normal. Playing on a SCH with Eos on manual control and using food with pie buff and x-ethers, it was still legit close call city numerous times due to being on the verge of no MP. On 2nd run through via DF tank pulled everything up to 2nd to last boss into the boss fight and was surprised somebody died. Tanks told me this is the new norm (Aether data center) for all low level dungeons. RIP if you get any healer who is new then. I told both of them this is literally pushing it too far and beyond most healers abilities (especially given what tools a SCH has at level 32). And it would be faster if they pulled a bit less so I could actually DPS more.

When will I know when I have reached Heavensward? Will it be evident? Will the expansion's title come up on screen? That would be sweet.

gryvan

First time in my life I saw back-to-back tanks pull everything possible in Braflox normal. Playing on a SCH with Eos on manual control and using food with pie buff and x-ethers, it was still legit close call city numerous times due to being on the verge of no MP. On 2nd run through via DF tank pulled everything up to 2nd to last boss into the boss fight and was surprised somebody died. Tanks told me this is the new norm (Aether data center) for all low level dungeons. RIP if you get any healer who is new then. I told both of them this is literally pushing it too far and beyond most healers abilities (especially given what tools a SCH has at level 32). And it would be faster if they pulled a bit less so I could actually DPS more.

I usually do that too!

But I usually also check healer gear and ask if the person is ok with full pulls/chain pulls

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It actually doesn't make much sense to mass pull in the very low level dungeons because most jobs don't have much AoE ability at that level, so they can't burn down those mobs before the tank and healer run dry trying to keep the tank alive in the first place.

The "this is how I play, deal with it" attitude is bullshit and one reason why I always dread playing with strangers in lower level dungeons.

Kenai

because tanks shouldn't be relying on bole to live through tank busters. None of the fights are designed around that. Holding onto bole for tank busters is not being efficient with your cards.

Yeah you might not get balance, but you sure won't get balance holding onto whatever crap card you have. Mathematically the best way to play astro is to fish for balance. Every top end astro in any high end static does this.

Yeah if you happen to get a spire card and somebody happened to die you could give it to them. But you would of had to draw that spire when somebody happens to die. Even a rarer chance then drawing balance.

Same idea for bole. You could use bole to help mitigate fights ... if you draw it right when something is about to happen.

And as I said before, balance prevents more raid dmg than bole ever will. More dmg to skip mechanics is the way to handle this tier of raiding

A9S: less acid rains, less generators, no alarm adds, no double scrapline
A10S: Less tank busters, less tank swaps, and you can skip the whole add mechanic completely
A11S: Skipping limit cut, Skipping whirlwind, Skipping optical Sights
A12S: Skipping puddles

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/544t31/analysis_of_astro_buffs_in_the_context_of_endgame/

You misunderstand.

I don't hold Bole. But I'm gonna use Arrow and Bole and such if that's what I got. That's all. I'm not gonna burn them with RR or click it off in hopes that my next AoE is Balance, cause that's asking to be disappointed by not getting Balance yet again. We've all had that run of luck, without fail.

2-3 min without any buff at all when it doesn't promise you a Balance vs using what you get (and yes, I keep Redraw on CD and keep fishing for that Balance) seems a waste when you could have easily got perfectly usable Arrows or Boles that will absolutely matter. Of course Balance is always, always, always going to be king, but not using what i got in the meantime is wasting resources that will make the best of a bad, Balance-less situation, especially when you aren't in Savage. People aren't gonna wait for you to line up an AoE Balance in DF or PF, so I just use what I got.

I assure you while those raids are much, much easier when we get that Balance chain, they aren't gonna force a wipe when we don't get them. They will make do with whatever we get and hope it's Balance on the next draw or we get that Balance chain on the next try if we wipe (and then twiddle their thumbs until we get a Balance saved for the pre-pull).

Hystzen

Just decided come back to this game last time touched it was last February.

You know been ages when you log in character and find out the GAF house is not in Mist anymore and you standing in front a strangers house

wamberz1

I usually don't share reddit threads but this one was too good not too.
The rules that random PotD parties go by!
All this shit happens EVERY TIME I run POTD. That last one especially is spot on.
Another point I'd like to add: If you are at the passage to the next floor, but there is a gold chest all the way at the other end of the floor, it's absolutely IMPERATIVE that you waste everyone's time by running all the way over to grab it. Even if it's a low level floor where Items don't matter.

Squishy3

oh wow, haha. I see. I'm playing the game in French, so we'll see if it's the case with that localization also.
I think it was mostly the English version that experienced this, and not the other languages. Could be mistaken though.

My Encyclopedia arrived. Is a good book from the quick glance through I did.

Pachimari

How much does the Encyclopedia include? Is it outdated in not having content from the latest expansion or does it have lore for that too?

Squishy3

How much does the Encyclopedia include? Is it outdated in not having content from the latest expansion or does it have lore for that too?
It has some lore for it or at least stuff that will come to light in the expansion.

Koji made a big deal about it not necessarily having all new information but that it's a compilation of a bunch of stuff with some new information about specific things or expanding on it. The whole shebang is pretty impressive and it's loaded with a bunch of Akihiko Yoshida art.

Vitanimus

I'm genuinely amazed in the shift in the game from up to 2.3 to 2.4 and onwards. Everything 2.4 - 2.55 was amazing, especially the story and the way the narrative was presented through its cutscenes. People really don't joke when they say how much better it gets.

I've just (finally) unlocked 3.0 and gotten Astrologian. Seems kinda weird that they just throw you right in there with a bunch of skills and an RNG based skill and just sorta say "get in there". Gonna read a guide to see how to effectively play them for a beginner!

You misunderstand.

I don't hold Bole. But I'm gonna use Arrow and Bole and such if that's what I got. That's all. I'm not gonna burn them with RR or click it off in hopes that my next AoE is Balance, cause that's asking to be disappointed by not getting Balance yet again. We've all had that run of luck, without fail.

2-3 min without any buff at all when it doesn't promise you a Balance vs using what you get (and yes, I keep Redraw on CD and keep fishing for that Balance) seems a waste when you could have easily got perfectly usable Arrows or Boles that will absolutely matter. Of course Balance is always, always, always going to be king, but not using what i got in the meantime is wasting resources that will make the best of a bad, Balance-less situation, especially when you aren't in Savage. People aren't gonna wait for you to line up an AoE Balance in DF or PF, so I just use what I got.

I assure you while those raids are much, much easier when we get that Balance chain, they aren't gonna force a wipe when we don't get them. They will make do with whatever we get and hope it's Balance on the next draw or we get that Balance chain on the next try if we wipe (and then twiddle their thumbs until we get a Balance saved for the pre-pull).

Of course you don't wipe if you don't get balance. Who ever implied that? Also all this talk about astro card optimization is only for raiding where it matters. in DF you can do whatever you want. I don't even care if the healer doesn't want to dps and the tank sits in tank stance the whole instance

Omni

I'm suddenly reminded of all the Faust Z parses I've done this tier where we've waited for me to get a stored AoE Balance and an extra drawn one

CD reset was pointless. Now we wait for balances instead, lmao

ebil

I usually prepare an AOE Balance ahead of time when we're raiding. Other than that, we never wait for an AOE Balance, ever.

Not Waiting for AOE Balance is the new Not Waiting for Cooldowns.

Omni

With the way FFlogs has been messed because of the balance buff, if you care about top percentile DPS it kinda is

Juuust a joke anyway. Don't do it during progression

ebil

We absolutely don't care about being top percentile at all but more power to those who do!

the only thing I care about is clearing the whole raid within a single food item

Reknoc

Noctis jumps in from another dimension and you do a bunch of shit fates with him. You get a Cup Noodle minion and Prompto selfie stick as rewards.

Squishy3

Noctis jumps in from another dimension and you do a bunch of shit fates with him. You get a Cup Noodle minion and Prompto selfie stick as rewards.
I'd want a group of the guys as minions and when you gather them all together they pose and Prompto takes a picture.

GET ON IT SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom