• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I just realized that I have a Legacy and a Standard account. What's the difference? Also, how active is the GAF group on Ultros? I may start a fresh character there if there's enough people playing since I don't know anyone on my current server.

So I just realized that I have a Legacy and a Standard account. What's the difference? Also, how active is the GAF group on Ultros? I may start a fresh character there if there's enough people playing since I don't know anyone on my current server.
Legacy = 1.0 accounts, a few benefits including lower sub prices
Standard = 2.0 plebs

Zuly

I wonder if I'm the only person who didn't mind the journey of doing everything all the way to 3.4 in a couple of months. I took it slow but played every day after work. Took breaks from the MSQ to level gathering classes, make some gil on the side. Now I'm focusing on crafting classes until we have a steady group for savage content.

iammeiam

This is something I really wish they would implement. WoW did a really good job with their expansions by allowing players to get a free character at the minimum level required to start the latest expansions content. Hope Square does something along those lines with Stormblood. Although I'm not sure how they would do it since you really only play one character with any class. Some players might not like having to pick up a new char and start from square one again. New players would certainly benefit from it but they would need a tutorial of sorts like Blizzard did with the Death Knight hero class.

You can use the WoW boosts on existing characters, and FFXIV actually already has basically exactly this sort of thing up and running in China's FFXIV cash shop.

Basically they have a story progression item you can pop that will auto-complete MSQ up through 3.0, and they have Job Progression items you can buy that auto-bump to 50, complete Job quests.

I would be extremely surprised if they didn't add something like this everywhere else for Stormblood.

Reknoc

God damn, it couldn't have waited like, 1 more minute. I'd almost finished my roulette. The scions could only dream of being this good at killing a primal.

wamberz1

I wonder if I'm the only person who didn't mind the journey of doing everything all the way to 3.4 in a couple of months. I took it slow but played every day after work. Took breaks from the MSQ to level gathering classes, make some gil on the side. Now I'm focusing on crafting classes until we have a steady group for savage content.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Tried not to binge game, instead just steadily did my leveling dailies and levequests and a bit of the MSQ along the way. It was a really enjoyable experience (except for some ARR bits like the lead up to titan, ughhhh).
I don't regret it though, sure there were bad boring bits but the characters and story made up for the most part. If I could reset my memory and have the option to skip straight to heavensward I wouldn't.

Now I'm blasting through the extreme primals once every night while grinding scripture and hope to try Alex savage at some point.

Which reminds me, I should start doing crafting to make some money... anyone got any recommendations?

It's not like TERA where everyone is half naked and running around swinging popsicle sticks or some shit, which would make everyone who doesn't play the game go "wtf is this shit?"

I really liked TERA and only dropped it when it seemed clear that they were not going to keep making content for it, and then for good when it went F2P. But yeah, that was the thing I hated about it the most. That there was only one race/gender combo for normal cool looking armor and everything else was super dumb looking.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm a full blown pervert and TERA actually made me feel umconfortable. Castanics are where I draw the line, I guess lol

My Elin ran around dressed as a french maid or in a bikini. It was super dumb. But tanking like that was always fun. I've never been one to care much about that stuff, though. I can understand why some people get offended or turned off by it, though.

Even still, if cosmetics can help keep games afloat...

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I really liked TERA and only dropped it when it seemed clear that they were not going to keep making content for it, and then for good when it went F2P. But yeah, that was the thing I hated about it the most. That there was only one race/gender combo for normal cool looking armor and everything else was super dumb looking.
I still think TERA has the best mmo combat in the genre, hands down. I would love to have a game that had TERA's combat system and FFXIV's style for just about everything else, even though I also understand that FFXIV's raids couldn't be nearly as complicated as they are if you had to also watch for boss tells as closely as you do in TERA.

But yes, outside of the combat, TERA is shit in pretty much every way.

Yeah, the game straight up needs to have some way of skipping ARR/HW for SB. Taking like 100 hours to reach the expansion content is insane, I can't even imagine what being a brand new player in Stormblood will be like.

The way the main story is handled with everything building on top of what came before makes that difficult, unless they have some "previously on" digest video to summarize cutscenes.

Zalasta

Guess I shouldn't have logged out. I kept checking party finder and noticed it's been sitting empty for the last few hours. So I thought something is wrong on my end and maybe a relog would fix it. Should've checked here first.

Squishy3

The way the main story is handled with everything building on top of what came before makes that difficult, unless they have some "previously on" digest video to summarize cutscenes.
You can sorta see this for Heavensward at least with the narration at the end of each patch.

Wonder if they'd flesh those out (Maybe include cutscenes/in-game footage?) for people who use the jump potions.

Pachimari

The combat isn't the problem of the game's first half. The problem is being forced to go through the first half. At some point in the future, they will have to offer some way for players to jump straight to the latest content. I cannot imagine a new player coming to the game two or three expansions later, and not minding having to go through the base game. It's just so tedious and not interesting. So many fetch quests. The game is already so much better in the 2.X patches. I know for a fact that my friend would subscribe if he could jump straight to Heavensward; he simply does not want to have to go through the base game. And I don't blame him. One month later, playing around six hours a day, I have yet to reach it. It's a good thing I am unemployed right now, because I would have probably never put in the effort to get into the game otherwise.
I'm currently lvl 20 I think (not sure) and is at my first dungeon tutorial.

And I have found it to be a whole lot of fetch quests, which I don't mind too much but it can only keep me occupied for so long. So it gets better starting with Heavensward?

And I have found it to be a whole lot of fetch quests, which I don't mind too much but it can only keep me occupied for so long. So it gets better starting with Heavensward?

The MSQ got interesting to me with Titan. That's around...level 32 or so? Of course your mileage may vary, but base 2.0 is essentially one long tutorial.

i thought castanics were pretty boring designs
I meant that in a bad way. Female Castanics are like Haydee levels of shameless fanservice between every piece of gear being a metal thong and their animations making sure to display said thong in your face.

I have some shame, damn it.

Allard

Heavensward is definitely better paced main story and a lot less padding or "Fetch Quests" they still exist but usually lead directly into more story content pretty quickly (there are some side quests you will want to do along the way though for gear aether currents for flying). The 3.1+ MSQ quests have minimal such padding, so little in fact most complained at how little was added in 3.1 because it was basically a series of cut scenes without fights heh. There is a joke in later 2.X story quests about how they keep sending you out on errands despite being such an important individual, it does get better, but personally going back to 2.X on an alt I made not too long ago it felt very dull compared to heavensward story pacing, it is noticeably better, voice acting in all language got a dramatic improvement as well so that might be part of it, just much better directed content and cutscenes.

The patches are where it starts to get better. Though Heavensward is supposed to be where the game shines.

Heavensward has some stinkers (Helloooooo moogle quests) but it isn't as bad with the filler as ARR can be. Tis a shame because it gets kinda good at the end (Gaius is boss)

If I join a dungeon already underway, and it's my first time doing that dungeon, will I still get the bonus? I was disconnected earlier while doing the Midgarsormr dungeon.

If I join a dungeon already underway, and it's my first time doing that dungeon, will I still get the bonus? I was disconnected earlier while doing the Midgarsormr dungeon.

You should, yes. As long as you haven't beaten the last boss of a dungeon you should still get that bonus.

Apoptomon

How much time until Heavensward?

That's Patch 2.5 content, so you're close. The remaining MSQ includes one or two Trials - Chrysalis and Steps of Faith (I can't remember whether Chrysalis is before or after Keeper of the Lake) and then 2.55 closes out with a long set of cutsceens.

My Elin ran around dressed as a french maid or in a bikini. It was super dumb. But tanking like that was always fun. I've never been one to care much about that stuff, though. I can understand why some people get offended or turned off by it, though.

Even still, if cosmetics can help keep games afloat...

I didn't get offended, I just didn't like it. I like some actual armor looking stuff or things that don't kill my suspension of disbelief outright.
I'm weird in that way, as I'm a person who doesn't even like cosmetics in games since I think people should just be showing the gear they are wearing as well.

I still think TERA has the best mmo combat in the genre, hands down. I would love to have a game that had TERA's combat system and FFXIV's style for just about everything else, even though I also understand that FFXIV's raids couldn't be nearly as complicated as they are if you had to also watch for boss tells as closely as you do in TERA.

The world design and dungeons were miles and miles better then FF14's(vanilla and ARB). Heavensward did really good things with the world and it's individual zones were better, but the dungeons were still better for me in TERA. And I wasn't even the biggest fan of TERA's world design. Was the standard "paths around a zone leading to small open areas with things to kill", but ARR's was the same but even more restraining and with none of the non instanced massive "dungeon" areas that TERA has. I also preferred how TERA dealt with "out of bounds" or "not intended to get to" areas, in that it just didn't care. Want to swim out to sea to go around the back of a pirate stronghold mountain and climb up to a place that there is no path to? Go ahead, who cares, no invisible walls here.

Feels like I've gone off on a huge tangent. There are times I've wanted to play TERA again but then I remember it's F2P. Womp womp. There have been a bunch of MMORPGS that have done nearly every thing better then FF14 has but the thing that FF14 has done that makes it amazing is keep a subscription, and here is the important part, keep putting out content to justify it. It's the reason why this is the only MMORPG thread I'm still subbed to even though I bounced around to most of them.
Even though I haven't been subbed to the game itself in forever though.
No paying attention to WoW since it's too painful to think back on the good times. :c

Omni

As a main healer that is essentially solo healing, would I get more out of an i270 weapon or i270 chest first? I'm not sure if weapon damage translates to heals or something

I'm still baffled that only the Koreans have ever had any interest in making MMOs with free-target action combat. I mean it seems like the kind of thing Western devs would be all over, not that there are really any Western devs left which are making new MMOs at this point. All the new MMO development is in Asia, and almost all of them are cookie-cutter F2P interchangeable sandbox P2W grindfests these days.

The first month of launch that Tera had in NA was probably the best first month of any MMO I've ever played. It's too bad it was such a flash in the pan, the combat system in Tera was and is still amazing.

The first month of launch that Tera had in NA was probably the best first month of any MMO I've ever played. It's too bad it was such a flash in the pan, the combat system in Tera was and is still amazing.

I know what you mean. I honestly thought it was the signs of things to come in a bright future for mmorpgs...

Look how that turned out.

aceface

As a main healer that is essentially solo healing, would I get more out of an i270 weapon or i270 chest first? I'm not sure if weapon damage translates to heals or something

Always weapon first if you have a choice, yes, weapon damage makes your heals stronger.

Zuly

Got my fisher to 50 and I don't know if I have the fortitude to get it 60. Botanist is one GC turn in from 60 and Miner is 53. Not sure if to finish getting Fisher to 60 or wait till my Culinarian starts needing fish from 50+ holes. All of my crafters are 30, and I'll probably continue leveling them together to 50~60.

Hystzen

Last time I played this game as tank Midgarsormr was the latest dungeon. How much been added since then decided to make a DPS lancer to get back into game just curious how much for my Lala Paladin is left before Heavensward

Last time I played this game as tank Midgarsormr was the latest dungeon. How much been added since then decided to make a DPS lancer to get back into game just curious how much for my Lala Paladin is left before Heavensward
You were a couple bosses away from Heavensward

Since then they've added to the game pretty much as much content as it took you to get from the final boss of ARR to Midgarsomr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom