• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebil

JP fanfest can't come soon enough. I need more info on Stormblood. And I need to find myself a new main job.

Squishy3

The hildebrand quests still have far and away the best cutscenes in the entire game. I still need to do the HW ones but ended up starting the Mogwarts quest and thought I'd better blitz through that first.

and then I started leveling my WHM so now I'm doing neither of them lol
I still think my favorite one has to be 2.55's series but a bunch of the Hildibrand ones are up there.

Reknoc

I still think my favorite one has to be 2.55's series but a bunch of the Hildibrand ones are up there.

There's some pretty good stuff towards the end of 2.X yeah, especially with Raubahn, but it feels like the Hildebrand cutscenes are almost always turned up to 11. They tend to be far more dynamic and interesting and unlike most of the story quests they're actually fun to watch because there's more happening than just talking heads occasionally emoting. Like, yeah okay there's far more MSQ cutscenes so they can't all be winners and yeah Hildebrand being comedy means they can get away with some of the wackiest shit (and I love it). Just feels like a shame I can't enjoy the MSQ as much.

After finishing Final Fantasy XV I'm once again looking forward to Stormblood.

I'll probably be buying the paid stream thing since I won't be able to resist my hunger for info and footage.

KuroNeeko

Been thinking about trying melee dps, but leveling Marauder (for Mercy Stroke) is a real slog and I'm not really interested in tanking. Is it that necessary for Monk? Maybe I'll just do Rogue first.

I currently have Arcanist / Marauder both at 11.

Squishy3

Been thinking about trying melee dps, but leveling Marauder (for Mercy Killing) is a real slog and I'm not really interested in tanking. Is it that necessary for Monk? Maybe I'll just do Rogue first.

It's not 100% required especially if you're not planning on doing anything particularly difficult with Monk. In most fights, you're only going to use it once every boss fight or kill a dungeon mob slightly faster every 90 seconds.

Omni

The hell is going on with the Primal data centre over the last couple of days. So many random disconnects. I know for certain it's not my connection. Seems other people are having the problem too

smh

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Been thinking about trying melee dps, but leveling Marauder (for Mercy Stroke) is a real slog and I'm not really interested in tanking. Is it that necessary for Monk? Maybe I'll just do Rogue first.

It's not 100% required but it's free damage in many situations, which is very welcome.

But yes, if you're planning to run difficult content like EX primals or Alex Savage, people will expect you to have it. It's not just a few uses when the boss is low on health, but you pop it when killing adds and such too.
Switched back from warrior to machinist in raid.
This is the accurate representation of what transpired.

3eA2qMp.jpg
I did the same switch from war to mch this raid tier, and I can totally sympathize.

I felt like this for months:
c9Ups.gif

I changed from BRD to DRK for a few weeks last tier and my static bullied me until our BRD quit and I went back to that.

Never tanking again.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I changed from BRD to DRK for a few weeks last tier and my static bullied me until our BRD quit and I went back to that.

Never tanking again.
Tanking (and healing) is really rough in a way that I think people who don't tank don't really appreciate. The rotation is easier, sure, but there's that constant pressure to not screw up, and you always have to take extra steps to be super considerate towards everyone else in your party, and often the party does shit that bothers you but you have to suck it up because it's your job. You're often left picking up after everyone else's shit.

Tanks and healers get blamed for everything.

Zuly

Recently switched from WHM to AST. I'm enjoying it so far. I do kind of miss the oomph factor of White Mage heals and all of my "oh-shit" spells but I like the utility.

Nohar

Recently switched from WHM to AST. I'm enjoying it so far. I do kind of miss the oomph factor of White Mage heals and all of my "oh-shit" spells but I like the utility.

Noct AST has an incredibly potent shield as an instant cast with no cooldown, and in worst case scenarios if you need emergency healing you have Essential Dignity and Lightspeed + Benefict II (or Helios / Aspected Helios if AoE spam). Not to mention you can be under The Arrow's effect, allowing you to cast healing spells quicker. Couple those ability with Synastry's flat healing bonus (+20%), and you should be able to save your teamates from dangerous situations quite easily.

Keep in mind one thing: your cards are your best assets. Sure, Lady Luck can be quite teaseful at times, but most of the time you should be able to get very useful cards. Do not neglect the effect of The Balance and of The Arrow on your party's DPS (an enlarged royal road on everyone with one of those two effects is noticeable, to say the least, and is incredibly potent in a 8 men party). Even cards such as Bole can have their usefulness in some situations for you Tank or party (and since you can't choose your cards, you may as well do best with what you get). Ewer can refill the MP of your co-healer if he died recently, or can even be used on everyone: your Bard with Foe Requiem and your Summoner who keep raising people who die in mecanics will appreciate (any likeness with real game situations is purely coincidential). The only card you want to shuffle immediately is Spear.
In any case, remember to do the following things:
  • Always draw cards and use them for a Buff or Royal Road or a Spread if you want to fish for a specific royal road for it. Always. Do not not draw cards. You can draw cards every 30 sec. Do it. You have no excuses if you forget about them. People want you for those cards. USE THEM OR I'LL BATH IN A POOL OF YOUR OWN BLOOD.
  • Use Time Dilation on your best DPS when he is under the Balance or the Arrow's effect (Arrow for Black Mages mainly, but once again, make with what you get).
  • Celestial Opposition extends duration of beneficial effects cast on self and party members by 10 seconds. Ie. your cards' buffs will last longer. Use it, especially after an enlarged Royal Road with Balance/Arrow. I met too many AST who don't seem to know this ability's usefulness.

Tanking (and healing) is really rough in a way that I think people who don't tank don't really appreciate. The rotation is easier, sure, but there's that constant pressure to not screw up, and you always have to take extra steps to be super considerate towards everyone else in your party, and often the party does shit that bothers you but you have to suck it up because it's your job. You're often left picking up after everyone else's shit.

Tanks and healers get blamed for everything.

With tanking though you have nothing to fear since you get instant queues for everything (except 24 man). Even if you get kicked you can get into another instance usually less than a minute later, most likely with a group that doesn't have douchebags in it.

It's nice that they're gonna have English recaps on the stream after every segment.

So no English text below the JP bullet points? Well I guess a recap at the end is better than nothing.

Astro card optimization is simple. Is it balance? No? Royal road or discard it. Almost none of the cards matter including bole.

There are very rare cases where any other card matter.

Also giving a bard the mp card is just doing it wrong.

O never give the skillspeed card to a monk ninja paladin or dragoon. You'll ruin their dps

dramatis

I need a dude to go to my yard and water the plants.

There's 4 in one plot (the corners?) and 1 in one corner in the other plot.

Nohar

Astro card optimization is simple. Is it balance? No? Royal road or discard it. Almost none of the cards matter including bole.

There are very rare cases where any other card matter.

Also giving a bard the mp card is just doing it wrong.

O never give the skillspeed card to a monk ninja paladin or dragoon. You'll ruin their dps

You don't choose the cards. Shuffle can only get you so far with bad luck. Better use the cards you get (if after Shuffle you can't pick the ones you want) than to waste them chasing after only one card out of a deck of six. I won't argue that The Balance isn't overpowered, that much is a given, but is it worth completely forgoing all the others? I kind of disagree.
Also, I specifically mentioned using the MP card on everyone, with the Bard getting the effect as a bonus (never use a single-target MP regen on Bard, that obviously would be dumb).
Finally, The Arrow is better than nothing (and actually may be a better alternative than the Balance on a Black Mage, as they really need that speed boost to cast their spells in time without having to drop some of their casts because of mecanics). I don't see how the skillspeed bonus would ruin the DPS of the jobs you mentioned unless they never use Invigorate* (not to mention there are fights where they won't be able to hit the boss for a while, when dodging mecanics for example, allowing them to replenish their TP in between). That being said, I can see a double-lenght Arrow (+ Time Dilation) causing issues with the jobs you mentioned running out of TP, even with Invigorate, and I guess I wouldn't use it on them (AoE-Arrow seems safe from my point of view).
* Granted, the Paladin can't refresh his TP easily as far as I know.
That being said, if there are empyrical evidence that the Arrow is actually detrimental to the DPS of a group in an Alexander raid, I would gladly hear you and take back my words if proven wrong.
Finally, Bole on a tank allows him to take less damage for quite a while (especially if the duration is doubled: -20% damage for a whole minute is huge). They take less damage, you need to heal them less often, and you and your co-healer can have an easier time DPSing the boss without having to worry so much about your tank (though, well, how your tank is geared and how they play is also a huge factor). Thus it is a DPS increase (very minor compared to The Arrow or The Balance, but a DPS increase nonetheless), assuming the healers don't stay idle when they don't need to heal of course.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
You don't choose the cards. Shuffle can only get you so far with bad luck. Better use the cards you get (if after Shuffle you can't pick the ones you want) than to waste them chasing after only one card out of a deck of six. I won't argue that The Balance isn't overpowered, that much is a given, but is it worth completely forgoing all the others? I kind of disagree.
Also, I specifically mentioned using the MP card on everyone, with the Bard getting the effect as a bonus (never use a single-target MP regen on Bard, that obviously would be dumb).
Finally, The Arrow is better than nothing (and actually may be a better alternative than the Balance on a Black Mage, as they really need that speed boost to cast their spells in time without having to drop some of their casts because of mecanics). I don't see how the skillspeed bonus would ruin the DPS of the jobs you mentioned unless they never use Invigorate* (not to mention there are fights where they won't be able to hit the boss for a while, when dodging mecanics for example, allowing them to replenish their TP in between).
That being said, if there are empyrical evidence that the Arrow is actually detrimental to the DPS of a group in an Alexander raid, I would gladly hear you and take back my words if proven wrong.

AOE Ewer is 660 MP total, that will give the bard one tick of Foe Requiem. Useless. If you're gonna Ewer the bard, buff it up.

Finally, The Arrow is better than nothing (and actually may be a better alternative than the Balance on a Black Mage, as they really need that speed boost to cast their spells in time without having to drop some of their casts because of mecanics). I don't see how the skillspeed bonus would ruin the DPS of the jobs you mentioned unless they never use Invigorate* (not to mention there are fights where they won't be able to hit the boss for a while, when dodging mecanics for example, allowing them to replenish their TP in between). That being said, I can see a double-lenght Arrow (+ Time Dilation) causing issues with the jobs you mentioned running out of TP, even with Invigorate, and I guess I wouldn't use it on them (AoE-Arrow seems safe from my point of view).
Finally, Bole on a tank allows him to take less damage for quite a while (especially if the duration is doubled: -20% damage for a whole minute is huge). They take less damage, you need to heal them less often, and you and your co-healer can have an easier time DPSing the boss without having to worry so much about your tank (though, well, how your tank is geared and how they play is also a huge factor). Thus it is a DPS increase (very minor compared to The Arrow or The Balance, but a DPS increase nonetheless), assuming the healers don't stay idle when they don't need to heal of course.

The theory craft has already been done. I'm at work so i can't link it but just Google bokchoy astro optimization. Almost every top end raider will tell you fishing for balance is better than holding on to cards.

Sks hinders dps by clipping gcds. After a certain threshold it lowers your dps. Also a9s and a10s almost have 100% dps uptime. Sks is just a bad card period outside of brd.

And in the long run balance will mitigate more dmg to the raid then bole ever will.

Skipping double scrap in a9s, skipping tank busters and adds in a10s, skipping lapis/shield/limitcut/optical sight in a11s

Talaysen

Ewer still helps SMN even if they don't have to resurrect people because it allows them to toss out some extra Ruin IIIs outside of Dreadwyrm Stance for a direct DPS increase. Not better than Balance or Arrow of course, but it's something.

Arrow doesn't decrease DPS. In the absolute worst case where you are running on empty, it offers no benefit other than increasing speed of auto-attacks, which is still a DPS increase (albeit a very small one). In cases where Arrow would run you out of TP quicker, you just end up getting a burst to DPS when the card goes out in exchange for less DPS later, but overall it won't lower your total.

Ewer still helps SMN even if they don't have to resurrect people because it allows them to toss out some extra Ruin IIIs outside of Dreadwyrm Stance for a direct DPS increase. Not better than Balance or Arrow of course, but it's something.

Arrow doesn't decrease DPS. In the absolute worst case where you are running on empty, it offers no benefit other than increasing speed of auto-attacks, which is still a DPS increase (albeit a very small one). In cases where Arrow would run you out of TP quicker, you just end up getting a burst to DPS when the card goes out in exchange for less DPS later, but overall it won't lower your total.

Gcd clipping is a huge dps loss. Its why its better for ninjas to use shuriken then raiton if they are bad and clio their mudras.

Also not having enough tp to keep up botd? Lol?

There even a video of a monk with 1k sks and using an ogcd lowers his dps due to clipping

Edit
Wait sks doesn't increase auto attacks.

Talaysen

Gcd clipping is a huge dps loss. Its why its better for ninjas to use shuriken then raiton if they are bad and clio their mudras.

Also not having enough tp to keep up botd? Lol?

There even a video of a monk with 1k sks and using an ogcd lowers his dps due to clipping

Edit
Wait sks doesn't increase auto attacks.

I don't see how clipping lowers DPS compared to having a slower GCD. If I have a 2.4s GCD and need the full 2.4 seconds to use two oGCDs, then changing my GCD to 2.3s and clipping just means that GCD still ended up 2.4 seconds and I've changed nothing. There's no DPS loss here. And my autos are faster.

The comparison between Shuriken and Raiton is between using less oGCDs and not clipping vs. more oGCDs and clipping, given a certain GCD speed. That's not the same as comparing two different GCD speeds. I assume that's the same thing that's happening with that monk you're mentioning but I haven't seen that video.

Skill speed doesn't increase auto attacks, but attack speed buffs (such as Arrow) do.

I don't see how clipping lowers DPS compared to having a slower GCD. If I have a 2.4s GCD and need the full 2.4 seconds to use two oGCDs, then changing my GCD to 2.3s and clipping just means that GCD still ended up 2.4 seconds and I've changed nothing. There's no DPS loss here. And my autos are faster.

The comparison between Shuriken and Raiton is between using less oGCDs and not clipping vs. more oGCDs and clipping, given a certain GCD speed. That's not the same as comparing two different GCD speeds. I assume that's the same thing that's happening with that monk you're mentioning but I haven't seen that video.

Skill speed doesn't increase auto attacks, but attack speed buffs (such as Arrow) do.

I see this going nowhere when there is already plenty of math and data to prove that sks hurts certain class once past a point. Look up drg sks deadzone

You want to believe what you want.

Because GCDs don't exist in a vaccuum, you have buffs and DoTs you need to refresh at specific times, if you attack too fast then your rotations get botched because you'll end up having to refresh things too early or too late, meaning big DPS losses. That's not even considering double weaving.

Talaysen

There's nothing forcing you to "attack too fast" though.

Let's assume as an example my normal GCD is 2.4s and Arrow pushes it down to 2.35s, and supposedly at 2.35s I do less DPS if I follow my rotation. There's absolutely nothing stopping me from waiting 2.4s between every GCD and keeping the same DPS as if I didn't get an Arrow card, which means that Arrow card did not lower my DPS.

I know that the kneejerk response to this is "waiting on GCD is bad". If that's true, then that means that hitting a button every 2.35s is better than hitting a button every 2.4s and thus Arrow increased my DPS.

I looked up the dragoon dead zone thing. He says there's a DPS loss but I'm not sure what that's being compared to. Because a dragoon with 2.36s GCD cannot do less damage than a dragoon with 2.38s GCD assuming all other stats are equal, because in the worst case the former can just wait the extra 0.02s per GCD and do exactly the same damage.

(And yes, I know about opportunity cost but that's not what this argument was about.)

That assumes you have the superhuman reflexes to wait exactly 0.05 seconds between casts, not counting any latency or anything, which is super silly.

Ironically waiting out your skills defeats the whole point of having sks.

Back to what i said. Card optimization majority of the time is "is it balance? No? Rr or trash it"

Skipping mechanics is more raid mitigation than bole will ever be.

Talaysen

I was just giving a proof on concept, not a strict requirement, it's actually much more lenient than that. If you run out of TP then that's where you lose that 0.05s per GCD you could've waited beforehand anyway. As long as you're always pushing buttons during buffs and not dropping momentum buffs you won't lose DPS compared to a slower GCD. At worst it'll be the same.

The ideal situation is to always be attacking during buffs, never drop a momentum buff until you're supposed to, and end the fight at 0 TP. If you can do this with whatever speed you have, then getting more generally won't help but it also won't hurt if you adjust appropriately.

I was only pointing out that the statement that Arrow ruins DPS is not true, not that Arrow is better than Balance. I even explicitly stated that in the worst case the DPS increase is very small if not zero. But if you really want to use an AoE Arrow you should hit everyone with it, even the melee DPS. It's not going to hurt them.

I was just giving a proof on concept, not a strict requirement, it's actually much more lenient than that. If you run out of TP then that's where you lose that 0.05s per GCD you could've waited beforehand anyway. As long as you're always pushing buttons during buffs and not dropping momentum buffs you won't lose DPS compared to a slower GCD. At worst it'll be the same.
No, you lose that way before you run out of TP. You're essentially manually adding latency to your GCDs which is also a considerable DPS loss. At worst you're losing ticks on DoTs which is not the same at all. You can argue the DPS loss is not relevant enough to give a shit but if you're going for optimization then you're losing damage period.

This is why 2.0 BRDs avoided skill speed like the plague.
The ideal situation is to always be attacking during buffs, never drop a momentum buff until you're supposed to, and end the fight at 0 TP. If you can do this with whatever speed you have, then getting more generally won't help but it also won't hurt if you adjust appropriately.
You're ignoring how having specific GCD values enables certain rotations and going over/under them screws those jobs over. If I have too much skill speed as a MNK for example suddenly I'm having to pad my rotations with Fracture way more often so I don't lose Demo/ToD ticks which will absolutely destroy my TP pool even with Invigorate being used on the clock, specially in fights with a lot of uptime.

Obviously there are situations where Arrow is fine but in general I'd be pretty annoyed as a melee if I got Arrow'd lol

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there an easy way to buy Encyclopedia Eorzea in English in Japan (aside from actually going to the fanfest)? Playing with English text so the Japanese version would probably just confuse me. Will get it if there's no other option though.

Talaysen

No, you lose that way before you run out of TP. You're essentially manually adding latency to your GCDs which is also a considerable DPS loss.

All I'm saying if you don't wait 0.05s per GCD now, you lose that same time once you run out of TP. You can choose to do it yourself earlier or be forced to do it later.

Basically, if a fight is ten minutes long, then you have 13000 TP to work with before Invigorate or ~14600 after. If your skill speed is high enough (and the fight has little downtime), THAT is your limiting factor, not the length of your GCD. So waiting on GCDs matters much less, because you can only do so many GCDs in the fight anyway. At that point it's a matter of optimizing which GCDs to do when. My "baseline" in the comparison of 2.35s vs. 2.4s GCD was whatever rotation you use for the 2.4s GCD. You can ALWAYS wait 0.05s every GCD and fall back on the 2.4s GCD rotation and lose zero DPS. I'm saying that you don't even have to exactly wait 0.05s every single GCD. It doesn't matter when so much as long as you aren't missing out on buffed GCDs or dropping momentum buffs or losing DoT ticks (I forgot this one and possibly other things?). My wording was pretty poor there and I apologize for that.

I'm not even necessarily saying that waiting is better. But I have noticed that in fights with long uptime, that if I run out of TP and I have buffs coming off cooldown, it's sometimes better overall DPS to slow down a bit to make sure I can fit the max number of GCDs in those buff windows, as long as I don't drop other stuff.

At worst you're losing ticks on DoTs which is not the same at all. You can argue the DPS loss is not relevant enough to give a shit but if you're going for optimization then you're losing damage period.

This is why 2.0 BRDs avoided skill speed like the plague.

As long as you're always pushing buttons during buffs and not dropping momentum buffs you won't lose DPS compared to a slower GCD.

I forgot "don't lose DoT ticks" on this list, yes. It is very important.

BRDs avoided skill speed because the benefits were very minor compared to other stats, not because it actually hurt their DPS. It's an opportunity cost thing.

You're ignoring how having specific GCD values enables certain rotations and going over/under them screws those jobs over. If I have too much skill speed as a MNK for example suddenly I'm having to pad my rotations with Fracture way more often so I don't lose Demo/ToD ticks which will absolutely destroy my TP pool even with Invigorate being used on the clock, specially in fights with a lot of uptime.

Obviously there are situations where Arrow is fine but in general I'd be pretty annoyed as a melee if I got Arrow'd lol

Well, if skill speed enables a better rotation then it obviously helped. I'm mostly arguing against the statement that in some cases it actually hurts you, which sort of implies it doesn't enable a better rotation, so I wasn't really mentioning it. But since you brought it up, if there is a better rotation that can be done at a higher speed, you can do more DPS with that rotation than simulating the lower speed rotation. If one doesn't exist then you may not be gaining anything from the extra skill speed.

In your case with Fracture, you could simply wait a GCD instead of using Fracture to simulate the lower skill speed rotation, and that would be the same DPS as that rotation as long as you don't lose buffed GCDs/DoT ticks/etc. I don't think that's better than using Fracture, which would mean that the skill speed increased DPS overall (again, compared to same stats elsewhere).

I do agree that melee is not the best to put an Arrow on, but I don't think purposely avoiding them with an AoE Arrow is the proper decision.

I think I need to make it clear than I'm not saying skill speed and Arrow are great or even good. All I'm saying is that their weight is not below zero. It's not a particularly high bar here.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Who is trying to claim Fracture isn't the best skill in the game?! It does 20 potency every 3 seconds! That's like doing damage... but again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom