• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Just reupped my sub. Let it lapse while I played some other games. I'm slogging through what I think is nearing the end of ARR? Trying to find the airship. Level 38 right now. I think I need to do some leveling outside of main quest though. I was a level short just to do the latest line.

I want to get the expansion but I suspect I'm not going to be able to use it right away due to my low level and progression.

Reknoc

Just reupped my sub. Let it lapse while I played some other games. I'm slogging through what I think is nearing the end of ARR? Trying to find the airship. Level 38 right now. I think I need to do some leveling outside of main quest though. I was a level short just to do the latest line.

I want to get the expansion but I suspect I'm not going to be able to use it right away due to my low level and progression.

In terms of distance the ending to ARR is like, not even in the same time zone as you, even if you don't count the post release content patches.

Oh you have a long ways to go, friend. I've been playing for over a month and I still haven't gotten to the expansion.

Pachimari

Oh dayum, look what I got in today!

ZSG8t6B.jpg

Vitanimus

I'm finding AST kinda difficult to juggle with the amount of new mechanics it introduces. I've just come over from SMN so have never really healed before, and haven't got anything like the Royal Road and Shuffle actions. From what I can gather:

• Balance = Damage = DPS
  • Bole = Damage Reduction = Tank
  • Arrow = Attack Speed Up = DPS
  • Spear = oGCD Up (I think?) = Melee DPS
  • Ewer = MP refresh = Healer/Caster DPS
  • Spire = TP Regresh = Melee DPS
does this look about right?

I'm finding AST kinda difficult to juggle with the amount of new mechanics it introduces. I'm just come over from SMN so have never really healed before, and haven't got anything like the Royal Road and Shuffle actions. From what I can gather:

• Balance = Damage = DPS
Don't give mp card to blm. It'll mess up their rotation/timing

Arrow only to brd and blm.

ebil

I'm finding AST kinda difficult to juggle with the amount of new mechanics it introduces. I'm just come over from SMN so have never really healed before, and haven't got anything like the Royal Road and Shuffle actions. From what I can gather:

• Balance = Damage = DPS
In a light party situation:

- Try fishing for Balances. Spread your Balances if you're in between pulls.
- Redraw if you don't get a Balance on your first Draw.
- Expanded (AOE) Royal Road mostly sucks in light parties because potency is halved and PUGs are bad.
- Don't be afraid to right click a card if it sucks. Every card you use that isn't a Balance is a DPS loss (it's a bit more nuanced in a light party situation but that's the gist of it)
- Balance on whoever does the most DPS.
- Bole on the tank if they pull big and you're DPSing is probably the most mileage you can get out of this card. Redraw if possible, Royal Road if you don't need.
- Spire if melees are bleeding TPs. Works well with Overpower spam, but not a great card overall if people are doing their job. Redraw if you can, don't Royal Road.
- Ewer is great on yourself if you're DPSing a lot. I personally tend to bottom out on big pulls if they last too long. It can mess up with a BLM rotation so avoid giving it to them. Decent for SMN. Redraw if you can, don't Royal Road.
- Arrow is not as good as Balance but still okay on single target BLM. Can mess with BLM MP ticks when AOEing. It's decent on BRD as well. Royal Road if you can.
- Spear is useless but good Royal Road fodder. Royal Road if you can.

Vitanimus

Don't give mp card to blm. It'll mess up their rotation/timing

Arrow only to brd and blm.

In a light party situation:

- Try fishing for Balances. Spread your Balances if you're in between pulls.
- Redraw if you don't get a Balance on your first Draw.
- Expanded (AOE) Royal Road mostly sucks in light parties because potency is halved and PUGs are bad.
- Don't be afraid to right click a card if it sucks. Every card you use that isn't a Balance is a DPS loss (it's a bit more nuanced in a light party situation but that's the gist of it)
- Balance on whoever does the most DPS.
- Bole on the tank if they pull big and you're DPSing is probably the most mileage you can get out of this card. Redraw if possible, Royal Road if you don't need.
- Spire if melees are bleeding TPs. Works well with Overpower spam, but not a great card overall if people are doing their job. Redraw if you can, don't Royal Road.
- Ewer is great on yourself if you're DPSing a lot. I personally tend to bottom out on big pulls if they last too long. It can mess up with a BLM rotation so avoid giving it to them. Decent for SMN. Redraw if you can, don't Royal Road.
- Arrow is not as good as Balance but still okay on single target BLM. Can mess with BLM MP ticks when AOEing. It's decent on BRD as well. Royal Road if you can.
- Spear is useless but good Royal Road fodder. Royal Road if you can.

Thanks both! It seems pretty apparent that AST really shines when you have a solid awareness of every other class and their skills etc, which I don't. I'm gonna level up a bit of CNJ and do some low level healing just to get into the swing of things before trying more AST.

Vic_Viper

Just found out they are having a 4 day free login period for players that have stopped playing. Do I need to do anything special to get in on this? I've been wanting to get back in but have been looking for a way to download the client before resubbing.

Also has there been any more news regarding Stormblood? Any idea when the next reveal will be?

Squishy3

Just found out they are having a 4 day free login period for players that have stopped playing. Do I need to do anything special to get in on this? I've been wanting to get back in but have been looking for a way to download the client before resubbing.
Nope, just login and start downloading. If you've been inactive for more than a month you're eligible to login.

Is the Baron Helm (Dark Knight Cecil's helmet) obtainable in the game besides the Collector's Edition? I just got the game delivered from the Square Enix store during Black Friday (comes with both the main game and Heavensward) and I'm still unsure if I should keep it or not. But if the helmet is obtainable then it would make my decision easier.

Is the Baron Helm (Dark Knight Cecil's helmet) obtainable in the game besides the Collector's Edition? I just got the game delivered from the Square Enix store during Black Friday (comes with both the main game and Heavensward) and I'm still unsure if I should keep it or not. But if the helmet is obtainable then it would make my decision easier.
It's not

None of the CE items are besides the Fantasia potion, for that matter

garath

I keep running into a level requirement for MSQ. I get a level, knock off a few then have to grind a bit. Guess I should spend some time doing challenge logs and PotD. level 40 now so it's moving but slowly.

Hikami

Looks like I'll be leveling tanks through PotD instead now. :I
DF is too stressful

Did a dungeon and got told I have bad gear when I had the best gear available at my level and even melded with vitality materia. It's like they expect a synced down tank with end game gear so they don't actually have to heal. Healer died at the last boss and the BLM healed me just fine with physick lol.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
DF is too stressful

Did a dungeon and got told I have bad gear when I had the best gear available at my level and even melded with vitality materia. It's like they expect a synced down tank with end game gear so they don't actually have to heal. Healer died at the last boss and the BLM healed me just fine with physick lol.

It think that's as much proof as necessary that you can just ignore people who say that.

ChazGW7

Bought this game for my friend for Christmas to basically force him to play it with me. He's super into WoW so I am hoping when he gives this game a chance he will see something to enjoy.

Bought this game years ago but never did get very far, probably not even past level 15. Excited to give it another chance, plus with a friend.

Pachimari

Bought this game for my friend for Christmas to basically force him to play it with me. He's super into WoW so I am hoping when he gives this game a chance he will see something to enjoy.

Bought this game years ago but never did get very far, probably not even past level 15. Excited to give it another chance, plus with a friend.

What server are you on? If you're on Ultros we could team up too.

Awe, silly me! I thought the free login promotion was 96 hours of game time throughout the period advertised. I activated it a few days ago thinking i'd play a bit through out the month. Re-reading it clearly states its 3 days from when you first log in, i must have been tired when i first read it.

I should resub though, i do miss the game. Will have to be in January though.

Question for those playing on the PS4 Pro, how is your experience so far?

wamberz1

DF is too stressful

Trust me, Running POTD instead isn't going to decrease your chances of running into idiots. At. All.
You should continue grinding DF if you are trying to level tanks as the instant queue times make it slightly faster than running POTD. DPS is POTD all day ery day.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Downed A11S last night. We got super lucky during final phase's Limit Cut. We had a guy down when 1-8 started so one guy didn't get a number after getting ressed, but he stood in the place of 8 anyway, and the boss randomly charged him as if he actually had 8.

That bought us enough time to clear the rest of the fight.

And yes, A12S looks just like T13 right now. I'm glad the add phase doesn't seem as bullshit though. It's just a super strong dps/heal check and doesn't have as much "pull this shit here while looking this way and stun this shit and then cooldown this other shit while also watching for height on the floor" bullshit.

I think I'm getting pretty jaded about this game.

Anilusion

Just found my code from the 2015 square christmas bundle, downloading the game atm. How good is the game without Heavensward? Worth playing without it at all?

Awesome. I know next to nothing about the game, are there any recommended beginner guides to get started?

This list is a good resource for when you can unlock stuff and what quest you need to take to do so.

Otherwise, I'd recommend picking a DPS class (Archer, Lancer, Pugilist, Thaumaturge, Arcanist) over a tank/healer when you're going through the game for the first time and learning how the combat system works.

Hikami

Trust me, Running POTD instead isn't going to decrease your chances of running into idiots. At. All.
You should continue grinding DF if you are trying to level tanks as the instant queue times make it slightly faster than running POTD. DPS is POTD all day ery day.

I leveled Rogue/Ninja to 60 the majority of the time in PotD so I'm pretty familiar with the type of people you run into there. I think I'll still do it to get to 50 though and then go back to dungeons.

Akuun

The bit about sexy outfits is one reason why I like this game. It's appropriately fantasy-looking and while there are fanservicey outfits, it does it roughly equally for both genders, and the game is not so over-the-top about any of it that you'd feel embarrassed playing in front of non-gamers.

It's not like TERA where everyone is half naked and running around swinging popsicle sticks or some shit, which would make everyone who doesn't play the game go "wtf is this shit?"

I think the point that Yoshi-P is making is that because the game doesn't obviously cater to any one demographic, other demographics don't feel intimidated about trying it out. And that's a very good thing.

The developers understand that Final Fantasy XIV’s first half isn’t that fun, but it’s something they wonder about, whether it’d be a good idea to introduce complicated skills and systems to new players right off the bat.

The combat isn't the problem of the game's first half. The problem is being forced to go through the first half. At some point in the future, they will have to offer some way for players to jump straight to the latest content. I cannot imagine a new player coming to the game two or three expansions later, and not minding having to go through the base game. It's just so tedious and not interesting. So many fetch quests. The game is already so much better in the 2.X patches. I know for a fact that my friend would subscribe if he could jump straight to Heavensward; he simply does not want to have to go through the base game. And I don't blame him. One month later, playing around six hours a day, I have yet to reach it. It's a good thing I am unemployed right now, because I would have probably never put in the effort to get into the game otherwise.

I'd say skimpy outfits are even stronger on male characters considering some of the "pretty much naked" glamours you can make lol

And overall I feel the XIV community at least has a sense of what is tasteful and not, it's really really really rare for me to see a female character in full blown bikinis or something like that.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I'd say skimpy outfits are even stronger on male characters considering some of the "pretty much naked" glamours you can make lol

And overall I feel the XIV community at least has a sense of what is tasteful and not, it's really really really rare for me to see a female character in full blown bikinis or something like that.

Never go to Balmung. Keep your sanity.

Akuun

I find it actually a good indication of whether a female character is controlled by a guy or a girl.

If the character's outfit looks tacky, as if it was designed purely to be looked at by a guy, then it's probably a guy playing that character.

If the character's outfit looks like something that a girl might actually wear, then it could be a girl playing that character.

Revealing outfits don't have to look dumb, but some people don't understand the difference between looking sexy but cool, and just looking tacky.

Vic_Viper

The combat isn't the problem of the game's first half. The problem is being forced to go through the first half. At some point in the future, they will have to offer some way for players to jump straight to the latest content. I cannot imagine a new player coming to the game two or three expansions later, and not minding having to go through the base game. It's just so tedious and not interesting. So many fetch quests. The game is already so much better in the 2.X patches. I know for a fact that my friend would subscribe if he could jump straight to Heavensward; he simply does not want to have to go through the base game. And I don't blame him. One month later, playing around six hours a day, I have yet to reach it. It's a good thing I am unemployed right now, because I would have probably never put in the effort to get into the game otherwise.

This is something I really wish they would implement. WoW did a really good job with their expansions by allowing players to get a free character at the minimum level required to start the latest expansions content. Hope Square does something along those lines with Stormblood. Although I'm not sure how they would do it since you really only play one character with any class. Some players might not like having to pick up a new char and start from square one again. New players would certainly benefit from it but they would need a tutorial of sorts like Blizzard did with the Death Knight hero class.

Akuun

This is something I really wish they would implement. WoW did a really good job with their expansions by allowing players to get a free character at the minimum level required to start the latest expansions content. Hope Square does something along those lines with Stormblood. Although I'm not sure how they would do it since you really only play one character with any class. Some players might not like having to pick up a new char and start from square one again. New players would certainly benefit from it but they would need a tutorial of sorts like Blizzard did with the Death Knight hero class.
They do have a tutorial program of sorts with the whole Novice Arena thing, where it puts you through a few basic drills and mechanics. Maybe they could expand that to include higher-level characters and skill usage.

There was also talk of simplifying rotations to reduce ability bloat, which I think is a good thing. The sheer number of buttons in a rotation means that an increase in level cap (plus the accompanying skills) would likely make some people run out of hotbar space.

Besides, there's no way anyone would want to explain the current average level 60 opener to someone unfamiliar with MMOs.

Yeah, the game straight up needs to have some way of skipping ARR/HW for SB. Taking like 100 hours to reach the expansion content is insane, I can't even imagine what being a brand new player in Stormblood will be like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom