• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

Unknown Soldier said:
Why don't you go back to the official reviews haters gonna hate thread and leave us alone. Go back to your beloved Vana'diel or something and enjoy the PS2-era graphics. This thread is for people who are actually playing the game to discuss the actual game, and you don't qualify on either prerequisite.

Bringing up FFXI's launch problems is discussing this game? He simply refuted people's continuing delusion that this launch (a full 8 years after the same company's original effort) will somehow be along the same path that the first took, and pointing out the ridiculousness that the company seems to have learned nothing in that period going into this launch.

This is why the review thread probably shouldn't have been closed. Yeah, it had gotten totally out of control, but it was bound to derail this thread.

Londa

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Pot to kettle, pot to kettle, you are black.
He knew what I was trying to say by using ffxi as a paralle of what is going on now(I didn't excuse the game). I'm agreeing with most of what has been said but you people always want to make a damn debate about it. I'll continue to discuss what I please as long as I break no forum rules.

Kandinsky

Unknown Soldier said:
Why don't you go back to the official reviews haters gonna hate thread and leave us alone. Go back to your beloved Vana'diel or something and enjoy the PS2-era graphics. This thread is for people who are actually playing the game to discuss the actual game, and you don't qualify on either prerequisite.
Stop talking about my beloved FFXI here then, i have a sense for these things mang.

Soule

I'm not playing FFXIV or anythign atm, just popped in out of curiosity... Should this thread be in the Online sub-forum?

Soule said:
I'm not playing FFXIV or anythign atm, just popped in out of curiosity... Should this thread be in the Online sub-forum?

No.

Hey guys I just got booted and can't get back on, R0 after my internet messed up, guess I'll be doing R20 leves tomorrow if anyone wants to try some @ rank 13.
--------------
Oh just needed to wait for my guy to time out, back on.

Subxero

pancakesandsex said:
No.

Hey guys I just got booted and can't get back on, R0 after my internet messed up, guess I'll be doing R20 leves tomorrow if anyone wants to try some @ rank 13.
--------------

I had that happen to me week before last. I just waited an 15mins or so and was able to get back on. That was when the servers were packed though, so I don't know if that kept me from logging in.

I've only had a handful of crashes and DCs but they always seemed to happen while I was doing a leve.

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
I love how you bring up graphics. You know, the only thing that's improved between XI and XIV? :lol

Cmagus

As much as I have been complaining about this game I am still a sucker for it.Granted I am still very unhappy with it but fuck it I want to play it haha. I'm off tomorrow and it's 12 at night but I'm gonna do my leves and grind up my conj tonight lol.Im on Fabul if anyone is playing and wants to join up.Also I wanna ask how exactly does guildmarks work? I have a ton of them and I looked online but I am still not entirely sure about them.

Teknoman

I'll be back online early tomorrow, so hopefully I can snag a pearl from the temp LS then. Work/classes are finally winding down abit

Jinko

Cmagus said:
As much as I have been complaining about this game I am still a sucker for it.Granted I am still very unhappy with it but fuck it I want to play it haha. I'm off tomorrow and it's 12 at night but I'm gonna do my leves and grind up my conj tonight lol.Im on Fabul if anyone is playing and wants to join up.Also I wanna ask how exactly does guildmarks work? I have a ton of them and I looked online but I am still not entirely sure about them.

Go talk to one of the NPC's at your class guild, you can use them to buy extra skills.

Atrus

Gold Member
Cmagus said:

Guildmarks are class specific currencies that you can obtain through levequests which, for now, allows you to buy abilities and traits from that classes guild store.

Since you can only buy abilities once you hit the required level to use the ability, you'll pretty much gain far more marks than you can use for the time being.

The only exception lies with the crafting guilds since you can buy crystals with them. Ironically, crafting guildmarks tend to be harder to get than DoW/DoM ones.

notworksafe said:
I love how you bring up graphics. You know, the only thing that's improved between XI and XIV? :lol

Graphics is a good place to start. The rest will come with time, like every other MMOG ever released.

The mods need to do something about the trollers who migrated from the reviews haters gonna hate thread to this one. There's a good goddamned reason that thread was closed, and they shouldn't let this thread go to shit because people actually do talk about (not?) having fun playing the game in this thread unlike the reviews thread.

pancakesandsex said:
No.

--------------

Timeout can be up to 10 minutes depending on your character's state when you were dc'ed from the world. It's actually pretty funny, one time Rentahamster timed out during a leve and his character stayed there for the full 10 minutes, we were able to finish the leve during that 10 minutes and when he logged back on he was able to touch the crystal and get the reward for the leve. :lol

If you're on around 8pm Pacific I'd love to do leves with my sub-job, PUG 12.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Timeout can be up to 10 minutes depending on your character's state when you were dc'ed from the world. It's actually pretty funny, one time Rentahamster timed out during a leve and his character stayed there for the full 10 minutes, we were able to finish the leve during that 10 minutes and when he logged back on he was able to touch the crystal and get the reward for the leve. :lol

If you're on around 8pm Pacific I'd love to do leves with my sub-job, PUG 12.
Yeah, that was pretty funny. It's weird, though, that time last night when you got DCed during R20 leves, I thought the same thing was gonna happen so I quickly changed to Marauder and was planning on blasting through the leve before your character vanished. To my surprise, however, your character vanished a minute later and you logged back on. Too bad, since that means you failed the leve.

Anyway, my lancer is rank 11 now, so we can party with Dental's CON sub and bust some faces in.

kiryogi

Banned
So sorry Ive been missing out folks! Hopefully it's only this week. Tried to help out Kasumi with some leves but I was so drowsy halfway thru earlier. Been in bed since D:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Meh. Good news for CONs and LNCs.

- Actions resulting in the acquisition of an item will be cancelled should the player already be in possession of the maximum number of that item.

- Repair NPCs will be displayed first for ease of targeting.

- Drop rates for certain items obtained from enemies have been adjusted.

- The effect of the Conjurer's trait "Fastcast" has been adjusted to increase casting speed by 20% rather than 10%.

- An issue wherein the FINAL FANTASY XIV client shut down while trading with a retainer has been addressed.

- An issue wherein enemy names were not properly displayed has been addressed.

- An issue wherein use of the Lancer trait "Fleet of Foot" yielded no effect has been addressed.

- An issue wherein players could not progress in the quest "A Piece of History" has been addressed.

- Drop rates for certain items obtained from enemies have been adjusted.

Anybody else think this might have something to do with skeletons and skull eyepatches? :lol

It might be a good idea for us to pull all the skull eyepatches out of our bazaars until we see what's what. If they suddenly become very rare drops, their value is going to shoot up dramatically.

Londa

Banned
Another Q&A

Party-Based Combat

Q. What is all this hubbub about a so-called “party bonus”?
A. The party bonus is a feature that increases the amount of skill points awarded to players from combat while in a party. This feature will be in effect so long as the difference in class ranks between all party members is between the range of ±5. In addition, the bonus will be greater the more party members there are.

Q. Why did the version update that went live on October 15, 2010 alter the party bonus to be based upon class rank rather than the number of party members?
A. Under the previous settings, since party bonuses were calculated solely on the number of party members, even players who were too low-level to effectively participate in combat were being awarded extra skill points simply by being present in the party. The alterations to the system were made to prevent exploitation of this in the form of “power leveling.”

Q. If I am in a party with someone beyond the ±5 class rank range, will I be getting less skill points than I would be if I were playing solo?
A. No. Rather, the amount of skill points awarded in these two instances would be the same, regardless of whether the player is solo or in a party. If a party bonus is not in effect, the amount of skill points capable of being obtained will be the same.

Q. Is it possible the class rank range for party bonuses will be adjusted in the future?
A. Since the merits of being in a party are significantly diminished in the absence of a party bonus, the feature will continue to be monitored and adjusted to ensure the legitimacy of party-based play, while minimizing any adverse effects to certain rank ranges or party compositions.

Guildleves

Q. What can you tell me about exchanging regional leves?
A. The exchange of regional leves may be carried out under any of the following circumstances:
The maximum of eight plates has been reached for the regional leve in your possession
You wish to abandon the duty of the regional leve in your possession
Supplementation of a completion bonus to the regional leve you wish to undertake

When exchanging regional leves, you may select up to four to exchange for the one you wish to receive. Should a regional leve in your possession be displayed in a white font, regardless of whether its status is completed, failed, or not yet undertaken, it may be selected for exchange. In the event that you select a leve already in your possession, your current leve will automatically be exchanged for the newer of the two.

Q. What should I do if I want to place a completion bonus on a regional leve?
A. When exchanging regional leves, a completion bonus will be attached should the number of ☆ marks be more than one. The bonus will be greater the larger the number of ☆ marks, up to a maximum of eight.

A regional leve with no completion bonus applied.

A regional leve with a completion bonus applied.

* When a completion bonus is applied, the reward in the leve completion window will be displayed in an orange font.

Q. How do I increase the number of ☆ marks?
A. Either of the following two methods may be used to increase the number of ☆ marks.
Exchange for a regional leve with a different issuing authority (☆ +1)
Exchange for a regional leve with a different motif (☆ +1)

Increasing the number of ☆ marks related to a leve’s reward in no way influences its degree of difficulty, nor impacts it in any other adverse way.

Q. What type of specific effects does increasing a regional leve’s degree of difficulty have?
A. Increasing the degree of difficulty will result in more powerful enemies, larger amounts of experience and skill points, and greater rewards. At present, the degree of difficulty may not be changed once a regional leve is underway, but the version update scheduled for late November will introduce a feature which allows players the option do so.

* Lowering the degree of difficulty will also cause the reward to be scaled down accordingly.

Q. I saw a treasure chest while I was out doing a regional levequest! Is there always a treasure chest somewhere on a levequest!?
A. While on a regional levequest, treasure chests may appear based on the levequest location, but there is no guarantee. The chances of a treasure chest appearing, however, may be increased through leve linking.* Upon opening these chests,** players will be rewarded with gil and, in rare instances, items. Should a chest be opened by a player in a party, gil will be automatically split and distributed to party members on the levequest, while items will be placed in a random member’s loot list.

* A leve link is created when a party member initiates a regional leve of which other party members are also in possession. Party members not in possession of the guildleve will not be part of the link, but instead will be leve sharing.
** Select the Examine command which appears in the Interactions menu when in proximity to a chest to open it.

Q. Why are there no rank 20 regional leves for miners outside of Limsa Lominsa?
A. Beyond rank 20, regional leves for Disciple of the Land classes are issued only from certain authorities. Below is a table displaying which nations issue leves for which classes.
Class Issuing Authority
Rank 20 Rank 30 Rank 40
Miner Limsa Lominsa Ul’dah Gridania
Botanist Ul’dah Gridania Limsa Lominsa
Fisher Gridania Limsa Lominsa Ul’dah

* After the November version update, all nations will issue regional leves for all classes, regardless of rank.

Quests

Q. Why can I no longer undertake the rank 20 armorer quest after accepting the rank 20 blacksmith quest?
A. The blacksmith and armorer class quests have been grouped together. Though players are free to choose either of the classes they wish, they will only be able to complete the quest for one of the two. For example, if a player has undertaken the rank 20 blacksmith quest, the rank 20 armorer quest will become unavailable. The player will, however, again become free to choose either blacksmith or armorer for the rank 30 quest. Quest content and rewards will be adjusted to fit the class chosen for the each quest.

* Quest progress for both classes can be viewed by opening main menu >> Journal >> Blacksmith & Armorer Quests.

I hope they know that people don't want just class quest, they want random quest with story and item rewards at the end...

Coldsnap

So how long until disgruntled fans hit SE servers with DDOS attacks? The servers seem weak enough already. I couldn't play for 2-3 months because of DDOS attacks in 11, I betcha it happens again.

Londa

Banned
the game is fun despite its flaws. Some people choose to just play and ignore them, or stop playing and wait for them to be fixed. What is the point of attacking the servers? No one is paying SE this month.

Coldsnap said:
So how long until disgruntled fans hit SE servers with DDOS attacks? The servers seem weak enough already. I couldn't play for 2-3 months because of DDOS attacks in 11, I betcha it happens again.

More like 2-3 days. I remember the Chinese DDoS attacks and it was not THAT bad. :lol

Coldsnap

mcdomination said:
More like 2-3 days. I remember the Chinese DDoS attacks and it was not THAT bad. :lol

I remember there was 2-3 months of where I was only able to get past the login screen probably three times a week. At the time I didn't know what DDoS attacks were and I thought it was my DSL connection, it was driving me mad.

Londa said:
the game is fun despite its flaws. Some people choose to just play and ignore them, or stop playing and wait for them to be fixed. What is the point of attacking the servers? No one is paying SE this month.

Someone is getting paid. Right? RIGHT?

Londa

Banned
Coldsnap said:
They attacked the servers when they were paying monthly, I'm pretty sure they have no qualms about that.
That is my point. Its a free trail no need to be mad until you are paying for shitty service.

jiggle

still not a word on fixing the solo problem :lol
guess they're really ignorant of it
seriously i can't be the ONLY person trying to rank up around this range or something!??

edit: is the lodestone blog the only place they're getting their feedbacks from?
guess i'll need to carry my daily bitching to that place

Coldsnap

Londa said:
That is my point. Its a free trail no need to be mad until you are paying for shitty service.

Londa, as someone who comes off clinically insane you should be able to relate to these people. I guess not though. There are crazy FFXI fans out there that think SE ruined the sequel to there favorite game ever, I don't think they care about the free trial and actually it's probably insulting to them.

Londa

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Londa, as someone who comes off clinically insane you should be able to relate to these people. I guess not though. There are crazy FFXI fans out there that think SE ruined the sequel to there favorite game ever, I don't think they care about the free trial and actually it's probably insulting to them.
First of all. Don't attack me or call me insane. You seem more sensitive to the fact that I don't have the same opinion as you. But I couldn't care if you like or dislike what I say or think. Second, those people you describe are more unstable than anything I've said or done on this forum, and should seek help. They are taking the game too seriously.

Azrael

Londa said:

It's nice that SE extended the free trial, but free time is limited and valuable, and that time spent grinding out the same boring leves over and over again, traveling to and from leve locations, and pure grinding when leves are finished is time I could spend playing more enjoyable games or some other leisure activity, or do something productive with my time. I'd rather the game had launched with a serviceable amount of enjoyable content than be getting an extra free month of what feels like having a second job.

jiggle

MCX said:

As more time passes, eventually you can’t progress at all. Final Fantasy XIV is so deeply flawed that I can’t even see how future updates could redeem it.

thank god a reviewer played long enough to notice this!

although i don't agree with the second comment
every problem the game has we know a solution to, rite?

some of the problems can be such quick fix too :/
like the long travel requirement
just increase anima even more or get rid of it altogether
but they're just too stubborn to
make us wait for nov update and the decrease is not even that much lower!
3 anima to 3 designated locations intead of 6, whoopty-fucking-doo

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
thank god a reviewer played long enough to notice this!

Uh, you could write that review by reading forums. He said nothing interesting or insightful. I'm sure he played it, but I seriously doubt he anywhere near R20 or whatever you've decided the "impossible" point is.

And, really... the Guildleve table is hard to find?

I'm fine with him not liking the game, but don't pretend that review is good just because you agreed with parts of it. It reads more like distilled forum anger, so you're really probably just agreeing with yourself.

Zomba13

The reviewer was referring to fatigue and not ranking up at higher ranks.

That review was pretty bad though. I agree with most of it (but I do think updates can fix the game) but it was just uninformative. All it said was it's a bad game and takes time to do stuff.

DrDogg

The game is still terrible right now, but we already know fixes are coming. I do not expect the Nov/Dec updates to make the game good though. Better, yes... but I won't begin expecting a "good" game until PS3 release.

It's really sad that I'd rather craft, mine/quarry or log/harvest instead of partying. I can now see that partying does have SP potential, but the mechanics are just boring (from a mage point of view). Let me examine WHM in a FFXI party compared to CON in a FFXIV party. As a disclaimer, my WHM is 75 and my CON is 16, but I've looked at all of the abilties CON gets at later levels and it's mainly just upgrades to existing abilities.

FFXI WHM Party Roll
- Cast Protect/Shell every 30 min
- Alternate between Cure 1-5 to ensure proper hate management and healing
- Pay close attention to the mob and cast paralyna, poisona, silena, etc. accordingly
- Use Regen to conserve MP and reduce enmity
- Use job abilities to remove various status ailments (mainly for endgame stuff)
- Rest whenever possible to ensure you do not run out of MP (mainly for merit parties)

FFXIV CON Party Roll
- Cast Protect/Shell every ~5 min (I haven't actually timed it)
- Cast highest cure spell, then next available cure spell because the cure cast, recast and delay is huge
- Buff before/after combat because if you buff during combat you'll generate so much hate you will die... but doing this means you miss out on SP gained from buffing
- Attack occasionally if the other party members don't need to be healed

Basically, in FFXI I had to pay attention, watch my actions and really just stay focused. In FFXIV I just spam cure and buff when not in combat. It doesn't matter if SP gains are improved/adjusted, the mechanics of the job in parties is just boring. And I'm not even going to compare RDM and THM because RDM does WAY more than WHM in most FFXI parties and THM is a weak version of a RDM (if I was going to compare the two).

...and that concludes today's rant. Now for lunch, then 8 hours of playing.

sky

Anyone know how many users played on PS2 vs PC, during FFXI's peak?

HappyBivouac said:
"YOU CAN'T PATCH IN FUN"
Of course you can. You can rewrite code, re-balance stats and systems, tweak gameplay and update visuals. The right balance and combination of those things is what makes something fun.

Londa

Banned
Azrael said:
It's nice that SE extended the free trial, but free time is limited and valuable, and that time spent grinding out the same boring leves over and over again, traveling to and from leve locations, and pure grinding when leves are finished is time I could spend playing more enjoyable games or some other leisure activity, or do something productive with my time. I'd rather the game had launched with a serviceable amount of enjoyable content than be getting an extra free month of what feels like having a second job.
Didn't say you should not play other games. I said its stupid to do ddos attacks to the server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom