• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
The Rank 50 watch is currently nearing it's final stages:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/26529-rank-50-watch-extravaganza/

Currently Lindblum's very own Kimi Pastel is sitting on Rank 49 Archer and will most likely hit Rank 50 this weekend, becoming the first Rank 50 character of any kind in FFXIV. It is interesting to see that you need 100,000 SP to go from Rank 49 to 50. Wow. :lol

I feel so proud !! oh wait no I don't, poor sap must have no life or be an RMT team working on 1 character.

Another thread gone to shit because of useless, immature bickering. Either play the fucking game or discuss it like normal human beings, for fuck's sake.

Well all they need to do is ban Londa... Why has it not been done yet ?

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:
The Rank 50 watch is currently nearing it's final stages:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/26529-rank-50-watch-extravaganza/

Currently Lindblum's very own Kimi Pastel is sitting on Rank 49 Archer and will most likely hit Rank 50 this weekend, becoming the first Rank 50 character of any kind in FFXIV. It is interesting to see that you need 100,000 SP to go from Rank 49 to 50. Wow. :lol

100k SP would not be that bad if the party/SP system was anything like FFXI. In FFXI, if you got a decent party together and a good camp, you could really crank out the SP, especially at higher levels. I specifically recall the trek from 70 to 75 being considerably brutal, but with a solid party you could easily get a level a day with 5 or 6 hours of play.

In FFXIV, some mobs give no SP, if a mob dies too quickly, your chances of getting SP are drastically reduced, and if you're a mage class it's even worse since you have to make sure anything you cast hits the party before the mob dies (which is a chore given the lengthy cast, recast and invisible delay time).

Soloing is simply not an option when you need 100k SP. Maybe if you could guarantee 500 SP per kill, then it'd only take 200 kills (a day or two at most), but good luck getting SP gain anywhere near that rate. That's essentially what good parties in FFXI were, max XP from steadily pulled mobs, or near max XP from a constant chain of mobs. It keeps everyone on their toes and makes party play fun... not this garbage we have now.

It's funny, but I bet if someone focused almost exclusively on BOT or MIN, they'd be 50 already. Simply because the SP gain is fairly constant on those classes and the only delay would be in finding higher grade nodes.

Teknoman

Azzurri said:
Does the game take advantage of CFX or SLI?

I remember someone said the benchmark didnt take advantage of SLI but the actual retail version does. Still waiting for another person to confirm though.

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
I remember someone said the benchmark didnt take advantage of SLI but the actual retail version does. Still waiting for another person to confirm though.

It can use SLI, but I believe you have to play in full screen... which means no Alt-Tabbing.

There's an nVidia profile on FFXIVCore to help max it out, because apparently it can be a little wonky without it.

sky

Cmagus said:
Damn almost lvl 50 that's pretty hardcore
batlol.jpg

Today my log said "You have killed 500 monsters", or something like that.
Hurray... ... ........

Haint

Dreamwriter said:
I don't get it, as you say they've announced the minimum that's gonna be in November and December's patches. And those two patches combined with the Wards patch are fixing almost all the issues people complain about. With one more *major* patch coming right as the PS3 game hits.

As for last night's patch, how was that a disappointment in any way? From their posts last week, it sounded like we weren't going to get *any* patches until the November patch. Having any patch at all was a pleasant surprise, and one that makes NPC's show up almost immediately when you enter a room is damn nice compared to the problems before where a hundred players would be huddled around an NPC and the NPC would show up last.

The longer people play, the more issues are going to be discovered. The SP, Repair, and LFG systems become increasingly game breaking the higher you get and make the rest of the popular issues (Ward/AH, lag, UI) look like minor annoyances by comparison. Repairs begin to require a craft rank similar to the weapon/armors optimal rank. In low levels, for example, it seems like you can typically repair stuff 5-8 levels below what is required to craft it. This does not hold true with higher level equips. Starting in the 20's, you can actually craft a lot of gear before you can even attempt to repair it. NPC guy's prices for a fractional repair are generally more than buying a new item outright (e.g. a 25% repair on Bronze Haub is 50k), and player repairs (which are incredibly difficult to find in low levels) become virtually impossible with R30's requirement. I will not even get into the exponential increases in SP required for ranks (so bad they make FFXI look like WoW), or the effectively forced partying with a worthless LFG system, cause they're pretty self explanatory.

I wish the only problems the game had was stupid shit like inventory sorts, UI, crappy bazaars, and some lag. If it's taking them months to fix stupidly simple shit, imagine how long it's going to take them to overhaul and rebalance core gameplay mechanics.

Jinko

^ I still can't understand why they didn't give us LFP icon, it would save so much time standing at an Aetheryte if you could see who wanted to party.

DrDogg

Reallink said:
The longer people play, the more issues are going to be discovered. The SP, Repair, and LFG systems become increasingly game breaking the higher you get and make the rest of the popular issues (Ward/AH, lag, UI) look like minor annoyances by comparison. Repairs begin to require a craft rank similar to the weapon/armors optimal rank. In low levels, for example, it seems like you can typically repair stuff 5-8 levels below what is required to craft it. This does not hold true with higher level equips. Starting in the 20's, you can actually craft a lot of gear before you can even attempt to repair it. NPC guy's prices for a fractional repair are generally more than buying a new item outright (e.g. a 25% repair on Bronze Haub is 50k), and player repairs (which are incredibly difficult to find in low levels) become virtually impossible with R30's requirement. I will not even get into the exponential increases in SP required for ranks (so bad they make FFXI look like WoW), or the effectively forced partying with a worthless LFG system, cause they're pretty self explanatory.

I wish the only problems the game had was stupid shit like inventory sorts, UI, crappy bazaars, and some lag. If it's taking them months to fix stupidly simple shit, imagine how long it's going to take them to overhaul and rebalance core gameplay mechanics.

Not really. As the game grows older, most of the problems you speak of automatically go away. To fix gear you need to be within 10 ranks of the optimal rank. Right now, not a lot of crafters are above 30, but in a few months that won't be an issue. Shout in a city and you'll find someone who can fix your gear.

SP is a terrible system, but if we had an AH, making it easier to get better gear, it wouldn't be as bad. Still terrible... but not quite as bad.

Jinko said:
^ I still can't understand why they didn't give us LFP icon, it would save so much time standing at an Aetheryte if you could see who wanted to party.

The icon has to be made in HD... which is a 6 month process.

zlatko

Banned
I haven't played in well over a week. Too busy with games that are providing me with fun.

When the content and fixes come in December I plan to give it a whirl again, but I see no reason to be a crack head to grind myself to 50 on anything. You gain literally nothing from it in the current state the game is in.

Londa

Banned
when I need gear repaired, I set it in my bazaar for a sizable rewards (like 2,500) gil. After about 10 minutes of being idle while playing, my gear will have been repaired. I never shout for repairs anymore.

DrDogg

Londa said:
when I need gear repaired, I set it in my bazaar for a sizable rewards (like 2,500) gil. After about 10 minutes of being idle while playing, my gear will have been repaired. I never shout for repairs anymore.

In a game where I can make 10k off a basic r10 leve, 2.5k is not sizable... :lol

Londa

Banned
DrDogg said:
In a game where I can make 10k off a basic r10 leve, 2.5k is not sizable... :lol

on rank 7 armor I can do that. If they didn't want to do it for 2k, then they wouldn't repair my stuff.

Coldsnap

Londa said:

Most people wouldn't pick up 2,500 gil off the ground, much less repair your equipment.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Londa said:
2.5K? Mine is usually 5K-10K. Everyone comes-a-running to fix my stuff :lol

I've had some success offering 3-4k for repairs + providing the materials for the repair.

Works out a lot better for me than paying the repair npc to fix my gear..

Londa

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Most people wouldn't pick up 2,500 gil off the ground, much less repair your equipment.

I guess you ignored the fact that I get my stuff repaired in 10 minutes? You are so hard pressed on being against everything I say that you don't even make sense.

2.5K? Mine is usually 5K-10K. Everyone comes-a-running to fix my stuff

I'm not paying 10k when the item didn't even cost 10k. Its low level stuff. Also if they don't do it. Then it doesn't get repaired. I haven' had a problem with waiting long on repairs yet.

Cmagus

I need someone to fix my Iron Haubergeon so much higher level then I am and I am sadly watching it widdle down.I have a Bronze Haubergeon but I can't fix that either lol I have been doing mad armour crafting to save myself.The guy in Uldah that fixes armour wants 130K just for the iron armour the head coif is like 80K guy is a scam :lol .

TheFatOne

I need you Jinko you're my only hope. What recipe did you use to rank up at r20ALC. BTW AlC is the easiest class to get gil. If you have the patience to go through the wards you can make serious gil by making shards.

Haint

DrDogg said:
Not really. As the game grows older, most of the problems you speak of automatically go away. To fix gear you need to be within 10 ranks of the optimal rank. Right now, not a lot of crafters are above 30, but in a few months that won't be an issue. Shout in a city and you'll find someone who can fix your gear.

Problem with that is weapons wear out in less than an hour of grinding. It is impractical to expect your party to wait while you walk to a city (or blow 32 hours worth of anima) to roll the dice shouting for a repair and/or pay the NPC exorbitant sums for a 75% hack job that will break in 30 minutes. Similarly, expecting everyone to carry multiple copies of X00,000 gil weapons, or spend 100+ hours grinding a craft to the 30's are equally ridiculous. I will not even dignify building parties around craft ranks with a response, cause it is too stupid to even recognize as a possibility. Regardless of how you spin it, the system is broke and no amount of time is going to change it. Increases in level caps will continue to move the line and keep all these issues relevant long down the road.

Cmagus

Reallink said:
Problem with that is weapons wear out in less than an hour of grinding. It is impractical to expect your party to wait while you walk to a city (or blow 32 hours worth of anima) to roll the dice shouting for a repair and/or pay the NPC exorbitant sums for a 75% hack job that will break in 30 minutes. Similarly, expecting everyone to carry multiple copies of X00,000 gil weapons, or spend 100+ hours grinding a craft to the 30's are equally ridiculous. I will not even dignify building parties around craft ranks with a response, cause it is too stupid to even recognize as a possibility. Regardless of how you spin it, the system is broke and no amount of time is going to change it. Increases in level caps will continue to move the line and keep all these issues relevant long down the road.

Yeah I ran into this problem.My armor like I mentioned before has gone to hell right now enemies where I was fine fighting them are handing my ass to me because I cannot get it fixed.Tonight I bought a new weapon decided to take a lower rank one over a higher for this reason.I think I am gonna stay with stuff around my level for awhile for this reason.

I also think they need to rebalance the crafting as some of the armors and stuff require such a high level of crafting and sometimes multiple skills and the problem with this is I find by time your able to make some of these things your already past it and there is better stuff for you.

In terms of Anima this is still a problem they are going to change it they said not sure why they can't just patch it in on an update.It's getting harder without anima at a higher level especially when you pretty much have to hit the major cities and get the highest leves you can but the run to some is very off putting.

Dunno I think with some tweaking things will greatly improve I was pretty annoyed with alot and still am but now I have gotten into a good linkshell things have certainly picked up and getting into larger parties makes it alot more fun and allows for exploration of newer areas.If they can get an auction house and some of the changes like anima in there before the pay period opens up Id consider another month with the game.

Atrus

Gold Member
I still don't agree with the allowance of gear higher than your level. It's turned selling things into a nightmare since looks or pre-purchasing something because of what seems like a deal is really clamping down on whether or not I can sell what I make.

I'm literally one of the cheapest crafters on the server since I do everything myself and I can barely give the stuff away which is a real shame. I've vendored tons of mats and products since inventory turnover is so low.

At least my retainer is making money. With it being up 24/7 and my undercutting of everyone else on mats, I have some margin over vendoring items with enough turnover. Of course the retainer system is not without its glaring issues.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So, I'm logged into the game, do a few quests, and then reach camp Bloodshore only to realize nothing is loading. I've got an R score of 0, I can't log out, and the game isn't kicking me out.

Should I wait for the game to kick me out? Will just closing the application cause me to lose my data? :(

Kyoufu

RurouniZel said:
So, I'm logged into the game, do a few quests, and then reach camp Bloodshore only to realize nothing is loading. I've got an R score of 0, I can't log out, and the game isn't kicking me out.

Should I wait for the game to kick me out? Will just closing the application cause me to lose my data? :(

Force closing the game won't cause any harm or make you lose any data, don't worry.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Kyoufu said:
Force closing the game won't cause any harm or make you lose any data, don't worry.

Thanks. Just needed to know that before I pulled the trigger. I let it sit there for 20 minutes while I did other things like start the laundry, and I knew it wasn't coming back.

Jinko

TheFatOne said:
I need you Jinko you're my only hope. What recipe did you use to rank up at r20ALC. BTW AlC is the easiest class to get gil. If you have the patience to go through the wards you can make serious gil by making shards.

If you can go farm Cactuar with someone, Buffalo dye will be the best, also Canvas dye.

This way you can make money whilst grinding, FWIW I have been stuck at 23 for like a week, its getting increasingly hard to find cheap stuff to grind on.

You could go spearfishing and try and get dart frogs to make http://ffxiv.yg.com/recipe/disabling-powder?id=1725

Sadly most people vendor, scorpions, frogs and spiders, so it can be hard to skill up on potions.

TheFatOne

Jinko said:
If you can go farm Cactuar with someone, Buffalo dye will be the best, also Canvas dye.

This way you can make money whilst grinding, FWIW I have been stuck at 23 for like a week, its getting increasingly hard to find cheap stuff to grind on.

You could go spearfishing and try and get dart frogs to make http://ffxiv.yg.com/recipe/disabling-powder?id=1725

Sadly most people vendor, scorpions, frogs and spiders, so it can be hard to skill up on potions.

Maple sap is the best way to rank up for ALC(from what I read), but getting maple sap is a pain in the ass. I searched the wards for 2 hours yesterday and only found one guy selling it. One day I will be able to break clusters down one day. Maple Sap is like muddy water,but for r20 guys. Only costs two shards and it is a r20 recipe. I think I will just grind crystals until I find more maple sap.

My wife just picked this game up for me, despite the "mixed reviews" I would like to give it a shot. Is their a neogaf clan or am I to late to the party?

TheFatOne

captmorgan said:
My wife just picked this game up for me, despite the "mixed reviews" I would like to give it a shot. Is their a neogaf clan or am I to late to the party?

There is a neogaf linkshell(guild). The server we play on is Lindblum. I think the ls is full at the moment though.

TheFatOne said:
There is a neogaf linkshell(guild). The server we play on is Lindblum. I think the ls is full at the moment though.

No problem I`ll roll a charter on Lindblum if a slot opens up later great if not no worries.

Azzurri

Reallink said:

It took me like 2 hours to find the Mats and a person to Fix my Lvl 1 Axe. Thankfully, they did it for free.

Teknoman

TheFatOne said:

We made a secondary shell until S-E fixes the fact that you cant kick offline members.

Ravidrath

Azzurri said:
It took me like 2 hours to find the Mats and a person to Fix my Lvl 1 Axe. Thankfully, they did it for free.

The repair NPC charges based on the Optimal Rank of the armor. Rank 1 stuff costs like 75 gil to repair, so I wouldn't worry about repairing it the "right way," since the repair mats cost much more than the what the NPC charges.

Because of this, I've been using the repair NPC to repair my undershirt, undergarment and Asuran Armguards, as well.

I'm actually surprised you managed to wear it out before hitting Rank 7, though.

Kyoufu

Azzurri said:

Its actually cheaper to buy a new rank 1 axe than buying the mats for the repair :lol

Jinko

TheFatOne said:
Maple sap is the best way to rank up for ALC(from what I read), but getting maple sap is a pain in the ass. I searched the wards for 2 hours yesterday and only found one guy selling it. One day I will be able to break clusters down one day. Maple Sap is like muddy water,but for r20 guys. Only costs two shards and it is a r20 recipe. I think I will just grind crystals until I find more maple sap.

Prob with maple syrup is that nobody will buy it, sure its great to skill up with but will still be a money sink (perhaps a small one).

It gets even worse when you have to make 1000's of them, I agree crystals are probably the best thing but the SP you get at rank 22+ is just a waste of time.

carlo6529

Dreamwriter said:
You mean, you were too lazy/impatient to work with other people or search the markets for crafting stuff so decided that you had to do all the crafting yourself in all the different diciplines.

Comments like this just boil my blood.

Why should my schedule be based around others, especially for crafting? When I play the game, I want to play it and that's that. I do enough waiting in real life; when I manage to find an hour or two to play the game, that is what I intend to do. I do not want to run around aimlessly begging for help. I shouldn't have to depend on others for basic crap like armor/weapon repair.

Cmagus

carlo6529 said:

Why should my schedule be based around others, especially for crafting? When I play the game, I want to play it and that's that. I do enough waiting in real life; when I manage to find an hour or two to play the game, that is what I intend to do. I do not want to run around aimlessly begging for help. I shouldn't have to depend on others for basic crap like armor/weapon repair.

Well there is a NPC you can pay to repair your stuff if your not into crafting fixes just know and make sure you are smart with your money.Most low level stuff you should have no problem finding the materials you need to craft repairs.Most low level stuff that is needed you'll easily pick up doing quests and what not.Also another good thing to do is find out what kind of skills you need for your class and focus on that skill.

I regret not doing that I kinda dabbled in different stuff and now instead of focusing primarily on armor and black smithing I am behind and in a less beneficial position.

carlo6529 said:

MMOGs have always been time sinks, that is a fundamental mechanic of MMOG gameplay and outside of maybe Guild Wars no MMOG has ever not been a time sink. If you only have an hour or two to play a game, then no MMOG will ever be playable for you, not even WoW. If you don't have the time to invest in an MMOG, then it's simply not viable for you to be playing MMOGs.

Nekofrog

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
MMOGs have always been time sinks, that is a fundamental mechanic of MMOG gameplay and outside of maybe Guild Wars no MMOG has ever not been a time sink. If you only have an hour or two to play a game, then no MMOG will ever be playable for you, not even WoW. If you don't have the time to invest in an MMOG, then it's simply not viable for you to be playing MMOGs.

Have you played any MMOs made in the past 5 years? Timesinks are (mostly) a thing of the past. At least, the truly obscene ones.

Nekofrog said:
Have you played any MMOs made in the past 5 years? Timesinks are (mostly) a thing of the past. At least, the truly obscene ones.

Yeah, actually, in the past 5 years I've played LOTRO and Aion, and I've sort of flown around a bit in EVE but didn't really get into it before the free trial ended. All of those games contained time sinks, and most of the time sinking was travel, just the same as in FFXIV.

There's nothing truly obscene about the time-sinking in FFXIV, especially compared to FFXI. Assuming you're actually willing to play the game instead of spending time bitching about it. Well, in my case, I multitask and play the game while bitching about it. :lol

Moobabe

Even Guild Wars added time sink stuff with later expansions :( Some of the titles they introduced were so stupid - I still hate Ursan farming to this day.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:

Many MMO's can be played for short burst, and yes WoW is one of those.

Sure you may not be the best or even go on raids, but you can still do 4-5 quests a day and have fun with the game.

Each to their own, but please stop forcing the opinion that MMO's are for multiplayer only, its not really the case, yes its wise to play them that way because thats what they are designed around, but you can still solo WoW, Runes of Magic, Allods and many other MMO's out there if you wish to.

TheFatOne

Jinko said:
Prob with maple syrup is that nobody will buy it, sure its great to skill up with but will still be a money sink (perhaps a small one).

It gets even worse when you have to make 1000's of them, I agree crystals are probably the best thing but the SP you get at rank 22+ is just a waste of time.

Yup the only other option I have right now is to get the sap myself.

Ravidrath

OK, so the "running away and healing" thing seems to definitely be a pathing system bug that doesn't communicate well with the claim system. Seems to happen more on sloped terrain.

Fighting Thickshells en route to Tranquil, they were constantly running away. A few times they even got stuck on the river bank and wouldn't even heal.

Once I accidentally hit another Thickshell w/ AoE Thunder, and it ran up, hit me once, couldn't path and completely lost aggro. So the bug basically seems to be that a pathing error erases all enmity.

Makes for long battles, but easy SP... if you can get them stuck, I probably wouldn't keep it up, since that probably falls into "exploit" territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom