• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

NM's are going to be a nice addition but I hope they plan to add better loot functions, I can only imagine the arguments created by loot being randomly added to someones loot list :lol

HappyBivouac said:
Can someone please explain the "man... the game has potential but I'm bored with the lack of content. I'm gonna quit and probably never look back" stuff to me?

So... you acknowledge that the game has good stuff going on and you feel it has potential despite not enjoying it now, yet you don't even consider checking back in when the game has improved?

This is like the 10th time you've lectured people like this, why so animated?

Coldsnap said:
I nominate the second LS name to be: Stars of Destiny Elementals

Lets make sure most of OG Stars of Destiny gets the pearl so we can talk to the other people.
I'm still working on name ideas. It SHOULD only be temporary anyway. I do ask that you make sure you're in for a long time before requesting the new pearl. Just so this won't happen again.

Forbiden

Ravidrath said:
I'm curious what will be in tonight's update. I wish they'd tell us, but my guess is that they won't fully know what's ready until a few hours before it goes live.

Wait, there is going to be an update today? I thought it was only maintenance? Or do they usually release updates after maint?(If they do, I've never really noticed it)

jiggle

Forbiden said:
Wait, there is going to be an update today? I thought it was only maintenance? Or do they usually release updates after maint?(If they do, I've never really noticed it)

they've been doing these weekly maintenance since launch that came with small updates and fixes

RSLAEV said:
And you know that the game definitely won't get significantly better before Cataclysm is released

I guess this is what answers my question. There are a lot of people who know this game will get better, with time, but why wait when they can just go back to WoW for Cataclysm?

I never had any interest in WoW or what it offers, so I guess I see things a bit differently. I fully intend to come back to FFXIV when it becomes a game that's worth my time and money, which will happen.

I'm keeping my sub for now because of the extended trial period, and depending on what comes in November I might keep it alive.

Question for people using official *wired* 360 controllers: do they go to "sleep" after a period of inactivity like the wireless ones? I'm using an official wireless with the adapter and it turns off after about 20 minutes of AFK causing me to have to relog to get the game to detect it again. Very annoying.

Salaadin

MomoPufflet said:
Question for people using official *wired* 360 controllers: do they go to "sleep" after a period of inactivity like the wireless ones? I'm using an official wireless with the adapter and it turns off after about 20 minutes of AFK causing me to have to relog to get the game to detect it again. Very annoying.

Thats odd. My old wired Logitech could be unplugged and re-plugged in without having to log out.
My new wireless Logitech goes into sleep mode after 5 mins and can be used right away after waking it up.

In the beta, I had the issue where I had to log to re-detect the controller but that doesnt seem to exist in retail.

Cmagus

MomoPufflet said:

I had this happen from time to time dunno why it just de-syncs out of nowhere all you can do it relog into the game to fix it

HappyBivouac said:
I fully intend to come back to FFXIV when it becomes a game that's worth my time and money, which will happen.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. I can't really just forget that FFXI remains my favourite game of all time, and I am 100% confident that the team is capable of (eventually) making a game that's just as good if not better. It's unfortunate that it's gonna take a little while longer, but I'm still enjoying FFXI 8 years later and I've never unsubscribed...I'm not gonna pull my hair out over 3-6 months of waiting, especially when I can use the time to experience what I've missed with WoW.

Salaadin said:
Thats odd. My old wired Logitech could be unplugged and re-plugged in without having to log out.
My new wireless Logitech goes into sleep mode after 5 mins and can be used right away after waking it up.

In the beta, I had the issue where I had to log to re-detect the controller but that doesnt seem to exist in retail.

Weird. Maybe it's just the official 360 ones? I hope that fancy new silver 360 pad coming out next month fixes the issue-- I'm interested in trying it.

Kyoufu

Correct me if I'm wrong but the FFXI JP launch was only hampered by login/account management issues for a while. Is there something else I missed? I don't remember it being a mess like this game is.

Londa

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the FFXI JP launch was only hampered by login/account management issues for a while. Is there something else I missed? I don't remember it being a mess like this game is.

did you play JP launch?

Londa

Banned
Kyoufu said:

then is this true?

http://zeusls.llima.net/download/ffxiupdatehistory.html

02/05/16

FFXI went live. At the very begining the registration server went down several times (Lmao) and it was also spread through the comunity. Next day the president of Square apoligised to everyone and gave a 1 month refund to the customers.

02/06/11

- Bind was a godly spell that only wore off when the spell actually wared off. So even if you attack they never broke. This has been nerfed.
- Auction house became live, the system seemed different. It states that it was a full auction based system (I have no clue what this means).
- DEX bonus were added to the sneak attack and Hand to hand ability were added to the thief.
- When ever you received the gil steal traight, the mob stopped dropping gil (HAHAHA) this has been stealth fixed.
- PLD's hp has been putted lower than warriors. Their MP were pretty high.
- Previously, your resistance of elements (fire, ice and such) increased as you level, but it was fixed or nerfed and only displayed their increase when you equipped a elemental resist equipment (now these resistances only increases with magic and gear. No natural increase).
- Notorious monsters were implemented. Most of the notorious monsters haven't been modified till this day.
- HQ system added into the crafting (only HQ1)
- Several material's drop rate has been ajusted (<- negative way) and its no longer sold in vendors.

Kyoufu

Londa said:

Yeah the registration was a PITA for everyone. Took forever for the 90k or so people to register and log in. Those other issues aren't exactly comparable to the trainwreck we have today though.

Still waiting for a reason why FFXI JP launch was a "mess" aside from registration/login issues. Grouping was fun and worked from day one, could sort inventory, no UI lag etc etc. Its not comparable at all.

Londa

Banned
I really don't believe the president would have given a public apoligy if it was only "registration/login issues" involved. Read the whole site maybe and see what is wrong?

Coldsnap

I am going to own the server by the time you people come back from your breaks. I hope you enjoy collecting cooking ingredients for me because that is exactly what i will make you surfs do.

:p

Kandinsky said:
STOP BRINGING THIS FFXI JP LAUNCH NONSENSE BS, THIS IS 2010 NOT 2002 FFS.

Do you expect to enjoy games made in 2010 more than you enjoyed games made in 2002 when they were released?

The argument is that FFXI was in a similar boat and became a great game, even some people's favorite game of all time. In other words there's a pretty high probability that this will become a hugely enjoyable game. To normal, rational people, this is what matters.

Nobody's defending the shitty unfinished launch. But that all becomes irrelevant in a game that is constantly changing and is all about the long-term.

With a game, you either enjoy it over its lifespan or you don't. All this stuff about "we should expect blahblahblah from a company in 2010" is extra bullshit you're bringing in.

Coldsnap said:
I am going to own the server by the time you people come back from your breaks. I hope you enjoy collecting cooking ingredients for me because that is exactly what i will make you surfs do.

Hey! I'm staying with you!

Whatever, this is getting as ridiculous as that stupid review thread. The game is a mess now, it probably won't be in 6 months...and its still playable now if you're cool with getting your nuts stepped on.

Hopefully today's maintenance smooths it out even more. This last week I've noticed npcs being a little less lethargic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Coldsnap said:

Don't you take that attitude with me, young man, or you aren't getting any more pumpkins!!1

:D

Dental, Kawaii, Kess, Trei, and I went on an adventure and got some presents for you.

(20 pumpkins and a couple oysters)

Londa

Banned
pancakesandsex said:
Actually no, he's here because he's interested in playing the game. I know because he's using my buddy pass, what now?

I don't know this dude. All I know is that he always makes blind statements that are always in caps.

Azzurri

Is it normal for it to take 1min or more for NPC and other players to load in areas? Is this my computer just ageing?

Kandinsky

Londa said:
I don't know this dude. All I know is that he always makes blind statements that are always in caps.
But we played alot in the beta, and you were actually impressed with my Archer!

I even bought you a nice robe at the end!

:lol

Coldsnap

Azzurri said:
Is it normal for it to take 1min or more for NPC and other players to load in areas? Is this my computer just ageing?

It's your video card. My friend has this same problem because his card is outdated.

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah I've got a hankerin' for some Vana'diel...don't wanna spend time playing something else while I've got free play time in FFXIV and WoW Trial though....

So do I but I have no idea where my account codes are or my login info :lol

jiggle

decided to jump on thaumaturge to pick on some bunnies while waiting for leve reset
at rank10, getting 150-200+ sp per kill consistently
WTF
even my rank2 sentinel skill is getting 30-50sp every other fights
the same shield i'm using on conj, where i'm lucky to get 20 sp every 5+ fights

so if i understand their stupid programming correctly
it's lowering the % for getting sp + % of sp gain as you solo into rank 20s?

can't stop harping over this, it's so stupid XD

Londa

Banned
Kandinsky said:
But we played alot in the beta, and you were actually impressed with my Archer!

I even bought you a nice robe at the end!

:lol
Yeah I did like your archer. It wanted to actually take it up right on release because I knew archer was great. But I played it safe with mar. Now I need to rank other jobs or it will be very hard to solo.

I really just want to discuss the topic without things getting out of control. I want there to be at least one ffxiv topic on forums.

Kandinsky said:
STOP BRINGING THIS FFXI JP LAUNCH NONSENSE BS, THIS IS 2010 NOT 2002 FFS.

Why don't you go back to the official reviews haters gonna hate thread and leave us alone. Go back to your beloved Vana'diel or something and enjoy the PS2-era graphics. This thread is for people who are actually playing the game to discuss the actual game, and you don't qualify on either prerequisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom