• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

Forbiden said:
Never done any mining quests in gridania, but I never liked the fact that the Rank 10 leves for Botanist were in the middle of a bunch of wolves or shit that could easily kill me. Man, that shit was annoying. That's why I decided to go do logging in Ul'dah and Limsa...even though Gridania is my starting city, i haven't been there after the second week the game was out.

I was wondering if other areas were like this. I've gotten some leves before where I have to pass red con enemies that happen to be aggressive. When both my rank and physical level weren't anywhere near the level need to take these things on. Didn't think that should be the case.

kiryogi said:
So are there really rank 40 behest?

I've seen battle wardens at some of those out of the way camps that local leves send you to, like Nine-Ivies and Broken Water. I'm not sure what rank those camps are though.

zlatko

Banned
Anyone else finding it hard to commit time to the game now?

I haven't played in 5 days being busy with Reach and now Fallout: New Vegas. Soon Black Ops will hit, and before I know it Q1's onslaught of awesome will be upon me.

How are most people in Gaf exping at rank 20 plus? Experience seems to plummet to level 70-75 gap grinds of FFXI. In XI in 10 hours of play I could muster 1 and a half to 2 levels in the 70-75 range in a good party. Here solo/group leves barely get me half needed in 10 hours. :(

Jiggle, as someone mentioned before you need to get in a party. In the same 8 hrs you spent to get that SP I could have gotten 2 ranks at 33.

Really the only spells you should be doing are Cure (not Cure II, because it heals for more and not much more then Cure, and uses more MP), Sacrifice, and a few quick buffs.

Reason you want to use Cure and not cure 2 is because it heals for less giving you anther chance to heal giving you more proc chances on everyone it hits.

Get a party and fight something that does AoE, or something that you can AoE. Throw out a cure 1, followed by a sacrifice, and repeat, with darts in between. Depending on the mob and the dmg if you do this you should cap almost every fight. Also I suggest using a 2hnd weapon for SP gain for Radiance, and Levinbolt.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
FrankNitty said:
Jiggle, as someone mentioned before you need to get in a party. In the same 8 hrs you spent to get that SP I could have gotten 2 ranks at 33.

Really the only spells you should be doing are Cure (not Cure II, because it heals for more and not much more then Cure, and uses more MP), Sacrifice, and a few quick buffs.

Reason you want to use Cure and not cure 2 is because it heals for less giving you anther chance to heal giving you more proc chances on everyone it hits.

Get a party and fight something that does AoE, or something that you can AoE. Throw out a cure 1, followed by a sacrifice, and repeat, with darts in between. Depending on the mob and the dmg if you do this you should cap almost every fight. Also I suggest using a 2hnd weapon for SP gain for Radiance, and Levinbolt.
This. This, right here.

Jinko

You guys forget the most important thing though... Partying in this game sucks.

There is no hate control its just becomes one giant clusterfuck, hope you can target and hit the mob before it dies.. or worse hope it doesn't get off its mega AoE move and wipe the whole party out.

SE should have stuck to the same party mechanics as 11 /sigh sigh sigh

Anyone else finding it hard to commit time to the game now?

Yup, I won't be playing as much as I have been.

Jinko said:

There is no hate control its just becomes one giant clusterfuck, hope you can target and hit the mob before it dies.. or worse hope it doesn't get off its mega AoE move and wipe the whole party out.

Yup, I won't be playing as much as I have been.

Partying does suck, and the hate control in the game is horrible, most tanks that think they can tank, cannot, but at the same time when they are trying to get SP they aren't really trying to tank anyways. At the same time though you don't want to have so many ppl on a mob that it's life bar just melts, but you shouldnt be fighting something that is a rediculously long fight either where you actually need to have someone tanking for long periods of time. Right now I just have a problem finding that balance. As Bucs are still kind of a threat, bandit spearmen are great, skeles are great also just too few, and starting to get crowded, and Efts are great, starting to get crowded.

Many things in game are bad, party targeting, npc targeting etc. Though if you use /targetnpc macro, it really isn't a problem, as long as you pay attention to what your about to attack.

As for mega AoE, the only 2 things that I have seen wipe a party AoE wise are ga style nukes, impcantations (sp?) Imps AoE, and Buc in Mistbeard. everything else is weak with shell and protect.

Overall the system needs work without a doubt. Though I'm already 33, and should be able to hit 35 with moderate play times by Friday/Staurday, and 36 by Sunday hopefully depending on grp situation.

Jinko said:

Partying works great for my party, and there are a few hate control moves that do work. Unfortunately, there are some actions that gain a LOT of hate - seemingly any area-of-effect spells, like party heals, for example. I have to heal only the person who needs it, and make sure I get Shock Spikes off before the combat starts, things like that. Just needs a bit of balancing.

Cmagus

WHAT?!
firekk.jpg

Anyways I think that is it for me.Decided to sign off for the last time tonight.Bored really I gave up on leve questing I don't know how many times I can go kill a Fire Imp in disguise or cactaur.Crafting I gave up on some time ago simply not worth it it's easier to guy buy what you want then make it less of a chore.

I find it funny how they keep saying how solo friendly it is which presents a problem.People solo to lvl 20 or so and then realize that they now need to be in a party and most don't have that mentality.It's frustrating tanking when conj people are looking out for just themselves like heal the others kinda how it works.

This also becomes a major problem with the crafting system it's suggested and encouraged that you help one another as crafting most items at a certain point becomes too much for one person with super high crafting levels needed in two different categories and if you solo the item will be useless and you'll prob be leveled past it by time you yourself get there.No one talks means no one is working together equals fail.

Also I can't speak for other servers but mine is dead no one and I mean no one talks, hardly anyone wants to party unless they need help with a leve but then after that is finished that's it.It's almost socially retarded with little interactions in this game.The constant running is also tiresome knowing I can go grab more leves but they are in another town and that I probably have to run for at least 20 minutes then wait for a boat and stand on that for literally 10 minutes (yes it takes 10 minutes) before you know it there goes an half an hour of absolutely nothing.

I can't speak for all but I have had nothing but performance issues with this game all the time stuttering attacks that sometimes you don't know if you did them or not cause your player lags and stands there.Sluggish UI everything is slow as hell and becomes a chore.
I got real tired of doing almost everything because it is a chore I don't wanna change classes cause I can't be bothered to go through slow menus to change my traits why it can't just remember what you had for each class I don't know.

So yeah I could keep going but I'm done I'm bored to fucking tears doing nothing last few nights I did a little partying but I find myself wandering aimlessly around and accomplishing little to nothing.Probably won't come back shame really they could of had something here.

jiggle

distracted myself exploring coerthas and that scary place south of it today
and farmed a few vengeful souls

wish there are more activities like that!

FrankNitty said:

it sounds good and all
but on top of the problems jinko mentioned
it's a bitch just finding one

i mean this wouldn't be a problem had i went to lindblum with the rest of gaf (kinda regretting not doing this!)
but right now, ppl on my FL/LS are focused on soloing and are way lower ranked
hell, 4/5 of them don't even log on anymore

i could do a noob LFG shout
but where would i even begin?
shouts are limited to an invisible zone and ppl that are pting are already quite spread out

Can someone please explain the "man... the game has potential but I'm bored with the lack of content. I'm gonna quit and probably never look back" stuff to me?

So... you acknowledge that the game has good stuff going on and you feel it has potential despite not enjoying it now, yet you don't even consider checking back in when the game has improved?

Cmagus

HappyBivouac said:
Can someone please explain the "man... the game has potential but I'm bored with the lack of content. I'm gonna quit and probably never look back" stuff to me?

So... you acknowledge that the game has good stuff going on and you feel it has potential despite not enjoying it now, yet you don't even consider checking back in when the game has improved?

Cause it does have potential but right now doing the same handful of things over and over is not fun at all.Personally I won't check back in because I spent my money and bought the game and really no improvements are coming till like end of next month.Im not gonna keep playing it for a month bored shitless and I am sure as hell not gonna pay them for something I wont have time to test or know about its pretty easy.

By time any significant changes come I will have forgotten this game like most.Come end of November when they roll out an auction house and very little fixes which know their record will probably happen people aren't going to be happy.Hell my server today hit an all time low of 743 players and the highest I saw it was 1013 today.I spent my money it's boring now and I don't really intend to give them anymore personal choice.

Only way I would consider replaying this is if they fix

Anima-They said they were adjusting it but lets hope this is in the november patch.Hell All they would have to do is make teleporting to each city free and it wouldn't be so bad.

More Leves or Quests - Be nice if they weren't all at camps as well would be nice to go explore and find some stuff and there are lots of useless NPC's standing around give them somethign to do.

UI Lag

Auction House - We know its coming lets hope it isnt something stupid using retainers

Leves at camps - Running back and fourth is tiring

More Enemies - Less empty more enemies

Targeting - Auto target to next monster in mob would be nice

Thats what bugs me most right now.Will it all get fixed? probably not but all I am saying is it better not be auction house and a few small things.

Haint

jiggle said:
it sounds good and all
but on top of the problems jinko mentioned
it's a bitch just finding one

i mean this wouldn't be a problem had i went to lindblum with the rest of gaf (kinda regretting not doing this!)
but right now, ppl on my FL/LS are focused on soloing and are way lower ranked
hell, 4/5 of them don't even log on anymore

i could do a noob LFG shout
but where would i even begin?
shouts are limited to an invisible zone and ppl that are pting are already quite spread out

Well said. Most of you reading this will have to imagine yourselves out of the Lindblum Neogaf social circle to understand what I'm about to say, but the lack of a simple no nonsense search/seek feature is the most critical issue with the game right now. Yes, I really went there. It trumps the UI, Lag, Wards/AH, and everything else. Those are all annoyances (admittedly major), but not being able to progress past Rank 20 (or doing so at a pace 50 times slower than intended) is game breaking. It's a shame most people still seem to be under R20 (or focus on crafting), cause SE doesn't even seem to be aware of the problem. The forthcoming patch notes make no mention of addressing this before 2011. Partying is every bit as enjoyable as early days FFXI, but it's virtually impossible to pull off unless you rode in with some kind of prearranged group.

RSLAEV

HappyBivouac said:

Because after playing the game for a few weeks you realize that the fundamental changes that need to be made to this game are highly unlikely, and you have a bad taste in your mouth from forcing yourself to play for this long.

It's a polite way of acknowledging that the framework of a good game might be there, but Square-Enix's behavior hasn't given you any reason to believe that they were going to build upon it.

And you know that the game definitely won't get significantly better before Cataclysm is released

Sony needed to have an army of community managers working the internet and assuring the population of FF14 that INCREDIBLE SHIT was right around the corner. That so much fun was coming that it would be worth it to grind out some levels now while things were slow because you would be hella buff and sitting on a fat sack of gil when this game eventually became more fun than 10 Disneyworlds. The free month was definitely nice, but it doesn't do any damn good if I don't have a reason to play! If I can't see a future for myself in this gameworld!

And the nerve of these guys! They release an obviously unfinished game and then don't even have the balls to fully own up to it and assure me that 'the actual game is in fact coming and here's a list of upcoming features and a timeframe to show we mean business'

"Oh but wait a second RSLAEV, what about the Letter from the Director on 10/15 detailing upcoming changes and promising a major version update by December?"

Well let's look at what we have to look forward to by December:

-Streamlining the Market Wards with a search function and adjustments to the retainer system

-UI 'adjustments'

-Party Balancing

-Server Lag

-Distribution of Enemies

-Addition of Notorious Monsters

Wooah! Look at that list of mindblowing additions! Wait, Are there Dungeons in this game? what about bad ass armor? Player housing? World Events? Vanity Items? What exactly is waiting for me in this game? Why should I throw several hours a day at it?

I wouldn't mind the lack of direction if this was the kind of game where the players built the world, but it isn't. We can't change one damn thing. All we can do is grind grind grind hoping that the game *eventually* gets better. That got me so far, but I don't think I can handle it anymore.

Cmagus

They need to fill out the world.Trying to not be like other MMO's is only going to hurt them.Really you could keep the leves the way they are and have them be small timed missions that net you some extra EXP and Gil.I was wandering around today and found a camp inside a rock east of drybone that has NPC's that do nothing.

No reason why they can't have those NPC give you non timed mission that have you go out and explore the big world.Fetch quests, kill certain monster quests stuff like most MMO's have.Why they added Anima is beyond me maybe they were afraid people wouldn't explore the world but if they focused on expanding things not just huddling everyone into one spot that wouldn't be an issue.You take a leve and really you don't venture far from the camp limiting the real play area.

They have the notorious monsters thing that could be really cool group monster hunts would be awesome and even with something like that they can always add new stuff but Id love to group up and go take down some huge monsters.I dunno if they can flesh it out it will definitely be so much better.

Londa

Banned
Wooah! Look at that list of mindblowing additions! Wait, Are there Dungeons in this game? what about bad ass armor? Player housing? World Events? Vanity Items? What exactly is waiting for me in this game? Why should I throw several hours a day at it?

Dungeons - they are in the game (I can link you to a list of what they are and where they are if you want)

Bad ass armor - I'm taking experience from FFXI, its SE other MMO. I didn't get bad ass armor until I hit 50-60. If looks are what you are talking about, well 50- 60 was where you got bad ass armor in FFXI. I'm guessing after the level cap is increased is when we will get that type of armor, but it could be sooner.

World Events - are you talking about Events that happen on the Holidays?

Vanity Items - are you talking about mog house items? Or fun stuff to equip that you buy from a cash shop? Or like fireworks like in FFXI?

Player housing - they said they are planning to make housing for companies. I haven't heard anything about single player housing. I would also like to know more about this. This is my main concern because I want a house and a mail box. I want storage too. But very little has been said about this.

What is waiting for you in the game - Are you talking about end game. If so, as of right now, only what is in the game atm. Since the cap is at 50, there isn't going to be a end game.

I'm really busy in the game atm because I have work plus school. So I don't even play everyday. But I'm so busy just crafting all my leves before I fall asleep that I don't really have time to be looking for more to do. This may change when I get into winter break.

jiggle

didn't occur to me to add up the hours until i talked to a friend just earlier
at 2k/4 hours, it'd take 56 hours for 1 rank up :lol
and this is only for a midrange rank
ridiculous

today's set of leve went a little better though
got 6k
but only because i had to resort to the regen exploit again
but that took close to 6 hours
but at least it's 2x the rate of sp/hr gain from last time

had to use a lot of goddess aspect too
so not achievable every time

can't believe they were still touting this as a solo focus in last week's lodestone posting
do they even play their own game?

edit: can't believe i'm actually contemplating quitting the game...
all the other nagging issues i could live with
but if i can't even level up
then what's the point of playing

this is making me so angry
cuz i was actually enjoying the game so much despite ALL of its flaws

I pretty much told you guys point blank to be patient during the launch window and wait for Lindblum to open up so you could make a character that could join the GAF linkshell. It's pointless for me to say "I told you so" a month after the fact, though. Especially since right now we have no idea how to get around the problem with the LS being full and only a small number of people in the LS actually still playing and there being no way to remove inactive and permanently quit players.

Gonna be on for sure tonight after 6 est, will make a secondary LS we can all use until I can clear out the other one. Will port around and sack people.

Azrael

Reallink said:
Well said. Most of you reading this will have to imagine yourselves out of the Lindblum Neogaf social circle to understand what I'm about to say, but the lack of a simple no nonsense search/seek feature is the most critical issue with the game right now. Yes, I really went there. It trumps the UI, Lag, Wards/AH, and everything else. Those are all annoyances (admittedly major), but not being able to progress past Rank 20 (or doing so at a pace 50 times slower than intended) is game breaking. It's a shame most people still seem to be under R20 (or focus on crafting), cause SE doesn't even seem to be aware of the problem. The forthcoming patch notes make no mention of addressing this before 2011. Partying is every bit as enjoyable as early days FFXI, but it's virtually impossible to pull off unless you rode in with some kind of prearranged group.

And on top of all the other problems with partying, there's no level sync feature, so you won't be able to party with your LS mates if they're not around the same rank. And if you do party and one of them happens to also be leveling a mage class, your SP rate will go way down.

Londa

Banned
I really suggest taking a break from the game and playing other games while FFXIV gets more updates.

I actually might go back today and re-read some of the up and coming patch notes so I'll know what is expected in late Nov. But that version update will not solve all the issues, its really going to take a lot of time to get to where FFXI is.

I would suppect a year is when the game will really grow into its own skin. I'm not excusing anything. But I know that when people take a break and come back to all new stuff, it lights the fire back in them to play some more.

p.s. take a break until after the free trail is up. If you can't stand it even when the game is free, then yeah, break asap.

Cmagus

Unknown Soldier said:
I pretty much told you guys point blank to be patient during the launch window and wait for Lindblum to open up so you could make a character that could join the GAF linkshell. It's pointless for me to say "I told you so" a month after the fact, though. Especially since right now we have no idea how to get around the problem with the LS being full and only a small number of people in the LS actually still playing and there being no way to remove inactive and permanently quit players.

Well I mean why would anyone wait on a new game they just got.When I started I was playing with friends and sadly they all left and it's kinda sad that I should have to wait on a new MMO.

Anyways no point in me saying anything anymore the situation is what it is I'll break I guess I'll see what happens in the update but it would probably have to be significant for me to care to return so we will see.

Cmagus said:
Well I mean why would anyone wait on a new game they just got.When I started I was playing with friends and sadly they all left and it's kinda sad that I should have to wait on a new MMO.

Anyways no point in me saying anything anymore the situation is what it is I'll break I guess I'll see what happens in the update but it would probably have to be significant for me to care to return so we will see.

What did you learn from all of this?

GAF BEFORE BROS

Londa

Banned
I agree that when you buy a new game, you dont expect to be waiting for the game to get good in a years time.

I remember some people in gaf warning folks who were interested to not buy the game at launch because of it being a paid beta. I knew that it wasn't going to be a complete game at launch so I bought it always.

I think a lot of people bought the game because they wished they were playing during JP launch of FFXI. I also feel this way. But we have to remember JP launch was a mess.

I don't think it'll be as long as a year...they've been talking about making some major content updates around the PS3 launch (they were debating between releasing the remaning classes in a patch or expansion and they were leaning towards patches), so I'd say around March is definitely the time to look back at the game and see how it's progressed.

It's likely the major reason the PS3 version was delayed...they probably saw this coming a while back.

Ravidrath

Pai Pai Master said:
It's likely the major reason the PS3 version was delayed...they probably saw this coming a while back.

Yeah, and then cut everything back to the bare-bones to make it out before Cataclysm.

Kyoufu

Londa said:
I think a lot of people bought the game because they wished they were playing during JP launch of FFXI. I also feel this way. But we have to remember JP launch was a mess.

No it wasn't, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Kyoufu said:

Er...FFXI JP launch was pretty spotty and we got a free time extension back then too. If you go back and look at patch notes it was a couple months before they implemented crucial stuff like the Auction House...not very different from XIV at all. Probably the only major difference was that the console version launched first.

Londa

Banned
Kyoufu said:

You also don't need to flame me for no reason.

So then why did the president of Square apoligise to everyone and give a 1 month refund to customers?

Oh, so JP launch had an AH (ah came in a verison update), more than 6 jobs, Jeuno, more than the main cities and the two-three areas that are linked to them, ROTZ expansion, Windower version, summons, balanced jobs, etc?

did you play JP launch?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah most people only remember the US launch and for an MMO launch that was a pretty good one. People forget the Japanese essentially gave it an extra year of beta testing for their release. The Japanese release had gotten bugs out and by the time the US got it there was a ton of content and all the jobs were in place (other than ToaU and WotG jobs)

Amneisac

This business of extending the free trial period makes me sad inside. I want to love this game so bad, but it's just impossible for me. I can only imagine this is in response to a very large percentage of early adopters canceling their accounts. I really hope they can get things turned around with this game.

Zomba13

Kyoufu said:
Neither do you apparently >.>

Anyway I think I'm gonna hold off on FFXIV until more patches (gonna wait for them to patch the fun in lols).
Been playing WoW with a friend and really enjoying it this time around (maybe because of the x3 exp bonus from the refer a friend thing, or maybe because I'm actually playing it with someone)

I'll be keeping my eye on FFxiv updates and news and coming back when I think it'll be more fun. I think I burned out early because I played the beta.

Zomba13 said:
I'll be keeping my eye on FFxiv updates and news and coming back when I think it'll be more fun. I think I burned out early because I played the beta.

Yeah it's been tough being patient with this game since Alpha started. :lol

I really don't mind waiting though, I'm glad I can take a little bit of time to experience WoW.

Ravidrath

I'm curious what will be in tonight's update. I wish they'd tell us, but my guess is that they won't fully know what's ready until a few hours before it goes live.

What does bug me, though, is the "Known Issues" posts, because they are so woefully inadequate. I'm mostly complaining about the Alt-Tab and SP bugs, two things they have surely been inundated with feedback about, yet haven't acknowledged them yet.

To be fair, the SP bug I could see being difficult to find and fix, since it's intermittent and in a high-latency situation.

The Alt-Tab bug, on the other hand, just seems like Programming 101, and they have some stubborn, inside-out reason for not fixing it, just like they did with XI.

Kyoufu said:
One of the biggest atrocities of the game is battle regimens. That shit is no fun to use at all.

How exactly do they work, mechanically? Like, how much setup is involved, how does the stamina work, etc.?

Every time I read their description it makes no sense to me, and feels like it's missing a piece or two to make it usable.

Jinko

HappyBivouac said:

FF11 was an amazing game if you could get through the crap of constantly being laughed at by the developers, being kicked in the balls until you wanted to cry and standing around aimlessly doing nothing.

Anyone who played 11 can see the development team has learnt very little, they claim Solo friendly but the game is still a huge huge time sync the running from one area to the next can take up to 30 minutes in each area, if I want to pick up leves and maximum my crafting and battle SP I have to travel to all 3, that's an hour wasted just trying to start my quests.

Game design is ridiculous, partying isn't enjoyable, as I said before FF11 had perfect party mechanics and they went and ruined it, crafting is the best thing in this game... but what happens when everyone leaves and nobody can sell their items anymore, don't get me started with the wards its just a complete and utter mess that should be scrapped instead of investing more time trying to get it working.

Azrael

I think I'm going to call it quits. I played Final Fantasy XI for two years and had a love/hate relationship with the game. I was hoping SE would keep the things I liked about XI and modernize it but they haven't delivered. I don't hate the game, and there are times when I enjoy it, but when I think about all the time I am sinking into this game while I'm missing out on games like Dead Rising 2, Fallout New Vegas, and Vanquish, it's just not worth it. I'll sleep on it for a few days, and if I still feel the same way log back in and retire from the LS to clear a space for someone else. When Guild Wars 2 comes out, I'll give the genre another try.

Coldsnap

pancakesandsex said:
Gonna be on for sure tonight after 6 est, will make a secondary LS we can all use until I can clear out the other one. Will port around and sack people.

I nominate the second LS name to be: Stars of Destiny Elementals

Lets make sure most of OG Stars of Destiny gets the pearl so we can talk to the other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom