• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:
Conjurer - hilariously broken. Can't survive a hit because it doesn't have Firm Conviction. (Thaumaturge does.) Gets hit a lot because it almost has to be in melee range to cast spells and heal. Worst SP gain of all classes right now, which is why it basically can't do it's job of nuking mobs because nukes net almost no SP compared to spamming healing spells. Every conjurer we have in our parties go through a cycle of stand near mob, heal a lot, die to the mob's aoe nuke, watch the party finish killing the mob, return to home point, run back, rinse and repeat. And they get the worst SP of all of us!

You need better CONs for your party. There's no reason a CON needs to stand close unless they're trying to heal themselves along with the party. Cure has really good range.

Shouta

Kronotech said:
Light Strike is just a temp boost. It wears off after 10 seconds or so. At 14, my PUG will start with Featherfoot (Increases Evasion until attack is evaded), then throw a Light Strike down, and then Concussive Blow (reduces targets accuracy - can be stacked) once my TP reaches 1000.

With all that, I still get hit frequently.

Yep, Light strike and Concussive Blow are pretty nice of a combination but still, not enough evasion overall, needs more or make Guard :)lol) proc more often.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unkown soldier- cmagus said that marauders needed higher than optimal rank armor so my reply was in the context of being a marauder and not any other class.

Also, your class assessments are pretty accurate for the most part, but I think you may be letting our recent party experiences get in the way considering that the party wwe run with has a large rank differential. Kessand hip and I are the highest rank so its natural that our performance will be better than others. Even a 2 or 3 rank difference makes a big difference.

Also, for CON survivability, mj is 11 ranks below the top ranked pt members, so he's gonna be especially squishier than normal against level 50 mobs.

Archer is a pretty decent class, imo. I don't think its a fluke that the first rank 50 is an archer.

Rentahamster said:
Also, for CON survivability, mj is 11 ranks below the top ranked pt members, so he's gonna be especially squishier than normal against level 50 mobs.

You're absolutely right about that, but then we brought Tech in the party and he was doing the exact same die cycle that mj was.

Archer is a pretty decent class, imo. I don't think its a fluke that the first rank 50 is an archer.

Nah, I like my class quite a bit even though I bitch about it all the time. The saying (joke?) in MMOGs goes that if people aren't bitching about something regarding their class, they're going to get nerfed soon. In other words, if you're actually really happy about your class, that means the nerfbat is about to beat you about the head and neck anytime now. :lol

Also, archers can really proc a lot of SP if they land a bunch of nukes successfully and they all proc. I'm not surprised the first rank 50 was an archer either, nor am I surprised the second rank 50 was a marauder.

Cmagus

I have a question for those who use a 360 controller.I was wondering does the 360 chat pad work with this game? I forgot there was one and Id like to not use the keyboard if possible so anyone know?

DrDogg

Cmagus said:
I have a question for those who use a 360 controller.I was wondering does the 360 chat pad work with this game? I forgot there was one and Id like to not use the keyboard if possible so anyone know?

I wanted to use it with FFXI, and as I recall, there's no tab or "/" buttons, so you can't do half of the commands.

Ravidrath

If you haven't checked out the new nVidia drivers, definitely do so.

I was running in 1920x1200 w/ 3/4 buffer, because full resolution was completely unplayable.

With the new drivers, I get near the framerate I had before in full resolution, and I turned the texture setting up a notch, too.

Forbiden

I've heard some horror stories about the new set of 260 drivers that nVidia released, so I am hesitant to update. My game is running just fine the way it is, aside from the occasional and very random crashes

Ravidrath

Forbiden said:
I've heard some horror stories about the new set of 260 drivers that nVidia released, so I am hesitant to update. My game is running just fine the way it is, aside from the occasional and very random crashes

I'm getting 20-25% improved performance, I'd say, but FFXIV is the only PC game I play.

Canti

My game just crashed, and when I restarted my intro screen had changed (assuming this is for everyone)...

0a61l.png

The smoke at the bottom moves around.

Halloween event? I thought they said nothing til Christmas?

kiryogi

Banned
Canti said:
My game just crashed, and when I restarted my intro screen had changed (assuming this is for everyone)...

0a61l.png

The smoke at the bottom moves around.

Halloween event? I thought they said nothing til Christmas?

Smokes always been there, but not easily noticable. And just checked now, screen still white.

Coldsnap

Pretty sure I cancelled my account, that account site is pretty convoluted. Hopefully I didnt do anything wrong.

I'm just gonna play on the free trial, they should make it go through November too.

kiryogi said:
Man fuck gladiators.

You might as well just start leveling a new class rather than burn yourself out on a shitty gimped one and ragequit. I like playing with you and I don't want you to quit. Your gladiator will still be there in November when they (presumably) will nerf and buff classes.

I understand the mentality of constantly grinding and powerleveling and racing to the cap. I used to be like that too, when I didn't have a full-time job and other time-wasting things I do just so I can make a living. Those days are over for me now, because I simply don't have the time to invest that other people do anymore.

Unnecessary tangent: there's a particular trait that I share with Azunyan. It's probably why I identify so strongly with her and why she's my avatar. She and I both get lonely very easily. I'm not sure if this makes me moe or what. :lol MMOG history shows that people like me and you will quit when they don't have anybody to play with anymore and are alone. I play MMOGs to play with other people (and I do believe you are the same way as me, Rain, judging from your in-game behavior) and if I have nobody to play with, then I have no reason to play period. So don't burn yourself out trying to keep up with people who are now 10 ranks ahead of you and the gap is only widening. Start a new job instead, we all have subjobs we like to level when we get tired of our main jobs.

gsarjeant

Unknown Soldier said:
I play MMOGs to play with other people (and I do believe you are the same way as me, Rain, judging from your in-game behavior) and if I have nobody to play with, then I have no reason to play period. So don't burn yourself out trying to keep up with people who are now 10 ranks ahead of you and the gap is only widening. Start a new job instead, we all have subjobs we like to level when we get tired of our main jobs.

There are also some of us who are going considerably more slowly than the main force. My highest combat classes are THM and CON, both at Rank 10. I knew going in that I wasn't going to be able to keep pace (the CE released the day before I entered what was hopefully my last big travel push for the year), so I've just been doing my own thing for the most part (I'm Iambic, by the way).

I'm more into MMOs for the world and atmosphere than for the achievement, so I'm not putting any pressure on myself. I've made that mistake before, and it just ends up with me burned out. I can't promise to always be around, but if any of you ever feel like you need a break and see me on, hit me up. I'm game for some low-key parties if people want to level subjobs or just need a pressure-release valve.

Sounds like your CON's need more vit. at 36 I currently have 84 VIT and that is on the low end, I have seen a few that are pushing 90-100

Yep definitely a lot of people seem to be ignoring some stats entirely. Everyone needs VIT...just because you can choose to ignore it doesn't mean you should. Though it was automatic in FFXI it's not like mage jobs never gained any VIT from 1-85. If you're r20 CON or THM and you haven't added any vitality you're doing it wrong. :p

lol ^ this.

No reason anyone should be getting one shotted unless they are seriously low lvl compared to the mob. I was fighting Mountain Pestie the other day and even from their AoE, and I wouldnt get one shotted. Also if they are wearing gear that is higher lvl then them they may not be getting the defense they need or think they are getting.

Teknoman said:
I think an ideal range is about 10 ranks above your current. Maybe 15 ranks higher than your current...but thats pushing it...for armor anyway.
Heh - if you're gonna wear stuff that far higher, don't complain about the cost of repairs :) I try to wear/use stuff less than 5 ranks away, rarely have to deal with repairs, and then only on the thing I'm furthest from rank on.

DrDogg said:
You need better CONs for your party. There's no reason a CON needs to stand close unless they're trying to heal themselves along with the party. Cure has really good range.
But what about their attack spells? CON isn't only a healing class.

jiggle

starting to get guildmarks on DoH now

can someone be so kind to explain to me
what are all these "trainings" i can buy with guildmarks?
don't i already have them?
i've been crafting stuffs that required certain trainings all the time?

Dreamwriter said:
But what about their attack spells? CON isn't only a healing class.

It is if they actually want SP and to rank conj up.

jiggle said:
starting to get guildmarks on DoH now

can someone be so kind to explain to me
what are all these "trainings" i can buy with guildmarks?
don't i already have them?
i've been crafting stuffs that required certain trainings all the time?

Just as with the battle classes, you can talk to an NPC at the guild and buy special skills or traits for your crafting classes. I'm pretty sure the training you buy increases your chance of succeeding at the particular synth they are associated with.

TheFatOne

I want to play this more, but I just have too many games I am playing right now. I can only play this game for a few hours a week now. It is going to take forever for me to rank up now :(

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Also, there are no pants or head pieces for gathering classes, and the lowest gathering waist piece is rank 17. :lol

There is head gear which gives perception which is a crafting stat. Hempen/Cotton/Velveteen Turban for example.

And yes its a gathering stat, check your Attribute window when you switch to a gathering class it will be one of your main 3 stats.

Perception increases the chance to hit the sweet spot when gathering.

Unkown Soldier said:
So don't burn yourself out trying to keep up with people who are now 10 ranks ahead of you and the gap is only widening. Start a new job instead, we all have subjobs we like to level when we get tired of our main jobs.

Great advice, part the reason I wanted to quit was because I felt I coudn't keep up with some of the LS members at the time.

Switched to Conjurer and having a lot more fun with the game, it's all about play style at the end of the day aswell, leveling up multiple classes is a lot more fun and doesn't seem as grindy as just picking one class and sticking with it.

As a couple guys mention, many conjurers neglect vit so there is no surprise when they get one shot, bad mob balancing is partly to blame, some mobs like imps are crazy overpowered with their incantation spell, thankfully they screw it up 70% of the time.

kiryogi

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
You might as well just start leveling a new class rather than burn yourself out on a shitty gimped one and ragequit. I like playing with you and I don't want you to quit. Your gladiator will still be there in November when they (presumably) will nerf and buff classes.

I understand the mentality of constantly grinding and powerleveling and racing to the cap. I used to be like that too, when I didn't have a full-time job and other time-wasting things I do just so I can make a living. Those days are over for me now, because I simply don't have the time to invest that other people do anymore.

Unnecessary tangent: there's a particular trait that I share with Azunyan. It's probably why I identify so strongly with her and why she's my avatar. She and I both get lonely very easily. I'm not sure if this makes me moe or what. :lol MMOG history shows that people like me and you will quit when they don't have anybody to play with anymore and are alone. I play MMOGs to play with other people (and I do believe you are the same way as me, Rain, judging from your in-game behavior) and if I have nobody to play with, then I have no reason to play period. So don't burn yourself out trying to keep up with people who are now 10 ranks ahead of you and the gap is only widening. Start a new job instead, we all have subjobs we like to level when we get tired of our main jobs.

I so want to give you a Yui hug for that. I was just really tired last night, but looking at the state of gladiator currently really did piss me off.

kiryogi

Banned
Another quiet update

[Date & Time]
Oct. 28, 2010 at 02:00 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]

- An issue where the client would automatically shut down when the user canceled out of synthesis has been addressed.

- An issue where users would sometimes be unable to remove items from their Bazaars has been addressed.
* If you have been affected by the above issue, you will need to add or remove an item from your Bazaar for the fix to be reflected.

- An issue where the Bazaar would crash under certain conditions has been addressed.

- Increased server capacity has been implemented.

Forbiden

Rentahamster said:
Very quiet.

And very lame. Of all the things they could do, they increased server capacity? I don't really think servers are going to start getting overpopulated anytime soon :lol

RainbowByte

Neo Member
Forbiden said:
And very lame. Of all the things they could do, they increased server capacity? I don't really think servers are going to start getting overpopulated anytime soon :lol
The increased server capacity is for when they have to merge servers because they will lose all those people that held on playing only because of the 30day trial extension :lol

jiggle

i hope rabanastre gets merged with lindblum!

another friend quit the game yesterday
not even gonna use up the rest of the free month
that just leaves around 5 ppl on my FL that's actively playing. :/

something is wrong with the progression system in this game when i get the same sp from fighting blue/green/yellow mobs
seriously SMH

hgplayer1

Salaadin said:
Is SoD even in use anymore? Its so quiet in there. I assumed both would still be used.

If you have both pearls you can see chat from both. Most people are chatting in the alt pearl from what I could tell last night. I stay pretty quiet for no particular reason.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
There is head gear which gives perception which is a crafting stat. Hempen/Cotton/Velveteen Turban for example.

And yes its a gathering stat, check your Attribute window when you switch to a gathering class it will be one of your main 3 stats.

Perception increases the chance to hit the sweet spot when gathering.

I realized that a few posts down from the one you quoted. Now all I need is to find the gather belt I want (no sign of the mats or the belt in the lovely market ward system).

Jinko said:
Switched to Conjurer and having a lot more fun with the game, it's all about play style at the end of the day aswell, leveling up multiple classes is a lot more fun and doesn't seem as grindy as just picking one class and sticking with it.

As a couple guys mention, many conjurers neglect vit so there is no surprise when they get one shot, bad mob balancing is partly to blame, some mobs like imps are crazy overpowered with their incantation spell, thankfully they screw it up 70% of the time.

Says the person who scolded me for ranking up 11 classes at once... :lol

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Says the person who scolded me for ranking up 11 classes at once... :lol

Well not really scolded you, I just said it gets harder to level multiple crafting classes efficiently, which i stand by.

It sure is more fun though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Note -

Rank 40 Uldah leves: Pretty cool

Rank 40 Limsa leves: Stupid as hell

A semi-retarded aldgoat could design better quests :lol

Forbiden said:
Yet tons of people have been complaining about lag... but don't expect anything major at all until the November patch, they made it obvious they are setting up the November and December patches as the big Miracle Patches. From the wording of their messages, it sounded to me like we weren't going to get *any* more patches before the November patch.

Dreamwriter said:
Yet tons of people have been complaining about lag... but don't expect anything major at all until the November patch, they made it obvious they are setting up the November and December patches as the big Miracle Patches. From the wording of their messages, it sounded to me like we weren't going to get *any* more patches before the November patch.

What in their wording has said we won't see more small weekly patches?

PS. I'M BACK! :D :D :D :D

Jinko

I'm getting a little tired of checking everyday and not getting any 20+ local leves, how the fuck do they expect me to get my training if I can't get the guild marks.

Salaadin

Jinko said:
I'm getting a little tired of checking everyday and not getting any 20+ local leves, how the fuck do they expect me to get my training if I can't get the guild marks.

Even when I get 20+ leves, I dont even get guild marks from them. Its completely idiotic that I cant advance my job because of some random system that seems to want to hold me back more than it helps me.

Salaadin said:
Even when I get 20+ leves, I dont even get guild marks from them. Its completely idiotic that I cant advance my job because of some random system that seems to want to hold me back more than it helps me.

Why can't you advance? I was under the impression that getting the training was sort of a permanent guild support type thing.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Why can't you advance? I was under the impression that getting the training was sort of a permanent guild support type thing.

I shouldve clarified. I meant to advance further than just typical SP/XP gains. I want to advance the job in ways other than job rank up but the game isnt allowing me to do this. I feel stuck in a rut where the only feeling of advancement I get from ARM is watching that SP bar go up.

Effect

Has there been a significant population drop off in game on the various servers everyone is on? Haven't logged in a while (absolutely no desire to) so was curious?

Haint

Effect said:
Has there been a significant population drop off in game on the various servers everyone is on? Haven't logged in a while (absolutely no desire to) so was curious?

About 40-50% drop Vs. launch window on mine--caught it at 900 concurrent players a few times. It's pretty much whittled down to nothing but masochists, craft-tards, and fanboys that will put up with anything. There doesn't seem to be many (or any) new players entering the game, beginner camps are straight dead. They have been bleeding players weekly by withholding the updates for their attempted relaunch and overhaul in Nov/Dec. I'm not sure it's going to work out in their favor Vs. releasing them piece-wise.

Jinko

I'm having a bad day with the game today.

Where is the fun !! ?

The fact everything is so hidden is starting to bug me, why is it that when i cast protect or shell it doesn't show up in the stats page. (even 11 had this)

Why is it that when i eat food it doesn't show up (11 had this also), why can i not mouse over the food icon and it tell what stat bonus it is giving me.

Why do I get Dc'd through no fault of my own and lose 2k Guild marks... why why why.

There is a new article about crafting stats on the lodestone, points out that what everyone was theorizing was actually bull and that control isn't much use unless you spam rapid.

They need tooltips in the game when mousing over stats to tell us exatcly what they do.

Why is it that if i reach my cap on a stat it doesn't tell me ?, should it not go red or something to indicate that the cap has been reached. (11 did this too)

Fuck me SE why are you are so sadistic, why do we have to suffer when we should be having fun.

It's kind of shocking that in the 8 years of FF11 they didn't learn much at all, I think the dev team need to take a month and play other MMO's out there, because they clearly have no idea what players expect.

Azzurri

Jinko said:
I'm having a bad day with the game today.

Where is the fun !! ?

The fact everything is so hidden is starting to bug me, why is it that when i cast protect or shell it doesn't show up in the stats page. (even 11 had this)

Why is it that when i eat food it doesn't show up (11 had this also), why can i not mouse over the food icon and it tell what stat bonus it is giving me.

Why do I get Dc'd through no fault of my own and lose 2k Guild marks... why why why.

There is a new article about crafting stats on the lodestone, points out that what everyone was theorizing was actually bull and that control isn't much use unless you spam rapid.

They need tooltips in the game when mousing over stats to tell us exatcly what they do.

Why is it that if i reach my cap on a stat it doesn't tell me ?, should it not go red or something to indicate that the cap has been reached. (11 did this too)

Fuck me SE why are you are so sadistic, why do we have to suffer when we should be having fun.

It's kind of shocking that in the 8 years of FF11 they didn't learn much at all, I think the dev team need to take a month and play other MMO's out there, because they clearly have no idea what players expect.

The game reminds me of when you had to go to websites for any info on almost everything. It's like I'm stuck in 1998, last time I checked it was 2010.

Jinko said:

But but Tanaka is too busy to play any other MMOGs since he works 27-hour days on FFXIV!! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom