• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Well alot of the stuff about stats are covered in Call to Adventure, at any aetheryte. But yeah, mouseovers or just cursor selects would be helpful.

Whats this about stat caps though?

Atrus

Gold Member
Effect said:
Has there been a significant population drop off in game on the various servers everyone is on? Haven't logged in a while (absolutely no desire to) so was curious?

Near constant attrition so far. I've been keeping a close eye on it and on Figaro we're down to a little under 1200 on NA peak. We get a +100 to +200 boost when the Japanese come in and perhaps a close to a 40-50% boost on weekends.

As for the type of people who have simply just stopped playing, they're from across the board. Everything from hardcore MMO veterans to newbie MMO players.

I've considered the possibility that they would merge servers but given that the characters could be revived at any time, they might not do so until there's definitive proof that the low numbers represent long-term subs.

We'll probably see a Welcome Back to Eorzea campaign fairly soon in it's lifespan.

Atrus said:
We'll probably see a Welcome Back to Eorzea campaign fairly soon in it's lifespan.

I would imagine they would stage one at the same time as the PS3 launch or shortly after it for the PC players who quit before the promised miracle patches. I really wonder if the dev team had any say in when the PC version launched or was this entirely determined by the corporate overlords.

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
Well alot of the stuff about stats are covered in Call to Adventure, at any aetheryte. But yeah, mouseovers or just cursor selects would be helpful.

Whats this about stat caps though?

Call to Adventure tells you exactly what every stat does?

Caps are definitely in the game. When I reached something like 15 CON and 28 Physical, I stopped putting points toward MND because I wasn't getting an MP boost (I had reached the MP > MND cap for that rank). Instead, I put points toward VIT (which I needed to do anyway). When I hit 17 CON and 30 Physical, I put a few points in MND to see if anything would happen and low and behold, I got more MP (and my cure healed for more as well). If it would tell me when MND was capped, I'd know when to focus on VIT and other stats.

Jinko

YG updated the bazaar manager and now you can add/seek repairs.

At least someone is trying to fix the games limitations. :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DrDogg said:

Caps are definitely in the game. When I reached something like 15 CON and 28 Physical, I stopped putting points toward MND because I wasn't getting an MP boost (I had reached the MP > MND cap for that rank). Instead, I put points toward VIT (which I needed to do anyway). When I hit 17 CON and 30 Physical, I put a few points in MND to see if anything would happen and low and behold, I got more MP (and my cure healed for more as well). If it would tell me when MND was capped, I'd know when to focus on VIT and other stats.
It's funny, during beta, I could have sworn I saw a "More points in this stat will not have any further effect" sort of message.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:

Yeah just basic stuff though, like Str being physical attack, Piety being magical accuracy, etc.

DrDogg

So yesterday my internet was up and down all day. Got that fixed today and my video card wants to freak out after playing for less than 10 minutes.

I updated my ATI drivers and Direct X drivers and it still crashes. I've given up for tonight. Six weeks of the game running fine with little to no video card issues and suddenly this happens? WTF?! This is why I hate PC gaming.

PS3 version, {Can I have it?}

DrDogg said:
So yesterday my internet was up and down all day. Got that fixed today and my video card wants to freak out after playing for less than 10 minutes.

I updated my ATI drivers and Direct X drivers and it still crashes. I've given up for tonight. Six weeks of the game running fine with little to no video card issues and suddenly this happens? WTF?! This is why I hate PC gaming.

Try a clean driver reinstall maybe? Nvidia gives that as an option now when you install new ones, not sure about ati.

jiggle

JWitham said:
For Nvidia card-users, be sure to install the newly released drivers (260.99). It specifically address performance issues with Final Fantasy XIV. After installing it, I noticed a nice increase in frame rate.

just want to add that
take caution if u want to install this
after installation
the game's been crashing on me at least once everyday
up until then, it crashed like a handful of times and only around the time the game launched

anyway to downgrade these drivers? XD

DrDogg said:

My game's been crashing constantly as well in the last few days. Pretty annoying.

Edit: Yeah, might be the new drivers. Performance is definitely increased but it doesn't help if it's causing more crashes.

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
just want to add that
after installation
up until then, it crashed like a handful of times and only around the time the game launched

I had some crashes since installing them, but I don't think they were video card related. They haven't happened since.

Yesterday I ran the game for like 8+ hours without any problems, except towards the end it started to chug... think there's a memory leak in there somewhere.

DrDogg

So... I rolled back my drivers, updated them, rolled them back again, updated again and rolled back again. I also flashed my bios. It worked for about 40 minutes straight last night before I logged, and then about 25 minutes today. But now it's crashed on me twice in about 10 minutes.

A quick google search shows this is a common problem. I'm just about to give up. This is ridiculous.

Haint

jiggle said:
just want to add that
after installation

Ravidrath said:
I had some crashes since installing them, but I don't think they were video card related. They haven't happened since.

Yesterday I ran the game for like 8+ hours without any problems, except towards the end it started to chug... think there's a memory leak in there somewhere.

I'm leaning heavily towards it being driver related. I actually had 0 crashes on the retail release running the older drivers (259.XX or whatever), but have crashed 3 or 4 times since installing 260.99 a few days ago.

I've had no problems with the 260.99 drivers. Typically my game client runs in 24-hour stretches, I'll leave it running overnight and all day on weekdays AFK bazaaring, when I get home from work and want to play, I will typically quit and re-launch the client before actively playing because of the known memory leak issue the client has. I think I've crashed the client back to desktop a total of 3 times during the retail release.

Use Windower XIV. The native fullscreen mode is all kinds of fucked up.

Kerrinck said:
If I buy the game in Europe, will my account be locked to that region? Or can I choose which region to play when signing up?

FFXIV (and FFXI) is like EVE, there is only one cluster of servers in Japan and everyone uses the same servers. On Lindblum, I frequently see people speaking Japanese and German in addition to English. Your region only determines your method of payment available to you.

Jinko

Saw these and couldn't resist.. >.>

ffxiv1288570847.jpg

Ravidrath

Teknoman said:
:lol yup.

In all seriousness, i'm surprised there isnt a monocle headpiece.

Many NPCs have them, so I suspect one will be coming.

BTW, regarding the last update and the "increased server capacity."

Given the state of the game, I can only imagine that increasing the server capacity is the beginning of preparations for server merges.

Even though it would make sense for them to merge servers from a fiscal and logistical point of view, I feel that announcement would be the last nail in the coffin for the game's reputation.

Zinga

Banned
I know this game hasn't had the greatest launch but still there is something about this title that appeals to me, do you think the game is fixable or is it broken beyond redemption? I guess I could always go play FF11 instead since I have never played it!

Teknoman

Considering what they're supposed to be adding in November/ December patches, yeah its fixable. The problem is that it launched with nothing more than the stuff that was in the final stage of the beta.

Most people think that a decent amount of issues should be straightened out by PS3 version launch.

Atrus

Gold Member
Zinga said:
I know this game hasn't had the greatest launch but still there is something about this title that appeals to me, do you think the game is fixable or is it broken beyond redemption? I guess I could always go play FF11 instead since I have never played it!

Could it be fixed? Yes. Will it be fixed anytime soon? I doubt it. As I said before, it'll probably be a year before it reaches 'ok' status.

There's a significant number of issues with the game to the point where it cannot be recommended under any circumstance at the moment.

Even their 'miracle' patches casts severe doubt as to when we will see even basic functions like an in-game mail system much less a host of issues on just about everything.

Zinga said:
Square has listed the minimum things they'll be fixing/adding in the November and December patches, those combined with the already-released Market Wards patch will solve almost all of the problems reviews have mentioned. Here's a partial list of the things those two patches are adding:

• Adjustments and additions to the user interface, including inventory sort, map navigation, targeting fixes, keyboard mapping, and a general menu redesign
  • Adjustments to the Markets and retainers, including a market search and highlight system
  • Lowering of Teleport and Return costs, allowing you to set 3 nodes that get half-price teleports
  • Adjustments to party battle balance
  • Adjustments to monster placement (filling up the world with a lot more monsters)
  • Alleviation of lag issues
  • Addition of notorious monsters
  • Addition of new guildleves and types of guildleves

The next major patch after December is scheduled for March - Square wants to have a major content patch every 3 months. And if you'll check out the reviews, they all pretty much say the game is fun and has lots of potential, but is just flawed for now. These two patches will go a long ways to fixing the issues; they will put the game where it should have been at launch.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dreamwriter said:
[*]Addition of new guildleves and types of guildleves
I'm surprised at how disappointed I am in the quest design. I didn't think I would care that much, but then again, I didn't think they were gonna be so unoriginal, bland, and repetitive. A five-year-old could design better quest objectives.

Acquiring rank 40 leves and being introduced to the mind-numbing "Defense" leves? Fucking hell....

Londa

Banned
tbh, what I hope gets added to FFXIV(I know it wont be in the next version update) will be, some type of player home, chocobos(I know they have these but they haven't given anyone access to it yet), npc quest (like in FFXI, not job related, gives you more story about the world, with items/titles/key items as rewards), and the use of airships (I know they have these but they haven't given anyone access to it yet).

jiggle

did rank 26 mission for uldah
god i hate stealth
there's a moment there that really shows off how epic the storyline is getting though
the part where those winged machines stomps through the the wood
can't wait to see more
if i can even get that high =.=

local leves need some tweaking
looked through 3 nations and 15 leves available to my weaver
and like 12 are them are for 17 lower ranks
completely useless
it needs a rank categorized system like regional leves

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ding Rank 36 Marauder.

Did the 3rd class quest and unlocked the MRD affinity trait.

Apparently, when equipped, you can use all MRD-only skills on other classes.

I was using Heavy Swing, Full Swing, and Iron Tempest as a Lancer. The damage is really gimped, however. Not sure what the stuff about "affinity +10 to a max of 100" stuff means yet.

Rentahamster said:
Acquiring rank 40 leves and being introduced to the mind-numbing "Defense" leves? Fucking hell....

The funny part is watching the timer just count down to zero and then you win. I get the feeling that there is supposed to be an epic boss fight at zero but Squenix hasn't put the boss monsters into the game yet... :lol

Where are the XI like beastmen? They're in the game right? I loved leveling low jobs, rushing into the orc place and slaughtering them :lol

demosthenes said:
Where are the XI like beastmen? They're in the game right? I loved leveling low jobs, rushing into the orc place and slaughtering them :lol

They're in there. So far I've met the Ixali in Gridania region and whatever they are called in Ul'Dah region. If you do the story and class quests (starting at battle rank 20) you'll see them quite a bit. There's also a leve you can do in Gridania where you kill some rogue sylphs, though the sylphs are a bit too kawaii to really qualify as beastmen. :lol

jiggle

aren't the kobolds goblins?
you can see qiqirns walking around the field
and i think someone mentioned seeing sahagins also

Unknown Soldier said:
There's also a leve you can do in Gridania where you kill some rogue sylphs, though the sylphs are a bit too kawaii to really qualify as beastmen. :lol
they're like the creepiest thing of them all

24xhwrl.jpg

Londa

Banned
jiggle said:

24xhwrl.jpg

aww that isn't creepy. Its lolita beastmen. :lol

jiggle said:

24xhwrl.jpg

What the hell is that?! :lol

DrDogg

Ravidrath said:
Many NPCs have them, so I suspect one will be coming.

BTW, regarding the last update and the "increased server capacity."

Given the state of the game, I can only imagine that increasing the server capacity is the beginning of preparations for server merges.

Even though it would make sense for them to merge servers from a fiscal and logistical point of view, I feel that announcement would be the last nail in the coffin for the game's reputation.

SE won't merge servers until at least a few months after the PS3 release. I'm sure they anticipate a big influx of new players with the PS3 version, so it really wouldn't make sense to merge servers, then have capacity issues in a few months and add new ones.

Dreamwriter said:
Square has listed the minimum things they'll be fixing/adding in the November and December patches, those combined with the already-released Market Wards patch will solve almost all of the problems reviews have mentioned.

The next major patch after December is scheduled for March - Square wants to have a major content patch every 3 months. And if you'll check out the reviews, they all pretty much say the game is fun and has lots of potential, but is just flawed for now. These two patches will go a long ways to fixing the issues; they will put the game where it should have been at launch.

All of the problems the reviews have mentioned, yes... but the reviews are clueless for the most part. There are A LOT more problems with the game than what's getting fixed in Nov/Dec. If the game launched with everything that will be included by the end of the year, I would still have a lot to complain about:

• No penalty for death: This makes adventuring far less entertaining and a general lack of accomplishment when I rank/level up.
  • No battle music.
  • Generally boring combat for mage classes.
  • Broken SP system.
  • A party system that no one uses (compared to FFXI).
  • No mail system or player houses.
  • No auction house (I don't care if they add a market ward search, it'll still be annoying... just less so)
  • Minimal mobs that aggro: The little things go a long way. Some of the most atmospheric fun I've had in FFXI is trying to get through an area without aggro, only to hear that unwanted grunt of an aggroing Orc. Even in low level areas this added to the game.
  • Everything is just too easy. Yes, it's time-consuming and annoying at times, but it's still very easy (compared to FFXI).

Until some of these things start to get addressed, the game will not be "good".

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
SE won't merge servers until at least a few months after the PS3 release. I'm sure they anticipate a big influx of new players with the PS3 version, so it really wouldn't make sense to merge servers, then have capacity issues in a few months and add new ones.

All of the problems the reviews have mentioned, yes... but the reviews are clueless for the most part. There are A LOT more problems with the game than what's getting fixed in Nov/Dec. If the game launched with everything that will be included by the end of the year, I would still have a lot to complain about:

• No penalty for death: This makes adventuring far less entertaining and a general lack of accomplishment when I rank/level up.
  • No battle music.
  • Generally boring combat for mage classes.
  • Broken SP system.
  • A party system that no one uses (compared to FFXI).
  • No mail system or player houses.
  • No auction house (I don't care if they add a market ward search, it'll still be annoying... just less so)
  • Minimal mobs that aggro: The little things go a long way. Some of the most atmospheric fun I've had in FFXI is trying to get through an area without aggro, only to hear that unwanted grunt of an aggroing Orc. Even in low level areas this added to the game.
  • Everything is just too easy. Yes, it's time-consuming and annoying at times, but it's still very easy (compared to FFXI).

Until some of these things start to get addressed, the game will not be "good".

No battle music? Every time you get into a fight, the theme changes depending on the region. And we all know guildleves/behests always have battle music playing...so I think thats one thing thats already there. As far as aggro, there are quite a few things that aggro already. They just need to make a louder/more distinctive noise when doing so.

The rest i'll agree with, aside from penalty when dying. I dont like having busted equipment, so I dont like to die. And I like leveling up to get better / flashier attacks...but I understand where you're coming from.

Teknoman

I've run into stuff in lower levels too. Traps, wolves, swarms, chigoes, certain puks, anglers, certain birds, malboros, bandits, zombies, and one apkallu that got pissed off for no reason.

jiggle

couldn't disagree more on death penalty
that's one of the biggest gripe i had with XI
this actually makes me more adventurous
instead of constantly being paranoid of losing hard earned sp/xp
for someone who listed broken sp system as a problem, you actually want to lose what precious points you earned?
spending 2-3 hours after every endgame event just to get a buffer was such a big fat waste of time
so glad this game won't have it when endgame hits

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
No battle music? Every time you get into a fight, the theme changes depending on the region. And we all know guildleves/behests always have battle music playing...so I think thats one thing thats already there. As far as aggro, there are quite a few things that aggro already. They just need to make a louder/more distinctive noise when doing so.

The rest i'll agree with, aside from penalty when dying. I dont like having busted equipment, so I dont like to die. And I like leveling up to get better / flashier attacks...but I understand where you're coming from.

Um... I get no battle music when I start a fight. Does this only happen in a party or something? The only music change I get other than regional/zone changes is when I start crafting or when I start a leve. I don't consider either of those "battle music". In FFXI the music changed every time you engaged a mob.

Death takes a larger toll on your gear durability than just taking hits, but I didn't even discuss repairing gear because I think the entire system is stupid. Perhaps if the gear wore down at a slower pace, but having to repair my gear at least once every 4-6 hours of playing is not fun for me.

Rentahamster said:
There's a lot more stuff that aggros in the higher rank areas.
Teknoman said:
I've run into stuff in lower levels too. Traps, wolves, swarms, chigoes, certain puks, anglers, certain birds, malboros, bandits, zombies, and one apkallu that got pissed off for no reason.

I want it at the lower ranks though, similar to the starting areas of FFXI. And I want sneak/invisible so I have a way to avoid the aggro. All of that added to my enjoyment of FFXI. In FFXIV I just feel like I can walk around freely for the most part, and if I die, it doesn't matter anyway. I rarely felt that way in FFXI.

jiggle said:
couldn't disagree more on death penalty
that's one of the biggest gripe i had with XI
this actually makes me more adventurous
instead of constantly being paranoid of losing hard earned sp/xp
for someone who listed broken sp system as a problem, you actually want to lose what precious points you earned?
spending 2-3 hours after every endgame event just to get a buffer was such a big fat waste of time
so glad this game won't have it when endgame hits

Obviously a death penalty with the current SP system would be unwanted. I'd like to see both changes take place, and maybe even lower the rank for raise (38? Seriously?!). I was never paranoid about losing XP in FFXI though. A majority of the time, if you died, it was your own fault. At lower levels the XP loss wasn't a big factor, and at higher levels you had raise 2 and 3 to keep the loss within reason.

I really liked the challenge of FFXI and that's severely lacking in XIV. Part of that challenge was the penalty when you died. And if you're complaining about the buffer at endgame, that's kind of lazy. With merit parties it doesn't take long to reach the cap (at 75). I rarely had to regain my buffer.

DrDogg said:
Um... I get no battle music when I start a fight. Does this only happen in a party or something? The only music change I get other than regional/zone changes is when I start crafting or when I start a leve. I don't consider either of those "battle music". In FFXI the music changed every time you engaged a mob.

No, you are definitely missing something. The music changes everytime you engage a mob in XIV.

DrDogg said:
Death takes a larger toll on your gear durability than just taking hits, but I didn't even discuss repairing gear because I think the entire system is stupid. Perhaps if the gear wore down at a slower pace, but having to repair my gear at least once every 4-6 hours of playing is not fun for me.
Then you need equipment closer to your actual rank (or to stop dying :) ). It's when you are using something more than 3 or 4 ranks higher that they wear out that quickly.

DrDogg said:
I want it at the lower ranks though, similar to the starting areas of FFXI. And I want sneak/invisible so I have a way to avoid the aggro. All of that added to my enjoyment of FFXI. In FFXIV I just feel like I can walk around freely for the most part, and if I die, it doesn't matter anyway. I rarely felt that way in FFXI.
Square did announce that they were going to be filling the world with creatures, that's probably going to set this up.

mileS

Dreamwriter said:
Then you need equipment closer to your actual rank (or to stop dying :) ). It's when you are using something more than 3 or 4 ranks higher that they wear out that quickly.

This is what everyone on the internet says but after testing this for days multiple different times I notice NO difference in how fast the dura goes down. There might be a big difference if its 15 ranks above your current but when its under 10 there is little to no difference and if there is its so damn minuscule its not even worth mentioning.

The speed that armor goes down is okay with me my problem comes with how fast your weapon will especially if you're playing solo. Yes there is a huge difference in how fast your weapon will break when playing solo compared to a group. Quick example would be my weapon getting to 49% dura within 45min of solo grinding but if I was grinding in a group I could be there for about 5-6 hours before it even goes below 50%.

jiggle

DrDogg said:
A majority of the time, if you died, it was your own fault.
really?
the XI i played, in pt & in endgame, death is completely dependent on everyone doing their job
this dwarfs the number of solo deaths

DrDogg said:
and at higher levels you had raise 2 and 3 to keep the loss within reason.

lots of occasions when those are not available

and they can add up
even thfs i knew, that were always given R3, were sick of sac-ing for events

DrDogg said:
And if you're complaining about the buffer at endgame, that's kind of lazy.

this is as batshit insane as saying XIV having a history option for craft is being lazy
there are so much to do in a game and time is limited
sorry if i rather spend the time doing something else
or put those points to better use like merits

DrDogg said:
With merit parties it doesn't take long to reach the cap (at 75).

great news for all the drg/pup/dnc/blm/thf/whm/dnc/drk/bst/pld/rng/blus that are swimming in invites :p

DrDogg said:
I rarely had to regain my buffer.

well that's great for u

but meanwhile all the blms that dies 10+ times in dynamis
can't get into pts to get buffers back
and is forced to rely on campaigns that doesn't give them as much xp as other jobs

non of that matters anymore with the release of abyssea
and i'm glad xiv doesn't even have the problem to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom