• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teknoman said:
EDIT: People are saying the JP lodestone post just says tomorrow just like EU. Theres no way the NA version has a separate maintenance, so maybe something got lost in the translation?

Plus it says the 25th ingame, so I guess NA lodestone is wrong.
The NA Lodestone's been updated to say the 25th. Server goes down 1pm Pacific Time tomorrow (Thanksgiving), comes back up at 5pm with snazzy new Miracle Patch™.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One contradiction that I don't understand yet:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=bca08cd9f4b3b725af63874e6ac32171203c9135
The amount of skill points earned in battle is now determined by the enemy being encountered, rather than by the number or type of actions performed.

But...

The accuracy rates for actions in general, both physical and magic, have been increased, making it easier for players to land attacks. This will, subsequently, result in more skill points.

The quote about the increase in accuracy seems to imply that action-based SP gain is still there, yet that contradicts the first quote.

hgplayer1

Dreamwriter said:
The NA Lodestone's been updated to say the 25th. Server goes down 1pm Pacific Time tomorrow (Thanksgiving), comes back up at 5pm with snazzy new Miracle Patch™.

edit like ninja

lol im so confused! ok so yeah update tomorrow hope they are sure this time. I plan to eat turkey, watch some football then go home and eat more turkey and watch more football while playing XIV

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=bca08cd9f4b3b725af63874e6ac32171203c9135

But...

The quote about the increase in accuracy seems to imply that action-based SP gain is still there, yet that contradicts the first quote.

Know Square's NA side, they probably just left the old half in there, just like how they messed up the update times. Or it could be that more acc = faster dead enemies = more SP?

Since S-E is adding monsters from past FF games (those Raptors were around before XI ,they used the Gigantoad design from FF II, and those huge crazy looking flies in thanalan are from FF II as well) then I want to see:

2-basilisk-a.jpg

I just have a thing for reptilian monsters.

2-doom_petals-a.jpg

(Could be used for an NM version of those flytraps)

2-killer_mantis-a.jpg

I could see these roaming around black shroud areas.

Canti

Thanks for the pics Tek.

Surprised at the small superfluous touch with the retainer costumes, undoubtedly people will complain they should be spending time on more important things right now but I like it. Great to see some FFXI monsters return too.

Teknoman

No prob. I'm sure most of these will come with the December update, since November is mostly about adjusting the base game mechanics and fixes so people start having fun/more fun. December is all about content, so i'm sure there will be alot more than whats been shown so far (famitsu and lodestone).

On the monsters themselves, I cant wait to see how these things animate. One thing I really like about XIV is the fact that they seem to have taken a page from Monster Hunter, making sure the monsters have detailed minor and major animations.

Also glad to see classic FF monsters like flan returning early on.

Londa

Banned
nvsawh.jpg

So cool love how the new graphics made them really look all jelloish. :D

euqygx.jpg

Perfect, just perfect. I love goblins so I'm happy to see them back.

2w69mib.jpg

sfylw2.jpg

I can't see how these would be retainers. Looks more like hotel or flight attendants.

Miquote looks so cute :D

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:

But...

Actually now that I think about it, someone at XIV core I believe, brought up the idea that maybe SP is still attack dependent for soloing, yet switches to a set mode for party battles, going off the fact the accuracy = more SP comment is still there.

Of course it could just be a screw up like the last few ninja edits on the lodestone.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eh, I dunno that would make things overly complicated and inconsistent. I'm just chalking it up to a communication error right now.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
Eh, I dunno that would make things overly complicated and inconsistent. I'm just chalking it up to a communication error right now.

Kandinsky said:
Fucking SE so lazy:lol

Personally thats what i'm leaning toward. If they messed up on the first set of patch preview notes, and again on the new rescheduled update date...seems like the most likely scenario.

Anyway, looking forward to some party battles and more after turkey tomorrow :D

Caj814

Kandinsky said:
Oh they fixed their shitty clien update thing?, dloading super fast omg

Edit: nvm stopped@98,6%:lol

:lol :lol :lol

Anyways I played during the beta with a lot of people here as Charlemagne and I'm still at the "wait and see" outlook right now. I really hope most things are fixed up by mid next year.

kiryogi

Banned
Woo I'm not gone yet. Still on crazy hiatus due to IRL. But damn the recent patching sounds hot. I also finally got my right of passage in the mail :lol Oh man....

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Sorry to ask, i'm at work now and cant check.

Is the patch up? I can host it.

The scheduled maintenance period is 1pm to 5pm PST. I'm guessing the patch will be made available sometime during that period.

pancakesandsex said:
OMG YOU'RE FINALLY PLAYING.

I guess he got tired of trolling and decided to actually try the game. :lol

Yeah, the pre-patch game is pretty bad. I'm hoping the patch will get some of the 117 out of 122 people in the old SoD LS who have quit to come back. :(

Gromph

Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:
The scheduled maintenance period is 1pm to 5pm PST. I'm guessing the patch will be made available sometime during that period.

My bad!!!!

Kandinsky said:
Oh they fixed their shitty clien update thing?, dloading super fast omg

Edit: nvm stopped@98,6%

I think it was up due his post!

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
So would the best way to improve the search system be, to just combine the XI and XIV systems together, or just completely overhaul the search system?

No matter what they do, not being able to join parties while they are in combat just seems like a bad idea.

Since the current system is already in place, I'd say just add the FFXI system to it. Really, I just want to be able to put my flag up and/or search for people with a flag up. It doesn't make sense to me that people who want to party have to search for a leader who has started one.

I do want to be able to lfp as one class, while playing another. As in... lfp as CON while crafting on Weaver. Which is something the new system allows for. Although, not sure why I can check for any leaders looking for DoL or DoH classes... >_>

Jinko said:
It works fine, if you have spent more than 5 minutes looking at it, it actually works better than FF11's system, all they need to add is a LFP icon/flag and a /sea command.

The biggest reason that the party search function doesn't work is, because people don't use it and its too confusing for most people to figure out.

Add to the fact that up until now there has been little point in getting into a party due to the crappy sp system, once people start to have a need to use the party search then it will become more common place.

Which would basically add FFXI's system to this one... :lol

The current party search is functional, just backwards. Even if more people were online to make use of the system and everyone used it, it would still be backwards.

Say I want to start a party. I can't just find 5-10 people, ask if they want to party and head to the xp area. I have to essentially create a live search and hope someone who wants to party checks to see if there's a party available. I have to wait until 5-10 people do this, then make their way to the xp area.

In XI, if I wanted to start a party, all I do is look at who's lfp, then invite the 5 people I want. There's no wait involved and it doesn't require 5+ people to check if there's an active search. All that's required is at least 5 people have flags up, which requires minimal effort on their part.

Azrael

I haven't played in over a month, but I'll be on tonight or tomorrow after the update goes live. Will I need a new link pearl?

Jinko

DrDogg said:
In XI, if I wanted to start a party, all I do is look at who's lfp, then invite the 5 people I want. There's no wait involved and it doesn't require 5+ people to check if there's an active search. All that's required is at least 5 people have flags up, which requires minimal effort on their part.

It's not quite that simple, you have to still be in the same area to invite them, in 14 you can join a group from anywhere in the world, aslong as a group appears on the list.

(I used to wait hours sometimes looking for a party in 11, so lets not pretend it was perfect)

I agree it does need to be steamlined, it would work much better like a kind of lobby system, adding a LFP flag would help when waiting around Aetheryte aswell.

I'm sure these things will be ironed out eventually.

DrDogg

Azrael said:
I haven't played in over a month, but I'll be on tonight or tomorrow after the update goes live. Will I need a new link pearl?

Which pearl do you have? SoD was full, so we created a new LS. But if you only have SoD, most of us will be able to see anything you type in that LS, so we'll get you to a sack holder and get you the new pearl.

If you already have the new pearl, you're fine.

Jinko said:
It's not quite that simple, you have to still be in the same area to invite them, in 14 you can join a group from anywhere in the world, aslong as a group appears on the list.

(I used to wait hours sometimes looking for a party in 11, so lets not pretend it was perfect)

I agree it does need to be steamlined, it would work much better like a kind of lobby system, adding a LFP flag would help when waiting around Aetheryte aswell.

I'm sure these things will be ironed out eventually.

When referring to XP parties, a majority of the time you were in the same area, especially at later levels when everyone started parties in Jeuno or Whitegate.

I do like the fact that I can join a party from anywhere in the world, but I don't like the fact that the party can't be actively engaged in combat. I can't even leave the party if they're actively engaged.

And I agree that a lot of people had to wait hours. I was not one of those people though. Rarely did I wait more than 20-30 minutes for a full party to form. Partially because I played high-demand jobs and partially because I took initiative and started my own party (something a lot of people didn't do).

Jinko

Yea not being able to join and leave a party is annoying but probably there to stop kirin style fights from ever happening.

Even joining a party at Jeuno and Whitegate required a fair hike sometimes to get to an XP camp.

FF14's party system isn't that much different than a PSO lobby system, someone makes a party and others are suppose to join, most people are trying to solo (mainly because of the sp problem no doubt) and im sure a lot of people don't understand how it works either.

Of course the problem is that unless there is a good reason to make people use it they won't, which seems to be what is happening.

I would love to see this game have an auto party system like WoW's dungeon finder, it would cut so much bullshit out of making a party and let you get on with whats important.

kiryogi said:
Woo I'm not gone yet. Still on crazy hiatus due to IRL. But damn the recent patching sounds hot. I also finally got my right of passage in the mail :lol Oh man....

So when ARE you planning to come back? You and Kess and Chie all left one after another. :(

Gromph

Staff Member
Dreamwriter said:
One hour left before the great and wonderous Miracle Patch™ descends from the heavens to remake the world!

Where is the like button.. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
And the big patch notes are up.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=583c4fa193bb35b8e246f15e4fe3e9388613fc28

YES YES YES

The manner in which skill points are awarded through combat has been changed and now operates in the same manner as experience points.

Player inventory capacity has been increased from 80 to 100 slots.
sort feature has been added.
* Enabling the sort feature organizes an inventory by item type. Disabling it will list items in the order in which they entered the inventory.

Miracle Patch™ confirmed.

Gromph said:
Where is the like button.. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

There's a Like button on top of the SoD forum...

The problem with using the Like button on random pages is that you reveal who you are in real life if you aren't careful. So I don't. :lol

Gromph

Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:
There's a Like button on top of the SoD forum...

The problem with using the Like button on random pages is that you reveal who you are in real life if you aren't careful. So I don't. :lol

I mean that due fb... i dont like random pages :D

Teknoman

Guild marks can now be earned from lower-level local levequests.

:D

The amount of skill points required to attain ranks 11 through 31 has been reduced.
Excess skill points resulting from version update changes are retained and applied towards the next rank.
Ex.) A player at rank 17 with 13,000 skill points prior to the version update.
As the amount of skill points required to attain rank 18 has been lowered from 15,000 to 12,000, this player will immediately attain rank 18 the next time skill points are earned, and will also retain the surplus 1,000 skill points.

:D :D

New enemy types have been added.

256_9.jpg

Reponse time of the user interface (UI) has been improved.
Skill and experience bars have been added to the main screen.
Attributes & Gear has been split into two options on the main menu, Attributes and Gear.

Man theres so many fixes its crazy.

Canti

I was just booted after Dega and Kasumi, Limsa was empty D: I'd only been on 10 minutes too >: Time to read patch notes I guess.
Excess skill points resulting from version update changes are retained and applied towards the next rank.
Ex.) A player at rank 17 with 13,000 skill points prior to the version update.
As the amount of skill points required to attain rank 18 has been lowered from 15,000 to 12,000, this player will immediately attain rank 18 the next time skill points are earned, and will also retain the surplus 1,000 skill points.
So they won't retain the surplus points from previous ranks (just the most recent)? To be expected I guess, kind of a bummer for early-adopters though.

edit: I mean to say, if every rank has been reduced by 1k sp on average from rank 10-20, then it now takes 10k less than before to reach rank 20. Rather than that 10k being added to your total if you're already above 20, you're just awarded the surplus from your most recent rank :/

Wow, it says you keep your excess SP gained towards next rank after the SP adjustment!

So-called pointless leveling in advance of the patch redeemed!! :lol

Son of a bitch, "affinity adjustment for other classes" probably means other classes can't use the skills anymore?

Also, bullshit on buffing marauders even more, aren't they fucking OP enough yet?

Canti said:
I was just booted after Dega and Kasumi, Limsa was empty D: I'd only been on 10 minutes too >: Time to read patch notes I guess.

So they won't retain the surplus points from previous ranks (just the most recent)? To be expected I guess, kind of a bummer for early-adopters though.

edit: I mean to say, if every rank has been reduced by 1k sp on average from rank 10-20, then it now takes 10k less than before to reach rank 20. Rather than that 10k being added to your total if you're already above 20, you're just awarded the surplus from your most recent rank :/

My interpretation is that you keep all your excess SP. I guess we'll see when the servers spin up again.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
Son of a bitch, "affinity adjustment for other classes" probably means other classes can't use the skills anymore?

Also, bullshit on buffing marauders even more, aren't they fucking OP enough yet?

I think it just means how well you perform with other class skills. Especially with text like "Shock spikes stun varies based on affinity".

Canti

Looks like punishing barbs will be severely nerfed for people using it on jobs other than tharumage.

Code:
Prior to Version Update 	  	After Version Update
Normal Quality 	→ 	Normal Quality
High Quality +1 	→ 	Normal Quality
High Quality +2 	→ 	High Quality +3
High Quality +3 	→ 	High Quality +3
They mention this in regards to obtaining materials but does it apply to gear too? Will all my +1 jewellery become NQ after the update?

Jinko

OMG head explodes.

I only just got my sleep pattern back to normal don't make me wake up early for this ... damn it SE

You'd think, guess everyone and their granny will be a MRD soon enough.

Feint
TP cost increased from 250 to 500.

Lancer is no go !! LMAO SE.. I guess we all saw it coming !

Smallclothes which suffered wear prior to the version update have been restored to pristine condition, and all unsightly stains removed

LMAO

Gromph

Staff Member
Jinko said:
OMG head explodes.

I only just got my sleep pattern back to normal don't make me wake up early for this ... damn it SE

I dont wanna go work tomorrow :/ Waiting for patch to be up to host it.

Canti

Teknoman said:
Unless, you spend guild marks on increasing Thaumaturge action affinity.
Touché!

I noticed arrows stack to 999, will please Kawaii :lol

All the crafting changes sound great, should make things much easier. Hope silver rings now take 12 shards instead of 16 XD

edit: Stats reduced on ornamental iron hammer nooooooo.

Teknoman

Londa said:
What? I don't even...

What type of animal are these suppose to be?

Remember these guys?

snap_20055102.jpg

They evolved. Think of em as a tarantula fused with a scorpion. I'm really liking that they actually have decent model variation too, instead of just different names. They are actually called Diremites in game according to the latest Famitsu translation.

Gromph

Staff Member
Unknown Soldier said:
Stack capacity for arrows increased to 999!!!!!!!!!!

I'm almost but not really sorry about some of the bad things I said about Squenix! :lol

All we need to regret some bad words at the end :D

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
Stack capacity for arrows increased to 999!!!!!!!!!!

I'm almost but not really sorry about some of the bad things I said about Squenix! :lol

Thats awesome for archers, add that with les HQ items and its pretty awesome :D

The following ashkin (undead) no longer drop equipment:
Rotting Corpses, Fallen Soldiers, Fallen Pikemen, Fallen Captains, Fallen Mages, Fallen Wizards, Skeleton Soldiers, Wight Warriors, Wendigo

No moar eye patches for you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom