• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emenis said:
yay! Are they hard to get? :S

You gotta kill bombs to get bomb ash. They are easy to get if you kill the bomb before it explodes. If you let the bomb explode before you kill it, well, I guess then it depends on your level and the bomb's.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Oh shit, i duno if its cause im the only one on the damn server but the ui is much faster :D

Synth has less screen :D

Cmagus

Haven't played this or even thought about it in weeks now way to frustrated last time.Grabbing the update now i hope they fixed stuff cause I am willing to come back for a week try it out but if its just still not working then that's it for me

Teknoman

They fixed stuff, but theres still lots of stuff to be added in December. So if some of your complaints were gameplay based, then yeah. Content based, you better wait.

Also I guess the drawing options in the config were made to replace that buffer option, so probably best to leave them at whatever they are currently set to.

Atrus

Gold Member
"World population and nearby player counts are no longer displayed."

Did they take this out of the game altogether? If so, then I'm not sure if knowing for a fact that there's no people playing as opposed to seeing that there's no people is going to help much.

Figaro is supposedly the third most (actually looks like it was fourth most now) populated if those Japanese charts are anything to go by and yesterday NA max was probably ~650.

Would be a shameless change if totally removed.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Menus are a LOT smoother, and I got a sweet 2000 SP bonus when I leveled my Glad. Awesome! The map loads faster too, and the icon moves more smoothly on it.

Ravidrath

So how's the new SP stuff?

The writing in the update is vague... it says it will be earned like Exp. is, but also references "bonus SP."

Is there a base set amount w/ bonus on top of it now, or what?

Kandinsky said:
HOW ABOUT MOB PLACEMENT?!?!, is the difference evident and not some bs stuff like the pic they posted?:lol

There are definitely more mobs around, more noticeable in some places than others. I wouldn't call it a huge difference though. Just a difference.

Atrus

Gold Member
RurouniZel said:
Menus are a LOT smoother, and I got a sweet 2000 SP bonus when I leveled my Glad. Awesome! The map loads faster too, and the icon moves more smoothly on it.

They did it in a fairly retarded manner with the SP. Instead of realigning total sp they go and realign just a single level. This shows either incompetence or lack of care, of which I'd go with the latter.

You just need to sum up all base XP per level to the current level, save to a variable, and then add to existing change.

Cmagus

menus are certainly smoother nice to see also that archers can fill their quiver with 999 arrows instead of 99 at a time.Also anyone know the location of some of the new monsters

JudgeN

Fucking nice casting lag is gone, once the casting time bar is done, you cast. CON can finally be the black mages they always wanted to be :D

Pretty much all battle lag is gone now too:D

Effect

Menus seem more responsive and the auto sort finally is nice. Changing equipment is a lot easier now with the mouse pointer. Still need to reconfigure keys though. Maybe I'm mistaken but it looks like you can remap more keys. I need to take another look to see if I can unmap certain keys so I can bring up menus with just a single key stroke like other MMOs.

Downloading now! It seems like it's been forever since I last actually played this. :lol Can't wait to experience the magic of Miracle Patch Number One!

Ravidrath

Does the auto-sort sort items by type, or what?

i.e. Are weapons and gear at the top, etc.?

Sorta irked this landed on Thanksgiving, since I won't be able to get back to play it until next week!

Ravidrath

skitzophrenicdontpanic said:
Weapons, Armor, and then other items are kind of sorted together by relevance (food, cloth, grass)

Cool - should make equipping stuff much, much easier since you won't have to scroll through your entire inventory for every single item.

Londa

Banned
loving all the changes. However I can't figure out how to tab over to different tabs in the inventory screen with my controller.

Husker86

Atrus said:
They did it in a fairly retarded manner with the SP. Instead of realigning total sp they go and realign just a single level. This shows either incompetence or lack of care, of which I'd go with the latter.

You just need to sum up all base XP per level to the current level, save to a variable, and then add to existing change.
When they adjusted TNL in XI they just changed the next level amount on whatever level you were on, you got no bonus based on total xp earned.

I doubt it's something they couldn't do easily, they just didn't want people logging on several levels higher is my guess.

Yeah, I think it would have been stupid to just suddenly jump everyone up a few levels, they did it the best way.

On another note,

"The "Word to Our Players" message that appears upon game start-up now requires players to answer Yes or No before entering the game."

Does Square *WANT* the game to be damn annoying???

Ravidrath said:
Cool - should make equipping stuff much, much easier since you won't have to scroll through your entire inventory for every single item.

It's even better than that since when you go to equip something, it will only show you items you can equip for that slot.

I do wish they would fix their updater. I can torrent their file from their server in 10 minutes, or I can use their installer, which takes a half hour. Unfortunately, I'm getting some sort of install error with either my torrented file or Gomph's download, so I have to do it the slow way.

zlatko

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
I do wish they would fix their updater. I can torrent their file from their server in 10 minutes, or I can use their installer, which takes a half hour. Unfortunately, I'm getting some sort of install error with either my torrented file or Gomph's download, so I have to do it the slow way.

Not to bring up another WoW debate in this thread again, but yesterday I had to install/patch up all of WoW through it's patcher from scratch after installing. It took about an hour for 12GBs. The patcher also allows you to play the game after a certain amount is done WHILE it's still patching in the other GBs worth of data. I was god damn BLOWN AWAY especially after how fuck awful FFXIV's is.

Teknoman

Alright, everyone is going to have to do some serious experimentation to figure out the new SP system. Its nice to have a steady rate of SP no matter what you fight, however...it seems like enemy difficulty doesnt factor into how much SP you get. We fought some Doblyns in Copperbell mines, all with different difficulties in a 7 man group, yet kept getting 95 SP for each kill. We cut through them pretty fast, so it was decent gain, but didnt make sense.

Then after that, HG, Dr.dogg and I decided to try and fight a few with just 3 people. We beat up an Antling, which gave me 152 SP, but HG and Dogg 106 or so. I'm rank 18, HG is 22, and Dogg 21.

Other than not knowing where we should go to exp, and what determines the amount for sure, constant SP, shield SP being the same as main, and the other updates are nice.

Everytime I try installing the update, it gets just about done and then errors out with Error 20524. Any ideas? I know that error used to pop up when trying to patch over the hacked hardware-mouse exe, but I never did that.

Teknoman

Everyone at other forums are guessing that this lower SP in parties than solo is some sort of bug and that we should be expecting an emergency maintenance soon...and that does make sense.

If S-E was so adamant about fixing and encouraging party battles, why make party SP lower than solo SP?

People are also posting that battle regimens seem to work 100% of the time now.

Daaang - used to be Coblyns were the worst things for SP in Leves, now they are one of the best things! I took my barely Rank 16 THM to solo "Culling All Coblyns", with Guardian's Favor, 4 stars - I got 453 SP per Coblyn, halfway to Rank 17 after that one Leve!

(I fixed my install problem by reinstalling FFXIV from scratch - patching the entire thing actually didn't take long at all)

Atrus

Gold Member
Finished today's session:

- Battle lag and most lag is pretty much gone making everything faster and it takes only a few seconds to switch to a full set of gear by clicking.
- No EXP/SP because your party leader is in another area is still there
- Your party can now tp back after a leve
- SP is based on mob level and is fixed so Black Efts go from giving 500sp each to just 150sp. But the surrounding Lemurs give 75sp per and take like 30 seconds to kill. For now it seems like leveling has actually decreased in effectiveness in a party since you can only engage a single mob at a time.
- Leve-quest mobs however show that if you could claim multiple mobs, SP would increase significantly and possibly be better than before.
- You get SP even if you didn't participate in battle, just stand close enough. This means you can follow and be power-leveled by a much higher leveled player.
- You get 1 SP for killing the weakest mobs like Star Marmot.
- Basic Dire Mite can be found in Nanawa Mines but more can be found around Broken Water to the SW.
- Local leves now have a potential to give marks for all levels and the shard rewards went from 6-7 shards to 30+ shards.
- Almost forgot... download client is still shit so either download or torrent the games update.

Teknoman

Btw everyone, make sure general drawing is set to standard and background set to highest (if possible). Some people were getting slowdown or looked like they were running in slomo because they messed with those settings.

Atrus

Gold Member
Husker86 said:
When they adjusted TNL in XI they just changed the next level amount on whatever level you were on, you got no bonus based on total xp earned.

I doubt it's something they couldn't do easily, they just didn't want people logging on several levels higher is my guess.

Yes, but as those Ally commercials point out. It's wrong to treat your new customers better than your existing ones, but with this being SE, they're pretty shitty when it comes to things like that.

Teknoman said:
Btw everyone, make sure general drawing is set to standard and background set to highest (if possible). Some people were getting slowdown or looked like they were running in slomo because they messed with those settings.
Depends on your system and the other settings. I can run at a good framerate with General at 9 and Anti-aliasing at max, or a slightly worse framerate with General at max and anti aliasing at 2x, or perfectly smooth as butter at General default (8) and anti-aliasing at max. General at Max and Anti-aliasing at Max gives me a slide show :)

Teknoman

Whats odd is that for me, it didnt seem like framerate issues. My character just looked like he was running in slo-mo while everything else ran similar to before the patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom