• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been trying to think this through, so let me know if there's a problem with this way of awarding SP -

Each mob has a set amount of SP that they can award to a player of the same rank.

Solo play: SP is awarded to the player multiplied by a bonus if the mob was higher level than the player or a penalty if the mob was lower level than the player.

Party play:
Game takes only the rank of the highest ranking party member into consideration in its calculations.

SP awarded to each party member = (SP awarded to highest rank party member as if he were playing solo) * (some kind of party bonus) / (total number of party members)

Everyone always gets the same amount of SP everytime, no matter the rank difference. Harder mobs always yield higher SP. Freedom to invite whomever you want without fear of any bonus calculation penalty, with the caveat that if you invite weaker players, you're only hurting the overall effectiveness of the party. Freedom to fight as hard or as weak mobs as you want to cater to the party's tastes and objectives. No room for powerleveling low rank characters as it exists currently*

* You can take a rank 50 player, party with a rank 1 char, and have the rank 50 kill rank30 mobs easily for 0SP while the rank 1 gets hundreds of SP for just being in the party. Not even sure why they allowed this to be possible.

Teknoman

During the times listed below, we will be performing a version update on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

* The FINAL FANTASY XIV client software will be updated automatically the first time you start it after the update.

[Date & Time]
Nov. 30, 2010 at approximately 15:00 (PST)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- The issue where bonus payments were not awarded for completion of regional guildleves issued in other city-states, even when the leves were exchanged, has been addressed.

- The issue where players were unable to complete local levequests when the synthesis of teak lumber or teak planks was assigned as the leve objective has been addressed.

- The issue where players with more than 100 items in their inventory received an error message when attempting to trade an item with a retainer has been addressed.

- The issue where the client sometimes crashed when the player joined a party has been addressed.

- The issue where action icons were sometimes grayed out and the actions were unusable has been addressed.

- The issue where HP was recovered when trading an item when the Marauder's Foresight ability was in effect has been addressed.

- The issue where talking to a certain NPC in the Culinarian class quest Showdown would cause the character to become uncontrollable has been addressed.

- The issue where the system command Door was not displayed in the Copperbell Mines has been addressed.

- The below issues, which occurred when the keyboard settings for gamepad use were turned on, have been addressed.
* Unable to chat during synthesis.
* Unable to input capital letters by hitting the shift key and the letter.

- The target will no longer change automatically when the player is still engaged with a monster.
This is a temporary measure for handling an issue that occurs when the target changes automatically. When the issue is addressed, the functionality will be updated.

At least they are going back and looking at targeting again. Probably wont see an adjustment or comment on SP until December.

Atrus

Gold Member
Dreamwriter said:
...because our party is fighting other mobs maybe? If we are being attacked by 4 creatures, then it is very beneficial to lower those 4 creatures' attack power and defense, make their stamina bar fill slowly, and maybe use a gravity so I can kite them around until our damage dealers can take the hate away from me. Since 90% of what we do are high-star Leves, we are almost always being attacked by multiple creatures at once.

No, not really. Leves typically still have you fight 2 creatures at once unless you aggro another pair, and when this happens only 1 set will actually be claimable. A few leves will have 3 mobs at the end, typically Hippocerfs, Cactuars and the Black Sheep.

Rank 40 leves is the point where you'll start to see more than 2 at a time fairly commonly. Frankly, I think you're over-complicating what the leves are like. While they do require a bit more planning in some instances, it's juvenile stuff and not representative of the level of seriousness you're giving it.

Keep in mind we are doing Leves as high rank as the game allows - meaning at rank 13 we picked up rank 20 leves, 23 rank 30 leves. Even at rank 21, some of those rank 20 leves at 4 star are quite a challenge, let alone 5 star.

You know, I don't think anybody from Squenix actually reads GAF in general or this thread in particular, but:

Fuck you, Squenix. :lol

wow1.png

Currently on sale for $5 at Battle.net as digital download only. At that price it was hard to resist just to shove my thumb in Squenix's eye. :lol

Unfortunately, it seems that the subscription automatically activated and initiated at the moment of purchase. My plan was to wait until December 7th to actually activate the account but I guess I can go stand around somewhere idle this weekend since my laptop can certainly run WoW and see if I can get myself fried to a crisp by Deathwing for my first WoW achievement while I play FFXIV on my desktop. :lol

zlatko

Banned
Unknown did you buy the other 2 expansions as well? I'm pretty sure the Cata expansion content will not work unless you have already bought the other two expansions as well.

Also, when you buy the game fresh you are auto given 10 free days, so you're on a free trial right now.

I did the same thing when I saw the sale on the game. No reason NOT to go back/try for the first time WoW right now especially since FFXIV bombed so hard. When/if FFXIV is a game, then I'll gladly come back to it, but until then it'll not be getting play time. Hell it hasn't after the first 2-3weeks after I bought it anyway.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
Even if I found nuking to be fun, your MP pool doesn't last long enoughand the damage from nukes isn't worth it.

What ..!! I get 200-300 damage a hit from my elemental spells at rank 21, how much damage do you expect ?... oh and I rarely run out of mana.

The only other class I have any interest in playing is GLA, but since I don't want to waste hours re-specing, that's not an option.

Well If you wana cut your nose off to spite your face because you can't be bothered then thats your fault :)

It's one hour to respec and you can still play GLA successfully whilst waiting to respec fully.

@ Kawaii, nice job XD, as zlatko says you won't beable to experience the cata area's above level 60 (don't think you can level past 60 either), but most of the other stuff should be available.

Current Known Issue (Dec. 1)
We would like to notify you of a current major issue as of Dec. 1, 2010.

[Current Issue]
- The help text for the Conjurer's Fast Cast action indicates that the effect is +10%.
* The effect is actually +20%.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

LOL, that is all !

Teknoman

Notorious Monsters - First Blood

285_0.png

Deep within the shadows of the Black Shroud lurks a wolf so fearsome, so terrifying, so unnatural, that local villagers have little choice but to cower in their homes, lest they become his next victim. Legends call the beast Deadeyes, and he is unlike any creature the forest has ever seen. As alpha male, he exhibits the cunning and composure of an army general while leading his pack of slavering minions through the region, showing mo mercy to those unfortunate enough to fall in their path. There has been many a proud hunter boast he will be the one to finally capture Deadeyes, but as of yet, none have survived to fulfill that claim...

Operation: Wolfsbane
Recently, there have been numerous reports of a pack of bloodthirsty wolves attacking farmsteads deep within in the Black Shroud. According to eyewitness accounts, the pack is led by a ferocious alpha male with glowing red eyes, and the attacks have been conducted with a military-like precision unlike anything ever seen in the wild. The Brotherhood of the Broken Blade is calling upon its loyal brothers and sisters to join in the patrolling of frequently attacked areas, not only in order to protect the lives of those living there, but also to determine once and for all who is truly behind these assaults.

Levequest Location
Treespeak

Those who are successful in slaying Deadeyes will be rewarded with a special item known as an Allagan runestone. There are a dozen in all, each representing one of the twelve deities who watch over the peoples of Eorzea. Rumor has that in Ul'dah resides a young trader who seeks these rare stones and is offering pieces of finely crafted equipment in exchange.

The following is an example of some of the items available for barter:

Harlequin Attire
Crafted for use by jongleurs, magicians, and other performing artists, this lightweight armor provides protection while still allowing the wearer freedom of movement. An extra layer of arcane wards woven into the cloth not only gives a boost to defense against maleficent enchantments, but also improves versatility with magic.

285_2.jpg

Favors: Discipline of Magic
Optimal Rank: 50 Runestone Required

* Harlequin's Cap
o Defense 42
o Magic Defense 89
o Evasion 16
o Resilience 64
o MND: +4
o PIE: +4
o Elemental Resistances: +31

Allagan Runestone - Nophica

* Harlequin's Acton
o Defense 116
o Magic Defense 90
o Evasion 33
o Resilience 63
o HP: +54
o MP: +54
o Elemental Resistances: +34

Allagan Runestone - Nald'thal

* Harlequin's Tights
o Defense 66
o Magic Defense 52
o Evasion 33
o Resilience 63
o INT: +2
o MND: +2
o Craftsmanship: +12
o Elemental Resistances: +36

Allagan Runestone - Nymeia

* Harlequin's Belt
o Defense 18
o Magic Defense 16
o Evasion 8
o Resilience 17
o Elemental Resistances: +7

Allagan Runestone - Oschon

*The aforementioned items are still under development and may change before the time of their release.

More exciting information on notorious monsters is will be made available in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

288.jpg

The November Version Update
Q.

Was the movement speed of PCs slowed down in the version update? My Lalafell seems more sluggish and slothful, a mere shadow of his former, sprightly self.
A.

The movement speed of PCs has not been adjusted in the slightest. What has changed, however, is the angle of the game camera. Though this minor alteration may give the false perception of slower movement, we assure players that this is not the case.

Q.

The response time of the user interface (UI) has certainly improved as a result of the version update, but my gaming gut tells me that the retainer interface screen has become heavier. Am I right or am I right?
A.

You are right. This issue will be addressed in the Decemeber version update. Changes are currently being made to the programming underlying this portion of the UI that will considerably improve response times.

Q.

I can no longer navigate through the tabs on the Attributes, Inventory, and retainer interface screens using the D-pad on my controller. What gives?
A.

Prior to the November version update, selecting tabs with a controller was accomplished by moving the cursor to the desired tab using the D-pad and then pressing the Select/Confirm button. This method was removed, however, and now any of the following methods may be used in its place to navigate tabs:
Keyboard: Tab, Shift+Tab
Gamepad: Open Macros (Ctrl), Open Macros (Alt)
* Gamepad settings can be accessed via the FINAL FANTASY XIV Config program.
Mouse: Mouse-over and left-click

I'm not surprised that a lot of players are still pretty harsh on it but I have no doubt the game will be great in the future. Unfortunately I can't keep giving a crap about the game in its infant state...if I had other options during FFXI's first year in Japan I would have been checking out other MMOs as well. Giving WoW a shot for $5 is definitely worth it, I've been playing and I'm really enjoying it but I don't see it as having the lasting appeal that FFXI had for me, or FFXIV has the potential to have for me.

It's sad that so many devs seem to think they can launch broken MMOs and fix them later. Not to mention that most of them don't have the backing of a company like Square Enix to sustain the product until it can find itself on stable ground. SE won't let this fail so I have no doubt it'll be going strong at some point in 2011, but for now there's really no point in suffering through the growing pains when WoW and FFXI are currently more polished and accessable. I'm curious to see exactly when SE deems the game good enough to reinstate the subscription charges.

Jinko

As I suspected Gold leves would be NM's.

Interesting gear too bad its not more colourful though.

What with the gear being rank 50, I assume that this is a rank 40-50 leve, hope they have some lower rank leves planned.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DrDogg said:
If I'm forced to play CON/THM like BLM, then I'll end up quitting the game. The only other class I have any interest in playing is GLA, but since I don't want to waste hours re-specing, that's not an option.
Actually, it is an option. I go back an forth between Marauder and Conjurer with only one "reassign", and sometimes, without even bothering.

Your physical level is so high that you have ample stats to throw around. Even with only one "reassign", you'll be hitting the soft cap for STR and DEX anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ask the Devs said:
The movement speed of PCs has not been adjusted in the slightest. What has changed, however, is the angle of the game camera. Though this minor alteration may give the false perception of slower movement, we assure players that this is not the case.
Bullshit.

Characters are slower. On the Horizon leve "Sweet Vengeance", I was always easily able to outrun the Nightblade Assassin when he started to flee, and attack him multiple times on his marathon across the damn zone.

Now, I can just barely keep up.

Salaadin

When I messed around with the 2 new graphics settings outside the game, I felt like I was running slower. Once I adjusted them to whatever someone in SoD told me to, it seemed normal again.
I had the first new setting at standard and the second one at max.

Haint

Shouta said:
Current SP system sounds like what it was in FFXI without chains and just bad SP gain in general. I'm not sure how you mess up something you've already done once before.

And 13 times higher TNL's.

Rentahamster said:
Bullshit.

Characters are slower. On the Horizon leve "Sweet Vengeance", I was always easily able to outrun the Nightblade Assassin when he started to flee, and attack him multiple times on his marathon across the damn zone.

Now, I can just barely keep up.

Would not surprise me in the least if they were trying to deflect complaints with bold face lies.

Effect

zlatko said:
Unknown did you buy the other 2 expansions as well? I'm pretty sure the Cata expansion content will not work unless you have already bought the other two expansions as well.

Also, when you buy the game fresh you are auto given 10 free days, so you're on a free trial right now.

I did the same thing when I saw the sale on the game. No reason NOT to go back/try for the first time WoW right now especially since FFXIV bombed so hard. When/if FFXIV is a game, then I'll gladly come back to it, but until then it'll not be getting play time. Hell it hasn't after the first 2-3weeks after I bought it anyway.
The new content works even if you just have the basic game. You end up downloading everything when you patch anyway, or well stream it down when you are in the right areas. All the revamped areas are currently active as well as their content. Just that you won't be able to go into any Cata or other expansion based zones (new starting areas and higher level areas).

Teknoman

Salaadin said:
When I messed around with the 2 new graphics settings outside the game, I felt like I was running slower. Once I adjusted them to whatever someone in SoD told me to, it seemed normal again.
I had the first new setting at standard and the second one at max.

Yeah I messed with them right after the patch, and then told the LS that you should probably leave them set at standard for general and highest for background (if you've got a fairly decent PC). Before I had them both set at highest, and it felt like I was running in glue (framerate didnt drop, just my running/movement speed).

Jinko said:
As I suspected Gold leves would be NM's.

Interesting gear too bad its not more colourful though.

What with the gear being rank 50, I assume that this is a rank 40-50 leve, hope they have some lower rank leves planned.

Yeah, I like the majority of the armor and weapon designs so far, but i'm not sure why most armors and weapons are lacking in color. Really should look towards older console FFs and adopt some of those color representations for different strength weapons, even without elements.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
What ..!! I get 200-300 damage a hit from my elemental spells at rank 21, how much damage do you expect ?... oh and I rarely run out of mana.

It depends on the rank of the mob, and I wasn't referring to soloing at all (not sure if you are). When I solo, I get good damage and the resist rate post-patch is acceptable.

When I'm in a party fighting mobs several ranks higher, the damage is rarely 200-300 and I have capped PIE and INT, using elemental spells that should have the highest damage (Thunder on crabs).

In this situation, my spells are resisted at least 40% of the time, and when they aren't resisted I'm only hitting for ~150 at best.

Jinko said:
Well If you wana cut your nose off to spite your face because you can't be bothered then thats your fault :)

It's one hour to respec and you can still play GLA successfully whilst waiting to respec fully.
Rentahamster said:
Actually, it is an option. I go back an forth between Marauder and Conjurer with only one "reassign", and sometimes, without even bothering.

Your physical level is so high that you have ample stats to throw around. Even with only one "reassign", you'll be hitting the soft cap for STR and DEX anyway.

If I'm just soloing I can play GLA without a respec. However, if I'm going to party and be a proper tank for my party, I want capped VIT at the very least. I don't want to half-ass my job, it's not how I play.

I will get GLA up to about 15 or so and then see how my VIT stat looks and where my accuracy is at. My physical level is 39 at the moment, and will probably be at least 40 or 41 by the time I get GLA to 15, so we'll see how it goes without a respec.

Dreamwriter said:
You're right, I wasn't thinking. If all you ever want to do is be a cure spammer and nothing else, then you don't ever have to think. Which is probably why Square setup CON to be more than just Cure's :p

What does this have to do with your CON casting Cure multiple times?

I think I made it pretty clear I want more out of CON, I just don't want a BLM. WHM in FFXI did far more than just cast Cure. I don't think it's asking too much to expect the same from CON in FFXIV.

Dreamwriter said:
I'm pretty sure higher rank debuffs do generate more enmity. I also think that creatures that are a lot higher level than you "have more hate to give", though that could be just superstition.

Obviously they generate more enmity, but it's all proportionate to the higher level abilities of your other party members. There's no reason you should be pulling hate... period.

Dreamwriter said:
...because our party is fighting other mobs maybe? If we are being attacked by 4 creatures, then it is very beneficial to lower those 4 creatures' attack power and defense, make their stamina bar fill slowly, and maybe use a gravity so I can kite them around until our damage dealers can take the hate away from me. Since 90% of what we do are high-star Leves, we are almost always being attacked by multiple creatures at once.

First off, I wasn't even referring to leves. But even still, you shouldn't be attacking more than one mob at a time. In all honesty, if you're getting hit, it's your fault and the fault of your party.

I can see wanting to cast Bio, Dia, Slow and Gravity on mobs your party may have aggro'd. However, your tanks/DDs should be voking the mobs so that you aren't getting hate from one or two spells. And in this case, only the CON should be pulling hate from excessive Cure spells due to the additional mobs. The hate shouldn't fall on you for casting a few debuffs.

Teknoman said:
There is strategy in the game, just that people arent really taking advantage of it...or havent had the need to.

There's strategy to playing CON and THM, it's just not enough. To give a very rough comparison, I had to think about 10 things at once while playing WHM in FFXI, but playing CON in FFXIV I have to think about maybe 3 things... on a good day.

I played PLD in FFXI and I highly doubt GLA will be as demanding, but I play to play GLA differently than most so we'll see.

When you make these comparisons, please remember to make them when the jobs were first introduced and same ranks or where they would be.

Cmagus

Sp gains are huge leveled up some second classes to get attacks and stuff but I really think its too little too late its just so damn boring to continue playing this Im having a hard time going more than 20 minutes without being bored of out my mind still.

Like I dunno I have zero interest in crafting and honestly I see no need to anything I want its for sale and the amount of money from crystals is more than enough to buy almost anything.Server is pretty dead as well nothing exciting going on.Fun while it lasted I guess but I am going to bail on this game shouldn't have to feel like a chore or like I am forcing myself to try and enjoy it.Once this game becomes pay I really find it too hard to see this game surviving till march.

DrDogg

demosthenes said:
When you make these comparisons, please remember to make them when the jobs were first introduced and same ranks or where they would be.

As a WHM in the Dunes I had more to worry about than my 23 CON or 16 THM. :lol

Jinko

DrDogg said:
As a WHM in the Dunes I had more to worry about than my 23 CON or 16 THM. :lol

That only because WHM and BLM were so phyically weak, one or 2 hits and you were dead, which is not the case in FF14.

Most of the stress from Valkrum was due to noob tanks not being able to keep hate, or noob healers thinking they could spam cure 2 and curaga.

I really wouldn't expect Con to change sigificantly, so you should either drop it and play something else or ... well quit.

I can't ever see this game having the same role specific gameplay that 11 had, I guess we will have to see how NM fights turn out.

Jinko said:
I really wouldn't expect Con to change sigificantly, so you should either drop it and play something else or ... well quit.

If what Doctor Dogg wants is another game exactly like FFXI, he might as well quit now. Squenix has been absolutely adamant that FFXIV will not be like FFXI, same races be damned. Even though FFXIV is currently going through multiple phases of being a piece of shit, they won't take the easy way out and turn it into FFXI-2, they are going to fight through the shit phases and hope that there will be somebody left still playing it when all is said and done. I'm staying with FFXIV (and maybe playing a little WoW on the side, ultra-casual :lol) with the expectation that at the end of the tidal wave of shit there will be a game worth staying with for years to come on the other side. But I accept that this is the way a lot of things are with some basic mechanics, such as the class design and Armory system, and I don't expect that to entirely vanish and be replaced by FFXI.

Also, FFXIV's Prelude theme is about a million times better than FFXI's Prelude theme. Thank you, Uematsu! :lol

I can't ever see this game having the same role specific gameplay that 11 had, I guess we will have to see how NM fights turn out.

I agree absolutely 100% here. Squenix came up with the Armory system where anybody can use most skills from any class, as any class, specifically to get around the problem in FFXI where you had to have this exact build on this exact job and subjob combination to get in a party, unless you were a Bard. This game is built entirely on the concept of anybody can (to some extent) do anything. Can you heal the whole party as a Gladiator? No, you can't, because spells only have the AoE option when you are a DoM class (currently only Conjurer and Thaumaturge). But can you at least Shell and Protect and Shock Spikes yourself, and Cure yourself as a Gladiator? You better believe that you damn well can, and that's what sets FFXIV clearly apart from FFXI. My Archer skill bars when I play my main job has skills from 5 different classes all at once, and that's exactly what Squenix had in mind when they designed this class and job system.

FFXIV is built entirely around this concept of customizing your character's build to exactly what you want to be and being able to switch out from one role to another at any time (with some limits, DoW classes will never be good mages unless they spend a lot of time on stat reallocation since you have to wait 45 minutes between each reallocation). This was intentional to prevent the problems in FFXI where some classes would spend hours LFG and other classes would be literally avalanched with tells inviting them to a party within 5 seconds of logging on. Everybody's a Conjurer in this game, everybody's a Marauder, everybody's a crafter and gatherer. It's just a matter of what you want to spend your time focusing on the most, but at any given moment you can switch from DPS to tank or from healing to nuking in just a few seconds, preventing the role and class lock-in that made FFXI such a terrible experience for any class other than, well, Bard.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Everybody's a Conjurer in this game, everybody's a Marauder
You and Jinko seem to have this notion that marauders are overpowered in this game when I keep telling you all the classes are more or less balanced in the role they are supposed to play.

You do realize that there are more rank 50 archers than marauders on our server, ya know.

http://www.ffxivpro.com/achievements/job :D

<3

Rentahamster said:
You and Jinko seem to have this notion that marauders are overpowered in this game when I keep telling you all the classes are more or less balanced in the role they are supposed to play.

You do realize that there are more rank 50 archers than marauders on our server, ya know.

http://www.ffxivpro.com/achievements/job :D

<3
Huh? He was saying that everybody is every class, he never said anything about marauders being overpowered...

Dreamwriter said:
Huh? He was saying that everybody is every class, he never said anything about marauders being overpowered...

I think now whenever Renta sees a post made by me where the word Marauder appears, he immediately goes into MDF (Marauder Defense Force) mode... :lol

<3 <3

In unrelated news:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/28209-all-worlds-emergency-maintenance-dec-3/

During the emergency maintenance, Final Fantasy XIV Beta Test will be unavailable. :lol

If Squenix keeps extending the free play, soon my $75 will have been made back in avoided subscription fees during the retail beta test, amirite? :lol

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
A version update on FINAL FANTASY XIV was performed at the following time.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 3, 2010 at 11:30 (GMT)

[Affected Service]
FINAL FANTASY XIV

[Important Update Details]
- An issue where the number of bone fish hooks created per synthesis was incorrect, has been addressed.
* Adjusted from 12 to 4.

OMG! They didn't fix Fast Cast

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Damn my PS3 dreams for this game are getting shattered

Was hoping to get to 99 platinums before March 2011 for FFXIV release, and make it my #100 platinum, looks like I won't be achieving that goal =/

Effect

Just to confirm the only way to get any new weapons and armor is to either craft it yourself or buy from another player right? No drops or generic weapons from npc merchants save for starter weapons? If you can't find anything in player shops and don't really have the patience or time for crafting yourself you are pretty much SOL?

Effect said:
Just to confirm the only way to get any new weapons and armor is to either craft it yourself or buy from another player right? No drops or generic weapons from npc merchants save for started weapons? If you can't find anything in player shops and don't really have the patience or time for crafting yourself you are pretty much SOL?

There are rewards from levequests, and some gear is purchasable from npcs.

Jinko

A the moment yes, a few items come from leves rewards, but most of it is player made.

With NM's I expect that to change though, SE are supposed to be adding a search function to the marketward in the december patch so it should be easier to buy gear. (hopefully they do it right, because YG are putting them to shame)

Effect

I hope they do make it better. I finally have the game running well and the interface is better however with no way to update gear in a reasonable way a new set of frustrations is setting in when I do log into the game to mess around since there is still free play time left.

Teknoman

299.jpg

The development and management teams continue to address the questions and concerns of the community in an ongoing FAQ. The topic addressed this time around is faction leves.

Faction Leves
Q.

What are faction leves?
A.

Faction leves are special types of guildleves that are obtained in exchange for a currency known as faction credits. Faction levequests are typically more difficult than their regional levequest counterparts, but offer greater rewards.
Q.

How do I earn faction credits?
A.

Faction credits are awarded upon successful completion of regional levequests. Players can learn which of the factions credits will be awarded by viewing a guildleve's details before accepting it.
Q.

What are the prerequisite conditions for undertaking a faction leve?
A.

A rank 20 faction leve, for example, can be purchased by a rank 10 player with at least 100 credits with any faction. Players should keep in mind, however, that faction leves are counted together with regional leves. This means that a player who has already ordered the maximum of 8 regional leves cannot obtain a faction leve until the next guildleve reset.
Q.

I thirst for more faction leves. They will be mine, or I will see this Eorzea turned to ash! What must I do?
A.

When ranks 10, 20, and 30 are attained, the number of faction leves recommended for ranks 20, 30, and 40 that are available to a player will increase, respectively. In addition, completion of these levequests serves to unlock still more faction leves.

November Version Update
Q.

My regional levequest ended all of a sudden while I was in transit. Why did this happen to me?
A.

In order to improve server load-balancing and alleviate lag, the November version update introduced a system that splits existing areas into several sub-areas. As a result, the effective "ranges" of regional guildleves have become smaller, and some players may be exiting a levequest's area without intending to do so. We apologize for any inconvenience this change has caused.

Ok so beating faction leves unlocks more faction leves...but they should've touched on what Faction Standing (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) means.

bardia said:
I'm on Melmond, didn't know anyone else from GAF was on here

Oh! What's your name? I'm Ayali Minmet :D

I'm looking for a new linkshell as well as mine is completely dead. I promise I'm not weird or anything-- just eager to make some new friends who actually play. Drop me a line sometime! (I'm bazaaring/AFK during the day-- I get home at 6pm EST on weekdays). I bazaar on the steps in Ul'dah west of repair NPC; main craft right now is ARM and I'm working on several subs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dreamwriter said:
I thought that statement was related to the one about FF11 where some classes were more actively sought after than others, but I guess that's not really the case, huh. Anyway, he wasn't making that point in that particular post, but they've made it numerous times before.

Unknown Soldier said:
I think now whenever Renta sees a post made by me where the word Marauder appears, he immediately goes into MDF (Marauder Defense Force) mode... :lol

<3 <3
Eheheheheh, hey a hamster's gotta do what a hamster's gotta do. :lol

Unknown Soldier said:
During the emergency maintenance, Final Fantasy XIV Beta Test will be unavailable. :lol

0ac3BhTdLyRycq08VfBI0dCMCcudvAgAHiaO0VxBao.png

Jinko said:
Well at least they are fixing the important stuff eh ?
There was an exploit where you could buy soiled femurs from the NPC, synth them into 12 fish hooks, and sell them back to the NPC for more than you bought them.

Jinko said:
LOL you are 10th on Lindblum. gratz :lol
Kinda pointless, however. Ain't shit to do!
There's pretty much no reason for me to attain a high rank other than to make farming high rank materials slightly easier.

There is no destination, and the journey is a pain in the ass.

Babalu.

Got a question.

I've been trying to find a Cotton Beret (Green) for my alchemist who I started leveling up lately. But I guess beret's are pretty rare since they require a very high level item (Apkallu Down). Since my highest level is a 20 archer, I can't really get it myself. And since it takes a lvl 30+ weaver to even make the beret's, I can't really do that either.

My question is this, the green cotton beret is pretty rare, but the green velveteen beret isn't. There are a few people selling them on lindblum. So what kind of cons would there be to just wearing the velveteen beret which is like 25 levels above me?

I know some stats are minus'd from the gear, but which. Since i'm using it to craft, I don't care if the defense, accuracy or those stats are penalized to nothing. But what about the stats at the bottom like craftsmanship +10. Do those stats take a hit too? I've heard somewhere that they don't.

beretst.jpg

And my whole outfit is green so thats why I need green and not some other color. I like to match and would pay whatever it takes since I dont use money for anything else it seems.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You will get a stat penalty on all stats (def, craft, control, etc). Wearing a cotton beret at rank 14 will give you more stats than wearing a velveteen beret at rank 14.

Also, durability goes down faster when you use gear that is too high rank for you.

You're not on Lindblum are you? If you were, I'd just give you an Apkallu Down.

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:
If what Doctor Dogg wants is another game exactly like FFXI, he might as well quit now. Squenix has been absolutely adamant that FFXIV will not be like FFXI, same races be damned. Even though FFXIV is currently going through multiple phases of being a piece of shit, they won't take the easy way out and turn it into FFXI-2, they are going to fight through the shit phases and hope that there will be somebody left still playing it when all is said and done. I'm staying with FFXIV (and maybe playing a little WoW on the side, ultra-casual :lol) with the expectation that at the end of the tidal wave of shit there will be a game worth staying with for years to come on the other side. But I accept that this is the way a lot of things are with some basic mechanics, such as the class design and Armory system, and I don't expect that to entirely vanish and be replaced by FFXI.

I don't recall saying I want FFXI-HD in any of my recent posts. I compare XIV to XI for obvious reasons.

All I want out of XIV is a good game. Right now, no matter what changes are made, unless the classes see significant changes, it won't matter. CON has almost NOTHING outside of Cures and the occasional buffs. Your only other option is to play CON like BLM and I don't want that. Those are ridiculously limited/boring options and if you think this game can be good with CON having such limited fair, you're clueless.

Unknown Soldier said:
I agree absolutely 100% here. Squenix came up with the Armory system where anybody can use most skills from any class, as any class, specifically to get around the problem in FFXI where you had to have this exact build on this exact job and subjob combination to get in a party, unless you were a Bard. This game is built entirely on the concept of anybody can (to some extent) do anything. Can you heal the whole party as a Gladiator? No, you can't, because spells only have the AoE option when you are a DoM class (currently only Conjurer and Thaumaturge). But can you at least Shell and Protect and Shock Spikes yourself, and Cure yourself as a Gladiator? You better believe that you damn well can, and that's what sets FFXIV clearly apart from FFXI. My Archer skill bars when I play my main job has skills from 5 different classes all at once, and that's exactly what Squenix had in mind when they designed this class and job system.

I'm really trying not to be offensive here, but that's just an ignorant statement. You think GLA can do anything significant that PLD couldn't? PLD can heal itself, cast Protect and Shell. It can't cast Shock Spikes, but in FFXI, that's not significant.

I've been playing GLA lately, and I fully plan to play it almost exactly like I play PLD in FFXI. I don't need to heal the whole party because I'm the tank. If I'm doing my job, no one else is getting hit.

Do you know why your Archer has skills from 5 different jobs? Because if you didn't do that your Archer would be gimp. That's why I don't like the Armory system (although if the classes improve the Armory system isn't bad enough to make me quit). In order to play pretty much ANY class "properly" you have to rank up other classes.

You want to be a good CON? Better have THM ranked. You're pretty much worthless as THM if you don't have CON ranked. Want to be a good GLA? You basically need to rank every other DoW class.

Endgame is going to take a huge elitist hit if the system stays as it is. People will not want you in their endgame LS if you don't have every necessary ability, which is going to equate to having several classes at 50. If you disagree, do you really think a 50 THM without CON ranked would be anywhere near as good as a 50 THM with a 50 CON as well? Or even a 50 THM with CON at 20?

Unknown Soldier said:
FFXIV is built entirely around this concept of customizing your character's build to exactly what you want to be and being able to switch out from one role to another at any time (with some limits, DoW classes will never be good mages unless they spend a lot of time on stat reallocation since you have to wait 45 minutes between each reallocation). This was intentional to prevent the problems in FFXI where some classes would spend hours LFG and other classes would be literally avalanched with tells inviting them to a party within 5 seconds of logging on. Everybody's a Conjurer in this game, everybody's a Marauder, everybody's a crafter and gatherer. It's just a matter of what you want to spend your time focusing on the most, but at any given moment you can switch from DPS to tank or from healing to nuking in just a few seconds, preventing the role and class lock-in that made FFXI such a terrible experience for any class other than, well, Bard.

Really? Because I had ZERO problems finding a party as WHM, RDM, PLD and COR. And if I wanted a party as SAM or SMN, I just made my own. I RARELY spent "hours LFG" and I have more 75 jobs than most of the people in this thread.

You're giving the FFXIV class system way more props than it deserves. It really isn't all that different from the FFXI system.

DrDogg said:
You want to be a good CON? Better have THM ranked. You're pretty much worthless as THM if you don't have CON ranked. Want to be a good GLA? You basically need to rank every other DoW class.

Endgame is going to take a huge elitist hit if the system stays as it is. People will not want you in their endgame LS if you don't have every necessary ability, which is going to equate to having several classes at 50. If you disagree, do you really think a 50 THM without CON ranked would be anywhere near as good as a 50 THM with a 50 CON as well? Or even a 50 THM with CON at 20?

I don't really comment in this thread too often as I see a lot of tears lately lol, but I do have to say that this statement is true 100%. I mean if you play either of those classes and you don't see the utility of having both jobs lvled to 50 your gimp. Plain and Simple. Which is why I'm leveling thaum to 50 now though I'm just getting ready to hit 30. At least my Conj is already 50. Ideally though they would need Out of Sight from archer also.

Also just throwing this out there, getting to 75 in FFXI wasnt hard. I played minimal from launch and had 5 at 75 before they implemented Eihnejar in ToAU. Just takes time really. So having "more" or "less" means nothing just one plays more then the other....:lol

FrankNitty said:
I don't really comment in this thread too often as I see a lot of tears lately lol, but I do have to say that this statement is true 100%. I mean if you play either of those classes and you don't see the utility of having both jobs lvled to 50 your gimp. Plain and Simple. Which is why I'm leveling thaum to 50 now though I'm just getting ready to hit 30. At least my Conj is already 50. Ideally though they would need Out of Sight from archer also.

I'm pretty sure that the 2 mage classes are an exception here since they have so much useful skill overlap. I'm pretty happy with leveling several battle classes to 20 and leaving them there for my Archer. I don't need multiple battle jobs at 50 just for Archer, there's just no utility since there are limited number of AP you can assign to skills anyways. Well, I'm also leveling both mage classes to 20 so I can cure myself a lot and also have Siphon MP but that's just for soloing, if I were playing exclusively in parties I wouldn't need to level mage jobs at all as a battle class.

Also just throwing this out there, getting to 75 in FFXI wasnt hard. I played minimal from launch and had 5 at 75 before they implemented Eihnejar in ToAU. Just takes time really. So having "more" or "less" means nothing just one plays more then the other....:lol

With the sole exception of EVE, all MMOGs are like this. If you have more time to invest, you get more powerful. Even WoW is like that at endgame, if you have all the time in the world to hardcore raid you can have stuff that casual players only dream of. FFXI isn't special in that regard, all MMOGs are based on the equation of "Time Invested = More Powerful" except EVE. Skill in MMOGs is almost a laughable concept, even in MMOGs which focus on PvP, because having more time to invest always defeats skill in the end. Some MMOGs like to kick you in the crotch on a regular basis to slow you down from becoming too powerful too fast, that's what divides the "hardcore" and "casual" style of MMOGs. Players of other MMOGs like to look down on WoW as "casual" and "easymode" when in reality all WoW did was remove most of the time-wasting that people mistake for being "challenge." The reality is that "challenge" in FFXI was just "getting randomly raped by Squenix for no apparent reason and losing 10% of XP on death", it wasn't because you were a better player than a WoW player. Some of the stuff players of WoW do at endgame is at least as if not more hardcore than the stuff people did in FFXI at endgame.

Ravidrath

HappyBivouac said:
Yo.

I've decided I love this game.

I got a new linkshell on Mysidia that's actually around, and between that and the update, I'm enjoying it much, much more.

Got a lot done today!

CON22 -> 24
THM14 -> 16
Made my own Bronze Raising Hammer, Square Ash Shield
Figured out the recipe for Hempen Chestband (Grey), which is wrong on every site

I think my next goal is to get THM to 20... any tips on where I should do that / what I should kill?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:
I think my next goal is to get THM to 20... any tips on where I should do that / what I should kill?
Well, since the update, your best bet is to mass murder coblyns.

When you're around rank 14-ish, just keep killing the lead coblyns around horizon - north, northeast, south east, and gathering a behest party once every hour. That should get you to 20 pretty quick.

Jinko

Or don't grind, just sign in do your 8 regional leves maybe a couple behest and log out.

No reason to try to power your way through this game in its current state, you will end up hating it and getting bored.

This is bullshit.

Classes which have awesome guilds which look and feel awesome:

Conjurer - a tunnel, then a glade with a huge fountain cup, then another tunnel, then inside a huge tree with running water everywhere

Thaumaturge - a huge hall with a big statue of a woman holding a curved sword

Marauder - a pirate ship, a fucking pirate ship!!

Classes which have shitty guilds which are shitty:

Archer and Lancer - buildings in Gridania. Seriously.

Pugilist and Gladiator - rooms in Uldah. Not even buildings just for them. Fuck that.

This is a bunch of bullshit if you ask me. I demand that all classes get cool looking guild halls in this game, and I demand it yesterday! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom