• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so tired of these assholes coming and overcamping my coblyns. I've been there for days now, the motherfuckers can't possibly not know this is my coblyn spot. It's the same cocksuckers too, I'll be there for a few hours and then the same fucking pieces of shit will just show up and start killing my coblyns. If I could reach through my monitor and punch them through the Internet, I swear to God that I would.

abq

Unknown Soldier said:
I am so tired of these assholes coming and overcamping my coblyns. I've been there for days now, the motherfuckers can't possibly not know this is my coblyn spot. It's the same cocksuckers too, I'll be there for a few hours and then the same fucking pieces of shit will just show up and start killing my coblyns. If I could reach through my monitor and punch them through the Internet, I swear to God that I would.
Sorry.

Teknoman

abq said:

gilly-christmas.jpg

Kandinsky said:
Any date for the Dec. patch?

I predict next week since thats about as mid-December as you can get.

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:

You're kidding me right? It's one thing if there's a party there and the camp can't hold more than one party, but to complain about it like it's your own personal camping area and anyone else who bothers to enter is an asshole motherfucker, is just selfish.

MomoPufflet said:
I don't get it either, especially the gathering/crafting stats on the body. Nothing about it makes sense-- pirate armor for fighters with no battle stats? :lol I'm sure(?) there will be changes, but it seems like they are really pushing this shit out the door to keep us pacified til the December update.

The reasoning is very clear. Musketeer will use Perception for it's marksmanship stat. :lol

In all seriousness, perhaps the rumored new classes will use this stats differently than the current classes, making this armor useful for them?

FrankNitty said:
It is definitely something that needs to be looked at, but at the same time it was pretty similar in FFXI though you just had to have jobs leveled high enough to sub, Ex. a RDM w a WHM sub was nice, but you had to have BLM lvled also, and then even later end game depending on the shell, you needed SMN and NIN, as well as possible others. So it's not out of the ordinary just depends on the standards and requirements of the shell. It kind of makes sense though but is extreme to a degree if you absolutely have to have both at 50.

Only reason Im doing it is just because thats what I do. Might as well do it right, if Im going to do it. They do need to implement something like being able to buy skills with marks or something. Not everyone is going to be willing to lvl a 2nd and/or 3rd job right away to 50

RDM is a very specific case because the job is so versatile (unlike ANYTHING in FFXIV). If you look at pretty much any other job it wasn't like that. BRD pretty much only needed NIN and WHM sub, PLD only needed WAR and NIN sub, most melee jobs only needed NIN and either WAR or SAM.

Also, to get maximum value out of a subjob you only needed it at 37. It's MUCH easier to take a job from 1-37 in FFXI than it is to take a job from 1-50 in FFXIV.

Unknown Soldier said:
If you actually look at the skills for DoW classes you will see that Squenix actually thought of this. If you really want to level multiple DoW classes to support your main job, you can stop them at 20. Leveling another DoW class to 50 is strictly optional.

Leveling any additional jobs to 20 would be optional as well. In fact, leveling a second job at all is purely optional when it comes to endgame. That's not what we're discussing here. The problem is that in order to have the best abilities (which is what most endgame shells will require), you will need all related jobs at 50.

SE didn't think any of this through. The only DoW class I play is GLA, so I don't know what's class-specific, but just glancing through the skills you're telling me you don't want Chameleon (r26), Out of Sight (r30), Decoy (r36), Keen Flurry (r26), Collusion (r30) and a number of other +20 abilities? To say any of these are less important than the 1-20 abilities is just a flat out lie.

The bottom line is very clear. Unless something changes, you will need to have multiple classes at 50 to get the most out of each class and to get into most endgame linkshells. That's just ridiculous...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DrDogg said:
SE didn't think any of this through. The only DoW class I play is GLA, so I don't know what's class-specific, but just glancing through the skills you're telling me you don't want Chameleon (r26), Out of Sight (r30), Decoy (r36), Keen Flurry (r26), Collusion (r30) and a number of other +20 abilities? To say any of these are less important than the 1-20 abilities is just a flat out lie.
Well, Chameleon and Out of Sight would be useful to mages, but it's not absolutely necessary as I don't think hardly any of the high level mages have archer leveled to rank 26. You can buy "Out of Sight" at rank 20 archer, by the way.

Keen Flurry and Collusion aren't that useful, actually.

Speaking as a rank 44 MRD, I have all classes except glad and archer ranked up to 20. That was for the unique traits that the other classes have.

PGL - "Prime Conditioning" - 10% extra cure potency on you
LNC - "Fleet of Foot" - faster movement in active mode
THM - "Firm Conviction" - defense up when casting
CON - "Fast Cast" - 20% faster casting

That is the first cutoff threshold for having above average effectiveness. It's not hard to get.

After that, it's not that important to rank up the subjobs, at least not in the current system.

At rank 36, you can buy the class affinity that helps subjob abilities be more effective when cross-classed, but currently you can only buy it once, so it's good, but not necessary.

I'm pretty kickass in my current state, and there are few abilities past rank 20 that I'm really interested in.

LNC affinity trait - buyable at rank 36 - not a must-have, but useful

PGL affinity trait - buyable at rank 36 - not a must-have, but useful

"Twisting Vice" LNC 42 - Destroys all of the target's TP - Gimme gimmee gimme

"Contagion" THM 50 - remove all your own debuffs and give them to the target - fuck yea gimme gimme gimme

And that's about it.

The other tier II abilities are only slightly better than the tier I abilities, and the difference is even less since those abilities are being cross-classed anyways. Using the tier I abilities from other classes is good enough.

Teknoman

I wonder if giving Gladiators the ability to use great swords would have any effect on Marauder's usefulness? Then again, Marauders as supposed to be aoe damage dealers...so maybe great sword wielding gla would be focused on causing lots of damage to one enemy?

Also werent there .dat files for Gladiator Great Sword skills, or am I thinking of something else?

This might be stretching it, but there's Lodestone maintenance on the 12th...maybe Miracle Patch™ 2: Electric Boogaloo is going in that night?

DrDogg said:
You're kidding me right? It's one thing if there's a party there and the camp can't hold more than one party, but to complain about it like it's your own personal camping area and anyone else who bothers to enter is an asshole motherfucker, is just selfish.

Actually, I would say I was roughly 60% kidding and 40% serious. If I was really serious I would have ragequitted instead of staying there and trying to get through an unpleasant grind all night. It was really annoying because that area can really only support 1 camper at a time and people kept on showing up and trying to run the person already there out the whole night. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, when I show up somewhere and see it's camped I just move on and try to find another spot. Maybe I'm not enough of a douchebag for this game, I should be more douchey and just overcamp people instead of trying to be nice and respectful and leaving a camped spot.

I mean, this is why people who play MMOGs on other continents hate American MMOG players, they are too greedy and stupid to understand that if you show up and try to camp a spot which already is being camped, you're screwing your own progression and you're screwing someone else's too. That's not how you make friends either. It's the classic American "all I care about is me and fuck everyone else" mentality and it's the biggest reason why all the JPs have started avoiding everyone else again in FFXIV. There were a lot of nice JPs at the launch and I played with them all the way through killing efts, but then all of a sudden they all withdrew into their shells and stopped talking to anyone who couldn't speak Japanese at them, just like what happened in FFXI. It didn't take long for that to happen either, just over 2 months.

Teknoman said:
I wonder if giving Gladiators the ability to use great swords would have any effect on Marauder's usefulness? Then again, Marauders as supposed to be aoe damage dealers...so maybe great sword wielding gla would be focused on causing lots of damage to one enemy?

Also werent there .dat files for Gladiator Great Sword skills, or am I thinking of something else?

I think it would be great if Gladiators got 2-handed swords. Marauders are better tanks than Gladiators right now anyways due to huge HP pool compared to all other classes and ridiculous Parry bonus. A Marauder can parry ~30-50% of all attacks directed at them when the character is properly specced, tell me that isn't ridiculous damage mitigation. A Gladiator does not block anywhere near 30-50% of attacks directed at him, I can tell you that. Marauders have roughly double the DPS rate of Gladiators right now so they hold the hate better too. When I played with Rentahamster killing raptors I rarely ever ripped aggro off him and pulled the mob, but when I played with Kasumi Chan I was pulling aggro once every fight off of her, and she was 5 ranks above me! So I think giving a Gladiator a 2-handed sword would let him play a DPS role and let the Marauder play a tank role. It's just like what happened with Ninjas in FFXI, Squenix didn't expect NIN to tank but it became a very popular tanking class.

Londa

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
I mean, this is why people who play MMOGs on other continents hate American MMOG players, they are too greedy and stupid to understand that if you show up and try to camp a spot which already is being camped, you're screwing your own progression and you're screwing someone else's too. That's not how you make friends either. It's the classic American "all I care about is me and fuck everyone else" mentality and it's the biggest reason why all the JPs have started avoiding everyone else again in FFXIV. There were a lot of nice JPs at the launch and I played with them all the way through killing efts, but then all of a sudden they all withdrew into their shells and stopped talking to anyone who couldn't speak Japanese at them, just like what happened in FFXI. It didn't take long for that to happen either, just over 2 months.

Do you really have to bash American players? You can not lump all Americans as one type of player. You have a lot of anger issues.

About the JP issue. They still talk to me. I think that experience is situational.

Ravidrath

Dreamwriter said:
This might be stretching it, but there's Lodestone maintenance on the 12th...maybe Miracle Patch™ 2: Electric Boogaloo is going in that night?

I'm guessing it's on the 17th.

Rentahamster said:
So the X button or square button on controllers toggles AOE.

Wait, since when?

DrDogg

Ravidrath said:
Wait, since when?

It depends on how your controller is setup. I believe it's the emote button actually. Mine is currently select/back as I recall. It's either the emote button or the "I want to know what the icon at the top of the screen means" button. :lol

Rentahamster said:
Well, Chameleon and Out of Sight would be useful to mages, but it's not absolutely necessary as I don't think hardly any of the high level mages have archer leveled to rank 26. You can buy "Out of Sight" at rank 20 archer, by the way.

*snip*

Well, as I said, I only have GLA ranked and I know I want a lot of other DoW skills. In fact, I feel I need them in order to be the best tank I can be.

Also, while you can buy stuff at rank 20, you still need to play as the job to earn guildmarks right? So even though you can stop at 20, you won't be able to buy everything that's available at 20.

Unknown Soldier said:

I find that most people are respectful of camp sites, but only when there's a party. A single person is rarely respected because... well, you're a single person. I think it's more about being lazy though. People don't want to seek out another camp.

Also, how was Kasumi Chan tanking? In my limited experience as GLA, I find that it's not damage which holds hate for GLA, it's the abilities of the class, combined with the abilities of over classes. For instance, I hold hate with several job abilities, along with Cure spells and other various abilities and spells from other classes. If my only source of enmity generation was damage, there's no way I'd be able to hold hate as GLA.

Was it possible KC was simply not tanking well?

zlatko

Banned
I've never played a MMO where people didn't circle jerk around monster spawns that they needed. In FFXI there was no select world demographic that rode NM's---everyone was trying to do it. Hell weren't the Japanese the first to come up with the bot programs to CHEAT to claim HNM's and such in FFXI?

Rare monster having a rare item YOU want = do what you gotta to get it. Minus cheating of course. I don't care if you've been there 20 days, or 20 seconds the thing is fair game to anyone who is putting in an effort to get it too. They get it even though you were there longer? Tough cookies. Don't blame the player---blame the lame ass game that set it up that way in the first place.

asdad123

Sooooo christmas break is coming and I still have a small urge to play this game even though it was pretty bad around launch lol.

Is there any place to legally DL this from SE or something, maybe under my SE account? I cant seem to find my discs haha, and even if I did, I have a m11xR2 and that doesnt have a cd drive.

Teknoman

I think you just need to use all the enmity generating attacks Gladiator has to hold hate (I can never get rid of it...much to my dismay at times :lol ) and scutum shields (big tower shields) have a 99 Block rate.

Heavy Slash, Provoke, Phalanx, among other things get the enemy stuck on you. Of course, Gladiator being more like a Warrior (all around class, can tank or do damage when necessary) would be nice.

Personally, i'm just going to mix Gladiator and Marauder skills.

Darte

330.jpg

More free trial, staff changes. Tanaka usurped!
Source: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c499e4c5df4f3f0fde1fb47a28574cb9c3991c9f

A word from Yoichi Wada
Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company's top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group's most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We realize time is of the essence and are fully determined to provide our customers with quality service. It is because of this that we ask our customers to be patient until we are able to confidently present them with a concrete plan outlining FINAL FANTASY XIV's new direction. The free trial period will be extended until that time.

Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned. For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV team is working hard to bring our customers an unparalleled adventure, and we ask for your continued understanding and support as we march ever diligently towards that goal.

President and CEO, Yoichi Wada

Staff Changes
The development and management teams would like to make an announcement regarding personnel changes.

[Organizational Changes to the Development Team]
To improve the service of FINAL FANTASY XIV, Square Enix has made the following changes to the development team:

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director
Naoki Yoshida

Section Leader Changes

Assistant Director
Shintaro Tamai (FINAL FANTASY X, Front Mission 5: Scars of the War)

Lead Game Designer
Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY XI)

Lead Combat System Designer
Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

Technical Advisor
Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Next Generation Game Engine Development)

Lead Programmer
Hideyuki Kasuga (FINAL FANTASY XI, DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-)

Senior Concept Artist
Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

Lead Artist
Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XI, THE LAST REMNANT)

Lead UI Designer/Lead Web Designer
Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

These members will make up the development team's new core-a core dedicated to ensuring we achieve a level of enjoyability that will more than satisfy our customers. Under a schedule of more frequent version updates, the new leaders and their respective sections will strive for continued improvements to FINAL FANTASY XIV service operation and development.

[Extension of the Free Trial Period]
As stated above, the newly restructured team's top priority is to bring about improvements to the game's enjoyability, and therefore we have decided to extend the free trial period until we can provide a plan that outlines a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers. When we are confident that we have reached that goal, we will notify our customers immediately.

[Future Version Updates]
At present, the development team is putting the finishing touches on the previously announced version update, which is still slated for release in mid-December. In addition, there is one more version update scheduled for release before year's end. Details on the content and dates of these updates will be released in the near future.

[Delay of the PlayStation 3 Version Release]
Although the release date for the PlayStation 3 version of the game was previously announced as late March of 2011, we regret to inform that this date has been changed.

The PlayStation 3 release will be delayed until we are confident that the game has reached the level of enjoyability and service befitting the FINAL FANTASY name for users on all supported platforms. We offer our sincerest apologies to any fans anticipating the PlayStation 3 release, and humbly ask for your continued patience and understanding as both the development team and Square Enix as a whole strive towards making FINAL FANTASY XIV a truly enjoyable and unforgettable adventure.

[New Development Team Policy]
I would like to take this opportunity to greet all of you—those currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV, those who have taken a respite from playing, and those awaiting the PlayStation 3 release—and offer a brief word by way of an introduction.

No doubt there are very few, if any, among you who have ever heard the name Naoki Yoshida. To be sure, I have never been in the fore on any of the titles I have worked on in the past. I am, however, honored and privileged to work alongside many talented and inspiring colleagues, and with their support have enjoyed making games for a number of years. I am aware that a great many people will think the responsibility of leading FINAL FANTASY XIV is far too large a task for someone so unknown. After all, even my very best may seem no more than a drop in the bucket when considering the sheer scope of FINAL FANTASY XIV. But working together with me are the very talented and very capable development and management teams, whose dedication and motivation are unwavering. I would like to ask you to please put to rest uncertainties that you may have.

Now, more than ever, myself, the development team, and Square Enix as a whole, are committed to furthering our efforts to provide a quality service.

Everything we do will be for our players and customers.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director, Naoki Yoshida

Bye bye Tanaka!
First of all, I would like to apologize for our inability to fully satisfy our users with the initial release of FINAL FANTASY XIV. I take full responsibility for the game's current situation, and have therefore made the decision to step down from my role as producer. A number of concerns that have been voiced by users, such as the design of the user interface, availability of tutorials and game content, and battle system functionality, represent key issues that must be addressed. While improvements are already well underway in many areas, we were unfortunately not able to incorporate player feedback as quickly as we would have liked. We are aware, however, that in many cases, addressing these issues will call for a reworking of game elements. As these changes are our first priority, they will be commanding our full attention and efforts. It is to that end that we have put a new organizational structure into place for the development team. Under this new system, FINAL FANTASY XIV will see changes and additions in line with the desires and expectations of players. Though no longer producer, I will be continuing to support the development team in other capacities, and personally hope that you will continue your adventures in the realm of Eorzea.

Hiromichi Tanaka

Teknoman

Umm...Mjunter mentioned something about how S-E should restructure the team, kinda strange that something like that actually happened so soon.

Cmagus

Damn another free period? Hopefully they can get things together I wonder how they are going to do it, I bet they will let it go for awhile then do a full reset when its truly ready ah well I will still take advantage of the free time despite my bitching lol.

Unknown Soldier said:
I mean, this is why people who play MMOGs on other continents hate American MMOG players, they are too greedy and stupid to understand that if you show up and try to camp a spot which already is being camped, you're screwing your own progression and you're screwing someone else's too. That's not how you make friends either. It's the classic American "all I care about is me and fuck everyone else" mentality and it's the biggest reason why all the JPs have started avoiding everyone else again in FFXIV.
There are all kinds no matter where you go. I know it's hard not to stereotype sometimes, but WTF man.

Unknown Soldier said:
Maybe I'm not enough of a douchebag for this game
Pretty sure you don't need to worry about this.

EDIT: And holy crap at the delayed PS3 release. Sounds like it finally hit the fan at SE, I just wonder if it's in time to salvage what player base is still left.

Teknoman

Cmagus said:
Damn another free period? Hopefully they can get things together I wonder how they are going to do it, I bet they will let it go for awhile then do a full reset when its truly ready ah well I will still take advantage of the free time despite my bitching lol.

By full reset, do you mean character ranks as well? Doubt something like that would happen...that would just cause everyone to drop :lol

Rentahamster said:
lol @ this whole situation. Here's hoping for the best.

Hey two major patches this month instead of just one, no complaints here. Its a bad situation, and this probably should've been the core team from the start, but hey...at least they are moving out of the hole they dug even faster. For now anyway.

Fuck! Tanaka! Nooooo!

Tanaka's a good man who has been involved in many of my favorite games of all time. Square always has to pin blame on someone. That's their way of things. :(

Bento

Nice to see Square taking action, this entire project has been reeking with incompetence :( Hoping the new team will be a positive injection to the game :)

So the free play time is now indeterminate. {Hmmm.}

I'm starting to feel really good about my CE purchase. If they delay the end of free play time long enough I will have already paid off the equivalent of the cost of the CE from not paying subscription fees and then some, plus I got a free security token! :lol

I feel sort of bad for Hiromichi Tanaka, Squenix basically told him to make a game that isn't FFXI and also here's when it's going to be released and we don't care if it's done or not. And then after that they gave him a sword and told him to fall on it. I wouldn't be surprised if he follows all the other big names who have left Squenix this decade out the door soon. He can reunite with Sakaguchi and Matsuno at Mistwalker Studios, amirite? :lol

Bento

Londa said:
I am really sadden, bring Tanaka back...Wada is the real problem.
Does his presence really matter though that much that Square should overlook his part in all of this as a producer? And yes, I would like to see Wada step down but that's not going to happen. I'm simply happy they're doing anything at all, shit like this cannot go down without consequences.
Unknown Soldier said:
So the free play time is now indeterminate. {Hmmm.}

I'm starting to feel really good about my CE purchase. If they delay the end of free play time long enough I will have already paid off the equivalent of the cost of the CE from not paying subscription fees and then some, plus I got a free security token! :lol
Yep, it's actually nice of them to do this, never seen anything like this to such an extent (Vanguard should have done this). And it's going to be really nice to be able to try out the new content for free as it will determine if I'm going to invest more time in this game or not. Really hope all comes together now, so much potential here imo :|

Azrael

Well, at least they're not giving up on the game anytime soon. With a new team I expect them to announce some pretty drastic changes, like removing the market wards altogether and a drastic retooling of combat balance.

Londa

Banned
Bento said:
Does his presence really matter though that much that Square should overlook his part in all of this as a producer? And yes, I would like to see Wada step down but that's not going to happen. I'm simply happy they're doing anything at all, shit like this cannot go down without consequences.

When Tanaka left to work on FFXIV, FFXI was at its peak imo. I started to lost interest in FFXI a good time after he left FFXI because I couldn't hold my attention anymore and I was busy in real life so I gave up on it all together. So I have a feeling that Tanaka brought something good to FFXI and I had high hopes for this game to improve for the better. Which it was doing. I'm just worried that this new producer is coming in with no idea as to what made FFXI good.

Effect

Surprised this happen so fast. I was wondering how long it would take and if SE would keep their heads in the sand. I guess the internal reports for FFXIV must be pretty bad for them to not only replace the people they did but to make the free period indefinite for the time being. I'd like to laugh at this but I want my monies worth out of my purchase. It's still installed (haven't logged in for some time though). If they can make enough changes, as long as I don't have to pay for them until I feel it's worth paying, I'm willing to wait a bit longer.

Azrael

Effect said:
Surprised this happen so fast. I was wondering how long it would take and if SE would keep their heads in the sand. I guess the internal reports for FFXIV must be pretty bad for them to not only replace the people they did but to make the free period indefinite for the time being. I'd like to laugh at this but I want my monies worth out of my purchase. It's still installed (haven't logged in for some time though). If they can make enough changes, as long as I don't have to pay for them until I feel it's worth paying, I'm willing to wait a bit longer.

The game's population dropped dramatically after Cataclysm released. At times in the middle of the week I saw 10-20 people around the level 10 and 20 Aetherite camps. That was probably the final straw.

At this point they're probably going to work on fixing stuff until around March or so, relaunch the game with an expansion pack (free to existing owners) so they can attach a fresh new name to it, and follow that up with the PS3 release. They still have a ton of content they were waiting on the PS3 version to implement. There's no way they don't do it sooner now.

Jinko

Good god, this game is shouting failure in every direction..

Another free month to me says "we realise our game is a failure, it's dying, but we are desperate, we need to keep you, Please don't leave"

I agree that Wada should be the one stepping down.

I find it hard to think they will have much success relaunching with PS3, at this point is like asking someone if they want to buy shit in a box.

I'm just worried that this new producer is coming in with no idea as to what made FFXI good.

What difference does it matter, currently FF14 has very little of what made FF11 good anyway.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
Another free month
Not just another free month...

we have decided to extend the free trial period until we can provide a plan that outlines a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers. When we are confident that we have reached that goal, we will notify our customers immediately.

Effect

I agree Cataclysm had to do a number on the player base that was left. It will be interesting if they do decide to relaunch the game. Drop XIV and simply called it Final Fantasy: <insert title>. Give it the sudo appearance of being a new game.

However that would only work if they do a massive overhaul on the game. Rush the game was but it had and does have significant design flaws. It doesn't hold up well I feel to WoW in terms of systems within the game. Not even talking about easy of level or anything like that just actually gameplay mechanics. It has very screwed up design that doesn't even exist in normal Final Fantasy games I feel. It's one thing to be unique but it's another to purposefully ignore designs that work and people expect just to be different. That they ignored elements that made FFXI work and enjoyable is a massive WTF! Anyone that said okay to that should have been fired.

Azrael said:
The game's population dropped dramatically after Cataclysm released. At times in the middle of the week I saw 10-20 people around the level 10 and 20 Aetherite camps. That was probably the final straw.

Camps have had less than 15 people on melmond for at least 2-3 weeks (NA prime). Zero people doing behest, etc. People don't know how "good" they have it...

Teknoman

Effect said:
I agree Cataclysm had to do a number on the player base that was left. It will be interesting if they do decide to relaunch the game. Drop XIV and simply called it Final Fantasy: <insert title>. Give it the sudo appearance of being a new game.

However that would only work if they do a massive overhaul on the game. Rush the game was but it had and does have significant design flaws. It doesn't hold up well I feel to WoW in terms of systems within the game. Not even talking about easy of level or anything like that just actually gameplay mechanics. It has very screwed up design that doesn't even exist in normal Final Fantasy games I feel. It's one thing to be unique but it's another to purposefully ignore designs that work and people expect just to be different. That they ignored elements that made FFXI work and enjoyable is a massive WTF! Anyone that said okay to that should have been fired.

Cataclysm didnt really do anything on the player base, people just either got tired of lack of content, took a break, or are still messing around with the little stuff they have. I mean sure, it may have taken a few, but it wasnt the majority. As far as new title, that probably wont ever happen :lol it's still S-E.

Jinko said:
Good god, this game is shouting failure in every direction..

Another free month to me says "we realise our game is a failure, it's dying, but we are desperate, we need to keep you, Please don't leave"

I agree that Wada should be the one stepping down.

I find it hard to think they will have much success relaunching with PS3, at this point is like asking someone if they want to buy shit in a box.

What difference does it matter, currently FF14 has very little of what made FF11 good anyway.

What else could they do though? Its very possible to shape things up into an amazing game, working off and tweaking what they have now.

Zalasta

Honestly, despite the game still in a disappointing (albeit improving) state, I would've been okay paying a monthly fee at a reduced rate. I actually feel a bit bad playing for free, as I genuinely do want it to bounce back.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
What else could they do though? Its very possible to shape things up into an amazing game, working off and tweaking what they have now.

They shouldve taken the negative player feedback from beta, delayed the entire game and worked on what they are doing now....get their shit together and then release it. That didnt happen so this is pretty much their only option.

Im glad their taking these steps to improve it but it does worry me for the future. Word of mouth is everything and FF14s word of mouth is shit. Very few people who arent already owners and subscribers are going to want to jump into an MMO that is now in a "trial extended until the game is good" phase. Im sure theres plenty of would be PC owners who have given up and would be PS3 owners that dont even care anymore.

When SE finally comes out and says "hey guys, we fixed it!", I dont see a lot of people coming back. By then, theyve already moved on.

Effect

Salaadin said:
They shouldve taken the negative player feedback from beta, delayed the entire game and worked on what they are doing now....get their shit together and then release it. That didnt happen so this is pretty much their only option.

Im glad their taking these steps to improve it but it does worry me for the future. Word of mouth is everything and FF14s word of mouth is shit. Very few people who arent already owners and subscribers are going to want to jump into an MMO that is now in a "trial extended until the game is good" phase. Im sure theres plenty of would be PC owners who have given up and would be PS3 owners that dont even care anymore.

When SE finally comes out and says "hey guys, we fixed it!", I dont see a lot of people coming back. By then, theyve already moved on.

It certainly would have been cheaper for SE to have delayed the game instead of releasing it. Now they have to pay for the servers, etc on top of developers when they simply could have just kept paying developers or even just reduced the staff during the delayed production.

hgplayer1

I actually read this news in an e-mail on my phone this morning when I woke up. I thought it was just going to be another announcement of another free month of play and I was shocked to read that something so drastic is taking place.

Having said that, Im happy that they arent wasting time making a decision such as this but Im not sure I will be too interested in the game until some significant changes actually take place.

Ive been meaning to get back to XI and check out the new stuff there so maybe this gives me the time to do that. I think I may drop my pearls in XIV and just get back on board when theres actually a need to be in a LS.

Also regarding Tanaka, "Though no longer producer, I will be continuing to support the development team in other capacities, and personally hope that you will continue your adventures in the realm of Eorzea.". That doesnt sound like he is leaving Square or the FFXIV team. Just stepping down from role of producer.

I dont know if I believe that SE wont be able to reestablish a significant user base later on down the road IF they fix things and the game becomes what most of us hoped it will be. Certainly right now I would never recommend the game to anyone but if the game improves word of mouth will get people back as much as it has kept people away.

Zalasta

I have yet to figure this out but is there any way to page up/down your inventory list with a controller? It's the only thing (beyond typing) that I have to resort to using the keyboard.

Teknoman

Zalasta said:
I have yet to figure this out but is there any way to page up/down your inventory list with a controller? It's the only thing (beyond typing) that I have to resort to using the keyboard.

Dpad.

notworksafe

Thank god Tanaka is stepping down as producer. The man knows nothing about MMO games, seemed to have little interest in how a modern MMO worked, and even admitted that he doesn't play MMOs and doesn't see why anyone on the FFXIV team needed to have played them.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Let's hope that this signals a new era for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom