• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

Just woke up and saw this...

I feel really badly for Tanaka and, to a lesser extent, Komoto.

I don't think any of this is their fault, and they're being made to take responsibility for Wada's terrible decision to push the release date up. They did their best with the resources they were given, and probably absolutely killed themselves trying to accomplish what we've gotten so far. What did they get for it? A window seat and a demotion.

It's going to be a major uphill battle, though... while I appreciate their desire to go all out fixing things, it's going to be difficult to swim against the tide of internet opinion. But Final Fantasy fans have been doing that for more than a decade, at this point.

Teknoman said:

I think he meant actually paging down inventory lists at an accelerated rate, like the page up/down keys on the keyboard do.

And the answer right now is no (same goes for eating food with the controller)

DrDogg

Teknoman said:
What else could they do though? Its very possible to shape things up into an amazing game, working off and tweaking what they have now.

The combat system needs to see some changes. Mainly in the abilities and roles of each class. This should also force changes to the current class system.

Right now it's too easy to combine classes. The flexibility SE was looking for only made the classes less defined, and in some cases useless (THM).

Combat needs to be fun and engaging for all classes. Easy to just hack away, but challenging to really master each class. This is what made FFXI so good. I didn't care how long it took to reach 75 or get my WHM body from Dynamis, because I had a lot of fun just playing my job to the best of my ability. In FFXIV nothing is fun... period.

Crafting also needs an overhaul. The basic system is fine, but you either take the super slow route of only ranking up through leves, or you take the super boring route of grinding. If crafting is going to be a job class, they need to make it at least moderately entertaining to grind. SE can't expect people to have fun choosing between the same four options from rank 1-50 (a couple of added abilities doesn't really change this).

Then of course, you have the Market Ward system, which really should just be changed to the FFXI auction house.

Square Enix said:
Lead Game Designer
Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY XI)

Lead Combat System Designer
Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

I'm sad to see Tanaka go, but it's hard to determine how much of the current state of FFXIV is directly his fault.

That said, my two favorite Final Fantasy games are IX and XI, and combat is the most important thing to me in an MMO, so these two changes make me VERY happy. :D

Pai Pai Master said:
At this point they're probably going to work on fixing stuff until around March or so, relaunch the game with an expansion pack (free to existing owners) so they can attach a fresh new name to it, and follow that up with the PS3 release. They still have a ton of content they were waiting on the PS3 version to implement. There's no way they don't do it sooner now.

I expect the first expansion to be the PS3 release. Kind of like what they did with the US release of FFXI as well as the Xbox 360 release. I would like to see SE give it free to existing PC owners (or at least existing PC players - not those who have canceled), but I don't know if they'll go that far.

Azrael

I expect the first expansion to be the PS3 release. Kind of like what they did with the US release of FFXI as well as the Xbox 360 release. I would like to see SE give it free to existing PC owners (or at least existing PC players - not those who have canceled), but I don't know if they'll go that far.

The first expansion pack should release alongside the PS3 version and PC version relaunch, bundled with all new copies of the game and as a free download for existing users and coinciding with the end of the free trial period.

DrDogg said:

Yeah but Rise of the Zilart launched in Japan well before the US release.

I wouldn't be surprised if this hypothetical expansion was simply a massive version update, and the PS3 version would be released with this title, i.e. "Final Fantasy XIV: ____ of the ____" or whatever. New copies of the PC version could be rebranded with this title as well to signify the change and, hopefully, garner a second look from the rest of the industry.

DrDogg

Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah but Rise of the Zilart launched in Japan well before the US release.

I wouldn't be surprised if this hypothetical expansion was simply a massive version update, and the PS3 version would be released with this title, i.e. "Final Fantasy XIV: ____ of the ____" or whatever. New copies of the PC version could be rebranded with this title as well to signify the change and, hopefully, garner a second look from the rest of the industry.

With the delay of the PS3 version, I expect new classes and possibly new areas by the time it releases. With all of the problems, March seemed unlikely for new classes and the like, but with more time, I think it's very possible. A level cap increase would also be nice, but we'll see... I doubt I'll have anything to 50 by then anyway, unless things really start to shape up.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
The combat system needs to see some changes. Mainly in the abilities and roles of each class. This should also force changes to the current class system.

Right now it's too easy to combine classes. The flexibility SE was looking for only made the classes less defined, and in some cases useless (THM).

Combat needs to be fun and engaging for all classes. Easy to just hack away, but challenging to really master each class. This is what made FFXI so good. I didn't care how long it took to reach 75 or get my WHM body from Dynamis, because I had a lot of fun just playing my job to the best of my ability. In FFXIV nothing is fun... period.

Crafting also needs an overhaul. The basic system is fine, but you either take the super slow route of only ranking up through leves, or you take the super boring route of grinding. If crafting is going to be a job class, they need to make it at least moderately entertaining to grind. SE can't expect people to have fun choosing between the same four options from rank 1-50 (a couple of added abilities doesn't really change this).

Then of course, you have the Market Ward system, which really should just be changed to the FFXI auction house.

pancakesandsex said:
I'd kinda like to see the environments overhauled. Like, the existing ones.

As in adding extra buildings/dungeon areas and NPCs?

I'm sad to see Tanaka go, but it's hard to determine how much of the current state of FFXIV is directly his fault.

That said, my two favorite Final Fantasy games are IX and XI, and combat is the most important thing to me in an MMO, so these two changes make me VERY happy. :D

I'm sure they'll really look over the combat system, since that was the goal prior to the position shuffle, to solidify class roles even though you can combine certain class skills.

Whats up with some XIV forums saying you couldnt really see a profit with the XI AH system anyway? Personally I think more background environment effects would be nice.

DrDogg

Dreamwriter said:
In what way is THM useless?

What can THM do that CON with THM sub can't (or even CON with no sub in some cases)?

Take a THM without any sub and it's of very little use. It can't main heal a party, it can barely back up heal a party, it can't inflict significant damage... all it can really do is minor debuffs and those don't last long enough to be worth the party slot.

Take any other class without a sub and it's far more useful than THM. And THM with any sub is still not as useful as CON.

Teknoman said:
I'm sure they'll really look over the combat system, since that was the goal prior to the position shuffle, to solidify class roles even though you can combine certain class skills.

Whats up with some XIV forums saying you couldnt really see a profit with the XI AH system anyway? Personally I think more background environment effects would be nice.

I always made a profit on the FFXI AH, but there are times when people would undercut prices so low, you'd actually lose money to put it in the AH. Gil sellers could also manipulate the system, but I was never really affected by this.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
Thank god Tanaka is stepping down as producer. The man knows nothing about MMO games, seemed to have little interest in how a modern MMO worked, and even admitted that he doesn't play MMOs and doesn't see why anyone on the FFXIV team needed to have played them.

Good riddance to bad rubbish. Let's hope that this signals a new era for the game.

While it's true that getting rid of him is for the best, but it's something that should have been done DURING development. Switching up people's rolls after a release, trying to save something that literally has about 20% done correctly is just a waste of Square's time and money.

I'll eat crow for this if need be, but this is the final nail in this games coffin as far as I can tell.

R.I.P FFXIV Sept 2010-Dec 2010.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
zlatko said:
I'll eat crow for this if need be, but this is the final nail in this games coffin as far as I can tell.

Nah, this game isn't beyond salvaging. It'll be ok.

Babalu.

Rentahamster said:

I think it will be ok until the big guns hit next year.

Tera online
Old republic
Guild wars 2

That will absolutely MURDER this game if they have subscription fees by then unless they REALLY and I mean REALLY change this game up.

DrDogg

zlatko said:
While it's true that getting rid of him is for the best, but it's something that should have been done DURING development. Switching up people's rolls after a release, trying to save something that literally has about 20% done correctly is just a waste of Square's time and money.

You'll definitely be eating crow. The PS3 release was always the priority. Windows may have been the lead platform, but SE always knew the PS3 was the make or break platform.

High PC specs in conjunction with PS3 market penetration make the PS3 version the heavy hitter here. It's very similar to the PS2 situation with FFXI. As long as the game is in good shape by the PS3 release it'll be far from dead.

I question if it will hit a FFXI level of subscribers though...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DrDogg said:
You'll definitely be eating crow. The PS3 release was always the priority. Windows may have been the lead platform, but SE always knew the PS3 was the make or break platform.

High PC specs in conjunction with PS3 market penetration make the PS3 version the heavy hitter here. It's very similar to the PS2 situation with FFXI. As long as the game is in good shape by the PS3 release it'll be far from dead.

Has there ever been a SE release of system number on FFXI? Even when they do the annual FFXI census, I don't recall ever seeing it. I've played it since PC launch in NA and I'd actually be surprised to learn that PS2 was ever the dominate platform on it. Especially given that you needed the lolPS2HardDrive.

Desi

i was lead to believe that in Japan many of the players were on the PS2. Wouldn't be surprising since it launched on that platform and the japanese had many more uses for the PS2 HDD.

hitsugi

Rentahamster said:

People forget that it took XI about a year+ to actually become a pretty decent game (when the expansion hit)

However, with all of the knowledge of XI's mistakes and improvements made over time, there was no reason to release XIV in the state it was / is in. I think people would have been happier having it delayed and kept in beta until the hate mail stopped flowing in.

Just Tanaka's ignorance, I guess.

FLEABttn

Banned
DrDogg said:

There's enough overlap between PS3 and PC users that the bad PC word of mouth will carry over to the PS3 release.

This isn't the nail in the coffin, but 100k subscribers is probably a realistic high point, assuming a fixed game.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I decided I was going to run around and try to get to Mor Dhona, a place that I have no right to be in given my current level (let's just say that aggroing enemies on the way were killing me with 4300 HP in one shot! :lol :lol )

After a LOT of running, I MADE IT!! :D :D

MorDhona001_720.jpg

MorDhona002_720.jpg

MorDhona003_720.jpg

When I clicked on the below, it did nothing. I'm sure it must be quest related somehow...

MorDhona004_720.jpg

Ooooooh, what's that?

MorDhona005_720.jpg

MorDhona006_720.jpg

Almost to the camp!

MorDhona007_720.jpg

HAH! MADE IT!! :D :D

MorDhona008_720.jpg

Now let's see what that other thing was...

MorDhona009_720.jpg

Too bad there's a big ol' lake in the way...

MorDhona010_720.jpg

MorDhona011_720.jpg

MorDhona012_720.jpg

After that, I got aggro'd and decided I'd come back later. But still, awesome adventure, and I've no doubt this is where we'll be going when we reach 60.

JudgeN

DrDogg said:
What can THM do that CON with THM sub can't (or even CON with no sub in some cases)?

Take a THM without any sub and it's of very little use. It can't main heal a party, it can barely back up heal a partyit can't inflict significant damage... all it can really do is minor debuffs and those don't last long enough to be worth the party slot.

Take any other class without a sub and it's far more useful than THM. And THM with any sub is still not as useful as CON.

Didn't they boost sacrifice potency in the last patch? I've party with THM who's sacrifice 2 did as much healing as cure 2 AND they gave us nice regen. I think your jumping the gun when talking about THM, its seems like a rdm class to me debuffs/healing/some nuking.

DrDogg said:
Take a THM without any sub and it's of very little use. It can't main heal a party, it can barely back up heal a party, it can't inflict significant damage... all it can really do is minor debuffs and those don't last long enough to be worth the party slot.
Well, THM isn't a healing class, so dunno why you'd consider that, but Sacrifice/Sacrifice II makes a great backup heal skill, especially with Sacrifice II's nice regen. And those debuffs are pretty damn useful when stacked together, especially when you add Damage over Time. Take down a creature's attack power, slow down its stamina regen, suck off some of its Defense for your own use, and throw a poison on there for good measure, and it makes the fight a lot easier.

And THM *really* helps for doing "Pursue" leves: you can Gravity the "last" creature so other people in your party have time to kill it before it reaches its destination, and add a Poison for good measure so it can help kill itself when you can't catch it.

Sacrifice was buffed from the last patch. It still does less upfront than Cure does but the Regen effect is ridiculous, you ultimately end up with something like double what it does upfront in total healing including the Regen. If you think THM isn't a potent healer you just haven't played THM much. Get at least to THM 20 and experience the ridiculous awesomeness of Sacrifice II, Siphon MP, and Firm Conviction before you bash THM. I got THM to 20 on my battle class just because of those skills. :lol

As for going to Mor Dhona, I went there with Zabian Zarad awhile back when I was a rank 16 archer. It was quite a fun walk at that rank. I haven't even seen Zab in awhile now, like so many others he has vanished without saying goodbye and we won't know if he ever comes back.

DrDogg

My THM is 18, so I don't have Sac II, but my CON is 23. Judging by the amount of healing I have to do sometimes, I can't imagine Sac II providing enough healing potency to solo heal a party.

Also, THM debuffs simply don't last long enough to warrant the party spot. You'd be better off getting another DD in the scenario I described (no CON sub).

Obviously 99% of THM players are going to have CON leveled as well, which makes THM essentially as useful as CON. My point is that without any sub, THM is fairly useless.

Teknoman

Babalu. said:
I think it will be ok until the big guns hit next year.

Tera online
Old republic
Guild wars 2

That will absolutely MURDER this game if they have subscription fees by then unless they REALLY and I mean REALLY change this game up.

That is, if those are all they are cracked up to be as well. Guild Wars 2, i'm sure will be awesome because of the first game...but the other two still have to prove themselves.

DrDogg said:
My THM is 18, so I don't have Sac II, but my CON is 23. Judging by the amount of healing I have to do sometimes, I can't imagine Sac II providing enough healing potency to solo heal a party.

Also, THM debuffs simply don't last long enough to warrant the party spot. You'd be better off getting another DD in the scenario I described (no CON sub).

Obviously 99% of THM players are going to have CON leveled as well, which makes THM essentially as useful as CON. My point is that without any sub, THM is fairly useless.
I don't have any skills from my CON sub anymore (we have a CON healer in our static party, I don't need to do any healing except in emergencies). My debuffs last long enough during the fight to be useful - make sure you've got a decent amount of INT and PIE, and having the element points for those spells might help too, not sure. I do prebuff right before a fight with Sacrifice II, since the Regen is so darn nice (it doesn't last all that long, but it helps the start of the fight).

Bento

Teknoman said:
That is, if those are all they are cracked up to be as well. Guild Wars 2, i'm sure will be awesome because of the first game...but the other two still have to prove themselves.
Agreed and will go on to say that Guild Wars 2 will also have prove itself. All MMOs seem promising far before their release but as that release date comes closer and closer the cracks start show up as features get scrapped and bugs, imbalances and other issues remain unattended. And as shown by SE, having made a good MMO in the past doesn't guarantee a good follow up if you leave your comfort zone (Arena.nets first non-instanced mmo world right?).

nataku

Bento said:
Agreed and will go on to say that Guild Wars 2 will also have prove itself. All MMOs seem promising far before their release but as that release date comes closer and closer the cracks start show up as features get scrapped and bugs, imbalances and other issues remain unattended. And as shown by SE, having made a good MMO in the past doesn't guarantee a good follow up if you leave your comfort zone (Arena.nets first non-instanced mmo world right?).

Eh, GW2 was already way, way more polished in just it's demo than FFXIV was at Gamescom (when it was a month from release). I have no worries about Arenanet. They refuse to even speculate on a release date until they're happy with where the game is.

Anyway, I'm keeping a close eye on what happens in FFXIV with the new staff changes. I don't think I've ever been more disappointed in a game, so I'm curious how things will turn out and how quickly they attempt to turn things around. Despite the free months, I still can't even bring myself to log in to play. I tried after the November patch and crashed on a levequest and didn't bother logging back in.

Jinko

Teknoman said:

It goes both ways, FF14 didn't really have to prove itself because of FF11 and see how that went down.

I hear really good things about Tera (beta), it could end up like Aion I suppose, but the developers seem a lot more competent than SE have been with FF14.

Cmagus

I don't know if anyone has made it to the cap but is Ifirit in the game yet ? Just found him in the model viewer and was curious he looks pretty badass

Teknoman

Cmagus said:
I don't know if anyone has made it to the cap but is Ifirit in the game yet ? Just found him in the model viewer and was curious he looks pretty badass

Ifrit and Titan are supposed to be, but as special enemies at some point.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Megaton said:
Hey guys, I may be getting a buddy pass to try out the game soon, is there anybody left playing on Lindblum?

A few of us are yeah. Send me a tell when you get on (Dega Emenis) and I'll invite you to the LS.

Prepare for Miracle Patch™ 2: Electric Boogaloo!

The Lodestone said:
During the times listed below, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 15, 2010 from 13:00 to 16:00 (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

Teknoman

:lol What would Miracle Patch 3's subtitle be (the one at the end of December)?

EDIT: 15th better be patch day. This is as middle of December as they can get.

Cmagus said:

Many people have made it to the cap. Most of them actually hit the cap before the November patch which screwed up party SP.

http://www.ffxivpro.com/achievements/job
(Pick Lindblum in the upper left corner.)

You meet Ifrit during the rank 38 story quest.
You don't fight him but you do have a nice little chat with him about deep personal issues.

nataku

So that patch on the 15th could just be the Starlight event then, huh.

I might log in to check it out, since I'll have a few days off work pretty soon.

Cmagus said:

Yeah in the rank 38 cutscene I believe. Ifrit makes mentions of others also such as Titan, Leviathon, etc.

DrDogg said:

THM is really not that bad. You can easily solo heal a party with nothing but Sac and Sac II. THM has some pretty good stuff. I do agree the debuffs need to last longer but the dots and absorbs are pretty nice. Firm Conviction is great, and I also do a nice amount of dmg as well.

Coming from someone who has a 50 CON and a 33 THM you are somewhat right about the sub thing. But honestly, with THM overall casting range, width and length they own CON all day long. Once I get my THM to 50 I will probably never play on my CON ever again, unless theres some reason too.

I kind of thought you were higher rank, with a lot of the comments you make :lol

Teknoman

For those that cant view lodestone:

Monster Distribution

Further adjustments to monster territory are currently underway. In particular, significant changes are being made to the placement and population of aggressive monsters in relation to gathering points to better ensure that Disciples of the Land can log, fish, and mine without fear of attack.

The December version update marks the return of two FINAL FANTASY series favorites—goblins and flan.

Goblin

321_0.jpg

With their oddly shaped gas masks and over-sized packs, goblins are one of the most easily recognizable beast tribes in Eorzea. For generations, commerce between the city-states and goblins was commonplace, making up an important facet to the economy, until one day, the whole tribe simply up and left, abandoning their cities and leaving no indication of where they were going or when they would return. Now, several decades later, the quirky beast tribe of crafters and gatherers has begun its migration back into Eorzea, but are the five races ready for them?

Flan

321_1.jpg

The unique characteristics of this creature include a gelatinous outer-layer of protective flesh that can alter its aspect to varying elements depending on the flan's disposition, a gaping maw capable of devouring small land beastkin in a single swallow, and a pair of sinister eyes that some say can gaze straight into one's soul. The species is commonly classified as a voidsent, or not of this world; due to the flan's advanced cognitive abilities and its uncanny ability to mimic basic speech, however, there are some naturalists and scholars who believe the species may be actually related to man.

Notorious Monsters

In the past weeks, several topics posts were released detailing notorious monsters (NMs) that will be appearing in upcoming faction levequests. Today's post, however, will be covering those NMs not bound by guildleves; those NMs that roam unchecked through the wilds of Aldenard and Vylbrand. Some are simply large, while others are utterly towering. Some wield foul magicks, while others deliver devastating strikes. Some will only appear at certain times of the day, while others will wait for a certain type of weather before emerging. The one trait, however, that they all have in common is that their strength is "impossible to gauge," and therefore should not, by any means, be underestimated. Adventurers with the courage to take on these nefarious creatures should do so with the utmost caution...though, a few companions to even the odds would not hurt, as well, for only those who survive the challenge will reap the spoils that await.

Uraeus

321_2.jpg

Appearing in ancient religious manuscripts as loyal servant to the sun goddess, Azeyma the Warden, this peiste is unique in that its brilliant silver scales reflect the light, making it seem that the creature is constantly emitting a radiant glow. Many a hunter has set out into the mountains in pursuit of this scalekin's rare skin, only to succumb to the monster's razor-sharp fangs, nail-like claws, and lethal poison.

Territory
Coerthas Eastern Lowlands
Drops
Uraeus Skin

Great Buffalo

321_3.jpg

Thought to be an ancient relative of the common water buffalo, great buffalo have an average lifespan of over three hundred years and can grow to a height of over six yalms. During the Age of Endless Frost, enormous herds of these colossal beastkin, would migrate back and forth across the frozen wastes in search of forage, but climate change, hunting, and disease has caused their numbers to gradually dwindle, and now only a few of the hoary creatures are known to remain on Vylbrand. Their thick hides are almost impossible to penetrate, and it is rumored that the weapons of champions unsuccessful in felling the beasts can sometimes be found still lodged under the shaggy coats.

Territory
Western La Noscea
Drops
Bloody Lance Head

Dodore

321_4.jpg

The unmatched wit and cunning of this cyclopean ahriman has earned him a hoard of loyal minions who follow Dodore as he wreaks his havoc on the countryside. While the common classification for ahriman is voidsent, that has not prevented some rogue scholars to proclaim that Dodore's supple Hyur-like flesh and single Lalafell-like eye proves the creature is a chimera, begotten in some dark laboratorium by the blasphemous experimentations of a twisted thaumaturge.

Territory
Mor Dhona
Drops
Dodore Wing

Elder Mosshorn

321_5.jpg

For reasons unknown to naturalists, there are certain aldgoats which do not display the short, two-decade lifespans that are most commonly exhibited in their cousins. For this they are given the name mosshorn aldgoat, and can be easily recognized not only by their enormous size, but also their beautifully curved horns, which are said to collect colonies of moss over the many years of their growth. What is even more intriguing, is that these aldgoats will often become "aware" that they are different early in their lives, and leave their respective packs in search of other mosshorns.

Territory
Western Thanalan
Drops
Mossy Horn

* The aforementioned data is still under development and may change before the time of their release.

So far it seems like most of the monsters only drop crafting materials...however I really hope that changes or they just arent revealing all the possible drops at once. Cool that they arent pop monsters, and only show up during certain weather or time of day.

Also dat buffalo.

EDIT: I know people are going to complain that they can stick chocobos in reindeer hats but they still arent accessible to ride :lol

Ravidrath

Love me some goblins and flans.

The description makes it sound like Flans can wallchange mid-battle? That could make for some awesome NM fights.

Patch on the 15th was actually a bit sooner than I expected, too - can't wait to read the change list.

FrankNitty said:
Coming from someone who has a 50 CON and a 33 THM you are somewhat right about the sub thing. But honestly, with THM overall casting range, width and length they own CON all day long. Once I get my THM to 50 I will probably never play on my CON ever again, unless theres some reason too.

Well, the THM AoE is a cone projecting from the THM. The CON AoE is a circle around the target. So it depends a lot on how well your party cooperates with you when you tell them to not scatter all around the mob, and also to not stand behind you or right next to you where your THM AoE will not hit them when you heal. If you can get your party to cooperate, THM is a way better healer than CON. I would still get both Cure II and Sac II on a THM main just so I had 2 healing spells though.

Because the THM AoE projects from the THM, a THM will always successfully heal himself when he casts. However since the CON AoE is a circle around the target, if the CON is outside the circle's range he will fail to heal himself when he heal the party if he is too far away from the target. This was an endless source of frustration for CONs back when there were raptor parties because they had to stand close enough for their own AoE to hit them but not so close that the raptor would oneshot them when they attack. Meanwhile the THM could stand just about wherever and hit himself and the whole party which was so conveniently clumped right in front of the raptor's mouth. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom