• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

MomoPufflet said:
I didn't get the impression that you'll need to have the item to search for it from the announcement at all, but knowing S-E it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Considering that they seem to have a robust item database setup in the game, i.e. the one crafting recipes reference, I think that's probably just XI bitterness speaking.

Rentahamster said:
If all SE did was make all the wards automatically update to YG, that would be fine by me. Having the exact price that the seller wants to sell for would solve the guesswork mess of FF11's AH, and the retainer system would make it harder for bots.

Seems like it would be a simple enough fix.

I'm opening a whole other can of worms here, but listings on YG have their own problems (undercutting and contributing to deflation to name a couple). You can argue that undercutting is a reality of a free market, but the 1-50 gear market is-- after only 3 months-- already so massively oversaturated that the last thing we need is people undercutting even more. This is why the wards search will very likely not list prices when you search for an item.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MomoPufflet said:
I'm opening a whole other can of worms here, but listings on YG have their own problems (undercutting and contributing to deflation to name a couple). You can argue that undercutting is a reality of a free market, but the 1-50 gear market is-- after only 3 months-- already so massively oversaturated that the last thing we need is people undercutting even more. This is why the wards search will very likely not list prices when you search for an item.
And the problem with players finding what they want...

1. more cheaply

2. more quickly

...is?

(Coming from someone who used to sell stuff like Apkallu Down, Crab Shells, and Scale Glue for 100k, but now sell it for 10-30k)

Rentahamster said:
And the problem with players finding what they want...

1. more cheaply

2. more quickly

...is?

(Coming from someone who used to sell stuff like Apkallu Down, Crab Shells, and Scale Glue for 100k, but now sell it for 10-30k)

Cheaper than what? Gear and mats are already dirt, dirt cheap. Money is incredibly easy to get doing almost anything. I already said massive deflation would be the problem with the economy the way it is right now.

MomoPufflet said:
Cheaper than what? Gear and mats are already dirt, dirt cheap. Money is incredibly easy to get doing almost anything. I already said massive deflation would be the problem with the economy the way it is right now.

And massive inflation was the problem on launch month. It shouldn't be 100k for level 10 hats.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MomoPufflet said:
Cheaper than what?
Cheaper than what? What do you mean by that? As a consumer you want to buy the item you want for as low a price as you can get it, as quickly as you can get it. The cheaper the better. The more convenient the better.

YG's handy interface is a step in that direction, and if it somehow had the magical ability to auto-update the wards instantly into its database, then that would be a fine system to have.

YG is great right now, but the only problem is that not everyone is listed and not everything is up to date. Solve those two issues, and we're all good.

SE would never release an API for that though...

Nakazato said:
all i want is chocobos is that so much to ask for :(
Apparently, yes :lol

Are you even reading my posts? :lol You just latch onto one sentence and ignore everything else I type, so there's no point explaining it again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MomoPufflet said:
Are you even reading my posts? :lol You just latch onto one sentence and ignore everything else I type, so there's no point explaining it again.
Yes, I am reading your posts. I didn't ignore what you wrote, as my earlier statements pertain to what you wrote.

You're worried about massive deflation. I said that potential deflation is less of a problem than the current situation of not being able to find what you want quickly (the biggest problem) at a reasonable price (minor problem).

If deflation is a result of making the market ward system easier to use and less frustrating for players, so be it. Fun and convenience trumps all.

If deflation is a result of players being able to buy the stuff that they want at a cheaper price, then so be it.

You said that gear and mats are already dirt cheap but the reality is that they're not for most things. If they were, I wouldn't be hearing people asking for mats every 20 minutes in my various LS chats.

Most people don't know what the going market rate for stuff is, because if they did, you wouldn't have idiots trying to sell their NQ bronze gladius for 50k.

All the market ward system does is spread confusion, inconvenience, and ignorance amongst buyers and sellers, allowing some to make a profit while everyone else is stuck with their thumbs up their asses and either list their wares in an unproductive manner, or just give up on the ward system entirely.

Jinko

YG's handy interface is a step in that direction, and if it somehow had the magical ability to auto-update the wards instantly into its database, then that would be a fine system to have.

I posted about 3 weeks ago that YG has released an autoupdater, which syncs all the retainers you visit with their website. (or is that what you meant :S ?)

http://ffxiv.yg.com/yg-updater

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
I posted about 3 weeks ago that YG has released an autoupdater, which syncs all the retainers you visit with their website. (or is that what you meant :S ?)

http://ffxiv.yg.com/yg-updater
Yeah, I know about the YG Updater application, but that requires a third party app running, and it is only as useful as the number of people using it.

What I would like to see is a a blatant ripoff of YG's interface on the Lodestone site, with instant, automatic updates, negating the need to manually update your retainer status.

I'd also like to be able to manage my bazaar, my retainers' bazaars, and my and my retainers' inventories from a Lodestone web interface.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Yeah, I know about the YG Updater application, but that requires a third party app running, and it is only as useful as the number of people using it.

What I would like to see is a a blatant ripoff of YG's interface on the Lodestone site, with instant, automatic updates, negating the need to manually update your retainer status.

I'd also like to be able to manage my bazaar, my retainers' bazaars, and my and my retainers' inventories from a Lodestone web interface.

I'm not really a fan of web-based content, yg has done a very good job and an actual in game database like that would work really well for FF14.

EQ2 had a cool little marketplace system that was similar to YG but in game and directed you to players housing to buy the item.

SE really haven't done their homework and its blatantly obvious, you really can't make an MMO in 2010 and not look at what others previous MMO's have done.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
I'm not really a fan of web-based content, yg has done a very good job and an actual in game database like that would work really well for FF14.

EQ2 had a cool little marketplace system that was similar to YG but in game and directed you to players housing to buy the item.

SE really haven't done their homework and its blatantly obvious, you really can't make an MMO in 2010 and not look at what others previous MMO's have done.
Oh, I should have said that I want an in-game interface too, of course, but an additional web-based interface to satisfy those who don't have access to the game client at any particular moment would be great too.

DrDogg

Is this the patch that's fixing the issue in which retainers are removed after a server update? That needs to be fixed, along with the constant Ward crashing issue. If these problems aren't addressed it almost won't matter if we get a search.

Also, rank 1-50 gear is not saturated at all. It's VERY difficult to find gear under 30. I almost don't even bother anymore and just opt to craft it myself or ask in the LS.

jiggle

the ward sucks
they just need to give it up
no amount of perfume can make this pile of dung smell any better

needed silver buckle, sheepskin outsoles, and bronze nails the other day
using YG, it took over 1 hour and 4 animas
and all i found were the nails
eventually had to waste another hour getting the other 2 made from scratch
infuriating, really

jiggle said:
the ward sucks
they just need to give it up
no amount of perfume can make this pile of dung smell any better

needed silver buckle, sheepskin outsoles, and bronze nails the other day
using YG, it took over 1 hour and 4 animas
and all i found were the nails
eventually had to waste another hour getting the other 2 made from scratch
infuriating, really
But with the search that would have taken just a few minutes

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
But with the search that would have taken just a few minutes

That really depends on whether you can say for example search Gridania and Ul'dah if you are currently in Limsa.

This search feature isn't guna be anywhere as good as it needs to be and is going to be riddled with problems.

The fact that this is just the first phase of what they plan to implement also makes it sound more like a band-aid than an actual fix.

jiggle

i'm getting a migraine just thinking about it

searches for multiple items
tries to memorize all the retainer names that have what i need and what ward they're in
goes to said ward
waits 5 seconds for retainers around me to load up
looks for the retainer i need
takes 3 steps forward
waits again for more retainers to load
once i find what i need, time to move to the next ward and repeat
kill me now

Ravidrath

jiggle said:
i'm getting a migraine just thinking about it

searches for multiple items
tries to memorize all the retainer names that have what i need and what ward they're in
goes to said ward
waits 5 seconds for retainers around me to load up
looks for the retainer i need
takes 3 steps forward
waits again for more retainers to load
once i find what i need, time to move to the next ward and repeat
kill me now

They're going to have giant icons over their heads saying THE THING YOU WANT IS HERE, so you won't need to memorize names.

...Everything else is more or less accurate, though. :p

Ravidrath

I'm the only Mysidia person... right?

Are there secret Mysidia brethren here?

Can we start our GAF LS on Mysidia, "Big Whale," at long last? :eek:

Jinko

@ Jiggle hopefully they have some priority load system, where the retainers with icons above their heads will load up first.

But then common sense rarely comes into it where SE are concerned.

This'll finally get people selling the right stuff in the right wards, because the wrong stuff won't be searchable. And they are putting dots on your minimap showing the sellers, so even if they haven't popped yet you can still find em.

Ravidrath

Damn, it looks like they still haven't fixed Autotarget?

Dreamwriter said:
This'll finally get people selling the right stuff in the right wards, because the wrong stuff won't be searchable. And they are putting dots on your minimap showing the sellers, so even if they haven't popped yet you can still find em.

I'm hoping that's the case, but it might not be true... I think out in the field monsters' dots don't appear until the monster has loaded?

I don't think you should have to select a Ward first - there's no reason to make us remember all the items that can be bought in each Ward.

How about just having us select the item type/item, and automatically take us to the correct ward?

I guess it's better for people wanting to sell in a particular ward, by reinforcing what goes where? But it's an unnecessary step for buyers.

Ravidrath said:
all the items that can be bought in each Ward.

How about just having us select the item type/item, and automatically take us to the correct ward?

I guess it's better for people wanting to sell in a particular ward, by reinforcing what goes where? But it's an unnecessary step for buyers.
Then we'd have some gigantic lists to step through to find the item types we want. I like this idea a lot better (I mean, how much work does it really take to remember that hats and helmets are sold in the hatter's row? I don't want to have to skip down item by item until I get to the 8 things sold in the hatter's row)

But that's what we are doing, we're just choosing the name of a place that represents the broad item type first, and it's a slightly less broad category.

Jinko

Now they need to make it so that players can sell their items in multiple wards. :lol (a system where your item is placed in the correct ward)

But then thats just an AH which is what we should have had from the start.

But that's what we are doing, we're just choosing the name of a place that represents the broad item type first, and it's a slightly less broad category.

It's still not the same as FF11 AH categories.

DrDogg

From the looks of things, this update was just for the Wards search and some bug fixes? I guess that's why the original "one" December update was split into "two". I'm okay with that as long as it means the search will work well. We'll see... although not sure if I'll be online tonight.

Jinko

As I feared it makes selling even more complicated becase you have to make sure your item is in the correct ward to appear in the list.

It's almost impossible to do this if you are selling lots of different items types. (which most people are)

It's still really time consuming from a sellers point of view, I just wana sell my stuff quickly with no hassle !

Is much better from a buyers perspective now though.

From a seller's prospective too - I've had problems selling anything because people just can't find my guy in the crowd, and when I put him where he belongs (hatter's ward), nobody ever finds him. This will really help that.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
As I feared it makes selling even more complicated becase you have to make sure your item is in the correct ward to appear in the list.

Yeah, this was expected, but I think it just means if you're going to bother putting a guy in the ward, you should fill it up with multiple items of the same type, if not the same item.

If anything, that will make it even easier to find what you're looking for, because it'll be less likely you're finding the only one.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
Yeah, this was expected, but I think it just means if you're going to bother putting a guy in the ward, you should fill it up with multiple items of the same type, if not the same item.

If anything, that will make it even easier to find what you're looking for, because it'll be less likely you're finding the only one.

Yeah, people who sell ore usually have a ton of different ore. Same for harvest mats, and other things. If you've just got random stuff you got from monsters, and not stacks of it...just npc it.

DrDogg

"Just NPC it..." is not a valid solution. Just like this search is not a valid solution.

It doesn't really make it easier for anyone other than the hardcore (granted that's all that are left, but still...). Even now I don't always know which wards things go into. And I think it's asking a lot for people to focus on selling a certain type of item.

Sure, if you have a gathering job, you have a lot of ore that you may want to sell. Or if you're ranking Alchemy, maybe you have a lot of dye you want to sell. But what about when I'm upgrading armor? I'd have one piece from every armor slot and maybe a weapon as well. Do I really have to move my retainer to a new ward every time I sell something?

This system is a complete failure from every aspect. I understand SE wants an alternative to the AH, but this is not it. And if this is the best SE can do, just give us a damn AH and call it a day.

EDIT: On a positive note. The update downloaded and installed really fast. :lol

DrDogg said:
It doesn't really make it easier for anyone other than the hardcore (granted that's all that are left, but still...). Even now I don't always know which wards things go into.
I still don't understand this. What's there to know? It's pretty obvious what things go where, and if you aren't completely sure, when you go to search choose your best guess and you'll see all the categories and realize you were wrong and go to your second choice, which will be correct. It took me all of 10 minutes to find a new robe and belt just now, including the time to run to the wards, didn't require anything hardcore. Hardcore was the way it was before where you had to go around browsing every single retainer in a ward.

DrDogg said:
But what about when I'm upgrading armor? I'd have one piece from every armor slot and maybe a weapon as well. Do I really have to move my retainer to a new ward every time I sell something?
Well, most of your different armor types will go in the same ward, so no problem there. And for your weapon, you can use a second retainer (you are allowed two retainers now, remember).

Jinko

I don't NPC anything if I can help it.

The fact remains that selling is still immensly time consuming.

I have to transfer items to a retainer, then look up on YG for prices because there is no way of knowing the prices in game.

And now I need to make sure what I'm selling is in the correct ward otherwise people won't find it.

If we compare this to FF11 where you could look up the history of items to get an idea of the price and then just put the item up for sale. (item is taken from your inventory no messing about)

Of course this is going over old ground though, market wards suck plain and simple and SE are just wasting time trying to polish this turd of an idea.

I duno why SE won't allow us to use our retainers as personal auctioneers, list 10 items which are then put up on a centralised marketplace, scrap the marketwards completely and give us player housing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Babalu. said:
Underwhelmed...
Hey you still want the Apkallu Down? I sent your char a message the other day but I think you were AFK.

I've since sold them all, but I can go genocide more pengins no prob.

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there any legitimate reason why Square put such restrictive limits on the number of hunts or gathering/crafting quests you can perform in a day?

If I put stat points into STR/DEX/VIT while leveling my Pugilist, are those stats locked in place for all jobs?

Is the aetherstonewhateveritiscalled the only thing that explains what the stats do in this game?

Is there any way to naturally regenerate MP while out in the field?

When you are in a party and your teammate walks a few feet out of range of your minimap, is there really no indicator as to which direction they walked off in? (like an arrow or peg on the minimap that points to where they are)

Is the color-coded orb mechanic ever explained in the game? (i.e. when the orb is red you have a greater chance to fail that turn and should "Wait" that turn)

How do you select a different tab on a window using a gamepad? (e.g. the loot and currency tabs in the Inventory window)

How do you scroll up/down the chat window with a gamepad?

Is crafting the best/only way to get equipment upgrades?

Is there a way to buy crafting recipes?

Do the recipes remain in your list indefinitely? ("Recent Recipes" hints otherwise)

All crafting recipes need crystals/shards? How do you know which crystals you will get from enemies/jobs/gathering?

So many questions...this game leaves so much unexplained (or doesn't communicate existing explanations well).

Gattsu25 said:
If I put stat points into STR/DEX/VIT while leveling my Pugilist, are those stats locked in place for all jobs?
You can redo a bunch of stats any time you want.

Gattsu25 said:
Is there any way to naturally regenerate MP while out in the field?
There are spells which do it. If you use the Aetheryte Crystal it'll do it. If you finish a Leve it'll do it.

Gattsu25 said:
When you are in a party and your teammate walks a few feet out of range of your minimap, is there really no indicator as to which direction they walked off in? (like an arrow or peg on the minimap that points to where they are)
Look at the big map, it'll show their location

Gattsu25 said:
How do you select a different tab on a window using a gamepad? (e.g. the loot and currency tabs in the Inventory window)
Depends on how your controller is mapped, for me the shoulder buttons do it.

Gattsu25 said:
So many questions...this game leaves so much unexplained (or doesn't communicate existing explanations well).
Have you checked the Lodestone? The game makes it pretty obvious you are supposed to check there, has a huge banner to it right from the login screen and is mentioned a few times in the instruction manual. Speaking of which the instruction manual also explains some of the things you were asking.

Teknoman

Read "Call to adventure" at any local Aetheryte (the big crystal). Also whenever you enter a ward, it tells you exactly what items are supposed to be there. As far as player housing, thats just going to be tied in with all the Company related stuff.

Oh and now you can buy rank 1-20 equipment from NPC shops at the market wards.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Gattsu25 said:
questions

Read through the various "ask the devs" on the lodestone for a lot of answers.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/index

You can respec every so often, you have to wait around an hour-ish between respecs.

Info regarding stat caps:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/100393-Stat-Caps-Data-collection

These are what the stats do:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=92e2a2ee13f174b5a6f5f658135e1bf4ab725f29

Generally, cap your VIT, then MND if you're a mage, then balance out your other stats according to your needs, and optimize for food if you consume it.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/top?cicuid=6441256

Best way to regen MP in this game is with the Thaumatuge skill Siphon MP. You get it at rank 20.

white orb = best chance of success

yellow orb = reduced success, higher chance of critical success

red orb = low chance of success, higher chance of critical sucess

flashing = random

Enemies that are aligned with a particular element give more crystals of that element. When gathering, the shards you get are determined by the highest elemental stat you have.

Go here for a list of recipes and other useful info.

http://ffxiv.yg.com/

Teknoman

The search doesnt show all the retainers that have the item and the listed price? I havent had the chance to update yet, but the search sounded like it would just be pretty close to the way you looked up items on the AH, aside from not having the rest of the AH's functionality.

I don't think the AH ever had set prices either, so people just kinda made up the prices as they went along, until they started to stabilize on what people were willing to pay, unless i'm mistaken. Thats why I always asked how people decided what to price items in XI during it's early days.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The search doesn't show the price.

You search for any given item, and then when you go into the wards, it'll put an icon above all the retainers selling that item - even retainers that aren't in the proper ward for that item.

So, if you search, and see that there are 6 ppl selling an iron gladius, and go to the battlecraft ward and find only 4 ppl with that item, you then must look through all the other possible wards to find the other retainers with the icon above their heads.

Rentahamster said:
You search for any given item, and then when you go into the wards, it'll put an icon above all the retainers selling that item - even retainers that aren't in the proper ward for that item.

So, if you search, and see that there are 6 ppl selling an iron gladius, and go to the battlecraft ward and find only 4 ppl with that item, you then must look through all the other possible wards to find the other retainers with the icon above their heads.
I don't think that's correct - it's not listing the number of people with the item, it's listing the number of items. If it says there are 6 iron gladius' and you see 4 people with them, a couple of those people probably have two of them for sale. That's been my experience, anyways (and so far the numbers always added up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom