• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

Gotta love how Londa goes out of her way in this topic to argue over nothing and then complains about how the topic of conversation always switches to her.

It's like a broken record, happens every single time she posts some nonsense or starts bickering for no reason.

Londa

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
Other posters might not be able to ban, but plenty of people have been permed on GAF for being excessively and/or persistently annoying.

I understand that there are people who want to be liked by the people they meet on the internet. Even if they never meet in person.

However, I'm just not one of those people.

I see nothing wrong with me taking part in the discussion of FFXIV. Some feel that I am wrong by doing so.

If these people feel that I am doing something wrong. Then shouldn't they talk to the mods instead of attacking me for giving out my opinion on the new updates, followed by saying I need to be banned?

From a real world perspective:
Is it right to tell someone that they should be removed from an area/room/neighborhood because you dislike them?

On Topic: I wish that they had not put the bell ringing in the New Years event. I was hoping for something like the New Years event in FFXI. I really wanted to fish for goldfish and get robes.

notworksafe

^ I feel like this post was predicted just recently... :lol

Now Londa will disappear until the next time someone makes a legitimate complaint agains FFXIV, when she will show up to tell them that they clearly don't understand the way the game was meant to be played. And the circle of trolling will begin anew.

Londa said:
Is it right to tell someone that they should be removed from an area/room/neighborhood because you dislike them?

If they are drunk, naked, and urinating on passersby (the real world equivalent of your nuisance) then yes, it is right for them to be removed.

Jinko

Londa said:

I duno, is it wrong ?

I understand that there are people who want to be liked by the people they meet on the internet. Even if they never meet in person.

However, I'm just not one of those people.

TBF most people don't care if they are liked on the internet, that doesn't mean they will act like a dick just to draw attention to themselves.

Londa

Banned
MomoPufflet said:
If they are drunk, naked, and urinating on passersby (the real world equivalent of your nuisance) then yes, it is right for them to be removed.

I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Disliking someone just because of who they are. Being drunk, naked, and urinating is not someone's personality or who they are.

I'm far from being like that. I honestly think you are making things up.

Salaadin

Londa said:
I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Disliking someone just because of who they are. Being drunk, naked, and urinating is not someone's personality or who they are.

I'm far from being like that. I honestly think you are making things up.

Never been to New York, I see.

Teknoman

I go to work, come back, and people are talking about being drunk and urinating :lol

Seriously though, we wont here about any more real adventure style content until the very end of December/early January at the latest. Until then, im just trying to take it easy, knock out backlog/new stuff. Hopefully i'm off work tomorrow so I can mess around more before the New years stuff starts.

hgplayer1

Isnt there a SOD forum somewhere?

Is there any discussion going on there?

I know nobody bothers to post in the Lodestone forums.

Im just about done with this thread.

jiggle

lttp
the market ward still sucks
once in a while i'd get lucky and find what i want instantly
and to add insult to injury
i can't remember the last time my retainers are where i left them the night before
does the ward crash every single night or what?
makes the search feature pretty useless if ppl's retainers are constantly getting kicked out

notworksafe

Unknown Soldier said:
there is an SoD forum but nobody posts there, either.

If you want to experience a Londa-free discussion, I suggest the linkshell chat in-game.
So the only place to talk about the game that Londa supposedly loves so much without her obnoxiousness is in-game? :lol

Margalis

Banned
When I try to summon my retainer in the middle tailors ward to sell some junk I made I get a message that says "you cannot summon any more retainers here" or something like that. Does that mean I already have a retainer set up in that same ward? If so, how do I cancel them or find them?

Jinko

jiggle said:
makes the search feature pretty useless if ppl's retainers are constantly getting kicked out

This is a fairly big annoyance, I assume they plan to sort this out soon, but then if they didn't have some way of resetting the wards it could become clogged up over time.

They need to make it so that any sale (not retainer) last 1 real week before it is reset.

His favorite FF is 7 since it is close to what he wants to do with XIV.

Expect things to change massively... for some probably not for the best.

There is also talk of Yoshida having thought about the possibility of a Test Server.

I think this is the best idea I have heard them suggest, getting direct feedback before a patch is really important for any MMO.

Seems he likes the idea of addons, (player made auction houses, here we come :D)

Jinko said:
This is a fairly big annoyance, I assume they plan to sort this out soon, but then if they didn't have some way of resetting the wards it could become clogged up over time.

I think they already reset the wards on a schedule (weekly?) to clear them out, but it's overshadowed by the fact that they crash all the time anyway.

Teknoman

Jinko said:

They need to make it so that any sale (not retainer) last 1 real week before it is reset.

Expect things to change massively... for some probably not for the best.

I think this is the best idea I have heard them suggest, getting direct feedback before a patch is really important for any MMO.

Seems he likes the idea of addons, (player made auction houses, here we come :D)

Woo more mechanical and genetically altered monsters! :D Why is there an image of Tactics Ogre in there? Also hopefully the full translation hits soon.

More indepth from a Zam poster:

They talk about quests and how there is no real "path to follow" they are just kind of scattered here and there. Yoshida responds by saying he wants to stream line the quests and such a bit. But at the same time he mentions that higher level players that have a better understanding are helping the younger players along and those higher level players are going to want more content to do as well.

There is also talk of Yoshida having thought about the possibility of a Test Server.

Another random tidbit:

4 Gamer: [not going to TL the comment, but the question asked was] What do you think the difference between an MMO and a Consumer Game is?

Yoshida: I think of an MMO as a theme park

4 Gamer: A theme park? Could you expand on that a bit?

Yoshida: You can think of a consumer game being the "longest roller coaster in the world" or the "haunted house filled with the scariest monsters in the world." They are like specialized attractions. Attractions are what get the customers in the park. In that sense, an MMO is kind of like a theme park that is filled with rides and other attractions, and of course, your roller coasters.

Here's the bit on FFVII:

4G:(they talk a bit about what makes a FF and Yoshida responds by saying you really don't have an FF. Everyone has their own favorite FF as they are all made by different people and have different elements to them which leads to..."

4G: By the way, what is your favorite FF?

Yoshida: I liked FFVII. I would like to make an MMO close to as powerful as [that game was]. The main story and mini games, even the life of the characters, everything was just an awesome fusion of power. It had an impact that North American and European consumers still haven't forgotten. If we can put such powerful contents into Eozora, I'm sure FFXIV will have a firm hold as an MMORPG.

Londa

Banned
Enough with FFVII already. Just make a full remake instead of mentioning it in interviews etc.

I'm curious as to what they will say Jan 1st.

Teknoman

I think max on both is 50 atm? Also looking forward to the big new year post.

Other note worthy things:

The new director really likes the Diablo series, played Ultima Online and Dark age of Camelot.

hgplayer1

Hm I hadnt thought about it until now really but I guess at physical level cap youll be done gaining attribute points?

I guess this is where those traits will come in handy that let you swap attributes?

Teknoman

hgplayer1 said:
Hm I hadnt thought about it until now really but I guess at physical level cap youll be done gaining attribute points?

I guess this is where those traits will come in handy that let you swap attributes?

Probably, unless they come up with some sort of bonus point system.

hgplayer1 said:

You can still reallocate your stat points every 45 minutes at the cap. But at some point you have so many guild marks you might as well spend them on the stat change traits.

Jinko

Im curious if they allow you to transfer your base stats though (has anyone tried yet ?), if thats the case the most we can expect to gain is 16 points from each stat pool.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
hgplayer1 said:

We got a couple 50s, one of us is 50 in TWO classes, and me and a few others are in the late 40s. Yeah, at phys level 50 you will hit the cap and can't get any more points after that. I really wish they'd raise the cap for phys level at least.

hgplayer1

I'm really starting to wonder how it will work when you want to change classes from a rank 50 to another rank 50.

Equipping the traits that give you the attribute swap oughta be easy enough but how much of a hassle will it be to move around the points manually?

Also can you set a macro to change attributes? And could I use the trait I get with GLA marks on THM or CON? That IS the whole point of those things right?

B.K.

I tried the benchmark last night and got a 900. Is the benchmark really a good thing to go by to determine if you can run the game or not or is it BS?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
@hg reassigning points is a pain the ass and takes forever. The higher phys level you are the longer the cooldown. Don't know why that's the case it doesn't make any sense. I can't see how any exploiting can go on by having unlimited stat respecs, especially considering how important stats are to certain things like food. Just let me respec as much and as often as'd like please.

Rentahamster said:
Just let me respec as much and as often as'd like please.

I agree with this. I'm sort of dabbling in playing THM on the side very casually, but I can't respec my points to become a mage easily just for a little while before going back to my usual ARC or MAR subjob.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
I tried the benchmark last night and got a 900. Is the benchmark really a good thing to go by to determine if you can run the game or not or is it BS?

I dont think the benchmark was the greatest indicator of how the game would run but your score is pretty low. Some people had higher scores and still claimed to have problems running the game. Im pretty sure I had a lower score than you when i first tried but I played in the beta though it was tough.

What are your PCs specs?

If the benchmark ran acceptably for you, then so will the main game. It's actually pretty accurate. Don't go just by the score though, go by how it actually performed.

Ravidrath

B.K. said:

Performance has improved a lot since the benchmark.

My 2-year-old iMac got around a 900 on the benchmark in 1080, and the game runs quite well at that resolution now.

That's with normal texture res, and just about everything else turned to the minimum. But the loss of quality is preferable to loss of resolution.

DrDogg

hgplayer1 said:
I'm really starting to wonder how it will work when you want to change classes from a rank 50 to another rank 50.

Equipping the traits that give you the attribute swap oughta be easy enough but how much of a hassle will it be to move around the points manually?

Also can you set a macro to change attributes? And could I use the trait I get with GLA marks on THM or CON? That IS the whole point of those things right?

This is what I've been saying since day one. This game is NOT more customizable than FFXI like Tanaka claimed so long ago and so many people seem to cling to. Switching between most DoW classes is okay, but try going from a DoM to a DoW and it's either a huge pain or you're playing gimped. That's not even factoring the stat benefits for DoL and DoH classes. It's a really retarded system.

At the very least they could highlight a stat when you reach max for your rank. Give me some way to know when I can pour points into other stats besides adding one point to MND and seeing if my MP goes up (which isn't even a proper determinant because MP might not go up, but Cure potency will).

I'm also really starting to dislike the action bar setup... but I'll leave that rant for another time.

B.K.

pancakesandsex said:
If the benchmark ran acceptably for you, then so will the main game. It's actually pretty accurate. Don't go just by the score though, go by how it actually performed.

It ran fairly decently. Better than I was expecting it to. The worst part was when the ship was attacked by those monsters. There was a noticeable frame rate drop, but it was still doing better than I thought it would.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Just let me respec as much and as often as'd like please.

Agree, It would make sense to have different stat configurations per class (maybe simplify it to role ?), something similar to wow for example which allows 2 talent trees for the same class.

Of course they would still need to allow you to respect incase you made a mistake, I can't see it being that hard either.

Considering the game is still in beta, they should put the testers site back up (maybe on a smaller scale), how can they make this game better or what the fans want if we cant communicate to them.

At least Yoshida understands the importance of a test server.

hgplayer1

Jinko said:
Agree, It would make sense to have different stat configurations per class (maybe simplify it to role ?), something similar to wow for example which allows 2 talent trees for the same class.

Of course they would still need to allow you to respect incase you made a mistake, I can't see it being that hard either.

Considering the game is still in beta, they should put the testers site back up (maybe on a smaller scale), how can they make this game better or what the fans want if we cant communicate to them.

At least Yoshida understands the importance of a test server.

http://support.na.square-enix.com/contacttop.php?id=902&la=1

Teknoman

The guy spent alot of time playing Diablo, Dark age of camelot, Ultima Online, and Everquest as well, so thats gotta count for something.

EDIT: What the...when was that implemented?

Suggestions & Feedback
Please submit your feedback here.

Please Note:
While we value your feedback and review each submission, we do not provide responses to these types of contacts. Thank you for your submission.

B.K. said:
It ran fairly decently. Better than I was expecting it to. The worst part was when the ship was attacked by those monsters. There was a noticeable frame rate drop, but it was still doing better than I thought it would.

The entire game is going to run like that scene on the ship.

Jinko

Yea I've used it several times but get the feeling I would have more luck talking to a brick wall, hell I felt like that even when they had the tester forums up. :lol

pancakesandsex said:
Unfortunately, that's not true. The benchmark runs a noninteractive cut scene with a lot less characters and things going on than in normal play. That's why the score exists, it's more accurate than the actual performance you see.

Of course, as has been mentioned, the game has gotten optimized quite a bit since the benchmark was created, so it should run better than the 900 would explain (which according to Square means your computer definitely isn't good enough).

Teknoman

Guess I could submit this:

Let people solo on smaller enemies, and then stuff like Drakes, Malboros, Efts, Boars, Gobbues, are group battle monsters. Would be the easiest way to make things work for both solo players and group players.

The two interviews talking about the upcoming January 1st lodestone post by the new director state that he's trying to set up something to allow better communication between the staff and players in all regions. So hopefully that means specific adjustment information as well.

Teknoman said:
Guess I could submit this:

Let people solo on smaller enemies, and then stuff like Drakes, Malboros, Efts, Boars, Gobbues, are group battle monsters. Would be the easiest way to make things work for both solo players and group players.
Is that a "quote" from one of the interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom