• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Maddness said:
Alright so I'm in the game thanks to a friend of mine who gave me a buddy pass until I can officially buy the game tomorrow. Got my stuff setup and I'm in Lindblum.

If you see Zodd Yossarian walking around that's me! I look forward to meeting you all in game! Sort of lost so far, but I'm sure I'll figure my way around and will manage to gather stuff just fine.

Remember: Check out the FFXIV lodestone website for basic info, and also check out Call to Adventure whenever examining those big crystals (Aetherytes).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maddness said:
Alright so I'm in the game thanks to a friend of mine who gave me a buddy pass until I can officially buy the game tomorrow. Got my stuff setup and I'm in Lindblum.

If you see Zodd Yossarian walking around that's me! I look forward to meeting you all in game! Sort of lost so far, but I'm sure I'll figure my way around and will manage to gather stuff just fine.
If you signed up with a Buddy Pass, you don't even need to buy the game anymore.

Jinko

DrDogg said:
I had a full set of macros back before they expanded the macro system in 11. I used them frequently, but mainly for gear changes, buffs and things of that nature. When I needed something fast I would typically use the menu. Perhaps this was because I was using a controller, but I was often times faster than keyboard uses, even in my endgame linkshells.

Also, using the macro system in this game doesn't work as well due to the stamina meter. I feel I'm much faster using the action bar, even in it's clunky state.

At the very least, I think we should have the option of using the FFXI setup.

Makes sense that you find it slow especially if you use the control pad exclusively, I tend to use the mouse, controller and keyboard whilst playing.

Clicking the action bar is much faster than using a control pad and pressing the number keys is faster again.

It's most likely that you should adapt to the way the game is set out more than the game should adapt to you.

I have started to phase the mouse out during battle now, I tend to only use it during the menu's as its much faster and acurate.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My usual battle mode playstyle goes like this:

Left hand on controller, directing character's movement.

Right hand pressing 1-0 on the action bar, F8 for closest npc lock

Right hand for pressing macro keys, as I have the G keys on my logitech keyboard bound to ctrl+1-10 and alt+1-8.

Occasional right hand use to push buttons on the controller, or change the camera, or use the mouse, etc.

Seems to work fairly well.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
Makes sense that you find it slow especially if you use the control pad exclusively, I tend to use the mouse, controller and keyboard whilst playing.

Clicking the action bar is much faster than using a control pad and pressing the number keys is faster again.

It's most likely that you should adapt to the way the game is set out more than the game should adapt to you.

I have started to phase the mouse out during battle now, I tend to only use it during the menu's as its much faster and acurate.

The problem is that I never played FFXI on PC and I'm eagerly anticipating the PS3 release of XIV so I can switch to that. I'm just not a PC gamer, so the mouse is 100% foreign to me. I don't even like using the keyboard for anything other than communication.

I never had any problems with this method of play in FFXI, and considering FFXIV is also a console game and offers (even recommends) a controller for play, I don't see why I should be forced to use a mouse and keyboard just to play adequately.

I actually expect some changes when the PS3 version hits. The game in its current state would not play well with a controller + keyboard. Even I have to use a mouse for stuff...

Canti

Think I'm really going to have to dial back my FFXIV time, at least for now (part of new year plans). Whilst I do enjoy playing (despite the problems) I have to cut back on some gaming. I'll still visit once a week or so, hope they don't introduce linkshell management
(so I'm not kicked out)
:lol

B.K.

I bought a copy today while it's down to $30 to see if I can play it. The updater is slow as hell. I found a site that has the updates to download. If I download it, where do I put the patch? It says it's going to take the update almost 20 hours to download the D2010.09.19.0000 update.

Maddness

Man. I am loving LOVING the combat. The game looks amazing and I'm just having a blast. Working on Pug.

But I feel like the first time I started playing XI back in 03 and all the Japanese players were all super rich and walking around with Lizzys and shit. I guess everything in the game is player made, and seems so expensive. I guess I just don't know how to make money.

Torquill

Probably going to finally start on Friday. I'm on Windows 7, do Windows Action Center notifications still crash the game? Do I need to turns those off still?

Jinko

Maddness said:
I guess I just don't know how to make money.

Don't worry, gil will come faster than you know what to do with it soon enough just from completing leves.

I'm sure if you are on Lindblum there are many people in this thread who will help craft you some gear/weapons.

Maddness said:
I guess I just don't know how to make money.
It's all about GuildLeve quests - they pay well, especially whenever you can start picking up higher-rank ones (rank 10, rank 20, rank 30...) Leves can also reward you with equipment directly. You can also find lower-rank equipment for sale from NPC's in town, if crafted stuff is too expensive.

After figuring out what has been causing ffxivboot to hang on me for a few weeks, I finally got this thing started up today. Barely off the boat, but I believe I'm a Falafel in the great city of Lhasa Apso. Lindblum server, character name Procht Jeuraphe.
B.K. said:
I bought a copy today while it's down to $30 to see if I can play it. The updater is slow as hell. I found a site that has the updates to download. If I download it, where do I put the patch? It says it's going to take the update almost 20 hours to download the D2010.09.19.0000 update.
Nakazato said:
^^
you can you any torrent program to DL the updates
Yeah. Look in My Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV As long as the program has connected enough to know what updates it needs, there will be different directories containing metadata folders (containing .torrent files) and patch folders (where the patch file goes). If you open the .torrent file it's got part of the directory structure right in there, so it's hard to miss where it goes even if you download it in a separate location.

I realize they need time to work on stuff with the new team, but honestly they don't have it. This "one meager update per 3-4 weeks" thing is just not working. Hire more people, sacrifice some cows, pull a magic rabbit, because the game can't survive on this insanely plodding update schedule. I know they love compiling these "epic" miracle patch updates for PR purposes, but the jig is up. Sadly I'm getting the impression they don't plan on patching the game again until March, and I am just not buying that they have absolutely nothing to show before then. Get over the fact that you're not going to get a Kotaku article for a "we fixed DoW SP" patch and DO IT.

Jinko

I agree, if the next major addition/changes are in March they're up shit creek.

I would be really curious to compare how their userbase has shrunk since release.

I log in once a week (if that) but dont consider myself an active player.

Teknoman

MomoPufflet said:
Sadly I'm getting the impression they don't plan on patching the game again until March

Why is that? It's just January 3rd...you guys made me think there was some lodestone "future promises" update again. They said they would roll out updates with an accelerated schedule (usually it was every 3 months or so with FFXI right? so i'd think that would be an update every month now), and now that most of the major technical problems are out of the way (aside from a few glitches) they've got nothing to do but UI improvements and big content updates.

At least thats how I see it.

hgplayer1

Yeah I'm not too worried about their update schedule at this point but if we don't see any news before the end of January then I'll start to worry.

DrDogg

Maddness said:
Man. I am loving LOVING the combat. The game looks amazing and I'm just having a blast. Working on Pug.

But I feel like the first time I started playing XI back in 03 and all the Japanese players were all super rich and walking around with Lizzys and shit. I guess everything in the game is player made, and seems so expensive. I guess I just don't know how to make money.

As others have said, you'll have more gil than you can possibly think of uses for soon enough. I hit 1 million gil without even trying in just a few weeks.

More importantly, what exactly are you "loving" about the combat? My PUG experience (currently rank 19) has been:

Engage mob > mash attack > use TP move > rinse/repeat

It's ridiculously boring to me... and I'm one of the few people that loved the grind in FFXI.

Dreamwriter said:
You can also find lower-rank equipment for sale from NPC's in town, if crafted stuff is too expensive.

What? I have yet to find items in the wards that are more expensive than the same items for sale from NPCs. The NPC stuff is insanely expensive.

hgplayer1

DrDogg said:
As others have said, you'll have more gil than you can possibly think of uses for soon enough. I hit 1 million gil without even trying in just a few weeks.

More importantly, what exactly are you "loving" about the combat? My PUG experience (currently rank 19) has been:

It's ridiculously boring to me... and I'm one of the few people that loved the grind in FFXI.

What? I have yet to find items in the wards that are more expensive than the same items for sale from NPCs. The NPC stuff is insanely expensive.

lol I read this as "WTF ur having fun? No way dude you better explain yourself."

Maddness

DrDogg said:

The gil is slowly starting to trickle in for me through levequests and selling stuff.

As for combat I feel like even though it is a mash scenario more so than XI was, I at least feel like I have more control over the fight than I did in XI (I loved XI's combat also). I mean in XI you auto attacked, they swing for you at intervals depending on weapon speed, and you do ws or magic. With XIV I feel like it's more real time and I can control the action more. I just think it's a way more involving combat system.

With that said, I'm a HUGE fan of a job system. I loved it in FFIV, I loved it even more in my favorite FF game (Tactics), and I loved it in XI. I do miss the more individualized aspects of characters and their jobs in XI. I just feel like even though there are different skills and classes in XIV, they don't feel as different and unique from each other as they did in XI. I also just miss summons and other skills I hope are either later in the game or implemented later, like jumping for lancer.

All in All though, I've put probably 16 hours into this weekend since I've started and have had a blast.

I'm currently:

Physical lvl: 13
Mar: 12
Pug: 13
Conj:7
Bot: 6

Teknoman said:
Why is that? It's just January 3rd...you guys made me think there was some lodestone "future promises" update again. They said they would roll out updates with an accelerated schedule (usually it was every 3 months or so with FFXI right? so i'd think that would be an update every month now), and now that most of the major technical problems are out of the way (aside from a few glitches) they've got nothing to do but UI improvements and big content updates.

At least thats how I see it.

1 update per month is what they've been doing already-- 1 per month is not 'accelerated'

Accelerated updates would be smaller updates every 1-2 weeks. If they think people will stick around for 1 update per month (or less) oh man, they have something else coming

One update per 3 months in the context of FFXIV right now would be like S-E walking directly to the bank and filing for bankruptcy, so it's a moot point.

Torquill

Torquill said:
Probably going to finally start on Friday. I'm on Windows 7, do Windows Action Center notifications still crash the game? Do I need to turns those off still?
Going to take the lack of responses as an indication that it's not a major issue anymore.

hgplayer1

Torquill said:
Going to take the lack of responses as an indication that it's not a major issue anymore.

yeah cant say I ever had that problem or know anyone that did. cant you just turn those off in Windows anyway?

actually I think i did have a little trouble with this for a short time. I think I remedied it by keep certain apps closed when playing the game so Im not sure if it got fixed.

Jinko

MomoPufflet said:
One update per 3 months in the context of FFXIV right now would be like S-E walking directly to the bank and filing for bankruptcy, so it's a moot point.

I don't thnk the failure of FF14 would bankrupt them somehow.

I agree with the rest of what you say though.

The need to start adding additional new quests or mission ever 2 weeks in my opinion starting at around rank 20. (Currently after rank 25+ the game becomes very repetitive and boring)

FF11 was extremely slow at adding content for the continuation of ToAU and WotG missions, so I'm not guna expect much different with 14.

I turned mine off back in Beta and they are still turned off, so I am unclear if they issue was fixed.

MomoPufflet said:

I don't think you understand just how much money Squenix has, or what their financial situation actually is. One bit. :lol

We're not looking at an APB situation here. Squenix could lose a bunch of money on FFXIV and the stock could continue to tank but I got news for you. Squenix is not just a developer and publisher of Japanese video games, specifically RPGs. In Japan, they are also a major publisher of manga and anime. In Europe, they own Eidos Interactive, now a part of Square-Enix Europe. In just games alone, Squenix has many revenue sources besides FFXIV, including the 5-million selling FFXIII, the millions-selling Dragon Quest franchise, and many other games. They have The 3rd Birthday, FF Versus XIII, an unnamed FF project for 3DS, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution slated for 2011 already and God knows what else on the table for this year.

Squenix is GIVING the game away right now after you've paid for the code in the box. Play is free right now indefinitely. If Squenix was in any financial trouble whatsoever, do you think they would be letting everybody play for free right now? Hell no, they would be shutting the game down if that were the case. I don't know of a single situation in all of MMOG history where the developer/publisher just decided fuck it, the game isn't done, we released it not done, SO LET'S JUST LET EVERYBODY PLAY FOR FREE UNTIL WE'VE FIXED IT. That has never ever happened before in MMOG history. But that's what Squenix is doing, right now, and you'd better believe that very few game publishing companies and developers could afford to continue develop a retail-launched game, maintain servers, and pay for all this shit while giving it to us for free.

Simply put, Squenix is not in danger of bankruptcy. They aren't even in danger of losing money more than the next quarterly results due to FFXIV. If anything, what's got them spooked right now is they are losing market value from their stock tanking but everybody who knows anything about investing knows that market value as determined by stock price is not often a good judge of a company's overall value, otherwise Apple having a bigger market capitalization than Microsoft right now would actually mean something.

Teknoman

Maddness said:
Could I meet up with someone in Ul'Dah and get a linkpearl?

Did you get the pearl? If not I think i've got the ability to give you one.

Oh and I havent had any Windows 7 troubles.

jogarrr

Hey GAF, since this is $30 on Amazon I'm thinking of picking it up. I have a few questions though:

1) How's the leveling speed? Slow? Really Slow?

2) Which city seems to be the most popular? Least popular?

3) I'm guessing the storylines for the three cities eventually meet up. How far in is that?

4) From what I saw in Beta, the early parts of the Limsa storyline seemed interesting. Does the story stay good?

5) Which are the most popular/strongest adventuring classes? Least popular/weakest adventuring classes?

6) Most popular/least popular crafting and gathering classes?

7) Is that "you can only level a single job so much in a given time frame" system still in effect?

Maddness

Teknoman said:
Did you get the pearl? If not I think i've got the ability to give you one.

Oh and I havent had any Windows 7 troubles.

I have not. Is there a mail system in the game yet? or will we just have to meet up at some point?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
jogarrr said:
Hey GAF, since this is $30 on Amazon I'm thinking of picking it up. I have a few questions though:

1) How's the leveling speed? Slow? Really Slow?

2) Which city seems to be the most popular? Least popular?

3) I'm guessing the storylines for the three cities eventually meet up. How far in is that?

4) From what I saw in Beta, the early parts of the Limsa storyline seemed interesting. Does the story stay good?

5) Which are the most popular/strongest adventuring classes? Least popular/weakest adventuring classes?

6) Most popular/least popular crafting and gathering classes?

7) Is that "you can only level a single job so much in a given time frame" system still in effect?
Leveling to 20 is pretty fast. After that it's a bit of a chore.

Uldah is the most popular.

Storylines converge at rank 20

I couldn't understand a damn word of the Limsa pirate speak and hated having to walk back and forth all over the damn place. Dunno if the other towns' stories are like that too.

You can gauge job popularity here: http://www.ffxivpro.com/achievements/job

The battle classes are more or less all good IMO.

Crafting classes are fairly evenly spread, except culinary being the least popular.

Fatigue is still in the game.

DrDogg

I just want to point out that you won't hit fatigue unless you grind.

I grinded all day long in FFXI, but due to the fact that I find this game mindless and boring, I haven't grinded at all. I have NEVER hit fatigue, at all.

You can check my character data here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1558891

I play pretty much daily. Usually for 4-5 hours a day. I'm actively ranking every class, but I only recently started doing that. At first I was just crafting and focusing on CON and THM. So it is possible to play this game daily and not get any fatigue.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DrDogg said:

I grinded all day long in FFXI, but due to the fact that I find this game mindless and boring, I haven't grinded at all. I have NEVER hit fatigue, at all.

You can check my character data here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1558891

I play pretty much daily. Usually for 4-5 hours a day. I'm actively ranking every class, but I only recently started doing that. At first I was just crafting and focusing on CON and THM. So it is possible to play this game daily and not get any fatigue.

FFXI grinding is pretty much gone except at lower levels. Hit level 30 and you can hop over to Abyssea and leech with friends.

jogarrr

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be picking this up now. I would've bought it at some point in the future as it continues to improve anyways but I doubt I'd find it for $30 at that point.

DrDogg

DrForester said:
FFXI grinding is pretty much gone except at lower levels. Hit level 30 and you can hop over to Abyssea and leech with friends.

Yeah, but I'm not playing right now. Back in the day, I would grind for hours on end and it was really fun... for me. :D

Jinko

SE have slowly distroyed XI since ToAU IMO, grinding back in the day when fights were an actual challenge was great fun, now it takes no effort at all, first with the addition of non stop grind on Collibri and now Abyssea.

There isn't really much effort to grind in 14 either though, its just long winded (probably worse than Aion) and incredibly boring.

Speaking of Aion, that game may be considered a bit of a failure but its was massively more enjoyable at launch than FFXIV has been.

I still can't understand how SE managed to screw up so badly with this game, its almost as if there was no real structure to the development process, its understandable they removed Tanaka from lead Producer.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Jinko said:
SE have slowly distroyed XI since ToAU IMO, grinding back in the day when fights were an actual challenge was great fun, now it takes no effort at all, first with the addition of non stop grind on Collibri and now Abyssea.

There isn't really much effort to grind in 14 either though, its just long winded (probably worse than Aion) and incredibly boring.

Speaking of Aion, that game may be considered a bit of a failure but its was massively more enjoyable at launch than FFXIV has been.

I still can't understand how SE managed to screw up so badly with this game, its almost as if there was no real structure to the development process, its understandable they removed Tanaka from lead Producer.

I don't think getting rid of grinding ruined FFXI. I think it's made it better. EXP was a huge issue people complained about. It's now pretty much a non-issue. I also like how many of the new abyssea monsters essentially give what you put into them. If you just zerg them you won't get much. I like the whole "Red, Blue, Yellow" color system to increase drop rate of various types of drops. Makes the fights more engaging.

Maddness

DrDogg

DrForester said:
I don't think getting rid of grinding ruined FFXI. I think it's made it better. EXP was a huge issue people complained about. It's now pretty much a non-issue. I also like how many of the new abyssea monsters essentially give what you put into them. If you just zerg them you won't get much. I like the whole "Red, Blue, Yellow" color system to increase drop rate of various types of drops. Makes the fights more engaging.

I'm with Jinko on this one. I think Abyssea, alongside the level cap increase have ruined FFXI for me. I think the challenge was perfect right when ToAU released. You could zerg colibri, but that didn't really happen until merit parties or ~73 at the lowest. Now it's just... easy.

For the record, the only reason I dislike the level cap increase is because I had a sense of finality when I got 7 jobs to 75. Now, I'd have to go back and take all 7 to 99 and get some level 99 endgame gear to get that same feeling. It's just not the same...

DrDogg said:
I'm with Jinko on this one. I think Abyssea, alongside the level cap increase have ruined FFXI for me. I think the challenge was perfect right when ToAU released. You could zerg colibri, but that didn't really happen until merit parties or ~73 at the lowest. Now it's just... easy.

For the record, the only reason I dislike the level cap increase is because I had a sense of finality when I got 7 jobs to 75. Now, I'd have to go back and take all 7 to 99 and get some level 99 endgame gear to get that same feeling. It's just not the same...

You see, that's the thing. The new cap increase isn't about grinding to 90+. It's about experiencing the content. There is even an npc in each zone that keeps track of how many quests you've managed to complete, and key items you've managed to collect, and gives a reward when you get them all. And as it stands, there is more content crammed in one Abyssea expansion (3 zones) than there is in all of FF14.

Making XP loss a non issue is the best thing ever for endgame. It makes people more willing to try new things, and even do more old content. One dominion op and you're back on your feet and capped again. No more de-leveling blms in dyna etc. Lessens the grind.

jiggle

catching up on story missions
and the one for rank38 was simply amazing
couldn't stop taking screenshots
really shows off the CS engine of the game
kinda rejuvenated my interest in the game
until i realized it'll be months and months before we'll actually get to see
garuda and leviathan and other avatars
:/

zlatko

Banned
I'm kinda curious how many of you think if this game will be the final nail in the coffin for FFXIV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N-naGRlhs

If it's successful AKA better at launch than FFXIV was---seems like all signs point to hell yes, then would it essentially murder FFXIV? The reason I ask this is because WoW takes a giant chunk of the western market, and really it's the asian market that is probably keeping FFXIV afloat. With this new asian MMO taking just about everything FFXIV set out to do + learning from a game like WoW in its dev process, would it finish up FFXIV to the point of barely anyone plays it?

I'm still in this weird waiting phase for FFXIV to finally have all the content I need from the start to the end, and then end game to focus on once I get there. If this game comes out before that is the case with FFXIV, then it sort of becomes obsolete in many ways.

Thoughts ?

DrDogg said:

Why put so much time into something you find so boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom