• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Londa

Banned
I just finished my suggestions. I asked for a Thief job that is more useful to parties and endgame, gardening, cooking, home stores, being able to let players in your home, and furniture for player homes.

DrDogg

Londa said:
I just finished my suggestions. I asked for a Thief job that is more useful to parties and endgame, gardening, cooking, home stores, being able to let players in your home, and furniture for player homes.

TH4 was pretty much the most useful endgame ability there was... :lol

Also, we already have cooking so... yeah.

Londa

Banned
DrDogg said:
TH4 was pretty much the most useful endgame ability there was... :lol

Also, we already have cooking so... yeah.

That is why I say, more useful. That means, more useful to parties and endgame than Thief was in FFXI. BTW, there is more than TH4 in FFXI.

About the cooking. I said:
gardening, cooking, home stores, being able to let players in your home, and furniture for player homes.

That means cooking in the home on a stove. The stove being furniture that you can buy and put in a players home. Basically usable furniture.

I know that there is already cooking.

Londa said:
That is why I say, more useful. That means, more useful to parties and endgame than Thief was in FFXI. BTW, there is more than TH4 in FFXI.

About the cooking. I said:

That means cooking in the home on a stove. The stove being furniture that you can buy and put in a players home. Basically usable furniture.

I know that there is already cooking.

Thief is amazing in endgame currently what are you on about?

pancakesandsex said:

If we could all agree to all just ignore every post Londa makes (and if your will is too weak, put Londa on your Ignore Lists) in 2011 and all agree not to reply to anything Londa ever says, we could have a Londa-free thread in 2011. She'll go away when nobody responds to anything she ever says anymore.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
If we could all agree to all just ignore every post Londa makes (and if your will is too weak, put Londa on your Ignore Lists) in 2011 and all agree not to reply to anything Londa ever says, we could have a Londa-free thread in 2011. She'll go away when nobody responds to anything she ever says anymore.

Oh I duno, it seems like the internet version of liking the sound of your own voice.

Unknown Soldier said:

Yeah you're right, I'll go back to tanking nms on my haste capped thf.

Cmagus

Almost at 26 but man the grind is becoming sooooo tough just sitting in Nanawa killing Coblyns with Multishot oh and SE thanks for all the Fish Oil today appreciate it ...... I want that new helmet.Ah well like the Christmas stuff by the end you'll have more than you know what to do with it I guess.

Dreamwriter said:
It's voting time!!! Head to the Lodestone and vote on what you want the new dev team to concentrate on over the next year!

Everyone needs to vote for More Content, More Content, and also More Content! What this game desperately needs is More Content! I voted specifically for more Story Quests, since I find that to be much higher priority than anything else. What this game needs is Quests, Quests, and more Quests! Guildleves are just go here and kill this, we don't need more of that!

What we need is Quests! Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests Quests!!

I also voted for increased communication with the players. :lol

Cmagus

Wow when they asked how many FF games Ive played I clocked in at 22 lol.I said more leves with more variety personally.I would like to see an auction house but by now i have just kind of learned to deal with it like alot of the stuff in the game.I also was curious at the end when they asked would you be ok with rule changes.

Cmagus said:
Wow when they asked how many FF games Ive played I clocked in at 22 lol.

Well okay, I only counted the mainline FF titles and arrived at 7 (out of 14). If we're also counting spinoffs, prequels, sequels, side-quels, and God knows what else (and poll wasn't very clear) then the number is a lot bigger. :lol

I didn't even count FFX-2 or I guess it would have been 8. :lol

Cmagus

Unknown Soldier said:
Well okay, I only counted the mainline FF titles and arrived at 7 (out of 14). If we're also counting spinoffs (and poll wasn't very clear) then the number is a lot bigger. :lol

Yeah I counted the DS titles, tactics and so on as well

Teknoman

I counted 18, spinoffs included. Said that I would be ok if new changes altered the rules of the game itself, asked for more content, asked for story based quests/mini-quests, said that I spent most of my time battling, and that I expect the new staff to be able to have an accelerated update schedule., as well as posts from the staff themselves.

As long as the changes = better/more fun/fun group activites, i'm good.

Also please kick the story into overdrive. I need my party boss battles *_*

Whats this supposed to mean anyway:

449_0.jpg

Too tired to figure it out x_x

I bet the alter rules part is probably leaning closer towards changing the ranks required for story missions or an Auction House. Just leave in retainers as a better way to AFK bazaar non-AHable items.

zlatko

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
It's voting time!!! Head to the Lodestone and vote on what you want the new dev team to concentrate on over the next year!

I went and did my part. I would have no problems coming back to this game when/if it has enough polished content from start to max level in a class, I"m not forced to play a crafting class at all, and I have enjoyable end game content once I get there to occupy myself with until content is added via patches or expansions. Right now it's too hollow of an experience as it is which is my biggest problem with it really. AKA there isn't a game to be played here more just time wasted, where as FFXI at NA release was not like that at all and which is how 14 should have shipped out content wise.

Londa

Banned
pancakesandsex said:

I wouldn't know. I don't play FFXI anymore. If they are only good in Abyssia then my mind doesn't change.

Just head towards your kitchen if you want to do that!

Thanks didn't think of that troll.

Thank you for this. I actually would like for the negative comments to stop. I've said numerous times that if you can't stand me, or etc, to just block me. I actually haven't blocked you because you are funny to me.

Jinko

I voted to sort the marketward and add an AH.

It's a hard choice because I think content is prob just as important.

I hope enough people vote for an offical forum aswell, not because I want to post over there paticularly but more because it would be a good place to have centralised feedback.

I voted for changes to the maps (in hopes that maybe they will just up and replace the copypasta maps with something actually "designed") and the addition of more story based quests / mini quests. The game is SEVERELY lacking in this department at the moment. I also voted yes for changes that could drastically alter the existing basic gameplay rule set.

And tek, @ altering the rules - I think they want to know if people are attached to the way the basic gameplay works now or not, or if they are open to some kind of drastic overhaul to potentially make things work better.

Teknoman

What would be nice is if no matter what, all things listed were actually added/focused on. I know more content and a few other voting choices are given, so maybe I should've voted for a forum.

EDIT: Yup, mini-quests/ item exchange quests and story quests were already coming according to that early 2011 update detail post, so im a little for confident that all those things will be added, no matter how many people voted.

pancakesandsex said:
I voted for changes to the maps (in hopes that maybe they will just up and replace the copypasta maps with something actually "designed")
Realize by "maps" they meant the in-game maps that show you where to go...

Teknoman

pancakesandsex said:
I voted for changes to the maps (in hopes that maybe they will just up and replace the copypasta maps with something actually "designed") and the addition of more story based quests / mini quests. The game is SEVERELY lacking in this department at the moment. I also voted yes for changes that could drastically alter the existing basic gameplay rule set.

And tek, @ altering the rules - I think they want to know if people are attached to the way the basic gameplay works now or not, or if they are open to some kind of drastic overhaul to potentially make things work better.

I'd like to think everyone would be open to any drastic overhaul, since it would probably be better than what we have now...especially looking at the experience of the new director. Required ranks for story progression should fall under that too. As it stands, the missions are too short for the rank gap in between.

sky

I voted for more content, and quests...
Nice to see this poll, it's another step in the right direction.

Teknoman

Dreamwriter said:
What is there to figure out? It's a prophecy foretelling stuff in the story that's going to happen later this year.

Azrael said:
Speculation at Zam is it refers to something big happening at the beginning of the seventh moon (July).

Another mystery solved. I wonder why the other region versions of that image had the "date" details at the beginning?

Jinko

Sounds like some kind of cataclysm, fire rains down from the sky, it shows that in the opening scene, probably something to do with the envasion of the Garleans.

July is a long way off, hope they have more content than that planned.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Sounds like some kind of cataclysm, fire rains down from the sky, it shows that in the opening scene, probably something to do with the envasion of the Garleans.

Yeah. A full scale Garlean invasion would be nice and all (of course that would kinda leave out PS3 version players...unless this signals that version will be out before then), complete with magitek enemies added into the landscape and normal infantry guys for low rank combat... but hopefully the NPC quests and group/battle content they have planned for early 2011 consist of well thought out gameplay elements.

Azrael

Jinko said:

Should be at least one content update around March (more scenario quests, hamlet defense battles, more NMs, etc.).

DrDogg

I voted for a change to the combat system first and foremost.

Content and quests are great, but a vast majority of them would involve combat. Right now the combat is ridiculously simplistic and boring. I would have no desire to complete new quests with the same easy mode combat. I don't want to watch TV while I play, I want to have to pay attention to what I'm doing.

If combat wasn't an option, I would've selected the Armory system. If things continue as they are, all DoW classes will be nearly identical at endgame. The same goes for both DoM classes. Plus, synthing and gathering are pretty boring as well. Now that I'm ranking every single class, I'm having a very hard time imaging taking anything other than GLA and CON to 50.

As for the poem... I suspect it means the first expansion releases in July alongside the PS3 version.

Oh and...

Londa said:
I asked for a Thief job that is more useful to parties and endgame...
Londa said:
I wouldn't know. I don't play FFXI anymore.
baPlC.gif
:lol

Teknoman

Azrael said:
Should be at least one content update around March (more scenario quests, hamlet defense battles, more NMs, etc.).

I hope thats before March >_> Game really needs an accelerated update roll out at least until theres a substantial amount of solo and group content to hold people between updates.

I need to to find some places to rank up at low 20s or places to group or something. I like getting nice gil from leves, but it feels like im stuck at rank 23 :lol

DrDogg said:
I voted for a change to the combat system first and foremost.

Content and quests are great, but a vast majority of them would involve combat. Right now the combat is ridiculously simplistic and boring. I would have no desire to complete new quests with the same easy mode combat. I don't want to watch TV while I play, I want to have to pay attention to what I'm doing.l

There are a few others that share your combat opinion:

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/29045-first-players-poll-what-was-your-response/page__st__20

Also made mention of my enemy layout complaint. You never can give a good guess where you should go rank up, since enemies can go from rank 5 to rank 30+ right around the corner. Personally I dont have a problem with the basics of the combat system (stamina gauge, not having an auto attack) but the animations and some of the skills being too similar is a problem. Nothing wrong with two different classes having similar skills, but there should be an extra bonus when using that skill with its proper class.

I know they are progressing towards more class exclusive equipment though, so theres that. The game needs more normal group battles too, since every job has multiple aoe skills, and theres the attack positioning system in place...which i'm not sure effects anything aside from a few skills.

Jinko

The leve system was a huge let down for me and I can barely play for more than an hour before I get the feeling of "been there done that"

They really need to have quests with clear progression paths. (something like WoW/Aion, which lead you to new area's)

I said back in beta that each camp should have had its own leve counter or quest giver.

We should beable to select 8 rank 20 leves from one area (so we can just quest in Ul'dah region for example), traveling around in this game is no fun and I don't wish to spend half my time running from each city state just to pick up 3 quests from each.

As for end game, they need to concentrate on keeping their userbase interested to reach cap before providing any meaningful end game content.

Teknoman

I think i'm going to flood S-E with every suggestion I can think of :lol

Another thing that should make an appearance is a paid entry boss battle arena. I thought thats what beastman currency drops were leading to. Could've had some specific beastman gatekeeper in a dungeon area, and exchanged boss battle arena access for a certain amount of specific currency.

DrDogg

I would like to see BCNMs, mainly because in addition to nice drops, you get content for all ranks.

Endgame would not be good with the game in its current state, but looking at that Core forums link, I think a lot of people are forgetting that rank 50 is not the final cap. I fully expect SE to raise the cap to 75 with the first expansion (PS3 release), then 99 at some point down the road. If you add something like Dynamis at rank 50, people will solo it at 99.

Another issue I have, and why I hope there's a total revamp, is the action bar. While I'm sure lists seem like old news, the list design for selecting your spell/attack in FFXI was MUCH easier to navigate than the action bar. I find myself scrambling to get to the action I want, when I want it, and that's not even taking into account scrolling up or down.

In FFXI, I arranged my spells/actions so that my important stuff was either right at the top, right at the bottom (so I can quickly press up to access it), or a page down (so I can quickly press right to access it). This was much better than the action bar.

Also, I really dislike having to re-set all of my actions when I change class. Even though I have it macro'd, it's still an annoyance that shouldn't be there.

DrDogg said:
I would like to see BCNMs, mainly because in addition to nice drops, you get content for all ranks.

Endgame would not be good with the game in its current state, but looking at that Core forums link, I think a lot of people are forgetting that rank 50 is not the final cap. I fully expect SE to raise the cap to 75 with the first expansion (PS3 release), then 99 at some point down the road. If you add something like Dynamis at rank 50, people will solo it at 99.

Another issue I have, and why I hope there's a total revamp, is the action bar. While I'm sure lists seem like old news, the list design for selecting your spell/attack in FFXI was MUCH easier to navigate than the action bar. I find myself scrambling to get to the action I want, when I want it, and that's not even taking into account scrolling up or down.

In FFXI, I arranged my spells/actions so that my important stuff was either right at the top, right at the bottom (so I can quickly press up to access it), or a page down (so I can quickly press right to access it). This was much better than the action bar.

Also, I really dislike having to re-set all of my actions when I change class. Even though I have it macro'd, it's still an annoyance that shouldn't be there.

I believe the existing faction leve system is a suitable replacement for BCNMS. They just need to design interesting ones.

Maddness

Well I'm finally moving on from XI and into XIV tomorrow when the stores open back up. At $30 bucks and free months I figure what the hell on taking the plunge.

I know the game started rough, but I've been keeping up with this thread and the additions they've been adding. I'm pretty excited.

Look forward to seeing you guys in the game!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maddness said:
Well I'm finally moving on from XI and into XIV tomorrow when the stores open back up. At $30 bucks and free months I figure what the hell on taking the plunge.

I know the game started rough, but I've been keeping up with this thread and the additions they've been adding. I'm pretty excited.

Lindblum server is where it's at, baby!

hgplayer1

Maddness said:

Great look forward to seeing you in game!

Here are some answers to question I know you are going to have....

Lindblum

yes

no

yes

no

Yar

Maddness

hgplayer1 said:
Great look forward to seeing you in game!

Here are some answers to question I know you are going to have....

Lindblum

yes

no

yes

no

Yar

Hahaha! I actually read before I post! Look out!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Londa said:
Thanks didn't think of that troll.

Well if you think about it what would be the point of furniture in your home that has uses? You can already equip and use your tools for crafting anywhere. Maybe it gives a guild type buff? Then it most likely wouldn't be the best one and still be useless...

Jinko

Another issue I have, and why I hope there's a total revamp, is the action bar. While I'm sure lists seem like old news, the list design for selecting your spell/attack in FFXI was MUCH easier to navigate than the action bar.

LOL .. no way !!

Veteran players used macros almost exclusively during battle in 11, and you can do the same in FF14 if the action bar is to clunky... although the macro bar is nothing but an action bar anyhow, just as it was in 11.

Jinko said:
LOL .. no way !!

Veteran players used macros almost exclusively during battle, and you can do the same in FF14 if the action bar is to clunky... although the macro bar is nothing but an action bar anyhow, just as it was in 11.

I like the action bar for special actions, but I'd prefer some kind of auto attack for regular attacks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
pancakesandsex said:
I like the action bar for special actions, but I'd prefer some kind of auto attack for regular attacks.
Or attack queuing. Shift click actions to queue them up and then just sit back. regular click to immediately insert a new action. Control click to queue up a battle regimen action that does not freeze you in place.

Rentahamster said:
Or attack queuing. Shift click actions to queue them up and then just sit back. regular click to immediately insert a new action. Control click to queue up a battle regimen action that does not freeze you in place.

Like 13, but slower.

Effect

Finally uninstalled the game tonight. Didn't realize just how big it was until now. Disappointed it wasn't what I was looking for and that I wasted money but feel better now that I'm taking it out and can move on. I do hope the game improves and those that do enjoy it continue to enjoy it though.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
LOL .. no way !!

Veteran players used macros almost exclusively during battle in 11, and you can do the same in FF14 if the action bar is to clunky... although the macro bar is nothing but an action bar anyhow, just as it was in 11.

I had a full set of macros back before they expanded the macro system in 11. I used them frequently, but mainly for gear changes, buffs and things of that nature. When I needed something fast I would typically use the menu. Perhaps this was because I was using a controller, but I was often times faster than keyboard uses, even in my endgame linkshells.

Also, using the macro system in this game doesn't work as well due to the stamina meter. I feel I'm much faster using the action bar, even in it's clunky state.

At the very least, I think we should have the option of using the FFXI setup.

Teknoman

I actually used the spell list when playing as a Blue Mage and seemed to do just fine. Of course I use a gamepad too, but you can do just fine playing with a mix of macros and normal menu usage. Hell I even beat the final Blue Mage limit break challenge using gamepad only.

Now if I need to combine two skills that play off each other fast...maybe i'll use macros.

Maddness

Alright so I'm in the game thanks to a friend of mine who gave me a buddy pass until I can officially buy the game tomorrow. Got my stuff setup and I'm in Lindblum.

If you see Zodd Yossarian walking around that's me! I look forward to meeting you all in game! Sort of lost so far, but I'm sure I'll figure my way around and will manage to gather stuff just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom