• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
zlatko said:
I'm kinda curious how many of you think if this game will be the final nail in the coffin for FFXIV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N-naGRlhs

If it's successful AKA better at launch than FFXIV was---seems like all signs point to hell yes, then would it essentially murder FFXIV? The reason I ask this is because WoW takes a giant chunk of the western market, and really it's the asian market that is probably keeping FFXIV afloat. With this new asian MMO taking just about everything FFXIV set out to do + learning from a game like WoW in its dev process, would it finish up FFXIV to the point of barely anyone plays it?

I'm still in this weird waiting phase for FFXIV to finally have all the content I need from the start to the end, and then end game to focus on once I get there. If this game comes out before that is the case with FFXIV, then it sort of becomes obsolete in many ways.

Thoughts ?

No, another gaudy looking korean grinder will not be the final nail in the coffin for FF14. I think it needs to gain significantly more content and/or a massive overhaul in like, the next 6 months, in order to keep people's interest though.

DrDogg

JoshuaJSlone said:
Why put so much time into something you find so boring?

I have faith that the game will eventually become good. I don't want to be too far behind when that happens. I also don't have much to garner my attention at the moment. That may change when MvC3 or MK9 release...

zlatko said:
I'm kinda curious how many of you think if this game will be the final nail in the coffin for FFXIV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N-naGRlhs

Thoughts ?

Tera is an action-RPG. FFXIV is far more turn-based than action. In my opinion they play completely different. Asking if one will kill the other is like asking if a "Tales of" title will kill Disgaea.

pancakesandsex said:
You see, that's the thing. The new cap increase isn't about grinding to 90+. It's about experiencing the content. There is even an npc in each zone that keeps track of how many quests you've managed to complete, and key items you've managed to collect, and gives a reward when you get them all. And as it stands, there is more content crammed in one Abyssea expansion (3 zones) than there is in all of FF14.

Making XP loss a non issue is the best thing ever for endgame. It makes people more willing to try new things, and even do more old content. One dominion op and you're back on your feet and capped again. No more de-leveling blms in dyna etc. Lessens the grind.

I understand all of that. My point is that I want my sense of completion. For the time being I'm done with FFXI. This could change depending on the lifecycle of the game and how FFXIV fares in the future, but I liked the fact that I felt a sense of completion. If I go back, for even the shortest amount of time, I'll lose that. Therefore, I'd have to level all 7 of my jobs to 99, then participate in enough endgame activities to feel that same sense of completion.

It has nothing to do with content or the grind. My grind reference was to older FFXI (right around the ToAU release).

Jinko

pancakesandsex said:
No, another gaudy looking korean grinder will not be the final nail in the coffin for FF14. I think it needs to gain significantly more content and/or a massive overhaul in like, the next 6 months, in order to keep people's interest though.

You couldn't be more wrong about Tera, it's not really a grinder (well no less than any MMO out there), more akin to WoW than Aion, people look at it and think of another Aion clone but its not.

I duno about it being the nail in the coffin, but I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of people who do play 14, me included, Tera and FF14 were my most hopeful MMO's, 14 seems to have failed me so Tera is next in line.

TheFatOne

Man I like this game, but the performance is utter shit on my rig. Not going to play this game until SE improves performance or until I upgrade my computer in two months whichever comes first.

hgplayer1

TheFatOne said:
Man I like this game, but the performance is utter shit on my rig. Not going to play this game until SE improves performance or until I upgrade my computer in two months whichever comes first.

what are your PCs specs? I could have sworn me and you had similar set ups.

hgplayer1

TheFatOne said:
e8400 overclocked to 3.8
GTX 260
4 gigs of RAM

Thats a Core 2 Duo right?

Im not familiar with the GPU.

I've done some upgrades since I first started in the beta and it made a considerable difference but even before then it ran the game ...ok....

I wasnt even able to upgrade my CPU very much. Motherboard didnt support the quads.

Went from an 8600GT to a HD5770.

Im very happy with the way my PC runs the game but Im probably looking to build a new one later this year anyway. You should be able to get good performance from a good Core 2 Duo and a good GPU.

Edit: I actually have the e8400 too.

Bento

Jinko said:
You couldn't be more wrong about Tera, it's not really a grinder (well no less than any MMO out there), more akin to WoW than Aion, people look at it and think of another Aion clone but its not.

I duno about it being the nail in the coffin, but I'm sure it will appeal to a lot of people who do play 14, me included, Tera and FF14 were my most hopeful MMO's, 14 seems to have failed me so Tera is next in line.
The thing about Aion is that it promised to be more like WoW and not a Korean grinder and yet lo and behold it was a Korean grinder and I doubt Tera will be all that different once players leave the early levels. Also the big problem with Korean MMOs isn't really the grind, it's the lackluster support with patches in some cases lagging behind an entire year in the west and rampant botting/farming/whatnot destroying the experience. So I think it's completely reasonable to write off any Korean MMO until they proven themselves to not fuck up on those things post launch :eek:)

Jinko

Bento said:
The thing about Aion is that it promised to be more like WoW and not a Korean grinder and yet lo and behold it was a Korean grinder and I doubt Tera will be all that different once players leave the early levels. Also the big problem with Korean MMOs isn't really the grind, it's the lackluster support with patches in some cases lagging behind an entire year in the west and rampant botting/farming/whatnot destroying the experience. So I think it's completely reasonable to write off any Korean MMO until they proven themselves to not fuck up on those things post launch :eek:)

I think you will find it was the fans that hyped Aion up to be more like WoW, if anything its most like Lineage 2.

What is so different with the way in which NCsoft handled Aion compared to how SE are handling FFXIV, sure we don't have to pay for a subsciption at the moment but I would gladly do so if it meant having some decent content and a less grindy leveling system.

NCsoft have always been slack about botting, they would rather have the money from subs than ban thousands of players, im sure GW2 will fall pray to the same problem.

Tera's development is very different than Aions, En Masse have seperate teams which will localise content and provide feedback from the west back to Bluehole studios, kind of like how frogster does with Rune of Magic.

Aion was cleverly disguised, up until about level 30 it was just about the most fun you could have in a game not named WoW, but then all of a sudden the XP curve goes exponential and the quests and non-grind content just vanishes. NCSoft got lazy at the end, and that's too bad, because the amount of potential Aion had was surpassed only by how disappointing it ultimately was.

I am still very very new to the game, so perhaps as I figure things out I will get annoyed with more things, but after reading a few hyperbolic reviews talking about all the steps backward this game takes from the friendliness FF XI has gained over the years, I've been pleasantly surprised at a lot of things so far. Like

*Starting inventory MUCH higher. Crystals/shards don't even count toward it, and seem to be able to stack up to 9,999 themselves.
*Rest mode replaced with a Passive mode where I can still move while regenerating.
*Levequests point you to where more of the right type of enemy is, offer to transport you back to aetheryte hub upon completion.
*Changing jobs by equipment means no rushing back to a few set locations to change jobs.
*Armor that seems to be universally wearable means being at the wrong level or wrong job won't make it completely useless--even if there's a penalty involved or it's not the optimal piece.

On the downside, as a guy with a 3D monitor, it just doesn't seem to work well with this game. Shadows don't match up from one eye to the next, and things in the distance (where it's switched to lower detail) don't seem to be at the proper depth. So one of the games I leave in 2D.

TheFatOne said:
e8400 overclocked to 3.8
GTX 260
4 gigs of RAM

I have the same processor but I haven't overclocked it, ATI 4870 gpu and 4gb of ram and the game runs pretty smooth on it as long as I don't max out everything.

hgplayer1

JoshuaJSlone said:
I am still very very new to the game, so perhaps as I figure things out I will get annoyed with more things, but after reading a few hyperbolic reviews talking about all the steps backward this game takes from the friendliness FF XI has gained over the years, I've been pleasantly surprised at a lot of things so far. Like

*Starting inventory MUCH higher. Crystals/shards don't even count toward it, and seem to be able to stack up to 9,999 themselves.
*Rest mode replaced with a Passive mode where I can still move while regenerating.
*Levequests point you to where more of the right type of enemy is, offer to transport you back to aetheryte hub upon completion.
*Changing jobs by equipment means no rushing back to a few set locations to change jobs.
*Armor that seems to be universally wearable means being at the wrong level or wrong job won't make it completely useless--even if there's a penalty involved or it's not the optimal piece.

On the downside, as a guy with a 3D monitor, it just doesn't seem to work well with this game. Shadows don't match up from one eye to the next, and things in the distance (where it's switched to lower detail) don't seem to be at the proper depth. So one of the games I leave in 2D.

Leve quests spawn mobs specifically for you once youve initiated the quest. Those mobs cannot be engaged by anyone not in your party.

DrDogg

JoshuaJSlone said:

1. Starting inventory MUCH higher. Crystals/shards don't even count toward it, and seem to be able to stack up to 9,999 themselves.
2. Rest mode replaced with a Passive mode where I can still move while regenerating.
3. Levequests point you to where more of the right type of enemy is, offer to transport you back to aetheryte hub upon completion.
4. Changing jobs by equipment means no rushing back to a few set locations to change jobs.
5. Armor that seems to be universally wearable means being at the wrong level or wrong job won't make it completely useless--even if there's a penalty involved or it's not the optimal piece.

Keep in mind, there have been a number of patches since most of those reviews were published.

1. The inventory has been increased since launch, and we gained the ability to have a second retainer. That said, even the starting inventory space was bigger than FFXI, but there are also a lot more items when you look at +1, +2 and +3 versions that don't stack together.

2. Except that rest mode allowed you to regenerate MP. Passive mode does not.

3. I do like this... but I find leves in general to be boring.

4. I do like the ability to change on the fly, but the downside with the current job system is that many of the jobs lack uniqueness like we saw in FFXI.

5. I'd much rather have a strict job/rank on armor. The way it is now makes people sloppy. I RARELY see people with appropriate armor on... even on their main jobs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, I think the lack of armor requirements encourages laziness more than it encourages usability.

I'd just put rank limits back on (or perhaps just limit it to the rank of your highest ranking job) and increase inv space by 40 to make room for the extra gear.

Teknoman

There are supposed to be limits on future items by rank and class, but it would be nice for early item restrictions. I wonder how that would effect someone who already had the equipment on.

Teknoman

Survey was posted again:

FINAL FANTASY XIV Player's Poll the First (01/07/2011)

Happy New Year (again)!

In case you missed the announcement last month, the FINAL FANTASY XIV development and management teams are currently conducting a survey to obtain a better idea of how everyone is spending their time in Eorzea, as well as to discern what changes our fans would like to see implemented in forthcoming version updates.

We've hired a warehouse of opo-opos to help translate all your suggestions, and a pack of starving, rabid watchdogs to ensure each and every one is read by the teams. There's never been a better time than now to make your voice heard, so get off your seat and fill out the FINAL FANTASY XIV Player's Poll today!

The future of Eorzea starts here!

*Surveys accepted until 1:00 a.m. on Friday, January 14, 2011.
*No animals were harmed in the translation of this message.
*Poll may be completed in either standing or sitting position.

So I guess we'll get a real update on whats up by the week of January 14th or following week.

DrDogg

What about that message makes you think they'll have something to tell us within a week of the survey deadline? Not saying they won't, just that there's no indication of when or even if we'll get more info.

Jinko

It's going to take them weeks to sift through all the suggestions and what not, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, might hear something in the second week of Feb I reckon, which will be detailing the March update.

Makes me wonder if the PS3 version will be delayed.

Teknoman

DrDogg said:
What about that message makes you think they'll have something to tell us within a week of the survey deadline? Not saying they won't, just that there's no indication of when or even if we'll get more info.

Nothing, just being optimistic.

Forbiden

Jinko said:
It's going to take them weeks to sift through all the suggestions and what not, I wouldn't get my hopes up too high, might hear something in the second week of Feb I reckon, which will be detailing the March update.

Makes me wonder if the PS3 version will be delayed.

I thought they had already announced a PS3 version delay when they announced the staff change?

Cmagus

They really need to readjust the amount of skill it takes to fix things.It kind of ridiculous because by time you get your class up high enough to fix your stuff especially higher levels its pointless because by time you rank a leather worker or other skills high enough you have already moved on to a higher rank and yet again your behind again. My LS really works well together but still its an issue alot of the time.

Also like many have said the SP is garbage at higher levels.Funny we ran a full party in our LS last night doing 4-5 stars at Nophica wells and Broken water and after two hours I managed roughly a little over 1200 sp for taking taking out high level drakes and whatnot it wasn't worth it. Can get that standing in Nanawa for 10 minutes killing coblyns.

It's getting abit boring although pushing on but I am incredibly bored of grinding on Coblyns and Cassiopeia.Also it would be nice to spread monsters like that out abit still alot of empty map space these places are getting crowded now cause everyone is grinding there put some more of these out in the map.

Gattsu25

Banned
IMO they need to get the more basic aspects down.

Alt+Tabbing from the game when it is fullscreen results in crashes on two of my machines (Win7 64-bit).

The FFXIV Config, outside of language, should not be a stand-alone executable. You need to be able to perform the following without client resets: Resolution changes (must), all graphics setting changes (must), and gamepad configs (good to have). They should also add the ability to maximize the window if you are running a game windowed (good to have. WoW is spoiling me with this and I feel more games should allow it).

Getting this game to run just right was a longer process than it should have been due to the lack of control over visual settings and the legacy implementation.

Gattsu25 said:
Alt+Tabbing from the game when it is fullscreen results in crashes on two of my machines (Win7 64-bit).
That seems to be by design. That's why programs like Windower started happening for XI and now XIV. Though it seems Windower XIV has been cease-and-desisted?

The FFXIV Config, outside of language, should not be a stand-alone executable. You need to be able to perform the following without client resets: Resolution changes (must), all graphics setting changes (must), and gamepad configs (good to have).
It's not only goofy that it's in a separate program, but then that there are a few additional graphical options in the program itself, like the setting to have grass/etc. drawn further out.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OMG You have to watch all of this

Good Lord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF7vrQ04_q4

There's 15 Parts, HOLY SHIT!, I knew the game was fucked up in the BETA and then the release, but these 2 with their play/observations destroyed me

Please in your free time watch these, I watched all 14 >_<, Holy Hell

Now I'm worried for you PC guys and my PS3 dreams are shattered, I should go to DCUO

Gattsu25

Banned
GraveRobberX said:

Good Lord

There's 15 Parts, HOLY SHIT!, I knew the game was fucked up in the BETA and then the release, but these 2 with their play/observations destroyed me

Now I'm worried for you PC guys and my PS3 dreams are shattered, I should go to DCUO
What the fuck is the point of reviewing a beta? Seems pointless

Lionheart

GraveRobberX said:

Good Lord

Wow, you watched all parts? I just tried to watch the first part but the first minute of those guys talking / laughing made me cringe so much, I quit... Plus, I noticed like Gattsu25 said that the date on this video is September 21, a day before the final version started. Much has improved since then, though it's still not very enjoyable imo.

Cmagus

GraveRobberX said:

Good Lord

Funny videos I'll say but they have ironed out alot since the beta.Plus why anyone would start out as a fisherman is beyond me but hey whatever floats your boat.

Cmagus

Gattsu25 said:

The FFXIV Config, outside of language, should not be a stand-alone executable. You need to be able to perform the following without client resets: Resolution changes (must), all graphics setting changes (must), and gamepad configs (good to have). They should also add the ability to maximize the window if you are running a game windowed (good to have. WoW is spoiling me with this and I feel more games should allow it).

Getting this game to run just right was a longer process than it should have been due to the lack of control over visual settings and the legacy implementation.

I play in windowed most I prefer it that way I can access the yellow gremlin site and stuff while I play.It's very handy when crafting to look stuff up since they don't have anything like that in game.

Gattsu25

Banned
Cmagus said:
Funny videos I'll say but they have ironed out alot since the beta.Plus why anyone would start out as a fisherman is beyond me but hey whatever floats your boat.
The game lets you.

The game lets you play as those tarutaru looking things, too. Why would anyone play one? Beats me. It's an option, though.

Cmagus

Gattsu25 said:
The game lets you.

The game lets you play as those tarutaru looking things, too. Why would anyone play one? Beats me. It's an option, though.

I know you can but I mean you can change classes right and completely respec so I mean its not a huge issue.That being said most new to MMO wouldn't know everything about doing this with SE lack of info.

Moobabe

Gattsu25 said:
The game lets you.

When I played the beta I rolled a fisherman to see how different it was compared to being a standard mmo fighting class. It was pretty enjoyable as well - some aspects of fishing weren't explained particularly clearly - but it was certainly less stressful than standard classes and a nice change of pace.

Cmagus

Moobabe said:
When I played the beta I rolled a fisherman to see how different it was compared to being a standard mmo fighting class. It was pretty enjoyable as well - some aspects of fishing weren't explained particularly clearly - but it was certainly less stressful than standard classes and a nice change of pace.

fishing is ok but I personally find the little mini games kind of boring after awhile and especially fishing just seems to go on forever.I fish from time to time for fish to level my culinary skills but I get bored of it fast Id say things like fishing, botany and the like I rarely touch.

DrDogg

Cmagus said:
fishing is ok but I personally find the little mini games kind of boring after awhile and especially fishing just seems to go on forever.I fish from time to time for fish to level my culinary skills but I get bored of it fast Id say things like fishing, botany and the like I rarely touch.

IMO the DoL classes are more entertaining than the DoW and DoM classes. Although fishing is by far the most boring of the three DoL classes. I still think it takes more skill than any of the DoW and DoM classes. :lol

Gattsu25 said:

As a console gamer first and foremost, I don't care about any of that. I know many people playing and looking forward to FFXIV are PC gamers, but I think SE still has the mindset of a console developer. You can consider that good or bad, but as a console gamer I don't have problems with anything you just said.

GraveRobberX said:

Good Lord

I loaded up the first video, say the date, then closed the window. Maybe next time you should ask in here how much the game has changed since BETA?! Waste of time...

Jinko

You think DCUO is doing any better ? :lol

@Cmagnus

You can use this to run windowed mode without the borders. (can be used on just about any window)

http://www.mediafire.com/?woczbw4btjdbmif

Press CTRL + ALT + F to go fullscreen.

As a console gamer first and foremost, I don't care about any of that. I know many people playing and looking forward to FFXIV are PC gamers, but I think SE still has the mindset of a console developer. You can consider that good or bad, but as a console gamer I don't have problems with anything you just said.

You should, it shows a lack of understanding and ability in programming (and its userbase), its kind of like how FF11 was excused so many times because of Playstation 2 limiations, except this time its ok because SE are console developers.

I think its also apparent that SE know that the PC version is the most important, thats why the PS3 development is taking a back seat.

I actually think its was probably Tanaka being so old and out of touch, seeing as how Yoshida has had a lot of experience with MMO's I imagine many of these problems will get ironed out fast.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
I think its also apparent that SE know that the PC version is the most important, thats why the PS3 development is taking a back seat.

That's not what I've taken away from all of this. I think that SE knows the PS3 version is of the utmost importance here, which is why they don't want to release it until the game has been fixed. I don't really think SE cared about the PC version in the first place, which is why it released in the state it did.

Cmagus

DrDogg said:
That's not what I've taken away from all of this. I think that SE knows the PS3 version is of the utmost importance here, which is why they don't want to release it until the game has been fixed. I don't really think SE cared about the PC version in the first place, which is why it released in the state it did.

I agree with this although I don't think that they didn't care about the PC version I think someone made the call to get it out before WOW carelessly.I honestly don't think at this point the PC version can be redeemed.I think there has just been too much damage and negative press unless they do a complete overhaul with a new remarket I don't think it's going to grow much more.

The pc servers have been consistently stale in terms of people its definitely losing players a little slower now but it's still on the decline and the thing is it's not really like they are working towards a complete overhaul they are still working towards finishing the game.The Pc version is still a ways off from being complete there is still alot to fix and balance I just think that in the amount of time SE takes to get stuff out people will slowly move on.

There is too many MMO's hitting this year that they are running out of time. DCUO, Star Wars, Guild Wars and so on lots coming they better get moving.

Talk of importance of PC vs PS3 version has me wondering: Anyone know what the userbase split has been like for XI? I imagine it has shifted quite a bit over the years.

DrDogg

JoshuaJSlone said:
Talk of importance of PC vs PS3 version has me wondering: Anyone know what the userbase split has been like for XI? I imagine it has shifted quite a bit over the years.

This has been brought up a few times over the course of the FFXIV threads. It's hard to find definitive numbers but here's what's been said in the past about the first few years of FFXI.

Platform Majority by Region
Japan: PS2
US: PC
Europe: Roughly even split

I know a good number of PC and PS2 users moved to the 360 when that version released, but by that time I think a lot of Japanese players had moved from PS2 to PC, so I don't know what the console/PC breakdown was at that point.

Jinko

DrDogg said:

Thats not what happened though, the PC was the main development platform (they have said this numerous times) the PS3 version has had to have assets scaled back to fit in the memory such as textures.

They also said in interviews that getting the code to run on the PS3 was more trouble than they expected, which is why the PS3 version was delayed.

Of course SE care about the PC version, looking at FF11 shows that most people moved over to the PC version eventually.

I think what you meant is that SE know that the PS3 version is their last chance to redeem this game.

There is too many MMO's hitting this year that they are running out of time. DCUO, Star Wars, Guild Wars and so on lots coming they better get moving.

Agreed, although to be honest DCUO looks to be getting released in just as bad a state as FFXIV, FFXIV will probably end up like FFXI keeping a stable subsciption base of die hard fans, the PS3 version will help but its not guna make a huge difference at this point.

sam27368

Banned
DrDogg said:
This has been brought up a few times over the course of the FFXIV threads. It's hard to find definitive numbers but here's what's been said in the past about the first few years of FFXI.

Platform Majority by Region
Japan: PS2
US: PC
Europe: Roughly even split

I know a good number of PC and PS2 users moved to the 360 when that version released, but by that time I think a lot of Japanese players had moved from PS2 to PC, so I don't know what the console/PC breakdown was at that point.
It never came out for PS2 in the EU ..

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
DrDogg said:
Maybe I'm confusing it with the 360 then? I just remember some report saying the EU base was split console/PC.

I really can't imagine after so long that the 360 version got much traction. Just an observation. Also I know that the PS2 version was big in Japan at first, but given the 3rd party tools for FFXI now it would not surprise me if PC is most popular in Japan now as well.

The 360 version doesn't even work with the new dashboard. Like literally you cannot play it. They don't even care enough to fix it, so that should tell you something.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
From the Neogaf GOTY awards!

166. Final Fantasy XI: Scars of Abyssea 6
190. Final Fantasy XIV 5

34fn1ab.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom