• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unknown Soldier said:
T

We're talking about your average high level crafter having anywhere from 25-50 million gil on most servers at this point and your average adventurer having ROFLCOPTER gil. I would not be surprised if there are a few crafter people with 100 million gil or more at this point on the more heavily populated servers. It only took Aurica Valentia about a month to accumulate 30 million gil on his way to being the game's first rank 50 armorer, after which he quit because he literally had nobody on the server to sell anything to. In a month he had probably gathered a large proportion of the whole Lindblum server's wealth to himself.

This only applies to jobless shut-ins (like that Aurica twat) who were able to get R40+ crafts in the first month and sell Bronze Cuirass for like 500,000-1,000,000g each or whatever retarded ripoff amount. I'm 42ARM and if 25-50mil is the norm I'm doing something really, really wrong. Seriously, gear sells for shit now so unless you're crafting/selling on like 4 different accounts or exploiting some weird synth there's no way to be that rich anymore. The economy has already been raped, pillaged, and left for dead by the people who played 23 hours a day in the beginning, trust me. The average 40+ leve-link grinder with no crafts has more gil than me now.

To reiterrate, the ONLY reason Aurica got rich is because he could rip people off in the beginning. He didn't do anything magical or smart; he's not Bill Gates. Gear sells for 1/100th of what he got for it. The economy is SHIT.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
MomoPufflet said:
How much SP are we talking? If it's like tens of thousands it kind of illegitimizes supposedly high ranking fishermen. They've had like 4 months to totally abuse that :/
Heh, you could get a lot, but it wasn't thaaaat bad. In my opinion, it doesn't delegitimize anyone.

Zomba13

Hey FFXIV people!
Hows the game? Has it gotten better? Is it still free? Just thought I'd check in as I was looking at the CE box (love dat Amano art).

notworksafe

From the interview:

Interviewer: In the survey, there was a question "What content would you like to see added", and one of the answers was "auction house" which I thought was very concrete answer to include. Can you tell us what your aim was?

Yoshida: The auction house is a system that existed in Final Fantasy XI (FFXI). The development up to now had put too much emphasis on "Make FFXIV different from FFXI", and with the goal of improving the in game economy, the system should be easy to use for players. If that easy to use system is an auction house, I think we should immediately install it. I feel making everything original is not always justice [translators note: justice = the right way].

Thank god someone has some sense on this new team. Different isn't always better, especially when it makes life harder on your player base for no reason.

EDIT: Also...

Interviewer: While it may depend on the surveys results, please tell us what you think needs to change immediately in FFXIV.

Yoshida: The user interface. Regardless of improving other elements, if we don't fix the UI and controls, players will become irritated and the impact of the improved elements will not be felt completely. Also, elements to do with battle. The current Eorzea is a bit too peaceful isn't it (lol). I want to see players cooperating to fight against powerful enemies, I want to push forward and emphasize the "Final Fantasy" style.

Thank god! UI and proper controls need to be a priority!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If I get this for my laptop, it has Intel HD graphics card (budget laptop), it runs some steam games good, can I play this?

I can hook laptop to my 46" HDTV through HDMI & PS3 controller through motionjoy

If I play, and whenever the PS3 version goes live, can I transfer my account over to it?

I mean $35 for the game + free sub until they start charging, then leave character till PS3 comes out, transfer and keep continuing?

Forbiden

GraveRobberX said:
If I play, and whenever the PS3 version goes live, can I transfer my account over to it?

I believe you can. I don't see a reason why they would separate the userbases this time around, when FFXI had all platforms playing together.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Forbiden said:
I believe you can. I don't see a reason why they would separate the userbases this time around, when FFXI had all platforms playing together.

Yeah with FFXI you just used your log-in info from your original account on any platform, didn't even have to bother with activation codes.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
From the interview:

Thank god someone has some sense on this new team. Different isn't always better, especially when it makes life harder on your player base for no reason.

EDIT: Also...

Thank god! UI and proper controls need to be a priority!

I just hope they get those updates out asap, along with the content. January is almost over...and still no more details on the first 2011 update other than what we had in the pre-team change era.

More translations:

Interviewer: I see. "Rebuild", in the player survey there was a question asking "Do you want things in Eorzea to change so much that the rules are changed?", and we were wondering if this means for those playing on the PC (Windows) version that there is the possiblity of a player / character wipe (restart from the beginning)?

Yoshida: It is my policy that I will never do a wipe. There may be significant adjustments to the meaning of the the current physical and skill ranks, but if that happens I will try to make sure the parameters can be corrected. As a side note, I was the one who wrote the survey questions, and in the sentence I purposely used "In Eorzea..." instead of "In FFXIV". I wanted players to anticipate and think "I wonder what Eorzea's rules are?".

Yoshida: The user interface. Regardless of improving other elements, if we don't fix the UI and controls, players will become irritated and the impact of the improved elements will not be felt completely. Also, elements to do with battle. The current Eorzea is a bit too peaceful isn't it (lol). I want to see players cooperating to fight against powerful enemies, I want to push forward and emphasize the "Final Fantasy" style.

Godspeed Yoshida.

I have been messing around with this game for about a week now since getting a new PC last week and am really not sure what to think. On one hand I am digging the absolutely gorgeous looking world setting, music, lore, etc. But on the other I feel incredibly overwhelmed and helpless with little idea of what I should be doing other than beating up monsters and selling stuff. I am sure I just have to learn how to play the game by putting in some more time, but I don't recall FF XI confusing me as much as this is.

Also, is this game solo friendly, or is there a certain point/area where people must team up to survive? I am a Gladiator level 9 (Lindbulm) and am thinking back on those first days I went to the Dunes in FF XI with my flag up and joined a PT. Fun times.

I am glad I finally glad I got it though. Maybe I am just comparing it too much to FF XI, and not realizing its its own beast with its own rules and systems. I will continue giving it a chance though.

GrumpyAlien said:
I have been messing around with this game for about a week now since getting a new PC last week and am really not sure what to think. On one hand I am digging the absolutely gorgeous looking world setting, music, lore, etc. But on the other I feel incredibly overwhelmed and helpless with little idea of what I should be doing other than beating up monsters and selling stuff. I am sure I just have to learn how to play the game by putting in some more time, but I don't recall FF XI confusing me as much as this is.

Also, is this game solo friendly, or is there a certain point/area where people must team up to survive? I am a Gladiator level 9 (Lindbulm) and am thinking back on those first days I went to the Dunes in FF XI with my flag up and joined a PT. Fun times.

I am glad I finally glad I got it though. Maybe I am just comparing it too much to FF XI, and not realizing its its own beast with its own rules and systems. I will continue giving it a chance though.

The reason it feels like there is nothing to do is because there is in fact, nothing else to do.

Take the storyline quests as you get them to break up the monotony. If you missed where to go next, check your journal, you can look at a special map that tells you where to go.

Thoraxes

I'll just keep playing as long as it's free.
That being said, I am waiting for something big to happen or for some big changes soon hopefully. I know if it's not worth it, I won't be paying to play.

I remain optimistic though, Yoshida has me hopeful.

Jinko

official FINAL FANTASY XIV forums.

:O I never thought it would happen

More quests, addition of an AH all sounds good to me.

I kind of hope they add the quests to the bulletin boards in the adventurer's guild.

Edit:- Examination of the implementation of jumping

lol..

Possible introduction of traditional names such as paladin, monk, white mage, etc.

Do it !

I'm glad they're going for continual updates rather than a single large update every two months. This guy gets it.

I hope jumping does get added. In WoW I'm one of the ADD jumpers everyone deeply involved in the world/lore hates.

The changes sound good but they're going to take a looooong time to get through even half those things. I hope they actually follow through with more frequent updates; as in, smaller ones every two weeks. I'm so over them "saving" stuff for their colossally un-epic miracle patches. Either way I don't trust them yet. This could easily just be a repeat of that lodestone update list we got 3 months ago that they never fully delivered on, different team or no.

Possible introduction of traditional names such as paladin, monk, white mage, etc.

I lol'ed at this. They might as well cut the pretense and change the races back to their FFXI names too because they are exactly the same.

Teknoman

skitzophrenicdontpanic said:
I'm glad they're going for continual updates rather than a single large update every two months. This guy gets it.

I hope jumping does get added. In WoW I'm one of the ADD jumpers everyone deeply involved in the world/lore hates.

If it does get added, I bet it'll just be involved with platforming/wont be able to rapidly jump.

Some of these updates need to hit really soon though. They all sound great, but most of this stuff should've been in day one...or at least month one. Then again, I guess that has to do with the previous director and his mission to make everything so different for no reason.

Implementing "traditional" names might be for advanced armory classes (put traditional in quotes since Paladins are sometimes called Knights in FF games, same with Dragoon and Lancer). Besides the way the Gladiator works couldnt be called a Paladin anyway.

Cmagus

Teknoman said:
If it does get added, I bet it'll just be involved with platforming/wont be able to rapidly jump.

Some of these updates need to hit really soon though.

Maybe not bt it would make getting around some environments a little easier nothing more annoying then having to run all the way around something cause of a tiny ledge

Teknoman

Cmagus said:
Maybe not bt it would make getting around some environments a little easier nothing more annoying then having to run all the way around something cause of a tiny ledge

True, of course they could go to the other end of the spectrum, and give us Dissidia/Advent Children style jumping :D But in all seriousness, that would be nice to just get around the environment, and they wouldnt need fall damage since its not like you would be able to jump off a cliff. Well the way things are now anyway.

Let's take a look at questions 6 through 8 together.

An overhaul to fundamental aspects of gameplay was by far and away the most common response. But an accelerated version update schedule and increased player communication are certainly not to be discounted, as each comprises over 10% of the total results. The responses to these questions have left quite an impression on us, and we will continue to be making numerous improvements to these areas in accordance with your continued feedback.

The issue that players would first like to see addressed is a general lack of game content, followed by changes to the battle system. Looking further, it seems that the type of content most strongly desired is quests and miniquests, accounting for about 40% of the responses. The auction house has also made a solid showing among the responses, no doubt due in part to the fact that, as previously mentioned, many of the pollees are or were FFXI players. My initial reaction was to interpret this as players stating that they want more adventures in Eorzea! More gil and loot!

In line with this, I believe that significant changes to the battle system are necessary to create a style of combat that lends itself to the enjoyment of quests and miniquests. Following that logic one step further, it is equally necessary to bring about significant changes to the user interface to create a UI that lends itself to the enjoyment of the battle system. After all, there is no point in making thorough improvements to battle if the response and usability of the interface isn't capable of conveying those improvements to players.

In line with the above results, we will be bringing quests and miniquests to Eorzea sometime after the beginning of February. Along with this, all of the changes being worked on during the end of last year and the beginning of this year to improve the games playability and user-friendliness will also be released around the same time.

Though the next version update will introduce a relatively small number of changes, preparations are already underway to bring further improvements in the near future via a number of smaller-scale patches, including the release of quests and system-side adjustments. At present, we intend for something new to be released about twice a month. Overhauls to the battle system and user interface will also be ongoing, which will make it easier for the players to enjoy the new quests and content being released. The small-scale, system-oriented updates that will be carried out can best be thought of as the necessary groundwork for the battle system revisions.

We will also be looking in earnest at the possibility of implementing an auction house, as well as continuing to improve the functionality of the item search feature. Once prioritized changes to the battle system have been made, we will continue to balance and adjust guildleve and behest rewards, as well as improve overall user-friendliness. I realize there are many things, but for me the first order of business is to create the FINAL FANTASY feeling. To have players take part in engaging quests that place them in a struggle against an impending crisis that threatens their world. To have those players combine their strength and fight alongside one another. I still can't help but wonder what that ominous four-line poem might portend for Eorzea in the coming year...

So is this game any decent now? Have they fixed any of the UI issues? I know that was a real sore point for many players @ launch. If not, have they at least said they are looking to make the UI more streamlined in the near future?

I am bored to tears of WoW and am looking for something fresh. Didn't really play FFXI all that much but this game looks gorgeous and explorer-friendly. I am a fan of huge zones (don't care whether they are seamless or not) and gameplay that doesn't hold your hand telling you "go here, now here, ok on to the next little quest hub then". Does it sound like FFXIV would suit me?

I realize these kinds of questions are annoying to thread regulars, sorry to have offended, but answers are welcomed all the same! :D

hgplayer1

Outdoor Miner said:
So is this game any decent now? Have they fixed any of the UI issues? I know that was a real sore point for many players @ launch. If not, have they at least said they are looking to make the UI more streamlined in the near future?

I am bored to tears of WoW and am looking for something fresh. Didn't really play FFXI all that much but this game looks gorgeous and explorer-friendly. I am a fan of huge zones (don't care whether they are seamless or not) and gameplay that doesn't hold your hand telling you "go here, now here, ok on to the next little quest hub then". Does it sound like FFXIV would suit me?

I realize these kinds of questions are annoying to thread regulars, sorry to have offended, but answers are welcomed all the same! :D

UI has improved greatly since launch but some people still dont like it.

See the article linked above for the latest info on improvements being worked on at the moment.

I dont recommend anyone get into this game right now if youre expecting to have content to see and play through.

If you dont mind jumping in and grinding away at the different classes with a smattering of story based things to do, then yeah its in an ok state right now.

Plus they arent charging the monthly fee right now nor have we heard that they plan to in the near future.

DrDogg

The changes sound great. It honestly sounds like what the original focus of the dev team should've been. Take everything good from FFXI and add/expand to create a new experience.

What I've taken from the new lodestone post:

- July release for PS3/first expansion/relaunch.
- New battle system that encourages party play and hopefully allows more of a challenge
- Class adjusts and changes to the Armoury system to make them feel like individual classes instead of the same class with slight changes
- Auction House!!!
- Beast tribes!
- Faster gathering!!!

Not really pleased about that whole "more gil" thing. We have too much gil as it is, but 90% of what was stated in that post was excellent news. I haven't been very excited to play recently, but it looks like that will be changing in the relatively near future.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Implementing "traditional" names might be for advanced armory classes (put traditional in quotes since Paladins are sometimes called Knights in FF games, same with Dragoon and Lancer). Besides the way the Gladiator works couldnt be called a Paladin anyway.

Agree a Gladiator is more like a Warrior than a Paladin which could be considered a White Knight.

Do you guys think this is too little too late, I feel like I'm now waiting for the next thing to come along (Tera for me).

Like someone else said its going to take a long time to add all this stuff and I already lost faith in this game months ago.

It's really too bad they didn't build on FF11 instead of trying to start from scratch.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
I don't see how they can do a class rename without contradicting the "no wipes" policy at least a little bit.

Well a name is just a name, of course they can add and remove abilities just like WoW has done in the many version updates, reset stat points would be easy enough aswell.

I think they would have to drastically change the mage classes though because neither of them conform to the White Mage standard.

Jinko said:
Do you guys think this is too little too late, I feel like I'm now waiting for the next thing to come along (Tera for me).

I'm right there with you. I'm willing to give the game another shot and see what comes of this new direction.

However Tera is looking really good.

hgplayer1

I dont feel like its too little too late for XIV.

Hell I restarted XI about 3 different times and Im probably gonna get back into XI at some point with all the new content thats in it now plus whats coming soon. XI is a whole different game 3 times over.

Especially with this most recent info about what theyve determined from the survey, its clear to me the game is going to look and play different in a years time.

I believe SE is dedicated to making the game better and Ive been planning on sticking with it even through the rough beta period.

I know some of you guys need to see it with your own two eyes but that aint gonna happen for a while so might as well go play some other game and come back when you quit that one?

Allard

It really isn't too little too late because of two reasons

1. They aren't charging people yet so people who freely bought the game the first time can just jump right back in when they feel it is 'good enough' for their time.

2. They still have an entire platform release to use (The PS3) to jump start the game and give it new life to a different audience.

Basically just think about this game being a beta till the 'relaunch' (PS3 release), a beta that allows you to keep your progress into the main game. The time table for patches is just what I needed to hear. Twice a month starting as early as February (sooner then march which is what I thought they were going to do). If they can get all the stuff they talked about in this Producers article, and do it competantly, at that point I'd play the game even with a nominal fee every month. Because it shows dedication, promise, and I should actually be having a lot of fun at that point.

Forbiden

Rentahamster said:
Lalafell jumping is gonna be hilarious.

Aren't you jumping to conclusions though? From what I read, it seemed like they were only looking into the possibility of adding jumps to the game. And are jumps that big of a deal to people? Because honestly, its a concept that doesn't really appeal to me, it just sounds silly.

One of the things that I liked is the fact that they are going to add gear with rank requirements. While I like the fact that i am not restricted to gear by rank, there's also...very little to look forward to when you're ranking up.

Teknoman

Forbiden said:
Aren't you jumping to conclusions though? From what I read, it seemed like they were only looking into the possibility of adding jumps to the game. And are jumps that big of a deal to people? Because honestly, its a concept that doesn't really appeal to me, it just sounds silly.

One of the things that I liked is the fact that they are going to add gear with rank requirements. While I like the fact that i am not restricted to gear by rank, there's also...very little to look forward to when you're ranking up.

I think its just the idea of people backflipping over Rams all day.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forbiden said:

Uhhh..ok

(If they implement jumping) Lalafell jumping is gonna be hilarious.

Better? :p

Londa

Banned
pro: maybe I'll get Theif back.

con: I'm not looking forward to jump if it gets added. Hopefully its done well and not tacky.

Teknoman

Yeah I cant imagine how FF jumping would be, since its usually some sort of context action (VI-X and XIII), Or crazy jumping like Dissidia or Advent Children.

DrDogg

Allard said:
It really isn't too little too late because of two reasons

1. They aren't charging people yet so people who freely bought the game the first time can just jump right back in when they feel it is 'good enough' for their time.

2. They still have an entire platform release to use (The PS3) to jump start the game and give it new life to a different audience.

Basically just think about this game being a beta till the 'relaunch' (PS3 release), a beta that allows you to keep your progress into the main game. The time table for patches is just what I needed to hear. Twice a month starting as early as February (sooner then march which is what I thought they were going to do). If they can get all the stuff they talked about in this Producers article, and do it competantly, at that point I'd play the game even with a nominal fee every month. Because it shows dedication, promise, and I should actually be having a lot of fun at that point.

This.

The PS3 release is all SE needs. If they botch that it's over though.

jiggle

not surprised by the survey results at all
i picked all of the most popular answers
still shocking they released a game with so little contents

the part about FFXI really fills me with hope
i just wonder how they'll handle all the new players being almost a full year behind
with wipe being out of question
how will they handle the imbalance in gils, and craft skills etc etc

maybe merge all current servers and pool the advance players together?
new currency that converts current gils to a lower amount?
lower sp requirement for all jobs dramatically?
or just ignore the problem completely(like they always do) unless ppl starts to bitch or quit?

Forbiden

jiggle said:
not surprised by the survey results at all
i picked all of the most popular answers
still shocking they released a game with so little contents

the part about FFXI really fills me with hope
i just wonder how they'll handle all the new players being almost a full year behind
with wipe being out of question
how will they handle the imbalance in gils, and craft skills etc etc

maybe merge all current servers and pool the advance players together?
new currency that converts current gils to a lower amount?
lower sp requirement for all jobs dramatically?
or just ignore the problem completely(like they always do) unless ppl starts to bitch or quit?

You kind of answered your own question, I think. I really doubt they'll do much to "balance" new and old players and the difference in skill/money between them. I do like the fact that Yoshida makes it a point to let people know that he's not going to allow for a full wipe. He made a mention how our characters are "us" and a collection of memories and all this junk, and I basically agree. I've done a lot of stuff with my current character, and I'd be really mad if they just said "well, to be fair, we'll wipe your character data and restart you back at zero just like everyone else". I haven't been playing the game for months on end just for them to trash all that "effort" and make me start all over again.

They do, however, have to find a way to restore value to the currency. As it is right now, gil has very little value.

I'm disappointed by one thing - he makes it sound like all the new quests are just going to be more storyline mission quests. I was hoping for all the side quests from XI, which often had great storylines, but weren't part of the main world story. While having storyline quests more often would definitely be an improvement, it's not anywhere near what I was thinking when I voted for more quests.

Forbiden

Dreamwriter said:
I'm disappointed by one thing - he makes it sound like all the new quests are just going to be more storyline mission quests. I was hoping for all the side quests from XI, which often had great storylines, but weren't part of the main world story. While having storyline quests more often would definitely be an improvement, it's not anywhere near what I was thinking when I voted for more quests.

Are you talking about this part?

Quests revolving around the danger facing Eorzea

Because to me that part left open a lot of options, not just storyline missions.

Teknoman

Dreamwriter said:

Well that was confirmed pre-director change (item exchange npc quests), so I guess thats why he didnt touch on it. It was on the early 2011 list.

I am holding out hope that this new director will use his experiences in other MMOGs to make a unique game. If the game turns into FFXI-2 then I will definitely quit. If I wanted to play FFXI again, I would go play fucking FFXI. Fuck that noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom