• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

My buddy asked me to play tonight I had stopped and have been playing DCUO but I said sure why not and its funny at just how much shit in this game is so tiresome.

The biggest issue this game faces is travel.This is the single biggest issue that should be fixed first it's a true inconvenience and it just ruins this game completely. I was doing some crafting tonight and I needed a material willow chips but there was none in the markets and neither willow logs to make them.

The only way I can et them is in Gridania but I have no anima so I cant do that cause I'm not running from Uldah to Gridania it just takes way to long. Im just sitting here thinking that anything you can think of doing in this game always comes with some kind of inconvenience in some way. Its a game and I want to play a game its so tiresome knowing that the item i need is around but getting to it is an issue, I am tired of friends messaging me asking me to come join their party but I'm in a different city with no anima and that idea gets squashed cause no one wants to run for 20 minutes or get on a boat and stand there for 10 minutes to play together.

The SP is fucked so people don't like to party as much with slightly lower people so that kills group shit. The leves are boring as shit and frankly another issue I have is the ridiculously long death penalty which sucks so much ass. 3 minutes really? so much fun running back to your leve only too stand around for two minutes doing nothing and further more the fact they not only cut your hp in half but you have a 50/50 chance of your attack going through.Either it works or you get This action cannot be performed so your almost forced to wait.

I don't know why I played tonight cause it just made me more pissed off with this game nothing went right tonight and everything was such an inconvenience I wasted more time running and searching for shit then actually playing the game.

Forbiden

Cmagus said:
The SP is fucked so people don't like to party as much with slightly lower people so that kills group shit. The leves are boring as shit and frankly another issue I have is the ridiculously long death penalty which sucks so much ass. 3 minutes really? so much fun running back to your leve only too stand around for two minutes doing nothing and further more the fact they not only cut your hp in half but you have a 50/50 chance of your attack going through.Either it works or you get This action cannot be performed so your almost forced to wait.

Perhaps it's because the weakened time in that game was longer, and suckier, but given that I used to play FFXI a lot, I never had much of a problem with the weakened in FFXIV. Hell, in FFXIV they don't cut your MP pool, only your HP pool. The only time that I really HATE the weakened timer is when I'm soloing difficult battle leves. Usually on more difficult leves, I tend to die quite often, so having to wait 3 minutes every time I die to be able to start the leve again, when the stupid things have a time limit of 30 minutes, is stupidly annoying.

Weakened timer isn't so much of an issue when I am grinding solo. Hell, usually when I am grinding solo and die, I decide to take a break from the game so I don't even notice the weakened timer.

I am holding out hope that this new director will use his experiences in other MMOGs to make a unique game. If the game turns into FFXI-2 then I will definitely quit. If I wanted to play FFXI again, I would go play fucking FFXI. Fuck that noise.

I think there has to be some balance. There were things that FFXIV could use from FFXI right now. I mean, hell, the original dev team wanted FFXIV to be so different and so unique when put next to FFXI that they delivered us this mess.

Cmagus said:
The biggest issue this game faces is travel.This is the single biggest issue that should be fixed first it's a true inconvenience and it just ruins this game completely. I was doing some crafting tonight and I needed a material willow chips but there was none in the markets and neither willow logs to make them.

I totally agree with this, as this is one of my major issues with the game right now. Whenever I want to do something different, it usually involves a long travel(although it's also probably my fault given that I refuse to use the basic support that Camps offer when crafting, and always resort to traveling to the Guild to use Masters support).

I don't quite get why there are Chocobo "stables" posted around, and Airship "docks" in every city, but none of those things are accessible. When I was playing the beta, I trully believed that at least Chocobos would be available with the retail release. I mean honestly, they would make travel a LOT less tedious just by letting us ride those things. Screw looking into allowing people to jump, give us faster means of transportation instead.

Perhaps it's because they think that by adding Chocobos/Airship/[insert different method of transportation here], they'd be rendering the Anima system useless, which is silly in my opinion. Even if there were different methods of transportation around, I would probably still use Anima often for travel, given that I've been doing a lot of shit in Coerthas lately, so the fastest way to travel there from either Ul'dah or Limsa is by teleporting. I mean...just offer some variety. The fact that we're stuck with the same method of accelerated travel(Anima and teleportation) for almost 4 months is ridiculous.

While we wait for the new director's patches, why not fuck around a bit with me in Rift?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417223

I've signed up for ZAM and gotten my beta key, you guys should do it too and we can play something different for awhile. The next open beta starts Tuesday and runs until Friday. Those of you familiar with the Aion open betas know how this works, there is a level cap in place and content is opened gradually for you to experience every beta. The first beta was back in December but I didn't sign up until just now. Rift launches on March 3rd so I guess we'll see how FFXIV has progressed by then.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
I am holding out hope that this new director will use his experiences in other MMOGs to make a unique game. If the game turns into FFXI-2 then I will definitely quit. If I wanted to play FFXI again, I would go play fucking FFXI. Fuck that noise.

Agree with the first part but I would rather play FF11-2 than the heap of junk that is FF14 in its current state :D (and no I'm never going back to FF11 so don't even suggest it)

@Cmagus I've felt the same way when I have come back, I sometimes just stand there in daze trying to build up the motivation to run somewhere, no game should make you feel like its sapping the joy out of you LOL

Agree with making chocobo's a priority not only will it cut down on travel time it will make the game seem more like Final Fantasy.

Will give Rift a try, thanks for the heads up :).

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:

So... you're happy to play the piece of shit we have now, but if they make it FFXI-2 you'll quit? I get that you don't want FFXI-2, and I honestly don't think that's what we'll get (just the good stuff from FFXI to create a new experience), but that you'd quit when the game is good because it's similar to FFXI, after staying through the "dark times", is just retarded...

jiggle said:
how will they handle the imbalance in gils, and craft skills etc etc

maybe merge all current servers and pool the advance players together?
new currency that converts current gils to a lower amount?
lower sp requirement for all jobs dramatically?
or just ignore the problem completely(like they always do) unless ppl starts to bitch or quit?

People join MMOs all the time. I didn't start playing FFXI until 3 years after it released. So SE really doesn't need to worry about the PS3 players or the PC players that come in after all the changes.

I do think something needs to be addressed about the gil though. Maybe have some storyline event where a new currency is put in place and you have to exchange all of your gil for it. I wouldn't have an issue with a new currency being 1/10 the value of gil. I think that would even things out again.

Teknoman

I really hope they give the attack animations more of an FF flare as well. Those weapon skills should have individual animations.

Babalu.

great great great news.

I hope they change the class names to classic ff names and change skills around if they have to to distinguish whitemage blackmage or whatever they need to.

jumping i couldn't care less.

UI changes and auction house THUMBS UP!

we need classes to be distinguished from one another, especially in their armors. Class/level restrictions must come back!

They must release the chocobo's and airships between cities!

we need more THINGS out in the world. More doodads and thingamabobbers. More little unique items scattered throughout the world. IT IS SO DEAD.

I'm waiting for Tera and guild wars 2, but I could see myself playing this as well if they can implement some of these things.

PS... When they relaunch the game for ps3/pc, I hope they give the people who have beta tested from the beginning some kind of cool clothes/pet/title for sticking around so long. like an armor that says "I survived the ffxiv launch" or something lol

ps3 players better not get something super cool for preordering that pc wont be able to get without buying another copy ';,,,;'

DrDogg said:
So... you're happy to play the piece of shit we have now, but if they make it FFXI-2 you'll quit? I get that you don't want FFXI-2, and I honestly don't think that's what we'll get (just the good stuff from FFXI to create a new experience), but that you'd quit when the game is good because it's similar to FFXI, after staying through the "dark times", is just retarded...

You are assuming incorrectly that being similar to FFXI would magically make this game good. FFXI is now 8 years old and is built on MMOG concepts, designs, and mechanics which are now utterly obsolete. Making this game similar to FFXI wouldn't make it good, it would just put it on the fast track to having the same fate as EQ2 Extended, a game which is now F2P but everybody still ignores.

Teknoman

Eh, looking at how Yoshi-P writes about what needs to be in game and should've be in game makes me fairly confident XI-2 wont happen.

And even if it does, no -2 FF game has ever been exactly the same as its predecessor right?

Teknoman said:
Eh, looking at how Yoshi-P writes about what needs to be in game and should've be in game makes me fairly confident XI-2 wont happen.

And even if it does, no -2 FF game has ever been exactly the same as its predecessor right?

Yes, Squenix has always been committed to "re-inventing" Final Fantasy every iteration (excepting remakes and ports), which I hope will apply to FFXIV.

DrDogg

Unknown Soldier said:
You are assuming incorrectly that being similar to FFXI would magically make this game good. FFXI is now 8 years old and is built on MMOG concepts, designs, and mechanics which are now utterly obsolete. Making this game similar to FFXI wouldn't make it good, it would just put it on the fast track to having the same fate as EQ2 Extended, a game which is now F2P but everybody still ignores.

I don't share your opinion on FFXI as it's the only MMO I enjoy.

That said, your statement doesn't change the fact that even FFXI-2 would be better than what we have now. You don't have to think FFXI-2 would be a good game, but you can't possible say it would be worse than what we have now.

And I'd hate to break it to you, but FFXIV in its current state is already F2P with no one caring about it... -_-

Cmagus said:
The leves are boring as shit and frankly another issue I have is the ridiculously long death penalty which sucks so much ass. 3 minutes really?
Coming from FF XI where you lost a significant chunk of experience, and World of Warcraft which does the "temporarily weak" thing but your stats go down 75% for 10 minutes, I thought XIV was being super friendly here.
Teknoman said:
All one of them so far, no. :p

Jinko

DrDogg said:
I don't share your opinion on FFXI as it's the only MMO I enjoy.

Well we all know how bias you are to 11 :p

If they made FF14 more like 11 in story and content it would be good, I don't want to go back to slow auto attack and menu driven battles, so I can undersdtand what Unkown is getting at.

Looking at Rift its crazy that the game looks more complete and polished in beta than FFXIV does at retail which is really sad.

Oh well onwards and upwards :D

Jinko said:
Looking at Rift its crazy that the game looks more complete and polished in beta than FFXIV does at retail which is really sad.

Yeah, that's one thing everybody has been saying about Rift, how polished and playable it is right now in beta. Of course, that's also what they said about Aion during it's beta, so I guess we'll see how things turn out in the end.

DrDogg

Jinko said:
Well we all know how bias you are to 11 :p

If they made FF14 more like 11 in story and content it would be good, I don't want to go back to slow auto attack and menu driven battles, so I can undersdtand what Unkown is getting at.

Oh well onwards and upwards :D

And we all know how much Unknown hates it, but that doesn't stop him from making ridiculous comments.

As long as the combat is compelling, challenging, and can be played well with a controller, I don't care if it's auto-attack or menu driven. Right now, I prefer FFXI combat to FFXIV combat, but I wouldn't mind a combination of the two. I wouldn't even mind FFXIV combat with a little more thought involved.

I do want to see a death penalty though. I could care less about dying, and I think that needs to change.

I looked at Rift and I wasn't impressed. It looks way too much like WoW and that's not what I want. I was thinking about DC Online but I don't like the separate servers so I'm waiting until the free month is over to see what server pop numbers are like.

nataku

Death penalties are archaic. Dying is enough of a punishment as it is - you failed at what you were doing, so you died. You wasted your time. I don't want to have to deal with exp loss or some stat penalty for 10 minutes. It's annoying enough I have to wait for that weakness debuff to wear off.

DrDogg

With no death penalty, death is simply an annoyance. With a death penalty, death becomes a threat. I'd rather death be a threat than an annoyance.

Either there should be no consequences for death (which would be lame), or I should fear dying.

Teknoman

Revision of battle loot and quest rewards Ability to obtain weapons and armor via battle loot and quest rewards Implementation in line with quests

Really like the sound of that.

Cmagus

DrDogg said:
With no death penalty, death is simply an annoyance. With a death penalty, death becomes a threat. I'd rather death be a threat than an annoyance.

Either there should be no consequences for death (which would be lame), or I should fear dying.

Death penalties are fine but they dont need to be 3 minutes long.Like 1:30 would be just fine that and having the annoyance of running back from the crystal is more than enough

Forbiden

Cmagus said:
Death penalties are fine but they dont need to be 3 minutes long.Like 1:30 would be just fine that and having the annoyance of running back from the crystal is more than enough

This. That's my fear of death right there, having to run back from the crystal/gate/camp back to where I was at and still have to wait time to start fighting again. Honestly, I don't mind losing SP at all. If they are going to introduce penalties for dying, they need to find a different way. The way you gain SP in this game, it would take even longer than it already does to level up if you lost SP every time you die.

nataku said:
Death penalties are archaic. Dying is enough of a punishment as it is - you failed at what you were doing, so you died. You wasted your time.
If there's no penalty, though, you didn't waste your time--you just proved that having a max HP number is meaningless.

Jinko

Yea I think the current death penalty is fine as is, I sure as hell don't one like FF11's.

Maybe they could have you drop gill when you died LOL, would sure sort the excess of gil out :)

Babalu.

Why are they still talking about retainers and giving us more retainers.

It is almost double annoying just having two retainers now. There is no way i'll go to each ward and give each retainer their specific things. That would literally take hours to do. Just put in the AH and be done with it, stop fighting yourselves. grrr!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Kandinsky said:
Wow SE surely is slow when fixing XIV shit, i mean wtf.
How often does FF11 get updated?

Teknoman said:
+stat numbers from food better be in the UI updates come Feb.
Hell yeah. This vague shit has got to go when it impacts class usefulness and gameplay like that.

I'd also like them to reasses the parameters for getting the "delicious" and "divine" messages to be based on rank only. The current system of having to reassign your stats every single goddamn time you want to optimize your food boost is fucking stupid.

Teknoman

Yeah the problem is, now that they have people who seem to know whats up and joining the modern world as far as MMO conventions go (communication, forums, etc, frequent updates, etc.) the wait for February seems even longer.

I mean I havent logged into XIV since...early January.

Kandinsky said:
FFXI was never in the pathetic state FFXIV currently is :/

Not for us anyway. Wasnt JP launch the same as XIV's current status...as far as content goes anyway.

Kandinsky

Teknoman said:
Not for us anyway. Wasnt JP launch the same as XIV's current status...as far as content goes anyway.
Their first MMO, 2002 Vs 2010, etc..., yeah i think im gonna stay out of this one and just keep waiting.

Edit: And no, you cant even compare FFXI(2002) Vs XIV contentwise

Teknoman

Im not saying its justified, just that it's surprising that they would make the same mistake, to the effect that they have to shuffle the teams around. That, and I wasnt sure how much content XI had at launch compared to XIV (though i'm sure XI wins as far as that goes :p).

I wonder if/how they'll change the story pacing?

Cmagus

I just dont see why they don't just increase the stack size for items.I can't tell you how many stacks of ore and stuff I have from grinding coblyns and stuff and crafting can easily make 12 and it fills so fast for just a little grinding.Also more retainers is abit much why not just have them hold a limit of 999 make life easier then you'll only need one

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why do I get the feeling sooner rather than later the term "PS3 Limitations" will start appearing lol
(I know, PS3 version hasn't even been released yet, but they the devs are gonna coin it for future proofing, saying cant do 99 item or 999, "PS3 Limitations" to be concerned about)

I mean FFXI with "PS2 Limitations" was a fucking cornerstone for the devs

GraveRobberX said:
Why do I get the feeling sooner rather than later the term "PS3 Limitations" will start appearing lol
(I know, PS3 version hasn't even been released yet, but they the devs are gonna coin it for future proofing, saying cant do 99 item or 999, "PS3 Limitations" to be concerned about)

Come on, let's be a little bit fair here. The PS2 was a console with 32MB of RAM. 32 MEGABYTES of RAM. Considering what Squenix was able to accomplish with 32MB of RAM, it's actually pretty impressive how FFXI was able to evolve and grow in scale.

Teknoman

GraveRobberX said:

If they can turn this corner and get XIV back on track and running nicely, I doubt we'll have to worry about limitations excuses any time soon.

Forbiden

GraveRobberX said:

Technically there are already stacks of 999 with stacks of arrows, so there shouldn't be "limitations" should there?

Teknoman

Posted this elsewhere:

I really hope they do decided to drastically revamp the spell/weapon skill effects and animations as well. Makes no sense that every FF game until this point has had some pretty flashy looking/ hard hitting (or at least sounds that way) spells for the game's era except XIV.

I dont mean long summon attack sequences or casting animations, just the basic magic attack displays/impacts from Final Fantasy VII -XIII (just using 3d examples since this is a 3d titles) or just weapon skill impacts from XI. Go back and look at early-mid range spells and attacks in XI. Even those look/sound more powerful than whats in XIV.

The attack effects are just too...subtle.

Great example of the lower up to high range spells in X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlIuu8_pSq4&feature=related

Fast cast/impact animations yet they actually look like they hurt. Couldnt find a series of spells from XI, but that gets my point across

Actually I guess another example would be XI red lotus blade vs XIV red lotus blade. Just make the fire sphere impact larger/have a stronger impact noise or something. Same with provoke.

I really hope this goes along with the whole Final Fantasy feel initiative that Yoshi-P is pushing. Should've been obvious from the start...but thats been stated enough.

Jinko

To be fair FF11's spell effects are pretty weak aswell, unless you are casting firaga or high tier blackmage.

I would deffinately like to see better regimen animation effects though.

Cmagus

I will say though things are slowly changing.I mean it's funny I played DCUO and I have hit cap already.I see DCUO getting all this praise when really comparing it to FFXIV in terms of launch its actually no better.FFXIV had a rough launch because it obviously wasn't ready but alot of the complaints that people including myself have thrown around can almost all be applied to DCUO.

People complained about the leves and lack of anything to do.Well DCUO has a handful of the same missions, go kill 10 of this and so on and the game really lacks in my opinion less depth that FFXIV.There really is less content in DCUO overall its just spread out more.No crafting or secondary function in the game either just go and hit stuff.

People complained the UI in FFXIV was slow and laggy, the menus in DCUO on slow and laggy to almost the same amount.Auction house is the same as far as I know there is nothing like this DCUO as well and really no need for it as the weapons and gear come easier and really isnt that rewarding to gather.

Visually they both look good but I still think FFXIV looks nice personally.DCUO has big audio problems that drop out or don't work.I think people think its better because its laid out more of a traditional MMO style where its talk to this person and get quests.FFXIV needs to spread stuff out but in terms of content there is still more there in FFXIV.

I don't know I just found it funny playing DCUO and the initial fun factor was cool but after a little bit it really became shallow let alone the attrocious chatting and I will say the sense of community is far greater in FFXIV now linkshells and stuff have formed and got off the ground.

Anno

Is anyone here playing with a 5770? Just got a new computer and would like to give this game a try. For that matter does anyone have a North American buddy key they could spare?

Teknoman

Anno said:
Is anyone here playing with a 5770? Just got a new computer and would like to give this game a try. For that matter does anyone have a North American buddy key they could spare?

Heh just found my buddy key last night. I'll PM you with it today.

Anno

Teknoman said:
Heh just found my buddy key last night. I'll PM you with it today.

:fistbump

Thanks man. Is there an official client download out there somewhere? I've had no luck. I ran the benchmark program and it ran great, even at 1920x1080. If the game features similar graphics and performance I'll be hyped.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
To be fair FF11's spell effects are pretty weak aswell, unless you are casting firaga or high tier blackmage.

I would deffinately like to see better regimen animation effects though.

True. I guess what I really want are larger spell effect images, and yeah better regimen animation effects. I know they used motion capture for the weapon skill animations...so maybe thats why there are only two or so per class...but I dont think it would be that hard to mocap a couple more hard slash/stab/punch/swing effects for weapon skills.

nataku

Teknoman said:
True. I guess what I really want are larger spell effect images, and yeah better regimen animation effects. I know they used motion capture for the weapon skill animations...so maybe thats why there are only two or so per class...but I dont think it would be that hard to mocap a couple more hard slash/stab/punch/swing effects for weapon skills.

Even if they stick with the same animation for all weapon skills, they could at the very least add unique colored particle effects for each one. It really shouldn't be too hard. What they did right now screams lazy.

I say this not having seen higher level ones though... so maybe they did and I just didn't play it enough. But as far as I remember it was a white light and then one of two animations.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
The fact that people STILL cant kick someone from a linkshell unless they are near them makes me wonder if anything is being worked on right now. I mean...from a programmers perspective, how long should something like that take? If square is just now asking questions, does that mean nothing has been implimented yet? If so, you guys have a long, long, long, wait ahead of you.

Cmagus

Orin GA said:
The fact that people STILL cant kick someone from a linkshell unless they are near them makes me wonder if anything is being worked on right now. I mean...from a programmers perspective, how long should something like that take? If square is just now asking questions, does that mean nothing has been implimented yet? If so, you guys have a long, long, long, wait ahead of you.

They have probably addressed more issue than we think its just they like to release everything in big patches.I agree there is no reason why they cannot fix small things here and there but don't count on it

Teknoman

Btw refresher for whats expected in the first 2011 updates (which seems to be early Feb?):

First 2011 Version Update

The addition of new guildleves
Adjustments to existing guildleves
The addition of new main scenario quests
The addition of new class quests
The addition of new tutorial quests
Adjustments to existing tutorials

Further adjustments to classes
Further adjustments to combat balance
The further differentiation of actions to enhance class identities
Adjustments to the effect of various parameters
Adjustments to enemy population and territory
The addition of notorious monsters (NMs)
The addition of new battle content
The addition of notorious monster-related battle content
The addition of hamlet defense battles
The addition of item exchange quests
The addition of graphic displays to better clarify the effective ranges of actions
The addition of countdown timers on status icons
The addition of an "/assist" text command

Further adjustments to existing synthesis recipes
The addition of new synthesis recipes
Further improvements to synthesis controls
The addition of a reference list that contains all previously used recipes
Improvements to repair controls
A reduction of the number of commands necessary to begin repairs
The addition of a manual sort function for items
The addition of a gameplay feature that determines the quality of materials obtained from battle and gathering

The addition of "companies" (player-run guilds) <----
The addition of company-owned ships <----
The addition of company-owned buildings
Improvements to existing linkshell features <----
The addition of an in-game/Lodestone mail feature

The addition of new search features

Changes to main menu display format
Changes to inventory list display format
Improvements to various user-interface layouts
Improvements to the Interactions menu
The addition of a help text window
The reorganization of on-screen information

The reformatting of existing widgets, allowing for access of multiple windows at the same time
Improvements to Actions & Traits menu response time
Improvements to mouse and keyboard controls
Improvements to character controls The addition of drag and drop functionality
The addition of mouseover popup help text
The addition of right-click menus
The addition of a feature that will allow the cutting and pasting of macro buttons from the macro palette

etc.

Hoping they deliver on this and then some, following up with a second update in the same month with either more content or more fixes/adjustments. The kick linkshell member function will most likely be fixed once companies are implemented. So yeah, the game should be in the state that it should've been released in a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom