• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
Fuck that, I want Blitzball. Make it happen, Squenix!

I should create a thread on the forum about that.

Make it as something similar to blitzball, or you're probably gonna get a troll landslide.

Cmagus

I am all for jumping sucks getting stuck on small ledges honestly if they look at Final Fantasy 13 I liked the jumping they had in that something simple where you can press a button when you see a little icon.In terms of audio they do need some in caves and what not so bland hearing nothing in caves.Also I hope they fix the ambience in the volume control when everything is mute you can still hear the noises and its loud it over powers any audio your hearing.

Jinko

Man I really don't want to see zone lines as bad as FF11, almost no MMO's these days have zoning, seems like a step backwards.

Rawk Hawk

Cmagus said:
Go back to the crystal and abandon it so that the rest can finish in the group who don't have it linked.
Can you do this trick with local quests? Like if they finally give me a higher than rank 1 local quest, can I make the items and abandon the quest and then redo it?

If so that would be pretty sweet lol, I have such bad luck with getting good ones.

zlatko

Banned
So I haven't been up to date on the game for about 2 months I'd say. Last thing I read was the lead director got the boot and they brought in a new guy.

Where is the game now in its "development" cycle ? I know it's still free to play and they added notorious monsters. How much content has been added? Did they introduce an AH? Are there more leves, better rewards for them, and more varied in what you do? Did the story missions finally get to FFXI quality to have a challenge from them? Was more equipment added? What's crafting like now? Did they fix how exp is handled both solo and give a reason to want to group up? Any end game content yet ? Is it more like FFXI yet?

That about wraps up what I want to know. :p

Rawk Hawk

Blocking, do you have to use Guard to block, or if you STR is high enough will you randomly just block attacks while spamming attacks of your own? If the second is true, I might need to start putting some points into STR, mainly have been focusing on VIT.

Darte

Rawk Hawk said:
Blocking, do you have to use Guard to block, or if you STR is high enough will you randomly just block attacks while spamming attacks of your own? If the second is true, I might need to start putting some points into STR, mainly have been focusing on VIT.

at the moment, STR only raises the amount of damage mitigated when an attack is blocked.

Also at the moment, I don't think theres any ability or trait or even sentinel level where auto block occurs (though i remember tanaka saying something about it long time ago...)

Riposte

As far as mini-games go, I just want them to make Parley intricate and interesting. It should be a good representation of a "diplomacy" option.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What do you think of my ideas on a change in the way death is handled?

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...quences-of-death?p=24705&viewfull=1#post24705

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...quences-of-death?p=24728&viewfull=1#post24728

I do not think that having XP loss is a good way to make death more threatening. There are too many negatives that outweigh the positives, and it discourages more than it encourages.

I agree that the current system is a little too lenient and most players tend to throw caution to the wind and just go for it since the penalty of death isn't that severe.

There are better ways to make a player not want to die. How about this:

For every 24 hours a player goes without dying, they get one "life point". Upon accumulating 10 life points (maximum of 15), the player gets to enjoy certain bonuses that he can choose (up to 2): +5% attack/mag attack, +5% defense/mag defense, +5% accuracy/mag acc, -5% MP cost, +5% TP gain, -10% gil from NPC shops, +2% SP bonus.

Characters with 15 life points also get some sort of physical appearance boost, like a healthy glow, or something. I dunno, something that looks cool and attractive, but not too gaudy.

The lowest amount of life points you can ever have is -5. If you ever have a life point total between -5 and -1, your appearance takes on a slightly more sickly look. Nothing too severe, as that would discourage a lot of ppl, but noticeable enough so that I can look at that player and know, "that dude dies too much".

Upon dying -

A player loses 3 anima.

All gear except the weapon takes a 15% durability hit.

You lose 10 life points.

Weakness status for 3 minutes.

If a player is raised -

You only lose 5 life points.

Weakness status for 3 minutes.

If a player is raised with the skill "Raise II" -

You only lose 5 life points.

Or how about this: Hardcore Mode

The game Diablo II gives you a choice of playing in hardcore mode where the penalty of death is permanent. This gives players who want that kind of experience the option to have it, and the players who don't want it can just play normal mode.

This same concept can be fit to FF14.

Let there be some NPC somewhere that gives you a quest ( a difficult quest), and after you complete the quest you have the ability to go back to the NPC at anytime and toggle your play mode to either "normal" or "hardcore".

Normal mode is just like how we play now.

If you choose to toggle hardcore mode, you will experience SP loss upon death. However, you will get a special visual cue on your character's appearance, or some kind of cool marker that let's everyone else know that you're a badass.

In hardcore mode, you get +5% atk or def or +5% SP gain or gil from leves or whatever, I dunno, some kinda of incentive to balance the risk/reward.

Teknoman

zlatko said:
So I haven't been up to date on the game for about 2 months I'd say. Last thing I read was the lead director got the boot and they brought in a new guy.

Where is the game now in its "development" cycle ? I know it's still free to play and they added notorious monsters. How much content has been added? Did they introduce an AH? Are there more leves, better rewards for them, and more varied in what you do? Did the story missions finally get to FFXI quality to have a challenge from them? Was more equipment added? What's crafting like now? Did they fix how exp is handled both solo and give a reason to want to group up? Any end game content yet ? Is it more like FFXI yet?

That about wraps up what I want to know. :p

There is no end game yet (I dont think they would add that so soon anyway).

The story missions havent been changes/adjusted...yet.

Sidequests (like the normal FFXI npc quest) have been added, and some are chain quests.

Lots of UI and general playablility adjustments have been made (much better targeting system, larger enemies for that FF feel, no menu lag, and a closer to AH market ward system). The market ward is just missing a price history now, but other than that its close.

Really it would be best just to check out some of the patch note posts a page or so back, to get an unbiased impression.

And Renta, I like your second idea. Not sure if that would cause a divide between the players though.

Unknown Soldier said:
Um, yes. The only people who still want an AH are the people who quit during launch month and haven't played since. Nobody who has actually been playing the game wants an AH.

I don't want an AH necessarily, but I'd like the market wards to be easier to "sort."

hertog said:
So what's the general consensus about FF XIV now?
And any idea on the quality of the ps3 version?

I think the game is fun as is but I feel like the devs really want to hit the ground running on the PS3 and whip the game into prime shape by that platforms release.

Darte

Servers to shut down temporarily due to the earthquake in Japan. Notification of when coming soon.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=25e1157a5113e8233b5598ce8525f31e04aa8529

To the SQUARE ENIX community:

As you know, Japan has been hit with a terrible disaster this week. We have received and greatly appreciate all the kind words of concern from our fans and players.

As a result of the earthquake, we temporarily may have to shut down the servers hosting FINAL FANTASY XI and FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We are now analyzing the situation and studying very hard what we can do to fulfill our social responsibilities under the unusual circumstances, and to mitigate the inconvenience to our players. According to our best estimate at this point, we will temporarily have to shut down the servers shortly. We will give you as much advance notice as possible under the rapidly changing circumstances. If the servers are shut down, we will try to provide updates in the Information section of our Official Website below.

FINAL FANTASY XIV , The Lodestone: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/
FINAL FANTASY XI Official Website: http://www.playonline.com/

We sincerely apologize and appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,
SQUARE ENIX

TheFatOne

My vacation ends this week. It's time for me to go back to work. So I won't be able to play this game as much :( I hope I can hit r50 arc before they add end game content.

Lionheart

Unknown Soldier said:
Um, yes. The only people who still want an AH are the people who quit during launch month and haven't played since. Nobody who has actually been playing the game wants an AH.
Uh, speak for yourself, please.

I still play (casually) and while I loved to sell most of my loot in FF XI on the AH, knowing exactly what's worth selling and for how much by just checking the history, I just can't be bothered to sell anything regularly in FF XIV at all. As a casual player, it's just no fun at all, while I really enjoyed it in FF XI.

Eight reasons (first five are (in)directly the cause of having no AH):

- Selling history of every item available.
- Ease of use (both buying and selling) still isn't the same and I don't see any advantages as to why.
- Having one retainer while as a seller of all kinds of loot (not a crafter), I would kinda have to have one for each ward to optimally sell my goods (lower tax)
- Crashing wards (yes, may have been fixed now, but took long enough). Especially for a casual player, I just want to sell my loot every couple of days and coming back seeing nothing sold because the wards crashed AGAIN is frustrating. Putting the items up again, coming back and the wards crashed AGAIN? Nice...
- Now and then enjoying the small surprise that an Item that I put up on the AH for like 10000 sold for like double that, because some guy doesn't care about the price, expected it to be more expensive, was in a hurry, or whatever. I just like that part of auctions.

Other reasons why I sell less in FF XIV than I did in FF XI:
- Items have to be 100 % repaired to sell again... Never understood that and as a casual player that won't level each and every craft, without being able to go to an NPC to repair it 100 %, I just sell most old gear at NPCs...
- Still there are so many +1 / +2 / +3 items, WTF, weren't they going to phase those out? I sell most +1 / +2 / +3 items at an NPC, because they're hardly worth more and I always got way more regular ones.
- Being able to equip everything makes lower gear worth less.

Edit: oh, and you know what actually is the worst part of this all? Implementing these retainers from scratch and going through all of the changes that they've put in since launch must have cost much, much more time and effort than a simple AH, which is just a simple interface with lists of items on sale. Man, if you think of the time and resources they could have saved by just improving on the FF XI AH and call it a day... They could have used those resources elsewhere.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=5dff88cfd260fd4cbe729ae70550163846399ef0

Due to the continuous earthquakes occurring in the eastern regions of Japan since Mar. 11, 2011, the power companies in Japan have encouraged everyone to cooperate by conserving as much energy as possible as it is feared there will not be enough power supply. Based on the current situation, we have decided to shut down the game servers temporarily, and therefore to suspend services of FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline temporarily.

The services will be temporarily suspended for at least a week starting on Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT). We will provide an update regarding the reinstatement of the service as additional information becomes available. In connection with the temporary suspension of services, players will not be billed for any PlayOnline service throughout the April billing cycle. Additional information regarding this matter will also be posted as it becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your understanding of this unusual situations.

[Date & Time]
A week starting from Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV
- FINAL FANTASY XI
- PlayOnline

* Additionally, the following services are currently unavailable:

- Friend List Plus
- FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
- PlayOnline Friend List Application
- Community Site Link Registration: Owner Menu

* Please be advised that we will continue to operate the official websites, FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone, forums, and the SQUARE ENIX Support Center to be able provide our customers with updates on the current situation.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:

I see, i have played on and off and I still want an AH, plus new people to the game will want one which is more important IMO.

Right now the market wards are better but still a pain in the ass to use.

I think AH was fairly high on the list of what players wanted on the questionarre also.

So even Eorzea isn't safe. Not surprising, though I wouldn't have guessed all their game servers are in Japan. Or maybe they just didn't want people from the shutdown servers whining about the others.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So even Eorzea isn't safe. Not surprising, though I wouldn't have guessed all their game servers are in Japan. Or maybe they just didn't want people from the shutdown servers whining about the others.

FFXI and FFXIV are like EVE. All the servers are in one place and everybody in the world plays on the same servers.

Cmagus

I was hitting abit of a fatigue with this game lately so a week away might do me good plus think of the glorious anima when we return.Hopefully they get things sorted out over there after that tragedy im ok giving this game up for a week.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Oh wow, i seriously was getting tired too. A week is welcome lol.. the reason for it being down though is sad.

I'll miss you guys! Even you Kawaii. :p

Hmm guess I can work on the website now :O

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Coldsnap said:
already miss it ; ;
This is going to delay our static, we are all close to reaching your rank though. My GLA is 26 and CONJ 25

Not really, Cotton was gonna be gone this whole week so now he wont have to miss a thing and we can start asap next week or whenever the game gets back up.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Emenis said:
Not really, Cotton was gonna be gone this whole week so now he wont have to miss a thing and we can start asap next week or whenever the game gets back up.
Yeah, it actually works out in a weird kinda way.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
staticneuron said:
No biggie. I just took the time off because I have been trying to get my fathers body from cali so we could have a funeral yesterday.

I was just messing with ya. Sorry about your papa... Jurial?

Yeah, No prob. I get it because of the context of what is happening in Japan, which I find horrible as well. I am just lamenting "time" itself. There never seems to be enough of it.

Coldsnap

staticneuron said:
No biggie. I just took the time off because I have been trying to get my fathers body from cali so we could have a funeral yesterday.

Sorry to hear that, i lost my father a few months ago as-well.

staticneuron said:
Yeah, No prob. I get it because of the context of what is happening in Japan, which I find horrible as well. I am just lamenting "time" itself. There never seems to be enough of it.

Don't worry, in the end every one of us will die. I'm enjoying my time off from FFXIV by doing silly things like submitting my tax return, ripping/demuxing/remuxing/burning some HD DVDs in my collection I've been meaning to convert to Blu-rays, and playing some games I needed to catch up on. Right now I'm playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, which is by the way really fucking awesome.

Coldsnap

So here are my prediction on the downed servers:

It's not going to be a week. Because of extreme situation in Japan I think this delay is either going to be extremely short or extremely long.

It was a courtesy to conserve power by shutting down the server, they did it as a precaution and made the decision early to prevent bad PR. In this case servers will be back up in a few days, less than a week.

or

The power usage situation in Japan is much more serious than realized...

Darte

I wonder if this means development is also stopped. Not that I'm complaining or anything as dealing with what happened in Japan takes precedent first, but I'm curious whether development in Japan has stopped for the time being...

Coldsnap

Darte said:
I wonder if this means development is also stopped. Not that I'm complaining or anything as dealing with what happened in Japan takes precedent first, but I'm curious whether development in Japan has stopped for the time being...

Wondered about this too, I checked twitter's of people in the industry who are based out of Tokyo and it seems like a lot of them are continuing with their activities.

Cmagus

Doesnt sound like SE offices were hit hard it was mostly the coastal towns I would assume they are probably not working for a few days though with everything that is going on everything is probably all disorganized and I am sure most are probably with their families right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom