• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rentahamster said:
Post on the official forums with me!

:D

Lotsa people on there with bad ideas on how to fix this game (including me) har har har.

I have stuff to do (see above). :3

I've been alternating playing Castlevania: LoS with some Resonance of Fate. RoF is completely and totally batshit awesome with a combat system which not only feels fluid but also looks ridiculous and flashy and totally enjoyable to watch. You would die of boredom watching someone fighting in FFXIV, whereas in RoF you get distracted with all the people running and jumping around and pumping enemies full of sweet hot lead while the screen yells "SMACKDOWN!" and "BONUS SHOT!" at you in huge letters and then you forget to push the button you planned on pushing. It's amazing that an RPG manages to capture the whole flashy John Woo-style bullet ballet look of combat better than the official John Woo-style bullet ballet game Stranglehold. It's everything Bioware failed to accomplish in Dragon Age II: "Push a button, and something awesome happens." That's RoF's combat in a nutshell hollowpoint.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
I have stuff to do (see above). :3

I've been alternating playing Castlevania: LoS with some Resonance of Fate. RoF is completely and totally batshit awesome with a combat system which not only feels fluid but also looks ridiculous and flashy and totally enjoyable to watch. You would die of boredom watching someone fighting in FFXIV, whereas in RoF you get distracted with all the people running and jumping around and pumping enemies full of sweet hot lead while the screen yells "SMACKDOWN!" and "BONUS SHOT!" at you in huge letters and then you forget to push the button you planned on pushing. It's amazing that an RPG manages to capture the whole flashy John Woo-style bullet ballet look of combat better than the official John Woo-style bullet ballet game Stranglehold. It's everything Bioware failed to accomplish in Dragon Age II: "Push a button, and something awesome happens." That's RoF's combat in a nutshell hollowpoint.

What the hell, you are playing the exact two games I'm playing. o_O

I just started RoF last night though but been playing Castlevania for a couple weeks now off and on.

Coldsnap

well since everyone is going on about game they are playing; I'm finishing Bullet-Storm, also started Torchlight, and bought Enslaved for $14.99. Got some stuff to play until servers are back up!

Rawk Hawk

I finished my Soul Level 124 BBS build in Demon's Souls and have been trying out PvP for the first time. I'm currently getting the crap kicked out of me.

TheFatOne

Emenis said:
What the hell, you are playing the exact two games I'm playing. o_O

I just started RoF last night though but been playing Castlevania for a couple weeks now off and on.

Castlevania is a great series. With many great and wonderful games. Well it looks like I'm going to have more time than I thought I would. Went to the new store, and they are combining our store with the store from the next city. So that means I'm not going to get the 30-40 hours a week I used to get. I'm probably going to get 10-20 hours if I'm lucky.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
TheFatOne said:
Castlevania is a great series. With many great and wonderful games. Well it looks like I'm going to have more time than I thought I would. Went to the new store, and they are combining our store with the store from the next city. So that means I'm not going to get the 30-40 hours a week I used to get. I'm probably going to get 10-20 hours if I'm lucky.

:O

Well at least you can start playing some castlevania games now. :) I also just started Dragon Quest 9 which is pretty damn cool. Up until I bumped the cart on the side of a door and it froze making me lose about 40mins of gameplay. o.o

Teknoman

Resonance of Fate is awesome, and I need to pick it back up before I forget the battle system.

Anyway, Pokemon White, Bulletstorm, and now KZ3.

Side stuff: Brushing up on MvC 3 before I jump back online, waiting on Castlevania DLC, and trying to finish Bayonetta. Ys 2 and Tactics will have to wait a little.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:
I'm not playing anything, lol.

Play Homefront and kill more North Koreans. I know how much you like doing that. You could also build an obstacle course for your hamsters and laugh as they try and run through it.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Coldsnap said:
watching how this stuff is going down I'm not sure if we will be playing XIV this month at all...

Yeah, if only to conserve energy. They probably are still working on the game though just when time permits. It's fine though I'm not gonna whine about it like somone I know.

*drink chocolate milk*

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Emenis said:
Play Homefront and kill more North Koreans. I know how much you like doing that. You could also build an obstacle course for your hamsters and laugh as they try and run through it.
Ahhh Crysis.

Hmm, I know, I'll go get my N64 from the closet and have a rousing game of Pokemon Snap.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Coldsnap said:
i miss this stupid game
In the meantime I've been trying to convince this dude on the official forums how wrong he is.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...nt-Calculations.?p=37534&viewfull=1#post37534

He doesn't seem to give up.

duty_calls.png

Darte

Letter from the Producer posted on the forums:

Letter from the Producer, VI (03/16/2011)

As you may have heard, northeastern Japan was recently struck by a devastating earthquake and tsunami. I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to all affected by this great tragedy.

To do our part in the electricity conservation effort, we have temporarily taken our game servers offline. I apologize deeply for the inconvenience this causes all of you, and ask for your patience and understanding.

I would also like to thank all of the players who have offered words of support and sympathy on the FFXIV forums. I made a brief post myself, but would like to take this opportunity to do so formally and report on the current state of the development team.

Tokyo, where our development and operation teams are based, has suffered minimal damage from the earthquake and its after effects. We have confirmed the safety of all our team members, but there are those with family in the affected regions. Due to this, the concerns of the nuclear plants, and the ongoing aftershocks, we are not at our best.

The planned blackouts in the Kanto region have disrupted public transportation, preventing many from even making it to work. In addition, our French and German localization staff have left Tokyo at the urging of their respective embassies. For these reasons, and to allow our staff to focus on their safety and that of their families, I have decided to make adjustments to the development schedule.

We were working to release patches 1.16a and 1.17 by the end of March, but now anticipate a delay of one to two weeks. During this time, we will not only be making minor improvements, but also directing our efforts on laying the groundwork for future content.

I had intended to announce this in a future letter, but we will release information regarding the Grand Companies of Eorzea (what were referred to as “public companies” in previous posts) just before patch 1.17 goes live. We are currently readying a page dedicated to this exciting new feature, and hope to have it up on the Lodestone shortly.

Despite current conditions, we are doing all we can to release the patches and get you adventuring again as quickly as possible.

Talk to you again soon!

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director Naoki Yoshida

kiryogi

Banned
Had to ring in. Figures when I was gonna finally try to catch up servers go down for awhile D: Oh well. Still gaming a lot on other fronts... Lots of Musou...

kiryogi said:
Had to ring in. Figures when I was gonna finally try to catch up servers go down for awhile D: Oh well. Still gaming a lot on other fronts... Lots of Musou...

I'm currently on Chapter 3 of RoF. The game's difficulty level is pretty brutal in the beginning chapters since you have only noob weapons, you only get 3 bezels, your HP is still low, and then the game throws bosses at you which can tear you apart. Because you have so few bezels you can't spam Hero Actions on the bosses the way you do on the trash mobs and the game turns into a cat-and-mouse affair where you try to plink the boss down while avoiding it's big attacks. I can see why a lot of reviews got mad playing this game, because the difficulty spikes are pretty hardcore.

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm currently on Chapter 3 of RoF. The game's difficulty level is pretty brutal in the beginning chapters since you have only noob weapons, you only get 3 bezels, your HP is still low, and then the game throws bosses at you which can tear you apart. Because you have so few bezels you can't spam Hero Actions on the bosses the way you do on the trash mobs and the game turns into a cat-and-mouse affair where you try to plink the boss down while avoiding it's big attacks. I can see why a lot of reviews got mad playing this game, because the difficulty spikes are pretty hardcore.

Yea, I didn't have the patience for that either. I felt the same thing and thought it wasn't my cup of tea. But yet I can play Demon Souls. Weird.

Forbiden

Unknown Soldier said:
If you're in that big a hurry buy a plane ticket to Japan, fly over there, and assist personally in the recovery efforts.

Im not even sure THAT would allow people to play sooner...that is, unless he has some magical solution for the energy crisis(which I would say, is only going to get worse before it gets better, so I wouldn't bet on that "one week" frame they gave us being accurate at all).

I don't really mind the wait, even though I DO want to get back to playing. In the past week, all the time I would have dedicated to FFXIV has instead gone to replaying some of the Ys games and Sora no Kiseki FC and SC.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
They should just move the servers to my house. Err...I mean, San Francisco.

In other news, I can't stop feeding the trolls on the official forums. I keep responding to them no matter how hard they try to ignore how much I destroy their stupid ideas.

I need help.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Coldsnap said:
yip, sunday they will tell us the servers will be down for longer :(

Not sunday..

Below is an update regarding the temporary suspension of the FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline services.

Originally, we announced that the services will be temporarily suspended for about a week starting on Mar. 13, 2011 10:00 (GMT). However, due to ongoing issues with the lack of energy, we have decided to extend the suspension until Mar. 22, 2011 (JST). We will re-evaluate the situation on Mar. 22, 2011 (JST) and provide everyone with another update regarding this matter.

Forbiden

staticneuron said:
Called it!

I called it pretty much as soon as they said they were taking the servers down to help energy conservation(although I think it was in the thread over in the Gaming section).

Still...I am sure on March 22 they're just going to extend the suspension of the servers, because I somehow doubt their energy problems will get considerably better in the next 4 days...but here's to hoping D:

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Hello!

My modem died yesterday and I just got myself a new one. Ah, the internet, when you don't have it you want it and when you have it you don't know what to look up.

Anyways, it's gonna be down a it longer huh? oh wells. I should post on the official forums more often but I find myself not caring about a lot of the topics. o.o The egg thread is magnificent though.

Rentahamster said:

In other news, I can't stop feeding the trolls on the official forums. I keep responding to them no matter how hard they try to ignore how much I destroy their stupid ideas.

I need help.

My God man, just go play another game.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:

I need help.

Come see me in my office... I'll get you fixed up. :D

lol

Coldsnap

Yea, the official forums started and ended with the egg thread.

seriously though, I want to play this damn game! At least we wont be burnt out anymore...

Darte

Below is an update regarding the temporary suspension of the FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline services.

Originally, we announced that the services will be temporarily suspended for about a week starting on Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT). However, due to ongoing issues with the lack of energy, we have decided to extend the suspension until Mar. 22, 2011 (JST). We will re-evaluate the situation on Mar. 22, 2011 (JST) and provide everyone with another update regarding this matter.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your continued understanding of this unusual situation.

[Date & Time]
From Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV
- FINAL FANTASY XI
- PlayOnline

* The following services, normally accessible from the official PlayOnline homepage (http://www.playonline.com/), will be unavailable during this time.

- Friend List Plus
- FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
- PlayOnline Friend List Application
- Community Site Link Registration: Owner Menu

* Additionally, the following types of support will also be temporarily unavailable:
- PlayOnline Password Recovery
- PlayOnline Account Cancellation
- All activities requiring the confirmation of personal information

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=b2d94ce85b5b5569be0dedee33feb43eae851f58

Coldsnap said:
this game needs to come back on, I just bought Tron the video game... halp

Nope. I hope it doesn't come back until after I get through RoF. And then I need to get through Castlevania: LoS. Squenix should just take the game down for a month so I can even get through my Crysis playthrough and tackle the games on my deep backlog like Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls. With the new ME2 DLC "The Arrival" arriving (HA!) on March 29th, I think it would be nice to have a clear field until after then.

My current recommendation to Squenix is to bring FFXIV back sometime in early May. I have backlog to get through, dammit!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
My God man, just go play another game.
lol, did you read that thread too? I'm kinda sad because the two people whose arguments I've been destroying haven't posted since yesterday. I hope they haven't given up...

Emenis said:
Come see me in my office... I'll get you fixed up. :D

lol
The last time I entered your office I left with a headache, a missing kidney, an extra penis, and a throbbing pain in my nostril.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:
lol, did you read that thread too? I'm kinda sad because the two people whose arguments I've been destroying haven't posted since yesterday. I hope they haven't given up...

The last time I entered your office I left with a headache, a missing kidney, an extra penis, and a throbbing pain in my nostril.

Oh sorry, before I attached that extra penis I thought it would be funny to stick it up your nose a few times. That's probably why you had a headache too..

But the kidney.. I had nothing to do with that. o_O

Once I was done I told my assistant Ratso to wake you up while I went to lunch.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:
I don't remember that at all. I just recall you feeding me pizza.

OH, that's right.

Who the hell did I do all that other stuff to then?! O_O

Well, you can come by my office anyway so I can remove that extra penis and feed you some more pizza.

Edit: lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom