• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
On Friday

As part of power conservation measures enacted following the Tohoku earthquake, our game servers were shut down on Mar. 13, 2011 10:00 (GMT) and services for FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline (hereafter referred to as "these services") were temporarily suspended. We have determined a date for the restoration of these services, and would like to share this information with you.

Operating the servers for these services makes up 11.6% of the total power consumed by our Tokyo office (based on February 2011 records). We have shut down our air conditioning system (8.8%) and enacted other power conservation measures, such as reducing lighting in our offices, to achieve over 10% in energy usage reductions. With these energy saving measures in place, we will be able to bring our servers back online and restore service to FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline on Mar. 25, 2011 11:00 (GMT). All other services, such as those offered on the PlayOnline website, that were temporarily suspended will also be restored at the same time. Please be aware, however, that we may once again be required to suspend services in the event that the power situation worsens.

We offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the temporary suspension of these services, and thank you for your understanding. As noted in our original notice regarding the suspension of these services, customers will not be charged any monthly fees for FINAL FANTASY XI throughout the April billing cycle.

We at the Square Enix group are trying to act in a proactive manner in order to provide support towards the relief and restoration efforts in the face of this unprecedented disaster while providing reliable service to our customers, and we thank you for your understanding and support.

Renta wins!

hgplayer1

I kinda wish they wouldnt have announced a date and just brought the servers back up and then let us know that they are up.

Its gonna be like release day trying to get logged in. I can see the posts now "What time are the servers supposed to be up?"

I also wish there was some option to let me choose to pay for April. Send me an in game gift instead.

Jonnyram

Robobandit said:
man.. giving up their office AC to get the servers back online.. that's dedication, imho.
The servers will go down in summer again then, because this energy problem is going to go on at least a year.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Rentahamster said:
I would guess we'd see the servers back up by Friday, if not Wednesday.

I am basing this on the consultation from my magic 8-balls.

Balls.
we will be able to bring our servers back online and restore service to FINAL FANTASY XIV on Mar. 25, 2011 4:00 (PDT)
Gromph said:
Renta wins!
Pai Pai Master said:
All hail Renta's balls.
Victoly!

My balls need to be nerfed.

Forbiden

staticneuron said:
Wouldn't it be better if they could relocate their servers to a different city, away from affected areas? Is this issue nationwide?

That was suggested in this thread already. My guess is that there are far too many complications involved in moving the servers that it's more convenient to simply shut them down temporarily than relocating all of them. Several issues come up when thinking about moving those things, like how will you transport them, and not only that, but do it in a way that the servers themselves don't get damaged. There are also a lot of these things that would need to be moved, given that we're talking about the FFXI, FFXIV, PoL, and all other servers that are necessary to provide services(patch server, log in server, ect), so shutting them down and then restoring them might have just been an all around easier solution.

Forbiden said:
That was suggested in this thread already. My guess is that there are far too many complications involved in moving the servers that it's more convenient to simply shut them down temporarily than relocating all of them. Several issues come up when thinking about moving those things, like how will you transport them, and not only that, but do it in a way that the servers themselves don't get damaged. There are also a lot of these things that would need to be moved, given that we're talking about the FFXI, FFXIV, PoL, and all other servers that are necessary to provide services(patch server, log in server, ect), so shutting them down and then restoring them might have just been an all around easier solution.

Well, that is what I meant. Not physically move them, but replicate them somewhere else. I am just trying to figure out if there isn't some other data center/ source they can use to host this information.

I would have thought SE had better redundancy than keeping all that information in the same spot.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
staticneuron said:
I would have thought SE had better redundancy than keeping all that information in the same spot.
500x_reggie_not_my_problem.jpg

Edit: They probably have off-site backups, but just having that might not be enough to start up something like FF11 + FF14 + POL withing a weeks notice.

wwm0nkey

yay the servers are going to be back up Friday :D

Ok I know this is the FFXIV thread but since I just bought FFXI complete edition for the 360 for $10 what all should I expect out of that game since I assume some of you have played it.

Coldsnap

Lets plan something for friday night? Start static? My Conj and GLD are behind like 2-3 levels but that should be no problem to catch up to. I'm also fine with waiting a few more days and just hanging out in the battlewards friday...

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Rentahamster said:
Shouldn't be hard to get everyone to 28 in one leve reset. Most of us all have the Limsa necro leves too now, so it'll be easy.

My lazy ass still has a r13 glad that needs to get to 28. lol

Gromph

Staff Member
TheFatOne said:
Well once the servers are up maybe I should actually work on my arc instead of doing random shit for no reason.

I should level arc 45->50 this week and focus on FSH 39->50 and Cul 37->50 also CRP 28->50 :D

Kenaf

Neo Member
This question may be a bit broad, but could anyone roughly summarize what improvements have been made to this game since the public beta? I remember really disliking the User Interface (action bars reset everytime you switch classes..), and the whole questing system where you have to wait for them to refresh/renew or whatever. I loved the crafting system (especially how you could level up doing it), but was always dreadfully confused on how to find recipes short of Googling it.

Do they offer any sort of "free trial"? Any word on the PS3 release?

Gromph

Staff Member
Kenaf said:
This question may be a bit broad, but could anyone roughly summarize what improvements have been made to this game since the public beta? I remember really disliking the User Interface (action bars reset everytime you switch classes..), and the whole questing system where you have to wait for them to refresh/renew or whatever. I loved the crafting system (especially how you could level up doing it), but was always dreadfully confused on how to find recipes short of Googling it.

Do they offer any sort of "free trial"? Any word on the PS3 release?

It's still free.

And read.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/verup

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So I randomly ran into one of the good players in the local Street Fighter scene while out to dinner tonight. He asked me why I haven't been around for Street Fighter 4 lately, and I told him it was because of Final Fantasy 14.

Then he shoryukened me. I deserved that.

Rentahamster said:
So I randomly ran into one of the good players in the local Street Fighter scene while out to dinner tonight. He asked me why I haven't been around for Street Fighter 4 lately, and I told him it was because of Final Fantasy 14.

Then he shoryukened me. I deserved that.

Funny stuff. So you actually play fighters at an arcade? I miss that.

Edit: I just read the latest interview for Guild Wars 2. I think I am already in love. It sounds awesome.

Some of the stuff they are talking about I hoped would have been in FFXIV.

Synless

Hopefully I will be starting this today pending my Windows 7 disc shows up. Anyone want to teach me the ropes on here when It set up and updated?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Synless said:
Hopefully I will be starting this today
No you won't.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/news/detail?newsId=7926574eb5c7c8c20d6976461401a3e6091969af

Try Friday.

Synless said:
Anyone want to teach me the ropes on here when It set up and updated?
The Lodestone actually has some decent info about the game.
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Also a bunch of info on what got changed here:
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/index

There's a new player section on the official forums, but it's kinda lame:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/forums/142-NEW-PLAYER-HELP

The newbie forums on the fansites have much more good info:
http://www.ffxivcore.com/forum/10-ffxiv-getting-started/
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1283069086196859039&page=1

Some info may be outdated.

Start your character on Lindblum.

Synless

I tried running the benchmark today (bootcamp: windows 7 64-bit) on my Mac and it keeps saying "data corrupted: unable to run this application". Any reason why? My directx is updated, and so are my drivers from what I can tell.

Rentahamster said:
I just wanna log on for the sheer curiosity of seeing just how many people are going to be online, and who they are.

I'm 99% sure that the same people you always saw online before the shutdown will be the ones online after the restart. It's becoming increasingly clear that the people who quit are quit for good and will never come back. I'm tired of carrying a torch for a game that nobody seems to care about.

Quick, point out the people who were still playing the game before the shutdown in this group shot! :(
bigparty.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Aww, good times :)

Unknown Soldier said:
I'm 99% sure that the same people you always saw online before the shutdown will be the ones online after the restart. It's becoming increasingly clear that the people who quit are quit for good and will never come back. I'm tired of carrying a torch for a game that nobody seems to care about.
Perhaps. But you don't have to go out of your way to promote the game. Whenever anyone asks me about it, I always say that it sucks ass. I also take care to mention, though, that it has a lot of potential and will probably get better eventually.

I'm not really sure what it is. I have some weird sense of attraction to it, as analyzing its flaws and assessing the game's merits interests me for some reason.

Cmagus

Unknown Soldier said:

Quick, point out the people who were still playing the game before the shutdown in this group shot! :(

Initial reviews killed this game period it cannot recover.Also the fact that I haven't seen any review sites check in on the game or mention anything to the public about how it has changed since initial reviews.The PC version is dead what you had just before the shutdown will be slightly lower because I guarantee you some people will leave now they have had time to play other games.

Also this game is super unfriendly for new people finding parties in this game is ridiculous due to serious lack of people and those who are on now are all in their groups and keep it that way that plus everyone is so worried about SP that it cripples this game to the point where people don't really want to party outside their range cause they are too concerned about losing sp per kill than having fun making partying a real chore in this game.Everyone is too caught up grinding my self included but I just think gotta grind to 50 but for what there is nothing waiting for you there save a few NM fights and there certainly isn't any expansions coming soon.

They could always merge servers but I doubt they will at this point they better start planning a new way to market this game for the PS3 release.

Jinko

I don't think everyone has quit for good, they are just waiting for something worth while to come back to, although the game is much better than it was its still very barren and void of much content.

When they add more content where I feel as if im not running around doing the same thing endlessly (guildleves) then I'll come back, end game content will probably be a good reason for me to come back and get my ass in gear aswell, hopefully something like instances or Assult/Nyzel.

The game will get a massive boost around PS3 launch time and new reviews will come out which could do the game some good, as long as SE don't drop the ball and rush it out too soon.

Coldsnap

That picture brings some good memories :)

Yea PS3 is gonna be their hail marry. Jinko I never see you around in game, you still play?

Munba

1.16a Patch Notes (in testing)

* Following content is planned to be implemented upon the release of patch 1.16a.
* An adjustment could be made on this content depending on the testing result.

Event Updates

* [dev1004] Accepted quests can now be abandoned.
Quests can now be abandoned via the question description screen in the journal.

* If you abandon a quest while in an instanced area, you will automatically be transported out of the area.
* You cannot abandon a quest while participating in an event battle.

* [dev1036] You will now be able to gain experience points, skill points, and receive loot when you defeat enemies as part of a sidequest.
Because of these changes, respawn rates of sidequest enemies have been lengthened.

Item Updates

* [dev1016] Synthesis: Up to 8 items per class can now be stored under synthesis recipe history.

System Updates

* [dev1035] Two different targeting modes are now available.

o Targeting Mode A (Targeting mode before the patch 1.16)
Target/Menu Navigation Keys and Corresponding Actions

+ Up/Down
Target party members in order
+ Left/Right
Cycle through all selectable targets

* Selecting Targeting Mode A set the Targeting Mode to "ALL."

o Targeting Mode B (Targeting mode after the patch 1.16)

Target/Menu Navigation Keys and Corresponding Actions

+ Up/Down
Cycle through targeting modes
+ Left/Right
Cycle through valid targets, according to the targeting mode currently selected, in order

* Selecting Targeting Mode B will disable Targeting Mode "ALL."

* You can also switch targeting modes using the text command "/targetmode (/tmode)"
/targetmode(/tmode) SubCommand
>>SubCommand
 a  Switch target mode to A
 b  Switch target mode to B
 None Toggle A and B
 * Targeting Mode A is selected by default

Release date: March 28

Jinko

Coldsnap said:
Yea PS3 is gonna be their hail marry. Jinko I never see you around in game, you still play?

I come on once in a blue moon, normally when there is an update, I really burnt myself out playing the beta and not much has changed as far as content goes.

Glad they are adding XP/loot for side quests, might be worth doing them now :p

I doubt this game is guna be really ready until sept this year, maybe SE should have held back a year, the cost of running these servers for free must be pretty steep.

Teknoman

You will now be able to gain experience points, skill points, and receive loot when you defeat enemies as part of a sidequest.
Because of these changes, respawn rates of sidequest enemies have been lengthened.

So they are listening to forum suggestions.

EDIT: 1.16a? I thought 1.17 with companies was next...since we already have a 1.16.

Teknoman said:
You will now be able to gain experience points, skill points, and receive loot when you defeat enemies as part of a sidequest.

Yeah, that's not going to be exploited to death. It would be so simple to just make only the mobs which count towards the sidequest give XP/loot, when you finish the quest, the mobs give nothing, zero, zip, zilch! But Squenix is always determined to do it the hardest way possible. What is most stupid about this approach is that people will go the location to kill the mobs and find 3 people already waiting there for respawns to do the quest. 2 of them will be grinding the mobs, 1 will be pissed at the grinders, and the guy who just showed up will ragequit the game and go back to WoW.

Teknoman

Unknown Soldier said:
Yeah, that's not going to be exploited to death. It would be so simple to just make only the mobs which count towards the sidequest give XP/loot, when you finish the quest, the mobs give nothing, zero, zip, zilch! But Squenix is always determined to do it the hardest way possible. What is most stupid about this approach is that people will go the location to kill the mobs and find 3 people already waiting there for respawns to do the quest. 2 of them will be grinding the mobs, 1 will be pissed at the grinders, and the guy who just showed up will ragequit the game and go back to WoW.

Maybe, but if the respawn rates have been lengthened, they are going to have to wait for a long time for them to respawn. And even then, they probably wont be something to grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom