• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Rentahamster said:
@ Gromph - holy crap, the Wutai forums are full of bickering. Is there really that much drama on your server?

Yeah :(

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tera is using the Unreal Engine 3 right? Looks nice. Why doesn't SE just license that or CryEngine? Does it benefit them more in the long run to waste so much time and energy to create that Crystal Tools stuff?

Rentahamster said:
Tera is using the Unreal Engine 3 right? Looks nice. Why doesn't SE just license that or CryEngine? Does it benefit them more in the long run to waste so much time and energy to create that Crystal Tools stuff?

It's called sunk costs. They already invested probably tens of millions to develop Crystal Tools in-house, to license a middleware engine after all that money would be madness. Anyways, FFXIII and XIV look fabulous, it's not a case of working hard to produce utter shit. A lot of the JP devs tried and failed to produce a decent next-gen engine for in-house use this gen, and the only decent ones I can think of are Capcom's MT Framework and Squenix's Crystal Tools.

Unreal Engine 3 gives every game that identical plastic-shaders look and the way it progressively streams textures from disk is really horrendous and always results in that infamous texture pop-in as the level loads which looks so bad. I'm not a big fan of UE3, the only people who can make a UE3 game look really good are Epic themselves.

Aion used CryEngine 1 and looked fabulous for it's time. I don't see any devs in a rush to license CryEngine 2 and 3, probably because UE3 is much easier to work with and includes frameworks for graphics, sound, AI, and physics all in one solution. Which is also the problem with UE3, because it includes so much already and is so widely licensed, many developers make lazy games with it that all look the same and play much worse than Epic's own titles.

The real crime against humanity is the Gamebryo engine, which Rift uses. That engine needs to DIAF.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
I see a distinct lack of catgirls in those shots.

You can have this instead.
Tera013.jpg

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/vadernoooo-1.jpg[IMG]

I guess you guys don't need me for anything after all. So be it. ; ;[/QUOTE]

You woulda been a big help with the creeping ivies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
I guess you guys don't need me for anything after all. So be it. ; ;
lol ya we do, the whole time we were saying, gee I hope Kawaii comes online this would be a whole lot easier if she were here.

(I left out the part in my story where we party wiped 5 times before even killing Creeping Ivy once).

After we got the battle plan down, we killed 2 more without (much) incident.

Coldsnap said:
I refuse to play any MMO with a warrior class and a berserker class.

So you'll be quitting FFXIV soon? What do you think gladiator and marauder are supposed to be? :3

Emenis said:
You woulda been a big help with the creeping ivies.

Rentahamster said:
lol ya we do, the whole time we were saying, gee I hope Kawaii comes online this would be a whole lot easier if she were here.

(I left out the part in my story where we party wiped 5 times before even killing Creeping Ivy once).

After we got the battle plan down, we killed 2 more without (much) incident.

I <3 you guys too but I'm not sure when I'll be back. It will depend a lot on some RL things I'm dealing with which cannot wait any longer. Nothing life-or-death important but I've been putting off things in my life for about 6 months because of this game, and the server shutdown-enforced downtime has given me an opportunity to resolve a few things.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
I <3 you guys too but I'm not sure when I'll be back. It will depend a lot on some RL things I'm dealing with which cannot wait any longer. Nothing life-or-death important but I've been putting off things in my life for about 6 months because of this game, and the server shutdown-enforced downtime has given me an opportunity to resolve a few things.
Cool. After killing the Marlboros, I did some NMs. Tanked Dodore as a THM, it was pretty cool.

Coldsnap

Rentahamster said:
Cool. After killing the Marlboros, I did some NMs. Tanked Dodore as a THM, it was pretty cool.

You did a good job btw too. I don't know why the battle went tits up but mele was burning down the adds faster then I usually so it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Coldsnap said:
You did a good job btw too. I don't know why the battle went tits up but mele was burning down the adds faster then I usually so it.
Oh, I was actually referring to a battle that we did after the first one. The first one was a bit of a crapshoot because of no prep time and I had to quickly spec out of MRD and into THM, so I had only one "reassign" worth of points to allocate.

We would have been okay, but what did me in was the multiple Shadowsears that got cast one me at one time. Not much you can do about that, although if I had an optimal stat layout and few different pieces of gear, I probably would have survived it.

Let me save unique stat and skillset profiles per class, SE. Seriously, the armory system is supposed to promote playing multiple jobs, but the stupid stat reassignment and skill reassignment bullshit is really making the whole process a pain in the ass.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Let me save unique stat and skillset profiles per class, SE. Seriously, the armory system is supposed to promote playing multiple jobs, but the stupid stat reassignment and skill reassignment bullshit is really making the whole process a pain in the ass.

If the 2nd poll was anything to go by, we should be getting just that.

The bonus point allotment system was intended to be a means by which players could customize their character's individuality. The free distribution of attribute points has given rise to certain problems, however, such as compatibility issues with the Armoury system, and the lowered effectiveness of the attributes themselves. In particular, this lowered effectiveness of attributes also extends its influence to items, and is therefore something that we feel must be rectified. To do so, we are currently looking into the following two options:

1. Removal of the bonus point system, and the addition of automatic allotment of attribute points based on class.
2. Removal of physical levels, and the addition of class-specific allotment of attribute points for each class based on rank.

8. Would you prefer option 1, option 2, or the current system?
627_7.jpg

To be honest, I'm genuinely surprised by the response to Question 8, as are Matsui and Gondai on the battle team. We certainly didn't think that over 50% of players would be for doing away with physical levels. This would entail some pretty big changes tied in with enhancing class uniqueness. But we're coming to realize now that most of you seem to be saying you're fine with radical changes as long as they make the game more fun. We'll definitely refer to this data when coming up with new specs, and will be implementing them when we can!

Would be even better if they allow us to have 2 specs per class similar to WoW, ie MRD with a tanking and DD spec.

TheFatOne

For the next couple of weeks I think I am only going to focus on gathering jobs. I can only play for and hour sometimes 2 hours so I don't have much time to work on anything else.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
TheFatOne said:
For the next couple of weeks I think I am only going to focus on gathering jobs. I can only play for and hour sometimes 2 hours so I don't have much time to work on anything else.

You can 2h leves, 2h local leves, 2h craft or 2h gather.

Your choice :)

Cmagus

So are we still doing the runs today? Not sure exact times but im down for the earlier runs Im just getting the update installed now its moving slow but then I am free to run them

Bayohne, a community rep on the official forums, just posted this wonderful piece of information from battle lead, Akihiko Matsui:

Hello adventurers of FFXIV! This is battle lead Akihiko Matsui.

I would like to take this moment to explain the current plans we have in place.

First off, once the future battle balance and battle system adjustments take place, we feel that the implementation of auto-attack is quite necessary. Please embrace this as just one of the many necessary revamps needed to create more interesting and strategy rich battles as well as solve the tediousness of having to spam a button.

With this said, I do not feel that the implementation of auto-attack will solve everything. In other threads there have been many topics coming up about what is going to happen to the stamina gauge and claim system, how classes should have unique qualities and stats, what’s going to happen with monsters, raid dungeons, equipment, etc. I have looked over all of the great number of elements and at the current stage feel that without implementing auto-attack that the future battle system would be impossible.

Compared to the FFXI auto-attack system, we are thinking about making the auto-attack system for FFXIV have a shorter attack delay. (This has been a heated debate on the forum, and having been lead of FFXI please forgive me for bringing it up as a point of comparison. There is no "better" or "worse" system.)

The objective here is not to lower the battle difficulty. The main objective here, when thinking about battles rich in strategy, pace, and exhilaration, is instead of having to time regular attacks, we will be preparing situations that require proper timing of abilities, magic, and weapon skills. Following this, weaker enemies are a different story, but we will make sure it’s balanced so you can’t win a fight just by using auto-attack.

Due to the fact we still have a lot of elements that need to be tested and looked into, it is difficult for me to tell you any more info in great detail, but if you give me some time I will do my best to share the information with you. Thank you!

Munba

Dunno. I liked the absence of an auto-attack, it was more active and some sort of action-oriented... maybe they had to work on that instead to return to the past for easier solutions. Not a brave choise in the end. A meh for me :/

Jinko

Personally I don't mind.

Spamming 1 1 1 isn't much different to letting the game do it for me.

If its like FF11 but faster then I would be pretty happy with that.

Jinko

Thought I would post this here, sounds like they are actually going to show enemy levels (ie a number) instead of the shitty Con icon.

Hello everyone! We have more details that further flesh out the design ideas behind the current UI change and tidbits on what the future will bring. Without further ado, here is a new comment from UI lead, Hiroshi Minagawa.

Hey everyone! Thanks for the huge amount of feedback!

I would like to explain two things.
The first is about the design choice regarding having an aggressive icon at all and the second is in regards to our plans to integrate an ON/OFF toggle for displayed UI elements.

First, as to the reason why we added the aggressive monster icon, for the upcoming battle fixes, we decided to display addition information necessary for battle strategy.

There are many aspects related to the upcoming battle fixes, but one example of how we are making adjustments that lead to more enjoyable gameplay is by showing information such as the strength of field monsters (their level), whether or not they are aggressive, and whether or not they will link. With this new information, players can make a decision whether they wish to fight these types of enemies and it also allows them to plan crowd control out ahead of time.

Due to the fact that a quick fix for this is quite difficult, we have been making adjustments in stages. We have discussions with Yoshida and the battle team about what kind of info should be shown and what should be masked and once we make a decision we have been implementing them.

The current aggressive icon and the upcoming enemy level display are only one part of the current stage of edits.
&#12288;
Next on the agenda is the ON/OFF display toggle.

The aggressive icon that was recently implemented was a bit of information we wanted players to be able to check easily that fits hand-in-hand with the future battle plans, and thus we released it as a full-time display feature. Originally we thought that the icon wasn’t something that needed to be easily turned on/off, but after seeing the current reactions and hearing all of your feedback, after long consideration we have decided to make it possible to toggle the display. We will also continue to make adjustments to display toggling and display methods for the information displays we have planned for the future.

I apologize for not going into more detail earlier, but hopefully now you can better see our reasoning for the implementation.

Jinko said:
Spamming 1 1 1 isn't much different to letting the game do it for me.

The objective here is not to lower the battle difficulty. The main objective here, when thinking about battles rich in strategy, pace, and exhilaration, is instead of having to time regular attacks, we will be preparing situations that require proper timing of abilities, magic, and weapon skills. Following this, weaker enemies are a different story, but we will make sure it’s balanced so you can’t win a fight just by using auto-attack.

I have to agree with Jinko on this one. I'll trade the interaction of spamming regular attack for timing abilities, magic, and weapon skills instead. I also miss the social element of chatting during combat. Things like Vent/TS/Mumble get annoying because you always have people competing to say things.

There are many aspects related to the upcoming battle fixes, but one example of how we are making adjustments that lead to more enjoyable gameplay is by showing information such as the strength of field monsters (their level), whether or not they are aggressive, and whether or not they will link.

I wonder if the linking information has to do with some upcoming mob changes (addition of beastmen, peaceful era of Eorzea coming to an end, etc.). I can't think of any mobs outside of leves besides NMs that link.

Munba

Well, i intended to say they had to improve/modifiy greatly this actual battle system just to avoid spamming 1 1 1. And not to step back to FF11. Really hope they'll keep the guard ability at least and not automatic..

If Squenix is stupid, they'll step back to FFXI. That's a surefire way to end this game's lifetime right away. Bringing back auto-attack is fine, they had better just find something really amazing for players to do in between auto-attacks.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
d/c.. 10mins

Letter from the Producer, VII (03/31/2011)

Letter from the Producer, VII (04/01/2011)

Well, the game servers are now back online, and the development is almost returned to full strength, but the effects of the recent Tohoku earthquake and tsunami are far-reaching and profound. Much as those in the areas directly affected by the tragedy, we here in Tokyo must also remain vigilant. We’re continuing with our energy conservation efforts here at the office, and the while hoping that FFXIV might serve to bring smiles to some faces out there.

That being said, I’d like report on recent dev team activity. We were just about to begin testing on the now released patch 1.16a when the earthquake struck, and for that reason delayed its release. In addition, patch 1.17 was initially pushed back to mid-April, but after reexamination we’ve decided instead to divide the content and release it across two patches—1.17 and 1.17a.

Patch 1.17 contains an upcoming seasonal event slated for April. If we keep all of the other initially planned content, however, we wouldn’t be able to have the patch ready in time to coincide with Eas—errr, said seasonal event in the real world. So we’ve reduced the volume of patch 1.17 down to about 70% of its original size, and pushed the remaining 30% over to 1.17a. This way, all of the content can be released with minimal delay in between, and it will also allow us to get this holiday event released in time (don’t worry, there are no bells in this one).

Even so, this still won’t make up for all of the time lost from our original schedule. As a result, unfortunately, we’re going to have to forgo the event planned for a national Japanese holiday in early May. Since the April seasonal event kicks off later than intended, it will continue even after April 24th in the real world—whatever that day may be. I realize this is all less than ideal, but hope you understand and bear with us.

One last thing. A portion of the changes in patches 1.17 and 1.17a are preparations for the mid- and high-rank PvE content planned for later release. As soon as we hammer out the basics of the new dungeon and raid environments, we’ll be throwing out some screenshots and introducing them to you.

Best keep it short to give the translators more time on the quests, so that’s all for this letter. Talk to you again soon!

Quests? High-rank PvE content? Where? Gimme gimme!

No time for that now, got to watch The World God Only Knows so I'll be ready for season 2 airing in just a week and a half!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
Quests? High-rank PvE content? Where? Gimme gimme!

No time for that now, got to watch The World God Only Knows so I'll be ready for season 2 airing in just a week and a half!

Seriously, even I'm reaching my breaking point with this game. Before we started doing leves today I didn't feel like doing anything and was gonna log off for the day but instead we did leves for a couple hours and I at least enjoyed that.

I've noticed a lot of people are no longer playing since servers went back up. Well, at least people I knew.

I'm just glad we still have at least a small group that I love playing with. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't bother playing. The game definitely has potential..

Teknoman

Emenis said:

Nice read, also just saw Jinko's post showing the UI designer's comments. Hopefully they also add at least 10-15 side quests with each update as well.

Emenis said:
Seriously, even I'm reaching my breaking point with this game. Before we started doing leves today I didn't feel like doing anything and was gonna log off for the day but instead we did leves for a couple hours and I at least enjoyed that.

I've noticed a lot of people are no longer playing since servers went back up. Well, at least people I knew.

I'm just glad we still have at least a small group that I love playing with. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't bother playing.

Well to be fair, there still isnt that much to do. Sure, fighting monsters and partying is much better...but when the story missions are so far spread out/dont really have much in the way of boss fights or challenging situations, there really isnt much to progress towards. If you're going to party up, you want to either get exp, explore a dungeon and find items/complete quests, bring down a boss, defend an area, or just progress the story.

That and its a busy time of year for anyone that has any kind of classes to attend.

EDIT: Wow i'm really late on the news.

Cant say I was a fan of auto attack back in the day, but if its faster than XI, allows for more strategic and tension packed battles, and we somehow end up with better looking battle animations and effects, then i'm game. Also hopefully i'll have something to record and put up on my XIV channel. Never expected the game to have been out this long and still have only 1 video up :p

Either way, 1.17 seems like it might go up sometime next week then?

Emenis said:

I'm just glad we still have at least a small group that I love playing with. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't bother playing. The game definitely has potential..

I wish I could join you guys but because of the timing I have only been crafting all this time. I have yet to get back to ranking up my magic classes, who happen to still be around 24. Hopefully I can do something about that this weekend.

Jinko

Raid instances ... sounds like that could be fun.

At the moment I'm really enjoying this game, I think that long break I had did the world of good.

Agree with Dega though between leves the game has almost nothing to do, in those cases its best to just log off and do something else.

Rawk Hawk

Emenis said:

sally.jpg

You like me, you really really like me!

Teknoman

Jinko said:

Really liked this section:

And I saw that you recently did a survey, and the survey was rather radical, I think, in that it asked players how fundamental the changes they'd like to see to the game are. I mean, how far are you prepared to go to modify the game?

NY: Yeah. It's really hard to put a number on it, but I guess you can look at it in separate areas.

For example, like the Guildleve system. We liked the Guildleve system, in that it provides a simple quest for someone who, say they have 30 minutes to play a game. They come in, they go to that counter, they know the quests are going to be waiting for them, they get the quests, they do them, and they're done.

So, that, really you wouldn't have to have a fundamental change to that. I mean, you could do some adjustments to it to make it better for the players, but that you wouldn't have to destroy the whole foundation.

Whereas the battle system on the other hand, I personally believe that the battle should be something where you get with friends, you talk over how you're going to fight this battle, doing all the tactics and the strategies. And right now, this really can't be done in the battle system that currently exists.

So, for this one, I'm saying that yeah, maybe, a 70 percent change might be necessary to get it to something that I envision as a cool battle system.

But even saying that, that's not to say that -- for example -- the Guildleve system doesn't need to have fixes as well. While it's really good for people that want to come in, play solo, and just get out in 30 minutes, that Guildleves system is perfect. But what about for people that want to learn a little more about the world? That would take, maybe, providing quests from the NPCs -- more of these types of quests where you can talk with these NPCs, learn about their lives, learn about the world. Things where you have to do a little more exploring.

And then on top of that, people that -- okay, say you have a lot of time on the weekends, so you want to get with a party and you want something a little more challenging than what the simple Guildleves offer. So, we want to keep the good things. Things that are working right now, we want to keep them. But then things that, yes, need that big change, we want to go in and drastically change those.

TheFatOne

Emenis said:

Don't worry my dear soon I will be asking for new equipment. Preferably pink. You should play less so that I can catch up.

Emenis said:

It's too bad you guys do your small group so early in the day and I'm always still at work. You're right, the only reason I was still playing was because of the people I made friends with. Take that away, and I have no reason to play at all.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
It's too bad you guys do your small group so early in the day and I'm always still at work. You're right, the only reason I was still playing was because of the people I made friends with. Take that away, and I have no reason to play at all.
Come online tomorrow (noonish?). We're saving leves for then.

Cmagus

Dracos said:
Who do I have to speak with to get a LS invite? I just started a new toon on Lindblum.

Are you by any chance Black Zaotchi haha cause someone messaged me yesterday and was wondering if that was you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom