• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDogg

I like all of the upcoming change discussion, but I don't know how much I'll play before the PS3 release. I have lots of free time, but I have no desire to play FFXIV at the moment. Most of my FFXI friends will cross over to XIV with the PS3 release. Couple that with the battle changes and I'll be more motivated to play (and have far less to complain about... if anything).

So you might see me on here and there, but I don't know if it'll be anything regular until PS3.

Rawk Hawk

Wazzim said:
I am thinking of getting this game since it's only 20 euros now, is the game worth it for a casual MMO player?
I would say yes, I play maybe a total of 5-6 hours every week, and yet when I'm on playing I have a pretty fun time. It all depends on what you are looking to get out of the game play.

Unknown Soldier said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426264

If you guys are looking for a real challenge, I'm seriously thinking about buying a Korean account for TERA Online. Games which are in a language you can actually read are for nubs, games in a language you can't read are for REAL MMOG CAPTURING GODS!

The art is amazing in that one. Reminds me of the fun times I had in RF online. Man the korean MMO's constantly seem more alluring to me than any other region. Great stuff.

Teknoman

Dev key points update:

Overtaxation of PC Hardware:

Hey everyone,

What everyone's saying about FFXIV currently being a large burden on the PC is something we've been seeing on our end as well. We brought this up with the development team and hope to have a comment from them soon.

Removal of Slot-Cost Accessory limitation

Heads up, gang.

The development team is well aware of this concern from the community and already has plans in place to change this. We're working on organizing the information so please wait a bit while we gather everything together.

Petition To Add Behest Rank Restrictions

I made sure to organize all of your comments, suggestions and feedback and submitted it to the development team. As always, thanks for the feedback!

Of course, if you have any other ideas/feedback please don't hesitate to let us know.

Good to know they are already fixing up the acc. slots. That was a dumb idea to begin with.

Jinko

New Battle Effect

New level and aggro icon

JP forum was shown but the rest of the world was kept in the dark.. nice play SE !

Anyways it will be interesting to know what sort of SP/XP we would get from killing something the same level as us, now that we know what level stuff is.

Might make grind parties more popular.

Munba

Spell effects and ability need GREATER improvements than that :/ ..but i presume and hope that is only the first piece of a bigger enhancement about it.

Teknoman

Munba said:
Spell effects and ability need GREATER improvements than that :/ ..but i presume and hope that is only the first piece of a bigger enhancement about it.

Well some of the spell impacts are pretty detailed...just so small that it seems like they arent. Its a good start...but I really hope weapon skill animations will be a little more diverse as well (not the impacts, but the actual character animation).

Munba

Teknoman said:
...but I really hope weapon skill animations will be a little more diverse as well (not the impacts, but the actual character animation).

Absolutely.. i'm thinking about the gladiator's ones. :/

Teknoman

Munba said:
Absolutely.. i'm thinking about the gladiator's ones. :/

Yeah, I dont know why they just decided to make the majority of Gladiator attacks a 360 spin, or Marauder a large axe swing, same for Lancer. Only DoW skills i've seen that stay pretty varied are Pugilist and Archer.

Darte

I really hope that isn't all they are doing for spell effects...

All it would require is a multiplication of its scale variable if the game engine is designed properly...

Teknoman

English versions and larger images for the recent dev posts:

jkqzVk.jpg

jkqxNc.jpg

I've got to say, the increase in size does look better, and like Jinko said, knowing the level of the monsters will help parties alot in the long run. Glad it takes the guess work out of checking certain areas.

POSTCARD: Wish you were here!

tera1.jpg

Yes, this game really does look like that.

tera2.jpg

Not only am I hot, but I have horns. Devilchick has never been this awesome. Deal with it.

The battle system in this game is fantastic. While FFXIV is going backwards in time towards a system with auto-attack, this game is advancing into an action-oriented system that really feels like the future of MMOGs. You don't lock on to anything, you have a crosshair in the middle of your screen and you point it at the mob you want to kill. The mob will do it's best to charge up attacks and knock you down so it can whale on you, while you are busy circle-strafing around it so you can get behind it to land critical hits. Just as in Vindictus, auto-attacks are out, ass-kickings are in. If you time your attack right when the enemy starts a huge attack, you can stagger or even knock down your enemy. Doing certain skills will start a combo skill chain, similar to what you might have seen in Aion, which lets you chain skills together for MASSIVE DAMAGE on the mob. It's actually fun to get into battles even with the trash mobs you have to kill 5/5 of to complete a quest to get a new pair of gloves, because you'll be blocking attacks with a shield or doing a flip over your enemy to dodge it's attack and then chaining into skill combos while it's stunned or looking for where you went. There's nothing passive about evade and dodge in this game, nor blocking, everything is active and based on what you do. It's more like God of War than EverQuest, and yes, that's a good thing.

As you might expect, the Unreal Engine 3 makes this game look fabulous. Rift was a piece of shit graphically, this game is visualy like Aion with the graphical detail turned up to 9006. It runs quite well too, I think in terms of performance it feels comparable to FFXIV on my GTX 470 SLI with roughly similar game settings. The sound and music are pretty conventional, NPCs speak a line of Korean at you when you talk to them to get or turn in a quest and the music is rather nice and fades enjoyably into the background while you're busy slaughtering your enemies and splattering their blood everywhere. Yes, this game has lots of splashing blood effects when you rip into your mob-of-the-moment.

Oh, guess what. This game has quests. LOTS of quests. Most of them are kill 8/8 mobs or gather this item by mining that rock, but it follows the 'theme park' model of MMOG progression invented by WoW which was so painfully rehashed in Rift. And yet because battles are actually fun in this game, you actually look forward to the next 6/6 mobs you get to kill. Yeah, not mobs you HAVE to kill, mobs you GET to kill by spilling their blood all over the pretty landscape with your huge weapon which is as large as you are. I haven't grinded a single mob outside of the ones I'm tasked to kill on quests, and progression feels smooth and even.

The character designs are absolutely shameless and totally awesome. Everyone has huge boobs, every weapon is as big as it's wielder, just the mere act of running causes your character to show you her pantsu constantly, all the attacks look like they can dismember your opponent or just cut them in half. It's like the developers of the game made Soul Calibur the MMOG in terms of character designs, fanservice, and brutal-looking attacks.

Everything about this game screams polish, from the shiny graphics, to the exaggerated and brutal animations, to the busty and fanservice-maxed out character models and designs, to the quests, quests, OMG QUESTS! Despite the fact I'm connecting to a server in the Republic of Korea, lag actually feels quite minimal and is very manageable, and in a very action-oriented battle system like this one, even a little lag would make the game unplayable. It's way less laggy than FFXIV is to roughly the same part of the world (Korea and Japan), or at least it feels that way. Maybe there is something to be said for UE3's netcode, which after all was designed for FPS and TPS titles where split-second response from the game engine and server is crucial to a smooth gameplay experience.

Unknown Soldier said:
POSTCARD: Wish you were here!

Yes, this game really does look like that.

Lol, you actually did it. Downloaded 22 gigs, go through an account set up in korean, just to get a jump on a title that is coming to the states soon.

You are a REAL MMOG CAPTURING GOD!

Geeze that game looks great though, how taxing is it on your rig? Is it more or less than FFXIV?

Edit: Thanks for the info. It is amazing how this exploded onto my radar. Sounds epic.

Jinko

22 gigs ... lol wow

I couldn't play an MMO in a foreign language it would drive me insane, but cool screens :)

Impression are in line with what I thought the game would be like, hopefully there will be plenty of raid and dungeon content, I really hate PvP and it seems to be what most Korean developers design their games around.

Jinko said:
22 gigs ... lol wow

It was only about 8 hours from a torrent of the OBT client that's floating around. I started the torrent, went to bed, went to work, and when I got home it was done.

I couldn't play an MMO in a foreign language it would drive me insane, but cool screens :)

Amazingly enough, the WoW-style UI is essentially universal. I can't read a word of hangul moonspeak and I was running around talking to NPCs and getting quests less than 5 minutes after getting into the game the first time. If you've ever played WoW, any WoW-clone, Aion, or Rift, you'll be buying and selling stuff, setting skills, chaining combos, completing quests, and generally looking to the Korean players like you've been playing for months in about an hour. Which you have if you've played any of those games, because the quests in this game are like WoW's and all boil down to kill x of that, gather x of this which in this game is just face the object and hit F, and talk to this NPC. Oh, and kill the boss. I've already fought several mini-bosses on Nub Island and apparently the last boss you need to kill to leave Nub Island is a group boss, which should be fun. Everything is conveniently color-coded and marked on your map, unlike for example FFXIV, and when I couldn't figure out which mob to kill for a certain quest, I'd just run around and kill one of each until I saw the counter increment from 0/6 to 1/6 or whatever. If I forgot who to talk to next I just hit L to bring up the Quest Log and click the blue-highlighted moonspeak in the quest description and the game puts an X on the transparent map which is always visible on your screen.

edit: Did I mention that this game has a PROPER fullscreen mode? When in fullscreen, the graphics engine is active and rendering, alt-tab out and the game shuts down rendering (unloading the GPUs!), alt-tab back in and it resumes rendering. Simple, flawless, everything FFXIV's fullscreen mode isn't. It also supports a proper fullscreen windowed mode that renders continuously in the background for people who prefer that to regular fullscreen mode, and a windowed mode as well.

Jinko

Sounds like the sort of game a competent developer would make, it really shows you how much out of touch SE are, and the lack of talent they have working for them.

There seems to be a massive divide in skill between PC developers and console-centric developers and even now JP devs are struggling with HD consoles.

Tera and GW2 will probably kill FF14 for me and for many others no doubt.

Emenis said:
I'm more surprised that you didn't pick the catgirl.

The catgirl race in this game (actually they are like bunny girls) are a bit too loli for my tastes. I really want to roll a panda race character just for the lulz, though.

Emenis said:
Well, I'm glad you're having fun. lol

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted to go try it out.

I feel the same. If people didn't mention that it was coming stateside I probably would have done the same just to try it out.

What kills me about all of this is how many MMO's slated for release seem to be filled with content and somehow FFXIV feels so starved. On the heels of FFXI, I would have thought they were building a beast of a game, storywise/contentwise. I was under the impression they were working on this for quite some time. It is kinda a let down, to be hoping for more, when these title comes from a company known for making epic FF titles and still has a large following from their other MMO.

DoctorWho said:
So is the game still free to play? How long will that last?

Great Question. I don't know for sure but I think they are planning to charge after first major content update. Or the most crazy assumption is that they wont charge until everything on the list the new director posted, is completed.

Once they say they are done with all the changes, they could probably do a relaunch type of advertising blitz to bring people back to the game.

staticneuron said:
Great Question. I don't know for sure but I think they are planning to charge after first major content update. Or the most crazy assumption is that they wont charge until everything on the list the new director posted, is completed.

Once they say they are done with all the changes, they could probably do a relaunch type of advertising blitz to bring people back to the game.

When is the first major content update due?

I've seen the game drop in price and I wouldn't mind giving the current version a test drive.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
DoctorWho said:
When is the first major content update due?

I've seen the game drop in price and I wouldn't mind giving the current version a test drive.

No one really knows anything. They are patching every now and then and will start charging when it's no longer a beta.

Salaadin

Rentahamster said:
Hot damn that looks like sex. FF14 doomed lolz. Nah, they still got hope. They just need to listen to me and implement Triple Triad.

How does one apply for the TERA North American beta, anyhow?

Edit: Too bad the only Moonspeak I know is of the Japanese variety, otherwise I might have given it a shot. Korean confuses and infuriates us.

http://www.tera-online.com/
Go there and Click "Join the community" to sign up for the forums and get a login name.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YKRJX7N
Go there with your newly acquired forum name and sign up for the beta.

Jinko

Ahh its sending me to the EU website,
We’ll invite our most dedicated fans of TERA, choose some of our active forum members, invite guild members and fansite staff members, as well as the winners from our official contests. So, we want to thank everyone, who participated actively in our forums, helped us out with great ideas and feedback and supported TERA as a guild prior to its launch or gatherd and prepared information for the Community as a fansite member

Kind of sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom