• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Looking at Guild Wars 2, arent they using auto attack similar to the first game? Also I thought Tera was auto attack as well (or am I thinking of something else)?

Cmagus

well we tried NM in our other LS and got destroyed seriously so many people in this game have no idea how to play their classes. Anyways I am gonna go on a hiatus of this game for awhile I think if I don't I'm gonna walk away.I don't mind playing but lately have just been throwing hours away doing nothing.Dunno if I am gonna return though depends if these "dungeons" are worth it or if they will be half assed like the new quests were.

Teknoman

I'd like to know what other quests they'll add in the next patch. I'm fine with mundane "Hey can you help me out" everyday quests, but I dont think the real differentiating stuff will hit until the new dungeon stuff/hamlet defense hits.

Of course that stuff might not hit until the new battle system is implemented...but that could be as soon as the next patch, looking at Matsui's tone in the forum post from the end of March.

Also what ever happened to this?

2wfiu85.jpg

Or the Behemoth models for that matter...especially since they seemed to have a fully animated/detailed on in the making of videos.

Jinko

TBH tek the quests they added were complete shit so I wouldn't hold your breath for the next batch to be any better.

The biggest problem is they expect you to travel ridiculous distances to complete them, unlike other MMO's that have the quest NPC and the quest objective within a small radius of eachother.

I really wish they would scrap half the shit in this game and make it a wow clone at times lol.

Teknoman said:
Looking at Guild Wars 2, arent they using auto attack similar to the first game? Also I thought Tera was auto attack as well (or am I thinking of something else)?

Guild Wars 2, much like GW1, will be a fully-instanced experience. If you think of games like Phantasy Star Online as truly MMOs, even though the only persistent part of PSO, GW, and GW2 are the lobbies everyone meets up in before going into instances to do everything other than stand around and chat, then GW2 will certainly offer the most interactive experience.

In your traditional non-instanced MMOG world, there are limits as to how developers can alter the world itself, because everybody has to be able to show up and do the same thing. In any MMOG, you'll go up to an NPC, he'll say help help the ogres are attacking my farm, now go kill 10/10 ogres. You'll go out of town and there's a bunch of ogres standing around looking bored. You kill them, go back to the NPC, and get your 1,000 gold and a new pair of gloves. What a fully-instanced experience like GW2 can do is you go with your friends into the instance and there's the farm, and the ogres are destroying it, and everything's on fire and people are having their skulls crushed by the ogres' clubs. You kill the ogres fast enough and you save the whole farm and get the full reward, you do it more slowly and part of the farm is destroyed and you get partial reward, you fail the quest and the whole farm goes up in flames, you get nothing, and that's the end of it.

To me, that's what GW2 can bring to the table, and if they succeed into doing that, then auto-attack or no auto-attack is irrelevant, GW2 has brought something new and innovative and worth experiencing to the table and people will buy it and play it.

As for Tera, if you haven't figured out what's going on with the battle system after I've written novels about it already, I can't help you. Read my posts.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
TBH tek the quests they added were complete shit so I wouldn't hold your breath for the next batch to be any better.

The biggest problem is they expect you to travel ridiculous distances to complete them, unlike other MMO's that have the quest NPC and the quest objective within a small radius of eachother.

I really wish they would scrap half the shit in this game and make it a wow clone at times lol.

Im not really expecting to be blown away by the sidequests, since the focus is still on story quests...but I would like stuff that chains, or things that send you to dungeons to do something.

Unknown Soldier said:
As for Tera, if you haven't figured out what's going on with the battle system after I've written novels about it already, I can't help you. Read my posts.

:p After going back and reading, I see whats up.

Honestly, if they can make a fairly fast auto battle system with low delay, and fix up regimens to where the effects are obvious/implement more party team up attacks, that should help. I mean even with XI, even though the auto attack system wasnt as fast as WoW, the skillchain/magic burst gave fights a unique team element, and going forward, I think thats what the new XIV team is trying to achieve again. The debilitation system needs to work early on, and give players a reason to position themselves around the enemy at certain points, rather than just to space out in order to see the battle.

e16zbp.png

Needs to be worked in, and give Archers a reason to change arrows per battle...or at least up the damage of an enemy's weakness to certain arrows.

Not only that, but finally take hold of the party vs party element that was being pushed prior to release.

TheFatOne

I have been meaning to say this for a while. I still don't understand why they even shipped this game the way it is. It's missing the basic stuff any MMO should have. The quests are shit, the combat isn't very good, the recipes are laughable, every class feels the same, no end game content, anima is the dumbest thing ever, although the wards are better I still can't believe they launched with that shit, the chat still needs to be fixed, 2 entire places have nothing except higher level mobs, most of the skills are garbage (fuck the gladiator seriously all the gla skills are useless), and they all look the same.

Whoever came up with the idea for a guildleve timer should be fired immediately. That is one of the dumbest things I have encountered in this game. Seriously 8 leves per 36 hours is fucking ridiculous. Anima wouldn't be so terrible if I got more than 6 per day. 6 per day is absurd especially since I can only do 8 leves per reset. Although the game looks like nice it still runs like ass, and I'm tired of looking at the copy paste landscapes. This game needs at least a year or two of fixes just to become mediocre. It's just mind boggling how anyone at SE would let them launch this game. Feels like they were halfway into developing the game, and decided to launch it.

If it wasn't for the awesome people in the GAF guild I would have stopped playing this game a long time ago.

Teknoman

Beats me. Yoshi made a point about being able to support the game since they dont have to appeal to shareholders...but if that was the case, then they shouldn't have pushed it out at such an early date at all. Kinda sucks for the new team too, since they have to go at full tilt from now until the game is ready to be released on PS3/sub fees.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Cmagus said:
well we tried NM in our other LS and got destroyed seriously so many people in this game have no idea how to play their classes. Anyways I am gonna go on a hiatus of this game for awhile I think if I don't I'm gonna walk away.I don't mind playing but lately have just been throwing hours away doing nothing.Dunno if I am gonna return though depends if these "dungeons" are worth it or if they will be half assed like the new quests were.
Come with us! We only die like, 50% of the time now!

Teknoman said:
What area is this?

Looks like a hidden off map area in the north west part of Coerthas Central Lowlands (east of Camp Ever Lakes). There are alot of those area's around. While exploring I stumbled upon refuges from ala mhigo living inside the mesa of eastern thanalan desert while on my way to camp broken water. It is stuff like that that keeps my hopes up for stories and quests in the future.

Munba

Seeing several glitch videos of him/her, i notice there are TONS of still closed places in the game. They probably programmed part of the next 1 or 2 expansions already..

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Munba said:
Seeing several glitch videos of him/her, i notice there are TONS of still closed places in the game. They probably programmed part of the next 1 or 2 expansions already..

I only saw one really. lol

That place tek posted and i guess that hidden area in coerthas with the shield/poles (although not much there).

Teknoman

Also are these models new, or have they always been around before Yoshida's team switch:

Imperial Centurion -
jkwBxc.png

Hellhound -
jkw9oW.png
(has what looks like a 3 pronged tail)

Ascian-
jk0Yb0.png

Couerl -
jkwYO2.png

Gunblade-
jkw2Q6.png

Gargoyle-
jkw9oU.png

Also it seems like all the beast tribes have specific class names like XI...not sure if they were there before, or just general race names. There are even a few seemingly NM names for Goblin, Kobold, Amal'jaa and Ixali tribes.

Oh and:

Hello everyone! We’d like to thank you for all of your feedback regarding your concerns.

We have discussed this matter with the development team. In regards to the size of magic and action effects, the current adjustments are just the beginning. The development team feels that more adjustments will be needed going forward. While they will not be implemented right away, we will continue to implement changes in the future.

from the official forums.

Allard

Everything but the Coerul and the Gargoyle are in the game already. The beast tribe names are in the game in 'small' form through faction leves, behest and class/mission quests. Ascian shows up in the main storyline you activate at rank 30 (I just did this recently), the imperial agents are in the main storyline at rank 46 and the gunblade is used by the general that shows up at the tail end of the current main storyline.

As for other news from the main site. Yoshida showed up early this morning (2:30 AM JP) and posted a bunch of stuff relating to crafting going forward. Sounds like he wants to implement a socketing/materia like system into the game to place onto armor and weapons by the use of crafting. The goal was to make characters more individualized on their armor while also giving crafting a purpose on the soon to be quest/mob equipment drops. There is more but I'm waiting for a proper translation as right now I'm just using google trans to figure this much out.

Also it sounds like info on companies will come out next week.

Teknoman

Allard said:
Everything but the Coerul and the Gargoyle are in the game already. The beast tribe names are in the game in 'small' form through faction leves, behest and class/mission quests. Ascian shows up in the main storyline you activate at rank 30 (I just did this recently), the imperial agents are in the main storyline at rank 46 and the gunblade is used by the general that shows up at the tail end of the current main storyline.

As for other news from the main site. Yoshida showed up early this morning (2:30 AM JP) and posted a bunch of stuff relating to crafting going forward. Sounds like he wants to implement a socketing/materia like system into the game to place onto armor and weapons by the use of crafting. The goal was to make characters more individualized on their armor while also giving crafting a purpose on the soon to be quest/mob equipment drops. There is more but I'm waiting for a proper translation as right now I'm just using google trans to figure this much out.

Also it sounds like info on companies will come out next week.

This?

Lodestone JP topic - page 11

Cmagus

They need to make the dungeons and new game content priority right now and they need to get this stuff out soon. Companies are fine but the community is so low right now its not a priority. Same goes for magic and attack effects, not important right now more content so people aren't standing around doing nothing.
I like the materia idea of customizing individual armors that could be cool.

Allard

This is an 'unofficial' summary translation from one of the posters on the forums in regards to that crafting information.

these changes are meant to better benefit all the battle classes (being able to adjust the stats that is)
* the system is called "Myteria craft system" and crafters will be able to enhance the items they make by using stones optained by the gathering classes
* this system will enable:
- fighers & mage to better choose specfic gear (guess he means design gear more suited for their play style)
- crafters can contribute by creating items based on the demand
- gathers will get the items needed
* More in regards to this new system will be posted when a specific thread is created to talk about the system.
* they are working on changes to the crafting gauge, and he mentions that the team tested a system that does not use a gauge which seems to easy and boring so they are still reviewing that aspect.
( he talks about being able to make low rank items without time loss, didn't really understand what he meant, maybe he means that after a certain lvl, u can make the item without the gauge but thanks my opinion)
* They are also reviewing the repair system, while crafters benefit from it and can have their presence know, it seems to be not well liked by fighter/mage classes
* Because of the above point, he is thinking of somehow linking the repair system with the "Myteria craft system" in order to balance the repair system better. but since the myteria system is still in the works and not implemented yet, this is something that will require time.
* For now they are planning on making changes to the materials required for repairs.
* There has been alot of complains that it costs to much gil to repair at the npc but this is something, they will wait and see for now. Mainly because the economy in the game does not require the players to use a lot of gil. He wants to first make changes to the economy and based on how gil flows after the changes, he will consider the repair npc price.
* By implementing these changes, he feels that there will be a clear difference between the items you get from quest/monster and from crafters (not sure if hes talking about stats or appearance, he simply says a clear difference)

so that's all of it, if there is something else you need me to translate let me know but remember my japanese is not perfect lol^^

As for getting content 'right now'. Companies IS content. Yoshida mentioned in one of his many interviews last month that when companies are released there will be content associated to them, in fact that was the reason they hadn't released the system until now (they said the ability to implement the system was finished last January). They were ready to release, but didn't have any content.

Munba said:

More likely it was programmed in with the intention of being launch content but then closed off when they couldn't finish it in time for launch.

Allard

Newest post from Yoshida says that he is considering removing Surplus SP (SP fatigue) when the raid dungeon is implemented.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Allard said:
Newest post from Yoshida says that he is considering removing Surplus SP (SP fatigue) when the raid dungeon is implemented.

I like that.

Munba

Another dev post about 2hr abilities:

Greetings everyone! We have heard about the possibility on 2 hour ability straight from the development team! Without further ado here's is what Akihiko Matsui, the FINAL FANTASY XIV Battle lead, had to say!

As of now, we are holding an overall review on the battle system, including the review on actions for each class. This may sound like a self-applause but as one of the creators of FINAL FANTASY XI, we feel that a lot of 2 hour abilities were very useful from both tactical and job characteristic perspectives. Thus we are considering about implementing similar kind of actions in each class. However with the action recast, we are considering about giving a further look to see if 2 hours is an appropriate amount of time or not based on the average time spent on upcoming new contents such as dungeon content. This is because the image we are having with these strong actions is to allow the use only once during the challenge.

Edit 1-
About crafting:

Hello everyone, this is Yoshi-P!

This is the first post on fixes to the game economy that the crafting and gathering teams are working on under the leadership of Komoto. Sorry it’s taken so long to post, and thank you all for the great feedback!
In regards to crafting, there have been a number of discussions in a number of threads, but before I actually reply to any of those individually, I’d like to first give you a summary of the current crafting system and the direction we’re taking it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Among all synthesis-related fixes, our top priority is revamping existing recipes. We currently see the following problems bogging down crafters:

* Too many recipes requiring too many materials
* Unbalanced rank requirements for obtaining materials and crafting items

We’re making considerable changes, all aimed at bolstering the role of Disciples of the Hand in Eorzea’s economy. Once the revised recipes are worked out, I’ll be sure to post in this thread again.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also plan to introduce the below adjustments to the Discipline of the Hand “character arc,” together with the recipe changes mentioned above:

* Ease of solo crafting activities up to rank 20
* More focused crafting and economic activity from rank 20 on

To start, we’ll be making progression to rank 20 for Disciples of the Hand and Land relatively easier. Beyond rank 20, we’ll have crafters participating in the market, and playing a more active role in the in-game economy.

We are planning a number of adjustments to the stats on crafted items, aimed at the following two ends:

* Create a characteristic uniqueness for Disciples of the Hand
* Allow Disciples of the Hand to craft items in high demand

For any given rank, there are differences between the important stats on pieces of gear suited for different classes. In line with this, we will be making adjustments that let crafters tweak the stats on crafted gear to customize it for certain classes. (Of course, we’ll be balancing Discipline of War and Magic classes at the same time.)

I mentioned this in one of my previous letters. These new concepts are not limited to simply new elements in the synthesis process, but also aim to stimulate the economy as much as possible. Through crafting, we plan to breathe new life into the game’s economy by improving gilflow and the distribution of items, and ultimately improving both the merits of, and motivations for, all classes.
Among the devs, we are tentatively calling this the Materia System, though that name may change. This new system will allow Disciples of the Hand to fuse materia to weapons and armor using special catalyst items gathered by Disciples of the Land.

* Disciples of War and Magic can customize and personalize their gear
* Disciples of the Hand can answer the materia-fusing needs of others
* Disciplies of the Land can gather catalyst items to meet the realm’s demands

I’ll be posting more details on the Materia System at a later date.

We’ve received a lot of feedback from players regarding the crafting gauge. So we actually tested the synthesis process without a gauge, and had our quality assurance team do the same. In the end, we thought it would be fairly simple to do away with the gauge altogether. We’ll be checking this out more carefully, however, so that future additions to the system will not negatively impact gameplay. This might take some time, so I have to ask for your patience until I’m in a position to write more about the direction we decide to take.
On the other hand, we’re thinking of bringing in some low-level “instant” crafting—quick recipes players can bang out without having to invest too much time.

Last but not least, we have the repair system. While the current repair system serves as a way for crafters to put themselves in demand, it’s also obvious that it’s not very popular among Disciples of War and Magic. But, after the release of the Materia System (see above), I think that the repair system will begin to balance itself out a bit more. It’s going to take some time before that system is ready, though, so in the meantime we’ll be reassessing the required materials for making repairs.
We’ve also received feedback on the high costs of repairing items via NPCs, but ask that you give us a little more time to keep an eye on this. Unfortunately, there aren’t many ways to take gil out of the game right now, but once we get a few more in, we’ll look at adjusting repair NPC costs.

By ushering in all of these changes, we’ll be drawing sharp distinctions between quest rewards, loot from battle, and the fruits of gatherer and crafter labors. In addition, it will also help to create more specific demands within the game economy. As always, we’re looking forward to your continued feedback and further discussion! For now, this is just an overview, and I’ll be making more posts in individual threads later.

Thanks!

Edit 2-

1.17 Patch Notes:

Patch 1.17 Outline (04/12/2011)

As promised in the seventh Letter from the Producer, we are happy to announce that patch 1.17 is on schedule for release in a matter of days.
◆ Patch 1.17 Release Date
Thursday, April 14, 2011 (following server maintenance)

◆ Patch 1.17 Maintenance Time
21:00 p.m. to 23:00 p.m. (GMT)

The following is a brief outline of the planned changes:

◆ Patch Outline
[dev1002] [dev1003] The implementation of new sidequests
[dev1011] The balancing of guildleve rewards
[dev1020] Adjustments and additions to the party system
Maximum party size has been reduced to 8 members.
Parties with 4 to 7 members are now called "light parties."
Parties with 8 members are called "full parties."
Special status enhancements will be granted to light and full parties. (Changes to party member display UI still under consideration.)
[dev1021] Adjustments to battle content in conjunction with the new party system
Adjustments to behest difficulty and bonuses to accommodate new full party size of 8 members.
Adjustments to the behest schedule.
[dev1029] Adjustments to environment collision detection
[dev1030] Adjustments to enemy distribution
[dev1031] The addition of new notorious monsters
[dev1038] The implementation of new equipment and items
[dev1039] The reduction of randomness affecting the approach phase in gathering
[dev1040] Adjustments and additions to active icons

A more detailed report can be found in the 1.17 patch notes, scheduled for release on April 14.

Jinko

[dev1002] [dev1003] The implementation of new sidequests
[dev1011] The balancing of guildleve rewards
[dev1020] Adjustments and additions to the party system
Maximum party size has been reduced to 8 members.
Parties with 4 to 7 members are now called "light parties."
Parties with 8 members are called "full parties."
Special status enhancements will be granted to light and full parties. (Changes to party member display UI still under consideration.)
[dev1021] Adjustments to battle content in conjunction with the new party system
Adjustments to behest difficulty and bonuses to accommodate new full party size of 8 members.
Adjustments to the behest schedule
[dev1029] Adjustments to environment collision detection
[dev1030] Adjustments to enemy distribution
[dev1031] The addition of new notorious monsters
[dev1038] The implementation of new equipment and items
[dev1039] The reduction of randomness affecting the approach phase in gathering
[dev1040] Adjustments and additions to active icons

Some good stuff in there I guess, Interesting what they are doing with crafting customisation, all we need now is stats to actually do something :p

Amneisac

I'm encouraged with a lot of the proposed changes. I know a lot of people like the crafting, but it's absurdly overwhelming with how many ingredients and recipes there are. I would like to see a better way of keeping track of what you can make in your inventory and also simpler recipes/fewer ingredients. I don't want a simple crafting system, but it could certainly use some streamlining.

Teknoman

They dont necessarily have to have 2hr cool down times, but if they are abilities that are 100% exclusive to that class and are actually useful (dont do anything that current skills already do), i'm all for it. On the subject of people complaining about elitism, the solution is simple: Play with other people. Besides, as long as you do a good job in the fight, I doubt anyone will truly care about your character set up.

Anything that helps to balance out the current classes, as well as add to their individuality, i'm all for.

EDIT: Get new avatars people :p

Teknoman

I wouldnt think about it too much. I'm still hovering around late 20s with my main class, and i've barely touched the other classes i'm interested in (Marauder, Harvester, Miner) since the game is just now trying to pick up steam.

Allard

Teknoman said:
I wouldnt think about it too much. I'm still hovering around late 20s with my main class, and i've barely touched the other classes i'm interested in (Marauder, Harvester, Miner) since the game is just now trying to pick up steam.

Yeah I'm just casually ranking up stuff, mostly in the gathering and crafting professions till the big combat overhaul hits. Haven't even touched a combat class in over a month because I have been spending so much time doing fieldcraft leves and local leves.

At this point it seems unwise to put a lot of time into the game with a huge combat overhaul around the corner. I've never been a believer in auto-attack and now that I've played a game with a superior combat system, I don't see myself going back to standing in one spot and watching my catgirl auto-plink trash mobs to death or faceroll 1-9 to kill it faster. I also wonder if the new NMs will actually have drops worth killing them for this time around.

Teknoman

They better spread the NM ranks around this time too. Low-mid ranks need something to mess around with too. Hopefully they keep up the trend of making the NMs look recognizably different.

EDIT: I guess I could get back to harvesting and mining since i've neglected those jobs from the start. I will say I want to at least get Gladiator to rank 30 before the combat changes.

Jinko

Coldsnap said:
Gatherers are going to be rich after patch

Materia won't be in patch, and probably won't be in the game for 6 months or more.

Giant cactuar do 10'000 needles how the hell would you beat it ?

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Materia won't be in patch, and probably won't be in the game for 6 months or more.

2hrs >:)

Seriously though, if they continue to improve directional damage and dodging, then you could possibly dodge the needle spray?

Cmagus

Jinko said:

Could have a timer when the 30 minutes on it is up it unleashes 10,000 needles

Riposte

Really not a fan of 2hrs. Dumbs down the game. For example in FFXI the challenging CoP fights revolved too much around them. It just isn't good design. It would have been across the board better if every job got a 2 min recast timer version which was much weaker, but useful enough to make classes different. Maybe I am asking too much though.

Teknoman

Somewhat, but they are still working on that as well.

EDIT: Yoshida update:

Hey guys! We spoke to Producer Yoshida and he likes your ideas about bringing more life to Eorzea and will be looking into them further. Currently the development staff is preoccupied with fixing systems with high priority so these ideas will take a little longer to be implemented but please look forward to it.

What other ideas do you have that would make Eorzea feel more alive? ^_^

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...on-for-the-future-of-Eorzea?p=84548#post84548

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

10k/8 = 1250 enough damage to spread around for a full party.

Teknoman

Community team has been on overdrive mode over the last few days:

Hello everyone! This is Producer/Director Yoshida!
Thanks so much for the discussions on surplus points. There have been a lot of threads in other regions on the same topic and many of the comments have been the same. Along with the implementation of new dungeon and raid environments, we’re looking towards the direction of basically eliminating this system.

I feel that it’s ideal that players decide on the play style.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/600-Please-get-rid-of-surplus-SP/page32

The development team is aware of your concerns but due to the fact that their current priority is the battle system, changes can’t be made right away, but they are thinking about doing this after. In order to implement these features, they would like to first implement text commands before this.

Please continue to send in your ideas for the dev. team!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/2755-Lackluster-boat-ride/page5

We confirmed with the dev. team that they are not only looking into boats, but all modes of transportation. Once we receive more information we will be sure to let you know!

Say what you want, but the boat ride really does need alot of work (water animation, monster attacks, different routes).

Nakazato

Teknoman said:
Community team has been on overdrive mode over the last few days:

Hello everyone! This is Producer/Director Yoshida!
Thanks so much for the discussions on surplus points. There have been a lot of threads in other regions on the same topic and many of the comments have been the same. Along with the implementation of new dungeon and raid environments, we’re looking towards the direction of basically eliminating this system.

I feel that it’s ideal that players decide on the play style.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/600-Please-get-rid-of-surplus-SP/page32

The development team is aware of your concerns but due to the fact that their current priority is the battle system, changes can’t be made right away, but they are thinking about doing this after. In order to implement these features, they would like to first implement text commands before this.

Please continue to send in your ideas for the dev. team!

We confirmed with the dev. team that they are not only looking into boats, but all modes of transportation. Once we receive more information we will be sure to let you know!

Say what you want, but the boat ride really does need alot of work (water animation, monster attacks, different routes).

Great news

Darte

I guess I can see both sides.

On one hand you have the folks who do nothing but grind and they don't want to be slowed down.

On the other, you have folks who are worried about RMT just grind festing to cap and killing the economy. Though with gathering their own jobs and crafting being slow to raise if you don't actually invest in grind sessions, with proper task force monitoring, you could really limit RMT activities to buying and selling accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom