• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Coldsnap said:
fuck
out of no where everytime i minimize my screen I get a direct X10 error. Shit sucks!!!!!!! Its been happening the past three days. When it happens I dont even bother logging back in lol

:O The witcher 2 cursed your computer.

Ravidrath

Man, the list of coming changes is insane. I plan on rerolling anyway, I think, but how the hell are they going to keep any character progress with, uh... most of these?

It is pretty ridiculous that they still haven't decided on an AH. With the Materia system coming, I think you could limit an AH to just NQ basic gear and synthesis materials and use the bazaars for HQ and augmented items. One of the biggest reasons the bazaars are such a failure is because the game is so crafting oriented and all the disciplines are interconnected, so making it difficult to find materials makes it impossible to provide basic gameplay elements.

Teknoman

Ravidrath said:
Man, the list of coming changes is insane. I plan on rerolling anyway, I think, but how the hell are they going to keep any character progress with, uh... most of these?

It is pretty ridiculous that they still haven't decided on an AH. With the Materia system coming, I think you could limit an AH to just NQ basic gear and synthesis materials and use the bazaars for HQ and augmented items. One of the biggest reasons the bazaars are such a failure is because the game is so crafting oriented and all the disciplines are interconnected, so making it difficult to find materials makes it impossible to provide basic gameplay elements.

They could just give everyone as many attribute points as they would normally have at that class rank, and then let them redistribute as necessary...or just turn on auto-distribute and all points would go where a default "insert class here" would have them. The actions...im not so sure, since I dunno if anything will be removed or simply improved/adjusted. The action bar is going to be totally different apparently, and the equipment probably wont change ranks required, but will have stats totally or partially rearranged.

Ravidrath

I really kind of don't understand how classes and jobs work together. Even though they specifically say they are not advanced versions of classes, they still sound like that to me.

My best guess is that the only reason they're keeping both is so they don't completely wipe out character progress, but I can't imagine people caring about classes once Jobs go in?

Perhaps it'll be like this...

* Jobs are unlocked by getting multiple classes to a specific rank - i.e. 50
* Classes are limited to rank 50
* Jobs are effectively replacements for Rank 51+​

For example, getting Rank 50 in Conjurer and 25 in Thaumaturge would unlock Black Mage. After completing the quest, you'd be able to start leveling Black Mage from Rank 1.

I do like the removal of Physical levels, and instead making it basically merit points for stats within a Class/Job. This means everyone will have at least a base level of performance, and you're specializing on top of that, instead of everyone having wildly disparate stats across all classes.

Darte

Ravidrath said:
Perhaps it'll be like this...

Actually, If I understand it correctly, Jobs both allow and restrict certain abilities.

So say you wanted to go PLD on gladiator, get glad to whatever rank is needed to unlock the job, do the quest, then "equip" that job.

Once you have PLD "equipped", you can no longer use certain glad abilities that don't seem to fit the PLD play style (whatever that ends up being in this game), but at the same time it allows you to quest for PLD based actions and abilities that you couldn't equip unless your job is set to PLD.

Ravidrath

Hmm, that makes sense, I guess.

Sounds like it'd probably come with stat bonuses to enhance that particular role, too? So a Gladiator with PLD would likely get a giant VIT boost, while with WAR it'd get a giant STR boost? Basically replacing the jobliness of trying to create those types of roles with the Physical level stats, with some elements of an instant-respec built in.

Uh, so do Jobs level up then? Like, will my PLD become better if I spent more time leveling my GLD with it than with WAR? Or is that now just a gear consideration?

Darte

Ravidrath said:
Hmm, that makes sense, I guess.

Sounds like it'd probably come with stat bonuses to enhance that particular role, too? So a Gladiator with PLD would likely get a giant VIT boost, while with WAR it'd get a giant STR boost? Basically replacing the jobliness of trying to create those types of roles with the Physical level stats, with some elements of an instant-respec built in.

Uh, so do Jobs level up then? Like, will my PLD become better if I spent more time leveling my GLD with it than with WAR? Or is that now just a gear consideration?

This I'm not sure on. Though from whats being said, jobs merely enhance a specific playstyle and don't require ranks on their own. If anything, I expect once you unlock a job, you'll have a bunch of traits and abilities from the base job itself + more abilities and traits that you can unlock based on your class rank.

Teknoman

I'm thinking about just letting the stats auto assign when that happens, so I just have to worry about skills and equipment again. Thats one thing that always got me in Diablo II...stat freedom, so I wouldn't know if I was "doing it right". Of course I never had any problems in parties, so maybe i'm thinking too much.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
I'm thinking about just letting the stats auto assign when that happens, so I just have to worry about skills and equipment again. Thats one thing that always got me in Diablo II...stat freedom, so I wouldn't know if I was "doing it right". Of course I never had any problems in parties, so maybe i'm thinking too much.
Although, when you think about it, Diablo II wan't really stat freedom at all. nearly every single viable build pretty much followed the formula of "points into as much STR as you need to wear gear, then put the rest into VIT". There's not really any point in freely assigning stat points if everyone's is gonna do it the same way anyway.

This is the reason they are going with automatically assigning stat points for Diablo III.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
Although, when you think about it, Diablo II wan't really stat freedom at all. nearly every single viable build pretty much followed the formula of "points into as much STR as you need to wear gear, then put the rest into VIT". There's not really any point in freely assigning stat points if everyone's is gonna do it the same way anyway.

This is the reason they are going with automatically assigning stat points for Diablo III.

True. Yeah, probably just go with auto-assign either way. Too much stuff to worry about with battles, skills, equipment and everything (hopefully).

Oh btw:

[dev1076] Creation of job assets

Development of graphical assets for each job such as equipment

Go nuts with suggestions.

Eccocid

What shall i do now lol
I am rank 15 now and still doing leves at that boring desert around Ul'dan :(
I loved how FFXI forced u to move to a new area in every 5 levels with totally different visuals...

Eccocid said:
What shall i do now lol
I loved how FFXI forced u to move to a new area in every 5 levels with totally different visuals...

You'll be doing leves in the Thanalan zone until rank 50...

Have a fun! :3

Coldsnap

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Yeah, think those were already in game. You go to the island for a class quest with arm and bsm for sure.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Eccocid said:
What shall i do now lol

Unknown Soldier said:
You'll be doing leves in the Thanalan zone until rank 50...

Have a fun! :3

Sadly, Unkown isnt lying. lol

You CAN walk to Grid or take the boat to Limsa though but yeah you'll probably spend most of your time in boreville(uldah) and thanalan camps.

Eccocid

Emenis said:
Sadly, Unkown is lying. lol

You CAN walk to Grid or take the boat to Limsa though but yeah you'll probably spend most of your time in boreville(uldah) and thanalan camps.

Already went to Limsa and made some few leves there. The geography around Limsa looks much better than Ul'dan but Limsa is such a ghost town lol

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Eccocid said:
Already went to Limsa and made some few leves there. The geography around Limsa looks much better than Ul'dan but Limsa is such a ghost town lol

Whoops I meant I agree with Unknown. D:

Jinko

Yea I duno what SE where thinking when they allowed you to level to current end cap in one zone like that.

Especially seeing how well they did with FF11's zones, They barely use Coerthus or Mor Dhona which is disappointing.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Yea I duno what SE where thinking when they allowed you to level to current end cap in one zone like that.

Especially seeing how well they did with FF11's zones, They barely use Coerthus or Mor Dhona which is disappointing.

Square tries to do everything super-efficiently on the server side of things, since that's the most expensive part of running an MMO. It's why they merged AHs in XI, it's why there isn't an AH in XIV, and it's why they have been recently working through XI to give people reasons to use all the zones for the entire game.

You can't shut down zones, so zones people don't use are expensive. So they designed the content with this in mind from the beginning.

I'm sure there's a way a more technically proficient company could write a system to dynamically allocate server capacity so that empty zones are minimally expensive, but my guess is that Square isn't that technically proficient.

Jinko

I don't think that true tbh.

And in all honesty the market wards causes much more server stress and crashing issues than a basic AH ever would, which in turn cause more work and are more expensive to run.

Also the 5 main zones are segmented into zones, each aethryte in this game has its own zone pretty much, they are just seamlessly (well that's debatable at times) linked together.

I think Renta had a poll over on the forums about it and think the majority were in favor of small loaded zones like 11 instead of the large boring ones in 14.

Coldsnap said:
wat FF type 0 was shown off and had airship battles ; ;

Type-0 (formerly known as Agito XIII) is a single-player game for PSP. A little different, I would think. Not that I'm defending FFXIV here, I'm not, but there's a difference between single-player RPGs and MMOGs.

I also failed to mention, not only are you going to be in Thanalan/Ul'dah from rank 1-50, past about rank mid-20's or so (which you get in 1 day), you only do the same 4 leves over and over again ad infinitum from rank 20's to 50, excluding behests: Necrologos: Levinshower, All Cracked Up, Necrologos: Ranine Reveries, and Dunesfolk for Dinner. That's ALL you will do, because those leves reward the most SP and nobody does any other ones. Once you've hit rank 50, since there is no content whatsoever all you can do after that is repeat the climb to rank 50 with another battle job, grind a crafting or gathering job to 50, or quit. Are you anticipating having fun yet?

Quit and join me in Tera already. What the hell are you waiting for, the Rapture? :3

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
Type-0 (formerly known as Agito XIII) is a single-player game for PSP. A little different, I would think. Not that I'm defending FFXIV here, I'm not, but there's a difference between single-player RPGs and MMOGs.

I also failed to mention, not only are you going to be in Thanalan/Ul'dah from rank 1-50, past about rank mid-20's or so (which you get in 1 day), you only do the same 4 leves over and over again ad infinitum from rank 20's to 50, excluding behests: Necrologos: Levinshower, All Cracked Up, Necrologos: Ranine Reveries, and Dunesfolk for Dinner. That's ALL you will do, because those leves reward the most SP and nobody does any other ones. Once you've hit rank 50, since there is no content whatsoever all you can do after that is repeat the climb to rank 50 with another battle job, grind a crafting or gathering job to 50, or quit. Are you anticipating having fun yet?

Quit and join me in Tera already. What the hell are you waiting for, the Rapture? :3

haha

You just don't give up do you? Some might find that annoying but I think it's hilarious.

Alex

Square tries to do everything super-efficiently on the server side of things, since that's the most expensive part of running an MMO. It's why they merged AHs in XI, it's why there isn't an AH in XIV, and it's why they have been recently working through XI to give people reasons to use all the zones for the entire game.

I really doubt any of this is true. They probably merged AH's in FFXI for convenience (they did this in WoW and in other MMOs too for the same reason) and didn't add one in XIV because the development team was completely inept.

The actual data transfer cost in these games is far, far below live development and customer support and usually not a chief concern unless it's digging into performance or lagging down servers.

If they wanted to go to such lengths, they wouldn't have so many stupid ass things in their games that need to talk to the server, creating really laggy menus and checks for simple things.

Emenis said:
haha

You just don't give up do you? Some might find that annoying but I think it's hilarious.

Why do you think I quit FFXIV? I'm always busy trying to disrupt people's comfortable predictable routines and thoughts. It works better on some people than others though, you guys can't seem to take a hint. :3

Well, have it your way. Even before I quit for good, the last few weeks after the earthquake all I did was stand still in town and chat. The game had become nothing but a chatroom for me with people I thought I could call my friends. At some point I had to quit, so when a convenient reason arrived for me to do that, I did. I kinda hoped some of you who I had thought of as friends would come with me to the next game, but I guess I was far too optimistic there. Very well, you'll get what you want there, I'll leave you guys alone from now on.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Unknown Soldier said:
Why do you think I quit FFXIV? I'm always busy trying to disrupt people's comfortable predictable routines and thoughts. It works better on some people than others though, you guys can't seem to take a hint. :3

Well, have it your way. Even before I quit for good, the last few weeks after the earthquake all I did was stand still in town and chat. The game had become nothing but a chatroom for me with people I thought I could call my friends. At some point I had to quit, so when a convenient reason arrived for me to do that, I did. I kinda hoped some of you who I had thought of as friends would come with me to the next game, but I guess I was far too optimistic there. Very well, you'll get what you want there, I'll leave you guys alone from now on.

hahaha

I didn't mean it that way! Shi and I don't even play anymore or at least until the patch next month. To be honest I don't even know what I want to do. XD Cheer up! I have nothing against you. lol

Anyway, yeah it seems that SE just really isn't used to PC development. Which is kinda weird considering they spent so much time on 11. Those are different teams though aren't they?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
At some point I had to quit, so when a convenient reason arrived for me to do that, I did. I kinda hoped some of you who I had thought of as friends would come with me to the next game, but I guess I was far too optimistic there. Very well, you'll get what you want there, I'll leave you guys alone from now on.
lol don't take it so personal. There's a lot of reasons why it's not feasible at the moment to play Tera.

Eccocid

Man i thought this game would be nice for killing time till the release od Dark Souls. I am rank 17 now and already got bored to death.

Till rank 17 and all those endless quests maybe i had interaction with other ppl in the game...3 times?(not counting LS chat). Once i had that defend the area thing around the camp with few other random ppl (lol my first party), once i asked for some directions to a stranger and last night i healed a random guy when he was killing dodos lol. I keep asking to ppl join to levequests around my rank but no one even bothers or replies. :(

Jinko

Eccocid said:
Man i thought this game would be nice for killing time till the release od Dark Souls. I am rank 17 now and already got bored to death.

Till rank 17 and all those endless quests maybe i had interaction with other ppl in the game...3 times?(not counting LS chat). Once i had that defend the area thing around the camp with few other random ppl (lol my first party), once i asked for some directions to a stranger and last night i healed a random guy when he was killing dodos lol. I keep asking to ppl join to levequests around my rank but no one even bothers or replies. :(

Yea there is a really crappy community in this game, its probably best to organize something with LS members (assuming they are still playing)

You have picked an awkward time to start playing as many people are taking a break until the mega patch (well we can hope) hits in mid June.

I would suggest trying to get a class to 30 so that when they release the new dungeons you will be able to take part as soon as you have installed the patch.

Eccocid

Jinko said:
Yea there is a really crappy community in this game, its probably best to organize something with LS members (assuming they are still playing)

You have picked an awkward time to start playing as many people are taking a break until the mega patch (well we can hope) hits in mid June.

I would suggest trying to get a class to 30 so that when they release the new dungeons you will be able to take part as soon as you have installed the patch.

I guess it may be the effects of playing FFXI before. I guess many players who are playing this game came from FFXI and probably got bored of those social aspects of mmorpgs.
No one even uses emotes! Cuz it is not something new to them lol.

Velion

Eccocid said:
I guess it may be the effects of playing FFXI before. I guess many players who are playing this game came from FFXI and probably got bored of those social aspects of mmorpgs.
No one even uses emotes! Cuz it is not something new to them lol.
Think its more along the line of that there's not much to do on the game at all nowadays, FFXI community is doing pretty well with helping others and etc.

Teknoman

Even though I dont play as much as usual, for obvious reasons, I had no idea people repeat the same leves over and over. I usually pick by reward, and then ask if anyone wants to join.

But yeah, I guess thats another reason why no one really talks aside from LS members (well sometimes you'll get the odd conversation if you try to talk to someone within reason) is that there really isnt any real reason for cooperation at the moment...and some people you have to force to cooperate.

That and the upcoming patches that are set to start a substantial revamp make people not want to progress too much.

I'll probably be messing around with marauder later today though.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ecco, there's probably a LS around that has more members who play during EU hours. Post on the official forums to ask.

Also, I see if I can get you a pearl to another LS that I am in. At this point, you kinda need multiple LSes to find other ppl.

Coldsnap

Unknown Soldier said:

no wai kawaii, you are essential to our FFXIV community. Even though you don't even play which says a lot!

Just started the game and the interface does a really shitty job of telling you where you should be going next. How the hell did you guys figure it out? I just did a leve quest solo and killed through hare's. Went back to the city and I'm not sure what to do next. The little person told me to visit the coliseum but I have no idea where the fuck it is and there is no clear marker for it on my map. I need my hand held!

Teknoman

DoctorWho said:
Just started the game and the interface does a really shitty job of telling you where you should be going next. How the hell did you guys figure it out? I just did a leve quest solo and killed through hare's. Went back to the city and I'm not sure what to do next. The little person told me to visit the coliseum but I have no idea where the fuck it is and there is no clear marker for it on my map. I need my hand held!

Isnt there a marker for that now?

Eccocid

DoctorWho said:

Actually you get markers for your quest on map but not in normal game map which opens by pressing "M".

Open up menu go to journal select your quest and you will see some options on that window like Abandon Cancel and MAP.. Only that map will show you where to go!

Jinko

DoctorWho said:

Welcome to the convoluted mess that is FFXIV :)

Don't worry you will either get used to it or leave. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom