• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Welcome to the convoluted mess that is FFXIV :)

Don't worry you will either get used to it or leave. :/

Well to be fair, the colosseum is pretty easy to find :p

Either way, hopefully the companies and people allying themselves with certain forces even the citystate populations a little.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Neat, my dyeing synthesis thread got a response. Looks like the recipes will be streamlined.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...thesis-Recipes?p=147454&viewfull=1#post147454

We do know that there are many color dying materials that can take up the majority of your inventory and the dev. team is planning to improve the process of color dyeing. These changes alongside the adjustments to recipes should make your inventories very happy!

There was also a clarification regarding the timeline: The changes listed in the recent producer letter are scheduled to be done by the time this summer is over.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DoctorWho said:
Just logged on to a patch. Any notes?

It's pretty much irrelevant.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11466-patch1.17b-Patch-1.17b-Notes

System

[dev1035] Target filter cycling has been removed from targeting mode A, and targeting mode C adde.

/targetmode (/tmode) [subcommand]
 >>Subcommands
 a Activate targeting mode A
 b Activate targeting mode B
 c Activate targeting mode C
 * Activating targeting mode C will set the target filter to ALL.
 * The default targeting mode is A.

[dev1083] A new text command has been added which allows players to specify targeting behavior when pressing confirm without a target selected.

/directtarget (/dtar) [subcommand]
 >>Subcommands
 on  Toggle direct targeting on.
   (Overrides active targeting mode to render all characters selectable.)
 off Toggle direct targeting off.
   (Determines selectable targets based on current targeting mode.)
 Toggle between on and off when no subcommand is specified.
 * The default setting is off.

Fixed Bugs

The following bugs have been addressed:

A bug wherein a party currently engaging a notorious monster could receive the benefits of items from other parties.
A bug wherein gnats did not link under certain circumstances.
A bug wherein players could not undertake certain duties in the sidequest "Seashells by the Seashore."
A bug wherein pressing Ctrl + T to scroll through the /tell history would skip the most recent recipient.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DoctorWho said:
Yawn

It's taking forever for something that is irrelevant.
Use a separate torrent client instead to DL the patches, then patch manually. It's faster.

But anyway, the servers aren't gonna be up for another 2 hours.

Londa

Banned
the official forums are on fire. XD!

New review: The game is great!

Lastly. Thankypu all for adding to this extremely amusing post.

It has kept me going for at least 27 minutes.

See you all in game.

We all know you love it, you don't care how small or big the patches are really do you, you'll play anyway, because you love the game and you love the idea of the game.

You know its potential. 1.17b is nothing, Nothing.

An MMO, constantly evolving because we can sit here and tell the devs directly what we think. That's special, that's something.

The game is great. I love it!

You lot make me laugh my ass off.

Kuro

Teknoman

So im back home...people expected 1.17b to have substantial content when it was already said 1.18 would be the start?

I mean I had slight hopes we'd see some NMs, but with June right around the corner...

Anyway, Bahoyne said that the letter X content basically meant all the stuff they wanted to add to the game before summer's end.

To clarify regarding the "plans for summer 2011" discussion; the items that Yoshida listed are things that we are planning to implement before the end of summer. Hopefully that's clearer!

EDIT: Did they block other torrent clients or something?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
So im back home...people expected 1.17b to have substantial content when it was already said 1.18 would be the start?
It was because of what Yoshida said 2 letters ago:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/9220-Letter-from-the-Producer-IX-(05-02-2011)

1.18 is going to be relatively bigger than previous patches. This means that balancing is going to take more time than usual, and so we’re anticipating a somewhat longer period between patches. Even if we break off some of the content and release it ahead of time in a 1.17b patch (which me might!), 1.18 will still go live sometime in mid-June at the earliest. Sorry for that.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Teknoman said:
Victim of direct translation, or just shoddy wording?
Hmm, I just went to take a look at the original Japanese post. It is a misunderstanding due to inaccurate translation.

途中にパッチ1.17b以降のシリーズを挟む可能性はあっても、パッチ1.18自体は6月中旬以降になってしまいそうです。ごめんなさい。

The English translation mentions the possibility of "breaking off content" and putting it into patch 1.17b. The implication is that the reason for the existence of a 1.17b would be to break off some content from 1.18 and release it early.

The Japanese original post implies nothing with respect to early content release at all.

Teknoman

Seriously...S-E needs to hire a new translator for those.

EDIT: Could you do a quick direct translation of that section of the JP letter?

Ugh...why am I stuck at 8.5%...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/9219-第9回-FFXIVプロデューサーレター-(2011-05-02)

パッチ1.17およびパッチ1.17aのリリースを終えて、そのままの勢いでパッチ1.18に向けスタートしています!

ただ、パッチ1.18はかなり規模の大きいものになり、しっかりとバランス調整を行わなければいけないため、これまでのパッチリリースの間隔よりも、期間が長くなる見通しです。途中にパッチ1.17b以降のシリーズを挟む可能性はあっても、パッチ1.18自体は6月中旬以降になってしまいそうです。ごめんなさい。

"We finished patch 1.17 and 1.17a, and with that same vigor we start on patch 1.18.

Patch 1.18 is really big, and because we have to steadily work on the balance adjustments, we predict that the interval between patches will take longer than previous patches. Even if in the meantime we have the possibility to release a subsequent patch 1.17b , it looks like patch 1.18 itself will be released on or after mid-June. I'm sorry."

That's basically what it says without any embellishments.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
I said they needed a new translator a long time ago. lol

They word stuff too weird and it just causes more confusion.

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/9219-第9回-FFXIVプロデューサーレター-(2011-05-02)

"We finished patch 1.17 and 1.17a, and with that same vigor we start on patch 1.18.

Patch 1.18 is really big, and because we have to steadily work on the balance adjustments, we predict that the interval between patches will take longer than previous patches. Even if in the meantime we have the possibility to release a subsequent patch 1.17b , it looks like patch 1.18 itself will be released on or after mid-June. I'm sorry."

That's basically what it says without any embellishments.

I dont see anything wrong with that. Its pretty much to the point...so why cant they just post something like that instead of trying to add things in? I'm just glad Letter X was pretty straight forward aside from the summer 2011 section...but now thats been clarified too.

Ravidrath

Anyone else looking forward to the Grand Companies?

They sound like a mixture of Campaign Battle and Warhammer's Public Quests, which sounds pretty awesome.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol Tek, I think the discussion about the mistranslation on the Producer Letter made the mods nuke my thread.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11558-1.17b-Patch-Notes-Discussion-Worth-the-Wait

It's not there anymore.

But Google never forgets!

http://www.google.com/search?q=http...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Hmm, apparently my thread was also linked to on 2ch.

http://kamome.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ogame/1306185431/

"外人もブチギレてるか呆れてるか諦めるかしてるな"
"So, the foreigners (americans, europeans, etc) are also pissed off, surprised, gonna quit, etc, huh.

"外人も失望してるっぽいなw 日本と同じ空気だわ "
"Looks like the foreigners are disappointed too lol. Same feelings as in Japan."

Also interesting to note - a friend took a look at the German translation, and it too does not mention anything about breaking off content from 1.18 to maybe put into 1.17b.

Londa

Banned
We finished patch 1.17 and 1.17a, and with that same vigor we start on patch 1.18.

whoa then patch 1.18 will be just like patch 1.17 if it was done in the same vigor as 1.17. Seriously wtf is going on? Even when you look at the timeline, not much has been crossed out. There is still no player housing on the list.....

"So, the foreigners (americans, europeans, etc) are also pissed off, surprised, gonna quit, etc, huh.

I like how we are called foreigners even while we are standing on American or european soil. XD

Londa said:
I like how we are called foreigners even while we are standing on American or european soil. XD

The concept of "foreigners" is relative. Even when standing on their own soil, foreigners are still foreign ( as in not native to your land).

Jinko

Yea but they use it as a derogatory terms, Japanese are very Xenophobic and like to think themselves better than the rest of us.

Gaijin was originally used to refer to an outsider or enemy but has kind of changed over the years but they still use it non the less.

Munba said:
They confirmed it in development in one post 2 weeks ago, also about a possibile LS Housing.

What is so important about housing? What type of benefits come from having one?

Jinko said:
Yea but they use it as a derogatory terms, Japanese are very Xenophobic and like to think themselves better than the rest of us.

Gaijin was originally used to refer to an outsider or enemy but has kind of changed over the years but they still use it non the less.

Y'know, I have studied many cultures and the general demeanor of people. I don't think Japan or any other asian country is really "Xenophobic". I think just like america, they have a very strong sense of pride in their country. And in those countries that are "not" cultural melting pots the individuals inside a particular country are considered singular representations of that country.

So when a stranger goes to Japan, or Korea, or mainland china, they are not viewed as an individual (as you may be perceived in your own country) but you are perceived as a walking stereotypical representation of your country.

So I think it is less about "racism" and more about very strong perceived sterotypes.

Munba

staticneuron said:

I find entertaining and immersive to have an own house and put furnishings inside. Nothing so important to have it before the important fixes obviously but a feature i would like to have in the future for sure (thinking also for the many possibilities about it).

Munba said:
I find entertaining and immersive to have an own house and put furnishings inside. Nothing so important to have it before the important fixes obviously but a feature i would like to have in the future for sure (thinking also for the many possibilities about it).

I see. That does sound interesting. I imagine everyone would go "home" to craft though. lol.

Jinko

staticneuron said:
So I think it is less about "racism" and more about very strong perceived sterotypes.

Isn't that just splitting hairs though ? racism is based around ignorance after all and stereotyping someone by their nationality or race isn't really a step in a positive direction.

Anyhoo...

Yea I would like to see player housing also, LOTRO did an amazing job with player houseing and many F2P games now have player housing Runes of Magic for example, doesn't look like we will be getting house moogles this time though :(

Eccocid

hey about player housing....Since this game doesn have any...WHERE THE HELL DO U PUT YOUR EXTRA ITEMS WHEN YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL? loli keep discarding items for new ones :(

Jinko

Funny you mention going home to craft, RoM allowed you to go home and read books whilst you AFK which increased your crafting skill lol.

Who needs a bot when its build into the game :p

Would be cool if 14 allowed you to buy a stove (other facilities) which increased your crafting success.

Londa

Banned
Munba said:
They confirmed it in development in one post 2 weeks ago, also about a possibile LS Housing.

I know, but it worries me that it is not on the to-do list.

staticneuron said:

I can't speak for anyone else but for me, player housing is very important. It will allow me to do gardening by planting seeds in a flower pot inside of my house. I can feed them crystals and after a week, I harvest them for items.

Another feature is storage in your house. I was able to store so much gear in my FFXI house. A mailbox was also a part of my mog house, but I don't know how mail will be introduced in FFXIV. Because housing and mailboxes seem separate, since mail boxes are on the list but housing isnt.

I also really enjoyed furniture in my house. I really liked how if you arranged your furniture it gave you a stat boost. Now it wasn't very important to have. But it made for great theories on the forums.

I just really liked having a home in Final Fantasy.

I see. That does sound interesting. I imagine everyone would go "home" to craft though. lol.

lol I did that in FFXI, but it was smarter to craft at the guilds for support.

Eccocid said:
hey about player housing....Since this game doesn have any...WHERE THE HELL DO U PUT YOUR EXTRA ITEMS WHEN YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL? loli keep discarding items for new ones :(

for right now, all we can do is give it to our retainers. We are only allowed 2 retainers at the moment.

Teknoman

Eccocid said:

Give em to a retainer to hold. There is a person in every adventurer's guild that tells you about them...think you can have up to two now?

Rentahamster said:
lol Tek, I think the discussion about the mistranslation on the Producer Letter made the mods nuke my thread.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11558-1.17b-Patch-Notes-Discussion-Worth-the-Wait

It's not there anymore.

But Google never forgets!

http://www.google.com/search?q=http...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Hmm, apparently my thread was also linked to on 2ch.

http://kamome.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ogame/1306185431/

"外人も失望してるっぽいなw 日本と同じ空気だわ "
"Looks like the foreigners are disappointed too lol. Same feelings as in Japan."

Also interesting to note - a friend took a look at the German translation, and it too does not mention anything about breaking off content from 1.18 to maybe put into 1.17b.

Heh im surprised they were disappointed too if there we no mention of it in their letter. I guess its a good thing that the 1.18 patch wait is universal though...you'd think that would make S-E put a ton into it. or at least as much as they can.

Wonder how long its gonna be until they update the rest of the company dungeon page or post videos of the battle system for that matter. They said mid-may for the dungeon teaser, but there was only one posted.

About the capes, do they just mean as accessories, or will they actually be visible like every other piece of equipment is now? Wouldnt mind having some Cecil paladin cape style stuff.

EDIT: Looking at a google translate, I guess its confirmed that they want to add visual mantles/capes (i guess that'll work for stoles or scarves too) but are having trouble getting the animations right.

Jinko said:
Isn't that just splitting hairs though ? racism is based around ignorance after all and stereotyping someone by their nationality or race isn't really a step in a positive direction.

Normally racism is about hate or the superiority of one race over the other. The Japanese tend to define people by "where" they come from not their race specifically, so yes there is a difference and one I find to be less malicious. Therefore, stereotypes based off of country of origin normally highlights the level of ignorance of whomever you are talking to. The easier it is to read someone, the better I feel.

Londa said:
I can't speak for anyone else but for me, player housing is very important. It will allow me to do gardening by planting seeds in a flower pot inside of my house. I can feed them crystals and after a week, I harvest them for items.

Another feature is storage in your house. I was able to store so much gear in my FFXI house. A mailbox was also a part of my mog house, but I don't know how mail will be introduced in FFXIV. Because housing and mailboxes seem separate, since mail boxes are on the list but housing isnt.

I also really enjoyed furniture in my house. I really liked how if you arranged your furniture it gave you a stat boost. Now it wasn't very important to have. But it made for great theories on the forums.

I just really liked having a home in Final Fantasy.

Storage and stat boost sound really good to me. I am on board. I hope the hurry up on implementing the houses.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Teknoman

Rentahamster said:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/10792-DevTalk-Chocobo-Thread.-Riding!-Raising!-Racing!-You-Know-You-Want-Your-Fix?p=149903&viewfull=1#post149903

I updated my thread with 2 new dev posts from the JPN side. No new info, really, but they just want players to tell them what they want to ride.

Personally, I think it should only be chocobos. This is FF, that's what it is.

Apparently magitek armor is a popular suggestion over on the JPN side.

I can take magitek if there are certain areas you can only access via magitek armor.

Jinko

Munba said:
I want a dodo to ride lol

Yeah, magitek armour in special (war) areas would be nice.

Yup I still want my Dodobo, although Mechanical Dodo might be worth thinking about ..

I would rather not see Magitek armour to be honest.

Munba

I think they are always these intended to represent magitek armour,

war.jpg

and maybe some frontier territories near Garleans bounds, could become war areas to permit you to use these like 'combat-mount'.

Tumalu

Munba said:
Wait, what? That contradicts what the rep from the thread you just linked to said. Am I missing something here?

The thread starter said they'd like to see capes implemented because they think capes look cool. The rep came in and said that they checked with the dev team, and were told that it didn't seem likely at this point because they'd have to raise the required specs to support the fluttery effect that one would expect from a cape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom