• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Tumalu said:
Wait, what? That contradicts what the rep from the thread you just linked to said. Am I missing something here?

The thread starter said they'd like to see capes implemented because they think capes look cool. The rep came in and said that they checked with the dev team, and were told that it didn't seem likely at this point because they'd have to raise the required specs to support the fluttery effect that one would expect from a cape.
Yeah, he said that there's no plans for implementation because doing so would be too difficult. FF14 doesn't have the right specs for it, or something.

Time to upgrade to DX11, SE lol

Tumalu

Londa said:
That is interesting and really hard for me to believe.

Question, is this game higher spec than FFXIV?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWqERykVTGM&feature=related
I'm a bit skeptical of their reasoning as well, but to be fair, the video you linked to appears to only have to deal with one cape. In FF14, they'd have to be ready to handle the fluttering capes of all 100 people huddled around the BW aetheryte right after the refresh.

Jinko

Exactly this game can barely render more than 20 people within a small area, adding capes on top of that is just asking for trouble.

Although its their own fault for having such highly detailed character models, not that I'm complaining :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This game doesn't use low res/low poly models for monsters or players/NPCs in the distance, right? That's why everything just pops into view, right?

Munba

Tumalu said:
Wait, what? That contradicts what the rep from the thread you just linked to said. Am I missing something here?

The thread starter said they'd like to see capes implemented because they think capes look cool. The rep came in and said that they checked with the dev team, and were told that it didn't seem likely at this point because they'd have to raise the required specs to support the fluttery effect that one would expect from a cape.

Oh well, without an official translation i googled it but it seems it failed lol In any case, they have to upgrade engine in the future with dx10/11 (so they said time ago), so maybe we'll see capes in the (far) future.

edit: there is another post about capes today:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/1387-マント実装について?p=150848#post150848

Dunno what it says.

Munba

That is crazy news °_°

edit- in any case, if they'll announce this fiscal year, it means the title is under development for 3 years at least. So already in the pipe before ff14 release.. But i don't think will be so 'major' like a dragon quet online... maybe a front mission one?

Londa

Banned
Tumalu said:
I'm a bit skeptical of their reasoning as well, but to be fair, the video you linked to appears to only have to deal with one cape. In FF14, they'd have to be ready to handle the fluttering capes of all 100 people huddled around the BW aetheryte right after the refresh.

You have a good point. One way they could go about having capes in the game is having capes like lighting's that only hang on one side and possibly much more shorter, so that there isn't a lot of flapping to be had. However I guess I just really wanted capes. Atleast earrings and jewelry show on your character. That is one like I really like about the game. Too bad there is only a limited amount of jewelry. One reason I think this is, is that the mines isn't open to adventurers.

The thread was closed :(

What was inside? ;_;

Londa

Banned
I've seen those in images, but not actually up close. Make me wonder why the thread was closed, if those places are already accessible in game.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Londa said:
I've seen those in images, but not actually up close. Make me wonder why the thread was closed, if those places are already accessible in game.

Many of they are accessible by glitch so is why the thread had been removed.

PD: Happy to see you :)

Gromph

Staff Member
Emenis said:
Just the "dungeons", the rest have always been there.

Ishgard road is a glitch too.

As i remember that thread had mod comments, when there are no glitch zones.

Allard

Coldsnap said:
This makes me so furious! makes me want to quit more than anything else so far haha. This is so like square.

MMO's take a lot of time to develop. Whatever this MMO is that they plan to announce, it was green lit well before FFXIV was even announced probably. The good thing is that this mysterious MMO is likely to release in much better condition then FFXIV did, no way Wada is going to let a disaster like that happen a second time in a row, especially if it ends up being a big franchise like Dragon Quest or something else of even remotely similar caliber.

Allard

Coldsnap said:
Is Allard THE J Allard? If so I believe every word he says and ask where he buys his hoodie blazers at.

haha

Nope, I am fictional representation hopeless hope! :p. And my next hope is that 'if' that next MMO is squandered and has as big or worse failing as FFXIV... that Wada gets the boot out the door the next day. Yes... its hopeless hope :(. (He should have been out the door LONG ago even before the last couple years of horrible failings.)

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Yup, just the ps3 version. I wonder how it looks on that thing considering it doesn't run that well on PC either.

Munba

I really hope this means also optimization of the pc version, not only ps3 one. And put that damn dx10 inside..

Gromph

Staff Member
Munba said:
I really hope this means also optimization of the pc version, not only ps3 one. And put that damn dx10 inside..

DX11 better, so high end GPU's can use good AO and DoF

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Eccocid said:
Are servers down? bohoho after a week i decided to play the game and bam servers are dead lol :(
kthxbai ;_;

They were according to lodestone.

They have been having technical difficulties with all the servers A LOT more often since patch 1.17a I think.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Eccocid said:
Are servers down? bohoho after a week i decided to play the game and bam servers are dead lol :(
kthxbai ;_;
Hey remember your hassle at trying to get the game started? Well, the developers feel your pain (lol)

@ 6 min

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/fina...-interview-with-nobuaki-komoto-and-sage-sundi

"We are aware that there are many many steps to get in to FF14 from the moment the player opens the box until they get in to actually playing the game. Many steps especially compared to some of the F2P MMOs out there. However, there are a lot of MMos that have a complex system to start...while we sympathize with the users, we also are happy to let you know that this grueling process only needs to done once, and one the hurdle has been clear, it's smooth sailing."

I was just looking over past developer interviews to try and see what they were trying to do this whole time. I'm still not so sure what the grand plan was...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
New Megathread by me incoming - this time about my proposed battle UI changes.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/...le-UI-Changes-and-Suggestions-Mockup-Included

I even made a handy graphic, too.

Larger English: http://i.imgur.com/O29Mr.jpg

Larger Japanese: http://i.imgur.com/1OCM7.jpg

0b5rxmO-IdoYi_DVtHsMe8eEA58xyPwAK49641ft6I.jpg

Are any of you guys fans of the SMT games?

I've been playing around a bit with Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine. It's the first game I've been able to force 64x CSAA SLI AA in and still lock the framerate at 60fps, because that's pretty much how old it is. It was first released in 2007 and has been operating continuously since then. It's a F2P MMOG, and the game client is only a 1.37GB download. There are no CGI cutscenes, and there is no voice acting of any kind. This is Atlus, not Squenix we're talking about here. So you can forget about technological razzle-dazzle, but you can look forward to the classic SMT-style post-apocalyptic cyberpunk pseudo-metaphysical morally-ambiguous storyline.

The game itself takes place between the events of the original Shin Megami Tensei (the 1992 Super Famicom game) and Shin Megami Tensei II (1994), and since it follows the original SMT storyline it has demon battling/conversing, summoning, and fusion like you'd expect from an SMT title. If you've played Persona 2: Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment or Nocturne you pretty much know what's up. Having conversations with demons is as hilarious as I remember from those games, especially if you're in a hurry and just choose the options to piss them off as much as possible because you just want them to go away or fight you already.

Graphically it looks a lot like Nocturne or the Digital Devil Saga titles and seems to have similar PS2-level assets. Fortunately your Glorious Master Race PC can run it at higher resolution than a PS2 can, though hilariously it supports exactly 3 resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024. Nvidia owners can force AA and SLI with a custom profile, it uses Gamebryo so using the Oblivion AA and SLI profiles works perfectly, as if you need SLI for this game. But having 64x AA is pretty awesome I guess. It actually looks pretty good all things considered, as the assets have the classic SMT art design including all the characters and demons and so forth.

If you guys want to try this out a bit and play with me, you can download it here:
http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

It's a standard F2P game with an in-game mall where you buy items with real money. I'm not planning on spending a dime for however long I plan to mess around with this game.

Coldsnap

Unknown Soldier said:
Are any of you guys fans of the SMT games?

I've been playing around a bit with Shin Megami Tensei Online: Imagine. It's the first game I've been able to force 64x CSAA SLI AA in and still lock the framerate at 60fps, because that's pretty much how old it is. It was first released in 2007 and has been operating continuously since then. It's a F2P MMOG, and the game client is only a 1.37GB download. There are no CGI cutscenes, and there is no voice acting of any kind. This is Atlus, not Squenix we're talking about here. So you can forget about technological razzle-dazzle, but you can look forward to the classic SMT-style post-apocalyptic cyberpunk pseudo-metaphysical morally-ambiguous storyline.

The game itself takes place between the events of the original Shin Megami Tensei (the 1992 Super Famicom game) and Shin Megami Tensei II (1994), and since it follows the original SMT storyline it has demon battling/conversing, summoning, and fusion like you'd expect from an SMT title. If you've played Persona 2: Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment or Nocturne you pretty much know what's up. Having conversations with demons is as hilarious as I remember from those games, especially if you're in a hurry and just choose the options to piss them off as much as possible because you just want them to go away or fight you already.

Graphically it looks a lot like Nocturne or the Digital Devil Saga titles and seems to have similar PS2-level assets. Fortunately your Glorious Master Race PC can run it at higher resolution than a PS2 can, though hilariously it supports exactly 3 resolutions: 800x600, 1024x768, and 1280x1024. Nvidia owners can force AA and SLI with a custom profile, it uses Gamebryo so using the Oblivion AA and SLI profiles works perfectly, as if you need SLI for this game. But having 64x AA is pretty awesome I guess. It actually looks pretty good all things considered, as the assets have the classic SMT art design including all the characters and demons and so forth.

If you guys want to try this out a bit and play with me, you can download it here:
http://megaten.aeriagames.com/

It's a standard F2P game with an in-game mall where you buy items with real money. I'm not planning on spending a dime for however long I plan to mess around with this game.

Game has always looked cool. Is it in english?

Jinko

Yea I played SMT online for a while I quit cause I couldn't find people to group up with for dungeons.

I'm playing Wakfu this week and its pretty awesome, really nice 2D graphics, you guys should come try it out on the EU server its open better over here, I think US is still closed.

Nice thread Renta, nice that you did it in Japanese as well, hopefully they will take note of it.

FWIW you don't need to press enter to confirm when healing someone.

How I heal:- Select Cure (say press 7) for example and then select members name in part list with left click will heal them directly.

I like the idea of the right click quick skill though would make healing much much easier.

Eccocid

Are all servers still down?
The Lodestone page says onl few are down including Lindblum but when i google "ffxiv server status" the webpages liek Zam says they are all down!

But then why Lodestone says only few of them are down? Wth is going on?
I think i will give up FF XIV and start a new mmorpg. MY EVE account is still active, do u any of you play EVE? Or what else do you suggest?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Eccocid said:
Are all servers still down?
The Lodestone page says onl few are down including Lindblum but when i google "ffxiv server status" the webpages liek Zam says they are all down!

But then why Lodestone says only few of them are down? Wth is going on?
I think i will give up FF XIV and start a new mmorpg. MY EVE account is still active, do u any of you play EVE? Or what else do you suggest?

I just checked and I was able to get on Lindblum. o_O

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Jinko said:
WoW that was fast :O

So anyone translating that post Munba mentioned above ? . . :p

I will! Gimme some time to learn Japanese first. That's a lot of stuff to translate though. lol Probably not even worth it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom